Forum Settings
Forums

List of good Anime people ignore for a certain reason

New
Mar 23, 2019 10:59 AM

Mar 2018
For example, One Outs is an amazing anime and I think the MC is as smart as Lelouche or Light or L. But since its about baseball alot of people ignore it. Any anime like that?
LOOKING FOR ARTISTS PLEASE MESSAGE ME IF YOU'RE ONE
Review please!

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 23, 2019 11:04 AM

Sep 2017
Run with the wind has been mostly ignored because people think it's only good for athletes.
Mar 23, 2019 11:04 AM
Jul 2018
People ignore Gurazeni because CGI and the MC isn't a bishonen teenager. Never mind that it's a refreshing take on the sports genre.

Really though, I wish people would give it a chance.
Mar 23, 2019 9:00 PM

Oct 2010
Why are you guys all recommending sports anime?

But speaking of... One Outs is in my PTW but I honestly am not looking forward to it. Doesn't seem much of my thing. I'm sure it will be a fun watch though.

I knew about Gurazeni's manga and the idea intrigued me but the anime? I know it has its fans but mixed reactions + a concept that really doesn't grab me further than as a curiosity = not interested. I could check the manga if anything.

Run with the wind is a definitive will watch. I wanted to wait at least till it finished airing.
Mar 23, 2019 9:04 PM

Jan 2018
A lot of people ignore Ping Pong the Animation for its crude art style, or simply the fact that it's labeled as a sports anime. In actuality, the art and animation is a stylistic choice used to convey a certain level of depth and symbolism that a traditional approach would fail to deliver. It's a brilliant coming-of-age story that many will unfortunately miss out on because of this.
GreyleafMar 23, 2019 10:56 PM

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Mar 23, 2019 9:23 PM

Aug 2018
Yes, every show before 2005 because it's old... that is lame af.
Mar 23, 2019 9:25 PM

Mar 2018
nyohoho said:
P1X3LD3M0N said:
For example, One Outs is an amazing anime and I think the MC is as smart as Lelouche or Light or L. But since its about baseball alot of people ignore it. Any anime like that?

Maybe because it’s based on baseball? You’d have to have quite a good understanding of a sport to enjoy a sports anime

No you don't usually the anime explains the basics. Its the teamwork and the will and hope the MC team has to win. In One Outs its watching the very smart plays of the MC.
LOOKING FOR ARTISTS PLEASE MESSAGE ME IF YOU'RE ONE
Review please!

Mar 23, 2019 9:30 PM
Nov 2018
Bloom into You has a good rating but people are hesitant to watch it due to it being a shoujo ai (lesbian) and even though I haven’t seen many in the same genre, I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought of it as an ideal romance anime.
Mar 23, 2019 9:35 PM

May 2015
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.
Gundam
Evangelion
Eureka Seven
Gurren Lagann
Gunbuster

They're mecha anime.
Mar 23, 2019 9:36 PM

Jun 2015
Symphogear cuz the art of the first season, and it being magical girl, musical. Tho the actual anime is damn straight cool action all the time

Nanoha is abit similar on that, plus it's a long running franchise

Mar 23, 2019 10:33 PM

Aug 2018
There's obviously Madoka, which turns people off due to its art style (complaints usually go along the lines of "it's too weird, man"). Another example would be Made in Abyss, which also misleads the audience with the character designs.
It's interesting to note that in both cases, it's a creative decision to take a gamble with the risk of losing a certain portion of the audience for the sake of delivering a bigger twist later on, a reward of sorts for those who stick around. (Of course, these art styles attract another group of people at the same time, which probably compensates enough.)
Asobi Asobase also pulls off a flawless masquerade with its OP, flagrantly juxtaposing the cute with the uncouth in a fresh, lip-smacking display of wit, climaxing in prime delinquency with its ED.

A lot of older anime would also fit the bill, owing to animation that many nowadays find unappealing.

It's be interesting to see more examples where the art style and intentionally misleading marketing are not the primary reason for an anime being ignored. I presume this would boil down to a take of an unexciting subject.
Mar 23, 2019 10:46 PM

Dec 2018
I don’t think there is an anime that isn’t avoided by a lot of people for some reason tbh haha. Everything has an anti group.

- Paychological anime are pretentious crap with fake depth.

- Battle shounens are childish and generic.

- SoL is boring.

- Old animation styles are ugly.

- New anime is garbage industry is dying.

Just a few examples but, everything has a fair amount of people avoiding it for a bias similar to what’s above XD
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Mar 23, 2019 10:52 PM

Dec 2017
Nichijou, because it is just everyday life

Chio chan no tsuugakuro because it doesn't look appealing

Gintama because of its boring initial eps.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Mar 23, 2019 10:55 PM
Jul 2018
Tarotist said:
Gundam
Evangelion
Eureka Seven
Gurren Lagann
Gunbuster

They're mecha anime.

People still talk about Eva and Ghost in the Shell...

Anyways, I'm just gonna list some anime in my underrated tag. I know some of them aren't really too underrated and some of these shows have a good amount of fans, but still...
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - it's very heavy on Japanese culture and society. Also, it's Shaft.
School Rumble - it's basically looks like your average high school rom-com
Princess Tutu - its cutesy art style
The World God Only Knows - I guess it's the cutesy art style as well
Gosick - many people are not really huge fans of historical fiction I guess
Full Metal Panic - not actually sure on this, but its quite ignored nowadays because its a freaking mecha show
ef - people don't know this show so much probably because it came out the same time as Clannad and ef was outshadowed by it. Also, again, it's Shaft.
Baccano - it doesn't really have an anime feel into it. Plus, there is a huge lack of common anime tropes. In other words, it doesn't catch interest to many otakus.

And I guess people ignore many people nowadays ignore shows that are 10+ years old because, "it's old and we would rather watch new things instead!"
Mar 24, 2019 2:10 AM

Oct 2017
3-gatsu no Lion
People always overlook this anime just because it has the word "shogi" in the description. But it's actually much much more than that.
Mar 24, 2019 2:42 AM

Jan 2019
Alice_Synthesis said:
It's not only in anime. The horror genre is underrated.

I just started watching Higurashi and man, that is a completely messed up show but intriguing enough for me to want to watch it to the end to try and unravel the mystery.
Mar 24, 2019 2:45 AM

Nov 2016
*insert anime with 50+ episodes*

It's too long and I rather prefer to believe that it will suck so that I have an excuse for not watching it.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 24, 2019 2:46 AM

Jan 2019
Hokage_Jason said:

Yeah, Death Note kinda ruined the whole psychological anime thing for me because I found it to be exactly that, pretentious, boring trash that wasn't anywhere near as smart as it thought it was with an over-reliance on inner monologue and bullshit deus ex machina's to move the plot forward. I'll take pretty much any opportunity to bash Death Note but it's just my opinion :P

But overall I agree with you, dude. You will always find people for pretty much any anime that exists that will be totally opposed to the genre/show for whatever reason.
Mar 24, 2019 2:51 AM

Feb 2018
Saiki Kusuo no psi nan gets overlooked all the time.
Mar 24, 2019 2:55 AM

Aug 2018
Houseki no Kuni people thinks it's bad only because it is animated in CGI.

"God is Dead"
Mar 24, 2019 3:10 AM

Mar 2019
i ignore anime if i don't fancy it. i don't care if it is popular

You Can Not Build The World With Beauty!
You Need Brain And Muscle!

Oh, Seriously?

Then You Can Not Destroy The World With Beauty!
Instead, You Need Brain And Muscle To Do So!
Only People With The Most Superior Brains And Muscles
Can Be The Best At Destroying This World!
But Who Has More Superior Brain And Muscle Anyway?
Me Or Her?

Mar 24, 2019 3:13 AM

Nov 2016
nyohoho said:
P1X3LD3M0N said:

Maybe because it’s based on baseball? You’d have to have quite a good understanding of a sport to enjoy a sports anime

A lot of sport animes do a great job at introducing people to these sports, I didn't know anything in baseball or boxing when I started one outs and hajime no ippo but I still enjoyed them to the fullest
Mar 24, 2019 3:19 AM

Nov 2016
The monogatari series, because "it's just people standing around talking"

K on because "it's moe trash"

Every anime before the 2000s because "it looks too old"
Mar 24, 2019 3:21 AM

Nov 2016
IgnisAurumProbat said:

Unfortunetely even though it's the best looking tv anime I've seen in years
Mar 24, 2019 7:22 AM

Dec 2018
CallMeHoot said:
Hokage_Jason said:

Yeah, Death Note kinda ruined the whole psychological anime thing for me because I found it to be exactly that, pretentious, boring trash that wasn't anywhere near as smart as it thought it was with an over-reliance on inner monologue and bullshit deus ex machina's to move the plot forward. I'll take pretty much any opportunity to bash Death Note but it's just my opinion :P

But overall I agree with you, dude. You will always find people for pretty much any anime that exists that will be totally opposed to the genre/show for whatever reason.

I can’t say I entirely agree but partially, enough to respect your opinion haha. It definitely entertained me so I wouldn’t call it garbage but it’s definitely overrated. The entire second half was just meh, Light was obnoxious and hard to stand at times, and holy shit do people overrate the psychological/moral depth of the show. So I can understand people not liking it.

Shit, even battle shounens like naruto and one piece have posed greater thought provoking themes than death note lmao.
Lolicons are scum.
Mar 24, 2019 7:24 AM

Jan 2019
nyohoho said:
P1X3LD3M0N said:

no you don't
i knew nothing about baseball before watching my first baseball anime
and i quite enjoyed it

but it makes sense that people avoid settings they don't find intriguing

IgnisAurumProbat said:

its cancer to my eyes, sorry but i couldn't put up with it no matter how fantastic the story and characters are
i do plan on reading the manga though eventually, i just dont want to start another publishing manga right now so im probably gonna wait till it finishes
Mar 24, 2019 7:26 AM

Jul 2016
Madoka Magica because "Hur Dur little girls look so childish"
Mar 24, 2019 7:28 AM

Jan 2019
Hokage_Jason said:
CallMeHoot said:

I can’t say I entirely agree but partially, enough to respect your opinion haha. It definitely entertained me so I wouldn’t call it garbage but it’s definitely overrated. The entire second half was just meh, Light was obnoxious and hard to stand at times, and holy shit do people overrate the psychological/moral depth of the show. So I can understand people not liking it.

Shit, even battle shounens like naruto and one piece have posed greater thought provoking themes than death note lmao.

I went into Naruto expecting something like DBZ, I was so pleasantly surprised when it became apparent that the show had about 10 times the heart that DBZ had. Not only that but the overall themes of overcoming adversity, loneliness, friendship, family...man...Naruto is just a solid, solid show.

Death Note is a show made for and made by supreme edge lords. Lol. Again, that's just my opinion, I'm sure there are people who will be more than happy to shout that down.

Hope you're doing good though, dude :))
Mar 24, 2019 7:28 AM

Sep 2018
Monster because of its older style of animation. But i think it adds to the whole story.
Mar 24, 2019 7:31 AM
Feb 2017
FMmatron said:

It's too long and I rather prefer to believe that it will suck so that I have an excuse for not watching it.

For me, I'd rather just not have to watch a show that is 50+ episodes unless I have great time or dedication to watch it. I hate leaving shows on hold (except if the show is just boring).
Mar 24, 2019 7:36 AM

Feb 2010
Why are people only listing very popular shows and pretending that they get ignored when in reality everyone in the anime community knows about them?

Gurazeni feels like the only one that really belongs in here if you look at viewer numbers, and I'm pretty sure it's not so much because of the age of the MC, but rather because of its mostly episodic nature and generally not really being a classic sports anime. People who aren't into sports anime avoid it because of the sports tag and people who are into sports anime avoid it because it isn't really a traditional sports anime, but a slow, episodic slice of life show about the underbelly of the baseball community. There is almost noone left to watch the show aside from people like me who'd give almost anything a try and/or who love episodic shows.

It's still probably in my top 3 anime of last year. Just a really good show. I don't even want to finish Season 2 because then it'll be over :(
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 24, 2019 7:39 AM

Jan 2019
-One Outs: Like you said I don't have the slightest idea about baseball so it's quite low on my priority list
-Death Note: After death of L, it looks like I lost all my will to complete it.
-Higurashi: I have watched the first season and the repeating timeline and mindless gore has bored me to death.
-One Piece/DBZ/Naruto: I seriously don't think I'll ever be able to catch up with any of these anime because they are quite long drawn.
Mar 24, 2019 7:42 AM

Feb 2010
BlakexEkalb said:
FMmatron said:

For me, I'd rather just not have to watch a show that is 50+ episodes unless I have great time or dedication to watch it. I hate leaving shows on hold (except if the show is just boring).

Isn't that basically what he said? People always skip on long shows because they focus on the worst case scenario of them not getting into it and having to slugh through, instead of expecting to love it and being glad that there's so many eps of a potential favorite. Whether you 'expect it to suck' or you don't expect to have the 'dedication' to watch it, it boils down to the same kind of negative expectations.

Btw you don't 'have to' watch anything, you can always just stop and drop it if you don't like it. But the upside of finding a show that you love that also has a ton of eps so it isn't over before it really started like most of the 1-cour shows, definitely makes it worth giving them a try.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 24, 2019 7:45 AM

Dec 2018
CallMeHoot said:
Hokage_Jason said:

I went into Naruto expecting something like DBZ, I was so pleasantly surprised when it became apparent that the show had about 10 times the heart that DBZ had. Not only that but the overall themes of overcoming adversity, loneliness, friendship, family...man...Naruto is just a solid, solid show.

Death Note is a show made for and made by supreme edge lords. Lol. Again, that's just my opinion, I'm sure there are people who will be more than happy to shout that down.

Yeah I’ve been doing solid mate, thanks!

And you wanna talk about absolute edge lord writing, watch a couple episodes of elfen lied some time LOL. I have never seen such a faceless attempt to sell gore and tits for the sake of gore and tits. Absolutely nothing but a girl walking around either half naked or ripping people limb from limb.

As for naruto, I’m a huge fanboy so anything I say is probably a bit biased, but I agree. DBZ was my childhood so it will always hold a special place, but I think naruto surpasses it in almost every aspect. Especially when you’re talking plot substance.

I don’t wanna go off on it too much cause I’ll spoil shit but hopefully you continue to enjoy it. Shippuden is where the plot gets reallllllly good, what you’ve watched thus far was basically just build up for the upcoming rollercoaster ride.

Spoiler free final thoughts on naruto:

Might Guy best character.
Lolicons are scum.
Mar 24, 2019 8:06 AM
Feb 2017
Pullman said:
BlakexEkalb said:

Isn't that basically what he said? People always skip on long shows because they focus on the worst case scenario of them not getting into it and having to slugh through, instead of expecting to love it and being glad that there's so many eps of a potential favorite. Whether you 'expect it to suck' or you don't expect to have the 'dedication' to watch it, it boils down to the same kind of negative expectations.

Btw you don't 'have to' watch anything, you can always just stop and drop it if you don't like it. But the upside of finding a show that you love that also has a ton of eps so it isn't over before it really started like most of the 1-cour shows, definitely makes it worth giving them a try.

It shouldn't be an issue at all to drop it if I don't like it, but I really don't like leaving things unfinished, it bugs me. I only have a few shows on On-Hold and 1 for Dropped, but I'll come back to them eventually, I just wasn't in the mood to watch those shows.
Mar 24, 2019 8:18 AM

Nov 2011
-Rogue said:

-Higurashi: I have watched the first season and the repeating timeline and mindless gore has bored me to death.

You should try Higurashi Kai, it is really different with first season, it answers all those repeating timelines and stuff, and it is also really different in atmosphere.. After watched Kai, maybe you will also appreciate first season more ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Mar 24, 2019 8:25 AM

Jan 2019
Jim_Heart said:

You should try Higurashi Kai, it is really different with first season, it answers all those repeating timelines and stuff, and it is also really different in atmosphere.. After watched Kai, maybe you will also appreciate first season more ...

I really hope it clears up the messy timeline, thanks for the suggestion. I'll certainly give it a try soon.
Mar 24, 2019 8:51 AM

Apr 2018
Most horror anime. They're typically turned away from the gore when anime like Shiki, Shinsekai Yori, Monster, Higurashi, etc., have a lot more depth than your conventional MS horror movies.
Mar 24, 2019 9:04 AM

Dec 2015
nyohoho said:
P1X3LD3M0N said:

Not true. I watched Eyeshield 21 and I know little to nothing about the game and I still enjoyed it.
Mar 24, 2019 9:58 AM

Jan 2019
Hokage_Jason said:
CallMeHoot said:

And you wanna talk about absolute edge lord writing, watch a couple episodes of elfen lied some time LOL. I have never seen such a faceless attempt to sell gore and tits for the sake of gore and tits. Absolutely nothing but a girl walking around either half naked or ripping people limb from limb.

As for naruto, I’m a huge fanboy so anything I say is probably a bit biased, but I agree. DBZ was my childhood so it will always hold a special place, but I think naruto surpasses it in almost every aspect. Especially when you’re talking plot substance.

I don’t wanna go off on it too much cause I’ll spoil shit but hopefully you continue to enjoy it. Shippuden is where the plot gets reallllllly good, what you’ve watched thus far was basically just build up for the upcoming rollercoaster ride.

Soon as I finish Higurashi I'll jump on Elfen Lied :) I'm finding it enjoyable watching new shows even if they are bad because it's giving me an appreciation of what is actually good and helping me refine my taste in anime, I mean I came into this medium not knowing what the hell I would enjoy or not.

So far I'm finding the comedy anime I've watched is giving me the most enjoyment, but I haven't hit a bad comedy yet so we'll see.

As for best Naruto characters I have to agree with ya. Me and my mate quote Guy and Rock Lee endlessly at the gym (in the voices of the characters). It's hilarious. Random people walking last must think we are proper goons.
Mar 24, 2019 9:45 PM

Apr 2015
There are lots of 70s-90s anime that gets ignore because of the lack of pretty colors.
Mar 24, 2019 10:20 PM

Dec 2015
MITSUDOMOE for the excessive pee and snot humour in episode 2 and it's vague similarity to kodomo no jikan in its first episode.

Also I thought this was "good shows (in your opinion) that people ignore" not "shows everyone says are good which I ignore" which most people seem to be listing
siccoyoteMar 24, 2019 10:36 PM
Mar 24, 2019 11:13 PM

Apr 2017
SkydiverRed said:
Run with the wind has been mostly ignored because people think it's only good for athletes.

exactly this, run with the wind is has a great plot/characters and for some reason isn't that popular despite it being a good show.

-Rogue said:
-One Piece/DBZ/Naruto: I seriously don't think I'll ever be able to catch up with any of these anime because they are quite long drawn.

easy solution, read the manga.
Mar 25, 2019 12:06 AM
Sep 2017
Tarotist said:
Gundam
Evangelion
Eureka Seven
Gurren Lagann
Gunbuster

They're mecha anime.

I feel personally attacked by this comment.
“There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground ... and miss."
Mar 25, 2019 12:13 AM

Aug 2012
Tarotist said:
Gundam
Evangelion
Eureka Seven
Gurren Lagann
Gunbuster

They're mecha anime.
Maybe because both eva and eureka seven are giant turds? just saying not everyone likes them. Also Gundam is a mecha and at least for me a mecha must have something extra to warrant seeing it. Megas was a good comedy Vandread a good romance but what does Gundam have?
Mar 25, 2019 12:16 AM

Aug 2012
Muzashi said:
3-gatsu no Lion
People always overlook this anime just because it has the word "shogi" in the description. But it's actually much much more than that.
true. Maybe it is much more but if you do not understand the game can you enjoy it?
Mar 25, 2019 12:18 AM

Aug 2012
JoyBoy_316 said:
The monogatari series, because "it's just people standing around talking"

K on because "it's moe trash"

Every anime before the 2000s because "it looks too old"
monogatari series merchandise sells like hot bread so I do not think is ignored.
Mar 25, 2019 12:20 AM
Oct 2018
tatami galaxy because of the dialogue speed
Mar 25, 2019 12:21 AM

Aug 2012
TheProblemIsntMe said:
Monster because of its older style of animation. But i think it adds to the whole story.
Monster has a different problem. Its too slow and convoluted. Tried to watch it but the pacing is awful.
Mar 25, 2019 12:23 AM

Aug 2012
CallMeHoot said:
Hokage_Jason said:

Soon as I finish Higurashi I'll jump on Elfen Lied :) I'm finding it enjoyable watching new shows even if they are bad because it's giving me an appreciation of what is actually good and helping me refine my taste in anime, I mean I came into this medium not knowing what the hell I would enjoy or not.

So far I'm finding the comedy anime I've watched is giving me the most enjoyment, but I haven't hit a bad comedy yet so we'll see.

As for best Naruto characters I have to agree with ya. Me and my mate quote Guy and Rock Lee endlessly at the gym (in the voices of the characters). It's hilarious. Random people walking last must think we are proper goons.
Naruto? Its graphics looks like drawn by a four year old, Naruto is way too much of a Gary Stu and the story makes little to no sense.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» 🌹 Anime Questionnaire 2024 🌹

Shizuna - 9 hours ago

27 by phantomic109 »»
1 minute ago

» What's the meaning behind your MAL username?

Gashadokur0 - Today

35 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
4 minutes ago

» Characters born on the same day/month as you ?

Yonahim_Zz - May 13

46 by SaltyCookie »»
6 minutes ago

» What is the Lowest rated anime you have seen?

Animeinsight101 - Yesterday

34 by Daviljoe193 »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Annecy Festival to screen "Who Said Death Is Beautiful?", the "world's first animated movie using AI / Stable Diffusion"

deg - 1 hour ago

5 by Rhae »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.