Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 6, 2023 8:00 AM

Nov 2011
Damn, England is in a complex state of war now. Canute had a huge responsibility to bear on his shoulders and this episode's tension was high.

Still, I am impressed by the amount of charisma Canute displayed with his leadership. He really has come a long way and isn't afraid to do anything he set his mind to.
Feb 6, 2023 8:00 AM

May 2020
Canute's side of the story.

It wasn't just Thorfinn whose life took an unprecedented turn after Askeladd’s demise, in fact it’s Canute who looks like a totally different being, impacted to the core after the aforementioned incident. Now next in line to the throne of England, along with Ethelred he plans to take the throne all for himself and become the rightful king, through any means necessary. And well there's no doubt he will, given there’s someone like Thorkell serving under him. Good to see him again btw, and that overly energetic self of his. His fondness for wars hasn't changed a bit though. 

Look you, Eadric you tried to buy Canute with truckloads of gold but does he really need them? No, I mean he wants the throne of England. So nevermind the gold, heck he burned his whole land just to give a reality check of what would happen if someone would refuse his wish. Man has to poison Ethelred after all, and that’s your foe down. Ethelred’s son suffered the same fate and… that’s the throne for Canute. He would make his enemies fall with any means necessary. The one true quality of a cunning leader.

Smug was aight
[font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]
Softhenic03Feb 6, 2023 8:06 AM
Feb 6, 2023 9:01 AM

Jan 2019
I love political intrigue like this, such an amazing episode. It felt very grounded yet compelling with Canute schemes and how he rises to power. You can definitely tell how much Sweyn's death has changed Canute both physically and mentally.

Thorkell returns! Man how I missed that massive hunk of slaughter machine... 
Feb 6, 2023 9:01 AM

May 2021
What an episode wow!
OMG that Canute glowup.
Beautiful power show off and his road to the crown.
Askeladd Mappa version still looks lit.
Feb 6, 2023 9:04 AM

Jan 2009
damn this adaptation is slow pace huh, the farm arc will take the whole 2 cour at this point

anyway Canute uses his brain and not brawns like Thorkell to win fights

brawns = 10 years to conquer England
brain = 3 years to conquer England
Feb 6, 2023 9:04 AM

Feb 2019
LETS GOOOOO political intrigue and negotiation by force this is the good stuff.

Canute may not be as direct as his father and predecessors but his mental warfare is as brutal as they come. Way more efficient than his father too, instead of just brute forcing his way to subjugating England he realised the best way was to get people in England on his side and have them do the dirty work. Brilliant idea.

Again the anime does an excellent job of elevating the source material here. Showing you canute’s growth and how he is different from traditional kings of the time.

Always good to see Thorkell too
Marinate1016Feb 6, 2023 9:09 AM
Feb 6, 2023 9:13 AM

Jul 2012
deg said:
damn this adaptation is slow pace huh, the farm arc will take the whole 2 cour at this point

I personally think the farm arc is too long for 12 eps, but also too short for 24 eps. So I guess their choice here is to expand some of the materials. Not complaining, though, the things they added is great, and I'm enjoying them so far.

Also the OST for this episode is goated.
Feb 6, 2023 9:14 AM
May 2021
Canute went thru a glow-up!! He was a pretty boy at the start of the series hahaa, what war does to you.
Feb 6, 2023 9:19 AM

Jun 2015
This, my friends, is what have become of Canute. Mind over muscles. A man changed by war.
Feb 6, 2023 9:27 AM

Nov 2016
Thorkell wins the duels and battles.

Canute wins the war.

Both are GOATS in their way.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 6, 2023 9:28 AM

Oct 2022
Canute and Thorkell finally returned. Big disagreement on how to invade the Britain. good paced episode with historical references. Then will be more of Farmland

Feb 6, 2023 9:36 AM

Mar 2020
We stepped away from the farm this week, and I love the political themes here, plus we got to see Canute and Thorkell again. After King Sweyn's death, it wasn't just Thorfinn whose life took a turn, Canute's life drastically changed as well. Two kings of England were present at this time, with Ethelred and Canute eyeing the throne, but only one could remain, and Canute would use any means necessary to get it, though surprisingly, he never used violence, but more mental warfare, and it still feels so satisfying to see him succeed. It took ten years for England to be conquered with war and violence, but for Canute, just three years were necessary for him to take England. Brains over brawn, every day!

Oh, how far Canute has come since Season 1, and I'm all for this change. What an episode!
Feb 6, 2023 9:45 AM

Oct 2022
Got to see Thorkell, that's just what I wanted.
Feb 6, 2023 9:48 AM

May 2016
Canute sure turned into hell of bastard for poisoning 2 kings back to back.
Feb 6, 2023 9:54 AM

Jun 2019
Damn... that was a hell of an episode. Canute has changed a lot and it looks for better and for worse. But, I'm liking his new aura. He finally became the king after the mysterious illnesses of the previous two kings. I wonder what happened there. LOL.

But, it seems like things will start to get real juicy from here on out. Thorkell isn't very fond of Canute as of now and some of his men as well. I wonder how will he handle all the situations.
Feb 6, 2023 10:06 AM
Dec 2022
EXCITED FOR UPCOMING EPISODES
Feb 6, 2023 10:09 AM

May 2015
Canute is unstoppable. I'm intrigued what will happen next.
Feb 6, 2023 10:13 AM
Aug 2022
S1- Virgin Canute

S2- Glows up to become a Chad
Feb 6, 2023 10:13 AM

Jan 2018
An episode without Thorfinn and Einar. Instead it focuses on Canute and how he became king. Goated.

I didn't realize until now that Thorkell is voiced by Akio Ootsuka who voiced Adachi in Yakuza: Like a Dragon. He's also the Japanese voice of Solid Snake. His voice is amazing.
Feb 6, 2023 10:19 AM
Sep 2021
waiting for thorfinn to fight
Feb 6, 2023 10:21 AM

Jul 2022
Fabulous and refreshing shift of gears over to Canute's situation. 

Loving the colorful and detailed animation. It's weird thinking of historical war stuff as having a touch of slice of life. I suppose that would be bonafide drama.

Whatever the case, this was a fun change of pace.
Feb 6, 2023 10:24 AM

Jun 2014
Always great to see familiar faces like Canute and Thorkell again. Canute sure has come a long way from who he was in season 1, thanks to the craziness that took place in the first seasons finale (thanks for giving us a recap of that holy shit moment,  Mappa). He's no longer a scared little boy anymore, he's now out here poisoning people to force his way to being king. Quite the development for his character. Back to farming next week. 
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Feb 6, 2023 10:27 AM

May 2015
Very dramatic episode.
Feb 6, 2023 10:39 AM

Oct 2017
Both the king and his son died of illness, nothing suspicious here. Canute conquared it in just three years.
Feb 6, 2023 10:53 AM
Aug 2022
This is getting better with every episode!!
Feb 6, 2023 10:56 AM
Aug 2016
Canute and Thorkell have finally returned in Episode 5 of S2! Ngl, I was instantly hyped the moment I saw both of them. Ahh... the memories of S1 keep coming back of their adventures together

The episode starts with Canute walking with his army to Mercia, with some historical context that there are two self-proclaimed kings, first being Canute and second being Ethelred II who came back from exile from Normandy after hearing about Sweyn's death. Canute then goes to meet Eadric, one of Ethelred's supporters in the hopes to pursue him to kill Ethelred so that he can become the king. 

Eadric being the firm supporter of Ethelred refuses, so Canute lights a signal bonfire and pillages whole of Mercia thereby forcing Eadric to comply in assassinating Ethelred. And so he did, in 1016 Ethelred dies of an 'unknown illness' and he is succeeded by Edmund, who suffers the same fate of death by the unknown illness. The path becomes clear for Canute and he becomes official King of England. Damn, that's some character development from a wimp who couldn't even say stuff on face to a chad king.

Damn, preview of next episode is looking great. Thorfinn with hairbun?! Ahhhhh this is going to be awesome!

5/5 episode.

PS: I hope the people complaining about backgrounds are satisfied with this episode as there really wasn't anything to nitpick. This really was Wit level animation lmao. Also, Canute giving order to behead rapists... damn that felt satisfying for some reason. 
Feb 6, 2023 10:59 AM
Nov 2021
Show has gone to crap, season one they dub as a prologue well it got everyone hooked into a certain style of show. To completely 180 it is bad form, this show will never get a season 3. 

Show will never recover imo.

Askeladd was such a big character and they dont have anything to replace that with. 
Feb 6, 2023 11:03 AM
Nov 2021
Canute did not disappoint man. He’s becoming one of the best characters in the show. Incredible episode!
Feb 6, 2023 11:08 AM
Oct 2016
Either kill that wannabe coward old man who calls himself King and keep your land, or stand with him to fight me and I'll burn it all down. Rather simple choice when its laid out like that. Canute has turned a page in his life since becoming King of Denmark and England. Askeladd killing his father opened many doors for the young man. Since that day Canute has made it his mission to quell the uprising caused by the shift in power. The old king whom was exiled when Sweyn was ruling has returned to try and take back England causing headaches for Canute. I loved this episode so much, seeing Canute again in such a different way is shocking but exciting. He's changed so much from that meager boy cowering behind his retainer. Canute has stepped into the shoes of being king very well. The dialogue during the scene where that Earl tried to bribe Canute to get him to leave was spectacularly written. Canute telling him off and putting things into perspective before presenting that choice. Thorkell rushing through the army to tell Canute he was displeased with the battle ending was funny. Big guy just wants to fight not a truce, hes not too happy with all the poisonings either. Thorkell would much rather defeat his enemies in combat that with underhanded methods. Canute however knows its much simpler to just dispose of these lowlife rulers quickly as possible. Now he's done in three years what took his father a decade. Canute King of England long may he reign.
Feb 6, 2023 11:11 AM
Aug 2016
0451 said:

I didn't realize until now that Thorkell is voiced by Akio Ootsuka who voiced Adachi in Yakuza: Like a Dragon. He's also the Japanese voice of Solid Snake. His voice is amazing.
He also voiced Kyoraku in Bleach and Dimple in Mob Psycho 100! :D
KoustubhFeb 6, 2023 11:19 AM
Feb 6, 2023 11:15 AM

Sep 2014
Canute showed how effective cunning scheming and negotiations can be in the grand scheme of things. The madlad poisoned 2 kings back to back in a way that no one suspected they were assassinations. He's finally the King of England. On the other hand, Thorkell cannot stand the way Canute handles things since he cannot enjoy war and battles lol

Watching again Askeladd beheading Sweyn was a nice treat too.
MonkeyDHunterFeb 6, 2023 12:06 PM
Feb 6, 2023 11:37 AM

May 2018
Canute looking so cute kawaii UwU Hnnngh Thorkell best girl is also back wow :O 
Feb 6, 2023 11:42 AM
Dec 2021
Canute is so powerful, damnnn
Feb 6, 2023 11:48 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
So great to see Askeladd again even if it was for a little while.

I really dig how they switched some of the content around and even added some little bits and pieces to flesh out the story and political context around.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 6, 2023 11:48 AM
Aug 2022
Work in progress hehe.. amazing ep with smug Canute✋😌
Feb 6, 2023 11:51 AM
May 2019
Thorkell is one of the worst characters in this series, I hated him in first season. He is like an typical cliché anime overpowered character, the plot would be much better without him tbh. 
Feb 6, 2023 12:05 PM

Sep 2017
Gonna guess this episode takes place between season 1 and where season 2 starts for Thorfinn. Perhaps this is actually confirmed but I can't remember if a date was mentioned in the first 4 episodes or not, nor if anyone mentioned Canute being the king of England. Well anyway it's cool to see this but I'm wondering how relevant it will be. Feels like it has to tie back into our main cast at some point else it's pretty weird like "oh btw here's what Canute was up to in-between seasons."
Feb 6, 2023 12:48 PM

Dec 2019
Holy... what an episode. It's rare you see characters wield as much influence over both the characters and the audience as Canute, I was fully enthralled the whole time.
Feb 6, 2023 12:57 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Canuto did it!!! And in a short time!!! kekeke
Feb 6, 2023 1:07 PM
Jul 2018
This episode is very good
Feb 6, 2023 1:13 PM

Jul 2022
no thorfinn this episode but goddamn did canute become a badass man
Feb 6, 2023 1:32 PM
Wings

Apr 2017
The best episode of this season so far, and far more interesting than the farming.

Canute is a lot more tolerable and less pathetic now - I can't say the same for his beard.
Feb 6, 2023 1:52 PM

Jul 2014
Great episode focused on my boy Canute
Feb 6, 2023 2:02 PM
Jan 2023
asdqua said:
deg said:

I personally think the farm arc is too long for 12 eps, but also too short for 24 eps. So I guess their choice here is to expand some of the materials. Not complaining, though, the things they added is great, and I'm enjoying them so far.

Also the OST for this episode is goated.
if you didn't know the prologue is actually longer than the farm arc
Feb 6, 2023 2:04 PM

Apr 2018
Different episode from the usual. I really liked this, it felt slow, but so many things happend. Canute became a king in less than 3 years after defeating his "rivals" in a pretty underhanded, but tactical way. It was nice to see Loki and Thorkell again. Also, the flashback was done pretty well. I really love the ost too.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Feb 6, 2023 2:15 PM
Apr 2021
Thorkell hands are back!!!
Feb 6, 2023 2:17 PM

Feb 2019
Thorkell doesn't like Canute at all and warns him how Askeladd did things, when Canute is no further of becoming just like him.

Feb 6, 2023 2:28 PM

Feb 2014
This episode was a showcase of how much Canute has grown. I still remember him back in season 1 when he was more innocent and wimpy, but as was shown with the recap of that moment between Sweyn and Askeladd, his path towards becoming a man fit to be the King of England started right then and there.

Dealing with a pissed off Thorkell would be intimidating to anyone, but Canute handled it pretty damn well. Same goes for his statement of how strong his mental warfare tactics were with the poisonings of the other kings of England to make sure that throne and title would be his. It took him much less time to get the crown than it took Sweyn, his father, to get the same title, so it shows just how strong he has become.

OST was top notch as well, capturing the moments that this episode showcased effectively. =)
Feb 6, 2023 2:44 PM
Oct 2022
Canute has a beard now ;w;
Feb 6, 2023 2:49 PM

Jan 2021
Canute really became the king of England it’s hard to imagine compered to s1 he’s a completely different person

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2023

370 by ebobota »»
Yesterday, 10:57 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2023

488 by wibugar »»
Yesterday, 1:09 AM

» Thorfin a pushover?

Superninjaboy2 - Apr 27

45 by LargeSkittle »»
May 6, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2023

284 by OrganikPatates »»
Apr 30, 6:52 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2023

379 by __Klavier__ »»
Apr 30, 3:43 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.