Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Nodame Cantabile
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 25, 2010 2:25 PM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hey, where have I seen this before; oh yeah, that horrible ending that was also in the manga. Well considering that the anime follows closely to the events from the manga, it was no surprise, but you just can't help but want Nodame to play on a grander stage, or at least on a stage with Chiaki. I would have even been satisfied with a still shot of them like that.

However, my dumb hopes were left with on Elise holding onto Nodame's phone. Really, I think she's my hero in this story.
The piano part was good.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 25, 2010 3:40 PM

Sep 2009
:) Don't forget Nodame is josei! It's not shoujo! I really like that they didn't modify the ending and i hope that sometime they continue the story with the opera-hen.
Mar 25, 2010 5:04 PM

Jan 2009
And don't forget how the author was hospitalized and had a baby last year!
My brain: Yorozuya Gin-chan -> Yozakura Quartet = Yorozuya Quartet (this is how much Gintama has affected me).
Mar 25, 2010 5:08 PM

Sep 2008
Now we are just making excuses for some reason.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 25, 2010 5:34 PM

Nov 2007
lol Nodame's teacher said it was not a bad sickness.

Chiaki not blocking Nodame's hug was surprising (well, I think it was in manga, too).

Chiaki's orchestra to Onion Festival?

Kuroki and Tanya are doing well?

That little boy looks like he has a crush (not just wanting to be friend with Nodame). He said he's the one who's going to make Nodame's piano shine (or something).

lol @ Elise having Nodame's cellphone!
tsubasaloverMar 25, 2010 5:38 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 26, 2010 9:59 AM
Aug 2008
i think a piece of me DIED just now
Mar 26, 2010 8:27 PM

Mar 2009
Just watched the sub..... and I know everyone was hoping for that super happy ending where they get married... but this one isn't bad either. Loved how that they hugged each other, but then how he thinks that they broke up... (did they? Anyone can confirm this?) God that's hilarious. I don't think Nodame would ever leave nor love anyone but Chiaki-senpaii... that would be like.. WHOA... its the end of the world as we know it! Love the ending with him coming to Saint Malo to see her play. :) ---- Randy
randywmorgan17Mar 28, 2010 2:01 PM
Mar 26, 2010 11:57 PM

Oct 2008
bluepig486 said:
i think a piece of me DIED just now

I AGREE!!!! Except that it's because I am so sad it's over! T__________T
Overall I thought the anime ending was better than the manga ending...LOL...I guess it's because we waited for the manga for so long :'[

NODAME 4EVER!!!!!!
Mar 27, 2010 2:52 PM

Nov 2007
I agree that this ending could've been much better. Very anti-climatic.

But the rest of the season was pretty great, so it gets an 8/10.

I'd love to see a continuation someday.
Mar 27, 2010 11:24 PM

Jun 2007
God damn it they left the relationship open :(. I was hoping to see Chaki propose at that last scene to give us a tad bit of closure :/.

All 3 series where amazing....the ending not so much. Show still gets a high rating in my books though. I hope the OVA is a sequel to this ending and not some random episode about Nodame doing something stupid.
Mar 27, 2010 11:35 PM

Dec 2009
finale? NOT.
...that was not a good ending or a bad ending it was just a
. . .

last week's unfinished business was so much more satisfying.... i hope the OVA will be good.
Mar 27, 2010 11:36 PM

Sep 2009
I guess anti-climatic fits it pretty well. With all of the drama building up in the last few episodes (probably my favorite episodes of the lot) I guess I was expecting something a little more emotional, and to be honest something much worse based on all the talk about the terrible manga ending. So I guess it scores bonus points for that.

It certainly didn't have the explicit closure I was looking for, but it did seem to end on a number of positive notes. Though the last part of the episode felt like the result of the writer being handed a list of the characters, and then being told to write an ending for each of them in 150 words or less that they could slap in there.

Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and throw something at my computer in a fit of rage after I've processed it more, but right now I'm just trying to get over the fact that Nodame is over.
CententMar 27, 2010 11:43 PM
Mar 27, 2010 11:57 PM

Jun 2009
Now to wait for the OVA, hopefully that will bring more of a conclusion. Anyways, I'll be missing this series, 8/10.
Mar 28, 2010 12:01 AM
Dec 2008
Yes, I can't wait for the OVA to get some closure.

side note: Lucas sounds like Biribiri. That has been bothering me alot... since I'm sure that's Satou Rina's voice..
Mar 28, 2010 12:24 AM

Oct 2007
well That wasn't THAT bad

...If there actually would have been ANY closure on the chikai/nodame relationship that actually would have been a rather good ending....but meh

Also I can't help but feel the whole Japan crew got shafted in all this....overall still an amazing season 10/10 cuz i'm a deluded fanboy
DreamTheater2112Mar 28, 2010 12:36 AM
Mar 28, 2010 12:26 AM

Mar 2010
The ending was enough to bump it down to an 8. God though, this entire series was amazing, Nodame really is one of the most lovable anime characters to be created
Mar 28, 2010 12:33 AM

Oct 2009
Not really satisfied actually ...
For instance , I was really expecting them to get married ,
but it ended up disappointing me .

sig by isignature .
Mar 28, 2010 12:36 AM

Mar 2010
I wouldn't have cared about them getting married, I wanted them to live their dream of playing together on stage, it's kinda what fueled both characters throughout the series. Now they're broken up and she's playing with Stressman, who kinda ruined it all for them through his selfinishness
Mar 28, 2010 12:37 AM
Mar 2009
Emotional side: *cry* It's over! And they didn't even kiss!

Rational side: No proposal? Oh well. The most important thing is that Nodame is continuing on her path!

Sigh. Couldn't they just do a fourth season? Preferrably finally in Vienna?
Mar 28, 2010 12:51 AM

Sep 2009
I actually thought the ending wasn't that bad. Seems pretty clear that Nodame and Chiaki are going to stay together. I will miss this show...
Mar 28, 2010 12:53 AM

Aug 2007
WTF people? That ending was perfect! I don't get what people wanted instead... Nodame and Chiaki were together, so what they didn't get married. And with everything that happened, Nodame is really just starting to move up to bigger stages.

Though, the ending still left some things open, I do hope that the Opera episode that's going to be animated in April gives us a slightly more solidified ending as to where Nodame and Chiaki go with their careers and relationship.
Mar 28, 2010 12:58 AM

Jul 2007
ilikeyouevenmore said:
finale? NOT.
...that was not a good ending or a bad ending it was just a
. . .

THIS.

It's like they packed several more episodes into one. SIGH. But it was good, but it was sad, but it was good, but it was sad...

I mean, Nodame really is an open-ended series and I usually like when things are left to your own imagination. In Nodame's case, I just wanted it to go as far as Nodame and Chiaki's first piano concerto together, and THEN the "and life goes on" montage! I'm disappointed to learn the manga ends this way as well. Overall Nodame is one of the best things out there, regardless. I mean, it's not like this was a really bad ending. It just leaves you wanting more... in a bad way.

I hope the author gets well soon and continues it with a second series or something, or a special manga volume. And obviously I'd like to see that animated too.
<---made of awesome!
Mar 28, 2010 1:00 AM

Jan 2009
awww it finished
The ending was so-so
Now to wait for the ova
Mar 28, 2010 1:05 AM

Jan 2008
I don't know about you guys. I don't really think that their relationship is that open. It is, as another poster said, Josei. The author understands that things can be extremely meaningful even without an obvious bow on top of it that tells the viewer/reader "YES, HERE THEY ARE, THEY'RE TOGETHER IN THE END."

This is why Nodame Cantabile is the absolute best romance manga/anime. It approaches the subject of romance maturely and expects the viewer to be able to do the same. That's why Chiaki and Nodame can have such sweet moments at random instead of only at climaxes. Like their kiss under the kotatsu while studying music.
Mar 28, 2010 1:21 AM

Jun 2008
This last episode didn't feel like the "end" of the series, just made me want more, but to say that it was a bad ending, i would have to disagree.

was an announcement made that they were going to make an ova?
Mar 28, 2010 1:24 AM

Nov 2007
I have to say I am happy with the way Nodame ended, was expecting a grand concerto with Chiaki, but in the end, Chiaki realizing that being strict with her will only push her away, and the duet was made of win.

Also, the ending when Chaiki was talking about how music got people from different parts of the world fall for one another was enough to make the ending a great one.

9/10 overall as a series, was better than pari-hen, but season 1, which ended with a hug (man i still so remember) was the best season, and will remain in my all time top 10 for many years to come.

Off Topic: ARIA fans all over the thread lol. I started ARIA and have to say, the anime is made of cuteness and love. <3
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 28, 2010 1:27 AM

Nov 2007
mrSmiles said:
This last episode didn't feel like the "end" of the series, just made me want more, but to say that it was a bad ending, i would have to disagree.

was an announcement made that they were going to make an ova?

Nodame Cantabile Finale OVA
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 28, 2010 1:38 AM

Oct 2008
I think that bluepig486 said it best. "i think a piece of me DIED just now".

I also can't help but agree with Susan and Centent about this last episode being a rushed excuse for a conclusion to what was an excellent use of angst and anticipation in the last few episodes to set up what could have been a extremely dramatic and impacting ending. This episode felt more like a preview for the next series. It better be! Basically what could have been a 10 rating for me just turned into a 7/10. I'm so disappointed or really happy if this episode means that they are going to create another series. I doubt all the new side stories this last episode just opened opened up can be adequately concluded in a couple OVA's. If this truly is the "Finale" then I might even think about rating this series down further. I haven't been this upset since the ending of "Death Note" sputtered out with a cop out ending. Honestly when I recommend this show to others, I'm going to add, don't watch the last episode, you'll thank me. All of these negative comments are of course pending on if there will be another series. Another series, Another Series, Another Series!!! Sorry I just have to be more redundant here. I'll just keep saying that and maybe everything will be ok.

On another note, why does MAL still have the Encore Opera-hen manga as still ongoing? Does it mean there could be another series? Another series? A shit I'm stuck in a loop.
Orion1Mar 28, 2010 2:00 AM
Mar 28, 2010 1:41 AM

Jan 2010
Sad that's it's over :'(
Overall a AWESOME series :D
Mar 28, 2010 1:55 AM
May 2008
...seen better ways to end a series. they obviously needn't to break up -_-
Mar 28, 2010 2:19 AM

Jun 2009
I want MOREEEE!
T____T I'm going to miss them T^T
サービスサービス
Mar 28, 2010 2:23 AM

Jul 2009
SIGH!!!
I don't know what to say... I was just shrugging at the end. It was so... dotdotdot.
I didn't even realize this was the ending at first, I thought there was going to be a 12th episode, lol.
The last few episodes were out of this world, and then this happened.
What happened to Chiaki's burning hot passion for marriage? Well he did hug her back but, is that suppose to be symbolic? I wanted at least an acknowledgment from Megumi and not a cliff hanger, sigh.
I'm more disappointed than anything.

I love this series but, this Finale, didn't feel much of a finale.

10/10 for series.
8.499999999...8/10 for this ending...or maybe a 7/10... no, 8/10 because my bias self loves this show too much to make me score any lower...

Sigh, nonetheless, I will miss this series.
KurogashiMar 28, 2010 2:32 AM
Mar 28, 2010 3:02 AM

Jan 2008
This season is the best directed season of all three seasons, and yes better than even the first one. In spite of the first couple of rushed episodes and a somewhat unsatisfying ending, this season gets a 9/10. A piece of me was hurt real bad when I read "fin" at the end of the episode. Nothing to do, will just wait for the OVAs to supress my Nodame needs :/
Mar 28, 2010 4:09 AM

Sep 2008
It's hard to grasp with the fact that Nodame Cantabile has really ended :(. I still have the live-action movies to look forward to... hopefully they will give the series a more grand closure.

Overall, I enjoyed it much better than the 2nd season. 9/10.
Chicken + Dictionary + Dictionary = CMC. Eeyup.
Mar 28, 2010 4:09 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
DeathfireD said:
God damn it they left the relationship open :(. I was hoping to see Chaki propose at that last scene to give us a tad bit of closure :/
I was hoping for this as well, but sadly they really did stick to the manga's ending.

Kurogashi said:
What happened to Chiaki's burning hot passion for marriage? Well he did hug her back but, is that suppose to be symbolic? I wanted at least an acknowledgment from Megumi and not a cliff hanger, sigh.
Exactly!!

This series just left me hanging at the end. There should have been more closure. J.C. Staff knows that we won't be satisfied with this :/

I'll wait for the OVA and for more chapters of Opera-hen to be translated meanwhile I guess.
p r o f i l e 👀
Mar 28, 2010 4:22 AM
Dec 2007
I don't know why some of you criticize this ending, it fits perfectly to the Nodame scenario and atmosphere, we get to know pretty much what we wanted about most of the characters, plus it conveys great meaning - especially the first half of the episode - and is centered on MUSIC, the main theme of the series (no, the relationship between Nodame and Chiaki is by no mean the central theme of this anime and if you want a great shoujo ending, last episode of Paris-Hen had it and was perfect in that regard). And to be perfectly objective, as a jousei slice-of-life series, the ending is far better than the best slice-of-life series ever made, Touch (Adachi never knew how to end his series), and also better than the best jousei series ever made, Honey & Clover, which was too irrationnal and abrupt (though one could argue that Nodame is at least as good as H&C and I would agree). I don't really know what you guys expected or why you expected that, but this episode was perfectly directed like the whole series, both funny and emotionally-packed, the music pieces were simply fantastic and the characters grew realistically well, even leaving room for a sequel if need be. It was close to perfection once again, nothing to add. 10/10 for this last episode, the third season and the whole series.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Mar 28, 2010 6:03 AM

Sep 2009
Arcade_fire87 said:
Now they're broken up and she's playing with Stressman, who kinda ruined it all for them through his selfinishness

What? Have you seen the last episode? They were together in the end! And they'll continue their life together with music...

Susan said:
I hope the author gets well soon and continues it with a second series or something, or a special manga volume.

Whatever you want, you get... Nodame Cantabile Opera-hen :)
I hope that they'll make another animated series cover the Opera-hen too.

Orion1 said:
On another note, why does MAL still have the Encore Opera-hen manga as still ongoing? Does it mean there could be another series? Another series? A shit I'm stuck in a loop.

Because it's still ongoing. At the moment there are 5 chapters out of it. Another series? Maybe.. Cross fingers! :)
Mar 28, 2010 7:12 AM

Apr 2009
WHAT!? that can't really be the ending, because nothing really happened at the end...
Mar 28, 2010 7:28 AM

Dec 2007
Time to wait for the OVA's.
Mar 28, 2010 8:18 AM

Mar 2008
to me Nodame finished after Season 1. It was ended if not with a full stop, but with a bold semicolon at the very least. In contrast, Paris-hen and Finale didn't left even a half-transparent comma. Neither both of them provided that deep character interaction nor the music scenes were ever that touching and emotional as they were in the first season.
So, in my opinion, this was an epic fail, both as an episode and as a season. Another failure of Kon Chiaki as a director in the first case. To know that manga ends so abruptly and to go with the anime so straight-forward building all that tension in the previous chapter... This episode alone, and I guess the whole season, could really be so much better with another director.

And I strongly disagree about H&C had a bad ending! H&C2 closed pretty much everything and in a way better manner. Despite all characters' plots were left opened, the anime as a whole had a fantastic feeling of closure. And you can't tell the same about Nodame at all.

Well, anyway, it's probably also noitaminA who is to blame. If it was a single season of 24-26 episodes, rather than two seasons of 11 episodes, things could've turned out way better. One eppy here and there and lots could be depicted way more appropriate. I also think it was a bad idea to name it "Finale", especially since the manga continues with Opera-hen.

So, 2/5 for the episode; 7/10 for this season and 6/10 for Paris-hen. And still 10/10 for the first season. Looking forward to the OVA.
soulelleMar 28, 2010 8:24 AM
Mar 28, 2010 9:10 AM

Oct 2007
So is the manga completely over? What's this I hear about an opera-hen chapter continuing the story?
Mar 28, 2010 9:51 AM

May 2007
No-nodame~chaaan. ;___; I hope they make the ending more dramatic in the anime than it was in the manga. With good music and animation, they can do it. <333

Mar 28, 2010 10:16 AM

Oct 2007
The ending was guaranteed epic fail because it was scripted as epic fail in the manga. Apart from that I enjoyed this season perhaps most out of the 3, for pacing, art, animation and the storyline... up until the slapdash, afterthought, epic fail of an ending.

Gotta dock a point for that, but I'll give it a 9/10 anyway. Better than Paris, could have been better than S1 but...
Mar 28, 2010 10:37 AM

Dec 2007
People are idiots.

This ending was fantastic. No, they didin't do the cliche "OMG LET'S GET MARRIED" ending, but to say that Nodame and Chiaki broke up is just idiotic. He was there as she gave her Mozart Concert at the very end. He didn't need to be. But he was, and not just because he likes her piano playing, far more than that. FAR more important in this episode that was resolved was her (seemingly) inferiority complex that was stopping her progress because she didn't think she could ever top her last performance. Chiaki taking her to play Mozart for 2 pianos was so she could see how much she has progressed (because she said she could remember their last performance of it clearly), and so she could realize how she can still progress, which should always be a musician's goal.

Plus, I liked seeing the whole blushing Tanya/Kuroki thing, and seeing Mine playing with Kiyora as well as Rui playing with... o_0 Frank just shows how music can bring people together.

So, no. You guys didn't get Nodame in a wedding dress. Dear god am I happy for it. This ending was fantastic.

Series gets a 9/10.
Mar 28, 2010 10:45 AM

Jan 2008
Meddigo said:
People are idiots.

This ending was fantastic. No, they didin't do the cliche "OMG LET'S GET MARRIED" ending, but to say that Nodame and Chiaki broke up is just idiotic. He was there as she gave her Mozart Concert at the very end. He didn't need to be. But he was, and not just because he likes her piano playing, far more than that. FAR more important in this episode that was resolved was her (seemingly) inferiority complex that was stopping her progress because she didn't think she could ever top her last performance. Chiaki taking her to play Mozart for 2 pianos was so she could see how much she has progressed (because she said she could remember their last performance of it clearly), and so she could realize how she can still progress, which should always be a musician's goal.

Plus, I liked seeing the whole blushing Tanya/Kuroki thing, and seeing Mine playing with Kiyora as well as Rui playing with... o_0 Frank just shows how music can bring people together.

So, no. You guys didn't get Nodame in a wedding dress. Dear god am I happy for it. This ending was fantastic.

Series gets a 9/10.

Thanks for giving examples of what I was trying to say. I was too lazy to do it myself.
Mar 28, 2010 11:07 AM

Oct 2009
I was expecting a shot of a engagement ring on her finger at the end, but her and chiaki were left pretty open.

His comment about them practically breaking up.. he wasn't saying they did right?? Ahh, i'm just going to ignore that, and remember the hug.

Ehh, lovely series, but nothing so special about the ending so i guess an 8/10.
Mar 28, 2010 11:16 AM

Dec 2007
hallioe said:

His comment about them practically breaking up.. he wasn't saying they did right??.

He was referring music-wise. Nodame didn't want to perform with Chiaki because she was afraid that she would screw up in front of him. So it was unlikely they would perform together in a public setting, for now at least.
Mar 28, 2010 11:46 AM

Oct 2007
WTF kind of ending is that. how can they set up episode 10 like that with the marriage question and not even bring it up in 11. retarded.

life is a dream
~death is reality
Mar 28, 2010 12:15 PM

Nov 2008
Once again I can't believe it's over. It went by all so soon.
For now not yet sure what I'm gonna rate it, I might even have to re-watch it for that.
The upcoming specials probably will be original material, so I hope we will see some more ShinichixNoda moments.. I liked how they gave closure to every character, but I would have loved to see a 'final' final scene between the two main characters, even though it may have strayed a bit on the 'cliché' side. That bit where he showed up for her Mozart performance.. not enough, but definitely nice. I shed a tear when the ED started playing, again. That song is just.. Now I feel there's still something missing? (Yes, a regular 13 episodes season.)

And oh, did seriously no one lol at that part of mr. Pervert in the roller coaster? Heehee.
desolatoMar 28, 2010 12:21 PM
Mar 28, 2010 12:26 PM

Nov 2009
I can see what people are mentioning about the proposal, but the real problem is that Chiaki brought it up again in episode 10, not that he didn't bring it up this episode. I think it's better that them not getting engaged yet... However there was no ending feeling, unless you count the rough summary the last 5 minutes of everyone else. And the fact it was episode 11/11.
Totally starting the manga now. Plus since the anime stays true to the manga i can start at opera-hen. ^.^
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nodame Cantabile Finale Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Riveiraland - Mar 11, 2010

114 by sillylovesong »»
Yesterday, 3:50 PM

Poll: » Nodame Cantabile Finale Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Proselyt - Jan 28, 2010

82 by WaterBottleWeeb »»
Mar 11, 10:04 AM

Poll: » Nodame Cantabile Finale Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Feb 18, 2010

93 by removed-user »»
Apr 30, 2023 6:56 AM

Poll: » Nodame Cantabile Finale Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

throwaway513846 - Jan 14, 2010

124 by ims-tokyo »»
Apr 17, 2022 3:06 AM

Poll: » Nodame Cantabile Finale Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Feb 12, 2010

81 by Preachee »»
Sep 25, 2021 10:17 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.