Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 22, 2019 3:21 AM

Apr 2017
favourite character or overall characters with good design/flaws you like in shonen?
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 22, 2019 3:25 AM

May 2018
There are no good main characters in shounens.
P.S. Okay, I guess it's guys from Jojo

Feb 22, 2019 3:25 AM

May 2014
My boy Tarouza from Doubutsu no Kuni is my favourite shonen MC of all time.

I also really like Zatch, Luffy and Meliodas. Edit: And how could i forget about Goku! Love him too.
FancyjasperFeb 22, 2019 3:37 AM
Feb 22, 2019 3:26 AM

May 2018
Like from all shounen shows or only battle shounen (because people usually understand that under shounen)?
Feb 22, 2019 3:26 AM

Aug 2017
Gon in my eyes is the prime example of a shonen protagonist.

Feb 22, 2019 3:34 AM

Sep 2013
Simon the digger ma man, ma boi, the legend itself
Feb 22, 2019 3:35 AM

Apr 2017
alshu said:
Like from all shounen shows or only battle shounen (because people usually understand that under shounen)?

preferable battle shonen, don't mind if it's not battle shonen though
Feb 22, 2019 3:49 AM

Dec 2017
Gintoki is the best main character of all time including shonen.
Erza is best female character.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Feb 22, 2019 3:52 AM

Sep 2018
I think Gintoki is the best although it's more adult that Shonen to me even if it did come from Shonen Jump.
Feb 22, 2019 12:50 PM

Jun 2017
Saiki Kusuo from Saiki Kusuo no Psi-nan
Feb 22, 2019 12:53 PM

Nov 2016
For me it's Luffy. He's so incredibly likeable.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 22, 2019 12:53 PM

Jan 2017
Onodera Punpun from Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
Feb 22, 2019 12:57 PM

Oct 2017
Gintoki from what I've watched. Hilarious, amazing fighter, mysterious backstory, good character/morals
Hey there! If you'd like to talk about anime or anything else feel free to drop a comment on my page or DM me. I'd be glad to have a conversation and make some new friends :)
My list: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Amazinc?status=7&order=4&order2=0

Feb 22, 2019 12:58 PM

Jun 2016
Hanamichi sakuragi from slam dunk
Kenshin himura from ruroni kenshin
but in most shonen the villains and the rivals are more well written than the goofball main character.
Feb 22, 2019 1:00 PM

Aug 2018
Gon. Hands down. If Monogatari was a shounen it would be Koyomi.
Feb 22, 2019 1:05 PM

Sep 2018
Personally like most of the Jojo protags or Edward Elric. I like Ed because you see him grow and develop throughout, and how him and Al go from some sad kids to a matured young adults.
Feb 22, 2019 1:14 PM

Jul 2007
Arale Norimaki, obviously!

Hoyoyo!
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Feb 22, 2019 1:23 PM

Jan 2018
Yato From Noragami
And
Meliodas From Nanatsu No Taizai
Are The Best.
Feb 22, 2019 3:18 PM
Jul 2018
Edward Elric (not 100% sure if he counts as shonen) or Joesph Joestar
Feb 22, 2019 3:34 PM

Jul 2017
Obviously Gintoki. He has the best development among all the shounen protagonists I've ever seen, and the most interesting personality and backstory by far. I mean, how many shounen protagonists have his apathetic and silly personality? Not to talk about that he's one of the few protagonists that aren't impulsive or plain stupid.
Feb 22, 2019 3:44 PM

Dec 2015
Eikichi Onizuka. <- best one, dunno where in hell u find someone better then Onizuka.

Moritaka Mashiro.

Akari Mizunashi.

Futaba Ooki.

Gorou Honda.

Kou Kitamura.

Char Aznable.

Tatara Fujita

Uesugi Tatsuya.

Eiichirou Maruo.

Feb 22, 2019 3:54 PM

Dec 2018
I’d say luffy or goku if you’re talking battle shounens. Yusuke, Gon and Naruto all get outshined by side characters in their respective animes.

Out of any shounen though I have no idea.
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Feb 22, 2019 4:25 PM

May 2017
The longer I think about this question, the more I realize that I don't have a battle shōnen main character I really like, moreover I see as fav lol

I guess Imma go with Deku from MHA, he often uses his head in critical situations, I like that.

Feb 22, 2019 4:40 PM

May 2017
I definitely have to go with Gon from HxH.
Feb 22, 2019 4:46 PM

Aug 2018
Mob or Itsuki Minami but Mob "???" makes me too happy.
Baseball is the new game.
Feb 22, 2019 5:05 PM

Jul 2017
top 3 contenders

sakuragi hanamichi form slam dunk

onizuka from GTO

joe yabuki from ashita no joe

the rest from the mainstream shounen i've watched are meh to me
Feb 22, 2019 5:13 PM
Jul 2018
Nemo_Niemand said:
There are no good main characters in shounens.
P.S. Okay, I guess it's guys from Jojo

Jotaro Kujo is my favorite anime character of all time (as of the time I'm writing this): He's what a majority of shounen anime protagonists should strive to be: cool, calm, badass.

Zip_Zip said:
The longer I think about this question, the more I realize that I don't have a battle shōnen main character I really like, moreover I see as fav lol

I guess Imma go with Deku from MHA, he often uses his head in critical situations, I like that.

I also really like Deku. Sure, he's not one of my favorite characters, but I find him to be really endearing. Also, like you said, he really uses his head.

Hokage_Jason said:
I’d say luffy or goku if you’re talking battle shounens. Yusuke, Gon and Naruto all get outshined by side characters in their respective animes.

Out of any shounen though I have no idea.

I don't understand why Luffy is popular (not trying to start an argument, just trying to encourage discussion). I find him to be very stale and annoying.

AllHailLelouch87 said:
Obviously Gintoki. He has the best development among all the shounen protagonists I've ever seen, and the most interesting personality and backstory by far. I mean, how many shounen protagonists have his apathetic and silly personality? Not to talk about that he's one of the few protagonists that aren't impulsive or plain stupid.

I remember from the first few episodes of Gintama I watched, Gintoki appeared really stupid. Is he one of those, "appears stupid but is actually really smart" characters?

shazzyy said:
Edward Elric (not 100% sure if he counts as shonen) or Joesph Joestar

FMA is shounen, so it counts.
removed-userFeb 22, 2019 5:16 PM
Feb 22, 2019 5:27 PM
May 2017
Edward Elric is definitely not like the average shonen protag. He's actually smart, and has traits besides "dumb but is rlly battle smart lel."

I like Gon a lot too. It's not so much for his characterization but his arc. Going through a dark evolution isn't very common and how it's juxtaposed with Meruem's arc really is something.
thevagus said:
Erza is best female character.
Y'all out here stanning mary sues huh lmao
Feb 22, 2019 5:44 PM
Jul 2018
I just take the protagonists here.

My favorites:

Yato from Noragami

He is one of the most interesting main characters. He is absolutely fun to watch too, but also has a very serious side, some very interesting views on life, where he shows that he is much older and way less dorky than he normally acts, and depth to him due his inner conflicts and his relationships with others. All of his relationships feel so dynamic and good and fun to watch too and that's important to me.
He just feels very believable and human, although he isn't, in his own ways to me.
The really great thing about him is that his development takes a lot of hardship and isn't something easy to achieve.

Allen from D.Gray-man

He is a "typical" all-loving protagonist and also could be hot-tempered too, but he feels very, very real to me, because he reacts often pretty natural, and has an interesting take on his personality. He feels so much guilt towards Mana that he wants to become like him (or he thought he has been) and tries to hide parts of his personality to the point that even one of his outfits get a mask, which I thought was pretty awesome.
Sometimes I'm not sure about very moral characters. Normally I really like my kind-hearted, sweet souls (hidden or not xD), but there are some I dislike, because they are too annoying and preachy, but it's the opposite for Allen lol Well because I think he appears as more real and he is also believably resilient.
Also, he is intelligent and sassy af. xD

I don't know which to take from The Promised Neverland, but all of them lol
I don't want to spoiler, so the very short: Emma is such a good and motherly soul, Norman is very analytical but not cold or anything and Ray... I first judged him a little bit as edgy too, but he is actually more.
They are smart and appear as older than they are, but it's believable, because the other children are shown as actual children and so you get that they are just above them mentally.

Guren from the Owari no Seraph light novels

He is someone I don't know if I should love or hate him, but at least I think he is a not so typical shounen protagonist and I understand his decisions. He becomes sympathic due his grey character, his failures and his (not anywhere near healthy but great) relationship with Mahiru.
Also I thought he is believable and I also have a very soft spot for "not THAT 'likeable', but still likeable" characters... and he has a lot going on in his mind too haha.

Others:

Eren from Attack on Titan - I know many people don't like him, but I think I learn to like him very much because of the same reasons others might dislike him. Really like his many character flaws and I dunno, so far I often could feel for him.

Yuu from Owari no Seraph - I like the take on his character in some ways. He has a lot of issues, feels not that... sane *cough* anymore and also has the same self-hatred as Mika, but shows it differently. He thinks he is shit, if he isn't useful and can be used by others. And overall he is not unlikeable.

Oz from Pandora Heart - He also feels believable and has depth to him, because of his family and self struggles. He is very likeable, has a lot of his own personality traits and it's easy to sympathize with him.

Vanitas from Vanitas no Carte - I think you could pick him as prota there and he is a very good one. At first I didn't know what to think about him, but I came to really like him.

Lag from Tegamibachi - Another cute protagonist. It's easy to feel for him and suffer with him, because he is a very likeable kid, but he also feels very resilient for his age.

Ed from Fullmetal Alchemist - He is overall a very good character, personality-wise and never overpowered, but I think he got more impact in the 2003 version. Also he is likeable and not that unrealistic.

Shinji from Neon Genesis Evangelion - I actually suffered with him and understand him / get his issues and I love the series for showing these and how such a traumatic situation like fighting in an epic war would impact a real human being.

Chise from the Ancient Magus Bride - Does she count? I really like her development and character insights and progress.

Deku from Boku no Hero Academia - He is a good main character as well, but I can't bring myself to like him that much than the others, but I still do ofc.

Arslan from Arslan Senki - I really like that there is a more feminine male shounen protagonist and his overall character and strength he found.

Mahmut from Shoukoku no Altair - I thought he is pretty good and likeable main character I really could cheer and feel for.

And from Magi, I would pick Alibaba instead of Aladdin tho.
removed-userFeb 23, 2019 3:49 AM
Feb 22, 2019 5:49 PM

Jul 2017
imo i think its Gintoki from Gintama
/url].
Feb 22, 2019 5:52 PM

Feb 2016
Feb 22, 2019 7:54 PM
Feb 2014
Usually, the main protagonist in an anime is not my favorite character, usually i prefer another one of the main characters or a supporting character but there's some Shounen main characeters which i do like more:

Mahmut Tuğrul from Shoukoku no Altair: Actually, my favorite character from the anime, he's definitely not your typical shounen protag either, he's very intelligent, cool, calm and composed.
He's also a brilliant strategist and capable, brave leader! I loved his character and watching him progress throughout the anime.

Lag Seeing from Tegamibachi: Adorable and lovable MC, that you can't help but love! He's sooo innocent and pure, i love him even if sometimes his complete unwillingness to punish even bad people pissed me off, he's still one of my favorite characters that i'll always want to see more of and root for!

Soushi Miketsukami from Inu X Boku SS: Even though i don't know if it counts, since he's from a rom com, but it's still tagged as shounen sooo.....I absolutely love Miketsukami's personality!!! How he's sooo loyal and devoted, willing to go through any lenghts for the girl he loves and would do absolutely anything for her~!!! I wish more guys in romance anime, specially shoujo would be as lovely as him, instead most of them are arrogant jerks! -__-

Souma Yukihira from Shokugeki no Souma: I was actually surprised i liked him, he's super likable and not overly annoying like other shounen protagonists, is not a pervert either despite it being an ecchi anime, also like most shounen Mc's he's very determined and doesn't let anything get him down, Erina's mean comments just fall on deef ears, haha! >:)

Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist: Even if i still like his brother Alphonse better, I also really like Edward! He's very smart, skilled and strong, plus he has a good personality except the anger outbursts lol.
DauphineFeb 22, 2019 7:58 PM
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Feb 22, 2019 8:10 PM

Jul 2016
Yusuke Urameshi. No one else even comes close.
Feb 22, 2019 8:11 PM

Jun 2015
100% Yusuke Urameshi from Yu Yu Hakusho cause he hits all the main character points.

+Likable Protagonist
+Amazing Character development as the story progresses.
+Dialogue spoken is not too cringy.
+Has great chemistry with the supporting characters of the show and with the antagonists.
Feb 22, 2019 8:13 PM

Jan 2011
i guess Light Yagami from Death Note
Feb 22, 2019 8:24 PM

Aug 2016
Best shounen character of all-time : Gintoki Sakata

Feb 22, 2019 8:34 PM

Jan 2019
Best shounen character of all time : Shiro
"Those who hate themselves,

cannot love or trust others."

Feb 22, 2019 8:44 PM

Feb 2016
ASaid99 said:
greymood said:
https://myanimelist.net/character/89/Shinji_Ikari

and it's not even close

Didnt know Eva was Shonen, interesting. Thought it would be Seinen considering the story is more mature.

If we’re going to be really anal about categories then it’s actually an anime original. But then again the target audience were young boys, and the manga, which was used as advertisement for the anime, was published in a shounen magazine, so you see… you're not really off if you call it a shounen. Much like Utena is stated by Ikuhara as being a shoujo even if there's not a source material being published on a shoujo magazine.
llorandoFeb 22, 2019 8:47 PM
Feb 22, 2019 8:50 PM

Apr 2016
I would say Gintoki, and he could be argued to be the best character in anime in general as well (SLIGHT bias). He's not a typical shounen hero either, and his depth as a character is very deep. He's very reasonable and obviously has a funny/joking side to him but he can be very serious and give these amazing and emotional quotes that bring a lot to his character. That's my pick.

Mob is also really good, this second season of mob psycho 100 has really made me love him even more.
Feb 22, 2019 8:51 PM

Jun 2015
Akari Mizunashi is my favourite shounen lead.
:)
Feb 22, 2019 9:03 PM

May 2018
NARUTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Believe It :D
Feb 22, 2019 10:06 PM

Oct 2013
Maneki-Mew said:

My favorites:

Yato from Noragami

He is one of the most interesting main characters. He is absolutely fun to watch too, but also has a very serious side, some very interesting views on life, where he shows that he is much older and way less dorky than he normally acts, and depth to him due his inner conflicts and his relationships with others. All of his relationships feel so dynamic and good and fun to watch too and that's important to me.
He just feels very believable and human, although he isn't, in his own ways to me.
The really great thing about him is that his development takes a lot of hardship and isn't something easy to achieve.

Allen from D.Gray-man

He is a "typical" all-loving protagonist and also could be hot-tempered too, but he feels very, very real to me, because he reacts often pretty natural, and has an interesting take on his personality. He feels so much guilt towards Mana that he wants to become like him (or he thought he has been) and tries to hide parts of his personality to the point that even one of his outfits get a mask, which I thought was pretty awesome.
Sometimes I'm not sure about very moral characters. Normally I really like my kind-hearted, sweet souls (hidden or not xD), but there are some I dislike, because they are too annoying and preachy, but it's the opposite for Allen lol Well because I think he appears as more real and he is also believably resilient.

I don't want to spoiler, so the very short: Emma is such a good and motherly soul, Norman is very analytical but not cold or anything and Ray... I first judged him a little bit as edgy too, but he is actually more.
They are smart and appear as older than they are, but it's believable, because the other children are shown as actual children and so you get that they are just above them mentally.

He is someone I don't know if I should love or hate him, but at least I think he is a not so typical shounen protagonist and I understand his decisions. He becomes sympathic due his grey character, his failures and his (not anywhere near healthy but great) relationship with Mahiru.
Also I thought he is believable and I also have a very soft spot for "not THAT 'likeable', but still likeable" characters... and he has a lot going on in his mind too haha.

Others:

Eren from Attack on Titan - I know many people don't like him, but I think I learn to like him very much because of the same reasons others might dislike him. Really like his many character flaws and I dunno, so far I often could feel for him.

Yuu from Owari no Seraph - I like the take on his character in some ways. He has a lot of issues, feels not that... sane *cough* anymore and also has the same self-hatred as Mika, but shows it differently. He thinks he is shit, if he isn't useful and can be used by others. And overall he is not unlikeable.

Oz from Pandora Heart - He also feels believable and has depth to him, because of his family and self struggles. He is very likeable, has a lot of his own personality traits and is to sympathize with easily.

Vanitas from Vanitas no Carte - I think you could him as prota and he is a very good one. At first I didn't know what to think about him, but I came to really like him.

Lag from Tegamibachi - Another cute protagonist. It's easy to feel for him and suffer with him, because he is a very likeable kid, but he also feels very resilient for his age.

Ed from Fullmetal Alchemist - He is overall a very good character, personality-wise and never overpowered, but I think he got more impact in the 2003 version. Also he is likeable and not that unrealistic.

Shinji from Neon Genesis Evangelion - I actually suffered with him and understand him / get his issues and I love the series for showing these and how such a traumatic situation like fighting in an epic war would impact a real human being.

Chise from the Ancient Magus Bride - Does she count? I really like her development and character insights and progress.

Deku from Boku no Hero Academia - He is a good main character as well, but I can't bring myself to like him that much than the others, but I still do ofc.

Arslan from Arslan Senki - I really like that there is a more feminine male shounen protagonist and his overall character and strength he found.

Mahmut from Shoukoku no Altair - I thought he is pretts good and likeable main character I really could cheer and feel for.

Wait until season 4 of attack on titan, and you are going to see Eren popularity sky rocket, I dear say possible even rivalling Levi. ;)
Feb 23, 2019 3:27 AM
Jul 2018
keragamming said:
Maneki-Mew said:

My favorites:

Yato from Noragami

Allen from D.Gray-man

Others:

Oz from Pandora Heart - He also feels believable and has depth to him, because of his family and self struggles. He is very likeable, has a lot of his own personality traits and is to sympathize with easily.

Vanitas from Vanitas no Carte - I think you could him as prota and he is a very good one. At first I didn't know what to think about him, but I came to really like him.

Mahmut from Shoukoku no Altair - I thought he is pretts good and likeable main character I really could cheer and feel for.

Wait until season 4 of attack on titan, and you are going to see Eren popularity sky rocket, I dear say possible even rivalling Levi. ;)

I didn't spoil myself and I'm proud of that, BUT I saw the man bun and that's. 👌🏼
Tbh I liked the angry, poor boy from the begin much too, but I really look forward to.
Feb 23, 2019 3:29 AM

Jun 2016
1. Joe (Ashita no Joe)
2. Gorou (Major)
3. Gintoki (Gintama)
Feb 23, 2019 3:30 AM

Jan 2015
Zip_Zip said:

you had to pick the absolute worst garbage one didnt you?
Feb 23, 2019 3:50 AM

Feb 2019
If its just battle shonen then definetly between Naruto and hanamichi. For manga, maybe Joe. I havent finished it thou.

edit: Yusuke is also in my top characters.
Clementine_isbaeFeb 23, 2019 3:54 AM
Feb 23, 2019 3:55 AM

Oct 2017
Geshtinanna said:
NARUTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Believe It :D

YESSSSS he is my favourite aswell. He went from being a knucklehead ninja to the Hokage.
Feb 23, 2019 3:57 AM

Jun 2016
its between gintoki or luffy cant decide
Feb 23, 2019 5:29 AM

Feb 2015
-Natsu's my favourite. He's always fun to watch, and doesn't mess around when it comes to fighting.

-Naruto is second for me, but only if counting his younger version. He really starts out as the underdog and seeing him climb up from that position is nice. If I had one critique is that he needs to take a good beating before he gets serious in a fight. Don't care for shippuuden.

-Goku, mainly the DBZ dub version. I grew up with the dub version that made him more into a superhero. I don't like his goofy side all that much, nor do I care about the "I just wanna fight strong guys" attitude that's being pushed in the original. For me, Goku is at his best when he's fighting to save everyone.
Feb 23, 2019 5:31 AM

Aug 2017
Gon is probably best example from a battle shounen
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Will we get more anime's that reflect "Stoner Comedy"?

GoatPieceLuffy - 6 hours ago

25 by Lucifrost »»
5 minutes ago

» So, what's the oldest anime you've ever watched?

Gashadokur0 - Today

40 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
18 minutes ago

» Ever thought an anime was a MASTERPIECE, then changed your mind? Or vice versa?

Rhae - 21 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
18 minutes ago

» Who is the most overrated villain in anime?

The-Wombat - 49 minutes ago

3 by shyam_patel »»
21 minutes ago

» Do you have a prejudice against people who watch ecchi/hentai? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - May 9

73 by LoveYourSmile »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.