Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Quintessential Quintuplets
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jan 11, 2019 12:04 PM
Dec 2017
I've read the manga since the beginning and I'm satisfied on how the first episode is animated.

This is also the only romance+harem manga/anime that I want every girl to win because they're all just great in their own way.

Jan 11, 2019 12:13 PM

Apr 2018
I loved this for some reason and i am going to read the manga now bye
Jan 11, 2019 12:48 PM

Feb 2015
Waifu, waifus everywhere. Honestly im on the fence so far who's best girl I need a few more episodes to decide. Does he chose a girl or is this going the true harem route? In on board for both btw
Jan 11, 2019 12:56 PM

Jan 2016
Something tells me that we finally have a good harem this season! This looks great!
Jan 11, 2019 1:00 PM

Feb 2018
Crashmatt said:
Waifu, waifus everywhere. Honestly im on the fence so far who's best girl I need a few more episodes to decide. Does he chose a girl or is this going the true harem route? In on board for both btw

They already displayed it on beginning and ending of episode that he just will mary one girl. Who she is, we don't know yet because they're quintuplets
Jan 11, 2019 1:18 PM
Aug 2014
The big boobs oneesan is the one they put Hanazawa on...!?
Jan 11, 2019 1:38 PM
Oct 2013
I was gonna check it out, but after finding out Matsuoka is voicing the guy, I can't.
His voice over and over again in every anime ruins it for me
Jan 11, 2019 2:36 PM

Aug 2008
Sigh, again read the whole avaible manga afer the first episode. I really need to stop doing that. Manga is rather uneven but enjoyable, anime doesn't look very promising (probably will end up as the usual mediocre manga advertisement) and Hanazawa got a really weird casting. Maybe it will be interesting to her outside the usual roles.

Well, at least after a few chapters I already knew who the best girl is.

Oh ye, also funny how anime turned Yotsuba into Shimakaze.
AntanaruJan 11, 2019 2:41 PM
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jan 11, 2019 2:42 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm the mc sure is good at money management. The OP and the visuals that go with it was pretty cute. Itsuki and Yotsuba's personalities sure are total opposites of each other. So instead of simply acting as the tutor for Itsuki Fuutarou is now the tutor for all of the sisters then lol. Man seems that the sisters impressions of Fuutarou was not a good one at all. These girls though sure are rather determined to not study though. But drugged cookies huh thats pretty creative of Nino. Its nice that Itsuki was able to understand Fuutarou's circumstances and while not quite agreeing with him yet is at least willing to allow him to try. A solid first ep that did well in introducing the mc and the five sisters and their unique personalities. Looking forward to see how Fuutarou will deal with them.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 11, 2019 4:12 PM

Feb 2013
- good animation
- decent comedy
- I really need to detox from Yoshitsugu Matsuoka but here we gooooo
Jan 11, 2019 5:19 PM

Jul 2014
I read the first chapter of this a while back and dropped it. Giving the anime a shot hasn't change my impression at all.

Its another shameless pandering harem series that feeds on people's obsession with cUtE aNimu giRLs and gets them attached to a particular waifu in hopes of them buying into the whole "shipping wars" shit.

It seems that people like it over other harems because it supposedly becomes a good character drama as it goes on. Thats nice and all, but at the end of the day, its still self-indulgent wish fulfillment with a teen guy surrounded by a bunch of hot girls who will slowly grow fond and develop feelings for him as the series goes on. Oh, and throw in lots of ecchi and accidental pervert situations to get the audience going. Also gotta make sure the camera angles linger juuuuust long enough on their ass and tiddies. Don't forget the ever so slight boob jiggle physics too.

Yeah... whatever.
Jan 11, 2019 5:55 PM

Jun 2017
Oh,look... Matsuoka is the voice behind the male MC...again... for the 1480412948014284018443rd time (not a bad thing tho)

Looking forward to the next episode - this could turn out to be one of the better Harem-Anime
Jan 11, 2019 6:48 PM

Jun 2013
that was really good. Now let the war for best girl begin
Jan 11, 2019 7:32 PM

Nov 2013
Pretty decent first episode, really liked the seiyuu choices aside Matsouka, OP song and visuals.

As expected Futarou carried the 1st episode and man seeing best girls Miku and Nino animated was pretty great too. Really looking forward to more.
KaitonJan 11, 2019 7:57 PM

Jan 11, 2019 7:35 PM
Oct 2018
Akerakai said:
I loved this for some reason and i am going to read the manga now bye

Wise choice. You can still watch anime after reading manga. Infact it will make you even more excited.
Jan 11, 2019 7:52 PM

Jun 2015
this is a good introductory episode, have a feeling i'll enjoy this anime
Jan 11, 2019 9:43 PM

Dec 2015
Fuutarou Uesugi character design really remind me to Yu Narukami from Persona 4....
Jan 11, 2019 10:20 PM

Oct 2008
Another romcom harem where Matsuoka/Kirito is involved again! just like saenai!
oh man look at that VA line-up! top class!
well i guess in the end they'll gonna have orgy sixsome!! WEW!
4/5.

Jan 11, 2019 10:23 PM
Jul 2016
UglyBarnacle said:
I read the first chapter of this a while back and dropped it. Giving the anime a shot hasn't change my impression at all.

Its another shameless pandering harem series that feeds on people's obsession with cUtE aNimu giRLs and gets them attached to a particular waifu in hopes of them buying into the whole "shipping wars" shit.

It seems that people like it over other harems because it supposedly becomes a good character drama as it goes on. Thats nice and all, but at the end of the day, its still self-indulgent wish fulfillment with a teen guy surrounded by a bunch of hot girls who will slowly grow fond and develop feelings for him as the series goes on. Oh, and throw in lots of ecchi and accidental pervert situations to get the audience going. Also gotta make sure the camera angles linger juuuuust long enough on their ass and tiddies. Don't forget the ever so slight boob jiggle physics too.

Yeah... whatever.
Wow, I mean I know you said that you only read the first chapter, but still wow. This is the pinnacle of a person making a lot of assumptions on the subject matter.

First off, "feeds on people's obsession with cUtE aNimu giRLs and gets them attached to a particular waifu in hopes of them buying into the whole "shipping wars" shit."

This is wrong why exactly? If anything, this should be the ultimate goal for all harem series. It is a legitimate method to get people invested in the characters and the series itself. You may only be focusing on all the shallow ways certain series attempt this, but some series can create well-written characters and the same result will still happen. Like most things, going overboard with the shipping wars is terrible, but they themselves are not a problem. For Gotoubun no Hanayome, the shipping wars are mainly contained within the fandom and it nothing more than a giant meme for the fans. Things like the Miku Church and the Nino Gang are just ways they have fun with each other.

Secondly, "its still self-indulgent wish fulfillment with a teen guy surrounded by a bunch of hot girls who will slowly grow fond and develop feelings for him as the series goes on."

Once again, what is wrong here? You're trying to give criticism by simply describing the situation at hand. What you described in the second half of your sentence is the premise for all harem series. Is there something inherently wrong with self-indulgent and wish fulfillment stories? No. But are there wrong ways to execute self-indulgent and wish fulfillment stories? Yes. You're trying to dismiss the praises that people have for the series, but you're not doing great at it.

Lastly. "Oh, and throw in lots of ecchi and accidental pervert situations to get the audience going. Also gotta make sure the camera angles linger juuuuust long enough on their ass and tiddies. Don't forget the ever so slight boob jiggle physics too."

Just going through episode 1, I counted a grand total of (drum rolls) 2 blatant fanservice scenes, 1 badly phrased sentence that went nowhere, barely any boob jiggle (despite me staring at them the entire time cause subs), and 1(?) accidental pervert situation. That last one is debatable cause usually those kinds of situations involve the MC slipping on air and landing in-between a girl's legs. Here, it is an accident, but it's a hell of lot more plausible. The camera pans are stretch and their butts weren't even emphasized. Their breasts were and it's not series's fault, it's just the anime emphasizing them more. Let's not forget, just because a series doesn't have an ecchi tag doesn't mean it can't have a bit of fanservice from time to time and this series doesn't have a lot.

It's pretty obvious that you hate the harem genre and this is just a guess, but I think that hatred prevented you from ever giving this series the slightest bit of a chance and won't let you at least acknowledged why people consider this series to be good. I may be wrong, but only you know.
Andy_REVJan 11, 2019 10:34 PM
Jan 11, 2019 10:45 PM

May 2013
Better than i could ever imagine, the voices are spot on.

highly recommend the manga, it has great art and is still ongoing.
Jan 11, 2019 11:43 PM
Jan 2019
The MC really looks like Persona 4 MC, but sounded by Kirito's VA lol
Jan 12, 2019 12:45 AM

Oct 2017
I feel like I'm the only Yotsuba fan
Jan 12, 2019 5:26 AM
Oct 2014
A decent start. Only problem with harem anime/manga is in almost everyone I have watched the protagonist ends up with the main girl.

Ichigo 100% may be the exception, although she probably had probably replaced the initial main girl as the main one for a fair while before they ended up together.
Jan 12, 2019 8:30 AM
Jul 2018
UglyBarnacle said:

Yeah... whatever.

That's... kinda bad to assume the intent of the series but also the people that are watching it. Coming from the person that has read a few more chapters of the manga, while yeah there can be a moment where people will be attached to a particular waifu, honestly this is the type of harem that more so just lets everyone grow on their own pace, and from what I've read I like everyone of the girls in there.

Also, based on your own word by interpretation, even if it has positives, it's still a self-indulging series? That... doesn't make sense.

Wouldn't that be less of a self-indulging series and more of a series that's meaningful to some extent or a show that can stand away from the crowd without the reliance? Most people interpret the positives as not a self-indulging anime.

Though I believe self-fufilling anime aren't inherently a bad thing unless it pushes it down people's throats up the ass to no end. Which... isn't really what Gotoubun did over here.
Jan 12, 2019 8:53 AM

Feb 2017
the plot seem promising and make sense, the cast are so dope.
looking forward to see more.

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Jan 12, 2019 9:23 AM
Aug 2016
It was a good first episode.

It seems like this is going to be the harem of the season. I haven't read the manga, but I've heard lots of good things about it. The characters seem very likable, so far. I'm interested in seeing how this plays out.
VinnyLamJan 12, 2019 9:31 AM
Jan 12, 2019 9:27 AM

Jul 2015
A harem with five cute, stacked girls, is this heaven?

Fun first episode, the premise reminds me a lot to BokuBen lol, I like the protagonist and the girls seem that will be a lot of fun, let the best girl fights start.
Jan 12, 2019 9:32 AM
Aug 2016
JJH_ said:
The big boobs oneesan is the one they put Hanazawa on...!?

All the girls are big-boobed.
Jan 12, 2019 9:37 AM

Mar 2014
It's not bad as a romantic drama but as for a comedy, they need to work a little bit more cause I seriously find nothing funny in their jokes !!!
Jan 12, 2019 10:57 AM

May 2016
I’m loving this series so far. Pretty good first episode. I can only imagine the situations this guy will find himself in lol
Jan 12, 2019 11:18 AM

Jul 2015
Doesn't the marriage scene hints Itsuki is the end game?I know that in the manga they all have same hair colour but the anime seems to hint Itsuki.

Any manga reader can clarify me?

Jan 12, 2019 11:47 AM

Oct 2015
This was actually quite a nice setup honestly. MC doesn't look dense and I don't see a tsundere anywhere (they lengthen every single thing, like a lot). Probably going to be one of the better harem series
Jan 12, 2019 12:05 PM

Nov 2018
i actually enjoyed watching this :p
Jan 12, 2019 1:09 PM
Jun 2014
a(x-a)(x-B) = a(x^2-Bx-ax+aB) = ax^2+a(-B-a)x+a^2B = ax^2+bx+c

c = a^2b

b = a(-B-a)
Jan 12, 2019 1:40 PM

Nov 2013
i had to replay this part of the opening, her run is just so fun

fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Jan 12, 2019 1:41 PM

Sep 2018
Did they actually spoiled the ending in the first scene?
In a action anime or so i would understand that but in a Harem,romance,comedy i think its just ruining the show but maybe i am just misundertanding the first scene at least i hope so because that could possibly be one of the better Harem shows with not a complete Character less Protagonist and holy shit just look at the cast all tho girls got the top of the top voice actors....
Jan 12, 2019 3:49 PM

May 2009
Mullerio said:
Did they actually spoiled the ending in the first scene?

They didn't spoil anything, bride's identity isn't confirmed, only speculated. Flashforwards happened at least 3 times.
Jan 12, 2019 3:51 PM

Mar 2014
the animation is not that good. i mean the faces of 5 sisters keep changing.
Jan 12, 2019 4:33 PM
Aug 2018
Cringed so hard had to drop it mid way through.
People with low average anime scores don't have high standards. They are just bad at choosing good anime to watch.
Jan 13, 2019 5:27 AM

Oct 2013
I barely liked harems but this is really nice. I'm gonna continue watching this series!
Jan 13, 2019 7:02 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Good first episode!

Quintuplets with varying personalities and a main character whose family is under debt but doesn’t seem too dense, somewhat interesting so far. Uesugi’s little sister is sweet as an angel and seems like she’s done the trick for her elder brother, lol that was nice to see. Revelation scene of the sisters was hilarious but not too many other notable scenes from the episode. Final moments of the episode suggests that he’ll end up marrying one of the redheads so probably either between Itsuki and Nino, I supoose.

To be fairly honest, the voice acting of the show, thanks to the wonderful cast behind the show, is what caught my attention in the first place(as I’m not really a fan of Harem shows) and I’m honestly glad to see that this was undoubtedly top tier. Animation was very pleasing too with the colorful presentation and the Character designs were pretty fine. Op and ED are nothing memorable but nice to listen to, I suppose. It’s been a fairly enjoyable first episode too, so I’ll probably keep an eye at this for another 2-3 episodes before deciding to keep up with or dropping it.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 13, 2019 10:37 AM

May 2018

One guy and a harem, sounds usual isn't it, but reinvent it as one guy a harem of sisters, whoa, they have just taken a new turn........this is sibling rivalry on a new level.
Jan 13, 2019 10:50 AM
Jan 2016
Awesome first episode, it was interesting and funny to watch!

All girls are likable, beautifulls as well, looking forward see more about them! But at first view, Itsuka and Miku are the ones i liked more!

Raiha is adorable as hell!

Curious to see how he will teach them!
Jan 13, 2019 10:54 AM
Feb 2016
I honestly enjoyed this episode. So much that I actually went ahead to read the manga because my sorry ass can't wait for next weeks episode
Jan 13, 2019 12:01 PM

Mar 2016
I really loved this episode... This looks so much fun!! Cant wait for the next one

Jan 13, 2019 2:51 PM

Mar 2014
Did they just spoil who ends up with the MC lol?
Jan 13, 2019 3:05 PM
Jan 2017
What’s with all the weird random shots of the little sister’s non-existent chest?

Other than that, pretty solid first episode.
Jan 13, 2019 6:32 PM

Feb 2008
Ep. was good, but, ugh Matsuoka, ugh his voice doesn't fit Uesugi at all, and I hoped that Miku seiyuu voice would be a bit lower, but that just my little complaints.
Jan 13, 2019 6:54 PM

Oct 2012
Matsuoka is making his own harem again I see.. oh wait is that Ayane Sakura
Uh-oh bad idea, Matsuoka xD
Also Kayano Ai is sighing in the distance
"Signature removed"
Jan 13, 2019 7:18 PM
Sep 2018
Itsuki is like fusion of meer campbell (gundam seed destiny) and that hiyama akane from Renai boukun.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gotoubun no Hanayome Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2019

301 by Sporecraft »»
Apr 13, 1:44 AM

Poll: » Gotoubun no Hanayome Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2019

112 by Sporecraft »»
Apr 9, 6:45 AM

» My review of the 5-toubun no Hanayome

aTi - Apr 4

17 by ElmoBoredAsf »»
Apr 5, 3:08 PM

Poll: » Gotoubun no Hanayome Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2019

193 by Tiger_Tank-II »»
Mar 3, 1:40 AM

Poll: » Gotoubun no Hanayome Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2019

128 by NoUsernamesIKnow »»
Feb 13, 8:10 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.