Forum Settings
Forums

How do you, personally, determine an anime's rating?

New
7 hours ago
Jul 2023
Ratings can be extremely subjective and often are. With that said, how would you define your thought process when assigning a score to an anime?

I treat my scores as a scale of how likely I am to recommend that anime, trying to remain as objective as possible about art, plot, characters, pacing, atmosphere, dialogue, etc. Although, it's impossible to be unbiased. I'd say there's most likely a couple of rating points designated to the personal enjoyment I get from a show. Even if I drop a show, it's usually due to my disinterest in the story or failure to attach to any characters. Therefore, I'll still attempt to rate it according to the other qualities I listed.

So what about the rest of you? Do you take a more objective or subjective approach? Do your ratings swing depending on your mood? Can one scene you don't vibe with garner a 1/10 score? Do share.
6 hours ago
Oct 2023
If the experience was good, I usually give a 10, so it's very subjective
6 hours ago
Oct 2019
For me, it depends on how much I personally enjoyed an anime. If I found it boring, it's likely to have a lower score (4 or below) regardless of how "good" it is according to other people, and metrics such as how deep or well-written the plot is. If it was entertaining, it's likely to get a higher score (7 or above).

Additionally, successfully getting me invested in the characters or world to some extent will likely make me enjoy it more, and anything that comes close to making me cry (Hunter x Hunter's Chimera Ant Arc and Cyberpunk Edgerunners) gets an automatic 10, because it's not easy for a work of fiction to make me feel genuine emotions like that (aside from basic feelings of excitement, intrigue, or frustration), so anything that does must be a masterpiece.
6 hours ago

Oct 2010
I just pull a number out my ass and see if it looks cool
6 hours ago

Jul 2016
1-5 = Characters are annoying as shit.
6-10 = Characters are enjoyable.

6 = I don't like the pacing of the story. And this ruins anything else that might have been good about it.
7 = I like the pacing of the story, but I want certain moments to last longer.
8 = I like it and I got a boner at least once for a satisfactory length of time.
9 = I like it and I got a boner almost every episode.
10 = Incredible and exactly what I had in mind nothing is missing.
6 hours ago

Aug 2022
i start all rating at 10...minus 1 point for bad visuals...minus 1 point for bad VA...minus 1 point for bad audio/OST...minus 1 point for bad pacing/changing timeline of events(<---looking at you solo leveling)...minus 1 point for removing content...and then minus 1-4 points for overall lack of enjoyment.

using this grading method i usually end with a rating of 6-8.

5 or below for me means that i REALLY hated that show and will definitely never watch it again in the future, or recommend it to anyone...unless that person wants to watch a dumpster fire.

6- is passable(mostly) <---guilty pleasure anime (it was terrible but i loved it for no reason lul)

7- is a pretty solid anime, might be willing to watch again at some point.

8- is a really good show, starting to recommend it to other people to watch.

9- this show was great, adaptation was great. just needs a touch up here or there and the show would be perfect. DEF gonna rewatch in the future...

and 10...nothing needs to be said...it was fantastic. adaptation was faithful...visuals were great...audio was on point...VA's did a fantastic job...loved every minute of it.
6 hours ago

Feb 2020
Hmm, it's usually based on my enjoyment.

8-10/10 are the good ones.
6 hours ago

Apr 2021
Instinct. I don't think too much about it.
5 hours ago

Jul 2013
For me it goes like this, now-a-days, 9 and 10 is any anime that can make me cry (joy or sadness). Since I don't have much emotional stimulation in real life and live action almost never does it for me, any show that can do that will be a 9 or 10. 10 is reserved for anime that are exceptionally special. In the past I used to give 9 and 10 to many shows, some I have kept because they are actually good (and nostalgia) and others I have downgraded.

8 is a show I really liked. Typically I finish it very quickly, watching multiple episodes at a time (as long as it isn't currently airing). It gets an 8 and not higher, since it didn't tug on me emotionally like the ones I give 9 or 10.

7 is a show I like. That's it.

6 is a show I didn't like too much but it wasn't all that bad.

5 and below are shows I typically don't like. I typically start at 2 for the worst shows and add a point based on some aspects of it that I feel are good. I will admit that sometimes I give good shows a score of 2 to 5 just because I don't like one aspect of it.

1 is a score I never give. Even before my current reason for avoiding score 1, I used to not give any anime a 1/10. Now my current reason? It's simple, the abuse of the 1/10 rating has left a bad taste in my mouth and I just avoid it. Also I do understand that animators (not the parent companies and management) have a passion for their work (even though they may not produce the best show out there). Because of this I also don't like giving 1/10. It feels like in shitting on their work (even if it wasn't to my liking). I'd give a 1/10 to many Hollywood movies/shows, because I don't care about that industry.
5 hours ago

Sep 2018
Once you've watched enough anime, it's just a matter of comparing what you're going to rate with what you're rated in the past (do I like this anime as much as the ones I rated 7, a bit more or a bit less?)

7-10) love
5-6) like
3-4) watchable
1-2) dislike
4 hours ago

Jun 2024
Ratings are based on my enjoyment like

10- Favorites (nope not ranking masterpiece)
9- Very Good( this is my scores on Masterpiece)
8- Good( this is normal score)
7- Semi Good( this one is also good but lack on something)
6- Fine( this one is average.)

Mostly I recommend are 10-8 based on my score although I more forgiven I just rated them based on my enjoyment, 10 this is really click me even is no masterpiece but I just really like it.
4 hours ago

Jul 2024
Reply to Catalano
I wanna do the same but I don't have the time to rate each anime I've seen one by one..
I haven't seen some of them for 20 long years.. So it's not happening.
Catalano said:
4 hours ago

Jan 2023
In my case, it is simply based on my enjoyment of it :)
4 hours ago

May 2024
Enjoyment + how good I think the story was. That's pretty much it.
3 hours ago

Aug 2012
Just how much I enjoyed it. My scores usually range from 6-10 cause anything I just didn't like watching is something I end up dropping and don't want on my list anyways. Unless it's a movie or something.

6- I didn't mind watching/completing this but it's definitely lacking in some way. Be it story, animation or something else.
7- It was nice, sorta your average watch. Nothing outstanding but nothing too detrimental either.
8- I Enjoyed it and looked forward to the next ep every time.
9- It was really good, but not good enough to be considered one of my faves
10- One of my faves for whatever reason

Unless it's a really long anime, I also never rate anything unless I've finished it. Never quite got people scoring anime and writing reviews about a series when there's just one or two episodes out.
3 hours ago

May 2018
enjoyment, then quality, then creativity
can't yuck my yum

3 hours ago

Feb 2014
Vibes.
I rate things based on vibes.

"But what about the explanation in your profile?"
I wrote that 5-ish years ago, it was me trying to "reverse engineer" some logic out of my choices, and I somehow succeeded.
3 hours ago
Jul 2023
Catalano said:

IpreferEcchi said:
9 = I like it and I got a boner almost every episode.

mshfqtny said:
Instinct. I don't think too much about it.

NoelleIsSleepy said:
enjoyment, then quality, then creativity

thewiru said:
Vibes. I rate things based on vibes.

Pretty based, honestly

Saputrai said:
i start all rating at 10 ...

Solid system, can respect. I approach it from a starting point of 5 and add/deduct instead of only subtracting. Otherwise we're pretty similar. I have given some pretty low ratings to animes that I've enjoyed. Even if they're comfortable trash to me, they lack in a lot of areas.

HellindiuM said:
... 8 is a show I really liked. Typically I finish it very quickly ...

This point stood out to me. If a show hasn't made me want to binge it, I find it hard to even consider rating it. There have been a few that have ended up in the "dropped" category because of this. Even some exceptionally trash-tier shows have been able to hold my attention for long enough to get through them though (Dear, Inukai-san's Dog, please erase yourself from my memory).

Nirinbo said:
Once you've watched enough anime, it's just a matter of comparing what you're going to rate with what you're rated in the past ...

I do find myself thinking along these lines sometimes. It happens most commonly when watching sequels. Usually the art, music, etc. are fairly consistent if it's the same studio so I judge more based on the new plot-lines or character development or what-have-you in contrast to the prior seasons.

Dracowyn said:
My scores usually range from 6-10 cause anything I just didn't like watching is something I end up dropping ...

It does seem a little difficult for me to conclude that I didn't find some enjoyment out of the shows I've finished. I think that's to be expected, especially with how little I've actually watched. Alongside that, I don't start a show that doesn't "sound interesting" to begin with, so, makes sense to me. Although, I have been surprised more than once at just how bad some aspects of a show can be that I would otherwise find enjoyable. Typically that feeling happens when the writers start strong out of the gate and then fall on their face with the plot, or when something with the art quality drastically dips in later episodes/seasons.

More topics from this board

» Do any misconceptions about anime and media particularly bother you? ( 1 2 3 )

RobertBobert - Aug 17

136 by RobertBobert »»
19 minutes ago

» Anime Sucks Now

DigimonSommelier - 3 hours ago

32 by deg »»
28 minutes ago

» Is Clannad After Story the deepest romance anime?

Krystopher - 10 hours ago

12 by DigiCat »»
29 minutes ago

» what is the best one season anime you'd rec anyone ? (less than 30 eps)

ame - 3 hours ago

10 by no_comparisonBM »»
30 minutes ago

» Battle shounen being misunderstood on this website ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenzolo-folk - Aug 12

310 by DigiCat »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.