Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 28, 2013 3:48 AM

Oct 2012
NEVER ever say Fairy Trash is trying to rip off of One Piece lol, because FT will never even remotely resemble one piece in any way not in a 100 years to the greatness of one piece(manga) lol.
Nov 17, 2013 1:19 AM
Feb 2012
bigivelfhq said:
Clouseau said:
If i remember correctly they both used to work with each other as assistent in some point of their careers. What looks like rip off might be just both influencing each other.
But yeah Mashima is basicly overdoing it hahaha

Not, they never work together! Oda was Samurai X assistant, while Mashima was never an assistant in his life. Oda never went to any manga/art school(He quit in the first year of university and I believe it wasn't even in a manga/art course). Mashima I don't know,but probably went in some kind of manga school!.

Thanks for clearifying man! Shouldn't have listened to the rumours.
Apr 5, 2014 11:26 PM

Jan 2014
Name one thing from One Piece that is original and not a rip off.
Apr 6, 2014 12:41 AM

Jun 2008
Yes it is

/thread
Apr 6, 2014 5:47 AM

Nov 2012
Archadian said:

Learn the difference between ripoff and inspiration. By your logic every story is ripoff of one another.
Apr 6, 2014 6:11 AM

Nov 2013
Thread resurrection for the sake of fueling the flame between hater and fanboys? Common stop this please.
Apr 6, 2014 11:39 AM

Jan 2014
Archadian said:

Nami's boobs (and Blackbeard's too).
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jun 17, 2015 10:16 PM
Jun 2015
Monkey D. Luffy characterized as Gokuh, being a "monkey" both in name and behavior.
- Usopp as Pinocchio.
- Usopp (in Kuro arc) also representing the tale of The Shepherd's boy and the Wolf.
- Captain Kuro as Freddy Krueger.
- Sanji is "the invisible man". Although not literally speaking like Absalom, but he is the one that is unnoticed most of the times by marines or enemies until the very end.
- He is not found and depicted by the Unluckies.
- He doesn't meet anyone in Little Garden.
- He doesn't meet Mr.2 at the Merry and because of that Crocodile has no clue of him existing even
after he's tricked by Sanji.
- He doesn't meet anyone from Bellamy's crew or Blackbeard's crew in Jaya.
- He's not seen with his crew in Water 7. Allowing him to sneak into the Umi Ressha and the CP9 not
caring him until he tricks them.
- Marine's photographer can't take a pic of him and his wanted poster doesn't ressembles him at all, keeping him invisible at the world's eyes.
- Sanji is also a reference to Dragon Ball's Super Saiyans. Hair bristles (except eyebrow cover) and flames cover his body as the Super saiyan's aura or enerfy radiance.
- First, he "goes super saiyan" only led by his rage. (At Thriller Bark when said Nami is still kept by
Absalom).
- After training, he "goes super saiyan" at will. (As when ending the fight with Wadatsumi).
- Dracule Mihawk is characterized as Count Dracula. By name and also by his "home" and boat, depicting him as a vampire.
- Chopper as Rudolph.
- Chopper as Abominable Snowman.
- Mr. 2 Bon Kure as Lloyd Christmas (fom Dumb and Dumber) for his looks and as "The Mask" (from The Mask) for his power and behavior. Both characters played by Jim Carrey.
- Crocodile as Captain Hook.
- Crocodile referencing T-1000 from Terminator 2, when shot at the head in Impel Down.
- Pell as Horus.
- Chaka as Anubis.
- Van Augur as Adolphus from the Story of Baron Munchausen.
- Jesus Burgess as Albrecht "strongest man in the world" also from the Story of Baron Munchausen.
- Doc Q as the Queen of Snow White.
- Doflamingo as Spiderman.
- Gan Fall as Don Quixote (from his own story).
- Franky as a mix between Popeye and Ace Ventura.
- Hildon (Zombie n� 21) as Hiruma from Eyeshield 21.
- Absalom as a beast from The Island of Doctor Moreau.
- Dr. Hogback as The Penguin from Batman.
- Ryuuma as himself from Oda's WANTED.
- Captain John as Captain Jonathan Flint from Treasure Island.
- Lola's Zombie as Peggy Muppets.
- Victoria Cindry (zombie) as Sally (from Nightmare before Christmas).
- Duval as "The man in the iron mask". (Obvious iron mask. He being some kind of "double" of another person).
- Peterman as (alternative) Robin Hood.
- Sentomaru as Kintaro.
- Boa Hancock is a reference to Medusa.
- Emporio Ivankov as Dr. Frank-N-Furter (from The Rocky Horror Picture Show).
- Inazuma as Edward Scissorhands.
- Inazuma as Cruela de Vil also.
- King Dew as He-man.
- A pirate from Whitebeard pirates ressembles Barret Wallace from Final Fantasy VII.
- Ace dies in a way similar to Gokuh dying for the first time.
- Sanjuan Wolf as Hagrid (from Harry Potter).
- Vasco Shot as Sloth (from The Goonies).
- Ame no Shilliew as General Washizaki.
- Panfleet Admiral Kong is modeled after Kongou Banchou.
- The past of Luffy, Ace and Sabo, a reference to Tekkonkinkreet.
- Sabo as Oliver Twist.
- His hat, one from Linda Perry (from 4 Non Blondes)
- Baron Tamago as a mix between Dr. Robotnik and the man from Monopoly.
- Baby 5, at least to me, totally looks like Babydoll (from Sucker Punch).
- Baby 5, in his torpede form, is a reference to Torpedo Girl (from Bobobo).
- Leo is modeled after Leo Messi (best soccer player). Maybe his crown unbends at the end of the summer depending on which country wins the World Cup...
- Wicca is a reference to WIlly wonKA.
- Sugar is a reference to Am�lie Poulain.

Artists:

- Jango as Michael Jackson (hair style, moonwalk).
- Monkey D. Garp as Sean Connery
- Captain Bogard as Humphrey Bogart.
- Mr. 5 as Lenny Kravitz
- Lafitte as Iwatani Tokiko and Pinky and the killers.
- Donquixote Doflamingo as Michael Bolton dressed like Jean Michel Polnareff.
- Eneru as Eminem.
- Aokiji as Matsuda Yūsaku.
- Rob Lucci as Slash (from Guns'n'Roses)
- The unnamed CP9 from the past could be a reference to Brian May (from Queen).
- Brook as Jimmy Hendrix.
- Brook also as Michael Jackson. (Black man becoming white. Zombie. The 45� move.)
- Perona as Emillie Autumn.
- Killer as Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo (from Daft Punk).
- Eustass Kid's crew as a reference to different styles of Heavy Metal music (one per crewmate). And also his ability to manipulate metal.
- Basil Hawkins as Jordison (from Slipknot).
- Kizaru as Tanaka Kunie.
- Although most surely this was not Oda's intentions, Jinbe very much resembles Spanish-gypsy artist Falete.
- Akainu as Sugawara Bunta.
- Makugai as G�rard Depardieu in his role as Porthos in The Man in the Iron Mask.
- This may be pure coincidence, but Shanks and Johnny Depp resemble each other.
- Fujitora as Katsu Shintaro.

Other character references:

- Shushu is modeled after Hachikō, the dog that waited for his dead owner everyday at Shibuya Station until he died too.
- Fishmen and merfolk play the role of black people. Notice that no character is black. Not even the ones with "afro hair".
- Blackbeard actually representing real life Balckbeard.
- The Gorosei members are modeled after some notorious people in history:
- One as Mikhail Gorbachev.
- One as Mahatma Gandhi.
- Foxy as Count Chocula.
- Vice-Admiral Yamakaji as Fidel Castro.
- Makro and his crew are a reference to the real life existence of black slave holders. Or any other example of someone enslaving his fellows.
- Trafalgar Law as Valentino Rossi aka "Il Dottore".
- Capone as reference to the Italian mafia.
- Magellan as Satan.
- Fisher Tiger as Che Guevara.
- Thunder Soldier is a reference to terrorist Guy Fawkes.

Culture:

- Arlong is a reference to Loan Sharks.
- Dorry and Brogy as the ogres from Naita Akaoni (The crying red ogre). Indeed, Brogy (the red ogre) is the one who cries as Dorry is still alive.
- Civil war is an episode of many and many nations all over the world, and it is the theme of Arabasta arc.
- American Colonial Wars (both in north america and in central and south america) are the theme for Skypiea's arc.
- The Davy Back Fight is reference to Davy Jones.
- The Admirals represent each a particular vision or feature of Justice:
- Aokiji represents the slow procedures justice (and burocracy in general) may take.
- Kizaru represents the corruption of justice. Chasing after something for unrighteous resons but
justifying it oficially as though it is a threat for people. Seen in his attitude of lying, saying that
something is terrifying and playing scared.
- Akainu represents the most strict and oppressing justice in which everything that could be seen as
a threat, a felony or a missbehavior must be punished. No excpetion.
- Fujitora represents the blind justice. Clear evidence is not enough. There must be some proof to
demonstrate guilt.
- Also, CP9 represents Machiavelli's most famous sentence "The goal justifies the means."
- Slavery is the theme for the Shabondy Arc.
- Jailers and chiefs in Impel Down are a referencte to the SS personal guard to Adolf Hitler.
- Hannyabal is another reference to ancient Egypt gods.
- Impel Down is based on Dante's representation of hell.
- Shi no kuni is a reference to the eruption of Mount Vesuvio at Pompeia. (Check for images of the victims).

Architectonics:

- Logue Town ressembles Torino (Italy) or at least has architectonics similar to those of Piemonte region. Torino is just an example I came up with.
- Whiskey Peak has architectonics of Caribbean small towns in the colonial period. Maybe due to the Grand Line representing The Caribbean Sea, and Whiskey Peak being the first island seen there.
- Arabasta represents the Ancient Egypt.
- Water 7 is modeled after Venezia.
- Amazon Lily is a reference to the village from The Adventures of Asterix.
- Dressrosa is modeled after Spain in many ways.
- Culture, including the corruption.
- The gladiators fights, they existed for long time while Spain was part of the Roman Empire.
- Now, gladiators fights evolved into "tauromaquia". Shows where many men humilliate, torture and
assassinate bulls. That is why there are fighting fish (being half bull half fish) at the colosseum.
- Violet outfit and first appearance are reference to "flamenco" music and dancing genre.
- Many buildings at the streets exist in Barcelona (dessigned by Antoni Gaud�).
- The most famous appeared being "Parc G�ell", which is actually the giant plateau where the royal
palace is.
- Also appears "Puente Grande" from M�laga.
- And the Royal Palace is in fact "La Alhambra" from Granada.

last thing diamante as steve tyler
cross referrence everything.....

everyone idolizes someone and imitates them unconsciously so thread lightly people you might be seeing something from others and averting your eyes from your flaws
Jun 17, 2015 10:19 PM
Jun 2015
if any of one piece fans knows imitations are flattery i could list more >.< now scram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and tell me ripped off the world
Aug 12, 2015 4:14 PM

Oct 2014
Yamato-Takeru said:
Is Fairy Tail Is A Rip Off Of One piece:

The Art is the same , the special type animals are the same , natsu is luffy(they look amazingly alike ), they both take care of their nakama (fellow mates) or friends .

What do u think?

Check Mate

Fairy Tail is rip-off of everything.

seikipunch said:
CeeTwo said:
They are similar like all battle anime but I cant give one piece credit for having many original things to be ripped off in the first place :)

Pirates.

Now that's one.

silvermud said:
A very long post

Monet's name may be a reference to Claude Monet, I dunno though. Sugar may be a reference to The Sugar Plum Fairy from Nutcracker. Heck, she has the same name and she even has an army of nutcrackers.
Phoenix_WrightAug 12, 2015 4:31 PM
Aug 13, 2015 8:30 AM

Jun 2015
I saw both works and frankly I think people exaggerate in saying that FT is a copy of One Piece. From what I understand Mashima is a fan of OP and with Gildarts he wanted to honor Shanks and Oda. OP is also not so original (the characters Rufy and Brook, in addition to the design of all the characters are an example), unfortunately find original things these days is difficult but not impossible if you look carefully. I think OP is better than the FT but I think it depends on the tastes of a person.
Since1900Aug 13, 2015 9:06 AM
Aug 13, 2015 8:45 AM

Mar 2012
One Piece is nt original in the first place.

Both were simply inspired by Togashi and Toriyama.
End Zionazism
Nov 1, 2015 5:35 PM
Nov 2015
Why do so many people say it's a rip off of one piece there art styles are massively different fairy tail is closer to mashima s inspiration Dragonball and to the person that said it's overly dramatic and stupid you obviously don't watch one piece cause its way more dramatic and cliche and the character designs are look like there fresh off a high trip now I love both shows but they are nothing alike the best way to see it is one piece is an adventure like DragonBall and Fairy tail is more like DragonBall Z a lot of bad ass fights my only issue with fairy tail is the fact that no main characters die but I think that might change real soon the story is slowly getting darker
Nov 1, 2015 7:05 PM

Nov 2014
pretty much

Nov 1, 2015 7:29 PM

Aug 2012
Yes it is. A poor excuse I may add. I never felt any authenticity to it, when I used to watch it. I always felt Fairy Tail was trying way too hard in every situation they had.
Nov 19, 2015 10:27 PM
Nov 2015
One is all about that friendship, the other one is... wait a minute they're both about friendship... oh well at least Oda said One Piece is an actual treasure
Feb 4, 2016 2:59 PM
Feb 2016
[quote=Yamato-Takeru message=5816352]Is Fairy Tail Is A Rip Off Of One piece:

The Art is the same , the special type animals are the same , natsu is luffy(they look amazingly alike ), they both take care of their nakama (fellow mates) or friends .

What do u think?

Check Mate [/quote https://www.google.com/search?tbs=sbi:AMhZZiujagz3L1yuTBdnrn6YspeRz0Td8NKNYihFBeP56KZgDTaStv2Sbroz4ypr09h182j9YZXtRyi-l9vcRxAQS68CM136hVrhIQYdlD9y8mtLC1KNx0Y1F_1U230aA21JP8OB6QtUO8tvea0uhycNZbVsFK_1MCI-FLli_1aNCmn4YPz_1RbjZpo20AK8Yyi41WgqVWQ_1YOBHYi_1lldDH8QsyGi7BDYoFD6NvQ-_1oTvzsFqLt1DhIXrFXxQhU84yu_1vyChvReW2xD5RySb_15ZQG8W5mSscEMEKcMS467pZDHUUVU3gpYgb-FYXJ1Xcu1-u0o5-ICkf0W8dICjiFbkw8NpSd_1_1DWmtA9lRQFxK26SaruONXImcjyyBPPqmtG24cCYrfNpYHpGvGL4e6XtChH-a6dFFqKPFPYBPDCKWgqMg-LJB54CnEGG0JEVHeEMjASxGLa5yoHKRGVLkTESawY5x_1kLqEz2c3Wstv5SEEnTtv68RpIrUx5FVcdPO6OD5iIUdWBBTDrmiBuAVylZB8Ala4WsP4dsVBcn3sBBLq-Z6hLRaTtZqU-hMQ0JGyaJjD_1PmmZ2qbEgCrsesEZ3uiz0Xnt9fiyUrEE8CGQBjnnrxNubkDtB2j09F0FlH1dchdq8y-IV673pbKtEEsqZQdyKGY4Z89DNwtw-SnO62pgYG3ATSS5ymSTN4xrdHl7SkaRAWTMQxxiXdCz0Rtypfn_1Ah0YOLXT9rSv2c18_1as99iZuvEtH9DQ8Gt211YwGZj6wG663dcTRq8j-7GrbxD-kx6P6oZg9sPH25BtxUIwN_1XNA198B8qWRlgrz2S1aCte1RdBG5XZK1aC6bLlixRqJE6E_1LB47FO6LD7MUbeP3SpZHyPBfIfYMkhJNfjbVu6OxtzYEX8ovahpv6WPadZSRvSEaPw4aHDJ7k1ygVxiKc_1HlQlajCCCbXJNHSVq3KQnkXdxss_1MIYWktF1Wqobz3yYbDSIy-vEZ71pQK2vsZ4r6UyMOsBgxmHt7LhZEsII4BU_1GPwg0s05vPy-6Ap7VuQbejZ51b-entJYC9DTDvPOI_1rde9hZ6fvexOYuEB4X89bWSactKhs4GEt0LFEas3NB_1G6Oy9zbPE2wQQHXSDBT2ZMl3aN0sZB2DDu8M0sPPC35W8tSIPjPFcopO4DwXb7aU3_13ICXgrrfNir7c_1JJhsn63ecnnQd8Fl1PuUa_15WiATVBTS2h1wJ6LHGUo-KQ7swBjCu5CCaHoKFNl1ZMubtRPAznlqrfW6CPmDhAIccrD-5BjwpB5zX45T7HJdV56vSnCJnZDc75fSYGeI32LvrIrBuxMFEKpwMNKb7ZQtAcCop1voTwHLNB8-GDFiVZqWEvEsAdN2EIakulONkVbrp9hEWpJkgfuBSRp-N5Y-est5VO_1Bk4JTnn46gTCpJs5AChXzB6wxRaDti69zS5VW5Tt8AZRmbGWVWKhdZ6uv1zwOUSP8v9Y3igyR6xBaTvpLXhUr1P-ZNl_1g8PaLmn9QF7FtvIMUh-pL-GnEQNpyIT0QYYuSb8Nr_1ZDO4o4xdfkRPTNC8VCkiHrZA_1kV9RDF3nftuqlH_12le-jVszxALyVvW3BCFZ2ix
Jun 4, 2016 5:56 AM
Jun 2016
I dont really mind the ARTSYLE or even if fairy tail or one piece uses shounen CLICHES because its all about being entertained to the story that they are creating,. the fact that oda uses alot of different materials and reference from other places and incorporating those in his story building is amazing. on the other hand we have mashima's story which i can confidently say that he is ripping off one piece in alot of ways. i have read both of them and i think that if i felt that one story is trying to be like another story that i have read and keeps on doing the same thing over and over again, i should just speak my mind and share it with you all.

mashima obviously created natsu based on oda's luffy and no other character and not just some stupid cliche can prove it.

1. Reckless Fearless Meathead (common to shounen, but their level of airheadednes is next to no one.. even naruto or goku is a step smarter than them atleast)

2. Big appetite(the excuse of the writers being both DBZ fans is just a forced defense)

3. Being overly passionate about his friends and how they treat them as family( its just waaaay similar)

4. Have been training since he was a kid to be the strongest ever(also common on shounen, but cmon..even naruto and ichigos. childhood is different)

5. Ridiculous funny weakness(cant swim/motion sickness)

6. Has a mysterious power that is supposed to be RARE. (devilfruit/dragonslayer).

7. Has a mentor who they looked up to and owed dearly.. both happen to have lost a limb and the fact that they have the same LOOKS.. same PERSONALITY and same at being an OVERALL OVERPOWERED BADDASS.

8. Has the same goal of looking for something that may or may not be there(onepiece/igneel)

9. Both wearing a garment that was given to them and they hold and protect dearly(strawhat/natsu's scarf)

this is just the tip of the iceberg of how FT is a rip off of OP obviously but just to be clear i WAS A FAN of FT before i have come to this conclusion then i dropped it all the way back when OP did a timeskip and FT did one too.. and i just want to say that if you are a HUGE fan of FT who disagree with me, then you might wanna watch OP before you say anything
Jun 4, 2016 6:10 AM

Feb 2015
Yamato-Takeru said:
The Art is the same
Not even close. Fairy Tail's art is way better and more pleasing to look at.
Yamato-Takeru said:
the special type animals are the same
Define special type animals? I'm not sure what's that even supposed to mean.
Yamato-Takeru said:
natsu is luffy(they look amazingly alike )
You'll want to buy a pair of glasses if you think they look anything alike.
Yamato-Takeru said:
they both take care of their nakama (fellow mates) or friends
The two series simply share a common theme. It happens with dozens of shows, and they aren't considered rip-offs.
Yamato-Takeru said:
Is Fairy Tail Is A Rip Off Of One piece:
If those were all the reasons you could provide for such a claim, then, no.
Jun 4, 2016 6:30 AM

Feb 2015
mawhulk said:
1. Reckless Fearless Meathead (common to shounen, but their level of airheadednes is next to no one.. even naruto or goku is a step smarter than them atleast)

2. Big appetite(the excuse of the writers being both DBZ fans is just a forced defense)

3. Being overly passionate about his friends and how they treat them as family( its just waaaay similar)

4. Have been training since he was a kid to be the strongest ever(also common on shounen, but cmon..even naruto and ichigos. childhood is different)

5. Ridiculous funny weakness(cant swim/motion sickness)

6. Has a mysterious power that is supposed to be RARE. (devilfruit/dragonslayer).

7. Has a mentor who they looked up to and owed dearly.. both happen to have lost a limb and the fact that they have the same LOOKS.. same PERSONALITY and same at being an OVERALL OVERPOWERED BADDASS.

8. Has the same goal of looking for something that may or may not be there(onepiece/igneel)

9. Both wearing a garment that was given to them and they hold and protect dearly(strawhat/natsu's scarf)

this is just the tip of the iceberg of how FT is a rip off of OP obviously but just to be clear i WAS A FAN of FT before i have come to this conclusion then i dropped it all the way back when OP did a timeskip and FT did one too.. and i just want to say that if you are a HUGE fan of FT who disagree with me, then you might wanna watch OP before you say anything

1. Reckless and fearless MC is a common shounen trope. Not unique to One Piece in any way.

2. MC with big appetite is a common shounen trope. Not unique to One Piece in any way.

3. MC caring for his friends/family is a common shounen trope. Not unique to One Piece in any way.

4. Training to become the strongest is a common shounen trope. Not unique to One Piece in any way. But back to the point, how often do you even see Natsu training? He's already considered very strong in his universe at the start of the series. The only times he seriously trained was before the S-class trials (only 1 week) and before the tournament arc (which actually got cut short and they took another alternative).

5. And Saiyans lose their power when grabbed by their tails. Unique weakness is not unique to One Piece.

6. Yet obtained in completely different ways and with completely different qualities. The only similarity there is the fact both MCs have a rare special power of some sorts. That's not unique to either series.

7. I'll give you that one.

8. Having a goal to work toward to is a common shounen trope. Not unique to One Piece in any way. Also, for Luffy it's the sole reason to go on a grand adventure, while Natsu isn't even actively looking for Igneel.

9. I'm feeling generous, so I'll consider giving you this one.

Let's look at the results:
-Four common shounen tropes.
-Three actual differences.
-And two similarities I'd be willing to agree on.
If having one side character that looks similar to a side character in One Piece and both MCs having a (different) piece of clothing dear to them means one series is a rip-off of the other when both shows reach into the 100s of episodes, then I'll LOL at you. And yes, I've watched 100 or so episodes of One Piece before finally dropping it as it went nowhere, and I still fail to see a quantity of similarities between the two that could justify calling Fairy Tail a clone of One Piece.
Jun 4, 2016 6:41 AM

Dec 2012
mawhulk said:

mashima obviously created natsu based on oda's luffy and no other character and not just some stupid cliche can prove it.

Luffy is a rip off of Goku. So technically Natsu is inspired from Goku.
Jun 4, 2016 8:00 AM

Feb 2015
One Piece-world building-foreswadowing+asspulls+fanservice=Fairy Tail

AshitaNoJonasJun 4, 2016 8:16 AM
Jun 4, 2016 9:34 AM

Nov 2010
Some of those characters may be similiar by concidence, but that Kuma rip-off is just indefebsible.
Jun 4, 2016 11:06 PM
Jun 2016
Milennin said:

is a common shounen trope. Not unique to One Piece in any way.

Thank you VERY VERY much for replying, based on what i see about you, i can tell that you are a huge FT fan and this is what i expect to hear ok?

You argue with just saying "NO. its not the same because its been done before" for each similarity when im clearly saying that one or two of the things i have pointed out CAN be found everywhere but not ALL of those can be found in ONE story alone except FT's Natsu, its either you dont get it or just shamefully DENYING IT.

And why do everyone go with the excuse of "THIS IS SO COMMON ON SHOUNEN" ? personally i dont know, because if it is really THAT common from the HUNDREDS of the shounen or EVEN JUST THE POPULAR ONES out there, there should be AT LEAST 3 or more who has a main character with similar qualities to luffy/natsu and i bet you to name at least 3("maybe even one if im generous enough")who has these much similarities

You are clearly bias by the fact that your are just a FT fan, because not only is 100 episode on OP is unacceptable, im clearly doubting that you even did see those 100. because i actually WAS A HUGE FT FAN myself, until i felt like i have seen all the things FT is doing on OP.

before you claim anything to be SO COMMON, please do tell the characters that you can think of right away that has these qualities, you should be able to name LOTS and not just 4 or more since its so common on MAIN CHARACTERS

EDIT: once again this is just LUFFY-NATSU the main character.. not even talking about other character similarities ,EVENTS and groups and other THINGS in the OP world.
mawhulkJun 4, 2016 11:13 PM
Jun 5, 2016 2:24 AM

Feb 2015
mawhulk said:
You argue with just saying "NO. its not the same because its been done before" for each similarity when im clearly saying that one or two of the things i have pointed out CAN be found everywhere but not ALL of those can be found in ONE story alone except FT's Natsu, its either you dont get it or just shamefully DENYING IT.
Or you see similarities when there are none/are insignificant when looking at the bigger picture.

mawhulk said:
And why do everyone go with the excuse of "THIS IS SO COMMON ON SHOUNEN" ? personally i dont know, because if it is really THAT common from the HUNDREDS of the shounen or EVEN JUST THE POPULAR ONES out there, there should be AT LEAST 3 or more who has a main character with similar qualities to luffy/natsu and i bet you to name at least 3("maybe even one if im generous enough")who has these much similarities
Reckless and fearless MC:
-Goku, Vegeta
-Naruto
-Ichigo
-Touma
-Edward
-Kamina
-Kirito
-Vash
-Kotetsu
-Whatever the name is of Kill la Kill's MC

MC with big appetite:
-Goku, Vegeta
-Naruto
-Index
-Edward
-Kamina

MC caring about his friends/family:
-Goku, Vegeta
-Naruto
-Ichigo
-Gon
-Touma
-Mikoto
-Edward
-Kamina
-Kirito
-JoJo
-Ash

Training to become the strongest:
-Goku, Vegeta
-Naruto
-Ichigo
-Gon
-Ippo
-JoJo
-Ash
-Saitama
-The kid from Attack on Titan

mawhulk said:
You are clearly bias by the fact that your are just a FT fan, because not only is 100 episode on OP is unacceptable, im clearly doubting that you even did see those 100. because i actually WAS A HUGE FT FAN myself, until i felt like i have seen all the things FT is doing on OP.
I watched One Piece before I did Fairy Tail, and while it started out strong, it quickly lost its appeal to me when it seemed like it wasn't going anywhere. On the other hand, Fairy Tail's characters are much more fun and the show has a far stronger pacing + the superior OST. But going by your response, if I've seen both it must absolutely be impossible for me to like Fairy Tail over One Piece, just because YOU think One Piece is better. Are you eight years old by any chance?

mawhulk said:
before you claim anything to be SO COMMON, please do tell the characters that you can think of right away that has these qualities, you should be able to name LOTS and not just 4 or more since its so common on MAIN CHARACTERS
I did. Read above. And that list is coming from someone who hasn't even seen that much anime compared to some other people on here. But I've seen enough to recognise the tropes when they're there.

mawhulk said:
EDIT: once again this is just LUFFY-NATSU the main character.. not even talking about other character similarities ,EVENTS and groups and other THINGS in the OP world.
Again, having watched both, at least up to around episode 100, I fail to see similarities so strong that Natsu is a rip-off of Luffy. Despite having a number of things in common, they're still very different characters. I don't see how you can't see that, but okay. If you prefer to continue to believe Natsu/Fairy Tail is a rip-off, then I don't have a problem with that.
Jun 5, 2016 2:45 AM

Jan 2015
Lol,
Dahaka_ said:
Some of those characters may be similiar by concidence, but that Kuma rip-off is just indefebsible.
lol, I don't beliv it's just matter coincidence, neither mashima tributed or simply rip off the chara's there, hell yeah it were appaling

la critique de l'intention pure
Jun 5, 2016 6:07 AM
Jun 2016
Milennin said:

Reckless and fearless MC:
-Goku, Vegeta
-Naruto
-Ichigo
-Touma
-Edward
-Kamina
-Kirito
-Vash
-Kotetsu
-Whatever the name is of Kill la Kill's MC

Its like you just remember them doing something aggressively and went with it. lol.

Goku - Close but not as reckless as Luffy/natsu. anyone can say the same
Vegeta - Defintely on the same level, even though not an MC, still a good one.
Naruto - Same as goku. their smarter.
Ichigo - Again. these types are smarter.. they are not on the same level.. they are reckless when they are being a hero for everyone and they know its for the better.. that is very different on luffy/natsu types who is always doing something before thinking.
Touma - Again.
Edward - Elric(?) are you serious? when did anyone who ever watched FMA and it reminded him of goku or naruto or luffy? the force is strong in this one. but Again. ..
Kamina - Very Good. very acceptable..even though he is smarter, he is as reckless as them even though GL is very different from most shounen and it doesnt remind me of OP.
Kirito - this gayass incestuous asshole is not even close, i regret even watching this piece of shit.
Vash - I vaguely remember him acting reckless or even as luffy/natsu .this guy is definitely smarter and mature. not even close.
kotetsu - (?) sorry if i dont know him but im guessing he's too irrelevant for me to care.
ryuko - YES.. on the same level of recklessness, but not only does she have a very different personality all in all, she is also a girl which doesnt make it shounen.. so its not really a torpe, its obviously a character who is not only trying but succeeded at being original.

Milennin said:

MC with big appetite:
-Goku, Vegeta
-Naruto
-Index
-Edward
-Kamina

Goku - yes sir.
Vegeta - Close but no. SJ's are definitely huge eaters as seen through gohan trunks etc.. but they are not the same as goku who is always being delivered having an impossible appetite which comes across as gluttonous everytime they eat. this characteristic is unique to him but can be seen on other shounen characters as in luffy/natsu.
Naruto - big appetite but does not even compare to your normal SJ.. he just likes to eat RAMEN. thats it.. maybe there was one scene when he is eating alot , idk.
Index - Really?
Edward - not even close
Kamina - not even close

Milennin said:

MC caring about his friends/family:
-Goku, Vegeta
-Naruto
-Ichigo
-Gon
-Touma
-Mikoto
-Edward
-Kamina
-Kirito
-JoJo
-Ash

You are just bending the words and forcing anything you can think of at this point. if you didnt catch my point then what i was trying to point out is they both HAVE FRIENDS THAT THEY TREAT AS FAMILY yes this is common but the way they deliver it is so similar when it comes to words and emotion. DBZ/Naruto/FMA etc is literally family based which is VERY different from OP and FT approach. HxH is acceptable but it only feels the same as OP/FT between gon and killua which is wierd. i would have expected more close ones like hitman reborn or something. but even those are different enough from OP/FT.

let me slap you what you did wrong here.

1. You pointed out Specific Charactestics that is a little bit similar but OBVIOUSLY can not be considered a rip off of luffy. just ask anyone if luffy is the same as freaking edwards elric,Gon,Vash,Ryuko(?),Index(LOL),kirito(.,l,.) most of them is not even main character. but yes we all know goku is what oda based his character from, but there is so much more differences between them unlike Natsu who is clearly based of on luffy on NEARLY EVERYTHING! and the fact that mashima isnt even saying it is bs.

2. You are really just FORCING everything that you know about OP to be a TORPE, but how the hell can you say that OP is not really unique in itself but most of the anime's that you referenced off to came out after OP.

i mean... is anyone else seeing this guy?

Milennin said:

Training to become the strongest:
-Goku, Vegeta
-Naruto
-Ichigo
-Gon
-Ippo
-JoJo
-Ash
-Saitama
-The kid from Attack on Titan

this is another one that you missed. i clearly stated that they were training when they were a child so idk what happened but if you are not getting it then lets look at the similarities on their backstory as a kid.

Luffy ate devilfruit which gave him RARE power but gave a ridiculous side effect of not being able to swim.
Natsu learned of Dragonslaying a RARE magic but eversince then, it gave him motion sickness for some reason.

Luffy got the devilfruit from Shanks.
Natsu Learned Dragonslaying from Igneel.

Shanks left luffy.
Igneel Left Natsu.

Shanks gave him his Hat.
Igneel gave him a scarf.

Eversince then Luffy Trained his Hardest to be the Pirate King and MEET SHANKS AGAIN.
Eversince then Natsu Trained his Hardest to be the STRONGEST MAGE and MEET IGNEEL AGAIN.

Got it now? Now lets take a look on what you said about Natsu.

Milennin said:

how often do you even see Natsu training? He's already considered very strong in his universe at the start of the series. The only times he seriously trained was before the S-class trials (only 1 week) and before the tournament arc (which actually got cut short and they took another alternative).

Now how often do you even see Luffy training? He's already considered very strong in his universe at the start of the series.

The only times he seriously trained was after being destroyed at Saboady(an island that is a tree) so they made a timeskip
and returned to the world stronger than before

What Happened To Natsu in Fairy Tail?

The only times he seriously trained was after being destroyed at Tenrou Island(an island that is a tree) so theymade a timeskip and returned to the world stronger than before

i mean seriously, i would drop a mic but this is not even half of why mashima is just using OP as a guideline for his story.. you can keep saying that OP is not unique, that there are other who have done what OP did and not just FT.

but at this point it seems like you are just seeing similarities when there are none, its insignificant when looking at the bigger picture.

Milennin said:
you see similarities when there are none/are insignificant when looking at the bigger picture.
mawhulkJun 5, 2016 6:12 AM
Jun 5, 2016 7:22 AM

Feb 2015
mawhulk said:
Its like you just remember them doing something aggressively and went with it. lol.
Just because a character fits a certain trope, doesn't mean they're exact copies of each other or approach the same trope in the exact same ways. Well, even with the ones you refuse to accept, I still listed more than 3 valid examples, so I don't see the problem. The same goes for the other lists you picked apart.

mawhulk said:
1. You pointed out Specific Charactestics that is a little bit similar but OBVIOUSLY can not be considered a rip off of luffy. just ask anyone if luffy is the same as freaking edwards elric,Gon,Vash,Ryuko(?),Index(LOL),kirito(.,l,.) most of them is not even main character. but yes we all know goku is what oda based his character from, but there is so much more differences between them unlike Natsu who is clearly based of on luffy on NEARLY EVERYTHING! and the fact that mashima isnt even saying it is bs.

2. You are really just FORCING everything that you know about OP to be a TORPE, but how the hell can you say that OP is not really unique in itself but most of the anime's that you referenced off to came out after OP.
1. No, you asked me to list characters that fit those common tropes, and so, that's exactly what I did. Just because they don't act according the same trope in the exact way Natsu/Luffy do, doesn't mean they aren't valid examples of said tropes. Also, how did I not list mostly main characters? Pretty much all those which I listed are either the primary or secondary main characters of their shows, lol.

2. Wait, where did I ever say One Piece is not really unique in itself? I never even said that in any of my posts. Although, it's true that it's nothing unique. It's just about a kid embarking on a grand adventure in search for the greatest treasure, and making friends along the way. However, a lack of originality is not even a bad thing. If the only thing that would make a show great was originality, then you might as well quit watching anime altogether.

mawhulk said:
Luffy ate devilfruit which gave him RARE power but gave a ridiculous side effect of not being able to swim.
Natsu learned of Dragonslaying a RARE magic but eversince then, it gave him motion sickness for some reason.

Luffy got the devilfruit from Shanks.
Natsu Learned Dragonslaying from Igneel.

Shanks left luffy.
Igneel Left Natsu.

Shanks gave him his Hat.
Igneel gave him a scarf.

Eversince then Luffy Trained his Hardest to be the Pirate King and MEET SHANKS AGAIN.
Eversince then Natsu Trained his Hardest to be the STRONGEST MAGE and MEET IGNEEL AGAIN.
You see similarities where I see differences:

-Natsu was taught rare magic.
-Luffy ate rare fruit to obtain his powers.
(Not to mention that both their powers are completely different from each other.)

-Natsu received his powers from a dragon.
-Luffy received his powers from something given to him by a human.

-Igneel actually never left Natsu, but sealed himself inside of Natsu to prevent Natsu from turning into a dragon by his own magic.
-I have no idea why Shanks left Luffy, but I can't imagine it being the reason as Igneel's, so there you go.

-Natsu's scarf would serve as a memory of Igneel who knew he couldn't stay by Natsu's side forever.
-Shank's hat was actually part of his attire before giving it to Luffy. I'm not going to pretend I know the full details on their backstory, but the situation is different here.

-Natsu's goal has actually never been to become the strongest. Despite wanting to beat up every stronger member in his guild, he never actively trains to try to achieve that. Furthermore, he's never been shown to want to become the strongest outside his own guild. Natsu also hasn't been shown to actively search for Igneel after joining Fairy Tail.

mawhulk said:
[Now how often do you even see Luffy training? He's already considered very strong in his universe at the start of the series.

The only times he seriously trained was after being destroyed at Saboady(an island that is a tree) so they made a timeskip

The only times he seriously trained was after being destroyed at Tenrou Island(an island that is a tree) so theymade a timeskip and returned to the world stronger than before
I'm not going to speak for One Piece, as I'm not familiar with that part of its story, but let me ask you this:

-Was the tree island of similar importance to the Strawhat Crew as it was to Fairy Tail as a guild?
-Did the Strawhat Crew get blasted into oblivion by the most powerful foe in their universe and then reappear at some point in the future to make their timeskip?

Even if Fairy Tail is inspired by One Piece, its execution of many elements still makes it a far different show. Hence, why I much prefer Fairy Tail over One Piece - because though they share similarities and common themes, Fairy Tail executes them much better. And with that, I'm done here.
MilenninJun 5, 2016 7:29 AM
Jun 5, 2016 7:24 AM

Apr 2016
What the actual hell...they are nothing alike. Regardless it isn't like One Piece is even halfway original. xD

"Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time."
Jun 5, 2016 7:46 AM

Dec 2012
mawhulk said:

I guess One Piece ripped off Naruto then. Because it did first.

Defeated by Sasuke > time skip > Got stronger and went outside of the village.

All your arguments are filled with holes. Primarly Luffy and Natsu. How can Natsu be a rip off of a character that has little to no originality on it's own. Luffy is an obvious rip off of Goku.
Jun 5, 2016 8:13 AM
Jun 2016
Milennin said:

1. No, you asked me to list characters that fit those common tropes, and so, that's exactly what I did. Just because they don't act according the same trope in the exact way Natsu/Luffy do, doesn't mean they aren't valid examples of said tropes\

Exactly, you forcibly FIT those COMMON tropes in there even though they are not according to the same trope as in the EXACT way of Luffy/Natsu would do. and that's what make them different.. if you say that they are ENOUGH to be the same. then HOW SHALLOW IS OUR BASIS THEN? natsu is just inspired by ACE then? those side by side picture of FT and OP characters will be valid by your logic, and even i said it first that the artstyle is not what bothered me. so stop contradicting yourself.

Milennin said:

-Natsu was taught rare magic.
-Luffy ate rare fruit to obtain his powers.
(Not to mention that both their powers are completely different from each other.)

-Natsu received his powers from a dragon.
-Luffy received his powers from something given to him by a human.

My Respect for you just went out.. your logic just became so stupid.

its not the same because the power was EATEN and the other was TAUGHT?

its not the same because its a DRAGON and a HUMAN..

the timeskip was different because the tree is different and they didnt get blasted into oblivion by the most powerful foe in their universe? (lol how did you even know that)

I can smell your desperation all the way here.. its like saying "xbox is not a knock off of ps because its black and not white." your really just pointing out the minor details and went with it.. of course he would not just copy the whole thing that would be plain stupid. might as well say that its pirates and magicians so its different. lol
Jun 5, 2016 11:32 AM

May 2015
Mikasa said:

What? Isn't it before that?
Edit: Oh YYH obviously, my b.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 5, 2016 11:39 AM

Mar 2012
ashfrliebert said:
Mikasa said:

Yep. But they also both took some things from Hunter x Hunter as well.
End Zionazism
Jun 5, 2016 11:48 AM

Jan 2015
Mikasa said:
ashfrliebert said:

DBZ for sure, but Yu Yu Hakusho? I don't see it and HxH either. Bleach is the one that was inspired most by YYH I think.
Jun 5, 2016 11:50 AM

May 2015
Well anyhow, Fairy Tail is blatantly obvious on this, and plenty others too on Dragon-Ball inspiration taking, but every series has enough flaws by itself. I don't think being a ripoff is too big a problem. You wouldn't care, if the series was quality. :P
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 5, 2016 12:43 PM
Aug 2015
Yes it is, it is an undeniable fact, the same way that One Piece takes inspiration from JoJo and not Dragon Ball nor HxH (really? Oda a time traveler?) and not YYh is a fact.
But somehow people keep saying it's taking an inspiration from DB because Luffy eat a lot and so does Goku, so Luffy is Goku ripp-off and One Piece is DB ripp-off kind of brainless logic.
For you people information, Luffy is based on Kintaro, not Goku.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kintarō
Jun 5, 2016 12:49 PM

Mar 2012
Pyro said:
Mikasa said:

DBZ for sure, but Yu Yu Hakusho? I don't see it and HxH either. Bleach is the one that was inspired most by YYH I think.

There was a long discussion sometime ago where it was agreed that OP took inspirations from HxH as well. OP's first chapter coming out first doesn't mean he can't take things from already existing HxH chapters in a later installment, especially further down the line where Oda clearly runs out of ideas.
End Zionazism
Jun 5, 2016 12:53 PM

Apr 2014
Mikasa said:
Pyro said:

There was a long discussion sometime ago where it was agreed that OP took inspirations from HxH as well. OP's first chapter coming out first doesn't mean he can't take things from already existing HxH chapters in a later installment, especially further down the line where Oda clearly runs out of ideas.
lol, in which alternative world did exactly this happened? Lmao.
Jun 5, 2016 4:12 PM

Jan 2015
tr1ckst3r said:
Mikasa said:

lol, in which alternative world did exactly this happened? Lmao.
@Mikasa Are you sure you're not mixing up One Piece with Naruto? I just don't see Oda taking inspiration from HxH.

Care to list some examples?
Jun 5, 2016 4:17 PM

Apr 2016
We can argue that for a lot of shonen battle manga/anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 5, 2016 5:47 PM

Apr 2013
Fairy Tail is pretty bad so even if it is who cares?
Jun 5, 2016 10:01 PM

Feb 2016
One piece no matter how simillar to Fairy Tail ..... or fairy tail no matter how simillar to One piece can never be a rip off because fairy tail shows the aspects that one piece can never show.... fairy tail is generally better in every way, art story dialogues spirit feelers and even fillers so a rip off cant generally be better than the parent anime so this proves fairy tail is not a rip off especially of one piece.
Jun 5, 2016 11:33 PM

Oct 2013
Gildarts look somewhat similar to Shanks but there's no way I see Natsu being similar to Luffy. I don't think Erza is a rip-off though. She's the only character in Fairy Tail who I liked and haven't seen anywhere else.
Jun 6, 2016 1:42 PM

Dec 2014
nope I dont think so... that fanservice sometimes is more prominent in Fairy tail...

Did you see the New Fairy taill OVA..... released just recently....!!!!
Jul 11, 2016 11:20 AM

Jul 2015
This thread is cancer...
Watch them both and make an opinion by yourselves.

- Goals on the MCs are way different. Luffy wants to become the "best" by finding a "special something", while Natsu wants to protect his guild at any cost and just maybe become the master of it.
- Art is by no mean the same... not even similar. lol. Neither is character/world design.
- Natsu is not even the most powerfull of his guild, lot of times he just beats his enemies because of the "Power of Friendship".
- The mugiwaras are almost allways there with Luffy, while the Fairy Tail's roster for every arc changes every time.
- Most important is: Do NOT mistake Tribute with Rip Off. Gildarts, Hoteye from Oracion Seis are no-brainer tributes. Think about this, do they really need that appearance to be what they are?.

Rip offs/Plagiarism can only be applied in case of PLOT. If anything, Fairy Tail is a lot more similar to Naruto yet they are not the same.
Apollo_MadaoJul 11, 2016 12:12 PM
I'll fade away and classify myself as obsolete!
Obsolete!!
Dec 14, 2017 9:28 AM

Feb 2011

The character designs have always looked oddily similar (not all of the above fit closely though) and the similarity in the characters dates back to Rave, which was the previous manga of Mashima before Fairy tail.
At least the similarity did stop at the character designs.

(one year since the last post, I doubt this thread will ever truly die)

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Dec 14, 2017 9:48 AM

Aug 2015
While i dislike fairy tail, and how it ripped off some character designs from one piece, the things you mention are so general and common place that it cant be called stealing. So no, not at the core, then its not a rip off.
Feb 28, 2019 12:42 AM
Mar 2018
The older version of shanks had no similarities with gildarts. The redrawn/reanimated version of shanks that appeared in marineford had that resemblance. But gildarts first appeared in FT manga chapter 166 which was published in Jan 11,2010 but the redrawn shanks appeared in March 23,2010. That means gildarts had that facial design first. So, if anyone is accused of ripoff, it would be One Piece, not Fairy Tail.
Sep 1, 2019 11:55 AM
Jul 2018
KingOriax said:
Fairy Tail is pretty bad so even if it is who cares?

That's your opinion

Just as my opinion of One Piece is the One Piece series turned bad after Base Form Luffy vs Kaido's Dragon form
Fairy Tail is good and is much better than One Piece now that Fairy Tail 100 Years Quest the canon sequel manga has come to replace One Piece

The Original Fairy Tail until Alvarez Second half is Epicness
Fairy Tail 100 Years Quest has by far Surpassing One Piece given it a matter of time One Piece will be turned to dust

( That's coming from a big One Piece Fan me )

One Piece stopped being taken serious after Luffy vs Katakuri's Plot Armor battle
All this buildup for Snake man just for a oneshot?
that's laughable

I expected more from G4 Snakeman
Luffy ( SHOULD HAD ) mastered Observation Haki
since that 2 year Time Skip
But the series took Step backs making the whole
2 Years of Training meaningless

When Team Natsu went for a 1 Year of Training Time Skip
They showed results ( NO ) Step backs

And now the sequel manga took place after once more 1 Year
After the events of Alverez Empire they showed new attacks
They trained again ( With no Step backs )

I still have hope for One Piece to redeem itself but as things are now I doubt it
That's my opinion and the truth

Are you seriously telling me a Base Form Luffy beating Kaido's Dragon Form ( WHO is supposed to be undefeatable ) without any problems? One Piece is 6 score from me because of this
And the whole Luffy vs Katakuri Plot Armor fight which was nothing but disappointment
removed-userSep 1, 2019 12:06 PM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1109 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Yesterday

45 by Kanelbullar »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1062 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AhriTheS3xyFox - May 20, 2023

333 by PsyBRYsp »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1061 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

AhriTheS3xyFox - May 6, 2023

219 by PsyBRYsp »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 47 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Chelleee - Oct 6, 2008

61 by TheStarscream759 »»
2 hours ago

» Best backstory in One piece (spoilers till ep 985)

Reckless_weeb - Jun 15

29 by omana »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.