Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 23, 2022 7:00 AM

Nov 2022
Someone once recommended me Love Stage!! and I loved it since it depicted yaoi material but done in a wildly comical way.

Though, I'm curious, is there shows that have LGBTQ themes in them?

Now, to clarify, I'm looking for anime that centers around same sex affection. Not hentai, that's stupid easy to find. But shows that are written more maturely and don't have characters that feel the need to remind you about this trait of them that makes them attracted to same sex. Similar in vein to typical sitcom western shows.

Anything of the sort?
Nov 23, 2022 7:04 AM

Feb 2021
Bloom into You and Citrus were the two yuris that I've watched, and Bloom into You was pretty good while I liked Citrus for the spice but I heard the manga is better.

I've also heard about Sasaki and Miyano but I haven't seen it yet.
Nov 23, 2022 7:09 AM

May 2015
Infyrin said:
...and don't have characters that feel the need to remind you about this trait of them that makes them attracted to same sex.

I have seen a few girls love and one or two boys love anime but still I don't understand what are you getting at with that. I don't rememeber gay anime characters doing that.
Perhaps you mean that you want to see stories where the gay characters are there just for the sake of being represented but do nothing that would remind the viewer that they are gay. I haven't watched western sitcoms recently so I don't have a clue.

My recommendations anyway: Aoi Hana, Given, Girl friends, Bloom into you, Octave, Her Tale of Shim Chong and if you go for spice then Warikitta Kankei desukara (though a few of them are manga not anime)
+ Hourou Musuko (Wandering Son)
IshitatesoNov 23, 2022 8:26 AM
Nov 23, 2022 7:16 AM

Aug 2017
Sarazanmai is a very nice watch but it's definitely not your typical sitcom western show.
Nov 23, 2022 7:21 AM
Jan 2017
Revolutionary Girl Utena is one of the greatest things I've seen in my entire life.

Given is also really good, No.6 is really good.
Nov 23, 2022 7:24 AM
Jul 2018
Try Kunihiko Ikuhara shows like Yuri Kuma Arashi & Utena.
Nov 23, 2022 7:27 AM

Nov 2019
For BL I sincerely recommend Tian Guan Ci Fu, Yuri on Ice, Doukyuusei and No.6, they're all great and with healthy, natural relationships between characters.

As for GL my picks would be Asagao to Kase-san (I love it), Kobayashi-san and Adachi to Shimamura. People also like Liz to Aoi Tori a lot, tho personally it was not for my taste, you can try watching it.
Nov 23, 2022 7:38 AM

Dec 2018
Utena is literally gender roles and heteronormativity suck the anime. But if you want something a little shorter and newer then I recommend Sarazanmai.
Nov 23, 2022 7:48 AM

Aug 2014
Infyrin said:
Someone once recommended me Love Stage!! and I loved it since it depicted yaoi material but done in a wildly comical way.

Though, I'm curious, is there shows that have LGBTQ themes in them?

Now, to clarify, I'm looking for anime that centers around same sex affection. Not hentai, that's stupid easy to find. But shows that are written more maturely and don't have characters that feel the need to remind you about this trait of them that makes them attracted to same sex. Similar in vein to typical sitcom western shows.

Anything of the sort?

>Joined November 2022
Says it all really
Nov 23, 2022 7:52 AM

Jul 2013
Good luck finding what you're looking for and last I checked, Japan isn't really into weirdo, far left stuff. What conservatives call cultural marxism. We're talking about cartoons and animation from a whole other state, republic, etc.

Just ask Ken Akamatsu even though every other Japanese person is oblivious to anything far left that westerns care deeply about everyday.
Kurt_IrvingNov 23, 2022 7:55 AM
Nov 23, 2022 7:52 AM

Sep 2021
I haven't watched much lgbtq anime but the first thing that comes to my mind here is with no doubt Banana Fish, it's pretty damn good
tho i haven't watched them I hear that Bloom Into You and Given are pretty good ones
Nov 23, 2022 7:56 AM
Jul 2021
Mucharetsu said:
Sarazanmai is a very nice watch but it's definitely not your typical sitcom western show.

That shit fake pandering, fake bait show? Hell no,
. Ffuk no.

OP only Number 6 comes to mind.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Nov 23, 2022 7:56 AM

Feb 2021
Kurt_Irving said:
Good luck finding what you're looking for and last I checked, Japan isn't really into weirdo, far left stuff. What conservatives call cultural marxism. We're talking about cartoons and animation from a whole other state, republic, etc.

Just ask Ken Akamatsu even though every other Japanese person is oblivious to anything far left that westerns care deeply about everyday.
Wait until you hear that gay conservatives are a thing...
Nov 23, 2022 8:10 AM

Aug 2021
Kurt_Irving said:

You said Japan isn't "weirdo"???
What are you talking about? Japan is literally one of the only countries in the world that has children's animations featuring lgbt characters that run in prime time...

@Infyrin
I believe that Shoujo Kakumei Utena is a good recommendation for you.
Absurdo_NNov 23, 2022 8:15 AM

Nov 23, 2022 8:15 AM

Mar 2015
Kurt_Irving said:

The two sexual orientations: hetero and political.
Nov 23, 2022 8:15 AM

Nov 2022
Man the tryhard trolling in this thread. Thanks for the suggestions though.

To the few of you, grow up and grow a pair, seriously.
Nov 23, 2022 8:20 AM

Feb 2021
Ai no Kusabi

Ai no Kusabi (2012)

Banana Fish

Free

Given

Honoo no Mirage

No.6

Sasaki to Miyano

SK8 the Infinity

Tian Guan Ci Fu

Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitteiru

Yami no Matsuei

X

Yuri!!! on Ice
MemoreNov 23, 2022 8:24 AM
Nov 23, 2022 11:43 AM

Jan 2021
Everyone already said it but Utena. I could expand to the magical girl genre in general. It's not a central theme but most magical girl anime tends to have queer coded character that are not just fetishisation like it is very often the case in anime. I could also recommend Mahou shoujo lyrical Nanoha even though it became really present only in season 3.

Zombie land saga and Wonder egg priority also have some episodes where trans identity is at the core of the story but it's only for one episodes in each.

There's also Sasaki to Miyano, which is a good romance. I could also recommend Banana fish but it's definitely not just about that.
Nov 23, 2022 1:02 PM

Oct 2017
Everyone says Given and I really need to say IT IS SO FUCKING GOOD DO NOT SLEEP ON IT!! If you are also really into music, you will enjoy the show even more as it has some really amazing music performances and has a lot of aspects of being in a band like struggling to make your song perfect, going out to get supplies at the music store, and drama between bandmates. It is very grounded in its character depictions and there isn't a lot of sexual content either so if sexual content makes you a bit uncomfortable in anime you don't really need to worry about that. As a trans woman who also had to deal with struggles to understand my sexuality (before my gender I know some people discover they're trans first, but I didn't.) I was able to relate to the confusion that Uenoyama was feeling as he discovered he had feelings for someone of the same sex. It is definitely one of my favorite anime and it is not too big a time investment with only 11 episodes a movie and an OVA.

I've heard of some pretty good unadapted manga as well. Love Me for Who I Am is a drama manga with a nonbinary protagonist and focuses on a lot of LGBT characters and relationships. I really want to see it adapted since it is rather short and would be nice to see a nonbinary character featured in a major anime role front and center but considering how toxic the Western fanbase can be regarding trans content specifically, maybe it's for the best it stays a relatively obscure but beloved manga in LGBT circles for now.

MadanielFL said:
I liked Citrus for the spice but I heard the manga is better.

A lot of fans of the manga definitely say it is better. There are a few scenes that were made a lot more rapey in the anime compared to the source material, and the source material actually has an ending unlike the anime which just abruptly ends.

Mod edit: Double posting
KayKimiiNov 25, 2022 11:56 AM
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Nov 23, 2022 1:14 PM
Apr 2021
I really liked Citrus a lot. Adachi and Shimura was pretty good too.
Nov 23, 2022 1:59 PM

Feb 2020
Citrus, Sasameki Koto, and Yuru Yuri are my favorites.
Nov 23, 2022 2:37 PM

Feb 2021
Anti-Username said:
MadanielFL said:
Bloom into You and Citrus were the two yuris that I've watched, and Bloom into You was pretty good while I liked Citrus for the spice but I heard the manga is better.

I've also heard about Sasaki and Miyano but I haven't seen it yet.

Citrus? Has a good Manga? HAHAHAHAHAH

Better isn’t the same as good….
Nov 23, 2022 3:50 PM

Sep 2021
For LGBT Romance Anime:
Sasaki to Miyano - My favorite Romance Anime, super wholesome, cute and a bit of comedy too. It does have a lot of content about BL manga, but it feels like a parody of Otakus/BL-Fans.
Given / Season 1 - Felt mostly like a drama to me, with the love story being part of the "mental journey" of the protagonists. This should definitly fit your description.
Given / Movie - The movie shows the love story of the Deuteragonists. Also focused on an inner journey of the characters, but has a more direct relation to romance and sexuality.
Citrus - I'm currenty watching this (8/12) and I like it so far, especially how the main characters compliment each other and overcome their past and present problems. It does have some problematic themes, such as lack of consent while kissing, step-sibling romance, fake-friends and horrible parents.
Bloom Into You - Very heavy drama, but unlike Given and Citrus not based on trauma but rather Slice of Life. I found it somewhat slow, but interesting in how it portrays expectations and reality for first loves.

All of them are somewhat standart choices, but I support them.

There are also quite a few same sex romance subplots in other genres. My favorites are Birdie Wing (Sports), Lycoris Recoil (Action) and Hamefura (Isekai/Comedy).

In Sports, Action and Comedy however, both same sex and straight couples for the main characters often remain "heavily hinted" rather than canon and sometimes you even need a bit of imagination to get them together. The later isn't really the cause with my recommendations, but you might be disappointed if you search for more of that stuff.
Nov 23, 2022 5:31 PM
Dec 2021
Otherside Picnic stands out amongst GL with its eerie supernatural plot.
Nov 23, 2022 9:03 PM

Mar 2019
Revolutionary girl Utena, Patalliro, Ai no Kusabi, Fuyu no Semi, Devilman, Doukyuusei, Given, Harmony, Madoka, Mo Dao Zu Shi, R.O.D: Read or Die, Umibe no Etranger,

Mod edit: Quoted post was deleted.
KayKimiiNov 25, 2022 11:56 AM
Nov 24, 2022 4:06 AM
Oct 2018
Blue Period (https://myanimelist.net/anime/46352/Blue_Period) and Hoshiai no Sora (https://myanimelist.net/anime/37972/Hoshiai_no_Sora).

Both center on a straight male lead and their interactions with gay and trans friends make the shows pretty interesting.
Nov 24, 2022 4:16 AM

May 2020
Infyrin said:
Man the tryhard trolling in this thread. Thanks for the suggestions though.

To the few of you, grow up and grow a pair, seriously.

there are growing up.

geeeeeeeeeeeeeez
Nov 24, 2022 6:51 AM

Feb 2021
Anti-Username said:
MadanielFL said:

Oh really? Could you please define better?
"of a more excellent or effective type or quality."

Citrus manga has a more a excellent quality than the anime, but it doesn't mean its "good"

It wasn't that hard yk...
Nov 24, 2022 7:06 AM
Nov 24, 2022 7:17 AM

Jul 2015
Blue Period has a trans character, that singlehandedly carries the show. The west should learn, that you don't have to replace good writing with representation.

Nov 24, 2022 7:27 AM
Sep 2021
Anti-Username said:
MadanielFL said:

Oh really? Could you please define better?

Two people sit an exam marked out of 100 with a passing grade of 40. One of them scores 2 and the other gets 5. The person that got a 5 is 'better' but still not 'good'.
Nov 24, 2022 1:53 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Jormungand... Sexy bossy women have the hots for each other while getting aroused from shooting and slashing bitches and stupid men..

Nov 24, 2022 2:26 PM
Jun 2021
Lol no
They are all shit and poorly made
you could try yarichin bitch club
Nov 24, 2022 2:36 PM

Dec 2019
Bloom into you, that is all for me at least.
Nov 24, 2022 11:35 PM

Sep 2021
Xiao Lü he Xiao Lan
Tian Guan Ci Fu
Yuri!! on Ice
Nov 24, 2022 11:46 PM

Apr 2012
I love how people keep offering either pure shipping or fan service.
Nov 25, 2022 12:09 AM
Community Mod
💧Focalors💧

Mar 2022
Thread has been moved to the correct board.
Nov 29, 2022 5:35 PM

Nov 2012
Kuragehime
Gravitation
Hidamari ga Kikoeru
Kase-san

More topics from this board

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone/genre/theme of sci-fi/futuristic/post apocalyptic/modern times + fantasy/medieval/magic/old times?

Donkunsan - Apr 18

33 by Donkunsan »»
10 minutes ago

» Any anime with a despicable/contemptible villain?

Gfralp - 6 hours ago

3 by Spunkert »»
3 hours ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

21 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
4 hours ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - Apr 24

2 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
5 hours ago

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Yesterday

7 by Tsuyatoash »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.