Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 22, 2009 3:10 PM

Feb 2009
Is Fairy Tail Is A Rip Off Of One piece:

The Art is the same , the special type animals are the same , natsu is luffy(they look amazingly alike ), they both take care of their nakama (fellow mates) or friends .

What do u think?

Check Mate
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 22, 2009 3:12 PM

Apr 2009
ShadowRebellion said:

The Art is the same , the special type animals are the same , natsu is luffy(they look amazingly alike ), they both take care of their nakama (fellow mates) or friends .

What do u think?

Check Mate

It is probably Oda experimenting.
Sep 22, 2009 6:06 PM
Apr 2008
No, it isn't. It may be inspired in part by One Piece, but just because two different things have similar elements doesn't make one a rip-off of the other.
Sep 22, 2009 6:20 PM

Apr 2009
ShadowRebellion said:

What do u think?

Check Mate

What, that's all you can come up with and you think they're the same? Do you believe that the moon landing was filmed in a hanger in arizona? Do you think Obama wasn't actually born in the US?
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Sep 22, 2009 6:27 PM
Aug 2007
Yeah . . . no. Not really.
Sep 22, 2009 6:30 PM

Apr 2009
Do you think that we could tap into the Schumann resonance and create a subconcious world-wide human network?
Sep 22, 2009 6:51 PM

Jul 2009
Haven't seen FT, though I've heard that comparison a lot
Sep 23, 2009 12:29 AM

Apr 2009
its not a rip off. but they are 70 % The same )
they were just both friends and students of Akira...

anyway fairy tail its far from OP... the action/fights sux there >_>
Sep 23, 2009 6:57 AM

Feb 2008
They share many similar ideas or themes, and they have somewhat similar character arch-types, but that does not make FT a rip-off. It's not as good as One Piece, but it is a pretty good shounen series.
Sep 23, 2009 7:20 AM

Dec 2007
Nothing can be as good as One Piece
If Fairy Tail had to be a rip-off from a manga, it would be Hiro Mashima's previous work, Rave (or groove master rave)
Many of the characters of basically identical, and some of the things that happen are nearly copied picture by picture, but both are quite cool in their own way

My Claims:
Sep 23, 2009 7:37 AM

Apr 2009
Edit: wrong thread.
Sep 23, 2009 8:23 PM

Mar 2009
Has Fairy Tail even aired yet?

And I hope it is a rip-off or something similar to One Piece, because I love One Piece XD

Sep 24, 2009 4:00 AM

Apr 2009
Heroik said:
Has Fairy Tail even aired yet?

6 october i think
Oct 22, 2011 6:28 PM
Oct 2011
Fairy Tail comes out dubbed by Funimation in November. Can't wait I will be getting this series along with season 4 of One Piece.
Oct 22, 2011 6:33 PM

Feb 2011
smokes said:
its not a rip off. but they are 70 % The same )
they were just both friends and students of Akira...

anyway fairy tail its far from OP... the action/fights sux there >_>

Yea, I agree. Fairy tail is way too dramatic, rofl... I hate when its compared to one piece because I just don't see it. Fairy Tail is a major drag and its very stupid. I watch it just to watch something but its not very entertaining. Its very predictable and if anyone saw the last arc, I mean come on, lol. The fights were just, "I WONT GIVE UP" they get destroyed and suddenly become full of energy... i mean come on? seriously...
Oct 23, 2011 3:11 AM

Sep 2011
Not really.
It's more like a mix of all shonen cliches with a one piece-like art style so it's not really ripping off One Piece in particular.
Oct 23, 2011 3:29 AM
Nov 2008
The search for One Piece is just a glorified search for the Dragon Balls.
Oct 23, 2011 5:09 AM
Sep 2011
Modern nekketsu are rip-offs of Dragon Ball.
Oct 25, 2011 9:06 AM

Aug 2011
I noticed fairy tail takes a lot out of the structure of one piece, like how all the characters have a tragic past and how those past are revealed through an arc based on each character.
Nov 12, 2011 8:41 AM

May 2011
yes yes and yes
Oct 18, 2013 7:20 AM
May 2012
The necros...
Oct 19, 2013 8:14 AM
Feb 2012
If i remember correctly they both used to work with each other as assistent in some point of their careers. What looks like rip off might be just both influencing each other.
But yeah Mashima is basicly overdoing it hahaha
Oct 19, 2013 11:08 PM

Oct 2013
Clouseau said:
If i remember correctly they both used to work with each other as assistent in some point of their careers. What looks like rip off might be just both influencing each other.
But yeah Mashima is basicly overdoing it hahaha

Not, they never work together! Oda was Samurai X assistant, while Mashima was never an assistant in his life. Oda never went to any manga/art school(He quit in the first year of university and I believe it wasn't even in a manga/art course). Mashima I don't know,but probably went in some kind of manga school!.
Oct 19, 2013 11:11 PM

Oct 2013
I wouldn't call rip-off, but is certain that Mashima is in the limit of taking to much inspiration!

Note: Some examples are anime only, where nor Oda nor Mashima have part on it, so in that case people are saying that even the anime produces copy each other?
bigivelfhqOct 20, 2013 1:59 AM
Oct 19, 2013 11:15 PM
Aug 2012
Yeah I only thought the themes and characters were ripped off. Now that I'm taking a look at all these images I'm kinda convinced.
Oct 23, 2013 10:20 AM
Oct 2011
Fairy Tail does not even come close to how great One Piece is. One Piece is the best adventerous show ever around anime wise imo. It's one or the longest running anime period correct?

I recommend everyone go out and pick up the funimation dubbed dvd version. Their currently on season 5 voyage 3 of the FUnimation dubbed dvd version. Also I recommend everyone go pick up a copy of Michiko & Hatchin as well. It's by the same people that made Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo.

Also there is a comedy anime coming out in 2014 called Space Dandy that is supposed to me 80% comedy and 20% drama from the same people that made Cowboy Bebop.

God Bless
Jesus is everyone's best friend and savior
everyone get baptized so you can make it into the kingdom of heaven.
people read the Holy Bible it's a 100% real book
Oct 23, 2013 10:22 AM
Mar 2013
No, it's an improvement
Oct 25, 2013 8:45 AM

Oct 2013
LilKis1986 said:
Fairy Tail does not even come close to how great One Piece is. One Piece is the best adventerous show ever around anime wise imo. It's one or the longest running anime period correct?

I recommend everyone go out and pick up the funimation dubbed dvd version. Their currently on season 5 voyage 3 of the FUnimation dubbed dvd version. Also I recommend everyone go pick up a copy of Michiko & Hatchin as well. It's by the same people that made Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo.

Also there is a comedy anime coming out in 2014 called Space Dandy that is supposed to me 80% comedy and 20% drama from the same people that made Cowboy Bebop.

God Bless

One Piece is not even close of being the longer anime series running! Is at the 18 position(if you separate different seasons as different shows. Ex: Naruto being a different series than Naruto Shippuden), with series like:
Sazae-san - more than 2250 episodes
Doraemon - more than 1787 episodes
Anpanman - more than 1170 episodes
Chibi Maruko Chan - more than 980 episodes
Crayon Shin-Chan - more than 870 episodes
Detective Conan - more than 711 episodes
Ninja Hattori - more than 690 episodes

One Piece has only 617 episodes.
Oct 25, 2013 8:59 AM

Nov 2010
bigivelfhq said:
LilKis1986 said:

God Bless

One Piece is not even close of being the longer anime series running! Is at the 18 position(if you separate different seasons as different shows. Ex: Naruto being a different series than Naruto Shippuden), with series like:
Sazae-san - more than 2250 episodes
Doraemon - more than 1787 episodes
Anpanman - more than 1170 episodes
Chibi Maruko Chan - more than 980 episodes
Crayon Shin-Chan - more than 870 episodes
Detective Conan - more than 711 episodes
Ninja Hattori - more than 690 episodes

One Piece has only 617 episodes.
18 out of 10,000 is pretty high up. I at least wouldn't jump on him for saying it is one of the longest running anime because it basically is.
Oct 25, 2013 9:01 AM

Jun 2013
Rip-off or not, doesn't make any difference. One Piece still shits on Fairy Tail in terms of story and characters. A heavy shit I say.
Gutalala ~~ sudalala

"It would be great to live as a human"
-Meruem, King of the Ants
Oct 25, 2013 11:27 AM
Mar 2013
seikipunch said:
Rip-off or not, doesn't make any difference. One Piece still shits on Fairy Tail in terms of story and characters. A heavy shit I say.

hahaha, good joke
Oct 25, 2013 11:35 AM

Dec 2012
seikipunch said:

That's not much of an accomplishment. Mashima isn't even trying.
Oct 25, 2013 11:40 AM
Aug 2013
They are similar like all battle anime but I cant give one piece credit for having many original things to be ripped off in the first place :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 25, 2013 12:28 PM

Jun 2013
CeeTwo said:
They are similar like all battle anime but I cant give one piece credit for having many original things to be ripped off in the first place :)

Pirates.

Now that's one.
Gutalala ~~ sudalala

Oct 25, 2013 4:07 PM
Oct 2011
tsudecimo said:
seikipunch said:

Exactly. Mashima is just doing a cheap copy-paste job, and getting all the money.
Oct 26, 2013 12:47 PM

Jul 2011
Candor said:
tsudecimo said:
seikipunch said:

Exactly. Mashima is just doing a cheap copy-paste job, and getting all the money.

the fanservice explains everything
Oct 26, 2013 3:01 PM
Mar 2013
ainky said:
Candor said:
tsudecimo said:
seikipunch said:

the fanservice explains everything

The ignorance is strong in this thread.
Fairy Tail is tagged as an ecchi manga so of course it's going to have fan-service
Oct 26, 2013 3:05 PM

Nov 2010
JD2411 said:
Fairy Tail is tagged as an ecchi manga so of course it's going to have fan-service
You must be ignorant. It being tagged as an ecchi means it will have ecchi not fanservice. Fanservice is something that doesn't need to be there but is there to service the fans, it doesn't have to be sexual. So if they see some of the ecchi scenes as fanservice, that means they see them as unnecessary, which is a valid criticism. Also the anime doesn't have the ecchi tag.
Oct 26, 2013 3:52 PM

Dec 2012
I started up One Piece immediately after I caught up on Fairy Tail, and I'll admit back then I was noticing striking similarities - although not for the reasons you've mentioned. Mainly it was the themes and story structure that made me start to see FT in a negative light. I recently got around to finally finishing FT and although it seems fairly apparent that it was influenced by OP, Fairy Tail just seems more like a typical, run of the mill battle shounen than a blatant rip-off. I still prefer OP leagues above FT, but I'll at least acknowledge that FT has its own thing going for it.

Although Shanks to Gildarts always makes me laugh, that one is way too obvious.
Oct 26, 2013 4:14 PM
Mar 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
JD2411 said:
You must be ignorant. It being tagged as an ecchi means it will have ecchi not fanservice. Fanservice is something that doesn't need to be there but is there to service the fans, it doesn't have to be sexual. So if they see some of the ecchi scenes as fanservice, that means they see them as unnecessary, which is a valid criticism. Also the anime doesn't have the ecchi tag.

I don't know what you're trying to say. Ecchi=Fan service. If a manga is an ecchi it will have fan service. Going into an ecchi manga/anime and not expecting pantyshots and boobs is stupid.
The anime is obviously going to contain some fanservice since it's adapted from an ecchi manga. There is a lot less than there is in the manga though.
Oct 26, 2013 4:20 PM

May 2013
Fairy Tail > One Piece. Basically none of the big three is really that good.
Oct 26, 2013 4:36 PM

Nov 2010
JD2411 said:
IntroverTurtle said:
JD2411 said:

I don't know what you're trying to say. Ecchi=Fan service. If a manga is an ecchi it will have fan service. Going into an ecchi manga/anime and not expecting pantyshots and boobs is stupid.
The anime is obviously going to contain some fanservice since it's adapted from an ecchi manga. There is a lot less than there is in the manga though.
Ecchi =/= fanservice. Fanservice is often sexual fanservice but it can be violence, comedy, the appearence of a character, explosions, etc as long as it's something added to please the fans. It is not only sexual and an anime can be an ecchi or even a hentai but not have any fanservice as long as the sexual things are relevant to the story or purpose of the anime. While it would be hard to find some like that, they can and do exist.

And to a point, someone can go into a comedy anime expecting comedy but not like the comedy or how it is used in that particular anime, it's basically the same. That it has ecchi doesn't seem like valid criticism, but saying there's too much or you don't like how it was used works. And like I said someone viewing Fairy Tail's anime page wouldn't know that it's an ecchi because that tag is only on the manga. People don't check the manga tags of anime they are going to watch as if the anime is a direct adaptation then it would have the same and if things were changed then it may not. There are some anime and manga where because of their differences one tag would fit in one but not the other. I've even heard that the anime cut out some ecchi in the beginning(maybe why it doesn't have the tag) but then added more later on in the series(like the bikini contest in the tournament).

Crassa said:
Can't tell if you're serious. With Naruto as your favorite manga rated at a 10(aka masterpiece) and the two Naruto series rated at 8s(aka very good). And how much have you watched of One Piece?

IntroverTurtleOct 26, 2013 4:43 PM
Oct 26, 2013 4:40 PM

Jul 2011
Seikon no Qwaser > Fairy Tail
Oct 27, 2013 10:45 AM

Jun 2013
Crassa said:

Fairy Tail > One Piece when it comes to pointless boobshots.
Gutalala ~~ sudalala

Oct 27, 2013 1:15 PM
Mar 2013
seikipunch said:
Crassa said:

Fairy Tail was adapted from an ecchi manga so it's only natural that it will contain some fanservice.
Offer a valid criticism or stop shitposting
Oct 28, 2013 2:45 AM

Apr 2011
JD2411 said:
seikipunch said:
Crassa said:

Fairy Tail was adapted from an ecchi manga so it's only natural that it will contain some fanservice.
Offer a valid criticism or stop shitposting

I don't see how being ecchi means that pointless boobshots are justifiable. It's an action first, an ecchi second.... or at least, that was how it's supposed to be. Pointless boobshots are the only reason it's still alive.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hottest Woman in One Piece?

kian_lad20 - Sep 22

32 by Chris_Concept »»
3 hours ago

» One piece live action

OiJosuke_____ - Yesterday

19 by q00reo »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1092 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Jan 27

61 by Atlas77 »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1091 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Jan 20

69 by Atlas77 »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1120 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Sep 21

41 by MasterK »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.