Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 7, 2009 3:24 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Possibly the most unique way of story telling I've seen so far. Loved pretty much everything about it. Music was especially great.
Aug 8, 2009 9:45 PM

May 2009
It was great!Very cute loved the story <3
Oct 13, 2009 9:39 PM

Jan 2009
It was really trippy at times. I know his movies can be trippy, just wasn't expecting this one to be like that. I kind of liked his other movies better though. Still good though. 8.4/10
Dec 9, 2009 7:34 AM

Jan 2008
Wonderful movie, each aspect was brilliant and the ending had not flaw. Now as I am listening this instrumental soundtrack I am sure that rating 10 was right choice.

Definitely in Top 3 movies ever.
Jan 8, 2010 3:43 PM

Feb 2009
aero said:

Possibly the most unique way of story telling I've seen so far.

Indeed,unique!
Heartless_cz said:
Wonderful movie, each aspect was brilliant and the ending had not flaw.

Agreed!

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Feb 24, 2010 10:38 AM
Apr 2008
Wow this was amazing. I loved how the story was told and found the story quite... touching :)
Mar 3, 2010 9:53 PM

May 2009
The exquisite story of an intriguing woman's life. Told in an innovative and cinematic manner. Superbly animated. It's easy to see why this film is cherished by many of those who have watched it. Bravo to all those involved in it's creation.
May 2, 2010 4:12 AM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
It was the chase she loved.

May 18, 2010 10:07 PM

Apr 2008
Chasing for someone that doesn't exist, thats mind-boggling. The final minutes made the movie worth watching.

7-8/10 I enjoyed it.
Jun 29, 2010 7:03 AM

Feb 2010
it was very interesting

i was confused at first but in the end i understood it

Desktop Specs: CPU: AMD FX-4130 Quad Core @ 3.8GHz, Motherboard: ASRock N68-VS3 FX, GPU: 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti SC (EVGA), Ram: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 535MHz, Case: Raidmax ATX (Black), Storage: 931GB Western Digital Blue (SATA), PSU: 550 watt, Display: BenQ RL2455
Jul 10, 2010 8:22 AM

Jul 2008
ChaosLegion said:
aero said:

Possibly the most unique way of story telling I've seen so far.

Indeed,unique!
Heartless_cz said:
Wonderful movie, each aspect was brilliant and the ending had not flaw.

Agreed!

i totally agree

ArcticMech said:
The exquisite story of an intriguing woman's life. Told in an innovative and cinematic manner. Superbly animated. It's easy to see why this film is cherished by many of those who have watched it. Bravo to all those involved in it's creation.
Aug 25, 2010 9:06 PM

Apr 2009
I watched this when I heard that its director, Satoshi Kon, died.. while I may not know him because I am not very particular of anime movies, i could see in this movie why we should mourn for him because we have just lost a good talent in the industry.. Millennium Actress is essentially a masterpiece.. i'm surprised that i was just able to watch something that is really worth a 10 as i have been becoming strict on rating 10's recently..
Aug 27, 2010 2:34 AM

Apr 2009
argilium said:
I watched this when I heard that its director, Satoshi Kon, died.. while I may not know him because I am not very particular of anime movies, i could see in this movie why we should mourn for him because we have just lost a good talent in the industry.. Millennium Actress is essentially a masterpiece.. i'm surprised that i was just able to watch something that is really worth a 10 as i have been becoming strict on rating 10's recently..

+1 in everything.
Aug 29, 2010 1:40 PM

Jan 2010
Satoshi Kon best work, man, that last phase was so awesome, one of the most remarkable phase I ever heard so far.
Sep 9, 2010 11:06 AM
Apr 2009
Satoshi Kon was a genius.
Dec 29, 2010 8:47 AM

Jun 2008
If this is actually the best movie of Satoshi Kon (RIP), my disappointment becomes even bigger.
I watched Millennium Actress, my first movie by this author, a few days ago, and I was expecting a lot more.
The story is confused, messy, non-linear, and inconclusive.
The characters, apart from being very few, were nothing great, and Chiyoko was almost irritating. All she does in the movie is running and chasing for her beloved non-existant man while holding that goddamn key. lol @ the "omg, I lost the key, help me find it now!!!11!!1" scene.
The only things I liked were the animation, the character design, the music, and the "feudal Japan" parts. These things only are what makes the movie watchable.
I can't stand those productions that forcefully want to be poetic and touching at all costs, and seem sparkling masterpieces on the outside, while (in Millennium Actress case) they don't even have a coherent and well-written story or likeable main characters. And neither I will ever understand those who rate such things 10, saying "ooohh, it's so deep and graphically beautiful, let's all rate it 10".
Not a bad movie overall, but surely not a memorable one.

hugging six rabbits and having pink nightmares
Jan 1, 2011 3:46 PM

Feb 2008
Biggest mindfuck I have seen this year in animation, and its not even from a sci fi genre.

Salute to Satoshi Kon!
Jan 3, 2011 9:38 AM

Sep 2008
it was a great idea and the first 20 mins + the last 10 mins were awesome. The main problem I had with the movie was it felt overdone, repetitive and had some pacing issues (some scenes drag unnecessarily). Definitely not a masterpiece, but a great watch nonetheless
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Feb 15, 2011 4:15 AM
Apr 2010
Satoshi Kon = story telling genius. I really wish he was involved in more projects.

His unique style is and will be missed.
Mar 9, 2011 12:53 AM

Aug 2009
Chicken_Ramen said:
Satoshi Kon = story telling genius. I really wish he was involved in more projects.

His unique style is and will be missed.

Ditto!

I admit I couldn't really relate to Chiyoko, but I enjoyed Millennium Actress nonetheless. Such a unique approach to storytelling.
Scenes from all those different movies Chiyoko had acted in were like a sort of homage to different historical movie genres and I just loved that.

The two reporters were simply irreplaceable; they served as great comic relief characters and this movie wouldn't be the same without them. Too bad that sense of humour wasn't prominent in the second half as much as in the first.

The movie certainly won't be everyone's cup of tea, not only because it's not the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the term 'anime', but also because of its non-linear plot which is at some times hard to follow.
All in all, I give it an eight, but that's prolly cuz i'm a scrooge when it comes to rating anime.

P.S
K0S-M0S said:

WIN
Mar 22, 2011 3:35 AM

Feb 2010
Millennium Actress was more of an animator's playground than anything else, and even then failed to impress. The story lacked direction and winded in a sappy mess. The Japanese love to drive their characters to madness via brief childhood love, and this film is no exception.

Forrest Gump does this concept right. And it's actually funny.
May 13, 2011 4:47 PM

Oct 2010
Well... If I would write a review of this movie I would write one sentence and it would be:

It was so amazing it broke my heart.

And one sentence can't be a review. I loved the story because this kind of love is difficult to accept. You would be called stupid and a madman if you loved in that kind of way. But I think it is noble to love so free and fully. Even if it's an illusion.

I loved the storyline. The mix of scenes like they were from here movie scenes. You could interpret it like her reincarnation over and over again, born again and loving him again, never catching him. You can interpret everything just by pure coincidents. The main thing that is amazing is that the jumps in betwen the sceenes doesn't hurt the main thread.

I cried when the director told that the man died ages ago and she was chasing and illusion. But that is the real life and human brains which creates an image only able to be seen to one and only person.

No matter what. This movie is amazing and I am chasing something similar to it everytime I am loged up here. :D I am happy I stumbled over this, it cleansed me. :)
May 17, 2011 12:29 PM
Jan 2010
Young chiyo was so cute I died
Jun 3, 2011 12:35 AM

Mar 2009
It was alright at first but I started losing interest as it went on.

I liked the line she said at the end though, about loving the chase.
Jun 20, 2011 4:21 AM

Jan 2011
I wasn't paying much attention to it XD so I was inevitably wtf'ed
near the end it got a bit clearer and the ending was quite sad
animation was okay nothing special and the sound was good
overall 7/10
"Where will a newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite" - Motoko Kusanagi
Sep 26, 2011 11:54 PM
Aug 2011
This movie... definitely one of the best ever. The ending is sad, yes, but also very optimistic and beautiful. Even though Chiyoko essentially ended up having chased a fantasy, she contributed so much... It's a testament to love and life done better than any other film.
Sep 29, 2011 1:56 PM

Jun 2009
Maybe I'm overreacting.

The first time I saw this movie was two years ago, and up until now I still think it's the best movie I've ever seen.

No, not just as an anime movie.
Nov 12, 2011 7:30 PM
Aug 2011
Iliya said:
Maybe I'm overreacting.

The first time I saw this movie was two years ago, and up until now I still think it's the best movie I've ever seen.

No, not just as an anime movie.

Not an overreaction. It is freaking fantastic.
Dec 15, 2011 3:46 AM

Dec 2009
I love this movie. Such great story telling and a heart warming plot.
Forgive me for sounding poetic but a woman's love knows no bounds.
Jan 15, 2012 10:16 AM

Nov 2011
I enjoyed it a hole lot maybe one of his best.
Great move 9/10
Mar 11, 2012 12:12 PM

May 2009
That was a great movie! I watched Paprika first and the style is great, Most of the movie I couldn't tell if some of the parts were from reality or from the movies. One of the best movies i've seen.
Apr 16, 2012 10:28 PM

May 2010
hellogoodbye said:
Millennium Actress was more of an animator's playground than anything else, and even then failed to impress. The story lacked direction and winded in a sappy mess. The Japanese love to drive their characters to madness via brief childhood love, and this film is no exception.

Forrest Gump does this concept right. And it's actually funny.

Come off it; the story totally had direction.

And fuck your complaints, the animation was glorious
Apr 27, 2012 8:17 PM

Aug 2008
Slurpentine said:

Come off it; the story totally had direction.

And fuck your complaints, the animation was glorious

Totally Agree

The film was completely linear. I didn't lose pace but found myself understanding more about it.

I loved how the prologue ran into the whole story telling aspect. You saw her life in 3 minutes, then again explained in detail.

My only real quip was that they didn't bring the earthquake motif full circle, or tie it to a certain story element. It felt like it was just thrown in for dramatic effect.

9/10 for the moment, I may knock it down to 8/10: The method used to tell the story was awesome, the animation style is my favorite (similar to Jin-roh circa 2000), music was noticeable and proper, but the story wasn't very long as it took a great amount of effort to cover a short period of time. It tugged at my emotions but I never really felt connected to the characters, I had a sense of watching a movie.
May 21, 2012 10:47 AM

Aug 2010
Superb story telling. Really enjoyed this movie, even with its flaws. It gets a solid 8/10 from me.

Going to download the OST right this instant. Loved the music.
May 25, 2012 10:59 AM

Jan 2009
There are almost no downsides that you can easily point out about this 'work of art'. The only thing i noticed (or didn't), was the soundtrack. I'm not sure if i played too much attention to the plot and everything that was happening so fast, and probably missed the OST. 9.8/10 (because of the OST, that wasn't quite outstanding, maybe that was the goal, Satoshi Kon probably wanted to keep us focused on the story rather than the sound). I admit it, i shed few tears at the ends :S
May 30, 2012 2:46 PM
Feb 2010
SN00KY said:
(because of the OST, that wasn't quite outstanding, maybe that was the goal, Satoshi Kon probably wanted to keep us focused on the story rather than the sound).

What? The music gave me goosebumps.....That never happens when I hear something for the first time...
Out of all Satoshi's works this one's OST contributed to the feeling the best.
Jun 21, 2012 2:19 PM

Mar 2012
Its a masterpiece... im going to hunt all his works... dammm he was so **ng good. Everything is perfect, nothing was there for no reason, everything was connected, well paced, and necessary to describe all about her life. And there's some comedy in a movie like this? god... this is wonderful.
Jul 14, 2012 12:52 AM

Sep 2008
Holy crap this movie was amazing. I'd expect no less from a Satoshi Kon film. At first I was wondering why this movie wasn't tripping out...but then it did, and I loved it.
Sep 18, 2012 2:47 PM

Mar 2009
a masterpiece, truly a masterpiece... love it from beginning till the end~
Sep 22, 2012 1:45 PM

Jul 2012
G-R-E-A-T M-O-V-I-E
I loved it!! It was great, with action, laughs and drama. FABULOUS FILM, I LOVE ;3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 27, 2013 12:10 AM

Aug 2011
RIP Satoshi Kon. Very unique, enjoyable, and unforgettable movie.
Feb 21, 2013 1:22 AM

Jul 2012
''After all, its the chasing after him that I really love.'' Wow. I Loved how they ended the anime with this line. Apart from the plot being a bit boring at times, It was truly an astonishing anime with a unique way of storytelling. I think we all can relate to Chiyoko to a certain extent about that it's the chasing after something that matters, i'ts not always about getting there. And that definitely doesn't have to be about a person you love, it could be applied to a dream or a passion anything..
9/10
Feb 21, 2013 1:29 AM

Sep 2012
K0S-M0S said:

WIN
EPIC WIN,Best movie by satoshi kon for me.Ending made it worth for me.
Feb 27, 2013 12:37 PM
Jan 2013
Fantastic movie. The OST was especially great
Feb 28, 2013 2:25 AM

Oct 2010
This was such a good movie. I went into it expecting the typical high quality of a Satoshi Kon film, but this might be his best piece. It's a real shame that such a masterful creator is no longer with us.
Mar 12, 2013 2:16 PM

Mar 2009
This is an incredible movie and I'm glad to be surprised once again by this anime world.
Mar 17, 2013 5:47 AM

Feb 2010
I like movies about.. movies. And Satoshi Kon is good for that. But it's more, of course. The whole is more bitter than sweet for me, since I don't like the chase...
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
May 5, 2013 9:54 PM

Jun 2011
I never thought I'd ever rate anything a 10 ever again... But wow, I really have to now. It's no exaggeration when I say that was the best movie I've ever seen.
Jun 22, 2013 5:23 PM

Oct 2010
Other than Perfect Blue, this is the only other Satoshi Kon work I've seen. The story was presented well and the cinematography was fantastic. A work of art with a strong underlying message. My favourite anime movie along with Princess Mononoke.

9/10
Jun 30, 2013 2:52 PM

Dec 2011
Finally got around to seeing this. Loved it! Really unique storytelling and a touching conclusion. Aside from that though I'd just like to comment how I think this is one of the best combinations of music, animation and art I've ever seen. In particular there is something I find very beautiful and even soothing about the color palette of this film. It can be compared to Ghibli films in the quality of these 3 elements however Millennium Actress's art and color palette has never been replicated by anything else I've ever seen.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Correlation with "Magnetic rose"

ManuelK06 - Oct 29, 2018

1 by troilus_05s »»
Oct 14, 2022 1:27 PM

» Original Dub is Better than 2019 Dub

Brittaman12 - Jun 4, 2022

2 by Brittaman12 »»
Jun 5, 2022 8:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.