Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 11, 2019 9:20 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nice catchy opening song they've got there.

I have to admit, this was a rather fun start especially with the first half. Several characters are introduced including Jinnai and Kuji. Seems they're only middle school students . I think the most interesting part of the show is that Keppi creature. I mean...a successor of the Kappa Kingdom?!

They got a lot of work to do. Pretty fun episode.
Apr 11, 2019 9:50 AM
Mar 2019
pretty good. i'll definitely keep watching and see where this goes.
Apr 11, 2019 10:16 AM

Aug 2017
lmao the first episode is very weird.

Good start. I like it.
NurguburuApr 16, 2019 11:58 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 11, 2019 10:29 AM

Sep 2016
??? what the fuck just happened ???
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 11, 2019 10:46 AM

Nov 2013
IKUHARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Did you just find your new fetish? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Apr 11, 2019 11:18 AM
Apr 2017
be careful fellas
Apr 11, 2019 12:48 PM
Aug 2017
That Ending came out of nowhere my jaw dropped. Also it was super gross. I loved it.
Apr 11, 2019 1:16 PM

Dec 2017
what the fuck did i just watch? holy fuck, the production value tho. and that ED was so good

MAPPA sometimes does the wildest shit lmao
Apr 11, 2019 1:17 PM

Aug 2014
Can’t watch till tonight what should I expect lol
Apr 11, 2019 1:17 PM
Aug 2010
This is peak Japan crazy/wtf/stupidness and I love it lol
Apr 11, 2019 1:32 PM
Oct 2018
Where do you watch it
Apr 11, 2019 1:32 PM

May 2015
Wild. Loved that outbreak of song in the middle. Gives me similar vibes to Tsuritama and Kyousou Giga and I dig it.

♡ artist
サコ
Apr 11, 2019 1:39 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The animation was incredible at points, holy crap.

Whatever i just watched was sick.

Jan 2017
That was a wild first episode but I loved it. lol It definitely went passed my expectations and I can't wait for more!

Oct 2012
Classic Ikuhara. Life is worth living again.
Apr 11, 2019 1:44 PM
Feb 2017
I think that was breathtaking and i'm happy it's only 11 episodes because while being amazing, ikuhara's show are difficult to finish for me because of the repeating visual ques and heavy metaphors that kind of wear me out so i'm happy it's not 24 episodes or something. short but sweet. this is going to be a crazy ride.
Apr 11, 2019 1:46 PM
Nov 2011
I have absolute no words for this,
Ikuhara is at it again and I can’t wait for him to destroy me again.
Apr 11, 2019 1:49 PM
Jul 2018
It's a shame to see Ikuhara selling himself to the fujoshis.
Apr 11, 2019 1:55 PM

Apr 2017
eh? huh? what? w-w-what happened..?

This is for sure the strangest anime I've ever seen... Yuri Kuma Arashi is nothing compared to this....
Apr 11, 2019 1:56 PM
Feb 2018
KirisameMaricha said:
I have absolute no words for this,
Ikuhara is at it again and I can’t wait for him to destroy me again.

Literally this. The legend himself is back.
Apr 11, 2019 2:01 PM

Aug 2015
YorukaWaifu said:

First he pandered to the yuri crowd, AND NOW the fujoshis? When will this madness end!
Apr 11, 2019 2:05 PM

Feb 2011
This episode was a visual spectacle. But then on the other hand...

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Apr 11, 2019 2:05 PM

Dec 2016
Can't describe my love for Ikuhara with words. Loved every single second of this.
Apr 11, 2019 2:10 PM

Apr 2019
Ikuhara has this ability to always enthrall me
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 11, 2019 2:13 PM

Sep 2014
Impressive visuals and fitting OST. High quality stuff here. Far crazier than I expected, even for someone like Ikuhara. Quite an enjoyable episode.
FlamepriesTApr 11, 2019 2:24 PM
Apr 11, 2019 2:14 PM

Apr 2009
Good episode. A bit fast, but it did a good job laying down the themes and the general structure of the action scenes.

YorukaWaifu said:

Given how much he knows about otakus, I bet he gets a kick in triggering people like you. :C
Jin_uzukiApr 11, 2019 2:19 PM

Apr 11, 2019 2:21 PM

Jan 2015
That animation tho
GIVE IT TO ME IKUHARA, GIVE ME MORE.

I’ve been waiting for 4 years to watch another anime made by you and IT DIDN’T DISAPPOINT
Apr 11, 2019 2:24 PM

Aug 2014
Trying to fill the Ikuhara's Bingo for this first episode
(Warning: There are spoilers to other ikuhara shows on the bingo)

I can say that THIS WAS FREAKING AWESOME FIRST EPISODE. Moterfucking Ikuhara.
Apr 11, 2019 2:28 PM

Jun 2012
As expected from Ikuhara, half people will hate it, the other half will love it
Apr 11, 2019 2:28 PM

Feb 2016
Ikuhara just upped his game when he's already a legend.
The negative effects of my long life as a shut-in are kicking in now?
Apr 11, 2019 2:29 PM
May 2016
crossdressing middle schoolers
talking frogs
ass juice

enough said. 10/10
Apr 11, 2019 2:30 PM
Jul 2018
What in the world... this is bizarre. xD
Apr 11, 2019 2:33 PM
Jul 2018
Wierd anime i don't know what to say besides This
Apr 11, 2019 2:33 PM

Aug 2014
everlastinglife said:
What in the world... this is bizarre. xD

Everything Ikuhara does is extremely bizarre xD.
Apr 11, 2019 2:36 PM
Sep 2016
So far this, Yaiba, Fruits Basket and Hitoribocchi are the best shows ive seen this seasons. Possibly fairy gone too but we shall see.
It really do be like that though.

Apr 11, 2019 2:37 PM

Jan 2014
Exactly the type of anime I needed right now.
Apr 11, 2019 2:37 PM
Feb 2018
kofmaster said:

Lmao that chart is brilliant.

The Kappa transition in between does definitely bring back memories of Penguindrum's "SEIZON SENRYAKU", so while not magical girls, I guess in a way it kind of counts it as those kind of transformation scene.

Also just going to list some things I've noticed in this episode:

Occurring appearance and focus of circles in objects, setting, etc; constant presentation of spinning, encircling motion: referring to idea of cycle, loop, connection

The quote "dead as you are alive": Schrodinger's cat reference? (maybe? this reference was also in Penguindrum I believe)

Box: desire, to conceal, to store, seal, hide, secret

Already we're being bombarded with heavy amount of metaphors and symbolism with reality and metaphysical world merging together, and I must say, I'm in love.

I can't NOT love Ikuhara.
Apr 11, 2019 2:40 PM

Nov 2016
Dat ass juice, doe.

Definitely the craziest, but at the same time one of the most interesting starts, but I'm all in for a surreal ride.

Also really great ED.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 11, 2019 2:46 PM
Aug 2018
Getting some serious FLCL from that opening episode. Shit is happening that makes literally no sense, but when I think about it more, it kinda does? But ye, thoroughly enjoyed that, MAPPA is back at again with some great shit given to us in a full course meal, with dessert to top it off
Apr 11, 2019 2:51 PM

Aug 2014
skacinth said:
kofmaster said:

The Kappa transition in between does definitely bring back memories of Penguindrum's "SEIZON SENRYAKU", so while not magical girls, I guess in a way it kind of counts it as those kind of transformation scene.

Occurring appearance and focus of circles in objects, setting, etc; constant presentation of spinning, encircling motion: referring to idea of cycle, loop, connection

The quote "dead as you are alive": Schrodinger's cat reference? (maybe? this reference was also in Penguindrum I believe)

Already we're being bombarded with heavy amount of metaphors and symbolism with reality and metaphysical world merging together, and I must say, I'm in love.

I like how you are interpreting the show's elements.

About the quote, I think that there is a similar quote in

big_Tortoise said:
Getting some serious FLCL from that opening episode. Shit is happening that makes literally no sense, but when I think about it more, it kinda does? But ye, thoroughly enjoyed that, MAPPA is back at again with some great shit given to us in a full course meal, with dessert to top it off

Ikuhara tends to make stories with a lot of symbolism that at first seems to make no sense, but in depth it usually has several messages, methaphor, simbolism and everything has a hidden meaning.
kofmasterApr 11, 2019 2:57 PM
Apr 11, 2019 2:53 PM

Oct 2018
How do I explain this to anyone who has not watched this episode without them thinking I've gone mad?

Ikuhara is going to be the death of me...

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

Apr 11, 2019 3:01 PM
Feb 2018
kofmaster said:
skacinth said:

Thank you, I just love shows with lots of metaphors, symbolism and underlying deeper message the creator is trying to convey (exactly Ikuhara), and try to take in and dissect each scene or concept that's represented throughout the episode.

A lot of the big ideas Ikuhara focuses in his shows give me a lot of inspiration for my artwork since I study Illustration and am into philosophy/psychology/sociology, so I'm always digging deeper into those stuff lol

Sadly, I haven't gotten the chance to watch Utena yet, but it's definitely in my top 5 to watch list!
Apr 11, 2019 3:16 PM

Aug 2015
Ikuni IS the best!
Apr 11, 2019 3:18 PM

Sep 2014
This ending song was so good. the peggies are no longer only Kimi no Sei! Kimi no Sei! Kimi no Sei!
Apr 11, 2019 3:19 PM

Jan 2018
This is even better than I was expecting. This episode was so lively and enjoyable and I loved it. Most likely gonna be AOTS for me.
Apr 11, 2019 3:23 PM

Aug 2018
Anime of the Year is already here. Nothing else is going to compare to this.

That was one of the best first episodes I've ever seen! I'm ready for Ikuhara's wild ride. The man continues to surpass himself. My heart is tender, but I'm ready for it be ripped out and thrown into the starlight. I'm not a fan of Ikuhara's shorter protects, but this might break the mold for me.
Apr 11, 2019 3:30 PM

Apr 2015
Honestly speaking, this has to be the weirdest thing I have seen in a long time yet the only anime episode I liked this season.

Can't wait for the next 10 episodes, hope it doesn't suck later on

Guess which anime has the best OP and ED this season? This anime (especially the ED my god it's amazing)

TBH the only anime I like this season
MxxxstationApr 12, 2019 4:03 AM
Apr 11, 2019 3:32 PM

Aug 2014
Low_res_Hibiki said:
Why does this have such good animation? Its easily the best animated show of the season

Because they will probably recycle part of the footage in the following episodes.
(Every ikuhara anime do that)
If they must do it, at least make the sequences as possible xD.
Apr 11, 2019 3:40 PM
Feb 2018
[quote=skacinth message=57372613]
kofmaster said:
skacinth said:

spinning motion, circles, boxes, : what connnects people are each of their desires, but those desires can also cause havoc

(the scene with 'lucky selfie fortunes advertisement in the beginning):
The fortune spins, then the 'Idol' stops the spinning to reveal the lucky item: boxes, and this word 'box' is written on the inner part of the circle. Possibly referring to box=desire is found within connection, what connects people, their bond.
kofmaster said:
skacinth said:

big_Tortoise said:

Ikuhara tends to make stories with a lot of symbolism that at first seems to make no sense, but in depth it usually has several messages, methaphor, simbolism and everything has a hidden meaning.

I also just noticed this:

Spinning motion, circles, boxes, : what connects people are each of their desires, but those desires can also cause havoc.

(the scene with 'lucky selfie fortunes advertisement in the beginning):

The fortune spins, then the 'Idol' stops the spinning to reveal the lucky item: boxes, and this word 'box' is written on the inner part of the circle. Possibly referring to box=desire is found within connection, what connects people, their bond.

Each time I re-watch the episode I'm finding out more things, the fun of Ikuhara show.
Apr 11, 2019 3:40 PM
Sep 2018
Just watched episode 1 and all I have to say is what the fuck
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 18, 2019

186 by thegoishady »»
Aug 7, 2023 7:02 AM

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2019

140 by 3miL »»
Apr 29, 2023 10:06 PM

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2019

70 by nifetiseBOY »»
Feb 11, 2023 5:02 AM

» Is this tagged as yaoi?

FragileGlass - May 6, 2019

12 by Teirayo »»
Feb 25, 2022 3:11 PM

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 16, 2019

67 by smX89 »»
Feb 22, 2022 12:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.