Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 13, 2023 7:58 AM

Nov 2011
Konoha tasked with yet another game project. At least she does get some help in unconventional ways.

Episode had drama, comedy, and overall an interesting execution to its main plot imo. Konoha looked kinda silly in that suit but what she discovered this episode was eerie...yikes.
Dec 13, 2023 10:19 AM

Apr 2010
Well Konoha got herself into trouble again.
Tho i didn't expect people to use Toya to trap her like that, i wonder how this will end.
This time line seems a bit inspired by the Cyberpunk genre which is popular again last couple of years.
Dec 13, 2023 10:29 AM

Nov 2011
Add Kidnapping to the list of things I did not expect to see in an anime about making video games. Nice to see some IRL manga and LN though.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Dec 13, 2023 10:38 AM

Oct 2022
i'm glad this is 13 episodes because i have absolutely no idea how they would wrap this up with 1 episode left

(also i aged slightly when konoha's first time in akihabara as a tiny child was when persona 5 and GuP der film were new in 2016)
fgsfds
Dec 13, 2023 10:39 AM
Nov 2017
Why did they have to mess this up? This was one of my favorite animes of the year and I didn’t even expect it and I was letting the time travel go but now we’re kidnapping people too and keeping them in drug induced comas wtf
Dec 13, 2023 10:40 AM
Sep 2015
It's just too sci-fi for its own story.
Dec 13, 2023 10:40 AM

Mar 2022
Wow the AI issue is too real lol. It's scary that at present day your voice can faked using AI and even video to an extent. Then the plug suit from FGO and the Matrix pods using people like batteries. This show sure is exciting every episode.
Dec 13, 2023 10:44 AM

Mar 2021
This was a great episode with Konoha and Mamoru getting to work on a new game,really wasn't expecting to see Konoha being kidnapped and taken to a creepy facility the plot just seems to be getting more random and I loved seeing the GuP Poster on the wall during Konoha's Memory of her first visit to Akihabara
Reecey91Dec 13, 2023 2:20 PM
Dec 13, 2023 11:06 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
In the modern world dev teams are not as large as they were back in the heyday thanks to both software and AI. Crunch time tools doesn't seem to have changed much it seems. Funny that Konoha seeing Mamoru off was exactly like that of a wife seeing her husband off. Using bootup sounds as a relax method sure is unique but very Mamoru like. Toya sure ended up signing up with the wrong people. One that has no qualms about kidnapping and putting people in tanks once they're done all they could looks like. Honestly that was one development that i did't expect. A fine stage to use the collective power of the 98's again though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 13, 2023 11:29 AM
Sep 2023
Wah!That’s one amazing twist.
They are transferring human intelligence of the people behind the legendary games to AI
And glad to see PC-98 in action
Rom-Com_loverDec 13, 2023 1:49 PM
Dec 13, 2023 11:49 AM

Mar 2015
Been really enjoying this series for the most part but a little worried about the new plot point introduced in the last 5 minutes with only two episodes left. Hope it isn't going to go in some weird direction.
Dec 13, 2023 11:58 AM

Feb 2019
Holy shit what the hell was that ending lmao? I’m worried about this ending now. I think the time travel game development plot was perfect, but going with the kidnapping creators and making their brains into AI might be a bit too ambitious and too big of a plot change. I hope they can land it since I love this show

Seems like we went from playful banter between Konoha and Mamoru to a kidnapping plot and her waking up in the Tron world lol.

Rest of the episode was cool though. I like how they touched on the use of AI in game development, something that’s very relevant in the real world. You also have the ethical concerns of using AI like we see with the American exec using Touya’s voice. Speaking of which, fuck that dude.

They touched on Konoha’s personality beginning to change to reflect the current era which I thought was a nice stake to add to things. If she doesn’t get back to her proper time soon, she may become fully part of this one. The clock is ticking.

Two more episodes let’s see how it goes
Marinate1016Dec 13, 2023 12:07 PM
Dec 13, 2023 12:10 PM
May 2017
The Butterfly Effect caused the anime/manga culture to go practically extinct and the world to go dystopic. Konoha became a victim of 1984.

Support the anime/manga culture.

Very good episode!
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Dec 13, 2023 12:12 PM
May 2017
Reply to Marinate1016
Holy shit what the hell was that ending lmao? I’m worried about this ending now. I think the time travel game development plot was perfect, but going with the kidnapping creators and making their brains into AI might be a bit too ambitious and too big of a plot change. I hope they can land it since I love this show

Seems like we went from playful banter between Konoha and Mamoru to a kidnapping plot and her waking up in the Tron world lol.

Rest of the episode was cool though. I like how they touched on the use of AI in game development, something that’s very relevant in the real world. You also have the ethical concerns of using AI like we see with the American exec using Touya’s voice. Speaking of which, fuck that dude.

They touched on Konoha’s personality beginning to change to reflect the current era which I thought was a nice stake to add to things. If she doesn’t get back to her proper time soon, she may become fully part of this one. The clock is ticking.

Two more episodes let’s see how it goes
@Marinate1016 I love how deliciously weird this anime series is.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Dec 13, 2023 12:35 PM
Aug 2017
WTF just happened and where did my lovely retro gaming show go all of the sudden? :D
Dec 13, 2023 1:16 PM
Mar 2015
This ep is wild!

• Train your own AI using your own art to create AI generated waifus
  • Mamoru-kun offers Konoha the boof (Happy Supplements)
  • Konoha becoming the warehouse-wife seeing Mamoru off in the morning
  • Mamoru-kun showing off a new level of degeneracy with the PC-98 ASMR playlist
  • Development hell
  • Get tricked by a deep-fake during a phonecall
  • Get abducted only to be plugged into a (literal) think-tank

This story got completely derailed and I would've liked to see more quirky 90s or early 00s gamedev stuff, but I think I'm fine with this.
Dec 13, 2023 1:29 PM
Jul 2021
mamoru listening to PC-98 ASMR was hilarious! sometimes I feel nostalgic for old computer sfx so I get him LOL

that kidnapping plot caught me off guard though bc I was excited for toya and konoha to reunite after all these years. I knew it was too good to be true…

can’t wait for next week’s episode!
Dec 13, 2023 1:54 PM
Jun 2016
What is going on? The fast dissolve between "making fun games with friends" and "high stakes time-altering shenanigans" snuck up on me and I didn't really notice how big of a deal it was supposed to be until now. Like in retrospect, I can recognize the setup that went into getting here but I still wouldn't have guessed the extent to which it was going to lead to such a weird climax. This show is still plenty fun and weird but... if I weren't already a slice-of-life defender, THIS would be the anime that made me one.

Plot? Stakes? Intrigue? BAH who needs that?! These days, trying to take a story seriously feels like a complete coin flip on whether or not it works out.

Just give it to me clean and simple: Comfy slow-roasted character development over the backdrop of comfy non-threatening narrative and aesthetic juiciness!
Dec 13, 2023 2:29 PM

Jun 2012
I guess whoever made this manga/anime, must really, really hate USA game companies, i mean, people like Kotick do some shady stuff...
Dec 13, 2023 2:39 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
This anime has taken such a strange turn in its last few episodes
Dec 13, 2023 2:46 PM
May 2017
zamasz said:
WTF just happened and where did my lovely retro gaming show go all of the sudden? :D

this is always been the point of the series

also AIbros will not like what Mamoru said on this episode lol
Dec 13, 2023 2:50 PM

Mar 2019
Konoha's phone being able to receive calls raises some questions. If she and her possessions were warped from the past to this alternate present day timeline would she really still have the same phone number, cellular provider, and active SIM card? When she entered this new timeline did she replace an existing version of herself that already has that phone set up or are there now two Konohas in this world? If it's the first then the attempts to call her should have gone through even if she wasn't aware of Toya's existence yet. If it's the latter then there would be two phones, but this timeline's original Konoha must have a different phone number explaining why Toya's calls never went through. But then time travelling Konoha's phone number shouldn't work because she would have no active cell plan here. Maybe the computing power of 10,000 PC-98s will be able to answer this
Dec 13, 2023 2:55 PM

Apr 2014
hey!!!!!!!!! I know these girls.
AkeZZZDec 13, 2023 2:58 PM
何それ?意味分かんない
Dec 13, 2023 3:09 PM
Jul 2015
Oh no, pls, why? They had something good going there, only 3 more episodes to go, the path was clear. AND NOW THEY TURN IT INTO FFFING HORSE SHIT?!
Dec 13, 2023 3:36 PM
Dec 2020
Am loving this one so far but I totally didn't expect that ending.
This will either be great or dogshit, guess we'll have to wait and see!
Dec 13, 2023 3:50 PM
Jul 2021
This anime is stretching itself way too much. 13 ep why?

And the anime is even making "fun" of itself, by remarking that the annoying MC voice "had become" "more adult"
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Dec 13, 2023 4:14 PM

Nov 2016
What in the name of fucked up twists was that? Lmao.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 13, 2023 4:31 PM

Sep 2018
And to think I had this at 9/10 in the beginning lol, sometimes, less is more.
Dec 13, 2023 5:50 PM

Apr 2022
could just about see megumin on the konosuba cover huh.
Dec 13, 2023 6:48 PM

Oct 2014
Reply to L-Mo-Reppin
Why did they have to mess this up? This was one of my favorite animes of the year and I didn’t even expect it and I was letting the time travel go but now we’re kidnapping people too and keeping them in drug induced comas wtf
@L-Mo-Reppin me too man... me too...
Dec 13, 2023 8:21 PM

Jul 2017
Konoha and Mamoru creating their own game with the help of AI, or rather, Mamoru's custom AI software, it's a game that needs to redefine history. The usual pleasantries aside, it's clear that Konoha has to make the game fast, because she's slowly getting influenced by the alternate world, much from remembering how Akihabara is like in her own world, in an adult state.

A surprise call from Toya, and Mamoru's worries that Konoha has to make the data and bring it back in 1999, how would that be possible. Not to mention, the surprise kidnapping by Toya's rival company to obtain Original Cuu's creator, which became the deal of the merger between her company and Glenn's Planet Games Japan, it can only spell disaster for her...literally being in a think-tank of sorts.

With the army of his PC-98s, Mamoru will set off on a rescue for Konoha, before it all goes to puff. What a plot twist, though somewhat unexpected as well.
Dec 13, 2023 8:54 PM

Jan 2019
I wonder if there is already R34 content featuring PC-98?
Dec 13, 2023 9:00 PM

Aug 2016
reminds me a bit of the epilogue in Yuno
MichaelJacksonDec 13, 2023 9:45 PM
:v
Dec 14, 2023 12:04 AM

May 2015
I was just thinking the other day about making a VN using AI for the images and music. Nowadays, a one person team can do all that. AI can be scary sometimes.
Dec 14, 2023 12:11 AM

Mar 2008
Im guessing the people in the tanks are artists having their thoughts fed into AI to produce content.
Dec 14, 2023 1:49 AM
Jan 2013
This convoluted nonsnse is why Wakaki Tamiki should have been retired.Its seems that those big nreame corporate authors,Eva,madoka and Fate writers are the ones responsie for such bad writing being mainfested by forcing this trash to be animated.

Dec 14, 2023 3:08 AM
May 2011
Reply to L-Mo-Reppin
@L-Mo-Reppin I agree, this kinda went too far for me. I just want to go back to fun and games lol
Dec 14, 2023 5:13 AM
Jul 2020
I'm not a fan of the new direction this is heading. Evil corporation abusing people is so cliché and has been done to death. This series had a good thing going at the start.
Dec 14, 2023 7:53 AM

Aug 2020
Konoha is working on a top notch game that will make history, and Mamoru is giving her tips and supporting.

Now, I wonder what is going on in that facility, besides the theory I have that these big figures are humans o.O

Also, Toya is even more stunning here. Time is by her side... ^_^

Dec 14, 2023 11:39 AM
Aug 2020
i was not expecting that

it was not that...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Dec 14, 2023 1:47 PM

Sep 2012
I was really worried initially about the implications of Konoha's past alterations and was afraid they were going to downplay and brush it off conveniently somehow. Especially because of how their game development went too smooth and easily for me in Episode 9 - I was afraid they might go down a trend of glossing over the hard stuff. I also couldn't see how an anime about appreciating bishoujo games could tackle the implications of the time travel without getting severely off-topic.

The alternate reality of Akihabara and bishoujo we saw the previous episode was interesting, but the execution felt contrived and pointless by itself. It was too tame. It wasn't enough of a payoff, and didn't tie together the whole time travel setup well enough for me. So seeing how this episode went and knowing they're willing to pull out all stops with the time travelling plotline was actually a relief for me.

They were sneaky about it, dropping the cryptic out-of-place Episode 8 then going back to business as usual. But as foreshadowed, the 'future' part of the 'past, present, future' equation is finally here. The show had appreciated the past and present, but now it wants to acknowledge and explore the hypothetical future.

When they touched on AI and deepfakes it suddenly felt way too real. And right after that, it went all out with the kidnapping and sci-fi stuff. I'm guessing the show wants to be as bombastic as Konoha and pull off something that pays homage to all the crazy VN twists of legacy, especially the goat Steins;Gate (and S;G0) with all the influences it has had on the show.

Relieved to know that it runs for 13 eps and not 12. Don't want to get my hopes too high for a perfect execution because this is all quite insane and ambitious, but I'm personally very satisfied and relieved with how this particular episode went.
koagzeroDec 14, 2023 1:53 PM
Dec 14, 2023 2:13 PM
Nov 2022
The anime got super seinen 🚬.

At what point did this become a futuristic moe-focused dystopia? xdddd

God, I think this is the first time I've seen a reference to Girls und panzer and konosuba at the same time, of course there's also Re:zero, love live, etc...

Dec 14, 2023 3:59 PM
Feb 2021
The twist with (absorbing entertainment from the humans?(idk)) was kinda unexpected. And the post ed scene was funny
Dec 14, 2023 7:53 PM

Jul 2021
What the hell is going on?
“There are only two types of people in the world--those who became otaku and those who didn't--and the latter just can't understand what the former is so excited about."--Ono Norihiro

Dec 14, 2023 10:57 PM

Mar 2008
koagzero said:
When they touched on AI and deepfakes it suddenly felt way too real. And right after that, it went all out with the kidnapping and sci-fi stuff. I'm guessing the show wants to be as bombastic as Konoha and pull off something that pays homage to all the crazy VN twists of legacy, especially the goat Steins;Gate (and S;G0) with all the influences it has had on the show.

They seem to be just trying to sometimes literally sometimes non literally show the ups and downs of AI in visual novels and in general. Since I assume the tanks have something to do with AI using brainwaves to create content. We will see.
Dec 15, 2023 3:50 AM

Sep 2012
Reply to traed
koagzero said:

They seem to be just trying to sometimes literally sometimes non literally show the ups and downs of AI in visual novels and in general. Since I assume the tanks have something to do with AI using brainwaves to create content. We will see.
@traed I don't know how they're going to follow up next ep, but I think what they've done so far is quite a straight ball on the topic, though maybe not fully fleshed out yet.

Using the pretext of an alternate reality where technology is years ahead to propose what we might see in the future, and trying to come to terms with both sides of the debacle. With a hypothetical future where not just art, but games, music and writing has seen widespread adoption of AI-use commercially, which makes sense since games are just a business at the end of the day and businesses prioritise the speed and efficiency of output. (Though it doesn't cover much on the ethics of this) And yet despite its efficiency, how there is something missing and uninspiring in the resulting product that lacks the human touch and 'imagination'.
(EDIT: On second thought. I'm not an expert on how AI works, but from a layman's viewpoint, training AI solely on your own art could be seen as a way to counter the ethical issues? In that sense, though they didn't cover it explicitly, maybe it can be implied that the creators already thought about it and already incorporated those considerations into the method Mamoru proposed to Konoha. It's not much, but it's something I guess. Though I don't know if it's a good thing for the show to go too in-depth into such topics either so maybe it's for the better.)

Agree that that's what the tanks probably allude to. It's almost proposing some Black Mirror-esque dystopian scenario (or maybe it has already done so), and I hope it follows that direction to the extreme. Seems like fun.

Just worried about the limited runtime left. She does still have a game to make...

koagzeroDec 15, 2023 4:14 AM
Dec 15, 2023 12:33 PM
Dec 2014
wtf what kind of substances were the creators on when they created the last few episodes? Is this the same show anymore?

but you know what, I like it
kasenomDec 15, 2023 12:36 PM
Dec 15, 2023 4:04 PM

Mar 2008
Getting some serious Steins Gate vibes from this episode. Mega powerful corporation, kidnapping, etc. Poor Konoha.
Dec 15, 2023 10:42 PM
Jun 2019
this episode truly something
Dec 16, 2023 1:38 AM

Mar 2012
Everytime Akiba stops being a moe mecca world goes to shit
Toya showed signs of becoming a total bitch already in '99 so no surprise she might have done a lot of shady stuff in the rise of her company.

People is comparing the humans in the pods as the Matrix batteries, but I'm thinking more about DERQ and how Aggle kidnapped people to power their game AI using their brains to give life to the NPCs.
Also Mamoru using a big PC-98 cluster to power his AI, let's not forget back in the day there were frameworks of PS2 (though this was due cost-effectiveness) so never say never.

"Original cuu" sounds bad, but well, considering what "cute" is for those usa gamemakers we shouldn't be surprised.
Waifus only represent ideals
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 16bit Sensation: Another Layer Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2023

110 by HandStuckInTable »»
May 7, 3:10 PM

Poll: » 16bit Sensation: Another Layer Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 22, 2023

88 by Trentsuki »»
Apr 27, 12:19 PM

Poll: » 16bit Sensation: Another Layer Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 4, 2023

126 by lasodamos »»
Apr 1, 1:49 PM

Poll: » 16bit Sensation: Another Layer Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 15, 2023

79 by GavrocheN7 »»
Mar 21, 9:13 PM

Poll: » 16bit Sensation: Another Layer Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2023

61 by SweetMonia »»
Mar 20, 5:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.