Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Aug 14, 2019 6:36 PM

May 2015
vhagar8 said:
HopefulNihilist said:

I have to agree with @ChainxBastard. Maybe if Vinland Saga was set in our period, I'd understand your point more @vhagar8, but it's not. It's set in an era where honor means a lot. I think we should think of it this way:
Thorfinn witnessed his father being dishonorably killed in front of him, when he was a child. This hammers in the, "honor > everything" point in his mind. You're right in that it's stupid that he's willing to do so much to kill Askeladd (participate in pillaging, killing people, etc). Yet, in a twisted way, dishonorably avenging his father crosses that line. Because, as @ChainxBastard has said, from Thorfinn's perspective, he'd be no better than Askeladd.

No really. His father was a coward who refused to kill people and ran away from the battlefield, he was literally the dishonor of vikings himslef, he didn't deserve to be treated with honor but to be killed like a dog. If thorfinn really cared about vikings morals, he'd piss on his father tomb.
But I'm the one projecting my morals on the story...
Whenever his porpose is to avenge his father or to honor his memory, it's done poorly

What you're saying is complete nonsense.

Aug 14, 2019 8:20 PM

Apr 2018
Seein Thorfinn grow up was great as well as his fighting skills. That women who took him in really breaks my heart. Seeing that comb broken on the floor hit me right in the fells.
Aug 14, 2019 10:17 PM

Mar 2018
oof, finally feeling for thorfinn
{\_/}
(•~•)

{\_/}
( •-•)

{\_/}
( – _ -)
Aug 14, 2019 10:51 PM
Feb 2016
vhagar8 said:
HopefulNihilist said:

I have to agree with @ChainxBastard. Maybe if Vinland Saga was set in our period, I'd understand your point more @vhagar8, but it's not. It's set in an era where honor means a lot. I think we should think of it this way:
Thorfinn witnessed his father being dishonorably killed in front of him, when he was a child. This hammers in the, "honor > everything" point in his mind. You're right in that it's stupid that he's willing to do so much to kill Askeladd (participate in pillaging, killing people, etc). Yet, in a twisted way, dishonorably avenging his father crosses that line. Because, as @ChainxBastard has said, from Thorfinn's perspective, he'd be no better than Askeladd.

No really. His father was a coward who refused to kill people and ran away from the battlefield, he was literally the dishonor of vikings himslef, he didn't deserve to be treated with honor but to be killed like a dog. If thorfinn really cared about vikings morals, he'd piss on his father tomb.
Whenever his porpose is to avenge his father or to honor his memory, it's done poorly

Yea, you're a lost cause. I wish there was a way for a mod to see your idiotic posts and to disable your right to vote or rate anime on the site and to block your posts in general.

Stupidity runs rampant on this site. Either that or you're a troll.

I'm glad that other people know how dumb you sound.
Aug 15, 2019 3:22 AM
Apr 2016
ChainxBastard said:
vhagar8 said:

Yea, you're a lost cause. I wish there was a way for a mod to see your idiotic posts and to disable your right to vote or rate anime on the site and to block your posts in general.

He is right though. If we look at it from the prevalent viking morality of the dark ages, then Thors was a disgrace and Thorfinn should not have wanted to avenge him. However idiotic his input is, he is right that from a standpoint of logic, neither Thors nor Thorfinn were generic vikings.
Re:formed
Aug 15, 2019 3:50 AM

Apr 2018
ChainxBastard said:
vhagar8 said:

I wish there was a way to filter the quotes and not get notified if the comment is this worthless
Yeah u don't always get what u wish :/
vhagar8Aug 15, 2019 3:56 AM
Aug 15, 2019 5:37 AM

Jan 2011
vhagar8 said:

You're right, you've just pointed out one of the contradicting plots for Thorfinn in this story. BUT there's an actual reason for that.
Believe me, the author did this on purpose. It ties in to the overall arching theme the author has for this story.

Aug 15, 2019 6:00 AM
Feb 2016
Daniel_Naumov said:
ChainxBastard said:

He is right though. If we look at it from the prevalent viking morality of the dark ages, then Thors was a disgrace and Thorfinn should not have wanted to avenge him. However idiotic his input is, he is right that from a standpoint of logic, neither Thors nor Thorfinn were generic vikings.

You can't be serious.

Thors didn't die in a drunken stupor and got stabbed to death by a drunk thug at a pub. He died PROTECTING his son AND his village AFTER he had been DISHONORABLY killed in a duel THAT HE HAD WON.

Thorfinn is avenging him TO RECLAIM HIS FATHER'S HONOR.
Aug 15, 2019 8:08 AM
Aug 2018
elementex said:
tiwibo said:

So, you're defending your "original" opinion on a frustratingly generic anime with corner cutting effort - though there are currently 726 users who voted 10/10. So "original" I must say. That's already funnier than the whole show. Also, the fact that Vinland Saga's lack of waifus is your idea of an "original" criticism means that being original doesn't necessarily mean good. So, don't pride yourself on having "original" opinions every time.

I understand it has faults, I could easily drop it to 8 or 9, but with all the 1 bombers dropping the show under a 6 just because it's isekai I have to stay at 10 to combat that.

I guess we can expect more alt accounts of you balancing Vinland Saga with 1s😂
Aug 15, 2019 9:04 AM

Jul 2016
Very sad, I see it'll be a very heartbreaking and strong story.
Aug 15, 2019 9:20 AM

Aug 2019
Short_Circut said:
Black_Sheep97 said:
The cgi wasnt that bad jesus christ

Yeah....no. Just look at the battle between the Danes vs. English in the daytime. That was like Overlord S3 level cgi lel

Allow me to introduce you to shield heros cgi soldiers. You'll appreciate Vinland CGI soldiers more when you look at the unfinished cgi models of shield hero soldiers. Seriously those things looked like atrocious clay models and were dropping frames mad hard.
Byleth-KunAug 15, 2019 9:46 AM
Aug 15, 2019 9:45 AM
Apr 2016
ChainxBastard said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

You can't be serious.

Thors didn't die in a drunken stupor and got stabbed to death by a drunk thug at a pub. He died PROTECTING his son AND his village AFTER he had been DISHONORABLY killed in a duel THAT HE HAD WON.

Thorfinn is avenging him TO RECLAIM HIS FATHER'S HONOR.

That might be true, but then again, this is not because Thorfinn is a hardboiled viking, he is a son of an enlightened viking who brought Thorfinn up with morals extremely deviating from the general understanding of world at that time. You can say Thors was living in 2000 when everyone else was rotting in 1000. From the Thorfinns viewpoint, Thors is a hero. From the viewpoing of mainstream viking philosophy, Thors is a coward and a traitor to his people, and Thorfinn is a stupid brat. Perspective, my men, perspective.
Aug 15, 2019 9:50 AM

Aug 2019
People have their own tastes on what they think about the series, but me personally, I'm loving every minute of it, the slow build up helps a ton especially for me. I'm refraining as hard as I can to score this piece of artwork from just six episodes alone as I don't give a score until I'm either finished with a anime or the animes air time ends cause something might change in the series that I either love or hate for it.
Aug 15, 2019 5:29 PM

Jan 2019
Mythologically said:
This is beginning to rival Dr. Stone for the title of "hardest to believe show of the season". The little kid can kill professional soldiers because he is the main character 😎.

It's also beginning to rival Arifureta for worst CGI of the season. For having pretty good animation and art, the CGI is pathetic.

I'll give this a couple more episodes, but so far even the action scenes have bored me to death.

I understand that you don't like these kind of narratives, but comparing this CGI to Arifureta? Don't you think that's a little bit of an overreaction?
Arifureta literally looks like they just took assets out of a PS1 game and shove it in your face. Vinland Saga, while not the best and quite noticeable, utilises it well through using it for ships and oceans. 3D CGI characters are not even that bad, plus they are used for long distant shots instead of in your face which I appreciate.
They are using it appropriately from my perspective, regardless of the quality. Calm down.
Aug 15, 2019 6:19 PM
Jun 2017
thorfinn sure did is improving better at his fighting skills, his agility is what he is using to kill his enemies...

well lets see what will happen in the next episode,
Aug 15, 2019 8:08 PM
Jan 2019
Good episode We saw the evolution in Thorfinn's fighting, or killing, abilities. From his first murder, being a Viking, there is no turning back. Thorfinn's cruel and vindictive life continues.

I felt very sorry for the grandmother who saved and healed Thorfinn 😢. DAMN! They have no mercy, but so are the damn wars.
Aug 16, 2019 6:07 AM

Mar 2018
@vhagar8 He was a legendary warrior who after years of accomplishments decided to desert and live a ordinary life. The Jomsvikings want him back because of his skills, but he gets a price on his head in secrecy.

He was ready to get back on the battlefield so please tell me who exactly in the story should believe he's a coward? He protected everyone without killing in the ambush, he understood before the duel began he had to give his life up so his son and crew could survive.

You already admitted to literally not understanding the story in all of your replies, what makes you think you can call anything poor?

@Daniel_Naumov Thorfinn didn't even know his dad's background? He got killed on his way to the battlefield in his perspective? And Thorfinn like everyone else believed in the code of Vikings, he grew up with kids and teens who wanted to kill and die in war. Thors never achieved to teach his son his own ways.

Edit: Actually I'm not sure how much Thorfinn knew about his dad's deserting. Either way due to how the story progressed it doesn't make sense to say Thorfinn shouldn't want to avenge him

@ChainxBastard lmao
EsquirtitAug 16, 2019 6:24 AM
poop
Aug 16, 2019 6:56 AM

Dec 2013
Well, this kids fighting got deadly really quick. I like his character progression but it feels like we skipped over a lot of interesting points.
Aug 16, 2019 7:55 AM

Apr 2018
@Esquirtit ready to get back on the battlefield lmao.
To do what exactly? What use has a warrior who does not kill on a battlefield? He was about to betray the Vikings once again
And anyway the very fact that he refused to kill is opponent in a duel was already a betrayal of everything the Vikings believed in. And don't even try to say, "he was trying to take the safest route for his son to survive" because that's straight up bullshit. The reason he refused to kill was because of his morals and that's as clear as day.
And protecting everyone without killing isn't an honor in the Vikings society.
Stop projecting your goddamn moral in another society, goddammit
Aug 16, 2019 8:14 AM
Apr 2016
Esquirtit said:

@Daniel_Naumov Thorfinn didn't even know his dad's background? He got killed on his way to the battlefield in his perspective? And Thorfinn like everyone else believed in the code of Vikings, he grew up with kids and teens who wanted to kill and die in war. Thors never achieved to teach his son his own ways.

Edit: Actually I'm not sure how much Thorfinn knew about his dad's deserting. Either way due to how the story progressed it doesn't make sense to say Thorfinn shouldn't want to avenge him

Nonono I never said that, besides Thors attempted to talk some sense into Thorfinn from time to time. For example, the last one was when he told him there are no enemies in the world. From Thorfinn's viewpoint his father was a great man and unjust, cowardly execution he got, in Thorfinn's eyes, is deserving of avenging. But Thorfinn does not know everything there is, and to other vikings who accustomed to Thors' past, Thors is (mostly, Askeladd is not a dirty viking dog, noble blood runs in his veins) a pathetic traitor and unworthy of being a viking, and, thus, living.
There is no reason for Thorfinn to avenge Thors, but Thorfinn is just a stupid kid and his father meant the world to him. I am not anyhow questioning one stupid brat trying to take revenge for his father. It's 1000 A.D. chances are 99% people were uncultured imbeciles. What I was trying to say previously is that, if we consider this a historic work, based on realistic context of that time (which is highly contestable seeing how Thors throws people around with slaps and Thorfinn surviving 10 soldiers and a hunger), Thors got what was coming for him, for refusing vikings basic philosophy and being too enlightened for his time. Motivations and behaviour of people make perfect sense so far. The portrayal of combat and survival... meh. But the former is enough for me to keep staying hopeful for this series.
RealMTL said:
Well, this kids fighting got deadly really quick. I like his character progression but it feels like we skipped over a lot of interesting points.

Like, forgive me for paying attention to discussions on this forum, what??
Aug 16, 2019 8:30 AM

Feb 2019
And...the perfection continues!

We get to see the struggle Thorfinn face with the vikings. It was both exciting and heartbreaking to watch.

I actually shouted at Thorfinn's fight in the winter woods. Fucking glorious.
Thorfinn looks really cute when the old lady brushed his hair. She is one hell of a good person, still trying to hide Thorfinn even if she knows his true identity.

My boi Thorfinn reminds his past and family. But realizes he have to move on and have no time to feel emphaty in the path he's walking now.

Aug 16, 2019 8:51 AM

May 2015
vhagar8 said:
To do what exactly? What use has a warrior who does not kill on a battlefield? He was about to betray the Vikings once again
And anyway the very fact that he refused to kill is opponent in a duel was already a betrayal of everything the Vikings believed in. And don't even try to say, "he was trying to take the safest route for his son to survive" because that's straight up bullshit. The reason he refused to kill was because of his morals and that's as clear as day.
1. he doesn't need to kill his opponent, he's strong enough to defeat everyone without killing one vs one.
2.even if he killed askeladd everyone would have attack thors and the others to avenge him,with archers too,and thorfinn would have been killed since he can't protect everyone while he fights,he's not an idiot.
3.he accepted to go back on the batttlefield because if he didn't go the jomsvikings would attack the village for his desertion.
4.he knew from the start that that was all a set up to kill him for desertion.
5.askeladd respects him to the point he asked him to become the boss of his band and take thorfinn with him.
So he isn't a coward by any means,actually is the opposite he is a brave,intelligent and strong willed person,Floki is a coward,thors is a real warrior that respects and protects life without discrimination to anyone,he protects the life of his beloved ones without taking the life of others,even if that means to die to protect his family and his conpanions,you can think thats stupid but he isn't a coward,he is a coward from the perspective of a dumb viking,and that lead to his death because with that ideology in a viking era is almost impossible to live.
Protect the one that you love is the true battlefield and what it means to be a real warrior,and he doesn't kill the others because he respects everybody life,war and massacre doesn't have sense and don't lead to anything only death and destruction,he was sick of that and found a better life.
Thorfinn clearly doesn't know about his desertion,and don't understand what thors mean with "real warrior needs no sword""you have no enemies at all" and his beliefs,but he has still viking beliefs because he lived in that ambient,he his still a child he see his father as a hero that protected everybody in a duel and wants to kill askeladd in a duel because he killed thors dishonorably breaking his promise to him,he didn't kill askeladd in his sleep for that motive,he is stupid and a idiot for that,yes he his a damn brat,he should have returned to his family but his rage and vengeance for askeladd took the lead,he'll regret that for life.
So you clearly don't understand what this series wants to tell.
nanashi796Aug 16, 2019 9:11 AM
Aug 16, 2019 10:51 AM

Mar 2018
@vhagar8 What the fuck?Obviously if he was going to join back the Jomsviking he was was going to kill people. That's why he wasn't going to take Thorfinn and the rest of the crew with him

You do not make any sense, Thors understood that Askeladd and his gang were only after him and paid by Floki. He fought a duel with the promise to let his son and crew escape safely, he sensed he could trust Askeladd with that and that's why he didn't kill him. Killing the leader would get ALL of them killed.

Killing the other pawns was because of his morals that's true, but I don't see how that has anything to do with what you're saying. At that time he didn't realize they were paid to assassinate him, just to enslave them and take their goods, he didn't think it was worth killing each other.

Why would his son hate him for that when he literally sacrificed his own life to save them anyway. This isn't hard to understand.

Where did I project my own morals my dude? Everything from ep1 to ep6 went over your head. You accused the story of not properly conveying stuff that has been said explicitly and keep insisting it's bad writing and poorly delivered. Go rematch the episodes or something

@Daniel_Naumov Ah I get you now reading all of it again. I interpreted it wrong because you said you agreed with vhagar8 who said something else entirely.

About the action, that's how action/manga like this portray the "big names". Thors slapping and punching people with swords was a bit too much to me as well, but doesn't take away from the story at all. It's part of what makes it an epic anime/manga. I don't agree that it makes it unworthy of being "historical" that just seems like looking down it for one aspect you don't like.
poop
Aug 16, 2019 11:02 AM

Nov 2015
Damn this was a heart cruching episode. I hope to see more of that girl, i fear she might be kidnapped by the vikings tho. Excited to see where it goes
Aug 16, 2019 11:24 AM

Apr 2018
nanashi796 said:
vhagar8 said:
1. he doesn't need to kill his opponent, he's strong enough to defeat everyone without killing one vs one.
2.even if he killed askeladd everyone would have attack thors and the others to avenge him,with archers too,and thorfinn would have been killed since he can't protect everyone while he fights,he's not an idiot.
3.he accepted to go back on the batttlefield because if he didn't go the jomsvikings would attack the village for his desertion.
5.askeladd respects him to the point he asked him to become the boss of his band and take thorfinn with him.
So he isn't a coward by any means,actually is the opposite he is a brave,intelligent and strong willed person,Floki is a coward,thors is a real warrior that respects and protects life without discrimination to anyone,he protects the life of his beloved ones without taking the life of others,even if that means to die to protect his family and his conpanions,you can think thats stupid but he isn't a coward,he is a coward from the perspective of a dumb viking,and that lead to his death because with that ideology in a viking era is almost impossible to live.
Protect the one that you love is the true battlefield and what it means to be a real warrior,and he doesn't kill the others because he respects everybody life,war and massacre doesn't have sense and don't lead to anything only death and destruction,he was sick of that and found a better life.
Thorfinn clearly doesn't know about his desertion,and don't understand what thors mean with "real warrior needs no sword""you have no enemies at all" and his beliefs,but he has still viking beliefs because he lived in that ambient,he his still a child he see his father as a hero that protected everybody in a duel and wants to kill askeladd in a duel because he killed thors dishonorably breaking his promise to him,he didn't kill askeladd in his sleep for that motive,he is stupid and a idiot for that,yes he his a damn brat,he should have returned to his family but his rage and vengeance for askeladd took the lead,he'll regret that for life.

1-I don't give a shit how strong he is, sparing the life of your opponent on the battlefield is stupid. Let's even say thors was strong enough to overwhelm em all, as long as he left them alive they might seek for revenge, raiding the village where he lived for example. And it's not about not needing to kill, but being afraid to kill.
2-thorfinn could hide with a shield on his head behind the goods, while thors attacked the other ship, he himself said he could defeat em alone, by killing the commander he'd also break their ranks, and the archers from that distance during a close combat fight where most of the people involved are commanders would be more harm then good. Would that guarantee his son survival? Of course not but it's a way better plan than entrusting the life of his son to a shady looking pirate who just broke a promise in front of him
3him
3-I know that, how's that relevant?
4- I know that, how's that relevant?
5-he got no means to establish whenever that was true or not, based on the situation, it's would be more reasonable to assume he was making fun of him.
I don't give a shit if YOU think thors is a coward or a hero, you're not there, who's there are the people who live in that period, and by they're standard he's a coward.
And why thorfinn wants to kill him in a duel? What moral is this 6 year old kid abading by? Where does this sense of honor come from? It's not the viking honor and another sense of honor was never introduced in the story. I really don't see why thorfinn would care more about this questionable sense of honor than actual revenge
Aug 16, 2019 12:09 PM

Apr 2018
Esquirtit said:
@vhagar8 What the fuck?Obviously if he was going to join back the Jomsviking he was was going to kill people. That's why he wasn't going to take Thorfinn and the rest of the crew with him

You do not make any sense, Thors understood that Askeladd and his gang were only after him and paid by Floki. He fought a duel with the promise to let his son and crew escape safely, he sensed he could trust Askeladd with that and that's why he didn't kill him. Killing the leader would get ALL of them killed.

Killing the other pawns was because of his morals that's true, but I don't see how that has anything to do with what you're saying. At that time he didn't realize they were paid to assassinate him, just to enslave them and take their goods, he didn't think it was worth killing each other.

Why would his son hate him for that when he literally sacrificed his own life to save them anyway. This isn't hard to understand.

Where did I project my own morals my dude? Everything from ep1 to ep6 went over your head. You accused the story of not properly conveying stuff that has been said explicitly and keep insisting it's bad writing and poorly delivered. Go rematch the episodes or something

If your comprehension skills are this low, having a conversation might be a problem. No shit u think what I said makes not sense.
I'll go back to the conversation slowly, make an effort to keep focus. I was saying thors was a coward by Vikings standard, u @ me applying the 21th century definition of coward to thors and disagreeing, I explained u that ur using a definition of cowardly and bravery that doesn't fit the time period the story is settled in (that's what projecting your moral mean if the words were too difficult to understand)
And this is your reply?
"Why would his son hate him for that when he literally sacrificed his own life to save them anyway"
I said his son would hate him if he was abiding by Vikings' sense of honor. And my point was that he's in fact not abiding .
And the fuck? I didn't see the superpower tag on this anime? So thors could "sense" that that shady-looking pirate would keep his promise. And his belief in his supernatural sensing ability was so strong he's willing to bet his son's life on it?
I explained a more reasonable route for his son to make it out alive in my other comment point #2
He wasn't taking the safest route but the one where he had to kill no people, that's by no mean an honorable way of behavior for a viking. That's all.
Thors not being an honorable viking wasn't even my point but just a mean to criticize thorfinn's characterization by I guess that went under your skin as well.
And btw thors going to the war to die there, rather than to kill the enemy seems a way more believable decision for his character to make. That way he'd be the only one paying for his actions (deserting) and his family would be left alone, but he wouldn't have to reject his morals. But I have to admit I can't know this for sure
Aug 16, 2019 12:22 PM

May 2015
vhagar8 said:
nanashi796 said:

1-I don't give a shit how strong he is, sparing the life of your opponent on the battlefield is stupid. Let's even say thors was strong enough to overwhelm em all, as long as he left them alive they might seek for revenge, raiding the village where he lived for example. And it's not about not needing to kill, but being afraid to kill.
2-thorfinn could hide with a shield on his head behind the goods, while thors attacked the other ship, he himself said he could defeat em alone, by killing the commander he'd also break their ranks, and the archers from that distance during a close combat fight where most of the people involved are commanders would be more harm then good. Would that guarantee his son survival? Of course not but it's a way better plan than entrusting the life of his son to a shady looking pirate who just broke a promise in front of him
3him
5-he got no means to establish whenever that was true or not, based on the situation, it's would be more reasonable to assume he was making fun of him.
I don't give a shit if YOU think thors is a coward or a hero, you're not there, who's there are the people who live in that period, and by they're standard he's a coward.
And why thorfinn wants to kill him in a duel? What moral is this 6 year old kid abading by? Where does this sense of honor come from? It's not the viking honor and another sense of honor was never introduced in the story. I really don't see why thorfinn would care more about this questionable sense of honor than actual revenge

1.for you is stupid for him no,he values the life of others,killing for protecting the one you love is discrimination, that is one of the fucking message of the manga.
2.lol a shield,he could defeat them alone but he can't protect the others from all the fucking people when he fights,him fighting askeladd was the best option he had,he know he can trust askeladd since he his a man of honor.
3 and 4 that shows that he's not a fucking coward
5.its cleary as day that askeladd was serious when he asked him to join.
i fucking said that in the comment,dumb viking see him as a coward,askeladd isn't a dumb viking, even bjorn respects him.
everybody said why to you 100 times but you are too stupid to understand why he wants to kill him in a duel.

Aug 16, 2019 12:32 PM

Apr 2018
nanashi796 said:
vhagar8 said:

3him

1.for you is stupid for him no,he values the life of others,killing for protecting the one you love is discrimination, that is one of the fucking message of the manga.
2.lol a shield,he could defeat them alone but he can't protect the others from all the fucking people when he fights,him fighting askeladd was the best option he had,he know he can trust askeladd since he his a man of honor. and 4 that shows that he's not a fucking coward
i fucking said that in the comment,dumb viking see him as a coward,askeladd isn't a dumb viking, even bjorn respects him.
everybody said why to you 100 times but you are too stupid to understand why he wants to kill him in a duel.

1-not killing other for protecting the ones u love means not valuing the life of the ones u love. But we're getting a little off-track here, my initial purpose wasn't to question the manga message
2-how the fuck is he supposed to know that? He literally broke part of his promise before his eyes, what tells him he'd keep the other part if he accepted to die
3 & 4 I'm tired to explain why he's a coward and that people should stop projecting their values on other societies
Lmao "dumb viking" basically means "actual viking" in your book.
Aug 16, 2019 12:52 PM

May 2015
vhagar8 said:
nanashi796 said:

2.lol a shield,he could defeat them alone but he can't protect the others from all the fucking people when he fights,him fighting askeladd was the best option he had,he know he can trust askeladd since he his a man of honor. and 4 that shows that he's not a fucking coward

1-not killing other for protecting the ones u love means not valuing the life of the ones u love. But we're getting a little off-track here, my initial purpose wasn't to question the manga message
2-how the fuck is he supposed to know that? He literally broke part of his promise before his eyes, what tells him he'd keep the other part if he accepted to die
3 & 4 I'm tired to explain why he's a coward and that people should stop projecting their values on other societies
his promise was to save the others,askeladd respected the promise he even said to ari when he attacked him to not waste his life because thors was a greater man then all of them combined,and he didn't kill anyone,honor to vikings is the most important thing,and btw when bjorn took thorfinn as hostage askeladd was sad and disappointed,he din't want to do it,he wanted to respect his promise.,that shows that he really respected thors.

3-4 that vikings see him as a coward because he deserted it's true but that's not the point,that shows that he isn't a coward because he's protecting his family and village,knowing that means to be killed for desertion,he was never a coward, and btw the only one that is projecting his values on this manga is you,that think this manga has poor characterization because you think differently of the characters values.
nanashi796Aug 16, 2019 1:26 PM
Aug 16, 2019 1:14 PM

Mar 2018
@vhagar8 Omg, you said Thorfinn wanting revenge is poor characterization and that it doesn't make sense. Me having poor comprehension? LOOK BACK AT YOUR REPLIES. It's not my fault your criticism is all over the place because you never even grasped what the story is about. At first you didn't even understand anything about the Vikings beliefs and now you're saying a little child not abiding its rules when his dad sacrificed his life to save him and everyone else is "poorly delivered"? I can't be bothered you just aren't able to appreciate complex character writing fucking hell dude. Please in what universe do people hate a man who just saved not only their own life but also their families. Did you not see the reaction of the young men and Ericson? Are they poorly handled as well? OR FUCKING HUMANE CHARACTERS. THEY WENT WITH THORS BELIEVING THEY WERE THE SHIT, AND GOT FACED WITH REALITY. THEY WEREN'T REAL SAVAGE VIKINGS ESPECIALLY NOT A FUCKING 6 YR OLD

And what is this? Humans can't "sense" something? Do you lack any self-awareness or are you just being ridiculous for fun ? You also fail to understand that Thors had to die no matter what otherwise his village would get slaughtered instead.

You admit again you didn't pay any attention and just keep talking out your ass. Thors plan was to leave everyone behind with Ericson at the place where they got ambushed so they could go back to their village.

I'll just leave it as this, you either like how Thorfinn's understanding of the world has been completely broken or just want him to be a one dimensional edgelord.
poop
Aug 16, 2019 1:20 PM

Apr 2018
nanashi796 said:
vhagar8 said:

his promise was to save the others,askeladd respected the promise he even said to ari when he attacked him to not waste his life because thors was a greater man then all of them combined,and he didn't kill anyone,honor to vikings is the most important thing.
3-4 that vikings see him as a coward because he deserted it's true but that's not the point,that shows that he isn't a coward because he's protecting his family and village,knowing that means to be killed for desertion,he was never a coward, and btw the only one that is projecting his values on this manga is you,that think this manga has poor characterization because you think differently of the characters values.

"Yes vikings see him as a coward, but he's not a coward in my heart" ahahahaahahah, stop with all this thors fanboying, I don't give a shit how great of a man u think he is, thatìs not relevant for this discussion at all.
And askeladd's promise was withdraw immediately if thors won the duel. Killing thors was breaking his promise already. And u know that as well beacuse that's what supposedly triggered thorfinn stupid honor-revenge sentiment or whatever. Let's end this here, it seems ur out of arguments and ur getting desperate.
Aug 16, 2019 1:26 PM

Apr 2018
Esquirtit said:
@vhagar8 Omg, you said Thorfinn wanting revenge is poor characterization and that it doesn't make sense. Me having poor comprehension? LOOK BACK AT YOUR REPLIES. It's not my fault your criticism is all over the place because you never even grasped what the story is about. At first you didn't even understand anything about the Vikings beliefs and now you're saying a little child not abiding its rules when his dad sacrificed his life to save him and everyone else is "poorly delivered"? I can't be bothered you just aren't able to appreciate complex character writing fucking hell dude. Please in what universe do people hate a man who just saved not only their own life but also their families. Did you not see the reaction of the young men and Ericson? Are they poorly handled as well? OR FUCKING HUMANE CHARACTERS. THEY WENT WITH THORS BELIEVING THEY WERE THE SHIT, AND GOT FACED WITH REALITY. THEY WEREN'T REAL SAVAGE VIKINGS ESPECIALLY NOT A FUCKING 6 YR OLD

And what is this? Humans can't "sense" something? Do you lack any self-awareness or are you just being ridiculous for fun ? You also fail to understand that Thors had to die no matter what otherwise his village would get slaughtered instead.

You admit again you didn't pay any attention and just keep talking out your ass. Thors plan was to leave everyone behind with Ericson at the place where they got ambushed so they could go back to their village.

I'll just leave it as this, you either like how Thorfinn's understanding of the world has been completely broken or just want him to be a one dimensional edgelord.

I tried to explain this again to u but it seems you're beyond help.
Sure I'm not able to appreciate these "complex" characters.
Now stop quoting me I'm tired of talking to retards.
Aug 16, 2019 1:28 PM

May 2015
vhagar8 said:
nanashi796 said:
his promise was to save the others,askeladd respected the promise he even said to ari when he attacked him to not waste his life because thors was a greater man then all of them combined,and he didn't kill anyone,honor to vikings is the most important thing.

"Yes vikings see him as a coward, but he's not a coward in my heart" ahahahaahahah, stop with all this thors fanboying, I don't give a shit how great of a man u think he is, thatìs not relevant for this discussion at all.
And askeladd's promise was withdraw immediately if thors won the duel. Killing thors was breaking his promise already. And u know that as well beacuse that's what supposedly triggered thorfinn stupid honor-revenge sentiment or whatever. Let's end this here, it seems ur out of arguments and ur getting desperate.
it's not that i think he isn't a coward he fucking showed it with his actions,others vikings don't know him,all the village abitants respect him.

When bjorn took thorfinn as hostage askeladd was sad and disappointed,he didn't want to do it,he wanted to respect his promise.,that shows that he really respected thors.
Aug 16, 2019 1:35 PM

Apr 2016
The episode was good but It feels to me that the fight animation wasn't that good in some points.
Aug 16, 2019 1:49 PM

Apr 2018
nanashi796 said:
vhagar8 said:

it's not that i think he isn't a coward he fucking showed it with his actions,others vikings don't know him,all the village abitants respect him.

When bjorn took thorfinn as hostage askeladd was sad and disappointed,he didn't want to do it,he wanted to respect his promise.,that shows that he really respected thors.

Shit, I haven't really notice till this point. Thanks for pointing out how bad of a character askeladd is as well. He kills people as a living but he respects thors for not killing people, what a joke of a characterization lmao.
Anyway ok, he might have had a slightly better chance of his plan succeeding that I thought. That doesn't change the grand scheme of things too much. What I proposed is still a safer route imo. But whatever, I'm genuinely tired of this, if u still think thorfinn, thors and whoever else are great characters after all the discussions, so be it, have fun watching this for me as well.
Aug 16, 2019 2:03 PM

May 2015
vhagar8 said:
nanashi796 said:

Shit, I haven't really notice till this point. Thanks for pointing out how bad of a character askeladd is as well. He kills people as a living but he respects thors for not killing people, what a joke of a characterization lmao.
Anyway ok, he might have had a slightly better chance of his plan succeeding that I thought. That doesn't change the grand scheme of things too much. What I proposed is still a safer route imo. But whatever, I'm genuinely tired of this, if u still think thorfinn, thors and whoever else are great characters after all the discussions, so be it, have fun watching this for me as well.
thats explained later why he respects him so much,when he tell his past,he has a goal.
nanashi796Aug 16, 2019 2:14 PM
Aug 16, 2019 2:30 PM
Feb 2016
vhagar8 said:
nanashi796 said:

He doesn't respect Thors for NOT killing people you imbecile. It's because he's the strongest warrior that he had ever faced and he has an immense amount of honor. Not only that, but he would give his LIFE to protect the people that he cares about. THAT'S why Askeladd asked him to BE THE LEADER - NOT TO JUST BE ANOTHER MEMBER.

THORS WOULD HAVE BEEN A BETTER LEADER THAN ASKELADD.

You are an idiot, a moron, a jackass, and you might also be brain dead.

Please leave this forum and never post here again.
Aug 16, 2019 3:00 PM

Aug 2019
I don't think it's ever implied that Askeladd respected Thors for not killing people. He found it unusual when one of his group told him that a number of his men were injured but none of them killed.

He did respect him because of the reputation that came with being the Troll of Jom though.

Aug 16, 2019 3:16 PM

Nov 2018
vhagar8 said:
nanashi796 said:

You gave every k-on garbage a 9, and you wanna talk about how THIS series has badly written characters? GFO you fucking faggot.
Aug 16, 2019 3:35 PM

Aug 2019
Tougen said:
vhagar8 said:

You gave every k-on garbage a 9, and you wanna talk about how THIS series has badly written characters? GFO you fucking faggot.

Chill dude, clearly the anime isn't for them. It's their loss if they're willing to write off an anime based on poorly-written characters after 6 episodes. Personally, you need to give it a little more time if you're going to come to that sort of conclusion.

Aug 16, 2019 3:48 PM

Dec 2010
Emotional episode. Finally got to the timeskip. Can't wait for the next!
Aug 16, 2019 4:39 PM

May 2015
vhagar8 said:
Esquirtit said:

You're the only retarded one here.

Aug 16, 2019 5:11 PM

Mar 2018
@vhagar8 Last time lol. You DO not get it. Not at all. Thorfinn wanting to avenge his father is his own will, killing Askeladd in a fair duel is in his own self-interest because he believes it will satisfy him the most. It's not the author's fault because as you can see everyone else understood it and came to their conclusions. Your way of thinking; Thorfinn wanting revenge in a fair duel is dumb because by Viking standards his dad was trash.

Are Floki and Askeladd honourable men by Viking standards? Not really, because in literally every group of people who share the same beliefs, some will defy them to serve their own. This era was dirty as fuck. You don't seem to grasp that and go so far as to project "Viking morals" onto these characters to exemplify why they are " poorly written", pretentious on a whole other level after admitting not even having a grasp of "Viking morals" while watching. You're a joke my guy. It's quite obvious all of the main cast will have some sort of individualistic views and sense of the world around them.
poop
Aug 17, 2019 1:44 AM

Oct 2008
The brutality, chaos and violence is really top notch this episode!
Thorfinn is now getting good in killing! he might surpass his father but totally wrecked inside...
5/5.

Aug 17, 2019 1:15 PM
Apr 2016
TsukuyomiREKT said:
vhagar8 said:

You're the only retarded one here.

Probably the most contestable thing I have ever witnessed. And I have played a lot of Flag Domination.
----
Y'all, I present you!:
The brutality, chaos and violence is really top notch this episode!
5/5.

The target audience.
Aug 17, 2019 11:40 PM

Nov 2017
Why would I care about how realistic an action is in an anime. It's anime ffs, not a live action show. Anime characters will always be superhuman, even if that show was about samurais.
LalatinaDarknessAug 17, 2019 11:47 PM
Aug 18, 2019 12:20 AM

Aug 2018
this anime growing on me maybe its because I'm watching Vikings so far I like it
Aug 18, 2019 2:07 AM

May 2015
Awwww, that is so sweet seeing Thorfinn so healthy. HE GOOD BOI!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 18, 2019 4:48 AM
Apr 2016
LalatinaDarkness said:
Why would I care about how realistic an action is in an anime. It's anime ffs, not a live action show. Anime characters will always be superhuman, even if that show was about samurais.

The high-quality series which managed to produce a decent narrative and believable, not stretching beyond the constraints of "realism" action sequences, would like to have a word with y'all.
Aug 18, 2019 6:49 AM

Oct 2010
That senile old lady made a grave mistake, the english girl was the true voice of reason, they should've said the truth about thorfinn to a soldier. Now what can you do, at least he told them to run away in english too. This episode was great, love the atmosphere and the raw feelings of the characters and the raw action 5/5
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Apr 23, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Apr 23, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

407 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 23, 12:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.