Forum Settings
Forums

Folks born post August 2005, what do you think about Ghibli movies, and is there any director better than Hayao Miyazaki?

New
Feb 13, 2020 9:55 AM
May 2018
What is the opinion of our youngest member about some of the best anime movies, and highest ranking director on MAL?
Feb 13, 2020 9:56 AM

Feb 2010
I like Miyazaki, but Takahata has always been the more talented director, with a much larger range.
#facts
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 13, 2020 10:32 AM

May 2018
"is there any director better than Hayao Miyazaki?"

Well duuuh, Isao Takahata...you don't even know that?
Also there was this Satoshi Kon dude.
Feb 14, 2020 3:32 AM

Nov 2017
Miyazaki movies are quite accessible a lot more than that of Takahata and other critically acclaimed directors like Mamoru Oshii and Satoshi Kon so he will always overshadow them as for my opinion I definitely think they are better than Miyazaki but considering some of these directors specialize in different genres who you like the most comes down to your taste.
Feb 14, 2020 4:02 AM
Jul 2018
Inb4 someone says makoto shinkai is the best evahhh1111
Feb 14, 2020 4:35 AM
Jul 2018
Folks born post August 2005, what do you think about Ghibli movies, and is there any director better than Hayao Miyazaki?
... that's weirdly specific.
Feb 14, 2020 4:47 AM

Oct 2019
Oddly specific, but I'll answer as a 2006 folk.
I grew up with ghibli, as my sister forced them down my throat from a young age (she was a massive weeb).
And for a better director? Can't think of any frankly. Well, as others have said, Takahata is also an amazing director with more accessibility.
Feb 14, 2020 6:37 AM

Mar 2017
Someone born in August 2005 would be 14 years old. Are there very many users on this site at or below that age?

My opinion as a much older anime fan...

• Hayao Miyazaki is the best, no two ways about it.
  • Makoto Shinkai is second best. Some have called him "the next Miyazaki" but their styles are so different it's hard to compare them.

Some others that are close behind:

• Mamoru Hosoda
  • Satoshi Kon (RIP)
  • Isao Takahata (RIP)
  • Naoko Yamada has only one non-franchise film to her name thus far, but it's one of the best. Together with her franchise work, I'd call her the best woman director of anime films.
  • Masaaki Yuasa is kind of weird/artsy but it usually works well.
  • Hiromasa Yonebayashi
A møøse once bit my sister...
Feb 14, 2020 3:26 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
I wasn't born after 2005 but my favorite anime movie is the haruhi movie so myazaki is not my favorite.
Feb 15, 2020 4:07 AM

Sep 2018
Takahata > Miyazaki and thats a fact. Both are good, but Takahata is on another level.

Satoshi Kon is also one of the GOATS. Someone like Shinkai who gets put on a pedestal nowadays does not even come close to either of the 3, animation is neat and stuff but his storys are way to superficial.
-Mullerio-Feb 15, 2020 4:10 AM
Feb 15, 2020 4:26 AM

May 2016
...Why August 2005?

That's suspiciously specific.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Feb 15, 2020 5:29 AM

Dec 2019
I tried to show Ghibli movies to my little sister and nieces and nephew (all born between 2007 and 2010 so between 12 and 9 years old) annnnnnd they didn't like them.

The start was too slow so they got bored before the movies grabbed their attention.

This is a recurring problem when I try to show kids stuff I liked as a kid. It ALWAYS starts too slow and I have to tell them "just keep watching, it gets exciting/funny/scary!!" because they are used to movies and tv shows being full of action and colors and excitement from the very first minute.

It's too bad! Haven't found a way to get around this issue yet.
♥️
Feb 15, 2020 8:21 AM

Dec 2015
I might be more than twice this age but...
Euhhm... May I ... nominate Anno? (ready to catch tomatoes or stones)

Pylia said:
When it comes to both 'grandmasters' of Studio Ghibli, then I'll have to say Takahata > Miyazaki, though it is of insignificant importance considering the quality their work oozes in.

Idem.

@nahnahtoday Aren't Laputa or "Nausicaa" starting on a big action/chase/whatever scene actually?
Feb 16, 2020 6:02 AM

Jun 2017
As someone who born in August 1997 not "2005" I can answer what you want. I didn't like any Miyazaki movie as I was kid but now I like them, at least definitely more than when I was kid or teenager
Feb 16, 2020 7:57 AM

Feb 2019
Neither miyazaki nor shinkai is best director. Best director is obviously Naoko Yamada.
Feb 16, 2020 8:26 AM
Jul 2018
I recently showed a Ghibli film, 'Ponyo' directed by Hayao Miyazaki to my little friend who is 5 years old.. it was fascinating that he watched it for almost 30 minutes with a good level of interest, overall :) he was particularly wowed by the underwater scene with all sorts of marine animals, he kept asking what happened to those other little ponyo lookalikes, why that hairy dude was chasing after Ponyo and so on, I was kinda surprised by his involvement.. but as one would expect of such a little child, he got distracted by something else, and also during the scene where the elderly talk to Sosuke..

What anime is suitable for someone so young though.. I was wondering if I should show him something popular and generally excitable series like Dragon Ball Z or Pokemon or Pingu or something.. also thought of showing him Heidi, as I have seen it when I was 6 and completely fell in love with it.. but for some reason decided to go with Ponyo..

Feb 16, 2020 8:38 AM

Jul 2019
I have yet to see a Isao movie (but I got spoiled Grave of the Fireflies :( ) but what I really like in Miyazaki movies from teh 3 I've seen (Porco Rosso, Spirited Away, Nausicaa) is that certain feeling of immersion, magic and wonder that makes his movies great fun.
Feb 16, 2020 5:30 PM

Mar 2017
Of the films Isao Takahata directed, the best are on par with Miyazaki, especially "Grave of the Fireflies" and "The Tale of the Princess Kaguya". Others have been hit-or-miss. He directed "My Neighbors the Yamadas" which is my least favorite Studio Ghibli film.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Feb 16, 2020 6:04 PM

Aug 2017
There's no doubt that Hayao Miyazaki is considered the greatest director of all time. But, in my opinion, I think Satoshi Kon was superior. Miyazaki was great at instilling childlike wonder into you, like a Steven Spielberg. But, Satoshi could make you think deeper, hit more emotional notes and was more mature with his storytelling. I also like Shinichiro Watanabe more than Hayao Miyazaki, but I don't even want to get into that argument.

And no, I'm not post-2005, but I doubt half the comments on this thread are.
Feb 16, 2020 6:05 PM

Jun 2015
Well I was born in 2000 but I still think ghibli films are overrated
Read Toriko!
Feb 16, 2020 6:11 PM

Nov 2011
BiDiGiN said:
I have yet to see a Isao movie (but I got spoiled Grave of the Fireflies :( ) but what I really like in Miyazaki movies from teh 3 I've seen (Porco Rosso, Spirited Away, Nausicaa) is that certain feeling of immersion, magic and wonder that makes his movies great fun.

Everyone who watched Grave of the Fireflies got spoiled in the first minute. The movie starts with the death of MC.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Feb 16, 2020 7:06 PM

Jul 2019
Jim_Heart said:
BiDiGiN said:

Everyone who watched Grave of the Fireflies got spoiled in the first minute. The movie starts with the death of MC.

Ah i didn't even know. Thanks for clarifying that.
Feb 16, 2020 7:14 PM

Aug 2018
BiDiGiN said:

You haven't been spoiled... Lol the movie starts the way it ends. Sorry someone had to ruin the first 5 minutes of the film for you. Unless you mean something else as a spoiler...
Feb 16, 2020 8:32 PM

Dec 2016
any particular reason for that random cut-off date? Lol
Feb 16, 2020 10:58 PM

Jul 2007
I was born in 1990 and I hate Miyazaki/Ghibli. Overrated trash.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Feb 16, 2020 11:08 PM
Jul 2018
imagine. there are people born after 2005. who are old enough to use this site. what a horrific forethought
Feb 16, 2020 11:27 PM
Jul 2018
"Folks born post August 2005..."

I doubt there is anyone here MAL who is born after that time.

Well there is Shinichiro Watanabe, Akiyuki Shinbou, Hiroyuki Imaishi

Who am I forgetting, oh yeah..

Isao Takahata, Mamoru Hosoda, Makoto Shinkai, Satoshi Kon...

Clearly you haven't seen anything that is not Miyazaki

And oh BTW, my favorite Ghibli films are Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle and Grave of the Fireflies (not Miyazaki but still Ghibli)

More topics from this board

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 1 hour ago

7 by Piromysl »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 4 hours ago

13 by cyandaqil »»
4 minutes ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 6 minutes ago

0 by IpreferEcchi »»
6 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

56 by Pinoffin »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - 2 hours ago

13 by APolygons2 »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.