Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 9, 2019 6:38 AM

Sep 2010
Sigh... everything was great and all but in the end, the entire anime ended up being a flashback. Flashback that was brutally ended as well, although the final episode was definitely satisfying and a good place to end... but until enough seasons come out for the entire anime to reach conclusion, I can't see myself rating it above 8.

Overall, while it's definitely great Chinese "anime" and production quality stands out a lot, considering how most of the MAL reviews are 9s and 10s, this show is definitely overrated.

I guess it does have a freshness when shown to anime watchers but as someone who already lost count of how many Chinese novels I read, the story itself is nothing new. But it does have great "anime" adaptation while others don't so yea, I'm looking forward to the next season.
Feb 9, 2019 6:55 AM

Aug 2010
eso18 said:
Sigh... everything was great and all but in the end, the entire anime ended up being a flashback. Flashback that was brutally ended as well, although the final episode was definitely satisfying and a good place to end... but until enough seasons come out for the entire anime to reach conclusion, I can't see myself rating it above 8.

Overall, while it's definitely great Chinese "anime" and production quality stands out a lot, considering how most of the MAL reviews are 9s and 10s, this show is definitely overrated.

I guess it does have a freshness when shown to anime watchers but as someone who already lost count of how many Chinese novels I read, the story itself is nothing new. But it does have great "anime" adaptation while others don't so yea, I'm looking forward to the next season.

I'm not sure if you've read the novel but the novel actually goes back and forth from the present and the past instead of focusing on the past like the donghua (this season anyways). Since you're a Chinese novel reader, I HIGHLY recommend that you check out the novel as the plot progresses the way it should and plot twists and spoilers and whatever are revealed at the correct timing.

While the donghua is good, they did change a few things and skipped a lot of details from the novel. So yeah, I'd suggest you to read the novel if you want to enjoy Mo Dao to the max. ^^
Feb 13, 2019 9:14 AM
Aug 2018
Can't wait for season 2. Wei Wuxian confirmed my fav over all, but i loved Lan Zhan and Jian Cheng too. Wei becomes too hot and badass, more than before. It was pretty clear after being in Yiling burt damn. he has changed quite a lot. I need to read the manwha and the novel too.
Feb 13, 2019 6:19 PM

Aug 2010
IwaOiStan said:
Can't wait for season 2. Wei Wuxian confirmed my fav over all, but i loved Lan Zhan and Jian Cheng too. Wei becomes too hot and badass, more than before. It was pretty clear after being in Yiling burt damn. he has changed quite a lot. I need to read the manwha and the novel too.

Check out the audio drama too if you're able to, it's really good :)
Feb 22, 2019 7:35 PM

Jul 2011
wow, this anime is so goooood!
best Chinese anime ever

at ep 2 didn't understand the relation between the characters but later when they clear it, it blows me!

last 5 EPs were amazing, it's sad they skipped some events
anyway, I need season 2 now!!!
Feb 24, 2019 7:30 AM

Jun 2014
This was super Chinese. An interesting watch for sure, adjusting to the whole cultural difference aspect was a little bit of a challenge but it was worth it, it's very different from what you usually see in an anime, adjusting to the voice acting was probably the most intriguing aspect.

Half way through the show I almost gave up on it because it can be quite confusing with the plot and things feeling random overall, but then the total tone shift made this a fun ride. Absolutely stunning backgrounds and an overall very solid production art wise.

This is easily the best Chinese anime style production I've come across so far. 9/10
alpha_shadowDec 29, 2019 9:27 AM
:3
Mar 6, 2019 7:07 AM

Apr 2009
People actually hated this and disliked it?? no taste.
Mar 10, 2019 3:51 AM
Oct 2011
This show is awesome. The only reason I can't give it a 10 is because I think they messed up making past and present Wei Wuxian identical. That's way too confusing.

Anyhoo, can't wait for season 2.
Mar 14, 2019 7:08 PM
Nov 2018
Tsubakiaka said:
sad that they took out the lovey scenes from the novel this season :( wasn't too hopeful in general tho lol. also damn! wei ying!!! looking good!! that dramatic ass reveal and long hair, i can't get enough. I don't know how im gonna wait for 2019 im praying that it will be winter/spring 2019 (probably)

so excited for the next season!! its gonna be so good i encourage everyone to read the novel, Exiledrebel scantalations does an amazing job of translating so while you're waiting there are currently 72 chapters to read (binge read and lose sleep over) that have actual Lan Zhan and Wei Ying like moments that they cant show in the anime (drunk lan zhan anyone else???) it also helps a lot with understanding everything better and the anime helps you visualize the novel better so it works both ways.

Where can you read this?
Mar 14, 2019 8:17 PM

May 2018
fromfairydust said:
Tsubakiaka said:
sad that they took out the lovey scenes from the novel this season :( wasn't too hopeful in general tho lol. also damn! wei ying!!! looking good!! that dramatic ass reveal and long hair, i can't get enough. I don't know how im gonna wait for 2019 im praying that it will be winter/spring 2019 (probably)

so excited for the next season!! its gonna be so good i encourage everyone to read the novel, Exiledrebel scantalations does an amazing job of translating so while you're waiting there are currently 72 chapters to read (binge read and lose sleep over) that have actual Lan Zhan and Wei Ying like moments that they cant show in the anime (drunk lan zhan anyone else???) it also helps a lot with understanding everything better and the anime helps you visualize the novel better so it works both ways.

Where can you read this?

on exiled rebel scanlations !just look them up :) I just finished re-reading the released chapters for the third time today haha

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 愛してる *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Mar 14, 2019 11:08 PM
Jul 2014
What bothered me about this episode was the time skips. All of a sudden the war was basically won. It felt a little like sword art online. Except better cuz only episode 1 was great is sword art online and this show was great until like the last episode which I only think was okay.
FishBecomesOtakuMar 15, 2019 3:06 PM
Mar 16, 2019 9:43 AM

Aug 2008
FishBecomesOtaku said:
What bothered me about this episode was the time skips. All of a sudden the war was basically won. It felt a little like sword art online. Except better cuz only episode 1 was great is sword art online and this show was great until like the last episode which I only think was okay.

will be more regarding in second season :o from the pv clearly will show a more development battle
The spider is watching
Apr 15, 2019 3:38 PM

Nov 2009
Yeah, that wasn't too well done unfortunately. I didn't like this as much as I thought I would, too much potential lost.
Definitely need to check out the novel.
Apr 16, 2019 5:13 AM
Dec 2018
RealExtinction said:
Yeah, that wasn't too well done unfortunately. I didn't like this as much as I thought I would, too much potential lost.
Definitely need to check out the novel.

Season two is coming out in July.
Trailer
Apr 16, 2019 11:53 AM

Nov 2009
Gingike30 said:
Trailer

Yeah I know but I think the novels probably have better content so I rather check those out.XD
The anime has great visuals but the story content is so so. I assume it's maybe because they cut a lot of things out, maybe not, but yeah. I rather read the novel~
Apr 16, 2019 2:07 PM

Dec 2016
RealExtinction said:
Gingike30 said:
Trailer

Yeah I know but I think the novels probably have better content so I rather check those out.XD
The anime has great visuals but the story content is so so. I assume it's maybe because they cut a lot of things out, maybe not, but yeah. I rather read the novel~

True that! Most of the donghua follows the story but it's not correct with flashback scenes order, since they huddled a big portion of them together. Also Wei Wuxian past & current shouldn't look so much alike; it's not stated but Yunmengjiang top disciple wearing black? I think NOT! Now if you are going to follow the novel I'll give you a spoiler here for the other version of 'the battle' in ep15.
. Another spoiler, novel is better, but donghua does a good job. I'm surprised how much they went budget-vise seeing as it is (or maybe 'was' for donghua) a BL. + the donghua added some nice scenes to the plate
Apr 17, 2019 1:17 PM

Nov 2009
Mici_Angels said:
True that! Most of the donghua follows the story but it's not correct with flashback scenes order, since they huddled a big portion of them together. Also Wei Wuxian past & current shouldn't look so much alike; it's not stated but Yunmengjiang top disciple wearing black? I think NOT! Now if you are going to follow the novel I'll give you a spoiler here for the other version of 'the battle' in ep15.
. Another spoiler, novel is better, but donghua does a good job. I'm surprised how much they went budget-vise seeing as it is (or maybe 'was' for donghua) a BL. + the donghua added some nice scenes to the plate

Yeah, first and foremost I want my gay content please and thank you.XD Second of all, idk why Wei Wuxian present and past self look so alike it was extremely confusing. As soon as the first two eps finished and the third one started I was lost as to what was going on...only to later realize it was a flashback lol. So weird...
And I won't be reading your spoiler for the novel cause I do want to read it but thanks for the info!
And like I said, it's great they did beautiful visuals, but it took me a long time to realize whom is whom and by then I wasn't entirely engaged in the story which sucked.XD I also watched it dubbed in my own language because I couldn't keep up with subs in the Chinese version (because I am used to Japanese I know where the stops are and all that and I couldn't keep up with Chinese because I have never watched anything in Chinese subbed haha) and holy hell did they mess up names....it was awful....... So I rather just read at my own pace and understand things better, haha.
And I am guessing this series is HUUGE in China that's why they didn't cut on the budget...and instead simply cut on the BL to be able to show it on TV. lol Makes sense.
Apr 22, 2019 2:01 PM
Apr 2019
I couldn't stop watching this anime after episode one till I finished it. I mean all 15 episode one after another. I am speachless. it is really a master peace. I'm waiting for next season impatiently.
Apr 24, 2019 4:36 PM
Jul 2018
I ended up enjoying this way more than I expected. Beautiful anime, excited for season 2. Cinnamon rolls Wen Ning needs more love. Best boy.
Apr 30, 2019 5:46 PM

Dec 2016
RealExtinction said:
Mici_Angels said:

Yeah, first and foremost I want my gay content please and thank you.XD Second of all, idk why Wei Wuxian present and past self look so alike it was extremely confusing. As soon as the first two eps finished and the third one started I was lost as to what was going on...only to later realize it was a flashback lol. So weird...
And I won't be reading your spoiler for the novel cause I do want to read it but thanks for the info!
And like I said, it's great they did beautiful visuals, but it took me a long time to realize whom is whom and by then I wasn't entirely engaged in the story which sucked.XD I also watched it dubbed in my own language because I couldn't keep up with subs in the Chinese version (because I am used to Japanese I know where the stops are and all that and I couldn't keep up with Chinese because I have never watched anything in Chinese subbed haha) and holy hell did they mess up names....it was awful....... So I rather just read at my own pace and understand things better, haha.
And I am guessing this series is HUUGE in China that's why they didn't cut on the budget...and instead simply cut on the BL to be able to show it on TV. lol Makes sense.

If you want your gay content you are in for a slooooow burn. Like damn. I actually went to Ao3 after idk which chapter just for some smut XDXD (guess who got spoiled too>.>).
If it wasn't for Jiang Chen and Lan Zhan, I probably wouldn't have realised there was a flashback. I understand how good WWX looks in black but still....

It was my first time watching a Chinese donghua with MDZS. I actually dropped on my first watch because how fast and weird they talked, but after an episode or two it gets better. My tip for reading the novel, is that you try and write down the characters given name, courtesy name and titles. And there are siblings in every sect and that makes it kinda easier to navigate. Lan XiChen/Wangji, Nie Huaisang/Mingjue, Wen Ning/Qing, Jiang Cheng/Yanli...
It just makes me wonder how big is the BL fandom in China, I know there are three versions of the novel but I'm pretty sure they all had the romance. They allowed Spirit Pact kisses so maybe it won't b e cut fully?
May 5, 2019 1:39 AM

Jun 2011
^ WWX looks hot in black, red, and white mixed. xD

If it wasn't for the whole Wen torture arc I would've loved the series even more, this is what Japanese anime used to look like imo, before they were commercialized and become a money-making machine full of fanservice. Grand scale worldbuilding with fantastic characters cast, limited by pretty much nothing. The studio also knows how to make their series look real good. All the hair/ribbon fluttering in the air is real nice to watch.

Excited for season 2 and how WWX/LWJ relationship will progress with WWX now in a new body.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 9, 2019 5:31 AM

Apr 2015
Honestly, I was not expecting to like this so much!! Beautiul,beautiful scenery and aesthetics. I'm excited to see what we have in store for the next season. I hope that it will be set in the present and not be so fixated on the past. I wonder how true season two will stay to the novel--but either way, I think it will still be really enjoyable. Truly a gem!

Although we part as I leave for Inaba,
where pines grow on the moutain peaks
If I am to hear that you pine for me
I shall come back to you again
Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首):
Poem #16 "Tachiwakare"
©
May 22, 2019 11:29 PM

Aug 2016
The come back of Wei was so satisfying
~ Wen Zhuliu annoyed me quite a bit, now he‘ve done it
Jun 10, 2019 7:50 PM

Dec 2018
Tsubakiaka said:

do you know where i can read the novel in eng ver? thanksss
Jun 10, 2019 8:11 PM

May 2018
SawamuraJane said:
Tsubakiaka said:

exiled rebel scanlations, the entire main novel is published and 8 extra chapters are still being published (114 for main book)

Jun 10, 2019 8:34 PM

Dec 2018
Tsubakiaka said:
SawamuraJane said:

exiled rebel scanlations, the entire main novel is published and 8 extra chapters are still being published (114 for main book)

ah, so is the novel already finish??? i mean the eng translation
Jun 10, 2019 8:47 PM

May 2018
SawamuraJane said:
Tsubakiaka said:

ah, so is the novel already finish??? i mean the eng translation

the main novel yes

Jun 11, 2019 1:15 PM

Dec 2012
Can't believe this garbage got this overrated
Jun 11, 2019 10:51 PM

Aug 2008
Karote said:

why is garbage?
o.o
i know u secretly love it ...shh won't tell "wink"
dany_elle1908Jun 11, 2019 10:55 PM
The spider is watching
Jun 23, 2019 3:17 AM

May 2018
Brilliant shows. The last 5-6 episodes very captivating.
Jun 24, 2019 12:31 AM
Jun 2019
Mici_Angels said:
RealExtinction said:

dany_elle1908 said:
Karote said:

why is garbage?
o.o
i know u secretly love it ...shh won't tell "wink"

I know right 😏 it's the best ever *,* especially if one read the novel.. The novel is gold gold gooold aaah can't wait for S2
Jul 2, 2019 3:10 PM

Sep 2017
one of the best anime I have ever watched :D I am so looking forward to the next season. words fail me really. I simply love it <3
Jul 2, 2019 3:45 PM

Sep 2017
valkiriana said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh my, that was beautiful as always! <3 It's officially my favourite anime now! Can't wait to see the next season. Does anyone know when exactly in 2019 it's gonna be?!

August 1st according to MAL.
Aug 25, 2019 9:03 PM

Jul 2014
Didnt expect to like this as much as I did. Never had that great of an impression of Chinese anime, with Quanzhi Gaoshou being the best I've seen (which is not saying much). But its clear to me now that China has the capabilities of producing top tier animation just like Japan. Anyways, looking forward to season 2!
Aug 31, 2019 2:02 AM

Jun 2019
always as beautiful really enjoyed the anime
lot of unknown stories but It will be shown up s2 i guess :>

lettuce<3
Oct 21, 2019 7:07 AM

May 2018
Fantastic, the animation, character, and story were amazing. I was confused at the first 3 episodes but it was answered by the later episodes, and I need to rewatched ep1 to confirm it. Intresting characters and story, entertaining the whole time, and the character were also great. Easily one of the best donghua I have watched.
EsieEyenOct 21, 2019 7:43 AM

Feb 9, 2020 8:31 PM

Dec 2011
It felt like I was watching a drama the whole time. I binged this whole thing in 2 days and couldn’t help myself, how something could grip me strongly like this is a feeling I’m always yearning for. In both characters and worldbuilding, this is a story I could definitely watch for 50 or more episodes.

If only! The more slow burn the better, but as someone who has yet to read the novel, I appreciate how we weren’t left behind by the time skips. While some things were passed over, it didn’t feel rushed. Perhaps knowing everything was a long flashback in the grand timeline helped. Can’t wait to see what the future has in store; I’ll definitely be indulging in all the other adaptations/mediums.

Breathtaking atmosphere, painted backgrounds lovingly rendered, the many dudes with long hair - this donghua was crafted just for me :*)
Mar 13, 2020 8:44 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Didn't like the characters much but overall was good.

8/10
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Apr 7, 2020 12:58 PM

Apr 2016
I wanted to see the final battle where Wei uses his wamma-jamma to end the war.

Ah well.

Well done all around.

At least we found out what happened to one of the bunny rabbits.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2020 12:56 AM

May 2017
It wasn't the worst anime! Far from it, actually. But damn, did I find myself confused from time to time. I found it difficult to binge, just because there is so much info packed into each episode, but I also forgot a lot of plot each time I took some time away. I can't be sure if that's my fault as I was high for some of the show lol and the plot was just so heavy that I couldn't pay attention, or if the story really was so choppy??
I see that some people had a hard time distinguishing the characters from eachother, and I honestly agree. The long haired characters really threw me off, and everytime they introduced a new one, I struggled with their Chinese name and forgot almost immediately who was who. Of course, they all have different outfits (most of the main cast wears a different colour for their clan), but halfway through the goddam show they introduce some clans that I don't think we had even heard of before that.

Probably 7 or 8 out of ten. The visuals and music were AMAZING. Probably mainly due to the film-esque atmosphere that the widescreen gives us
Oct 8, 2020 12:47 AM

Jun 2017
I really enjoyed this!! 10/10 I can't wait to watch the next season and read the novel! :)
Nov 22, 2020 5:11 AM
Aug 2018
Only after watching episode 15, I now understand the timeline of the anime. Episodes 1-2 was the present. Episodes 3-15 was the past. Before the end of episode 15, I wasn't sure whether episodes 3-15 were the past or present. They made it confusing as hell by giving Wei Wuxian and Mo Xuanyu virtually the same appearance and little to no explanation that episodes 3-15 was the past. The anime's season 1 synopsis on MAL made it even more confusing. It suggested that the Sunshot Campaign was only background information and that the anime would only be covering the time after Wei Wuxian was reincarnated.
People with low average anime scores don't have high standards. They are just bad at choosing good anime to watch.
Nov 25, 2020 10:34 AM

Apr 2015
eWEQRW123123 said:
Only after watching episode 15, I now understand the timeline of the anime. Episodes 1-2 was the present. Episodes 3-15 was the past. Before the end of episode 15, I wasn't sure whether episodes 3-15 were the past or present. They made it confusing as hell by giving Wei Wuxian and Mo Xuanyu virtually the same appearance and little to no explanation that episodes 3-15 was the past. The anime's season 1 synopsis on MAL made it even more confusing. It suggested that the Sunshot Campaign was only background information and that the anime would only be covering the time after Wei Wuxian was reincarnated.

It literally says 20 years ago before starting the flashback, though?

WWX and MXY looking like clones was certainly not the smartest decision, especially when they share a color palette. At least have WWX wear Yunmeng purple or Gusu white while studying there.
Nov 25, 2020 4:14 PM
Aug 2018
Vsegda7 said:
eWEQRW123123 said:

When?​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
People with low average anime scores don't have high standards. They are just bad at choosing good anime to watch.
Nov 26, 2020 12:01 AM

Apr 2015
eWEQRW123123 said:
Vsegda7 said:

At 31:50 on Guodong Subs version. Official YT release is blocked in here.
Nov 26, 2020 12:25 AM
Aug 2018
Vsegda7 said:
eWEQRW123123 said:

At 31:50 on Guodong Subs version. Official YT release is blocked in here.

I see the problem now. I set a default style for my subtitles and that caused that "20 years ago" subtitle to be hidden. After disabling my custom subtitle style, I was able to see it.
Jul 28, 2021 8:04 AM
Jul 2021
Aaaaaa idk.. but.. i like this donghua ><
Sep 7, 2021 7:26 PM

Jan 2021
I love how this version of Wei wuxian’s transformation to Yiling Patriarch is much more dramatic. In this live action it was the same Wei Ying hit with another style of fighting, however, in the anime, you could see his whole person change, the color of his eyes, the serious in his tone, it was like the childish and carefree part of him as buried in the cayon.
Jan 8, 2022 4:48 AM
Jan 2022
eWEQRW123123 said:

Same. I was so confused and didn't realize it was a flashback until literally the end of this episode. The whole time I was so confused they kept calling him by his pre-reincarnation name and thought maybe I was missing something because of the courtesy names and maybe he was just called Yiling Patriarch + something else in his past life. Even looked at the flashback and present main character design to confirm yes, they were exactly the same. Felt like a moron when I finally realized.
Oct 26, 2022 3:41 PM

Dec 2016
Great series! Can't wait to watch the rest of the seasons :D I've enjoyed a lot!

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» I thought anime/manga from other countries was not allowed on MAL?

Kimiko-chan - Dec 14, 2020

5 by senekohan »»
Feb 19, 8:06 AM

» I'm telling you

egosumjohn - Dec 8, 2023

7 by Watch_Kuranado »»
Dec 11, 2023 1:35 PM

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi Episode 8 Discussion

valkiriana - Aug 23, 2018

31 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 13, 2023 8:30 PM

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi Episode 1 Discussion

Stardew - Aug 8, 2018

43 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 13, 2023 1:14 PM

» Places to watch eng subbed?

ManiacalNut - Aug 20, 2023

9 by Erxie »»
Aug 31, 2023 12:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.