List of good Anime people ignore for a certain reason

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 25, 2019 12:58 AM

Oct 2010
nightcrawlercyp said:
Muzashi said:
3-gatsu no Lion
People always overlook this anime just because it has the word "shogi" in the description. But it's actually much much more than that.
true. Maybe it is much more but if you do not understand the game can you enjoy it?

Yes. It is a slice of life/character drama with a bit of competition mechanics thrown here and there as part of the routine of the MC, not the contrary. You don't need to understand the game to enjoy it.
Mar 25, 2019 1:07 AM

Mar 2018
goko- said:
tatami galaxy because of the dialogue speed

Yeah it was actually difficult to follow but it was really good in the end
LOOKING FOR ARTISTS PLEASE MESSAGE ME IF YOU'RE ONE
Review please!

Mar 25, 2019 1:09 AM
Oct 2018
P1X3LD3M0N said:
goko- said:

yeah lol i was lowkey about to drop it at first but it was worth it in the end.

also this is irrelevant but i just finished this show called "zankyou no terror" and that show was a pile of hot SHIT
goko-Mar 25, 2019 1:24 AM
Mar 25, 2019 1:21 AM

Mar 2018
goko- said:
P1X3LD3M0N said:

also this is irrelevant but i just finished this show called "zankyou no terror" and that was show was a pile of hot SHIT

They just fucked up the last few episodes with the story. Probably due to limitation of episodes. The music however was the best I've heard ever.
The animation was pretty good too
Review please!

Mar 25, 2019 1:23 AM
Oct 2018
P1X3LD3M0N said:
goko- said:

also this is irrelevant but i just finished this show called "zankyou no terror" and that was show was a pile of hot SHIT

They just fucked up the last few episodes with the story. Probably due to limitation of episodes. The music however was the best I've heard ever.
The animation was pretty good too

dude the animation was amazing and the music was good, i completely agree but the rest of the show makes me want to go to sleep and never wake up.
lol sorta got off topic but whatever

lmao just realized you gave it a 10 but everyone enjoys different things :P
Mar 25, 2019 1:38 AM

May 2018
WIXOSS series

A very underrated series that is worth watching. Unless you don't like dark stuff.
Mar 25, 2019 1:42 AM

May 2018
I don't have real statistics but in my opinion people are talking way less it should be about interesting show like the following:

(This list is a mixed bag of genres and artistic ambitions - in some cases total lack of such but never the less good projects so bear with me because I am too lazy to group them properly.)

Abenobashi Mahou☆Shoutengai
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
Binbougami ga!
Bounen no Xamdou
Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou
Detroit Metal City
Freedom
Gankutsuou
Hachimitsu to Clover
Hidamari Sketch
Hisone to Maso-tan
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
Joshiraku
Kaguya-hime no Monogatari
Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor (like talking about the whole franchise not only the second movie)
Kurokami The Animation
Kyousou Giga
Lupin III - movies and specials
Mahoujin Guruguru (2017)
Memories
Natsu no Arashi!
Nodame Cantabile
Paprika (when talking about Satoshi Kon people always ignore this and Tokyo Gogfathers)
Planetes
Punch Line
Saint☆Oniisan
Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin
Senyuu.
Servant x Service
Shinryaku! Ika Musume
Sketchbook: Full Color's
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
Suisei no Gargantia
Summer Wars
The Big O
Tiger & Bunny
Tokyo Godfathers (when talking about Satoshi Kon people always ignore this and Paprika)
Tonari no Yamada-kun
Top wo Nerae 2! Diebuster (I liked this better that Top wo Nerae! Gunbuster)
Trava: Fist Planet (oftenly ignored prequel to RedLine)
Trigun: Badlands Rumble(liked it way better than the series)
Uchouten Kazoku
Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199
Uchuu Show e Youkoso
UN-GO
Vampire Hunter D (2000)
Votoms
X Densha de Ikou
Yakitate!! Japan
Yomigaeru Sora: Rescue Wings
Mar 25, 2019 1:56 AM

Nov 2016
nightcrawlercyp said:
JoyBoy_316 said:
The monogatari series, because "it's just people standing around talking"

K on because "it's moe trash"

Every anime before the 2000s because "it looks too old"
monogatari series merchandise sells like hot bread so I do not think is ignored.

I think everybody knows how popular the monogataris are same for k on or eva and a lot of people still watch animes from the 90s and before. The point isn't if it's popular or not but that some people still avoid them for some wierd reason even though for how good they are.

If it was just about obscure shows most of the reasons will just be because it just isn't popular enough
JoyBoy_316Mar 25, 2019 2:52 AM
Mar 25, 2019 2:01 AM

May 2018
nightcrawlercyp said:
Megas was a good comedy Vandread a good romance but what does Gundam have?

1. Watch Gundam: The Origin (it's relatively short - 6 OVA movies x 50 min) to understand why people like Universal Century. It has relatively less mechs (skirmishes are not important here except in the last episode) and definitely no Gundam (except in the form of blueprints). Until you even reach something mecha related this story would be eventually sold to you by it's characters.
2. Actually there is a wide variety of very different Gundam shows.
For example Gundam Build Fighters (2013) is a kids sports/hobby tournament title (all the action is in virtual reality simulation matches), one of the best of such kind.
alshuMar 25, 2019 2:08 AM
Mar 25, 2019 2:05 AM
Mar 2015
goko- said:

Exacltly !
Lol I'm pretty confident in my reading speed but damn. As a non-Japanese speaking viewer, it greatly lessened my enjoyment of the show.
Mar 25, 2019 2:16 AM

Mar 2015
Alice_Synthesis said:
It's not only in anime. The horror genre is underrated.

90% of all horror anime are total garbage tho
Mar 25, 2019 2:21 AM

Aug 2012
alshu said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
Megas was a good comedy Vandread a good romance but what does Gundam have?

1. Watch Gundam: The Origin (it's relatively short - 6 OVA movies x 50 min) to understand why people like Universal Century. It has relatively less mechs (skirmishes are not important here except in the last episode) and definitely no Gundam (except in the form of blueprints). Until you even reach something mecha related this story would be eventually sold to you by it's characters.
2. Actually there is a wide variety of very different Gundam shows.
For example Gundam Build Fighters (2013) is a kids sports/hobby tournament title (all the action is in virtual reality simulation matches), one of the best of such kind.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will try when I get more time. Now I have a lot of shows on hold that I will watch between seasons, but I will give it a try
Mar 25, 2019 2:22 AM

Aug 2012
JoyBoy_316 said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
monogatari series merchandise sells like hot bread so I do not think is ignored.

I think everybody knows how popular the monogataris same for k on or eva and a lot of people still watch animes from the 90s and before. The point isn't if it's popular or not but that some people still avoid them for some wierd reason even though for how good they are.

If it was just about obscure shows most of the reasons will just be because it just isn't popular enough
blasphemy! comparing monogatari and the trash that is eva.
Mar 25, 2019 2:33 AM

Jul 2009
thevagus said:
Nichijou, because it is just everyday life.

My everyday life certainly doesn't have principals wrestling deers.
Sadly.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 25, 2019 2:36 AM

May 2018
nightcrawlercyp said:
Thank you for the suggestion. I will try when I get more time. Now I have a lot of shows on hold that I will watch between seasons, but I will give it a try

I am not pressing you to watch it. Just pointing out some eventually more approachable title.

Gundam is pretty huge and diverse. Even new mecha fans are baffled were to start because the old shows look outdated to them, there are too many parallel universes and the community is splited which are the best series (like too much nostalgia for Gundam Wing and Fighter G Gundam - Tooami crushes for many people).
Mar 25, 2019 2:37 AM

Aug 2017
Muzashi said:
3-gatsu no Lion
People always overlook this anime just because it has the word "shogi" in the description. But it's actually much much more than that.

100% agreed.
Just the fact that so little people even mentioned it or even bother to check it out baffles me,considering the fact that the second season is #8 on MAL.
Mar 25, 2019 2:39 AM

Nov 2016
nightcrawlercyp said:
JoyBoy_316 said:

I think everybody knows how popular the monogataris same for k on or eva and a lot of people still watch animes from the 90s and before. The point isn't if it's popular or not but that some people still avoid them for some wierd reason even though for how good they are.

blasphemy! comparing monogatari and the trash that is eva.

I have no patience for that debate so just do you mate
JoyBoy_316Mar 25, 2019 2:42 AM
Mar 25, 2019 2:59 AM
Jul 2018
Anime with specific styles, eg modern designs of Osamu Tezuka or Akio Sugino, combined with the old narrative.
That style is not liked by everyone. Eg 2005 TV series Snow Queen bombed.

Muzashi said:
3-gatsu no Lion

Honey and Clover was very popular so majority expected a similar title and ended up disappointed. Kinda like the FMA mangaka who started a completely different manga that would be impossible to reach FMA levels of popularity.
Mar 25, 2019 3:50 AM
Dec 2013
I'm guessing some people avoid "Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko." because it has "Hentai" in the title, and so they think that it's a hentai, when it's not.

Also, Kaiji because of the art style.
Mar 25, 2019 4:17 AM

Oct 2010
petran79 said:
Anime with specific styles, eg modern designs of Osamu Tezuka or Akio Sugino, combined with the old narrative.
That style is not liked by everyone. Eg 2005 TV series Snow Queen bombed.

Muzashi said:
3-gatsu no Lion

Honey and Clover was very popular so majority expected a similar title and ended up disappointed. Kinda like the FMA mangaka who started a completely different manga that would be impossible to reach FMA levels of popularity.

But 3-gatsu no lion is popular and it has very good ratings ¿? And the manga sells a lot.
Mar 25, 2019 5:01 AM
Jul 2018
jal90 said:

But 3-gatsu no lion is popular and it has very good ratings ¿? And the manga sells a lot.

Ιs it the same readers and viewers who liked Honey and Clover though?
Mar 25, 2019 5:06 AM
Sep 2018
i feel like zankyou no terror is ignored for how bland some of the characters are but the world and music can just absorb you in and make the show enjoyable
Mar 25, 2019 5:46 AM
Apr 2016
Not everyone gonna watch an anime about a sport they are not familiar with. Ive heard banana fish is good but I'm not interested in seeing romance between two guys.
Mar 25, 2019 5:58 AM
Sep 2016
nightcrawlercyp said:
Muzashi said:
3-gatsu no Lion
true. Maybe it is much more but if you do not understand the game can you enjoy it?

Not if you're an idiot (about understanding the shogi bit). The show's definitely not rocket science.
Maybe it's just me who's too flexible so getting into something I don't have prior knowledge of isn't that hard...though I know people who have it among their favorite anime and know nothing about shogi... idk...depends on how flexible and adaptable the person is
JudoJDMar 25, 2019 6:06 AM
1.1.Six
Mar 25, 2019 6:00 AM

Mar 2018
AddiTeacha2 said:
Not everyone gonna watch an anime about a sport they are not familiar with. Ive heard banana fish is good but I'm not interested in seeing romance between two guys.

There's no romance Its purely platonic ffs. Banana Fish was my favourite anime of 2018. So I'm telling you its worth a watch
Review please!

Mar 25, 2019 6:02 AM

Oct 2010
petran79 said:
jal90 said:

Ιs it the same readers and viewers who liked Honey and Clover though?

I don't know. I need to check that info for Honey and Clover.
Mar 25, 2019 6:37 AM

Nov 2011
nightcrawlercyp said:
Muzashi said:
3-gatsu no Lion

I don't understand shogi but still really liked the show.. (Maybe) I would like it more if I understand their strategy.. But the character's drama is enough for me ...
I also didn't understand the strategy in Hikaru no Go, I also really liked it ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Mar 25, 2019 7:38 AM

Sep 2018
nightcrawlercyp said:
TheProblemIsntMe said:
Monster because of its older style of animation. But i think it adds to the whole story.
Monster has a different problem. Its too slow and convoluted. Tried to watch it but the pacing is awful.

I guess you can day that, but its gotta develop the characters and if you want it to go straight into action you are going to be completely disappointed.
Mar 25, 2019 7:56 AM

Mar 2018
TheProblemIsntMe said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
Monster has a different problem. Its too slow and convoluted. Tried to watch it but the pacing is awful.

I guess you can day that, but its gotta develop the characters and if you want it to go straight into action you are going to be completely disappointed.

Is it worth it in the end? I wanted to start it
Review please!

Mar 25, 2019 8:41 AM

Aug 2012
JudoJD said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

Not if you're an idiot (about understanding the shogi bit). The show's definitely not rocket science.
Maybe it's just me who's too flexible so getting into something I don't have prior knowledge of isn't that hard...though I know people who have it among their favorite anime and know nothing about shogi... idk...depends on how flexible and adaptable the person is
1. nice start by insulting people 2. I would not watch an anime based on chess either which is a familiar game 3. generally the less you know about things in general the more flexible you are about things you do not know 4. It was not about it being rocket science but if you could enjoy it or not. 5. So based on you comment I assume you have learned shogi from the show and can actually play a game?
nightcrawlercypMar 25, 2019 8:47 AM
Mar 25, 2019 8:46 AM

Aug 2012
TheProblemIsntMe said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

That was not the point. It wastes too many episodes just developping characters. It is not integrated organically into the story.
Mar 25, 2019 9:31 AM

Sep 2018
P1X3LD3M0N said:

Well in my opinion it is definitely worth it. It has everything you need in an anime (That being interesting characters and interesting plot)

nightcrawlercyp said:
That was not the point. It wastes too many episodes just developping characters. It is not integrated organically into the story.

It is organically integrated, they develop the characters with what the characters naturally do, but I'm saying if you were expecting every episode to be some cool fighting or action shit, well then the anime is not for you. The anime is supposed to be slow and methodical because it is a psychological horror. You're supposed to think about the characters, why they do what they do, and try to understand their point of view and their ideologies.
Mar 25, 2019 9:46 AM

Aug 2012
TheProblemIsntMe said:
P1X3LD3M0N said:

Well in my opinion it is definitely worth it. It has everything you need in an anime (That being interesting characters and interesting plot)

nightcrawlercyp said:

It is organically integrated, they develop the characters with what the characters naturally do, but I'm saying if you were expecting every episode to be some cool fighting or action shit, well then the anime is not for you. The anime is supposed to be slow and methodical because it is a psychological horror. You're supposed to think about the characters, why they do what they do, and try to understand their point of view and their ideologies.
I am not sure when I dropped it but I remember I saw at least 13 episodes of it. I think it was still ongoing at the time. My recollections of the show are pretty vague as it was a long time ago. What I can remember clearly is how badass the OST was. And slowly you start to realize...
After I read the negative reviews I remembered some of the things that made it drop it from having to mention every few episodes that nazies were bad (which while is true for some for others they were just fighting for their country and many actions are blown out of proportion. Not only most big countries done the same muslim atrocities can beat them easily) and making it seem that hypnotizing people is so damn easy.
Also as a side note at 8.69 the show cannot be considered underrated maybe the opposite.
nightcrawlercypMar 25, 2019 10:04 AM
Mar 25, 2019 9:49 AM

Sep 2013
Tarotist said:
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.
Gundam
Evangelion
Eureka Seven
Gurren Lagann
Gunbuster

They're mecha anime.

I know literally only one person that likes mecha anime and I know a lot of ppl that enjoy anime overall
totaly agree
Mar 25, 2019 9:57 AM

May 2017
THE RAPEMAN

https://myanimelist.net/anime/4714/The_Rapeman

RAPEMAN RAPEMAN RAPEMAN!!!!
Mar 25, 2019 10:05 AM

Jan 2018
I'd probably say niche stuff over anything else gets avoided.

I don't know if it's heavily avoided, but I'd definitely recommend Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju. It's a pretty good drama and the art style and animation are actually good which is a surprise considering who animated it.
What a beautiful Duwang
Mar 25, 2019 10:40 AM

Jul 2016
nightcrawlercyp said:
Tarotist said:
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.
Gundam
Evangelion
Eureka Seven
Gurren Lagann
Gunbuster

They're mecha anime.
Maybe because both eva and eureka seven are giant turds? just saying not everyone likes them. Also Gundam is a mecha and at least for me a mecha must have something extra to warrant seeing it. Megas was a good comedy Vandread a good romance but what does Gundam have?

Most of the time Gundam has a pretty good story.

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

Mar 25, 2019 10:44 AM

Sep 2018
nightcrawlercyp said:
I am not sure when I dropped it but I remember I saw at least 13 episodes of it. I think it was still ongoing at the time. My recollections of the show are pretty vague as it was a long time ago. What I can remember clearly is how badass the OST was. And slowly you start to realize...
After I read the negative reviews I remembered some of the things that made it drop it from having to mention every few episodes that nazies were bad (which while is true for some for others they were just fighting for their country and many actions are blown out of proportion. Not only most big countries done the same muslim atrocities can beat them easily) and making it seem that hypnotizing people is so damn easy.
Also as a side note at 8.69 the show cannot be considered underrated maybe the opposite.

Yeah but it takes place after WW2 and the only Nazi's that are left are the ultranationalistic ones (the bad ones) not the ones that are just "fighting for their country" and no one hypnotizes anyone in the show, it's more of manipulation. And although the score might be 8.69, there aren't a lot of people that watched it. (It's popularity is currently only #156)
Mar 25, 2019 10:49 AM

Dec 2013
I never see anyone besides myself talk about Mugen no Ryvius... Aside from the age, I think it's probably ignored because it doesn't have that many mecha battles or anything flashy despite being labeled as mecha. It's much closer to standard space sci-fi than Gundam. The plot is great though.
Mar 25, 2019 1:18 PM
Jul 2018
Greyleaf said:
A lot of people ignore Ping Pong the Animation for its crude art style, or simply the fact that it's labeled as a sports anime. In actuality, the art and animation is a stylistic choice used to convey a certain level of depth and symbolism that a traditional approach would fail to deliver. It's a brilliant coming-of-age story that many will unfortunately miss out on because of this.

That show was amazing. My husband hates sports anime and he hated the art style of Ping Pong but it drew him in pretty quickly.
Same for One Outs, less a sports show and more psychological thriller. The baseball just a setting.

On topic, I have a friend who refuses to watch One Punch Man because....."the title is retarded why do I wanna watch a show that just one punches everything?" Honestly I don't know why we are still friends.
Mar 25, 2019 2:52 PM

Dec 2012
Literally could be anything, insert any title from the database here and it will have haters. People will watch and refuse to watch things according to theirs own taste for their own reasons, some of which other people would find dumb or unreasonable.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Mar 25, 2019 9:05 PM
Jul 2018

A ton of decent ecchi stuff turns a lot of people away,

I'm saying it here and now people, you can watch lewd humor and not be lewd yourself, you can laugh at a protag peeping and not be a statistic, but if at the end of the day your moral high ground is so absolute that you cant find it funny... then that's okay too. Variety is the spice of life, and thanks to the massive diversity of shows, we can afford to be a little picky.
Mar 25, 2019 9:42 PM
Jan 2017
yuruzu said:
Muzashi said:
3-gatsu no Lion

100% agreed.
Just the fact that so little people even mentioned it or even bother to check it out baffles me,considering the fact that the second season is #8 on MAL.

Yeah I haven't watched it because I think that it is just going to be all about shogi and many people are avoiding it just because of that only.
Mar 25, 2019 10:18 PM
Apr 2018
Chihayafuru cause it's both in the sport genre and marketed to the josei demographic. Both groups are very specific and doesn't get much traction from most people
Mar 25, 2019 10:27 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Fune wo Amu, because of its about making a dictionary.
Its way better and interesting than you think, really.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Mar 26, 2019 12:51 AM
Oct 2018
Master Keaton, which I guess is ignored for the same reasons as Monster (from the same creator, and almost the same animation team), except more so.

Amazingly good series, but kind of exists outside of standard anime genres, and from the outside, just looks boring, with none of the usual stuff that anime audiences like- it's not edgy, there's no cute schoolgirls, or even romance, no flashy super-powers or magic or scifi space-tech. And I can't even describe the appeal, really, but it's one of the best series I've ever watched.

Also the 2012 re-boot of Lupin III. I guess because it's Lupin III, which seems to be a pretty 'niche' fandom? But that series probably has the best art of anime I've seen, and is another 9 or 10 out of 10 anime.

Also Sabu and Ichi's Arrest Warrant/Sabu to Ichi Torimono Hikae- because it's old af (1968) and black and white. But still insanely good.

Mar 26, 2019 5:09 AM

Dec 2017
SkydiverRed said:
Run with the wind has been mostly ignored because people think it's only good for athletes.

I completely agree, and this goes for most sports animes.
"I don't want to watch haikyuu cause I don't like volleyball"... People should really try being more open minded, it's not even about the sport itself it's about other things
Mar 26, 2019 5:50 AM

Mar 2018
Waro9 said:
Chihayafuru cause it's both in the sport genre and marketed to the josei demographic. Both groups are very specific and doesn't get much traction from most people

Is it good tho? I heard a season 3 is coming
Review please!

Mar 26, 2019 6:02 AM

Dec 2015
P1X3LD3M0N said:
Waro9 said:

Is it good tho? I heard a season 3 is coming

It's great. I'm really stoked for season 3. You have to like airheaded protagonists though.

Cossette no Shouzou because it's old, it's an OVA short and it's done by Akiyuki Shinbou before he went to Shaft. The story isn't the deepest but it's an entertaining series.
Mar 26, 2019 6:13 AM
Apr 2016
In my experience:

JoJo's Bizzare Adventure: The art style mainly and the first season is pretty boring.

Made in Abyss: Again art style. Looks to childish when I try to sell it as a surprisingly dark series. Doesn't help that the first few episodes aren't that dark.

Kekkai Sensen: I mention the word "episodic" and it turns a lot of people off.

Idk I just have had a difficult time getting people to watch these shows.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - Apr 26

26 by Skuletor »»
2 minutes ago

» Do your parents even know that you have a waifu?

Spunkert - Yesterday

15 by alshu »»
4 minutes ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 3 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Apr 29

105 by DreamWindow »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - Apr 23

44 by DesolatePsyche »»
8 minutes ago

» Has there been an anime fanbase that hyped up their anime so much that you were turned off from watching it?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 26

20 by Ratris_Decision »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.