Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 3, 11:24 AM

Jan 2023
If you are an amateur, don't reply to this as you don't know what you are talking about.

But it has to be said why on earth do I look at lists and see someone has put a 1 hour 20 (4episode) movie on par with One Piece and other long animes.

There is zero logic in this, you get no time with the characters and no time for the world building. Logically the only way to gain this experience is through rewatching it enough times to the point where you've spent more time in the world of the movie than One piece.

This is where my rating system shows itself to be superior because for me, I rate based on how much I've watched, and because of this some movies which I rewatch lots is high rated, but this rubbish movies no one wants to rewatch are lowers.

If you spent 1000 episodes on One Piece, but only 4 episodes for a movie, tell me ANIME FANS, how can it be better than one piece, try not to humiliate yourself in the comments
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 3, 11:29 AM

Sep 2016
Seems you never heard of entertainment value per time investment before. Yes, that's how standalone movies can be rated higher than long-running series and many people rate media like this.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Aug 3, 11:29 AM

Mar 2023
And the legend is back to business..
Aug 3, 11:30 AM

Feb 2020
And the legend is back to business. (2)
Aug 3, 11:31 AM

Jan 2023
Reply to Zarutaku
Seems you never heard of entertainment value per time investment before. Yes, that's how standalone movies can be rated higher than long-running series and many people rate media like this.
@Zarutaku this is a fallacy, if you loved a movie so much you would have dedicated your time to it and rewatched enough to overtake longer shows
Aug 3, 11:31 AM

Jun 2016
OP back at it again with the low IQ rating system.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 3, 11:32 AM

Jan 2023
Reply to Theo1899
OP back at it again with the low IQ rating system.
@Theo1899 spending time on good anime is high IQ
Aug 3, 11:35 AM

May 2022
Never Seen such a retarded prompt. Congratulations for this high level bait.
Aug 3, 11:39 AM
Apr 2024
Stories don't need to be long to be good, Serial experiment lain and madoka magica are only 13 episodes, gundam the witch from mercury and neon genesis evangelion are 24-26 episodes but the writers know how to make you care and how to make you invest in the plot or themes, otherwise detective Conan, doreamon and pokemon would be considered masterpieces (big pokemon fan but no fan will say it is), and all of the shows I talked about are ones it is interesting to reflect on after you watched as much and even more than when you watch
Aug 3, 11:40 AM

Jan 2023
Reply to Guilmon1
Stories don't need to be long to be good, Serial experiment lain and madoka magica are only 13 episodes, gundam the witch from mercury and neon genesis evangelion are 24-26 episodes but the writers know how to make you care and how to make you invest in the plot or themes, otherwise detective Conan, doreamon and pokemon would be considered masterpieces (big pokemon fan but no fan will say it is), and all of the shows I talked about are ones it is interesting to reflect on after you watched as much and even more than when you watch
@Guilmon1 and this is where professional elitist rating systems outshine amateur ones.

If SEL is so good, watch it 10 times, then it is 130 episodes long experience and better than the 90 episode series that you've watched.

For me there is no excuses here, if something is so good, it can PROVE itself through watch time
Aug 3, 11:42 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to BestListMAL
@Guilmon1 and this is where professional elitist rating systems outshine amateur ones.

If SEL is so good, watch it 10 times, then it is 130 episodes long experience and better than the 90 episode series that you've watched.

For me there is no excuses here, if something is so good, it can PROVE itself through watch time
@BestListMAL but I think and reflect on the show without rewatching it 100 times, gundam too even though I rewatched it the most fun is after you watch, reflecting on characters and themes
Aug 3, 11:45 AM

Oct 2018
Stacks challenge 2024 august Hide Ads Search
Forum - Anime Discussion

Select
Top > Forum > Anime Discussion > High IQ Only Why Low Ep Anime ...
High IQ Only Why Low Ep Anime Fails
Copy link

New

BestListMAL
Aug 3, 2024, 3:24 PM
If you are an amateur, don't reply to this as you don't know what you are talking about.

But it has to be said why on earth do I look at lists and see someone has put a 1 hour 20 (4episode) movie on par with One Piece and other long animes.

There is zero logic in this, you get no time with the characters and no time for the world building. Logically the only way to gain this experience is through rewatching it enough times to the point where you've spent more time in the world of the movie than One piece.

This is where my rating system shows itself to be superior because for me, I rate based on how much I've watched, and because of this some movies which I rewatch lots is high rated, but this rubbish movies no one wants to rewatch are lowers.

If you spent 1000 episodes on One Piece, but only 4 episodes for a movie, tell me ANIME FANS, how can it be better than one piece, try not to humiliate yourself in the comments
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
Aug 3, 11:50 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to BestListMAL
@Zarutaku this is a fallacy, if you loved a movie so much you would have dedicated your time to it and rewatched enough to overtake longer shows
@BestListMAL No, because rewatching so many times decreases the entertainment value, unless you suffer from advanced dementia.
ZarutakuAug 3, 12:11 PM
Aug 3, 11:53 AM

Jan 2023
Reply to Zarutaku
@BestListMAL No, because rewatching so many times decreases the entertainment value, unless you suffer from advanced dementia.
@Zarutaku you have only gone and proven my point, your favourite anime can't stand up to the rewatch test. Mine can tho
Aug 3, 11:53 AM

May 2024
I will have to say your logic is flawed and therefore you are wrong.
Aug 3, 11:58 AM

Apr 2024
People mostly rate based on how they have liked the anime and it is TOTALLY POSSIBLE to love more a movie than an entire anime.

You are not that guy so smart that no one understands you
Aug 3, 12:01 PM

Apr 2024
Reply to BestListMAL

BestListMAL said:
watch it 10 times

We have other anime that we want to discover , we want to know the medium more and more , not putting a weird limit on our watching of anime and we are not jobless too btw
Aug 3, 12:03 PM

Sep 2016
Reply to BestListMAL
@Zarutaku you have only gone and proven my point, your favourite anime can't stand up to the rewatch test. Mine can tho
@BestListMAL There's no need for such a test, unless you suffer from advanced dementia.
Aug 3, 12:05 PM

Dec 2015
Here we are again.

If the movie does equal or better job than long running anime than the long running anime/manga creator/s should take a lesson that in shorter span of time another creator/s were able to create a media with bigger values of enterteinmant, alongside with story, score, characters, world building and other stuff.

To remind that I've somewhere noted that I've rewatched Bleach so many times that it is at the level of insanity and yet I still like a good quality movies/short titles.
I found my screenshot of my calculations [can't tell if I didn't make a mistake back than, just to update stuff said, BrianxStephanie finished cour 2 of TYBW already, Awake is on Fullbring Arc, while Project deleted/resigned from Bleach reactions, none new youtubers as I don't recall watching anyone else, and many of theory/analysis stuff on Bleach stuff so the numbers has only increased]

Aug 3, 12:06 PM

Oct 2013
Oooh....I think I heard about you, guy who thinks length in any way dictates quality or enjoyment level. I should come up with a shorter name than that, but not worth the brain power. Humor me for a bit. Is your insistence on this rooted in something deeper?
FanofActionAug 3, 12:10 PM
Aug 3, 12:25 PM

Feb 2023
What a stupid thing to have a superiority complex over.
Aug 3, 12:30 PM

Apr 2018
So what you're really trying to say here is that "Days of our Lives" is the greatest television series in the history of mankind, right?
Aug 3, 12:32 PM

May 2022
don't bother answering him. He's a troll.
Aug 3, 12:37 PM

Dec 2021
BestListMAL said:

The keyword is "earth". Since your rating system appears to be based on your own proper time, I conclude that the misunderstanding arises from the non-relativistic nature of the system.

“If one feels it is fun now, one will be able to enjoy life the most. Everything will change over time, so we must treasure the happy moments before us.”

Aug 3, 12:57 PM

Jan 2009
quality is greater than quantity as the saying goes
Aug 3, 1:00 PM

Jul 2021
Oh no, you are back, not this meme argument again, that was painful a year ago too.
Aug 3, 1:32 PM

Jan 2021
The king of weebs has returned, truly such greatest is beyond we meer mortals. Elucidate us into the complexities of your superior big brain thinking
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Aug 3, 1:34 PM

Jan 2021
Wait how do long running anime series that share a wider universe factor into this.
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Aug 3, 1:37 PM

Aug 2017
I think you should include exponantials in your formula.
Aug 3, 3:44 PM

Oct 2023
That has to be one of the dumbest ways to rate something, seriously... I lost brain cells trying to comprehend your logic. How does rewatching something help you understand a character better? Maybe you have ADHD or some type of short term memory loss. I don't know but since you are so full of yourself I think you and your rating system can go pound sand.
Aug 3, 4:04 PM

Apr 2020
One Piece is one piece while 4 episodes are 4 pieces, mathematically 4>1.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Aug 3, 4:10 PM

Sep 2018
The real question is would you ever want to rewatch One Piece.
Aug 3, 4:18 PM
Mar 2024
Rewatching doesn't change the characters or the world building and any difference you notice on rewatch is just because your IQ on first watch was too low and your brain was too slow
Aug 3, 9:52 PM
Oct 2019
Ah, there he is. Back with another "length = quality" thread.

People can enjoy a shorter series more than a longer series, because the amount of time they invest into the series isn't directly correlated to how much they enjoyed the series. This should not be a hard concept to understand.

And I'm not even saying this because I've invested little time into my favorites. I've watched No Game No Life and NGNL Zero 6 times so far, and I'll probably rewatch them again after I finish rereading the light novels, I just think your "rating system" is dumb and arbitrary.
Aug 3, 10:09 PM

Nov 2020
This is troll right? No way someone can actually think like this
Aug 3, 10:12 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
What's the point of watching One Piece when you could be watching General Hospital which has over 14,000 more episodes?
Aug 4, 12:51 AM

Feb 2022
What about slows like jjk and demon slayer that are high IQ in spirit and genre but lack episode count? checkmate (✿◕‿.◕) pero~
Aug 4, 9:29 AM

May 2023
I love when someone pulls IQ metrics to judge others entertainment choices.. enlightening, these threads are..

I am asleep.. Good Night!
Aug 4, 9:38 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to Luchipher-Zen
I love when someone pulls IQ metrics to judge others entertainment choices.. enlightening, these threads are..
@Luchipher-Zen

If you think the OP is being serious I got news for you
Aug 4, 9:42 AM

May 2023
Reply to JoeChip
@Luchipher-Zen

If you think the OP is being serious I got news for you
@JoeChip for me it's very hard to tell when someone's being serious or not in MAL forums tbh.. some feign being or not being serious.. some feign non-seriousness while being serious and vice-versa.. I was serious though.. I do love it..

I am asleep.. Good Night!
Aug 4, 2:29 PM

Sep 2019
Where's your Reinhard pfp picture at bro? Smh people can't even troll correctly these days.
Aug 4, 5:25 PM

Mar 2019
"you don't know what you are talking about."

Apparently you don't either...¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 4, 5:31 PM
Dec 2020
Simple really, the one piece anime is trash
Aug 4, 5:41 PM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
One Piece has 1100+ episodes, but if you cut out all the recapping, improved story pacing, removed the boring filler parts, made the characters speak at a normal pace (they speak slowly on purpose to somehow make a 24 min episode each week), then you'd probably get 200-300 episodes worth of content.
This show does not respect your time investment, and in return you shouldn't respect the show either. If you do, you have no respect for yourself, OP.
Aug 4, 7:48 PM

Jul 2024
Aug 4, 8:31 PM

Nov 2020
Your reasoning sucks and your brain is malformed, OP

if you're gonna post bait make it believable bro
ngl punpun was a bit of an asshole
SLAVE KNIGHT GAEL IS DEAD!!!!!

Aug 4, 8:45 PM

Jun 2024
Well, I will give you the best anime and a masterpiece of all is
That called Sazae-San that have 7000 episode it all started in 1969 and still running, this have life lesson so I called the masterpiece
Aug 4, 8:47 PM

Jul 2023
What kind of topic is this. Why do even watch OP? Go, watch other thing rather than making thus kind of shit discussion. Such disgrace.
BestListMAL said:
not to humiliate yourself in the comments

Lol, you're humiliating yourself
Talent is something to nurture, and wisdom is something to hone

Aug 4, 8:51 PM

Feb 2014

This is the third time today I thought about using this, but the first time I did.
“When people see some things as beautiful, other things become ugly.
When people see some things as good, other things become bad.”
Aug 4, 9:13 PM

Oct 2019
Both low EP and high EP series have their own merits, if you want facts, let me give them to you. In fact, I'm a guy who prefers high episode counts too.

High EP demerits:
Do you want to know what's a series that has a high episode count? Naruto and what do you always hear from Naruto? Fillers. That's the no. 1 issue that often happens with long EP series. In exchange for pursuing a complete adaptation, you have to go through content that has nothing to do with the source material, which oftentimes feels like a waste of time. Sometimes they do try to work it out and make some really good filler, but it's something you only see once in a while.

Trying to watch an anime that has a high episode count may seem like a lot of content to you and may feel very satisfying, but it's not exactly the best either. I'm judging by your pfp that you're a fan of Fullmetal Alchemist, so think back to the original adaptation before Brotherhood came out. The Original's ending wasn't supposed to happen like that, so they tried to redo the anime in order to provide a more complete adaptation. It's a demerit for long episode series because sometimes if the studio lacks enough budget or source material, the studio would have to either end it on a cliffhanger (show them at the part before the supposed war arc begins) in order to create time for authors to make more chapters for enough material or create an original ending that betrays the flow and build-up of the story.

Long episode series also suffers from killing the pacing of the story. Animes like One Piece and Naruto especially struggle with this because a usual episode would adapt around 2 to 3 chapters whereas these guys have to make setbacks or try to make episodes feel longer so it passes off as a 24-minute episode. Naruto's answer has been given, but how are you supposed to adapt only a few pages out of a chapter to make it 24 minutes long? The solution? Flashbacks, walking that lasts longer, make their expressions last longer, recaps that last for 3 minutes, and play openings so that you can provide less new content to make sure the material never stops coming. It's a flawed solution but one that kept One Piece airing until like 1000 episodes.

Low EP demerits:
There are so many mediocre anime out with like 12 episodes that have the same premise and characters every time, it's also one of the things why I don't like low EP series that much. It usually means there's a lack of imagination and creativity or how deliberately obvious it looks like a cash grab. But even then, saying high EP series are better than low EP series is like disregarding movies in general, there are good anime movies that I cherish very deeply.

Conclusion:
Trying to say One Piece is better because it has MORE episodes is like gatelocking yourself from other experiences. You're basically saying movies suck.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» why is netorare/ntr so overhated? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Aug 2

62 by ghostsamurai »»
2 minutes ago

» Will we ever get an anime as good as Zima Blue

JoeChip - 7 hours ago

12 by BigBoyAdvance »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Characters actually aging and growing older as the series goes on

TheBlockernator - Aug 3

12 by MechKingKillbot »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » Have your favorite shows changed at all since the anime craze began?

RobertBobert - Aug 4

32 by bucciest »»
30 minutes ago

» Do you find Anime to be too safe and soulless nowadays compared to previous decades?

Dragevard - Aug 4

26 by bucciest »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.