Anime & Manga News

NY Times Manga Best Seller List for Apr 5 - 11

by Snow
Apr 17, 2015 4:52 PM | 35 Comments
Graphic books best seller list (Manga & OEL) for April 5th - 11th

*1. One Piece Vol.74
*2. Big Hero 6 Vol.1
*3. Attack on Titan Vol.15
*4. Fairy Tail Vol.47
*5. Soul Eater Vol.25
*6. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma Vol.5
*7. Assassination Classroom Vol.3
*8. Attack on Titan: Before the Fall Vol.4
*9. Attack on Titan Vol.1
10. Sword Art Online: Fairy Dance Vol.3

Source: NY Times Manga Best Seller List
Previous related news: North American Anime & Manga Releases for April

← Previous Week

20 of 35 Comments Recent Comments

Avok said:
*9. Attack on Titan Vol.1

Just how many people have bought that volume? lol
Vol 2 has been ranking quite a bit too. Vol 3 not. Which sales wise is interesting. Vol 1 and 2 keeps selling way more than 3 and the rest. Ofcourse that's natural but ye would expect that a manga witch such a high instalbase would see high sales over a larger part of its spectrum, well at least during slow weeks. Though with the titan omnibus and the pack deal even those numbers are skewed. Anyway nice week, Op on top ? not my pick but good for the fans.

Apr 21, 2015 5:17 PM by Punkbeetle

keragamming said:
People here are acting like this is the first time one piece has been on the top.

Because it doesn't happen often. The volume before this, only showed up in the list twice in the span of a month, it's first appearance being at number 2, first being a BL manga.

This really doesn't mean One Piece is picking up popularity in the US, it's still in the same range of popularity, below the likes of Bleach, Soul Eater, Fairy Tail, Death Note, FMA, Sailor moon etc, let alone Naruto and SnK.

It's best selling volume in 2014 was ''ONE PIECE EAST BLUE 1 2 3'' with 6,424 units, next was vol 70 with 5,855 units. It's not doing as great as other manga from Viz Media.

Apr 20, 2015 10:31 AM by andpark

IntroverTurtle said:
Fullmetal89 said:
Looks like One Piece is finally starting to get the respect it deserves. Maybe there's still hope for the good ol' U.S.A. after all.
It has been in the top a couple of times before, don't really know if anything has changed.


I honestly had never seen it up there. Kinda surprised really. It's usually SnK, Naruto or some other Manga. I have seen One Piece in the top 10 regularly just not number 1. That's good news though.

Apr 19, 2015 4:56 PM by FullmetalCarrot

Nice..... I hope they dont buy rights to make a movie out of them...

Apr 19, 2015 5:38 AM by RickyTheKind

Well this top 10 will be full of AOT's volumes when the second season starts next year. The highest number of volumes I saw was 6 or 7 on top 10 I think.

Apr 19, 2015 1:00 AM by Guranto-kun

keragamming said:
People here are acting like this is the first time one piece has been on the top.
It is definitely rare, especially compared to its ranking in Japan which we're so used to seeing it dominate.

Apr 18, 2015 10:26 PM by IntroverTurtle

People here are acting like this is the first time one piece has been on the top.

Apr 18, 2015 10:07 PM by keragamming

Fullmetal89 said:
Looks like One Piece is finally starting to get the respect it deserves. Maybe there's still hope for the good ol' U.S.A. after all.
It has been in the top a couple of times before, don't really know if anything has changed.

Apr 18, 2015 9:46 PM by IntroverTurtle

Looks like One Piece is finally starting to get the respect it deserves. Maybe there's still hope for the good ol' U.S.A. after all.

Apr 18, 2015 9:43 PM by FullmetalCarrot

Nice to see people have stuck with Soul Eater 'til the end. I didn't even know Yen Press were still around.

Apr 18, 2015 8:14 PM by Touka

De_Baer said:
Dragon88 said:
It just surprise me how USA sales are so different from the World sales.


The popularity of One Piece in the US was thrown back years due to shitty marketing of the manga by Viz, since they were completely focusing on pushing Naruto and Bleach while negleting One Piece almost completely. Then the 4KIDS fiasco happened and this made it even worse. Now One Piece is slowly
recovering from that and finally gains more popularity, especially since Naruto ended because many Narutfans who never were interested in One Piece are now turning towards it because they are searching for a replacement.


That 4kids thing was really messy. Honestly I had a very bad perception of OP because of that. I knew about OP before Naruto and Bleach but I had a horrible perception of it and I got into OP much later. I only got into it because lot of people talked and that time I use to read mangas and just follow mangas like now so I thought let me try it out from the beginning and then eventually OP became my favorite but that 4kids dub really give a really bad impression of OP and I really don't get why there is such bad marketing of OP in the US. It annoys me.

Apr 18, 2015 5:47 PM by Dragon88

Dragon88 said:
It just surprise me how USA sales are so different from the World sales.


The popularity of One Piece in the US was thrown back years due to shitty marketing of the manga by Viz, since they were completely focusing on pushing Naruto and Bleach while negleting One Piece almost completely. Then the 4KIDS fiasco happened and this made it even worse. Now One Piece is slowly recovering from that and finally gains more popularity, especially since Naruto ended because many Narutfans who never were interested in One Piece are now turning towards it because they are searching for a replacement.

Apr 18, 2015 2:28 PM by De_Baer

Happy to see One Piece at the top :)

Apr 18, 2015 2:04 PM by G_Spark233

One piece at number 1!!! when will america realise that it is an amazing series!! keep it up

Apr 18, 2015 11:02 AM by giangerd

ichii_1 said:
CloudStrifeFFVII said:
Food Wars hype, even though volume 5 was the worse out of the ones that were released so far!~

smh :(
Hating on Mayumi :(
I know Erina is best girl but she's cute:)


Cuteness doesn't cut it though...

Apr 18, 2015 9:02 AM by CloudStrifeFFVII

Hollywood made Big Hero 6 big.

Apr 18, 2015 8:55 AM by malvarez1

finally snk isn't #1 for once

Apr 18, 2015 8:03 AM by Jerkhov

Avok said:
*9. Attack on Titan Vol.1

Just how many people have bought that volume? lol


Everyone and their grandmas lol.

Apr 18, 2015 4:01 AM by Ramkec

FOOD WARS AND ATTACK ON TITAN!!! Foodgasms with Titansss

Apr 18, 2015 4:01 AM by aerithclode

YES!!! Everyone loves the FOODGASM!!!!

Apr 18, 2015 3:49 AM by Machination