Forum Settings
Forums

Director of Psycho-Pass Apologizes for Poor Quality of Episode 18

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 21, 2013 2:51 PM

Jan 2013
GoldenBRS said:
katenosh said:
first glimpse of QUALITY

Dat face lol

The intro is terrible (at one point some characters are p much unrecognisable) and when you compare it to the OP it's just worlds apart

How did it all go so wrong
Feb 21, 2013 3:05 PM
Dec 2012
bad animation for a dicisive episode indeed
Feb 21, 2013 3:21 PM

Apr 2009
katenosh said:

Makes you wonder how bad ep 18 turned out?

is it a new character? it is beyond poor quality, you cannot even recognize some characters
Feb 21, 2013 3:36 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Oh, dear lol Makes ep 4 of TTGL look like Redline.
Apologies accepted, but don't do it again!
Feb 21, 2013 3:51 PM

May 2011
Did anyone see the scene of Gino without his glasses?? DEM DERPY EYES. But seriously, I was like WTF happen when watching it.
Feb 21, 2013 3:57 PM

Jun 2008
Psycho-Pass is a QUALITY show with QUALITY animation.
Feb 21, 2013 4:43 PM
Jul 2012
Damn the animation looks like a complete nightmare
Feb 21, 2013 4:51 PM
Nov 2009
Feb 21, 2013 4:56 PM

Feb 2012
Didn't feel that bad for me... Atleast until near the end.
Jul 2012
Lryuzaki said:

Dang what the heck is wrong his nose?

Sep 2011
I don't want to sound cynical, because I like this show and think it's put together pretty soundly. There have been some goofy scenes from time to time, but I think some of us are blowing things a little bit out of proportion. That being said, I still have to admit I've been wary of the visual quality myself since the second or third episode.

Feb 21, 2013 4:57 PM
Jul 2012
I won't watch this until they fixed this mess
Feb 21, 2013 5:01 PM

Feb 2012
Thankfully there wasn't any action this ep.

Quality was definitely spotty at times.
Feb 21, 2013 5:21 PM

Feb 2008
GoldenBRS said:
I won't watch this until they fixed this mess

It's not even that bad. Some of the faces are off-model, but it's certainly a watchable episode.
Feb 21, 2013 5:25 PM

Dec 2008
If he knew it was inferior before the release, then why did he release it?
That's like a chef knowing he's preparing a mediocre dish, but he serves it anyway. Apologizing to the customer is too little, too late when they've already eaten the crappy meal.
Feb 21, 2013 5:40 PM

Oct 2010
The content made up for the bad animation imho. At least the fact that they're redoing it shows they have some standards.
Feb 21, 2013 6:04 PM

Aug 2008
Saudades said:
They should fix episode 17 too. Some faces in that looked horrendous.

now that you've mentioned it. yes it was horrible. but they made up with the story so it was forgivable.

anyways, as for episode 18, if they remain the quality of the plot then its forgivable. we've overlooked 17 so 18 would be fine...i guess
"..Hibari Kyoya is L.O.V.E..."

.. Wanna ask me something? Clicky HERE~!
Feb 21, 2013 6:16 PM

Sep 2011
at least it's still watchable and not as bad as Magi's latest episodes.
Feb 21, 2013 6:24 PM

May 2012
Didn't think the animation was all that terrible. Still, I definitely appreciate their acknowledgement about the quality. It shows they really care about the product.
Feb 21, 2013 6:48 PM

Mar 2012
Don't forget all of the points at which mouths moved too early or too late and no sound came out. See when Shinya was calling out how fishy the case was as well as when Masaoka was talking with Shinya towards the end of the episode.
(Also known on other places as Hiss13)

All hail the adorable chess master!
Feb 21, 2013 6:55 PM

Sep 2012
Waiting for the Blu-ray version is always an option. But I think the episode is watchable anyways.
Feb 21, 2013 7:00 PM

Mar 2011
They should apologize for all episodes.
Feb 21, 2013 7:47 PM

Sep 2012
Villetta_Nu said:
That's like a chef knowing he's preparing a mediocre dish, but he serves it anyway. Apologizing to the customer is too little, too late when they've already eaten the crappy meal.
I guess you never know the pressure when your sponsors are breathing fire behind your neck. The TV channel has the time slot already prepared for the show and sponsors made the commitment for ads, and you told them you could not release anything. Using your example, a customer booked a dinner at a certain time and the time could not be changed without much inconvenience, and the chef found that for whatever reason (out of time etc) could not serve the food in a quality that is good in his view (and probably in customer's view too). What can the chef do?? Not serving anything is probably worse than at least serving something.

It took a lot of guts and courage to really hold back from airing anything at all. This is why a lot of fans are equally impressed and concerned with director Mizushima when he postponed the broadcast of Girls und Panzer. Fans are genuinely worried about the impact to his reputation (and the studio's) in the industry. And he might have his hands forced if the work was indeed far from complete, and he might be able to get away with it easier because GnP was the most popular show of the season so fans are willing to wait instead of dropping the show.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Feb 21, 2013 8:08 PM
Jul 2012
Feb 21, 2013 8:35 PM

May 2011
Wow, that's surprising.
Feb 21, 2013 9:42 PM
Aug 2012
Holy shit, I didn't think it was going to be that bad.
Feb 21, 2013 11:03 PM

Jul 2008
let face it make a romance or slice of life not the same at makeing 1st class action anime
you know i think it better to have same of the anime in bi-monthly to keep the qlty up
or make it first then show it
the weekle way of makeing anime killing it the time just so tie

no wonder there not mach action anime these days
Feb 21, 2013 11:05 PM
Mar 2011
In the scene where kougami sits down with pops, he comes in without his black jacket, magically has it on for a shot, and then off again.
Feb 21, 2013 11:20 PM

Jul 2010
Shaduge said:
VioLink said:

Hahaha no.

Whenever I see that scene, it feels like I'm the one getting a hit to the head.
That's what I call a gift, from the authors to akane, it's not that she was able to do it because of her skills in combat or intelligence -which we keep hearing about since the beginning of the show but never see anything that proves it- , she did it because the authors wanted so. I'm pretty sure makashima could have dodged it but hey, if the authors want him to freeze and act surprised, he'll freeze and act surprised. Btw what's a single example supposed to prove?

You do realize that all of these characters do things because the author wants them to, right? They aren't real people, but characters that were written by the screenwriter for that episode.

Kind of a strange type of anthropomorphism, treating characters as if they have some kind of life outside of what the author writes for them. I guess it is a testament to how well written the characters are. If they seem that real to you, the author has done a good job.
Feb 21, 2013 11:21 PM
Feb 2013
Quality only got real bad at the very end there. Still an acceptable quality wasn't that big of a deal.

This is currently the only show I am truly looking forward to watching each week it is too bad it only has 4 more episodes.. I just hope it maintains this superb quality until the end.
Feb 21, 2013 11:26 PM

Jul 2010
Villetta_Nu said:

Because the show is in a time slot on a TV network. You don't have the luxury of saying, "No, we won't be putting out a show this week because there are four or five scenes where the art is off and a few problems with the animation. I guess you'll have to show something else in that half hour spot."

Many shows run into time crunches. I seem to recall reading that a recent anime movie was finished on the day it was released in theaters! (That wouldn't have been possible before digital projection!)
Feb 21, 2013 11:30 PM

Oct 2012
I'm so glad they are remaking it. The quality of this ep was absolutely depressing.
Feb 21, 2013 11:37 PM
Feb 2013
zensunni said:
Villetta_Nu said:

Because the show is in a time slot on a TV network. You don't have the luxury of saying, "No, we won't be putting out a show this week because there are four or five scenes where the art is off and a few problems with the animation. I guess you'll have to show something else in that half hour spot."

Many shows run into time crunches. I seem to recall reading that a recent anime movie was finished on the day it was released in theaters! (That wouldn't have been possible before digital projection!)

Also this isn't 1985 anymore people have bigger expectations of what they are gonna see when they watch an anime and even bigger expectations when they are gonna watch an anime movie/CG movie.

I think the anime industry is slowly collapsing in on itself. I read an article a long time ago about how manga artists have RIDICULOUS work hours and dont get paid enough and even then the finished project never truly is what they wanted due to budget cuts and whatever, this is only amplified when you try to animate something which requires a ton more effort than a manga not to mention a ton more money.

The question is now can you really justify spending all this money and effort creating a top notch anime like the past when your profits aren't guaranteed? This is why we get sooo many moeshit anime each every season there is always like 3 or more every season! Its cause they are cheaper to produce and still draw in an audience to some degree. There are some comparisons here to the video game industry. Nobody is willing to risk something new because the risk for loss is just too much.

Eventually though the consumer will get tired and you either innovate or your market slowly disappears. I wonder how many more years of Call of Duties and Elder Scroll copycats the consumers can take... And I wonder how many more K-Ons and Fairy Tails the consumer can take.. Only time will tell..
Feb 21, 2013 11:48 PM

Nov 2007
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-14710.html

Very disappointing. I've dropped the my rating down further because of this.

I already thought Psycho-Pass is subpar to other anime Urobuchi has done. Fate/Zero and Madoka Magica are so much better and Madoka is also an original (not an adaptation project) anime to boot!

The director should have seriously taken a 1 week hiatus to fix the quality like GaruPan did for episode 6, instead of thinking a subpar episode 18 was decent to even air.

lobe said:

This is why we get sooo many moeshit anime each every season there is always like 3 or more every season! Its cause they are cheaper to produce and still draw in an audience to some degree.

Wow another moe hater... this is getting pretty old guys. So do you think KyoAni spends significantly less money to produce anime than other animation studios?
EjcFeb 21, 2013 11:53 PM
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Feb 21, 2013 11:58 PM
Feb 2013
Ejc said:
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-14710.html

Very disappointing. I've dropped the my rating down further because of this.

I already thought Psycho-Pass is subpar to other anime Urobuchi has done. Fate/Zero and Madoka Magica are so much better and Madoka is also an original (not an adaptation project) anime to boot!

The director should have seriously taken a 1 week hiatus to fix the quality like GaruPan did for episode 6, instead of thinking a subpar episode 18 was decent to even air.

I agree Fate/Zero was much better than Psycho Pass I wasn't really a fan of Madoka but I can see how people would be it is certainly better than say Sailor Moon or other shows in that same genre. And I actually did watch it all the way through.

But for what I have offered to me right now.. I would say Psycho Pass is the best currently airing anime. I mean what else do I have to turn too? Magi?(although I do find myself entertained by this), Naruto(hell no..), One Piece(like once a month I can stand this), that show about the psychics or whatever(I watch it sometimes its kinda interesting a little bit)..There is really nothing else out there currently that appeals to my interests.
Feb 22, 2013 12:05 AM

Dec 2012
lobe said:

But for what I have offered to me right now.. I would say Psycho Pass is the best currently airing anime. I mean what else do I have to turn too? Magi?(although I do find myself entertained by this), Naruto(hell no..), One Piece(like once a month I can stand this), that show about the psychics or whatever(I watch it sometimes its kinda interesting a little bit)..There is really nothing else out there currently that appeals to my interests.

Try Love Live! I decided to get out of my bubble and try the first Moe exclusive show, and I was pleasantly surprised by it
Feb 22, 2013 12:11 AM

Nov 2007
lobe said:

I don't agree with Psycho-Pass being the best anime currently airing... but it's not the worst one indeed. That's the beauty of people having different tastes in anime. The world would be boring if everyone liked what you liked.

There are many anime currently airing this season. It's a wonder why you don't have many to look forward to when you restrict yourself to certain genres.

lobe said:
This is why we get sooo many moeshit anime each every season there is always like 3 or more every season!

I respect your taste in anime but calling moe, "shit" is just plain disrespectful to people who actually like moe.
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Feb 22, 2013 12:12 AM

Aug 2011
O_O I'm so glad, I really thought the quality was going downhill! YAY!! :D x
Do not feed the trolls! They bite ;D
Feb 22, 2013 12:21 AM
Feb 2013
Ejc said:
lobe said:

I don't agree with Psycho-Pass being the best anime currently airing... but it's not the worst one indeed. That's the beauty of people having different tastes in anime. The world would be boring if everyone liked what you liked.

There are many anime currently airing this season. It's a wonder why you don't have many to look forward to when you restrict yourself to certain genres.

lobe said:
This is why we get sooo many moeshit anime each every season there is always like 3 or more every season!

I respect your taste in anime but calling moe, "shit" is just plain disrespectful to people who actually like moe.

Meh whatever you can like your moe. I will probably never like it, it makes me cringe every time.

Also there are only so many genres. There is only one or two shonan released a year on average that at least peaks my interest to some level. I at least try to give all the new shonans a chance when they come out. I wont watch anything with moe although a show that doesn't have its main premise focused around that I could give a chance an example of a show that incorporated some genres I generally don't like but still kept me interested is Steins Gate. But those types of shows are very far and inbetween.

There aren't very many Monsters or Fate/Zeros or Bakemono Gataris or Cowboy Bebops or Ghost in the Shells or Akiras released each year.. I love all those shows and they dont all necessarily fit the same genre and have all the same themes.
Feb 22, 2013 12:29 AM

Nov 2007
lobe said:
Meh whatever you can like your moe. I will probably never like it, it makes me cringe every time.

That is fair enough. I don't specifically look for moe in every anime I watch. I've seen plenty that has no moe in it at all. I guess it's a bonus when an anime has some element of moe in it.

lobe said:
Also there are only so many genres. There is only one or two shonan released a year on average that at least peaks my interest to some level. I at least try to give all the new shonans a chance when they come out. I wont watch anything with moe although a show that doesn't have its main premise focused around that I could give a chance an example of a show that incorporated some genres I generally don't like but still kept me interested is Steins Gate. But those types of shows are very far and inbetween.

There aren't very many Monsters or Fate/Zeros or Bakemono Gataris or Cowboy Bebops or Ghost in the Shells or Akiras released each year.. I love all those shows and they dont all necessarily fit the same genre and have all the same themes.

What is shonan btw? Yes, I already get that you don't like moe. It's good that you at least give an anime a chance even if it has the tiniest bit of moe in it and not the main central theme.

I also liked Steins;Gate, Fate/Zero, Bakemonogatari... but i've never seen Monster, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell or Akira. Perhaps i'll give them a chance...
Feb 22, 2013 12:34 AM

Sep 2010
cads said:

Magi's animation has been total piss since episode 1. Only reason I love it so much is the characters and setting. My score will probably drop once the anime ends and I read the manga.

Also Fairy Tail's has been shit a long while too, but that is kinda understandable since its a long running series and probably budget issues.

Well I finished this episode and I must say it was like watching the TV version of episode 5 from Reborn again.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Feb 22, 2013 12:40 AM
Feb 2013
Ejc said:
lobe said:

That is fair enough. I don't specifically look for moe in every anime I watch. I've seen plenty that has no moe in it at all. I guess it's a bonus when an anime has some element of moe in it.

lobe said:

What is shonan btw? Yes, I already get that you don't like moe. It's good that you at least give an anime a chance even if it has the tiniest bit of moe in it and not the main central theme.

I also liked Steins;Gate, Fate/Zero, Bakemonogatari... but i've never seen Monster, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell or Akira. Perhaps i'll give them a chance...

Shonan is something like Naruto or Fairy Tail at least in my mind.

Where they are "action" anime but actually are more like comedy's and have like maybe 10-20 seconds of action in each episode if any at all and the rest is stall, Naruto's stall has gotten even worse than DBZ from what I hear. Whats the point in watching an anime for the action when it doesn't even have the action? I mean shonas storys are usually all pretty much the same. Big bad does something bad and then omnipotent hero goes and gets more and more powerful and destroys said big bad, there is usually some emo character in there, some sexy female usually about 16 but with the body of a 25 year old.. I could go on all day about the problems I have with shonan.

Also I just found a show that I took interest in gonna give it a shot called Mushiishi I heard about it a while ago but never got around to it and forgot about it. Looks kinda interesting, kinda like House of five leaves type feel or something from what I get from the description and I liked House of leaves.
Feb 22, 2013 12:43 AM
Feb 2013
Roloko said:
cads said:

Magi's animation has been total piss since episode 1. Only reason I love it so much is the characters and setting. My score will probably drop once the anime ends and I read the manga.

Also Fairy Tail's has been shit a long while too, but that is kinda understandable since its a long running series and probably budget issues.

Well I finished this episode and I must say it was like watching the TV version of episode 5 from Reborn again.

I disagree, the animation quality in Magi is alright I mean it could be a hell of a lot worse. Also the faces are pretty well drawn in Magi some of the best I have seen in a while at least from what I can remember.

Speaking of Hitman Reborn that show is probably in my top 20 worst shows ever made.
Feb 22, 2013 1:09 AM

May 2012
parfaited said:
All of the budget went into Makishima's bared legs in the last episode.

Seconded. His legs were looking really "expensive"...
「飾って笑った笑顔の裏に
泣いて崩れた君がいたんだね
なおも君は笑ってくれたね
こんな僕を支えてくれてありがと」

Feb 22, 2013 1:30 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
-MgZ_ said:
I wonder when will A-1 apologize for all the shit they've done.

They never will unfortunately. Don't know what they're half-assing Magi's animation, but they actually do a pretty dang good job with Uta no Prince. I don't even like reverse harems but I watched that because the animation was beautiful. I wonder why there's a such a big difference between Utapri and Magi (and even some parts of SAO had bad animation).

I'm glad that the director apologizes for it though, because it shows that he really cares about the quality and realizes it would disappoint the fans.
tingyFeb 22, 2013 1:33 AM
Feb 22, 2013 4:00 AM

Jul 2012
cads said:

True dat.
Feb 22, 2013 5:27 AM
Oct 2011
lobe said:

Do yourself a favor and start watching Space Brothers and Hunter x Hunter (2011). HxH is being animated by Madhouse, so the animation is pretty amazing so far (67 eps till now, consistent animation quality). Add to that a great source material..
Space Brothers is more mature without any school setting or teenagers, but it's still SoL and comedy, and pretty amazing at that.

Those are the 2 best anime that are airing currently, for me at least.

OT:
Good thing I put it on-hold before knowing that it's gonna have bad animation. (though I think it'd be acceptable if the plot of the episode is interesting)

Btw, do we have to wait for the BDs or is it gonna air soon with better animation? Any news of that yet?
Feb 22, 2013 5:58 AM
Feb 2012
Yeah, I see now what he meant.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Feb 22, 2013 6:43 AM

Dec 2011
Watching the art in the ep, then coming here and looking at the posts... gave me more laughs than most comedies XD
CerisineFeb 22, 2013 7:14 AM
Feb 22, 2013 7:23 AM

Apr 2010
ihateeveryone said:
9988 said:
I have seen way worst shitty stuff, moe is far more horrendous and anime is infested by it.

What the hell does moe have to do with this topic at all?

Thats just 9988s gimmick, he can't go a post without bashing moe in some way, even if its totally irrelevant to the topic.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Tensei shitara Dainana Ouji Datta node, Kimama ni Majutsu wo Kiwamemasu' Reveals Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

2 by ST63LTH »»
2 hours ago

» Undead Unluck Unveiled: Let's Talk Muscles with Yoshifumi Tozuka

Kineta - Mar 19

4 by Anime_Luv »»
3 hours ago

» Video Game 'Tensui no Sakuna-hime' Gets TV Anime in 2024

DatRandomDude - Mar 9

18 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:17 PM

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

29 by RealNath »»
Yesterday, 9:11 AM

» North American Anime & Manga Releases for May

Aiimee - May 5

0 by Aiimee »»
May 5, 10:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.