5.6%
Other
14.8%
All trash.
4.5%
535 votes
Apr 7, 2022 8:09 AM

Jun 2015
A battle shonen, as the name implies, is one that focuses heavily on fighting that is integral to the plot.

What do you think is the best 'battle shonen' anime of all time?

Mod Edit: Thread locked for being a random X vs Y thread.

Anime Discussion Rules 2: Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage discussion; e.g. random "xx vs. yy", picture collecting, simple listing, etc.
KarinaraMay 1, 2022 2:16 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 7, 2022 8:17 AM

Oct 2018
Attack on Titan is seinen, it is better written and more mature than all "battle shounen"

Stop quoting me, I already had my butt kicked, please!
PhosphophyllitaApr 8, 2022 10:13 PM
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Apr 7, 2022 8:18 AM
Aug 2021
Kamen Rider is the only correct answer here.
StaciasApr 7, 2022 8:28 AM
Apr 7, 2022 8:20 AM

Sep 2018
Hunter x Hunter
JoJo
World Trigger

Chainsaw Man is also a fine contender for the top.

EDIT: Avatar is a solid 6/10 so it wouldn't be the best battle shounen, if it were a shounen in the first place.
NirinboApr 7, 2022 10:25 AM
Apr 7, 2022 8:24 AM

Sep 2020
From this list, my favorite is probably Aot and Jojo.
Apr 7, 2022 8:24 AM

Oct 2010
I love the fact that you said DB and not DBZ, here's a complete top
Dragon Ball
Hokuto no Ken
Bleach
Dragon Ball Z
YuYu Hakusho
Rurouni Kenshin
Soul Eater
D.Gray-man
Magi
Black Clover
Gintama
Jojo 3 (1993)
Naruto
Jojo 6
One Piece
Naruto Shippuuden
Fairy Tail
Inuyasha
Nanatsu no Taizai
Jujutsu Kaisen
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Hokuto no Ken 2
Medaka Box
Boku no Hero Academy
Hunter x Hunter
Apr 7, 2022 8:25 AM

Jun 2017
My Hero academia is better than all of those combined
Apr 7, 2022 8:27 AM

Apr 2020
Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) >>>>>>>>> rest
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Apr 7, 2022 8:31 AM

Dec 2020
Jojo and hxh easily .

As for one piece the fights don't really appeal to me , I am more interested in the lore,mystery and the world itself.

Coming to new gen Chainsawman is overhyped as FK jjk is far superior in every aspect.

Apr 7, 2022 8:33 AM

Jan 2022
Phosphophyllita said:
Attack on Titan is seinen, it is better written and more mature than all "battle shounen"

Better written compared to an average shounen but if u bring in Gintama or One Piece, it ain't better than them

Join the Door lovers! club if you are a real door appreciator!
Apr 7, 2022 8:58 AM

Jan 2022
KIOSHI_17 said:
Phosphophyllita said:

Better written compared to an average shounen but if u bring in Gintama or One Piece, it ain't better than them
And what's the "better writing" in them?

"People normally feel happiness...when they love and are loved in return. I feel happiness when people hate me...and I feel compelled to hurt the things that are dear to me. But is that so strange?"
Apr 7, 2022 9:03 AM

Jan 2021
Phosphophyllita said:

Shingeki no Kyojin is a shonen, it was published on a shonen magazine therefore it is shonen.
Apr 7, 2022 9:06 AM
Jun 2021
Hokuto no Ken for me. Most later shounen are lacking in masculinity, and I like my men macho.

That said I think most battle shounen are schlock, around the same level as cape movies, it's just HnK is schlock I like the most.
TheMechaManiacApr 7, 2022 9:10 AM
Hot Blood saves lives.
Apr 7, 2022 9:10 AM
Jun 2020
Phosphophyllita said:
The characters on that show, except for 2 or 3 are terribly written.

Being Seinin doesn't make everything mature. Blood, gore, tits are what makes it seinin, most anime have that.
Apr 7, 2022 9:10 AM

Oct 2018
Ionliosite2 said:
Phosphophyllita said:

Shingeki no Kyojin is a shonen, it was published on a shonen magazine therefore it is shonen.

I don't think so, shounen is for kids and Shingeki is too mature for kids

A_G_N said:
Phosphophyllita said:

Being Seinin doesn't make everything mature. Blood, gore, tits are what makes it seinin, most anime have that.

? Eren, Mikasa, Levi, Erwin, Hange, Sasha, Gabi, Jean, Floch, Armin, Magath, Falco... They're all great.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Apr 7, 2022 9:11 AM
Jan 2022
would have liked JoJo's to be in the poll but oh well
Apr 7, 2022 9:13 AM
Jun 2021
A_G_N said:
Phosphophyllita said:

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Both of you are wrong. Seinen is just the target demographic - adult men 18 and above. (Some put the upper boundary at 40 but it's really arbitrary and not everybody agrees). Maturity doesn't make an anime/manga seinen, in fact a lot of seinen works are actually iyashikei moeblobs. As for blood, gore and tits, yes many anime have that, but seinen are allowed to be EXPLICIT with it. You'll never find a naked teat in a shounen. Or a dick being explicitly shown.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Apr 7, 2022 9:14 AM

Dec 2019
Ionliosite2 said:
Phosphophyllita said:

Yeah sure it's published as shounen but the story is clearly way more seinen oriented ESPECIALLY post time skip.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2022 9:14 AM

Jan 2021
Phosphophyllita said:
Ionliosite2 said:

I don't think so, shounen is for kids and Shingeki is too mature for kids

A_G_N said:

? Eren, Mikasa, Levi, Erwin, Hange, Sasha, Gabi, Jean, Floch, Armin, Magath, Falco... They're all great.

Shonen and seinen are demographics for series under the magazine they are published. It doesn't matter if they are "too mature" than others because at the end of the day, it depends in which magazine they are published and SNK was published on a shonen magazine.
Apr 7, 2022 9:16 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
I would vote other but all of them are trash is also a good option.
Apr 7, 2022 9:16 AM

Jul 2021
Voting for Avatar would be too easy, only someone who hasn't watched it wouldn't consider it.

I'm split between Black Clover, Douluo Dalu and Doupo Cangqiong. One Piece is great, but it's too long and, honestly, too filled with crap that muddies it. If it wasn't it probably would be the best battle shounen there is, minus avatar obv.
Black clover, on the other hand, is pretty exciting in its own right, and it does a great job at bolstering the true meaning of teamwork.
Douluo Dalu isn't the first choice just because the current episodes are pretty slow, and that biases me a bit.
Doupo Cangqiong has the issue of art changing throughout its seasons but by the end of the year a remake is gonna fix that problem.
The fights are absolutely outstanding in all three of them, so if I had to pick one based solely on that either would be fine.
Apr 7, 2022 9:18 AM
Jul 2020
for me, it'd be Yu Yu Hakusho but it not there :(
Apr 7, 2022 9:20 AM
Jun 2021
-Inferno- said:
TheMechaManiac said:

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Both of you are wrong. Seinen is just the target demographic - adult men 18 and above. (Some put the upper boundary at 40 but it's really arbitrary and not everybody agrees). Maturity doesn't make an anime/manga seinen, in fact a lot of seinen works are actually iyashikei moeblobs. As for blood, gore and tits, yes many anime have that, but seinen are allowed to be EXPLICIT with it. You'll never find a naked teat in a shounen. Or a dick being explicitly shown.

Baki is shounen and has "naked teat" in it lol .

It's really an arbitrary division as I said. A lot of it depends on the magazine running the manga - Baki is Shounen Champion while for example Shounen Jump would never allow that.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Apr 7, 2022 9:20 AM

Jan 2022
Another battle shounen thread which turned into "Attack on Titan is Seinen not shounen."
@Ionliosite2 and @A_G_N ignore that guy he is troll. He hates Aot but makes ridiculous claims (like "Aot is peak fiction", "Aot is Seinen not shounen" )to make fandom look bad.

"People normally feel happiness...when they love and are loved in return. I feel happiness when people hate me...and I feel compelled to hurt the things that are dear to me. But is that so strange?"
Apr 7, 2022 9:38 AM

Jan 2021
Anyhow, obviously the best battle shonen is Dragon Ball.
Apr 7, 2022 9:40 AM

Aug 2020
Other (your vote).
For me it's gintama but then it's a parody too so either d gray man(manga) or pandora hearts (manga).
Apr 7, 2022 9:53 AM

Jan 2022
_Fallacy_ said:
KIOSHI_17 said:

It's kinda obvious if you have watched them. They got well written and overall better characters...for example take Gintoki, he is not like any other shounen character. Backstories are top tier aswell (just take the Joui war). The Overall storyline progression is smooth af and makes sense. Everything connects so well (arcs like sogun assassination, farewell shinsengumi, rakyugo etc). Also, if we're talking about worldbuilding and foreshadowing, then one piece shines the most...It has places like enies lobby, water 7, dressrosa, WCI, wano etc etc....Oda literally foreshadowed a dragon form of a character around chapter 300(which was about 15 years) and it appeared recently into manga's actual storyline
KioshiApr 8, 2022 9:21 AM

Apr 7, 2022 9:58 AM

Sep 2019
It's obviously Avatar (I've only seen the first season lol) and no, I will not elaborate.
Apr 7, 2022 10:03 AM

Jan 2022
KIOSHI_17 said:
_Fallacy_ said:

It's kinda obvious if you have watched them. They got well written and overall better characters...for example take Gintoki, he is not like any other shounen character. Backstories are top tier aswell (just take the Joui war or Odens past). The Overall storyline progression is smooth af. Everything connects so well
But Gintoki is your typical shounen main character. Most of the time he just jerk off like Naruto or Luffy .....but when it comes to his friends he starts acting like a mature cool dude( like in benizkura arc or any serious Arc of Gintama).

Anyway ,fine if you think they are better written who am i to call them bad. Afterall, people like consuming garbage and hell-ing it as best anime.

Apr 7, 2022 10:05 AM

Jan 2022
_Fallacy_ said:
KIOSHI_17 said:

It's kinda obvious if you have watched them. They got well written and overall better characters...for example take Gintoki, he is not like any other shounen character. Backstories are top tier aswell (just take the Joui war or Odens past). The Overall storyline progression is smooth af. Everything connects so well
But Gintoki is your typical shounen main character. Most of the time he just jerk off like Naruto or Luffy .....but when it comes to his friends he starts acting like a mature cool dude( like in benizkura arc or any serious Arc of Gintama).

Anyway ,fine if you think they are better written who am i to call them bad. Afterall, people like consuming garbage and hell-ing it as best anime.

so you're calling Gintama garbage now lmao?

Apr 7, 2022 10:10 AM

Feb 2021
Catalano said:
I love the fact that you said DB and not DBZ, here's a complete top
Dragon Ball
Hokuto no Ken
Bleach
Dragon Ball Z
YuYu Hakusho
Rurouni Kenshin
Soul Eater
D.Gray-man
Magi
Black Clover
Gintama
Jojo 3 (1993)
Naruto
Jojo 6
One Piece
Naruto Shippuuden
Fairy Tail
Inuyasha
Nanatsu no Taizai
Jujutsu Kaisen
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Hokuto no Ken 2
Medaka Box
Boku no Hero Academy
Hunter x Hunter

Good list and I would say it is not correct to put Hunter x Hunter below JJK and KnY. So far I would say HxH is most boring long running shounen I have watched. So I rated it 6.
I even enjoyed Naruto to some extent but HxH wasn't anything enjoyable as much as I expected.
Apr 7, 2022 10:11 AM

Jan 2022
KIOSHI_17 said:
_Fallacy_ said:

I lowkey said all the reasons why it's better with factual statements and all you come up with is that silly "garbage" comment. It's pretty clear who's the right one here

Apr 7, 2022 10:11 AM
Jul 2018
Naruto is better than all of those shows lmao
Apr 7, 2022 10:12 AM

Jan 2022
KIOSHI_17 said:
_Fallacy_ said:

Atleast i consider it garbage lmao.

And foreshadowing is basic part of writing. It doesn't make anything well written or bad. Callbacks to things from the past isn't foreshadowing. Foreshadowing is more subtle or intricate. That dragon part which you mentioned in your earlier post is call back. And it's the same story with most of the so-called foreshadowing in OP.

Edit : @KIOSHI_17 stop editing your message. If you can't write then write first on your note pad then post here.

Apr 7, 2022 10:16 AM

Jan 2022
_Fallacy_ said:
KIOSHI_17 said:

And foreshadowing is basic part of writing. It doesn't make anything well written or bad. Callbacks to things from the past isn't foreshadowing. Foreshadowing is more subtle or intricate. That dragon part which you mentioned in your earlier post is call back. And it's the same story with most of the so-called foreshadowing in OP.

You're wrong lmao. Foreshadowing is one of the things that decide if anime is well written or not and majority of those ain't same in one piece. Also; there's nothing so called 'back' thing that you said. Don't go on making things by yourself...

Apr 7, 2022 10:17 AM

Jan 2022
_Fallacy_ said:
KIOSHI_17 said:

Edit : @KIOSHI_17 stop editing your message. If you can't write then write first on your note pad then post here.
What's the problem with editing them? My typo is ass so I have to make changes sometimes

Apr 7, 2022 10:18 AM

Jan 2022
@KIOSHi_17 what was factual? "Gintoki isn't your typical shounen mc"? Which i already proved wrong. Every shounen MCs have backstories ,all of them say some cringe "what is wrong and what is right" quotes when they get serious. Nothing new, pretty generic writing and its the same with most of them.

Apr 7, 2022 10:25 AM

Jan 2022
KIOSHI_17 said:
_Fallacy_ said:

You're wrong lmao. Foreshadowing is one of the things that decide if anime is well written or not and majority of those ain't same in one piece. Also; there's nothing so called 'back' thing that you said. Don't go on making things by yourself...
I'm right lmao. Anyone with little idea of good writing can tell who is right and who is wrong.

"Making things"
Sure.

And adding 2 lmao and 2 lol in your post doesn't give you any Validification. Except that you are wrong.

Apr 7, 2022 10:34 AM

Jul 2019
Overall One piece is the best battle shounen as of now.
Peak of hxh is unmatchable but this anime is very inconsistent between arcs.
I have to see how Aot ends.
Wating for csm.
Apr 7, 2022 10:39 AM
Jun 2021
And as always it descends into outright sh**flinging.

This is why I abandoned battle shounen ages ago - the fandoms are so mad at each other it's impossible to have a sane discussion.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Apr 7, 2022 10:45 AM

Jan 2022
TheMechaManiac said:

This is why I abandoned battle shounen ages ago - the fandoms are so mad at each other it's impossible to have a sane discussion.
What is sane discussion?

How mecha fans do sane discussion, Considering you are one.

"Code Geass is overrated , it's gundum ripoff, lelouch is edgy char-aznableksjhdh whatever fck it's."

"TTGL is overrated?"
"Neon Genesis Evangelion is melodramatic ,and is only for edgy teenagers?"
_Fallacy_Apr 7, 2022 10:49 AM

Apr 7, 2022 10:45 AM
Oct 2021
Waiting for Chainsawman, but I guess the manga should be better than the anime's
Apr 7, 2022 10:50 AM
Jun 2021
_Fallacy_ said:
TheMechaManiac said:

What is sane discussion?

How mecha fans have sane discussion, Considering you are one.

"Code Geass is overrated , it's gundum ripoff, lelouch is edgy char-aznableksjhdh whatever fck it's."

"TTGL is overrated?"
"Neon Genesis Evangelion is melodramatic ,and it for edgy teenagers?"

Ey, no need to be aggressive.
Those three shows aren't the problem, it's the "I don't like mecha but..." people who only watch the popular three without actually trying something else from the genre. At the same time those fans eat up moe/battle shounen/whatever popular anime because some anituber said so.
Do note this does not apply to people who actually tried out something that's not from the Trio and did not find the genre interesting.

Meanwhile just look at this thread and all the pointless SnK yammering and tell me this is sane.
TheMechaManiacApr 7, 2022 10:54 AM
Hot Blood saves lives.
Apr 7, 2022 10:58 AM

Jan 2022
TheMechaManiac said:
_Fallacy_ said:
What is sane discussion?

How mecha fans have sane discussion, Considering you are one.

"TTGL is overrated?"
"Neon Genesis Evangelion is melodramatic ,and it for edgy teenagers?"

Those three shows aren't the problem, it's the "I don't like mecha but..." people who only watch the popular three without actually trying something else from the genre. At the same time those fans eat up moe/battle shounen/whatever popular anime because some anituber said so.
Do note this does not apply to people who actually tried out something that's not from the Trio and did not find the genre interesting.
Still doesn't change the fact the "insane discussion" is not exclusive to only shounen fans. And this isn't limited to these three titles ,there more to it. And i do visit Gundum and other Meacha discussion forums and i know what kind of "sane" discussion happen there.

And i can literally form the same argument for battle shounen fans."this does not apply to people who actually tried out something that's not from the Trio and did not find the genre interesting".

You still not answered my question."What is sane discussion?"

Edit : @TheMechaManiac don't edit your message, it's hard to reply like that.

And that aot discussion is nothing new it's very common. As i told earlier the person who made that argument is known for hating Aot. He is a troll.
_Fallacy_Apr 7, 2022 11:01 AM

Apr 7, 2022 11:01 AM
Jun 2021
_Fallacy_ said:
TheMechaManiac said:

Still doesn't change the fact the "insane discussion" is not exclusive to only shounen fans. And this isn't limited to these three titles ,there more to it. And i do visit Gundum and other Meacha discussion forums and i know what kind of "sane" discussion happen there.

And i can literally form the same argument for battle shounen fans."this does not apply to people who actually tried out something that's not from the Trio and did not find the genre interesting".

You still not answered my question."What is sane discussion?"

Sane discussion is actually giving the cold shoulder to intentional disruptive answers that include buzzwords. And some in this thread did NOT give it.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Apr 7, 2022 11:11 AM
Oct 2020
In terms of animation Demon Slayer, and in terms of fight scenes and longevity Hunter X Hunter
Apr 7, 2022 11:52 AM

Nov 2018
Phosphophyllita said:
It's crazy how so many people took the bait. Keep up the good work.

Catalano said:
Dragon Ball
Hokuto no Ken
Bleach
Dragon Ball Z
YuYu Hakusho
Rurouni Kenshin
I haven't seen Bleach, so this would make this a top 5 and the best take of the thread.
Apr 7, 2022 11:52 AM

Mar 2022
Demon Slayer has the been the best since it started publication.
Apr 7, 2022 12:03 PM

Feb 2020
Other (your vote), but let's say FMAB from this list.
Apr 7, 2022 12:20 PM

Jul 2021
KIOSHI_17 said:
Phosphophyllita said:

Better written compared to an average shounen, until season 4 started*
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Making time to watch anime in daily life.

9765 - Yesterday

25 by Zowabo »»
21 minutes ago

» Do you tend to skip the first episode/first few episodes of long running shows?

TheBlockernator - Jun 15

35 by BlueMaho »»
37 minutes ago

» How do you behave in front of a cute girl

SgtBateMan - Yesterday

48 by nirererin »»
2 hours ago

» Would you quit Anime if Anime caters to the West?

Dragevard - Jun 15

40 by alshu »»
2 hours ago

» What are the requirements for an anime to get "reanimated"?

Ventus_S - Jun 15

17 by deg »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.