Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think that MAl needs to change it's perception of webtoons?

New
Aug 22, 2019 5:28 PM
Dec 2018
On many sites japanese manga is not even in the top 50 anymore(except for One Piece) for the most viewed/liked/payed(donated) shows overall. It's mostly about webtoons/manhwa/manhua nowadays.

Even the most popular mangas which are there for decades don't even stand a chance against newly released webtoons in terms of popularity or renew.

And the only thing why they don't get an entry is because they have no physical release.

It does feel really wierd that most of the top notch webtoons are not on the site because it's not printed and it does not make any sense at all.

They really need to change their view on webtoons otherwise even more people will switch to other sites.
Aug 22, 2019 5:55 PM

May 2018
Which sites are you talking about? From what I see, Japanese manga still dominating in all sites I seen.
Aug 22, 2019 5:59 PM
Jul 2019
I think this site is fine as it is, content wise. Webtoons have separate sites that cater to their fans....
Aug 22, 2019 6:10 PM

Apr 2017
No

Weebtons aren't an official thing. I mean is like doing a drawing and then post it on twitter. It's not serialized. It's not an official product with a company behind it.

So I wouldn't add them to the database.
Aug 22, 2019 6:13 PM

Jan 2011
No, webtoon beggars just need to fuck off.
Aug 22, 2019 6:18 PM

Oct 2017
Abso-fucking-lutely not.

MAL is site for fans of Japanese manga and anime. You're saying the site should change what it's about to suit whatever is most popular? What sort of dumb logic is that? The goal of MAL isn't to cater to as many people as possible. It is to cater to a certain type of fan. If the shit you want to shove down our throats is really that popular then there will be sites that pop up focued on that content and you can go there.

What sort of arrogant prick do you have to be to go on to a site made for fans of something and tell them something else is more popular so they should be fans of that thing too?

How about fuck off.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Aug 22, 2019 6:20 PM

Apr 2018
I'm not really that informed on webtoons, so forgive me if I'm saying no sense, but isn't the definition of webtoon rather...broad? I mean, aren't doujinshi webtoons as well, technically? Where do you draw the line?

Also would u mind naming a couple of the sites ur referring to? I'm not really too much into manga but that sounds unlikely to me.
vhagar8Aug 22, 2019 6:29 PM
Aug 22, 2019 6:26 PM

Apr 2018
YossaRedMage said:
Abso-fucking-lutely not.

MAL is site for fans of Japanese manga and anime. You're saying the site should change what it's about to suit whatever is most popular? What sort of dumb logic is that? The goal of MAL isn't to cater to as many people as possible. It is to cater to a certain type of fan. If the shit you want to shove down our throats is really that popular then there will be sites that pop up focued on that content and you can go there.

What sort of arrogant prick do you have to be to go on to a site made for fans of something and tell them something else is more popular so they should be fans of that thing too?

How about fuck off.

Korean and Chinese anine and manga are already on the site tho, why the implementation of Korean and Chinese webtoons bothers u that much?
I mean, I don't necessary agree with op myself, but your point doesn't make sense to me
vhagar8Aug 22, 2019 6:29 PM
Aug 22, 2019 6:30 PM

Jun 2014
No, but I think that all Chinese/Korean Animation and Manwha should be banned.

Aug 22, 2019 6:32 PM

Jul 2019
???

This site does contain digitally released manga/manhwa. I'm not sure if it contains all of them but there are some there for sure.

Also, popularity ranking does not mean quality ranking (not 100% true on MAL but you know what I mean) and I'll safely assume whatever site you use only ranks the most read webtoon/whatever.

I use Manga Rock (an app to download scans) and the top ranking contains a lot of only recent stuff that keeps publishing (and a lot of trashy isekai and shonen, lol) and a lot of mangas that aren't publishing just aren't prevalent on the platform compared to the more popular stuff.

Also complete your list, if this actually is your complete manga list, please read mangas that are in the top rankings of MAL because just ranting about wanting webtoons to overtake mangas without reading much is quite nonsensical.

I am not into webtoon and maybe there are some great ones out there, don't hesitate to recommend it to me, I'll be glad.
Aug 22, 2019 6:34 PM

May 2018
vhagar8 said:
I'm not really that informed on webtoons, so forgive me if I'm saying no sense, but isn't the definition of webtoon rather...broad? I mean, aren't doujinshi webtoons as well, technically? Where do you draw the line?

Also would u mind naming a couple of the sites ur referring to? I'm not really too much into manga but that sounds unlikely to me.

I never seen any websites that show webtoon more dominating than Japanese nanga. Japanese manga still superior overall.
Aug 22, 2019 6:38 PM

Jul 2019
@YossaRedMage and @vhagar8 are right, the definition of webtoon really broad all the while manga is more precise and implementing webtoons to the site would make it lose it's MAL aspect which is for fans of anime/manga.
Aug 22, 2019 6:40 PM
Jul 2019
Kelraz said:
On many sites japanese manga is not even in the top 50 anymore(except for One Piece) for the most viewed/liked/payed(donated) shows overall. It's mostly about webtoons/manhwa/manhua nowadays.

Even the most popular mangas which are there for decades don't even stand a chance against newly released webtoons in terms of popularity or renew.

And the only thing why they don't get an entry is because they have no physical release.

It does feel really wierd that most of the top notch webtoons are not on the site because it's not printed and it does not make any sense at all.

They really need to change their view on webtoons otherwise even more people will switch to other sites.

You probably should have worded your question in a way that was less condensing of manga, on a manga/anime site. This thread is going to get ugly and they're gonna drag you.
Aug 22, 2019 6:42 PM

Mar 2016
Kuro_Neko04 said:
No

Weebtons aren't an official thing. I mean is like doing a drawing and then post it on twitter. It's not serialized. It's not an official product with a company behind it.

So I wouldn't add them to the database.

Your answer OP, As well as doujin too. BTW This is included in anime too, This is why many of 'touhou anime' which can be actually compete with anime that produced by professional in term of quality are not in this site because 'technically' they're not produced from professional. I prefer professional here for anime studio

Aug 22, 2019 7:04 PM

Jul 2019
@Mythologically thanks for clearing that up, I've been enlightened from my past ignorance.

@Kelraz also why put a manga thread on anime discussion, smh this is the second time it happens in 24h like wtf.
Aug 22, 2019 7:29 PM
Dec 2018
BiDiGiN said:

@Kelraz also why put a manga thread on anime discussion, smh this is the second time it happens in 24h like wtf.

My bad and I fel very sorry for the mod which kinda deleted around 20 posts. That was really not my intend.

I just would like to see more high quality webtoons approved by this site, - nothing more.

Once again dear mod who actually removed all of those posts. I am beyond sorry, I am rather sure you could use your time in a way more productive way.
Aug 22, 2019 7:42 PM

Sep 2014
Maybe hot take, but:
I'd much rater Mal focus on anime than webtoons or even manga for that matter.
Aug 22, 2019 8:36 PM

Nov 2011
This topic has been brought many times before, and the administrators still didn't want to change their mind (they had points though, their answers were something like they didn't know where to draw the line).
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 22, 2019 11:10 PM
Jul 2018
Mythologically said:
BiDiGiN said:
This site does contain digitally released manga/manhwa. I'm not sure if it contains all of them but there are some there for sure.

Webtoons need to also be "distributed in print by a reputable publishing company in the country of origin"

Many webtoons are also published in print. Probably the ones that are first drawn on paper and then scanned for the web.

@Gorochu

Either that or popularity also pushed demands for a paperback or hardcover release. I've seen it with web comic strips too.
removed-userAug 22, 2019 11:22 PM
Aug 22, 2019 11:19 PM

May 2018
petran79 said:
Mythologically said:

Webtoons need to also be "distributed in print by a reputable publishing company in the country of origin"

Many webtoons are also published in print. Probably the ones that are first drawn on paper and then scanned for the web.

You mean they were publish in physical copies and then got sold? First time I knew this even though I have 2 webtoon manhua as my favorite.

Anyway, as far as I'm concern, Japanese manga still superior than webtoons in general.
Papa_ScorchAug 23, 2019 9:30 AM
Aug 23, 2019 2:10 PM

Jul 2019
Kelraz said:
BiDiGiN said:

My bad and I fel very sorry for the mod which kinda deleted around 20 posts. That was really not my intend.

I just would like to see more high quality webtoons approved by this site, - nothing more.

Once again dear mod who actually removed all of those posts. I am beyond sorry, I am rather sure you could use your time in a way more productive way.

That's cool and all but now go read more manga and recommend me a webtoon, also which sites do you use to see the rankings? I'm 100% sure it's a popularity ranking.
Aug 23, 2019 2:46 PM

Aug 2015
Well Mal already has 'Noblesse' and 'girls of the wild' in there database So, i don't see any problem in them including other webtoons too, but for years i have asked them to include TOG yet,they didn't do it, so the chance of them to include newer webtoon is slim

P.s,i would love to see Solo leveling and TOG in Mal
Aug 23, 2019 3:31 PM

Jun 2017
Nah, use mangaupdates or Anime-Planet or something. But they aren't actually that popular
Aug 23, 2019 3:43 PM

Jun 2016
It's possible that this happens because most get no physical release and the ones that get can't compare to japanese comics in terms of popularity. It's very rare to see korean or chinese comics in the comic book stores I frequent, only ones that are drawn conventionally and they are released in a conventional manga format.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 23, 2019 3:58 PM

May 2018
Some guys just can't stop jumping on every hype train they encounter.

If those very very very popular webtoons/manhwas/manhuas are anything like the popular manga I don't want to have nothing to do with them.

100% of the time I would prefer something that interests me as story and art - for example western independent web comics like:

Gaia and Sandra And Woo
Galaxion
Girl Genius
Paranatural
Stand Still. Stay Silent
Unsounded
ect

Those are pretty popular tho just not that hyped, also pretty good so they deserve their fame which is not result of some fad.
Aug 23, 2019 5:52 PM

Mar 2015
vhagar8 said:
YossaRedMage said:
Abso-fucking-lutely not.

How about fuck off.

Korean and Chinese anine and manga are already on the site tho, why the implementation of Korean and Chinese webtoons bothers u that much?
I mean, I don't necessary agree with op myself, but your point doesn't make sense to me

There are no Chinese or Korean "manga" on the site. Chinese and Korean animes are on the site because they are made by Japanese studio.
The world is not beautiful. Therefore, it is.
Aug 23, 2019 6:52 PM

Apr 2018
johnbradshaw said:
vhagar8 said:

There are no Chinese or Korean "manga" on the site. Chinese and Korean animes are on the site because they are made by Japanese studio.

https://myanimelist.net/topmanga.php?type=manhwa
https://myanimelist.net/topmanga.php?type=manhua

Aug 23, 2019 10:42 PM
Jul 2019
Yes, but they should separate both anime and manga from webtoons. It is because webtoons are like light novelz that they are in a different world and they both have different kind of art and way of making u understand the story.
Aug 23, 2019 11:06 PM

Oct 2016
I'd like it if they would but keep in mind this site is owned by a japanese company so they will promote mostly professional content through legal platforms, not independent stuff made by nobodies on some random site.
Aug 23, 2019 11:58 PM

Jun 2011
madarchod said:
Ditto to this. Solo Leveling is basically the hottest webtoon right now, it's totally dominating the page views on sites like

Would love to have webtoons added to the site so I don't have to use the blog here to note down the chapters read, or my thoughts on the series etc.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Aug 24, 2019 7:10 AM

Aug 2015
ToG25thBaam said:
madarchod said:
Ditto to this. Solo Leveling is basically the hottest webtoon right now, it's totally dominating the page views on sites like

Would love to have webtoons added to the site so I don't have to use the blog here to note down the chapters read, or my thoughts on the series etc.

It's currently the most popular webtoon on every major site,even beating other famous japanese mangas,if it was published in japan, than it would have already gotten an anime adaption

More topics from this board

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 24 minutes ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
38 seconds ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 38 minutes ago

12 by Ratris_Decision »»
2 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - Yesterday

8 by VeryRedBags »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - 1 hour ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
4 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 1 hour ago

9 by Alexioos95 »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.