Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »
Mar 23, 2018 10:15 AM

Feb 2018
Ugh, didn't like the humor at all, and the characters don't seem too likable. Will try another couple of episodes before dropping although.
Music, on the other hand, is the only thing I loved, sounded like Dylan.

RayanGQR said:
I think i've
Ps: Awesome FMA reference

I missed it, what was it? (if you still remember).
Mar 24, 2018 3:33 AM
Apr 2017
A_Haiku_Unloose said:
Ugh, didn't like the humor at all, and the characters don't seem too likable. Will try another couple of episodes before dropping although.

RayanGQR said:
I think i've
Ps: Awesome FMA reference

In the moment 19:32 they start talking about equivalent exchange and the formula for Senjougahara's disappointment.
RayanGQRMar 24, 2018 3:38 AM
Mar 25, 2018 6:21 AM

Feb 2018
RayanGQR said:
A_Haiku_Unloose said:

In the moment 19:32 they start talking about equivalent exchange and the formula for Senjougahara's disappointment.

I guess I was half-asleep by that time already, thank you. :)
Apr 3, 2018 3:49 PM

Sep 2017
The first episode had overblown proportions of animation and art. But they were not incredible, they looked like SHAFT had to show off their style.

Anyway, the first episode is just okay. No great aspects. The music was okay and the plot was kinda okay. Okay is the word I would use here. I don't have an idea of what these characters are and I hope they will be explained in next episode. I also don't have time to pause for each and every screenshot they put in each scene.

So, Araragi is a human healed from being a vampire apparently and has a drug dealer, who he shows Shenjoughara whatever so that she can regain weight to normal standards. Also, I hate her. She calls herself a tsundere, but she is a bitch, a yangire at that. If anyone calls her a tsundere, it would be a disgrace to tsunderes worldwide.

She is not above threatening his sisters. I kinda wonder why she is gonna be a heroine, seeing that she is such a bitch.

I hope Araragi doesn't choose her, but we all know that he will.

And equivalent exchange is not a FMA reference, thank you very much. That concept already existed in stories of old.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 21, 2018 1:22 AM

Nov 2017
Animation is beautiful! Huge fan of Shaft, and this definitely is one of there better works!
Aug 26, 2018 5:57 AM

May 2018
Very nice! I really like the opening and the ending. Incredible animation, good beggining, etc.
"No matter where you go, everyone's connected." Iwakura, Lain.

Sep 24, 2018 9:49 PM

Sep 2011
Well, that was really weird. I'm a little confused.

The animation was beatiful, I loved the art style.
Nov 10, 2018 1:34 PM

Aug 2017
I got a good first impression of Bakemonogatari. A bit weird but It wasn't confusing.

It's a good thing I read the synopsis. I wouldn't have understand the first minutes. So much dialogue and hidden text.

So, they need to solve the mystery surrounding Senjougahara's unnaturally weight loss.

Tomorrow, I'll keep watching.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 11, 2018 6:53 AM

Oct 2017
i'm a little confused but i'm intrigued

very different and atmospheric
Dec 19, 2018 6:22 PM

Feb 2017
Picked up the show because I've seen how long and complex the series is, and I figured I ought to start it now.

I don't know what to say, this is amazingly confusing. I guess I'm not supposed to understand any of that intro? Actually, I hardly understood anything in the whole episode. But I crave more.
Feb 4, 2019 5:03 PM

May 2015
Ah, the episode just started and ended... like was it really 20 minutes, I hardly noticed.
I loved the look of it and the sound of it. This is what you get with a good mix of Shinbou Akiyuki and Kamiya Hiroshi.
I can't say it was perfect, but pretty close, enjoyed it immensely although don't know whether I'm interested in the story itself all that much.
Feb 12, 2019 8:14 PM
Nov 2017
I'm enjoying the story and such. But damn do I hate all the random "crap" that pops up and sh*t, it could've done without imo. :(

I don't know if I'll watch the whole show, well onto Episode 2.

-Ino
Feb 19, 2019 4:53 PM

Aug 2016
A simple first episode presented in a "messy " way that looks more pretentious than artistic or engaging. Hope they do something interesting with the characters, or it could mean a soonish drop.
:v
Mar 10, 2019 5:23 AM

Jun 2015
I don't know if anybody said this before but this is literally the 7th second of the show and I'm welcomed with some panty shots.

Don't know how to feel about this.

Mar 24, 2019 10:47 AM

Dec 2018
dropped after 10 minutes, fucking most boring shit i've ever seen, and the background music is a lullaby. I found myself chewing my nails off waiting for something to occur other than the tropiest and lamest of nonsense bullshit.
May 10, 2019 7:36 AM

Dec 2018
Crab.Snail.Monkey.Snake.Cat. and Vamp. lol.

Oshino Meme, huh? Should make a meme out of him.

I wonder how people see the sudden text popup when it's aired in the TV. They must be confused as ****. I had a hard time too pausing every text popup just to see a little monologue. Some were just pointless text like "black screen" wtf?

Of all the anime I've watched this one has the wildest animation. I think they mixed up some CGI too.

Kish0May 10, 2019 7:59 AM
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
May 18, 2019 8:46 PM

Sep 2017
So... I have absolutely no idea what just happened. I think I liked it? I'm really not sure. Quality wise it was fantastic, especially with the cinematography and the animation. Voice acting was good, etc. etc. I still have no idea what just happened though. Can't wait for the next episode!
May 30, 2019 11:58 AM

Feb 2016
The art, animation and directing is very good.
So why exactly the mc wanted to turn back to a human? Being a vampire must be cool.
Wonder how she will gain her weight again
SupercuecaMay 30, 2019 12:01 PM
Jul 3, 2019 8:15 AM

Nov 2017
Golly, 10 years since this series first aired? This will mark my 6th time re-watching it. &++ I like posting gifs so this will be a good excuse to post some of the waifu as I continue! "My harsh remarks are made by transmuting 40g of copper, 25g of zinc, 15g of nickel, 5g of hiding my embarrassment and 97kg of spite". Waifugahara is a smart ass through and through. Now that I can understand Japanese, her sesquipedalian surname 戦場ヶ原 makes a lot of sense.

Looking forward to experiencing this show again! <333
Jul 5, 2019 8:41 AM
Nov 2015
* Well here we go, finally getting around to watching it , been hyped by it's fanbase alot for it's crazy visuals, character interactions and supernatural elements. So far it has my attention. The visuals and music direction has been stunning and added alot to the atmosphere required for certain scenes and unique to say the least.
* Introduction to some characters, araragi, meme, senjogohara, hanakawa, shinobu.
* Araragi being an ex- vampire has me intrigued with his character, so far seems to be a normal dude with a bit of snarkiness and is willing to help senjogohara with her ailment.
* The introduction of senjogohara was initially beautiful and then followed by a frightening threat that had me scared , really intrigued with her character so far based on her interactions with others like araragi and meme.
* Meme is cool and seems like a combination of being a potential badass and smart ass.
* Overall the highlight were the interactions and how they presented making the characters feel unique and intriguing from the standard troupe.
Jul 5, 2019 8:43 AM
Apr 2016
Black_Sheep97 said:
* Well here we go, finally getting around to watching it , been hyped by it's fanbase alot for it's crazy visuals, character interactions and supernatural elements. So far it has my attention. The visuals and music direction has been stunning and added alot to the atmosphere required for certain scenes and unique to say the least.
* Introduction to some characters, araragi, meme, senjogohara, hanakawa, shinobu.
* Araragi being an ex- vampire has me intrigued with his character, so far seems to be a normal dude with a bit of snarkiness and is willing to help senjogohara with her ailment.
* The introduction of senjogohara was initially beautiful and then followed by a frightening threat that had me scared , really intrigued with her character so far based on her interactions with others like araragi and meme.
* Meme is cool and seems like a combination of being a potential badass and smart ass.
* Overall the highlight were the interactions and how they presented making the characters feel unique and intriguing from the standard troupe.

I checked your list, and just a disclaimer IF you actually haven't seen them yet: Kizumonogatari movies go BEFORE Bakemonogatari.
Jul 5, 2019 8:46 AM
Nov 2015
2ego said:
Black_Sheep97 said:

I checked your list, and just a disclaimer IF you actually haven't seen them yet: Kizumonogatari movies go BEFORE Bakemonogatari.
i was told i should watch kizomonogatari after bakemonogatari, the non linear timeline was the point i presume.
Jul 5, 2019 8:50 AM
Apr 2016
Black_Sheep97 said:
2ego said:

i was told i should watch kizomonogatari after bakemonogatari, the non linear timeline was the point i presume.

Instead of listening to people's pointless "orders" you should follow the sequel/prequel order by MAL, I watched Monogatari using that, and in fact, it was correct and good like that.
Jul 5, 2019 8:56 AM
Nov 2015
2ego said:
Black_Sheep97 said:

Instead of listening to people's pointless "orders" you should follow the sequel/prequel order by MAL, I watched Monogatari using that, and in fact, it was correct and good like that.
I going based on release date, that sounds the best for me, and kizomonogatari was supposed to come after bakemonogatari but it got delayed so that's next for me.
Jul 5, 2019 9:06 AM
Apr 2016
Black_Sheep97 said:
2ego said:

I going based on release date, that sounds the best for me, and kizomonogatari was supposed to come after bakemonogatari but it got delayed so that's next for me.

Do it your way. But just so you know, in Kizu characters like Araragi, Oshino, etc get introduced properly, in Bake they're already just "there."
Jul 5, 2019 9:10 AM
Nov 2015
2ego said:
Black_Sheep97 said:

Do it your way. But just so you know, in Kizu characters like Araragi, Oshino, etc get introduced properly, in Bake they're already just "there."
I liked this introduction, it felt unconventional and mysterious as if jumping right into the story without seatbelt or manual, and makes the dialogue exchanges more intriguing to listen as it alludes to past events I know nothing about.
Aug 21, 2019 5:35 PM
Dec 2018
I don't see how this episode "Makes no sense", the only part that really confused me was the intro and that was because it was going too fast.
Dec 13, 2019 8:16 PM

May 2014
My second time rewatching this season. I stopped in the middle last time at ep. 9. I am glad I picked up this series once again. The first ep. delivered, though it somehow annoying to try to stop the ep. at each fragment to be able to read the dialogue between. I have heard a lot good about this series and as expected it delivers at first ep.

Interesting to see what happened to Senjugahara. Oshino is an interesting character. He seems like to be an OP dude who knows a lot. Araragi senpai is a cool person. What is about as good as the plot is the animation. I mean wow. This animation is something for itself. Something you won't see at big anime companies like A-1, Toei and Pierrot. Great ep. I enjoyed it.
Feb 5, 2020 10:07 PM

Nov 2012
I'm not sure how I feel about the story so far, but Shaft's style is captivating as always.
Mar 19, 2020 2:51 PM

Mar 2019
Oshino Meme is definitely not a name I'm capable of taking seriously.
I'm guessing this show will be heavy on dialogue? The subtitles are disappearing really fast. Well, I did manage with Saiki, so I should be fine here as well... I think.
OωO
Mar 25, 2020 8:09 PM

Dec 2019
Nice first episode, definitely left a good impression!
                                                         🖤   

Apr 19, 2020 7:51 AM

Sep 2016
Here starts my journey with the Monogatari series. My hopes for the show are high because I have heard so much hype about it.

I was little bit dissapointed with the first episode, because I didn't like the characters and some scenes were even too slow. But well made and unique first episode. Lets see what's coming in the next episodes.

May 29, 2020 6:20 PM
Feb 2016
I didn't have much trouble reading all the text in sayonara zetsubou Sensei and I watched tatami galaxy on 1.5 speed without having much trouble following the quick subs caused by the fast talking protag,but all the texts flashing around almost every frame is a real pain in the ass.

Visuals were interesting,but not that mind-blowing considering that this style is a shaft trademark. Camera work and the exposition was pretty interesting too. Can't wait to see how this goes.
Jun 1, 2020 11:12 PM
Feb 2014
Gytanzo said:
So... I have absolutely no idea what just happened. I think I liked it? I'm really not sure. Quality wise it was fantastic, especially with the cinematography and the animation. Voice acting was good, etc. etc. I still have no idea what just happened though. Can't wait for the next episode!

Literally me rn. Everyone else talking about how great it is and how much they like it. But I'm here like ????? is going on.
Jun 7, 2020 2:05 PM

Sep 2017
momongah said:
Gytanzo said:

Literally me rn. Everyone else talking about how great it is and how much they like it. But I'm here like ????? is going on.

If it's any consolation, this franchise gets really good as it goes on. Ononoki best girl.
Jul 1, 2020 5:11 PM

Feb 2020
very strong first episode. i'm already really interested in all the characters. someone said this anime is similar to bunny girl senpai so i'm excited to see more (:

like the comment above i have no idea what's going on and my dumbass had to pass but it was really interesting and looks promising

shinobu is really cute
Jul 11, 2020 3:13 AM

Apr 2020
I honestly don't know what I've just watched but I kinda like it. It's unique in its own way I think. I can't help but feel that I've chosen a wrong way to strat watching the Monogatari series though.

The style and atmosphere of the anime is by all means special, can't deny that. Also, these transitions with blank text kinda make it even more bizzare ...I'm intriqued.
[right]=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=
Jul 26, 2020 3:08 AM

Jun 2020
wow starting on this in 2020 and can i just say, bakemonogatari is way ahead of its time, the framing it has, the visuals, the animation, the art & sound direction, the art style, it aged really well & are still so refreshing, it's simply amazing. i can already tell i'm in for a unique ride, characters are really interesting as well, i'm enthralled watching this first episode!

that penknife scene took me by surprise how iconic!

hope i'll be able to complete the monogatari series

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Aug 7, 2020 3:45 PM

Apr 2020
Gytanzo said:
momongah said:

If it's any consolation, this franchise gets really good as it goes on. Ononoki best girl.

I am really glad someone says it gets really good because I wasn't completely sold on it yet.
"Anime is trash... and so am I"

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Aug 8, 2020 7:44 PM

Sep 2017
n0rth3rn said:
Gytanzo said:

I am really glad someone says it gets really good because I wasn't completely sold on it yet.

I'd say if you're still not feeling it after whatever is after the Kizu movies, which I think is Nise, (don't think the Kizu movies represent the franchise as a whole, while good they are VERY tonally different from the rest of Monogatari), you should probably drop it. Between Bake + Nise, you should have a pretty good idea what the show is like, and it doesn't really change that formula too much. It just takes that formula and expands the characters inside it.
Aug 8, 2020 8:21 PM

Apr 2020
Gytanzo said:
n0rth3rn said:

I'd say if you're still not feeling it after whatever is after the Kizu movies, which I think is Nise, (don't think the Kizu movies represent the franchise as a whole, while good they are VERY tonally different from the rest of Monogatari), you should probably drop it. Between Bake + Nise, you should have a pretty good idea what the show is like, and it doesn't really change that formula too much. It just takes that formula and expands the characters inside it.

I just finished the 3rd arc of bake, and after that one, I find my self really enjoying the show. so yeah you were right it got a lot better for me as I went forward
"Anime is trash... and so am I"

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Sep 7, 2020 4:19 PM

Jun 2020
So far good animation, good development on the characters and good op.

What do you guys think?
Oct 17, 2020 7:33 PM

Dec 2016
started watching monogatari series. well, i didn't understand anything but i kinda liked lol
Nov 6, 2020 10:30 PM

Jul 2020
Ok I’m not really sure if I like it but it’s too early to judge since it got my attention anyway. But I like the OP and ED really catchy.
Nov 12, 2020 10:27 PM
Jul 2018
Re-watching for like the 6th time now and it still as awesome of a start as it was back in 2012 when I first saw the series.
Nov 30, 2020 8:20 AM

Mar 2020
the animation was good, no, not just good, it was great, I loved it. Other aspects? not so much.
“Life is a constant process of dying.”
Dec 25, 2020 2:34 AM

Aug 2020
This is my number one best anime
Jan 5, 2021 2:00 PM

Apr 2020
Good introduction

I do not know what awaits me ... I hope I do not despair!
4/5
"Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder"~Rumi

Jan 26, 2021 6:44 AM

Oct 2016
I am a little confused, but I like it. The visuals are fucking amazing though.

Finally got around to starting the Monogatari series, it's going to be a long ride and I'll see it through to the end.
Jan 27, 2021 1:57 PM
Sep 2020
Rewatching this series and man it's 100x better then the first time
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »

More topics from this board

» Watch Order 2024?

GoCrayzee - Jan 27

26 by gauravb28 »»
Apr 23, 5:48 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

loghneckbeard - Jun 25, 2010

518 by wimpis »»
Apr 21, 6:15 AM

» Renai Circulation ost

DexterDrubo - Apr 19

5 by hsayal »»
Apr 21, 1:07 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 17, 2009

357 by kagamiiin »»
Apr 19, 7:06 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 4, 2009

275 by artemis-cr »»
Apr 2, 5:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.