Forum Settings
Forums

What, in your opinion, are some of the "least anime" or anime-esque anime and what makes you say so?

New
Dec 8, 2019 8:38 AM

Jun 2019
What I mean is, which anime, at least either on the surface or taken as a whole if you've watched them to completion, have the potential to attract people who may not be into anime in general so much as the niche it exemplifies?

Which anime feel the least like other anime series and have the least in common with traits that have come to represent the overall anime medium? Either in writing and narrative construction, mood, atmosphere, tone, pacing, music, animation, the subject matter it revolves around, some combination of these factors, or something else?

And why? Do you think this series will still have an appeal to the general anime audience or is more likely to resonate with people from outside the anime community, and maybe in so doing even create new anime fans (although ones which may be quickly disillusioned if they feel their favorite series or type of series isn't at all representative or commonplace)?

EDIT - Okay guys, I'm going to edit and clarify because I feel as if people are misinterpreting the question a bit and perhaps my choice of phrasing was poor or too ambiguous.

I am not referring to anime that need to have mass appeal outside of the anime community. I'm asking about which anime in style/story/music/animation/tone/etc. has the least conventions and tropes in common with other anime, and is more likely to attract people to that specific show for being its own thing, but may not have widespread appeal?

It very much can be unpopular both within the anime community and outside of it.
WatchTillTandavaDec 8, 2019 9:42 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 8, 2019 8:40 AM
Aug 2015
My sister hates anime but still enjoyed: Madoka Magica, Demon Slayer, MHA and Clannad (there are a few more but those are the ones she likes the most so far)
Dec 8, 2019 8:42 AM
Nov 2019
Monster is probably the least "anime-esque" anime I've seen, at least so far.
Dec 8, 2019 8:46 AM

Apr 2019
I guarantee that even if you have never watched anime before Death Note will have you hooked from the very start.

Don't know why this is but everyone I've recommended the series to loved it and most of them either didn't care for anime or down right hated it.

Dec 8, 2019 8:53 AM

Jun 2016
Redline looks like an old american superhero comic or a pop art artwork, a look it replicates really well with every frame drawn flawlessly. Panty and stocking looks like an early 2000's western flash cartoon. When it comes to storytelling, fullmetal alchemist brotherhood is one of the few shows to not feature the japanese trope of poorly written endings.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Dec 8, 2019 8:57 AM
Jul 2018
I don't know if the 'least anime-esque' show will automatically have the potential to attract non-anime viewers. One Punch Man is one show which all of my friends enjoy, likely because superhero stuff is in these days, but OPM can't be said to be very different from other anime.
Dec 8, 2019 9:24 AM
Feb 2017
I guess Cowboy Bebop. The show doesn’t feel Japanese, which is due to the director taking inspiration from the west.
Dec 8, 2019 9:28 AM

May 2018
I. "have the potential to attract people who may not be into anime in general so much as the niche it exemplifies"
Here is your problem - people are different and have different reasons to avoid anime: have wrong impression about it (like what they saw on TV are mainly commercials for toys - Pokemon, Bakugan, Bayblade ect. or maybe saw some anime memes that confirmed to them bad anime stereotypes), have being forced to watch some anime by their friends, don't like animation as media in general, have other hobbies and don't want to go outside of them...
II. "least anime"
Come ooon how can you calculate what is "least in common with" since this common changes all the time? Maybe you talk about certainer period of time but even than it will be difficult to find something that really stands out (Panty & Stocking anyone) and in the same time is more approachable to wider demography.

BlakexEkalb said:
The show doesn’t feel Japanese, which is due to the director taking inspiration from the west.

This is wrong.
- Cowboy Bebop feels very japanese to me.
- There are a lot animes influenced by western ideas and style but still being very japanese at their core.
alshuDec 8, 2019 9:35 AM
Dec 8, 2019 9:29 AM

Jun 2019
operationvalkyri said:
I don't know if the 'least anime-esque' show will automatically have the potential to attract non-anime viewers. One Punch Man is one show which all of my friends enjoy, likely because superhero stuff is in these days, but OPM can't be said to be very different from other anime.

Yes, that's true, but I want to clarify the OP and say that people shouldn't get overly focused on that point, because it's just one aspect of the question. I don't mean to say that the show in question need necessarily have a large appeal even outside of anime. The central point is that it feels or is different in a core or multiple respects from other anime series, so it could very much be not a popular show, but a niche within a niche with limited appeal either in or outside the anime community.

The bottom line is, it theoretically can be popular with non-anime fans, but that's not at all a prerequisite of what I'm asking (which is why that part, if it would appeal more to non-anime watchers, was even phrased in the form of a question in the OP)

Dec 8, 2019 9:31 AM
Jan 2019
EpicYarn said:
My sister hates anime but still enjoyed: Madoka Magica, Demon Slayer, MHA and Clannad (there are a few more but those are the ones she likes the most so far)

But doesn't that mean she liked it then? All of those are very much anime lol
Dec 8, 2019 9:31 AM

Feb 2010
Being anime or not isn't really a spectrum, but if you just mean which anime have the broadest and least niche appeal I'd have to go with Miyazaki Movies, mainstream battle shounen like DB and One Piece which found global success, or the old WMT shows and other kids anime from the 70s and 80s that whole generations of europeans grew up on without even knowing they're from japan.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 8, 2019 9:34 AM

Jul 2016
If Revy didn't say "Baka!" then Black Lagoon would be one of the least anime.
Aug 2015
Zeckrin said:
EpicYarn said:

True, but she still claims to hate anime so I guess those seem less anime like to her idk
Feb 2017
alshu said:

BlakexEkalb said:
The show doesn’t feel Japanese, which is due to the director taking inspiration from the west.

This is wrong.
- Cowboy Bebop feels very japanese to me.
- There are a lot animes influenced by western ideas and style but still being very japanese at their core.

I’m sorry, but you are in the wrong here my friend. Even the dub disagrees with you.

EpicYarn said:
Zeckrin said:

True, but she still claims to hate anime so I guess those seem less anime like to her idk

We found a real life Taundere (towards anime) boys.
Dec 8, 2019 9:45 AM

May 2018
BlakexEkalb said:

I’m sorry, but you are in the wrong here my friend.

Oh, so now you are telling me what I should feel?

BlakexEkalb said:
Even the dub disagrees with you.

I always watched it with the original japanese dub (because authenticity and I prefer japanese VAs...especially THOSE VAs).
If the english dub made you to perceive it as non-japanse title...well this is a bit of a shallow way of perceiving media - like there are themes, character traits, cultural references and plot developments in it that are very japanese to me.
Dec 8, 2019 9:46 AM
Jul 2018
Legend of the Galactic heroes, Cowboy Bebop, FMAB, Death Note, One Piece, Jojo, all these western inspired shows etc.

They are all made with the sentiment to parade western culture, that is why they appeal to Japanese actually, and are easy to stomach by westerners. I call them westaboo anime.

These shows tend to all be action based, or in some cases dark and psychological in the end, which I find interesting.

Akira is another good example, as it was the main anime which helped change westerners perspective of animation in the 80's as I've heard. And it is a dystopia as it began that trend. So I guess that is one way of explaining the appeal for westerners... as it is NOT FOR KIDS.

Same reason stuff like Elfen Lied or Mirai Nikki was popular as well.

The no-no for majority of westerners have to be ecchi and harem shows. Which is a shame. I apply this weird distaste they have for these shows is duo to their puritan cultural upbringing and fear of sexuality. Also the animation = children mentality. Oh well.
Dec 8, 2019 10:10 AM
Jul 2018
WatchTillTandava said:
operationvalkyri said:

Yes, that's true, but I want to clarify the OP and say that people shouldn't get overly focused on that point, because it's just one aspect of the question. I don't mean to say that the show in question need necessarily have a large appeal even outside of anime. The central point is that it feels or is different in a core or multiple respects from other anime series, so it could very much be not a popular show, but a niche within a niche with limited appeal either in or outside the anime community.

The bottom line is, it theoretically can be popular with non-anime fans, but that's not at all a prerequisite of what I'm asking (which is why that part, if it would appeal more to non-anime watchers, was even phrased in the form of a question in the OP)

Well then Panty, Stocking and Garterbelt is the first to some to mind based on the art style. Anything with a Yoko Kanno OST brings a non-Japanese addition to the sound often (Zankyou no Terror, Bebop, Wolf's Rain). One show that gave me strong Western media feels was Tiger & Bunny, despite it containing lots of anime tropes. It's surface level handling of all tropes and characters was what gave me he impression, I think. (Ironic that the Japanese love it.)
Dec 8, 2019 10:14 AM

Aug 2019
Monster could be a live action show on HBO or Netflix and most people wouldn't know it was an adaption of an manga/anime
Dec 8, 2019 10:15 AM

Jul 2016
Maybe Baccano! Prohibition-era America is a setting I would've never expected to see in anime
Dec 8, 2019 10:16 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Ew, this topic makes me throw up in my mouth a little every time it gets brought up

I will make my own variant of this thread one day, and it'll just be an all caps HOW CAN WE GET PEOPLE WHO DON'T LIKE ANIME TO LIKE ANIME SO THAT WAY PEOPLE STOP MAKING FUN OF MY ANIME PFP ONLINE.

Let's just throw Kodomo no Jikan at them, it's a subversive masterpiece that I am 100% sure will convert even the most devout of media heathens

Dec 8, 2019 10:25 AM

Oct 2008
Death Note
Aoi bungaku series
Baryender
Stains Gate
Carole and Tuesday
Clannad after story
Gantz
Joker Game
Erased

And many, many more
Dec 8, 2019 10:25 AM

Apr 2016
Michiko to Hatchin. Has no anime cliche shit.
Banana Fish - i would call this a seinen crime anime. Again no cliches and the ending is just T_T
Tenshi no Tamago
Nekojiru Gekijou - Black comedy. Really damn funny.
Shingeki no Kyojin

Manaban said:
Ew, this topic makes me throw up in my mouth a little every time it gets brought up

I will make my own variant of this thread one day, and it'll just be an all caps HOW CAN WE GET PEOPLE WHO DON'T LIKE ANIME TO LIKE ANIME SO THAT WAY PEOPLE STOP MAKING FUN OF MY ANIME PFP ONLINE.

Let's just throw Kodomo no Jikan at them, it's a subversive masterpiece that I am 100% sure will convert even the most devout of media heathens

I don't think thats OPs intention tho. He just wants anime which have minimal anime cliches.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
FancyjasperDec 8, 2019 11:06 AM
Dec 8, 2019 10:26 AM

Jun 2019
Manaban said:

You have such preconceived notions at this point about anyone who asks any line of questioning that you aren't even interested in the truth or real purpose behind any question if it doesn't align with your bias. That is not the purpose of this question and I thought the edit in the OP further clarified that.

1. No one in my life really knows I watch anime or would care if I did or didn't besides a few friends I see a handful of times a year

2) Those few friends started watching anime and more varieties of series years before I did, so certainly don't have a negative opinion about it

3) Once again, that isn't what this question is asking

4) No one is making fun of anything related to anime and myself online or offline, nor do I care, because I value my own choices on how I spend my time and what to watch more than I will ever choose to watch or not watching anything I'm interested in or not interested in so as to better appease others.
Dec 8, 2019 10:37 AM

Jan 2016
In terms of style, Panty and Stocking from what I've seen seems like the least "anime" anime that's out there (at least that I'm aware of), it seems more similar to a western series albeit with anime aspects sprinkled on top, although again, haven't seen it yet, so could be off.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Dec 8, 2019 10:40 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Manyaa_- said:

I don't think thats OPs intention tho. He just wants anime which have minimal anime cliches.

Kodomo no Jikan

WatchTillTandava said:

You have such preconceived notions at this point about anyone who asks any line of questioning that you aren't even interested in the truth or real purpose behind any question if it doesn't align with your bias. That is not the purpose of this question and I thought the edit in the OP further clarified that.

1. No one in my life really knows I watch anime or would care if I did or didn't besides a few friends I see a handful of times a year

2) Those few friends started watching anime and more varieties of series years before I did, so certainly don't have a negative opinion about it

4) No one is making fun of anything related to anime and myself online or offline, nor do I care, because I value my own choices on how I spend my time and what to watch more than I will ever choose to watch or not watching anything I'm interested in or not interested in so as to better appease others.

Oh, fucking spare me.

Do you think this series will still have an appeal to the general anime audience or is more likely to resonate with people from outside the anime community, and maybe in so doing even create new anime fans

which anime, at least either on the surface or taken as a whole if you've watched them to completion, have the potential to attract people who may not be into anime in general so much as the niche it exemplifies?

You already prefaced this thread by emphasizing attracting non-fans and creating new fans and all of that shit. Your OP is littered with this shit and I'm just responding in kind.

Try to chalk it up to ambiguity or people not understanding, whatever helps you sleep at night, but you were very directly the one to invite these kinds of responses and views of your thread by the way you presented the topic. There is a reason everybody before me is vomiting out the routine answers of Bebop and Monster and what the fuck ever whenever it comes to this thread. And, I promise you, it's not due to ambiguity or any comprehension problems on anybody else's end than your own.

Also lol @ "nobody is making fun of other types of anime," I mean, no shit, nothing I said ever implied that this was the case. This is just a tired, routine topic that's not capable of doing anything outside of hosting some of the most shallow conversation outside of ecchi threads.
ManabanDec 8, 2019 10:44 AM

Dec 8, 2019 10:43 AM

Mar 2018
I would say Monster and the Black Jack 1993 OVA are the only ones that come to mind right now. Both are pretty realistic in their settings and stories.
Dec 8, 2019 10:43 AM

Jun 2019
Manaban said:
Manyaa_- said:

Kodomo no Jikan

WatchTillTandava said:

Oh, fucking spare me.

Do you think this series will still have an appeal to the general anime audience or is more likely to resonate with people from outside the anime community, and maybe in so doing even create new anime fans

which anime, at least either on the surface or taken as a whole if you've watched them to completion, have the potential to attract people who may not be into anime in general so much as the niche it exemplifies?

You already prefaced this thread by emphasizing attracting non-fans and creating new fans and all of that shit. Your OP is littered with this shit and I'm just responding in kind.

Try to chalk it up to ambiguity or people not understanding, whatever helps you sleep at night, but you were very directly the one to invite these kinds of responses and views of your thread by the way you presented the topic. There is a reason everybody before me is vomiting out the routine answers of Bebop and Monster and what the fuck ever whenever it comes to this thread. And, I promise you, it's not due to ambiguity or any comprehension problems on anybody else's end.

You're just dead wrong when it comes to my intentions in making this thread or asking this question, and that's all there is to it.

Again, if you misinterpreted, I invite you to reread the OP, and if there is still misinterpretation or misunderstanding on your part, I'd invite you to reread it again as many times as is required. Because all I'm interested in are anime series that feel the least like other anime or the anime medium as an entity. More for my own curiosity and interest than anything else.
Dec 8, 2019 10:44 AM

Jan 2019
Redline
Baccano!
Cowboy Bebop

If you watch the dub you’d never think these are anime.
Dec 8, 2019 10:46 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
WatchTillTandava said:

You're just dead wrong when it comes to my intentions in making this thread or asking this question, and that's all there is to it.

Feel free to ignore me, then, unless you have something to prove to me. You can either try to convince me I'm wrong - which, is going to be fucking hard since you yourself handed me the knife here - or you can just ignore me all together.

Your third option, the one you're taking here, is wasting everybody's time by telling me that I'm wrong and that's all there is to it, which isn't going to do anything productive for you in either direction, I promise.

WatchTillTandava said:

Again, if you misinterpreted, I invite you to reread the OP, and if there is still misinterpretation or misunderstanding on your part, I'd invite you to reread it again as many times as is required.

I've already read it twice and quoted you directly from it to substantiate my own interpretation of this thread's intent, and that interpretation of this thread's intent is only reiterated by all of the responses that made you feel forced to try to change the topic in the first place. I don't know what else you could possibly want from me.

I can acknowledge you want to mitigate the presence of these aspects to this thread to shift focus somewhere else, sure, but that doesn't mean that they're no longer relevant to your thread whenever you yourself are the one who made it a point to introduce them in the first place. And I'm going to think these aspects of the discussion are dumb, and, like I've done for years now, point out how much their presence revolts me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WatchTillTandava said:
Because all I'm interested in are anime series that feel the least like other anime or the anime medium as an entity. More for my own curiosity and interest than anything else.

You're also interested in ones that will grab people who dislike anime and could possibly convert people into being fans of this medium as well.

Like, you explicitly stated all of this. This is undeniably part of your intention at this point, even if you want to try to mitigate the amount of focus on these aspects of your thread. And I am going to respond negatively to these stated intentions because I dislike the point of view that I feel it tends to stem from rather intensely.

I can quote you a second time, if you want. As many times as you want, even~
ManabanDec 8, 2019 10:53 AM

Dec 8, 2019 10:49 AM
Feb 2017
alshu said:
BlakexEkalb said:

I’m sorry, but you are in the wrong here my friend.

Oh, so now you are telling me what I should feel?

BlakexEkalb said:
Even the dub disagrees with you.

I always watched it with the original japanese dub (because authenticity and I prefer japanese VAs...especially THOSE VAs).
If the english dub made you to perceive it as non-japanse title...well this is a bit of a shallow way of perceiving media - like there are themes, character traits, cultural references and plot developments in it that are very japanese to me.

I don't see how I'm trying to make you feel any way, since you also clearly said to me that what I said was wrong, then gave your own opinion about it.

To me, CBB was very Americanized/westernized from the music, the dub, the whole idea of a cowboy/bounty hunter, the diversity of skin color, the subtle references to American movies, etc.
Dec 8, 2019 10:52 AM

Jun 2019
Manaban said:
I've already read it twice and quoted you directly from it to substantiate my own interpretation of this thread's intent, and that interpretation of this thread's intent is only reiterated by all of the responses that made you feel forced to try to change the topic in the first place. I don't know what else you want from me.

And I'm telling you that interpretation, as I said, is dead wrong. If you believe the other responses "made me feel forced to try to change the topic", and by that you mean the edit to the OP to provide more detail/clarity as to what I was asking, then I don't know why you would take others' responses as proof of my intent, since the two things seem completely contradictory. As well, I edited my OP before you had even posted in the thread.

In any event, don't know how much more clear I can be. I'm just interested in which other anime that other users feel have enough to differentiate them from other series or the medium. My motive is curiosity.
Dec 8, 2019 11:00 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
WatchTillTandava said:

In any event, don't know how much more clear I can be. I'm just interested in which other anime that other users feel have enough to differentiate them from other series or the medium. My motive is curiosity.

I, too, don't look at my thread title and word choice whenever I make a thread and then like to wonder why I feel like people are misunderstanding what I'm saying.

have the potential to attract people who may not be into anime in general

more likely to resonate with people from outside the anime community, and maybe in so doing even create new anime fans

This is a component to this discussion. You made it such. The entire original OP was more focused on this aspect than what your edit tried to redirect the discussion to. I responded to these components you added to the discussion. Such is life.

Also, adding another layer to this thread's great wisdom, I do feel like there's an underlying component of "tropes = keeps normies out of anime" which is, at the very least, equally lul if you look at some of the most normie-friendly anime out and massively popular anime out there being laden with the things. One day people will learn that battle shounen is more outsider friendly and mainstream accessible than anything else in this medium and tossing out muh mashure, adolt series like Bebop and Monster is an answer that's likely more rooted in projection/desired outcome than actually answering the question, considering those series still has a fraction of the drawing power of Naruto or Boku no Hero. And it is incredibly likely that Bebop caught on due to its time and western release moreso than anything else and that, if released today, wouldn't be capable of reaching the same heights it did on release.
ManabanDec 8, 2019 11:11 AM

Dec 8, 2019 11:04 AM

Jun 2014
Garbage like "Beck" and "Eureka Seven" look like American cartoons that are trying to look like anime.

"Uchuusen Sagittarius" looks like a western cartoon, because it's based off an Italian comic strip. It's also very underrated, and is among the best anime ever made.

Dec 8, 2019 11:19 AM

Mar 2019
Camping anime we NEED more animes like Yuru Camp
Dec 8, 2019 11:33 AM

May 2018
BlakexEkalb said:
clearly said to me that what I said was wrong

It's wrong because you are missing some very japanese elements. It doesn't have japanese feel is you give is a very superficial watch.

BlakexEkalb said:

To me, CBB was very Americanized/westernized from the music, the dub, the whole idea of a cowboy/bounty hunter, the diversity of skin color, the subtle references to American movies, etc.

- OK, I agree that part of the music is like that (for example also it had some arabian themes)...but why counting the english dub too?
- It had references also to french, chinese (the Bruce Lee episode) and japanese movies...and their treatment was very japanse.
Dec 8, 2019 4:06 PM

Jun 2019
Manyaa_- said:
Banana Fish - i would call this a seinen crime anime. Again no cliches and the ending is just T_T

Would you recommend this one? I had actually end up putting it on my PTW list days ago. It seems like there's a lack of crime dramas, crime thrillers, and thrillers in general in anime that I would love to see addressed with more series. I wouldn't desire anything supernatural or anything like the self-referential comedic/parody anime side of anime to be pervasive in these, but more serious/somber tone maintained.

This could be addictive considering how good that well-made live action equivalents of this type of series have turned out, and also is prime candidate for the serialized format a lot of anime have. I assume Banana Fish is serialized.
Dec 8, 2019 4:08 PM
Apr 2016
Polygon Studios works look quite un-Japanese. While in essence they are very much so, the style they have decided to appropriate is rather CGI-looking.
Re:formed
Dec 8, 2019 5:19 PM

Nov 2016
Panty and stockings looks more like it was made by cartoon network than gainax but I doubt it would appeal to that demo either

On another note I think princess Sarah, Heidi and any other WMT shows has a lot of common appeal (I think most of them are based on western stories too) and would be loved by any kind out there and some adults as well
JoyBoy_316Dec 8, 2019 5:45 PM
Dec 8, 2019 6:07 PM
Jul 2018
Want an anime that takes place in Japan, has tsunderes, yanderes, overly sexy women, bishie boys worth shipping and lots of moe moe kyun kyun - in other words basic fanservicey stuff that appeals to the otaku community?
Well Baccano has none of that. As it takes place in America during the early 1930's with gangs and all that jazz making it look like it came straight from the movies. Okay there are some characters that are kinda like other anime characters and a few anime tropes here and there. But for the most part, it's acts less like an anime.

I could say the same thing with Princess Tutu. Sure it may have a cutesy art style that is definitely anime-ish (also it takes place in high school), but most of the content is completely western-influenced with the ballet, fairy tales and all.
Dec 8, 2019 6:27 PM

Aug 2018
LotGH, GitS, Monster, Berserk, AoT and Vinland Saga seem pretty non anime.

I'm surprised that some people are throwing Death Note or FMA here.

zieek said:
Death Note
Aoi bungaku series
Baryender
Stains Gate
Carole and Tuesday
Clannad after story
Gantz
Joker Game
Erased

And many, many more
LOL, what? All those shows are as anime as it can be...
Dec 8, 2019 11:07 PM
Jul 2018
Going for something that hasn't been mentioned, The Big O.

I genuinely thought it was an American cartoon the first time I saw it.
Dec 8, 2019 11:13 PM

Oct 2013
Shows that are structured more like western cartoons like Panty and Stocking, which would be right at home as an adult swim show. Space Dandy is another one I've seen that feels more like a western show than an anime.
Dec 8, 2019 11:53 PM

Apr 2016
WatchTillTandava said:
Manyaa_- said:

Would you recommend this one? I had actually end up putting it on my PTW list days ago. It seems like there's a lack of crime dramas, crime thrillers, and thrillers in general in anime that I would love to see addressed with more series. I wouldn't desire anything supernatural or anything like the self-referential comedic/parody anime side of anime to be pervasive in these, but more serious/somber tone maintained.

This could be addictive considering how good that well-made live action equivalents of this type of series have turned out, and also is prime candidate for the serialized format a lot of anime have. I assume Banana Fish is serialized.

I would recommend it. Its a really amazing crime series with a lot of mature elements. It does have comedic bits here and there but after the halfway point its mostly serious shit. Especially that damn ending. The characters are really good as well. Watch out for Shorter Wong.
The show was a little polarizing due to the inclusion of homosexual elements in it, but as someone who hates anything yaoi I would say this ain't it.
Dec 8, 2019 11:57 PM

Nov 2016
Maybe Violet Evergardeen. The animation is so freakin good that people that don't watch anime would perfectly watch it just because of the animation.

I mean, people that does watch anime already watched it just for the animation.
Dec 9, 2019 8:53 AM

May 2018
"Panty And Stocking With Garterbelt" is the most obvious answer.
Dec 9, 2019 1:40 PM

Jun 2019
Manyaa_- said:
WatchTillTandava said:

I would recommend it. Its a really amazing crime series with a lot of mature elements. It does have comedic bits here and there but after the halfway point its mostly serious shit. Especially that damn ending. The characters are really good as well. Watch out for Shorter Wong.
The show was a little polarizing due to the inclusion of homosexual elements in it, but as someone who hates anything yaoi I would say this ain't it.

Thanks, it sounds like it'll be rewarding. The thought of including it first popped into my head when I heard it recommended as part of a commentary/review on a completely unrelated anime. And I don't mind any comedic relief or levity worked into the story and characters' personalities seemingly naturally - Some of my favorite series have it. I just wanted to make sure the main genre wasn't a comedy or parody, so to know the show has true drama elements. Same with the sex and sexuality stuff - I don't mind when it's included; just prefer that it doesn't dominate everything else in the story as main genre. Series I like or even love can have some yaoi, yuri, ecchi, hentai, etc., but if that's all there was to offer, I would just watch titles with that listed as the primary genre if I desired it.

I notice that Banana Fish is also listed on its page in this website's database as a Shoujo, which is unexpected.
WatchTillTandavaDec 9, 2019 1:44 PM
Dec 9, 2019 3:14 PM
Jul 2018
Mighty Orbots.

Collaboration between tms and intermediate entertainment, in association with mgm
Even the animation technique differs and also American animator Skip Jones was involved. Directed by O. Dezaki

Dec 10, 2019 12:17 AM

Aug 2016
From what I've seen so far I'd say Monster fits that the most. would be interesting to see it live action tbh.
Dec 10, 2019 3:08 PM
Jan 2019
I mean Panty and Stocking is literally R rated Powerpuff Girls.
I would say a lot of Mahou Shoujo are not very anime like.
Carole and Tuesday seemed like a cartoon dubbed into Japanese.
Beastars mostly because of the animation style
Kemono no Souja Erin because of the art style and subject matter.
Dec 10, 2019 3:19 PM
Jul 2018
Naruto. Too many western references, little to no asian influences, all OPs and EDs are sung in German and the girls are way too manly. Talk no Jutsu yourself out of it Mashima.

Learn with Monster, Cowboy Bebop and Victorious how to make a proper lesbian anime.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 2 hours ago

53 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
25 seconds ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 2 hours ago

17 by Shipfan66 »»
2 minutes ago

» Categorize your Profile Favorite Characters as sadist, masochist, or switch

IpreferEcchi - 5 minutes ago

0 by IpreferEcchi »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - Yesterday

23 by epidemia78 »»
13 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

36 by epidemia78 »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.