Anime & Manga News

Section23 Films Acquires Asu no Yoichi!, Eyeshield 21 and Jigoku Shoujo 2

by dtshyk
Feb 26, 2010 6:02 PM | 39 Comments
According to Toon Zone news, Section23 Films has acquired three new titles:

Asu no Yoichi! (May 11th)
Eyeshield 21 (May 18th)
Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori (May 25)

They'll be released by Sentai Filmworks. Sentai will also publish Appleseed (2004) Blu-ray edition on May 18th with new English dubs by Ex Machina cast.

Source: Toon Zone

Story by ZerOne01

20 of 39 Comments Recent Comments

It's really a shame that Eyeshield and Hell Girl won't get a dub. Oh well, at least I'll be able to watch them easily.

Mar 9, 2010 2:50 PM by Lone_Viewer

Good to see Jigoku Shoujo Season 2 is finally coming to DVD in the states. And I hate dubs anyway so I'm glad Sentai does Subs-only.

Mar 1, 2010 12:08 PM by Brain_of_GTO

That's weird. I'm guessing the Eyeshield dub they showed on Toonami Jetstream for the short while was scrapped? Oh well, that's life.

Section23 is alright. I mean they are releasing Gintama over here, and that's probably one of the toughest series I see being big in the US. Either way I'll check out the DVD's and see how they go.

As for Asu no Yoichi............what?

Mar 1, 2010 6:38 AM by Sakata-san

Why does Appleseed need to be redubbed exactly? I mean, it wasn't a very good movie, but the original dub of it is perfectly fine.

Feb 28, 2010 7:10 PM by Nyktos

will Asu no Yoichi be in ENglish

Feb 28, 2010 4:19 PM by Setsuna200

Whoomp said:
Slykain said:
Whoomp said:

hypersonic124 said:
hopefully they dub them instead of doing crappy sub only releases

lololol, yeah. Who is stupid enough to watch anime in japanese?


I really hope this is sarcasm.

No, I actually like my anime to be in french, or Arabic if possible... of course I am sarcastic.

The thing I don't like about dubs is the fact that they help to keep the general consensus about "anime is for kids" alive. Because when importing cartoons that is meant for a younger audience you have to dub it into English because the of intended audience requires it. I see no reason for dubbing longer series with a more narrow appeal such as Jigoku Shojo or Clannad since they are meant for an age group that can read and probably have an attention-span that is greater than 5 minutes. You rarely see foreign movies that aren't mean for kids being dubbed right? So why should anime?

I am personally all for this sub-only strategy many companies have begun, since I don't listen to it I am glad I don't have to pay extra to get it. And before anyone brings up dub-only releases there is an huge difference between the two. With sub-only there already is an audio-track that just needs subtitles while with dub-only they are ignoring something that already exists and puts a huge amount of extra money into creating something new. Geneon would probably have managed to stay in the biz a while longer if they wouldn't have insisted on dubbing stuff that only would appeal to hardcore-fans which generally don't care about if a dub is there or not, such as Popotan and Strawberry Marshmallow.

first of all, I have never seen anyone ever say that dubs make anime seem like they are made for kids, outside of the dubs that actually were made for kids. Also outside of anime with legitimately great voice acting like Conan and Haruhi, I prefer the dubs, for whatever reason (I personally can't decide if it's because of actual quality or because of the bias of dubs being the same language as the one I speak. Probably a bit of both).

I do agree with the rest of that though. However, Gintama seems to appeal to more than hardcore fans so that could use a dub. I think.

Feb 28, 2010 8:20 AM by kkslider5552000

haizzz... dubs, sth i cant stand for life..

Feb 28, 2010 2:54 AM by kencarrot

Interesting...

Its nice to see a variety of shows being brought over.

Feb 28, 2010 2:50 AM by Randomer002

hypersonic124 said:
hopefully they dub them instead of doing crappy sub only releases


This may sound stupid, but this is the first time I've heard of "sub only releases". I thought only dubbed anime got released! O_o every single anime I've saw in HMV is dubbed!

Feb 28, 2010 12:45 AM by Squirrelpaw4970

Ash-Falls-Town said:
Bernkastroll said:
FUNimation, why the slowness? Hurry and get Mitsuganae before Sentai does...

FUNimation actually has first choice when it comes to licenses. This isn't a case of FUNimation being slower than Sentai but of FUNimation giving up on Hell Girl and a Hell Girl dub.
Sentai is just picking up the slack to the best of their "unable to dub" ability.


That's depressing. I've lost all respect for Funi. :/

Feb 27, 2010 11:55 PM by SoneAnna

Well Sentai hired the guy that translated season one to do the dubs for Hell Girl at least. I am dissapointed it won't be dubbed but I honestly didn't really like the show.

As for Eyeshield 21, sports anime don't work in America, Funimation just talked about how set one of Big Windup! only sold about 1000 copies, sub only makes sense for it.

Asu no Yoitsu is too niche to get a dub in this new Sentai.

And Appleseed is not only dubbed, it is getting a new dub by the group that did Ex Machina(they did a better job than the first one), yeah it is pointless but it is a dub.

Not a bad slate, really just disappointed in Funi for not grabbing season 2, Sentai gets a thumbs up for this set(unlike not dubbing Gintama which I am not for)

Feb 27, 2010 7:46 PM by mitamaking

Bernkastroll said:
FUNimation, why the slowness? Hurry and get Mitsuganae before Sentai does...

FUNimation actually has first choice when it comes to licenses. This isn't a case of FUNimation being slower than Sentai but of FUNimation giving up on Hell Girl and a Hell Girl dub.
Sentai is just picking up the slack to the best of their "unable to dub" ability.

Feb 27, 2010 6:33 PM by Ash-Falls-Town

Why would you ever want Asu no Yoichi!?

Feb 27, 2010 5:44 PM by HappyPear

Awesome, Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori finally going to be released in America...why the hell didn't Funimation release it...they ONLY released the first season

Feb 27, 2010 5:39 PM by NeverKnowsBest26

Goddammit. I hate it when they release DVDs only in sub. I wanna hear Kikuri's voice in dub. :|

FUNimation, why the slowness? Hurry and get Mitsuganae before Sentai does...

Feb 27, 2010 4:36 PM by SoneAnna

Whoomp said:
Slykain said:
Whoomp said:

hypersonic124 said:
hopefully they dub them instead of doing crappy sub only releases

lololol, yeah. Who is stupid enough to watch anime in japanese?


I really hope this is sarcasm.

No, I actually like my anime to be in french, or Arabic if possible... of course I am sarcastic.

The thing I don't like about dubs is the fact that they help to keep the general consensus about "anime is for kids" alive. Because when importing cartoons that is meant for a younger audience you have to dub it into English because the of intended audience requires it. I see no reason for dubbing longer series with a more narrow appeal such as Jigoku Shojo or Clannad since they are meant for an age group that can read and probably have an attention-span that is greater than 5 minutes. You rarely see foreign movies that aren't mean for kids being dubbed right? So why should anime?

I am personally all for this sub-only strategy many companies have begun, since I don't listen to it I am glad I don't have to pay extra to get it. And before anyone brings up dub-only releases there is an huge difference between the two. With sub-only there already is an audio-track that just needs subtitles while with dub-only they are ignoring something that already exists and puts a huge amount of extra money into creating something new. Geneon would probably have managed to stay in the biz a while longer if they wouldn't have insisted on dubbing stuff that only would appeal to hardcore-fans which generally don't care about if a dub is there or not, such as Popotan and Strawberry Marshmallow.



Woah, cool. I didnt knew something like this is going on.

Feb 27, 2010 3:47 PM by Slykain

Makes sense to acquire an anime about football, and JS is just a lot like american tv (shows like CSI, Cold Case etc (a.k.a case-of-week show, in this case death-of-the-week ?).

Asu no Yuichi is just meh.

Feb 27, 2010 3:06 PM by pitman

ok

Feb 27, 2010 1:54 PM by Mr_Gutts

I really doubt these series will make enough profit (-_-)

Feb 27, 2010 12:19 PM by Master10K

Slykain said:
Whoomp said:

hypersonic124 said:
hopefully they dub them instead of doing crappy sub only releases

lololol, yeah. Who is stupid enough to watch anime in japanese?


I really hope this is sarcasm.

No, I actually like my anime to be in french, or Arabic if possible... of course I am sarcastic.

The thing I don't like about dubs is the fact that they help to keep the general consensus about "anime is for kids" alive. Because when importing cartoons that is meant for a younger audience you have to dub it into English because the of intended audience requires it. I see no reason for dubbing longer series with a more narrow appeal such as Jigoku Shojo or Clannad since they are meant for an age group that can read and probably have an attention-span that is greater than 5 minutes. You rarely see foreign movies that aren't mean for kids being dubbed right? So why should anime?

I am personally all for this sub-only strategy many companies have begun, since I don't listen to it I am glad I don't have to pay extra to get it. And before anyone brings up dub-only releases there is an huge difference between the two. With sub-only there already is an audio-track that just needs subtitles while with dub-only they are ignoring something that already exists and puts a huge amount of extra money into creating something new. Geneon would probably have managed to stay in the biz a while longer if they wouldn't have insisted on dubbing stuff that only would appeal to hardcore-fans which generally don't care about if a dub is there or not, such as Popotan and Strawberry Marshmallow.

Feb 27, 2010 12:18 PM by Whoomp

Related Database Entries