Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Feb 2, 2021 8:55 AM
Aug 2020
So not only are we getting some LGBTQ representation, but this show is portraying pedophilia as a BAD thing, unlike most modern anime which would rather enforce it. This is so refreshing to see.
Feb 2, 2021 8:59 AM
Jul 2018
RobertBobert said:
eastsip said:

I had the same thoughts.
The show - girls kill themselves because death is deceptive and girls fall for it ig.
The same show - don't care about gender, bad Neiru bad!
Like what?

I don't know what the show is really trying to tell us, but it sounds pretty sexist as it is.

Yeah... It doesn't sound good. Not the worst offense to come out of anime, far from it, but kind of a cognitive dissonance between the gender exploration of a character and the plot excuse for why there are no boys using the eggs too.

Kosmonaut said:
eastsip said:

I had the same thoughts.
The show - girls kill themselves because death is deceptive and girls fall for it ig.
The same show - don't care about gender, bad Neiru bad!
Like what?
What do you mean? Doubting the truth, SJW? As a Man™, I don't have e m o t i o n s, I have Goals. And I sure as hell would never be deceived by my negative feelings (I don't have any, because I'm a Man™) to kill myself and regret it afterwards... like a girl.

I guess girls are too naive and impulsive to understand your goals.
Feb 2, 2021 9:02 AM

Apr 2012
EastKidd said:
Actuall wanted to say
Kosmonaut said:
I guess the subversion of the stereotype could come from her clear discomfort when she's seen as a boy, but feeling like she has to act like one (and that if fits her better) because of the expectations others (the girls that fall in love with her) put on her - as in, wanting to 'be' what others see her as. She actually comments upon finding Adam's apples 'sexy' and seems very uncomfortable in that scene with the girl she's trying to save, so it could even mean she's bi or actually straight. It actually kind of reminds me of a manga (Himegoto: Juukyuusai no Seifuku), it deals with similar themes of a tomboy not liking to be seen as masculine.

I actually wanted to say one more thing about this, I feel thats not really what the anime is going for. If the point was girls only like her because she's masculine, then that one girl with short hair completely defeated the entire point. She said it didn't matter if Momoe was feminine or not, she still loved her. I'm not sure if Momoe wants the girls she saves to like her because it seems she rarely mentions she's a girl. I feel she might be dressing more masculinely in order for girls to like her but still wants to be perceived as a girl.

She deliberately dresses masculine to get girls, but at the same time wants to be perceived as a girl? Don't you think this is somewhat dissonant and too complicated?

MoonDragon72 said:
So not only are we getting some LGBTQ representation, but this show is portraying pedophilia as a BAD thing, unlike most modern anime which would rather enforce it. This is so refreshing to see.

Can you name at least 2-3 anime that impose pedophilia? Except for shows like Wataten, which were just deliberately ridiculously silly?

@deg Tolerant? Am I intolerant of something? I just find it funny how the show is both trying to be modern and conveying old-fashioned ideas.
Feb 2, 2021 9:04 AM

Jan 2009
RobertBobert said:

@deg Tolerant? Am I intolerant of something? I just find it funny how the show is both trying to be modern and conveying old-fashioned ideas.

well anyway welcome to japanese culture i guess

japan is known for accepting homosexuality even samurais with kabuki afaik but at the same time they still have sexist culture ye
Feb 2, 2021 9:07 AM
Aug 2020
RobertBobert said:
EastKidd said:
Actuall wanted to say

I actually wanted to say one more thing about this, I feel thats not really what the anime is going for. If the point was girls only like her because she's masculine, then that one girl with short hair completely defeated the entire point. She said it didn't matter if Momoe was feminine or not, she still loved her. I'm not sure if Momoe wants the girls she saves to like her because it seems she rarely mentions she's a girl. I feel she might be dressing more masculinely in order for girls to like her but still wants to be perceived as a girl.

She deliberately dresses masculine to get girls, but at the same time wants to be perceived as a girl? Don't you think this is somewhat dissonant and too complicated?

MoonDragon72 said:

Can you name at least 2-3 anime that impose pedophilia? Except for shows like Wataten, which were just deliberately ridiculously silly?

Eromanga Sensei, The Ryou's Work Is Never Done, most of the Monogatari series, Caretaker of Sunohara-sou
Feb 2, 2021 9:08 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
A lot of new information on these episode. Idk if i remember that, wisely. So, here i am writing here for not forget it.

New girl arrived. Tomboy, masculine, and ofc many girls love that shit. But, far on her heart, seems like she didn't like that situations. Because, it led her closest friend to death (i may assume that the girl on her flashback suicide because Momoe rejected her). In the end, she followed that wacky rules system (breaking egg, and else) in order to return that girl friend to live for the second chances (i don't quite like that being said. Its might prefer to the temporary life at those wacky world, like they do all of this time. If its right, then, its logic and pretty much sad. But, if not, well, i dunno about that.)

Beside that, Ai and Rika now pretty much already form a team. Its not so surprising if they all decided joined in one group in order to defeated that wacky world egg gacha system. Either its bad or good, its depend the later episodes. Anyway, its true that they can't be death no matter what form they got, as long as their protection girls not death in the first place. The way their weapon got an upgrade pretty much come from their will and madness (good shit).

What else? Ah, yeah, Momoe had the same last name with that teacher/adviser. Was that true they are related? Lets see next! Then, one last thing i need to note that, without her knowledge, Ai kept attracted more girls into her surrounding. Which means? Slowly she gained a lot of convidence (or maybe its that all) to finally get out from her misery. A shut-in like her, can surpass her fear to socialize. No bully, she is the center of attention right about now!

Yeah, finally its getting real clear, at least for now. Outstanding episode.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Feb 2, 2021 9:09 AM

Apr 2019
The cast in this series is SO fucking STRONG. Expecting great things from this series.

Feb 2, 2021 9:09 AM

Feb 2016
Really good episode. Finally we get to meet momoe. The last scene with everyone laughing together was really heartwarming. It gives me magical girl vibes where the gang is finally reunited and ready to go on adventures together. This anime is really starting to grow on me now. I was confused at first but I’m so glad I stuck with. I love that the anime can be so misleading but also literally fits all its tags. I hope it stays like this throughout the whole season.
Feb 2, 2021 9:10 AM

Apr 2012
@eastsip It reminds me of Strike Witches, which was so afraid of male characters that the show literally twice used different excuses to deny them access to the show. Twice, LMAO. In moments like this, I always remember the words of the Fudanshi's lead, when he said "I avoid all-male BL because I want to see the characters fall in love with each other not because the opposite sex is not around!" However, it makes it pretty funny when Western audiences don't understand (or pretend) the reasons for the lack of male characters in such shows and call it very feminist for that, lol.

Joking aside, I hope this anime doesn't end with any kind of pandering, at least at the time of this episode's release, it didn't show much interest in fanservice.
Feb 2, 2021 9:16 AM
Aug 2020
RobertBobert said:
@eastsip It reminds me of Strike Witches, which was so afraid of male characters that the show literally twice used different excuses to deny them access to the show. Twice, LMAO. In moments like this, I always remember the words of the Fudanshi's lead, when he said "I avoid all-male BL because I want to see the characters fall in love with each other not because the opposite sex is not around!" However, it makes it pretty funny when Western audiences don't understand (or pretend) the reasons for the lack of male characters in such shows and call it very feminist for that, lol.

Joking aside, I hope this anime doesn't end with any kind of pandering, at least at the time of this episode's release, it didn't show much interest in fanservice.

You want fanservice in this show? 🤣 Not happening! This isn't otaku pandering trash like all the generic isekai shows that we get every season.
Feb 2, 2021 9:17 AM
Jan 2021
No one should be assuming Momoe's sexual orientation or gender identity when it hasn't been specified yet. The only thing we know about her is that she uses she/her pronouns and prefers to be referred to as a girl. That being said it is clear that her character will be used to explore LGBT+ themes and their connections to suicide (obviously), however we shouldn't assume that she's a lesbian because OTHER girls like her. Nor should we assume that she's trans because she "has broad shoulders". Also does anyone know why Ai was surprised that her name is Sawaki?
Feb 2, 2021 9:17 AM

Apr 2012
@MoonDragon72 Shogi loli makes sense, but the rest? Eromanga Sensei is just a fetish for younger girls, Monogatari is an intentional collection of fetishes, and Sunohara is just a straight shouta fantasy of getting hot older girls taking care of you. I don't think a show where "you" yourself is a fake boy can in any way promote pedophilia.

jasminekes said:
Really good episode. Finally we get to meet momoe. The last scene with everyone laughing together was really heartwarming. It gives me magical girl vibes where the gang is finally reunited and ready to go on adventures together. This anime is really starting to grow on me now. I was confused at first but I’m so glad I stuck with. I love that the anime can be so misleading but also literally fits all its tags. I hope it stays like this throughout the whole season.

It's pretty ironic, but in fact the show has already changed tags here. It used to be labeled SoL.

@badabass The official description talks about several girls, so it confuses me a little. Does she want to save her "harem"? Did literally a few girls commit suicide because of her?
Feb 2, 2021 9:18 AM

Jan 2015
The moment I realized Momoe and Sensei had the same surname my jaw was wide open lmaoooo

Absolutely fantastic episode once again

deg said:
RobertBobert said:
@deg You said it yourself, stereotypical. Again, where does sexuality have to do with it?

well isnt she in love with a girl? so she is a lesbian? or am i missing something here

Huh? What do gender identity and the fact that girls are attracted to her imply that Momoe is a lesbian? It was never stated. She might be, but we still know nothing about her.
Never heard about unrequited love?
XenocrisiFeb 2, 2021 9:34 AM
Feb 2, 2021 9:21 AM

Apr 2012
br-anna said:
No one should be assuming Momoe's sexual orientation or gender identity when it hasn't been specified yet. The only thing we know about her is that she uses she/her pronouns and prefers to be referred to as a girl. That being said it is clear that her character will be used to explore LGBT+ themes and their connections to suicide (obviously), however we shouldn't assume that she's a lesbian because OTHER girls like her. Nor should we assume that she's trans because she "has broad shoulders".

Huh, are you a lesbian if another girl is in love with you? How can you deny the shipping rules? It is also obvious that any friendship is queer coding.

MoonDragon72 said:
RobertBobert said:

You want fanservice in this show? 🤣 Not happening! This isn't otaku pandering trash like all the generic isekai shows that we get every season.

There is so much elitism in this commentary that I won't even say how ironic it is to love Satoshi Kon and Kyoani at the same time.
Feb 2, 2021 9:27 AM
Aug 2020
RobertBobert said:
br-anna said:
No one should be assuming Momoe's sexual orientation or gender identity when it hasn't been specified yet. The only thing we know about her is that she uses she/her pronouns and prefers to be referred to as a girl. That being said it is clear that her character will be used to explore LGBT+ themes and their connections to suicide (obviously), however we shouldn't assume that she's a lesbian because OTHER girls like her. Nor should we assume that she's trans because she "has broad shoulders".

Huh, are you a lesbian if another girl is in love with you? How can you deny the shipping rules? It is also obvious that any friendship is queer coding.

MoonDragon72 said:

There is so much elitism in this commentary that I won't even say how ironic it is to love Satoshi Kon and Kyoani at the same time.

Wtf is wrong with KyoAni?
Feb 2, 2021 9:32 AM
Dec 2019
I love this show, it's fantastic.

I like Momoe a lot, she is so cute and beautiful, such a nice girl. That bit of her backstory that we saw was great, apparently there was a girl that was attracted to her but died.

Neiru is so awesome, i love her, she is the president of a company, so awesome seeing her out of the hospital finally.

Rika kawai is back, they are inmortal in that world after all.

The music was once again great this episode, the animation was awesome too. Another 5/5 episode.
Feb 2, 2021 9:33 AM

Apr 2012
MoonDragon72 said:
RobertBobert said:

Wtf is wrong with KyoAni?

Haven't you figured out yet that principled anti-moe Kon does not go well with a studio that idealized moe more than any other studio?
Feb 2, 2021 9:38 AM

Jul 2019
Despite the very weird comment saying that suicide from boys are more "goal" oriented and girls more "emotional", it was again a pretty good episode. Animation and art are good as always, as was the direction. Incredible how this series can be terrifying, fun, emotional and cool as hell all at the same time and make it work. Momoe is a pretty interesting character, somewhat rare to see an anime explore LGBT without that being the entire premise (yuri/yaoi). There is a lot more to learn about her, and to be honest, every other girl in the series has a lot more to learn, the girl we probably know more is rika, as there is mostly likely a lot more we dont know about Ai´s whole problem. Now that the girls are reunited, im not sure where to go next exacly, so its now that the writing will have to show if its truly as good as its been, or if it will fall like most originals nowadays.
Feb 2, 2021 9:38 AM
Jul 2018
Glordit said:
2077 said:

just gonna leave this here

Honestly, at this stage it's a guessing game until there is actual confirmation.

its pretty implied. i'll show you my reasoning and leave it up to your judgement. although, we'll most likely find out about this stuff next week anyway. regardless, i have 3 examples (including the one i posted before) theres also the scene where she looks in the glass and starts crying, and where when she talks to ai and asks how she looks, she changes the pronoun for herself from "boku" to "watashi". but idk ur free to think whatever u want, in the end its still speculation; im just presenting some reasoning and logic behind my thoughts.
Feb 2, 2021 9:42 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
RobertBobert said:

@badabass The official description talks about several girls, so it confuses me a little. Does she want to save her "harem"? Did literally a few girls commit suicide because of her?

Well, well, you've got it all wrong, my friend. But, its okay. i don't want to extend that thing either after this statement. Because i feel like, i actually don't have many more energy to answer it more. I am sorry, and please let it be like that xD.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Feb 2, 2021 9:43 AM
Jul 2018
VP2003boi said:
Despite the very weird comment saying that suicide from boys are more "goal" oriented and girls more "emotional", it was again a pretty good episode.

yeah, thats the one thing i've noticed and dont really like about shinji nojima's works... a lot of the stuff that he writes has dumb stereotypical-type stuff. which is quite strange since he writes a lot of stories that are based around unconventional topics.
Feb 2, 2021 9:44 AM

Mar 2020
RobertBobert said:

There are massive amounts of shows that portray pedophilic relationships as wholesome and cute, or at least morally neutral, even without taking into account the shows that seek to (or say they want to) explore the themes of this kind of relationship seriously and maturely, like Kotonoha no Niwa.

Blend S gives us a relationship between a 26 year old man and a 16 year old girl, for example; Megami-ryou no Ryoubo-kun and Sunohara-sou both show older women acting sexually towards a young boy as funny and cute; Denki-gai no Honya-san hints at a "cute" relationship between an adult man and a child; Kamisama ni Natta Hi leaves an open ending that suggests a relationship developing between a 12-year-old and an 18-year-old. And those are just the mainstream ones I can list off the top of my head. Don't even get me started on how 90% of anime sexualizes and eroticizes underaged girls, in many cases not even in highschool.
Feb 2, 2021 9:44 AM

Apr 2012
2077 said:
Glordit said:

Honestly, at this stage it's a guessing game until there is actual confirmation.

its pretty implied. i'll show you my reasoning and leave it up to your judgement. although, we'll most likely find out about this stuff next week anyway. regardless, i have 3 examples (including the one i posted before) theres also the scene where she looks in the glass and starts crying, and where when she talks to ai and asks how she looks, she changes the pronoun for herself from "boku" to "watashi". but idk ur free to think whatever u want, in the end its still speculation; im just presenting some reasoning and logic behind my thoughts.

This may make sense, but only because we do not have the material to refute or confirm it. That is why I was glad that we had at least minimal material.

The critical point is why she is androgynous. Maybe her parents make her look like that for some reason? Maybe her femininity has caused some kind of trauma and therefore she is painfully trying to deny it? Maybe she is REALLY trans. At the moment, we were only shown the way, but we just left the house. Maybe this is generally a typical story about a boyish girl trying to become a princess and other shit like that, you can endlessly remember all the cliches with gender-uncomfortable characters.

Squilon said:
RobertBobert said:

There are massive amounts of shows that portray pedophilic relationships as wholesome and cute, or at least morally neutral, even without taking into account the shows that seek to (or say they want to) explore the themes of this kind of relationship seriously and maturely, like Kotonoha no Niwa.

Blend S gives us a relationship between a 26 year old man and a 16 year old girl, for example; Megami-ryou no Ryoubo-kun and Sunohara-sou both show older women acting sexually towards a young boy as funny and cute; Denki-gai no Honya-san hints at a "cute" relationship between an adult man and a child; Kamisama ni Natta Hi leaves an open ending that suggests a relationship developing between a 12-year-old and an 18-year-old. And those are just the mainstream ones I can list off the top of my head. Don't even get me started on how 90% of anime sexualizes and eroticizes underaged girls, in many cases not even in highschool.

Are you aware that ship tease between characters with an age gap is not yet pedophilia promotion per se? Not to mention, you very much carry over the Western point of view about the age difference and how it should be handled to the Japanese reality. Not to mention the fact that in your understanding, any age gap = pedophilia, regardless of whether it is a silly fetish or a serious self-aware romance.

Mod edit: Merged consecutive posts; please use the edit button.
TenshoFeb 21, 2021 3:19 AM
Feb 2, 2021 9:56 AM

Mar 2016
This was perhaps the weakest episode so far. The introduction of Momoe and her personal drive felt very off and out of place (wtf with the introduction of sexual harassment in such a tone-deaf manner). The dialogue felt more bloated in this episode and the sequences of scenes, especially during the fighting segments, felt very disorientating and all over the place. The second half of the episode was alright, at least, but still jarring in places. Wonder if Momoe knows anything about Koito, considering that she's apparently related to the teacher that the latter was previously associated with when she was still alive.
Feb 2, 2021 9:57 AM

Mar 2019
Ahh the sakuga and the direction, i love it. Also we got the new girl, who seems to be the creepy teacher's little sis, let's see how this goes. Amazing cast for now. This is my AOTS for sure.
Feb 2, 2021 9:59 AM

Jan 2016
deg said:
nice so the immortality plot is not forgotten lol i thought Rika will be petrified until the enemy is defeated by Ai but i guess not since ye they are immortal like episode 1 shows

Momo is a lesbian but not a tomboy i guess

i wonder what Ai remembers by the name Sawaki though in the end

and the action sakuga is awesome again

I believe Ai is surprised by the name Sawaki because that is the name of her and Koito's teacher back at school. It's possible they're related.
Feb 2, 2021 10:00 AM

Oct 2018
The greatest mystery so far: How isn't this show's score 9.00?
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
Feb 2, 2021 10:10 AM

Jan 2010
RobertBobert said:
Kosmonaut said:
What do you mean? Doubting the truth, SJW? As a Man™, I don't have e m o t i o n s, I have Goals. And I sure as hell would never be deceived by my negative feelings (I don't have any, because I'm a Man™) to kill myself and regret it afterwards... like a girl.

Well, if we develop this theme, then we can come to the conclusion that Momo's subplot is homophobic, since it implies that girls fall in love with others because of their masculine androgyny, and to love someone of the same gender sincerely is a "big deal" due to "deliberately exceeding gender barriers". lol.

Yeah I'm curious how they are gonna handle Momoe's character. I initially thought she was 100% lesbian, maybe trans? But that conversation at the end about adam's apples had me confused. Right now I have mixed feelings about it. It would be subverting expectations if Momoe was 100% straight lol. Hopefully it doesn't fall down a pitfall of turning out to just be homophobic/transphophic
giveup-the-ghostFeb 2, 2021 10:13 AM
Feb 2, 2021 10:15 AM

Mar 2018
The opening scene is probably my favorite scene of this anime so far. No music, no wild cuts, no big symbolistic imagery, just a girl talking about her backstory. How the girl told the story of how she got molested, and then get told "you should have put up with it" because her father is now fired because of her is soul crushing. The topic of sexual assault through power dynamics has been explored plenty of times, but I have never seen something work this effectively. This only becomes more hard-hitting when you consider that Japan is one of the worst countries of this kind of misogynistic assault. It is deeply imbredded into their culture and it is often glorified, especially in the anime medium.

The moment when the greatness of the scene hit me is when I realised that because this girl was part of the egg process, that probably meant that after she got berated by her mother, she probably killed herself because of the guilt. That fucked me up for a good few minutes.

The rest of the episode is alright, not really up to the quality of what became before, thus the whole episode is probably the weakest so far, but I already have found my favorite scene of the entire show so far and it will be hard to top that.
Feb 2, 2021 10:15 AM

Jan 2011
tomboy the best

well I would like to see them all in one dream, I guess this will be the final arc
Feb 2, 2021 10:17 AM

Sep 2018
Was I the only one that found Neiro being a president of a company kind of offputting?
I hope they clarify that part more in the future episodes.

For now in terms of what we have this show is a 10/10 and I would hate to see it be less than that cause of some dragged out cliches
Feb 2, 2021 10:19 AM
Apr 2020
Chickengirl said:
RobertBobert said:

Well, if we develop this theme, then we can come to the conclusion that Momo's subplot is homophobic, since it implies that girls fall in love with others because of their masculine androgyny, and to love someone of the same gender sincerely is a "big deal" due to "deliberately exceeding gender barriers". lol.

Yeah I'm curious how they are gonna handle Momoe's character. I initially thought she was 100% lesbian, maybe trans? But that conversation at the end about adam's apples had me confused. Right now I have mixed feelings about it. It would be subverting expectations if Momoe was 100% straight lol. Hopefully it doesn't fall down a pitfall of turning out to just be homophobic/transphophic

I hope she's not straight as "OMG tUmBlr SJW" as it sounds. There's rarely LGBT representation in anime, if there is, it's usually done poorly. I'd hate another queer character dangled in my face just for them to be another straight character.
Feb 2, 2021 10:21 AM

Apr 2012
Chickengirl said:
RobertBobert said:

For now, I just don't want this to turn into another tomboy = gay or "I fell in love with an androgynous girl and became a lesbian." However, I had a random thought that yuri themes are here only to emphasize the theme of her androgyny.

EastKidd said:
Chickengirl said:

I hope she's not straight as "OMG tUmBlr SJW" as it sounds. There's rarely LGBT representation in anime, if there is, it's usually done poorly. I'd hate another queer character dangled in my face just for them to be another straight character.

You talk as if all the characters that do not correspond to the stereotypes are queer from the beginning, just then homophobic authors make them straight. Personally, I have always thought it hypocritical that people always shout that yuri is a lot when they need to prove that "yuri is a big deal", but when they need to "make" a character gay, they immediately say that yuri is very small.
RobertBobertFeb 2, 2021 10:25 AM
Feb 2, 2021 10:25 AM
Jul 2020
Is momo a boy or girl? I have didn't seen the full episode yet
Feb 2, 2021 10:27 AM

Apr 2012
Aditya_SAMA said:
Is momo a boy or girl? I have didn't seen the full episode yet

Boyish girl, of course.
Feb 2, 2021 10:30 AM

Dec 2014
It's really hard to keep myself from writing meany things about this title, after spending ~20 minutes to watch this shit, when you could, idk, jack off? You thought it's going to be a nice show after 1st episode, something like Madoka or Black Rock Shooter, but than it's getting worse and worse. Ffs these lgbt themes again... The only good thing about this show is animation.
Feb 2, 2021 10:35 AM

Jan 2015
Gigas001 said:
Ffs these lgbt themes again... The only good thing about this show is animation.

Feel free to list all the anime that deal with LGBTQ+ thematics :)
Feb 2, 2021 10:40 AM

Mar 2020
RobertBobert said:
Squilon said:

Are you aware that ship tease between characters with an age gap is not yet pedophilia promotion per se? Not to mention, you very much carry over the Western point of view about the age difference and how it should be handled to the Japanese reality. Not to mention the fact that in your understanding, any age gap = pedophilia, regardless of whether it is a silly fetish or a serious self-aware romance.

"Ship tease between characters with an age gap" IS pedophilia promotion if it's portrayed as cute or wholesome. That's literally the point. You're showing a pedophilic relationship (and, contrary to what you imply as "my understanding", all of the examples I gave ARE pedophilic relationships between adults and children).

And yeah, I am carrying over the western point of view and applying it to anime. Pedophilia is wrong wherever you are, no matter what the common local practice or law is. Unless you're willing to say that you don't think pedophilia is inherently bad, which wouldn't surprise me from this community.

As for your last point: firstly, calling literal pedophilia a "silly fetish" is not a very good take; pedophilia is not silly in any way, it is a very serious matter and should be dealt with accordingly. And secondly, I categorically deny that any pedophilic relationship can be "self aware" in any way. The very nature and inherent immorality of pedophilia is that one of the participants isn't aware, can't comprehend the consequences of their actions, can't consent, and is abused accordingly.

I don't mean to attack you personally, it's not my intention, this is meant as a good-natured warning: the arguments you're using sound very much like what a defender of pedophilia would say. I'm not saying that's what you are, merely that it's how it could be percieved.
Feb 2, 2021 10:43 AM

Feb 2020
yayaya all the girls have met each other ((:

their friendship is so cute please i love them sm
Feb 2, 2021 10:43 AM
Jun 2020
Momoe is so interesting. Loved this ep!!
Feb 2, 2021 10:45 AM

Apr 2012
Squilon said:
RobertBobert said:

"Ship tease between characters with an age gap" IS pedophilia promotion if it's portrayed as cute or wholesome. That's literally the point. You're showing a pedophilic relationship (and, contrary to what you imply as "my understanding", all of the examples I gave ARE pedophilic relationships between adults and children).

And yeah, I am carrying over the western point of view and applying it to anime. Pedophilia is wrong wherever you are, no matter what the common local practice or law is. Unless you're willing to say that you don't think pedophilia is inherently bad, which wouldn't surprise me from this community.

As for your last point: firstly, calling literal pedophilia a "silly fetish" is not a very good take; pedophilia is not silly in any way, it is a very serious matter and should be dealt with accordingly. And secondly, I categorically deny that any pedophilic relationship can be "self aware" in any way. The very nature and inherent immorality of pedophilia is that one of the participants isn't aware, can't comprehend the consequences of their actions, can't consent, and is abused accordingly.

I don't mean to attack you personally, it's not my intention, this is meant as a good-natured warning: the arguments you're using sound very much like what a defender of pedophilia would say. I'm not saying that's what you are, merely that it's how it could be percieved.

That is, you literally admit that you are culturally insensitive by saying that the Western view of the problem = the universal view of the problem and further requires the Japanese to conform? Okay. I'm not even surprised that my disagreement with your view was immediately interpreted as a defense of pedophilia.

Your approach reminds me of modern concepts of power dynamics, where even if the relationship was completely mutual and consent, a woman can always accuse a man of abuse if he had more power than she did.
Feb 2, 2021 10:54 AM

Mar 2020
RobertBobert said:
Squilon said:

That is, you literally admit that you are culturally insensitive by saying that the Western view of the problem = the universal view of the problem and further requires the Japanese to conform? Okay. I'm not even surprised that my disagreement with your view was immediately interpreted as a defense of pedophilia.

Your approach reminds me of modern concepts of power dynamics, where even if the relationship was completely mutual and consent, a woman can always accuse a man of abuse if he had more power than she did.

Dude... you're literally just defending pedophilia now. That's all you're doing. Even disregarding the fact that the original point (which you seem to have conveniently forgotten) is that anime often shows pedophilia as a neutral or good thing. Even if you think that this is ok because of cultural differences (which is bullshit, you sound like the type of person that would defend the execution of adulterers in Arabic countries and forced child marriages because of """local customs"""), you can't deny that anime often clearly displays this view.

Massive bruh moment over here. Really reinforcing my positive views of the anime-watching community.
Feb 2, 2021 11:03 AM

Apr 2012
Squilon said:
RobertBobert said:

Dude... you're literally just defending pedophilia now. That's all you're doing. Even disregarding the fact that the original point (which you seem to have conveniently forgotten) is that anime often shows pedophilia as a neutral or good thing. Even if you think that this is ok because of cultural differences (which is bullshit, you sound like the type of person that would defend the execution of adulterers in Arabic countries and forced child marriages because of """local customs"""), you can't deny that anime often clearly displays this view.

Massive bruh moment over here. Really reinforcing my positive views of the anime-watching community.

To begin with, stop dialogue as if you are a prophet who enlightens stupid people. Second, your lectures on pedophilia are at least so bad that you don't even distinguish between pedophilia (attraction to pre-pubertal children) and ephebophilia (attraction to teenagers).

Second, as much as you would like to continue to use the appeal to morality and assertions about some kind of universal morality, not all peoples and cultures share the American view of the age gap. Especially in your version, where Sailor Moon or CCS also becomes pedophile.

And thirdly, if you continue the dialogue in such an arrogant tone, portraying the police of morality, then I will simply stop any discussion.
Feb 2, 2021 11:13 AM

Mar 2020
RobertBobert said:
Squilon said:

To begin with, stop dialogue as if you are a prophet who enlightens stupid people. Second, your lectures on pedophilia are at least so bad that you don't even distinguish between pedophilia (attraction to pre-pubertal children) and ephebophilia (attraction to teenagers).

Second, as much as you would like to continue to use the appeal to morality and assertions about some kind of universal morality, not all peoples and cultures share the American view of the age gap. Especially in your version, where Sailor Moon or CCS also becomes pedophile.

And thirdly, if you continue the dialogue in such an arrogant tone, portraying the police of morality, then I will simply stop any discussion.

You're right about pedophilia and ephebophilia being different disorders; I was using pedophilia as it is the popular term used for adults who are attracted to non-adults.

Secondly, let me correct you: I'm not from the United States, or even from a first world country. I'm not going to say where I'm from for obvious reasons, but I wanted to clear that up for you.

Third and last, I don't accommodate alternate views on serious subjects such as pedophilia (and ephebophilia if that's what you prefer), pederasty, and rape. I don't really care if you think it's "culturally insensitive" or not, I say things like they are. I just hope you're not using culture as an excuse to hide something yourself. That's for you to know. And I agree, this discussion isn't looking to be very constructive for either of us.

Have a nice, non-pedophiliac day.
Feb 2, 2021 11:19 AM

Jul 2010
This was perhaps the weakest episode so far. The introduction of Momoe and her personal drive felt very off and out of place (wtf with the introduction of sexual harassment in such a tone-deaf manner).

How exactly was the portrayal of sexual harassment tone deaf? To me, an issue like that being portrayed in a tone deaf manner would be if they tried to portray it as being a good thing or playing it for comedy. The girl simply mentioning she had been molested and being told it wasn't her fault at all is actually the best way to portray sexual harassment. The issue was obviously painted as horrible, as it should be, and the creep is called out for his awful actions.

Also, in regards to the mannequins talking about the whole "Women are emotion-oriented, men are goal-oriented," I don't think we as the audience are supposed to take it at face value. The show makes it pretty clear that they're rather shady, and we don't know what their deal is, so I'd suggest taking everything they say, that included, with a grain of salt.
Feb 2, 2021 11:22 AM

Feb 2019
EastKidd said:
Look, I have a couple of theories of where the story might be going, but I don't think discussing them at length now would be wise, mostly because it's still the 4th episode and this character was just introduced, but I guess we can proceed for now.

I didn't say girls only like her because she looks like a boy. It seems to be because she's notably handsome, although the girl from the beginning of the episode seemed to be looking for masculine traits in her: unpromptedly addind the -taro, traditionally masculine name, to the end of the 'Momo' name Sawaki started to give her and specifically commenting on her broad shoulders, which Momoe disagrees with, but I digress. I wanted to say she could think girls want that 'masculine' side of her, not the girlish one. The other egg that comments on '[her gender expression] not mattering' doesn't defeat the point, it serves it: Momoe had already apologized for 'fooling/deceiving' her and asks if she doesn't also think that being masculine suits her more [than being feminine], because she thinks girls like her for looking like a boy and those same girls would feel 'fooled' when they find out she's a girl.

Why she feels like it'd be 'deceiving' we can only speculate for now, we only have an episode to go on, but the text does make it clear she is struggling with gender and gender roles, and how both fit into her idea of herself. Of course, most of what I said is one of my interpretations of it all so far, also based on her reassuring who she wants to save that there are other girls like her ''friend''. Juxtaposing this scene to the 'it doesn't matter' one is supposed to tie them together.
Feb 2, 2021 11:23 AM
Dec 2020
this episode was very interesting.

moments before being blown up

FernandinrFeb 2, 2021 11:29 AM
Feb 2, 2021 11:29 AM

Apr 2012
Kosmonaut said:
EastKidd said:
Look, I have a couple of theories of where the story might be going, but I don't think discussing them at length now would be wise, mostly because it's still the 4th episode and this character was just introduced, but I guess we can proceed for now.

I didn't say girls only like her because she looks like a boy. It seems to be because she's notably handsome, although the girl from the beginning of the episode seemed to be looking for masculine traits in her: unpromptedly addind the -taro, traditionally masculine name, to the end of the 'Momo' name Sawaki started to give her and specifically commenting on her broad shoulders, which Momoe disagrees with, but I digress. I wanted to say she could think girls want that 'masculine' side of her, not the girlish one. The other egg that comments on '[her gender expression] not mattering' doesn't defeat the point, it serves it: Momoe had already apologized for 'fooling/deceiving' her and asks if she doesn't also think that being masculine suits her more [than being feminine], because she thinks girls like her for looking like a boy and those same girls would feel 'fooled' when they find out she's a girl.

Why she feels like it'd be 'deceiving' we can only speculate for now, we only have an episode to go on, but the text does make it clear she is struggling with gender and gender roles, and how both fit into her idea of herself. Of course, most of what I said is one of my interpretations of it all so far, also based on her reassuring who she wants to save that there are other girls like her ''friend''. Juxtaposing this scene to the 'it doesn't matter' one is supposed to tie them together.

By the way, did it seem to me or was she repeatedly called a model in the episode? Could the conflict be that her parents were somehow trying to promote her as a handsome celebrity and because of this she felt an inferiority complex, as her female fans fell in love with this artificial image? However, it may be the other way around, she experiences an inferiority complex because she wants to be a man, but the realization that she is a biological girl makes her feel like a liar.
Feb 2, 2021 11:45 AM

Apr 2020
Falling in love with this SHow, at this point.

Every Episode's a Banger, so far.
Glad that Ai finally got some friends. Hoping for a 4-Girl-Mission next Episode.

Momoe is probably my least favorite girl of the four, even tho her premise is as interesting as the other ones. Maybe I just can't relate to her problems that much, compared to the others.

Kinda guessing the Show will eventually turn darker again, can't imagin it continuing into a happy Ending for each and every character somehow.
Feb 2, 2021 11:52 AM

Aug 2016
I feel like it's a bit weird, that people are putting that much importance of the two strawmen. As long as the show isn't finished, we can only guess if this is the honest opinion of the author, or if he just wants us to think that way and lead the girls into a certain direction. If, in the end, it turns out to be the author's opinion, then it's still fine to be annoyed about it, but right now with two thirds of the show left, I still expect some massive changes to the plot. We are only finished with introducing the main characters so far.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ashhk - Mar 30, 2021

419 by redpanda_42 »»
Sep 8, 10:30 PM

» What is this anime all about?

Shy - Aug 1

19 by Jxyf0ry0u »»
Aug 14, 2:29 PM

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Mar 9, 2021

171 by Orogoth »»
Jul 23, 4:28 AM

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 23, 2021

196 by nicky_toutou »»
Jul 9, 7:40 AM

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

LittleLucky - Mar 2, 2021

213 by TheEclecticNomad »»
Jul 3, 8:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.