Forum Settings
Forums

If a popular anime reviewer says that something is crap will you take his word for it?

New
Jan 30, 2019 1:44 AM
Jul 2018
Not limited to any platform, so not only Youtube, it could be here on MAL too.
Say for the sake of an example, Digibro and his SAO sucks series. The guy says SAO was THE WORST ANIME EVER MADE or some b8 shit like that. So will you take the b8, and not experience the show for yourself in order to formulate your own opinion? And that is only an example, replace SAO or Digibro with whatever or whoever you want really, that's not the point here.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 30, 2019 1:46 AM

Nov 2011
I will block their existence from my life. If they say SAO is the worst anime, they are just doing it for click. There are plenty of terrible anime that people don't even want to talk about.
Kaiser-chanJan 30, 2019 1:50 AM

Jan 30, 2019 1:47 AM

Jul 2015
Yes, if you are stupid. Unless he/she is right, which again, makes you stupid. Just because someone says something is crap, doesn't mean you have to follow it. Just watch/read it and see for youself
Jan 30, 2019 1:51 AM

Apr 2017
I don't usually take reviews into consideration, so no. And if I do, it's usually just a partly contributing to whether I pick up a show or not, so if review said it's bad, but synopsis, tags, picture or staff/studio are interesting, I still pick it up. Reviews for me are more of a last line. That is if everything else is bad, I read some reviews to give it one last chance to redeem itself, if I don't want to waste my time watching a few episodes to see, because nothing about it seems interesting. Then if reviews also said it's not so good, I won't pick it up. If they said it's good, I will give it a try. But otherwise unless everything else is failing, there is a good chance that I won't even read them.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Jan 30, 2019 1:57 AM

Oct 2018
The last thing I want is to take a MAL reviewer word for it...
Jan 30, 2019 2:11 AM
Nov 2018
If i say something isn't good enough it isn't good enough for me, you have the decision to watch it or not based on your perception of it.
Jan 30, 2019 2:17 AM

May 2017
Obviously not, the only opinion that should matter to you is your own. While it's generally a good idea to try shows that most people consider 'good', I think it's dumb to avoid a show that looks interesting to you just because some random idiot on the internet called it 'bad'. Honestly, it's something only extremely busy people who have no time to watch everything or newbs who haven't watched enough anime to form their own opinions should do. For anyone else, I'd call it pretty inexcusable...and people who use an anituber's opinion to 'prove' a show is bad are almost always morons.

If someone's been watching anime long enough, they should just watch 3 episodes of whatever looks interesting and decide if it's worth watching or not.
Jan 30, 2019 2:24 AM
May 2016
no, i'm going to form my own opinion on it, without regard for other influences
Jan 30, 2019 2:25 AM
Nov 2018
Anime is entertainment. It's subjective. That being said reviews do affect how I see a show starting in or upon finishing which can't be helped after reading one. If it's something like Bunny Girl (which I haven't watched) where the top reviews say its crap but during it airing everyone was praising it and it has a high score, I'm more inclined to trust the majority there. Besides if something is popular its popular for a reason even if its bad and if there's a show that was worth it for thousands of people to spend a few hours of their life watching it, then I'm willing to give it a shot regardless what a reviewer says.

tldr: Even if it might affect my expectations of a show, if a show is popular it's popular for a reason and I'll still watch it anyway unless I personally find it bad (entertainment is subjective)
Jan 30, 2019 2:32 AM

Sep 2014
Who cares really about what others think? If you enjoyed something then good for you.
Jan 30, 2019 2:34 AM
Jul 2018
Why should I take his opinion as a whole?

It's impossible that we all have the same tastes, otherwise we all would be clones.
Jan 30, 2019 2:40 AM

Dec 2017
No, because I am an individual and can think for myself. If the reviewer is someone whose thoughts often coincide with my own, I will probably put the show at a lower priority. But I am not going to automatically assume its level of quality just cuz he/she said so.
Jan 30, 2019 2:49 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
if you are basing your choices on what someone else said, score, etc then you are a sheep and not an individual
Jan 30, 2019 3:35 AM

May 2018
Talking about Digibro he said that B:The Beginning sucks and I disagree (the show has some problems tho). In my opinion he is mostly a funny guy than a serious reviewer (even when he stays sober and fakes deepness).

But no, sometimes I even disagree with critics that I respect deeply like Archaeon.
Jan 30, 2019 3:50 AM

Oct 2017
reviews are literally just opinions y'all
[url=https://myanimelist.net/profile/mifti]
[/url]
Jan 30, 2019 3:58 AM
May 2015
No why
You won't know until you see it for yourself
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 30, 2019 3:59 AM

Aug 2017
Don't care. It really doesn't matter.
Jan 30, 2019 4:07 AM

Dec 2012
No, a review is just some random mook's opinion. If I was interested in it I'd just watch it myself and form my own opinion.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 30, 2019 4:11 AM
Jul 2018
Most reviewers dont care about anime and watch it for the sake of watching it so they can get their opinion approved by others or trigger them with it. So no, I dont care, I dont even read/watch reviews because if I need to do that in order to get interested in a series, it might not be worth it to start it in the first place.
Jan 30, 2019 4:18 AM

Jul 2009
If it's a good reviewer they will tell you what they liked and disliked in said anime.
I'll take that into account, yes. If the negative points are things that I know for sure would annoy me as well, maybe I'll give that series a skip.
On the other hand if it's something that sounded interesting, even if there's a bad review I may still check it out regardless.
I do think it's okay to experience bad media to appreciate the good ones better.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 30, 2019 4:20 AM

Jan 2017
Well, there are some reviewers whose taste seems to match mine pretty well. If these ones dislike a show, that's a pretty good indication I will as well, and it can make a difference between me being vaguely interested and not picking up a show.
Jan 30, 2019 5:39 AM

Oct 2017
No matter what they say, they're just irrelevant to me. I don't watch shows based on others' opinions.
Jan 30, 2019 5:48 AM

May 2018
I am able to consider which anime is crap by myself.
And if someone has opinion that something is crap, as long as it is adequate and well explained, it's ok

Jan 30, 2019 5:53 AM

Oct 2013
I read reviews sometimes but it never really influence my attitude towards picking/watching a show. It can help clear certain points but in the end, I make my own opinions about it after I watched/seen the anime.
Jan 30, 2019 5:56 AM

Sep 2016
I sometimes like watching reviews just to see what others thought about a show, but it doesn't really influence how I feel about something I'm watching/finished
It might influence if I start watching something though, but I don't take 1 person's word for it, I find multiple viewpoints to find a consensus.
That's not as much effort as it sounds by the way

300th pun
xchyssa said:
You got some nice viewpoint there, I always know I can't fool you with my sharpest tagging skills

Jan 30, 2019 6:03 AM

Aug 2016
Nope unless they are talking about an anime that's just generally considered awful by like everyone like Pupa, but for normal anime I still would only take it as what it is, an opinion. I'd have to watch whatever it was they reviewed to form my own opinion of said anime, not just give up on it because someone popular said it was trash.
Jan 30, 2019 6:05 AM

Aug 2010
nah
every reviewer ive seen has weird tastes i find. As in they like too much different shit if that makes any sense. Like for all digibro says about SAO, he loves the most crappy of moe shows as well as the most snorefest of artsy fartsy shows. I cant trust that guys opinion. Its all over the place.

Anime reviewers watch too much shit. I can only trust someone when i know where they are coming from
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jan 30, 2019 6:06 AM

Jan 2017
I try my best not to live in an information bubble.

I have multiple youtube reviewers that I follow. One might find something interesting in a show, one might not. I also use some blogger websites also.

In the end MAL score is also an important factor also.

In the end I choose for myself what to watch, the reviews that I watch most of the time are as an extra to the show in order to understand better or to see how other people view the show and the characters.

I have colleagues at work in their 40s (I'm 35) who decide what to watch based on reviews alone and watch only certain reviewers (not anime stuff, but Hollywood). I find it to be very narrow minded and I'm not sure if its the age that changes you or the personality that you have dictates during your life.
Jan 30, 2019 6:16 AM

Mar 2012
I wouldn't even know if the reviewer is popular in the first place since I don't waste time reading or watching someone else's interpretation of some series. I form my own opinions about the series as I watch it. And when it comes to anime youtubers why even waste your time helping them make a little extra just by giving their opinion about some anime, you could easily use that time to give the anime a try and form your own opinion instead.
Jan 30, 2019 6:17 AM

Nov 2017
I read reviews after finishing a series and keep my opinion to myself most of the time. I say it's stupid to avoid a series just cause the popular review is negative. Give it a go and judge for yourself I say.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

So many anime, So little time!

Jan 30, 2019 6:22 AM
Sep 2017
Reviews are fun to watch/read after watching the show but I wouldn't waste my time checking out a review if the tags and synopses already sound like a show I'd enjoy.
Jan 30, 2019 6:27 AM
Aug 2018
MahoMaho88 said:
Not limited to any platform, so not only Youtube, it could be here on MAL too.
Say for the sake of an example, Digibro and his SAO sucks series. The guy says SAO was THE WORST ANIME EVER MADE or some b8 shit like that. So will you take the b8, and not experience the show for yourself in order to formulate your own opinion? And that is only an example, replace SAO or Digibro with whatever or whoever you want really, that's not the point here.

You shouldn't completely rely on comments . I always check the series out even if having heard having bad reviews . There will be criticism to most of the animes and some mega criticism issues are that of the most popular animes. But I really don't think reviews matter as long as your mind's clear and you check it out.
Jan 30, 2019 6:31 AM

Jan 2019
If the general consensus (i.e. multiple sources and also random folks opinions) indicates that a show is garbage then I will likely skip it to watch something that has garnered a better opinion.

Time is limited, afterall.

Of course if I've been really intrigued by something then I'll watch it no matter what anyone says.
Jan 30, 2019 6:40 AM

Aug 2016
Usually when a reviewer says an anime is shit, they come with some arguments why they don't like it. They say what (objectively) happens in the show and why they (subjectively) don't like.
If somebody says "I don't like this anime because the main character repeatedly harasses kids and he's a pedophile" (Ulysses Jean d'Arc or something), then there are only options: The anime is actually bad or he's lying. If he's not lying, then I don't have to watch the anime to know it's bad, because there's no way that an anime like that can be good.
Another example: If an anime reviewer says he doesn't like this anime because he feels that the main character is an hypocrite and doesn't make logical decisions, that's very subjective, and I would have to watch the show myself to have an opinion on that.
So yeah, it depends. I wouldn't watch an anime which is neither popular(like SAO), nor well-received by critics(like LOGH), because there's a high possibility to be a waste of time.
Jan 30, 2019 6:40 AM

Mar 2018
Watching the first episode does the job
poop
Jan 30, 2019 6:42 AM

Nov 2018
nope, i trust my own judgement and official PV more than the reviewer..

if i’m interested with something but people talks crap about it then i’ll decide after i see it mysef
Jan 30, 2019 6:46 AM
Jul 2018
Time to hate Shinsekai Yori now, I guess.
I mean, I respect their opinion and sometimes it's interesting to hear them, but I don't like people's attitude to think there can't exist another "right" one. You are not the center of the world, so...
Jan 30, 2019 6:49 AM

Jul 2015
I like to form my own opinion about anime. So I may not watch an anime that my favorite reviewer/youtuber says they hate(since I have other shows to watch) if the reviewer is one who typically has the same opinions as me, but I won't draw any conclusions about the show until i've watched it.
Jan 30, 2019 8:22 AM

Jan 2013
No because they don't know what they're talking about.

EcchiGodMamsterP said:
if you are basing your choices on what someone else said, score, etc then you are a sheep and not an individual
This, think for yourselves folks.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jan 30, 2019 8:25 AM

Jan 2014
I don't even watch Anime Youtubers and I'm not gonna start taking their opinions for any shows any day now.
Jan 30, 2019 8:41 AM

Sep 2016

I'm pretty sure Digibro meant that SAO is the most overwatched anime, there are a lot of worse anime but they never got as much attention.
Anyway, to answer the topic question: I hardly let myself getting influenced by reviews in general, I disliked SAO before listening to Digibro's rant on youtube and I still like NGE after reading Archaeon's essay about how much he dislikes mentally unstable teenagers.
In most cases I'll keep my score as it is and only a few times I did adjust it by max. +/-1 after reading reasonable reviews.

ZarutakuJan 30, 2019 8:51 AM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jan 30, 2019 8:42 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
I'm more inclined to give a show a chance when a popular reviewer says it's awful.

These guys tend to be 10+ years older than myself and therefore have a more refined, relatable and mature taste.
Naturally the ones they deem "childish" will be ones I'll get a kick out of.
Jan 30, 2019 9:01 AM

Jan 2018
Nope, I'll always decide what I want to watch based off my own volition. I definitely respect the opinions of others though, especially since I come from a background of involvement with film and the arts in general, and have been exposed to numerous critics of different mediums in my personal life. However, I'm ultimately going to judge a work for myself, and while I typically pick what I choose to watch based off an intriguing plot, or even an aggregate consensus, these also play no role as to whether I actually enjoy something or not. If I like it, awesome. If I'm bored, I'll drop it. Simple as that.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jan 30, 2019 9:03 AM

Jul 2017
Absolutely not, because their opinions matter zero, even if they are famous reviewers or whatever. My own opinion is what matters the most and that's it really.
Jan 30, 2019 9:06 AM
Jul 2018
For the most part, no. However, there are some anime that I wish I'd read the review for and decided not to watch, like Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni. (aka my least favourite anime of all time).
Jan 30, 2019 9:42 AM

Dec 2018
No. I'll take it into consideration but it will not affect my own judgement of a show. No one's opinion should matter to you more than your own. Feel free to like/dislike what you will.
Jan 30, 2019 9:48 AM

May 2015
I don't take the word of every reviewer, I mostly take the words of reviewers with whom I have 50% + affinity or I consider a trusted opinion. No, SAO is not the worst thing ever as it certainly isn't the best thing anime but if I were undecided between watching it or not and a reviewer I trust says it is the worst thing ever then I am not going to watch it. However I I understand that it's just an exaggeration not to be taken literally.

Formulating your own opinion doesn't mean that it has to be unique.
Jan 30, 2019 9:52 AM

Oct 2008
Subjective. 多くの変数が関係しています。Also、集団的意見は偏見を受けやすい。People are complex. 人気は等しくありません。
Jan 30, 2019 9:53 AM

Nov 2007
Never followed reviewers and never will. The maximum chance I give to the people/ friends having good affinity with my taste in anime.

But that was a weird pick. Looks like this guy Digibro is cool for calling SAO the worst sh!t ever when there are hundreds of anime I could go beyond episodes 2 or 3.

SAO is a solid 3.67/10 for me. The garbage story and equally garbage characters can take nothing away from the beautiful BG scenary, the original premise (that lasted 22 mins) and Tomatsu Haruka's ED Yume Sekai performance.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 30, 2019 9:56 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Cabron said:
No because they don't know what they're talking about.

EcchiGodMamsterP said:
This, think for yourselves folks.

Not gonna lie though... score can be useful for me

If theres hot girls on the cover and its rated 5-7 I'm probably gonna love it lmao

Also as someone who favorites anime reviewers are going to call trash, I guess if I didnt just need the cover art and pv a negative review could in theory help me xD
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

43 by vasipi4946 »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 5 hours ago

18 by mizukasa »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

69 by Aletheia_xxx »»
4 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

24 by Krlenir »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

14 by MogKnight »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.