Forum Settings
Forums
Forest of Piano
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 12, 2008 1:25 PM

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I love the PnM manga so I was really excited to see the sub for the movie.

I thought it was good adaptation, although I do have some complaints. Mostly what was adapted and changed from the manga, but it was still fun to watch. I gave this movie an 8
Feb 12, 2008 6:51 PM

Jan 2008
It was a very enjoyable movie. I walked into it blindly, without any prior knowledge of its existence and was pleasantly surprised by it. My only problem with it being that Kai looked way to feminine and his voice did not help it at all. He reminded me of the actresses that would play Peter Pan in the stage play.
Feb 12, 2008 10:38 PM

Jan 2008
I didn't read the manga and wasn't expecting anything special from this anime. But after watching it appears that Piano no Mori is , in my opinion, one of the best anime of 2007. Beautiful animation, as expected from Madhouse, and heartwarming character of the movie make it stand out in the crowd.

9/10 in my book

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Feb 14, 2008 3:04 PM

May 2007
This movie was amazing, I saw it in theaters while I was in Japan over the summer. I'm planning to rewatch it soon, since I only understood about half of it.
Feb 21, 2008 3:57 PM

Nov 2007
That was so cute. :3

More people need to watch this.
Feb 23, 2008 10:53 AM

Jul 2007
I LOVED IT!!!

one of my fav movies

Ueto Aya did a great job with Kai's vioce
Feb 24, 2008 8:06 AM

Nov 2007
So what`s the deal? Is there gonna be a continuation?
Feb 24, 2008 8:12 AM

Sep 2007
kasumisama said:
That was so cute. :3

More people need to watch this.

Seriously. Only 100 something people finished this? D: I thought it was cute too. Reminded me of my love for Chopin <3
Feb 25, 2008 11:10 PM

Oct 2007
eee such a cute movie. i'll defenitely be rewatching it in the future. <3 i love anything related to piano and this was just really good.
Feb 25, 2008 11:16 PM

Nov 2007
I'll definitely pick up the manga ... one of these days. D:
Feb 26, 2008 8:18 AM

Nov 2007
Is there no chance for a TV series?
Mar 18, 2008 1:20 AM
Dec 2007
Great animation, story, characters and everything. I love this movie ;)

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jun 3, 2008 1:48 AM

Mar 2008
Any sense of sentimentality was lost when the girl brings up petting her dog in the bathroom. Maybe I'm too common to appreciate that kind of avant-garde approach to serenity.
Sep 25, 2008 5:06 PM

Jun 2008
It's a very motivating anime (manga also, but the anime is more because it has sound). I actually play an instrument, so seeing this was very inspiring, and I could feels the tension they were going through at some points.

I also found out things I never knew before. How others practice, for example.
Very nice. Enjoied the humour as well.The girl wouldn't stop calling him Wendy. LOL Even after the competition ended. o.0

Apr 22, 2009 10:26 AM

Nov 2007
The part where the girl relaxes by envisioning herself in the bathroom with her dog was too hilarious. My friends and I were cracking up at that point... especially when she was performing. XD
May 4, 2009 8:49 AM

Nov 2008
I want to play the piano now!
Nov 13, 2009 10:05 PM

Jun 2009
definitely a very good movie. it was pretty funny and anyone who likes piano would love this and yet so few people have seen it, which is somewhat surprising.
9/10
Nov 15, 2009 12:19 AM
Sep 2008
Hi, maybie someone knows what song was Kai playing in the forest?
I WANT IT!
Dec 7, 2009 3:08 PM
Jun 2008
I was wondering.. Mozart A minor sonata is about 20 minutes long played at the average speed, so 3 times per hour.
We learn at one point that there are at least 37 participants = 37 times in a row the same sonata (I mean, that's a masterpiece, but still 37...) = more than 12 hours.

I would be surprised to see any survivor in the audience.

PS: and, as a pianist, I feel a bit offended by him learning that piece in a matter of minutes. Just feeling like pointing that out -.-
Dec 7, 2009 3:22 PM
Jun 2008
Oh, I get it now, they're just playing one movement each, and the other kids are playing different pieces too. I guess that "Mozart 310 is the qualification piece" confused me.
MeshDec 7, 2009 3:38 PM
Apr 17, 2010 10:25 PM

Aug 2009
Being fan of this manga, I didn't really like this adaption. A lot of developments from Amamiya was cut, Kai's awesomeness isn't portrayed well as what was done in manga. But, it was overall good adaption, and definitely different.
May 1, 2010 12:39 AM

Apr 2009
Takako kept calling him Wendy even after the competition... LOL
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Sep 26, 2010 5:13 PM

Jan 2010
Good one, I really enjoyed.
8/10

Shuuhei > Kai, IMO.
Kai is a cheater, nobody can learn to play Chopin so fast.
Dec 2, 2010 9:27 PM
Nov 2010
Piano Forest brings out the magic in music. Not only piano, but also other instrumental music. The trick for playing good music does not mainly depend on the quality of the instrument, but the love and passion for music itself.
Music are everywhere not just in instruments but also in mother nature. Try calming yourself down, and listen. Just like what Kai did. But what he really did was he brought the audience into another environment, nature.
Therefore, that is why this anime deserve a 10/10 for bringing out its true meaning of playing music.
Apr 2, 2011 12:29 AM

Feb 2008
I think I would have liked this more if I hadn't read the manga first. I understand why they made most of the changes that they did, but by the time they were done, Kai just didn't seem like Kai anymore and his mother might as well not have been there :(

also, I still don't understand why musical anime can't seem to master the art of bad playing/singing, it really takes you out of it if things don't sound as awful as they're supposed to.

Mesh said:
I was wondering.. Mozart A minor sonata is about 20 minutes long played at the average speed, so 3 times per hour.
We learn at one point that there are at least 37 participants = 37 times in a row the same sonata (I mean, that's a masterpiece, but still 37...) = more than 12 hours.

I would be surprised to see any survivor in the audience.

PS: and, as a pianist, I feel a bit offended by him learning that piece in a matter of minutes. Just feeling like pointing that out -.-
well they changed the song from the manga (originally it was k280) which I think is only 12 minutes (could be wrong) and there were at least 45 contestants (so 10 hours with introductions etc). Honestly I don't know how they were still able to cheer after hearing it 36 times though, regardless of how good he was.

also, the manga makes a point of mentioning that he can memorize any piece of music he's heard once before, though learning it well enough to play in his own style took quite some time in both the movie and the manga.
Jun 8, 2011 3:04 PM

Aug 2010
Great movie! I play the piano sometimes but this really made me want to go back to the keys.

The characters had a really strange bond but powerful at that. That bond will take them places. At the end i thought Kai would die when he turned around that corner...

9/10
Jul 15, 2011 8:25 PM

Aug 2010
9/10 i love this music animes they really are just great, the story was nice and well it gets into the never ending fight between "fun" and "work" when it comes to music..i am a musician myself (not a professional one though) and IMO music should just be enjoyed and have fun with it..and never something just to brag about or take "too seriously" its just painful in the end, i know it cause i've been there and thankfully it was just temporarily :)
kurochaos said:
Good one, I really enjoyed.
8/10

Shuuhei > Kai, IMO.
Kai is a cheater, nobody can learn to play Chopin so fast.

Ikr?!? i mean im a new to piano but even i know that Chopin (he is my fav composer btw) is very hard to play and you need some skill to it, though its for the sake of the animation and there are ppl who are just prodigies..but sometimes it just bothers me a bit :(
xMusicMohawkJul 15, 2011 8:29 PM
Aug 21, 2012 8:09 AM

Aug 2012
that was good, i like the fact that they shoved 50 chapters in there and that was 50 chapters worth, the manga version is a lot more grown up and had naked woman and prostitutes and yakuza[im not gonna insult anyones fan knoledge and explain this], they also made him show his penis at the beginning for initiation and he didnt have trousers on when ajino talked to him in the forest because he was about to be raped, anyway i diverse, i liked it better because all the lewd stuff got taken out and it concentrated on the sweet storyline and music.
"one truth preveils" never was a bigger lie told in all of manga-land...
Feb 23, 2013 8:27 AM

May 2012
I'm a great fan of the manga and i was really hoping for a movie or anime then i heard from my friends that it has a movie but i got hooked on this pretty late ^^

However i think it's a good one it followed the manga and the animation/ art is better than the manga because if you think kai is girly in the movie try the manga he looks more girly there than in the anime ^^
Plus I enjoyed the part wherein bathroom princess was patting Kai XD
So all iI'd give the movie a 10!
Mar 18, 2013 10:30 AM

Jul 2012
I liked it a lot! This is a gem and definitely one of the only anime that portray classical music well, along with Nodame Cantabile. You should totally watch that too if you enjoyed this. NC is basically the adult version of Piano no Mori.

8/10 is my final rating.

Loved the song selections! :) Gonna learn them on piano later hehe
Jul 4, 2013 3:18 PM

Dec 2009
It's an okay movie.

The visuals were good, the soundtrack great as expected, the characters all likeable (though I never really did like Ajino's character). I never really fully cared about the plot or how things would end. I guess as someone learning piano for years I found Kai's magical ability to figure out complete pieces by ear without being able to read sheet music or ever having a lesson pretty ridiculous. It just doesn't work that way. Thankfully he didn't qualify that would have been even more dumbfounding. I did enjoy quite a bit though, like the girl he helped who was at first scared to perform finally could relax.

As Mesh said earlier,

Mesh said:

...as a pianist, I feel a bit offended by him learning that piece in a matter of minutes. Just feeling like pointing that out -.-

I'd have rather Kai thought he was great in the forest but on a real piano he sucked and then he busted his ass and eventually gotten good enough to try to compete with the same outcome.

This movie reminded of Nodame Cantabile most. I like Nodame Cantabile tons better. It's more funny, realistic, and inspiring.

6/10, it was good but I doubt I'll see it again.
Such junk...
May 6, 2014 8:28 AM

Apr 2013
lol'd at the bathroom scene.
Very nice movie.

jacobpaige said:

also, the manga makes a point of mentioning that he can memorize any piece of music he's heard once before

I thought that was quite obvious in the movie.
May 10, 2014 2:48 PM

Apr 2014
what a lovely story :3
Aug 4, 2014 4:31 PM

May 2012
Pretty lovely movie I must say, I really loved the piano pieces in this and the overall character development! All in all a very lovely anime movie 7/10
Jul 12, 2015 5:24 AM

Dec 2012
Wen--I mean, Kai was quite the character. He had me roaring many a time. Kai's exaggerated body language really brings his character to life, it animates his raw emotions.

I have to admit I misled myself into believing this would be more supernatural given the name and cover. Despite misunderstandings, it was still an enjoyable tale of two friends who are brought together by the piano and how they each take their own path as pianists. Amamiya stayed true to the score and had a refined play style where as Wendy! Kai was more liberal and free flowing with his. Even in their brief time together, they made life changing decisions and will each be transformed as they each take on their own stage. Some more food for thought is that I don't think either is necessarily better than the other. They each excel at different styles of playing, although ultimately I think Amamiya felt that he lost because as Ajino said, he didn't love the piano nearly as much.

7/10
Sep 18, 2015 8:20 PM

Jun 2014
"What I do with my hands is my decision"

strange how Shuuhei's mother refers to her son with a "-san"

but that flying bathroom piano made my day. Piano movies need more flying pianos.

-----

Lovely movie though. Solid 8/10
Oct 19, 2015 4:39 PM
Sep 2013
this saved me from an incredibly boring philosophy lecture in school today

loved the pieces they used in this one

8/10
Dec 18, 2015 7:41 PM
Jul 2018
I love the movie. I didn't get bored until the end. Kai is enjoyable to watch but I am really rooting for Shuuhei all this time.
Mar 15, 2016 8:15 AM

Oct 2014
ringoo4 said:
Being fan of this manga, I didn't really like this adaption. A lot of developments from Amamiya was cut, Kai's awesomeness isn't portrayed well as what was done in manga. But, it was overall good adaption, and definitely different.

Exactly, I spent the whole movie thinking about how they cut so many important and awesome moments, like how the first music kai plays was composed by Ajino-sensei and such...
Mar 22, 2016 6:10 AM

Jan 2008
I've read some of the manga and really enjoyed it. But the anime... The character design for Kai and his voice and how he was in the anime in general pissed me off. I found him so irritating to the point I wished he wasn't in the anime.

Other than that I enjoyed the anime aha.
Apr 22, 2016 5:24 PM

Dec 2012
I enjoyed it. I wonder why they didn't make a sequel of this? :I
May 7, 2016 4:27 PM
Jul 2018
Beautifull movie!!! 9/10
Oct 16, 2016 11:05 PM

Jul 2011
Thank goodness I only read chapter 1 of the manga before I watched this adaptation then. From the first 5 minutes I already saw some changes I didn't like, so I'm glad I don't know what the rest were.

Overall it was pretty decent. Kai's VA bothers me, although Kai is as great as he was in chapter 1 lol. Can't wait to read it. <3
Oct 31, 2017 3:13 AM

Jul 2015
For me, PnM is an enjoyable movie. A heartwarming tale of friendship, which competes in the same competition. The music is so calm. Wonder if I was the only one who got double vibes from this movie. Shuuhei represents Kousei from Your Lie in April and Kai represents Nodame from Nodame Cantabille series. The development is not that great tbh but it has its moment for sure.

At first, I convinced myself that Kai was a girl XD His drawing and VA got me. I like his relationship as Wendy to Takako. They could make a great couple I think.

Overall 8/10 in my book. A decent movie~
Can't wait for the series to come on 2018.
Mar 4, 2018 2:24 PM

Oct 2015
I loved this movie but it's too bad Kai never made it through, but I guess it wasn't surprising since he did the "your lie in April " on us. I loved Kai and wish to see the story more and his progression. I loved how he encouraged his friend and Takako, making him a memorable character in my book. If his friend is gonna be the best in Japan, he is gonna be the best in the world.

I will 1000% make sure I watch the series, I bet it's gonna be awesome then I will reward it with a 9 or even 10.

But this one it's a 8/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 11, 2018 1:24 PM

Nov 2011
A film that beyond what can be deduced by reading between the lines, I think the most important underlying message is that concerning the meetings that one does in one's life. Too bad for the graphics quality not really fabulous and the use of CG a little everywhere. The narrative pace is slow and the plot is simple, but I enjoyed this film, the credit goes to the characters, including even the whining Takako, that gave me a good impression and are very funny. Perhaps for some, the narrative is a little naive, but in the end the protagonists are still children. The soundtrack and the ending are catchy.

8/10
Mar 30, 2018 10:53 AM

Nov 2012
I usually don't like watching anime movies cause they always bore me and feel like they drag on and on...not this,this was really engaging and had me interested throughout the whole film,definitely hyped for the new tv series now 7-8/10.

Kinda sucks the seiyuu aren't going to be the same for the tv series,thought they really brought the characters to life in this (especially Kai's).
Apr 10, 2018 11:40 PM

Jan 2016
I
Shino-rin said:
Is there no chance for a TV series?

It's been 10 years but I guess there is one now.. lmao.
Apr 10, 2018 11:44 PM

Jan 2016
Man It's a good movie but there are things that needs to be explained more here and there.. To be honest, I felt sad after watching it. looking forward to the TV adaptation.
Apr 27, 2018 11:25 AM

Dec 2014
It was a good movie and left you with the feeling of completeness.... Now the anime is out...you tend to compare it.... both anime and movie have scenes that could be done better and have scenes which defied more meaning
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» So why is it "Forest of Piano" and not "Piano of the Forest"

srogers1 - Mar 24, 2019

2 by srogers1 »»
Jun 8, 2019 7:14 PM

» Junko Takeuchi!?

Sesam - Jul 6, 2010

1 by Lahve »»
Apr 4, 2013 7:20 PM

» Piano no Mori - Seiyuu question.

disgust - Mar 18, 2008

6 by cyruz »»
Mar 21, 2008 4:32 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.