Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 4, 2018 10:48 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I guess this was an okay start but I didn't find it outstanding in any way yet.

The basic premise pretty much involves a historical setting in Japan with samurai themes. It didn't take long for conflict to break out already. And in the meantime, I think the main character is tolerable to watch at the moment.

We don't know too much about him yet so I hope the show focuses more characterization on the MC. This had more action than I had expected.
Oct 4, 2018 2:58 PM

Jan 2018
A pretty average first episode, but I feel like it has some potential with some of the time travel elements. We'll see how it turns out though.
Oct 4, 2018 3:43 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
This wasn't that bad, definitely better than that boring nothing of Senjuushi last season so far.

I like to find humour in DEEN animation and this seems like a contender for some nice derp faces throughout the season.

Oct 4, 2018 4:14 PM

Jun 2009
nice soo far :D looking forward too next ep
Oct 4, 2018 7:08 PM

Jul 2017
Smudy said:
This wasn't that bad, definitely better than that boring nothing of Senjuushi last season so far.

I like to find humour in DEEN animation and this seems like a contender for some nice derp faces throughout the season.

Basically that.

Tubbyman said:
A pretty average first episode, but I feel like it has some potential with some of the time travel elements. We'll see how it turns out though.

Not bad by any means, but anything could be foreseen by far.
Oct 4, 2018 11:19 PM

Oct 2008
w0w! so many prominent historical popular characters! with time leap!? this is gonna be complicated! It's like Touken Ranbu gone all wrong with time jumping to change the history!
5/5.

Oct 5, 2018 5:24 PM

Jun 2014
What's the deal with the synopsis?
MAL said:
Kyoto, Japan. The heroine meets a man who gives her a pocket watch somehow leading to a Torii in a shrine, and suddenly it warps her into the Bakumatsu period. In the world of where there is such a difference in importance of value, she tries to find a way to go back. When she meets a man who has crossed time and says, "I will live for you," a love story between the two blossoms.

Is the MC a "heroine" that's yet to be seen and the first episode is just some kind of background story, or is the synopsis just fucked up?
Oct 5, 2018 10:17 PM

Aug 2015
Cazador75 said:
What's the deal with the synopsis?
MAL said:
Kyoto, Japan. The heroine meets a man who gives her a pocket watch somehow leading to a Torii in a shrine, and suddenly it warps her into the Bakumatsu period. In the world of where there is such a difference in importance of value, she tries to find a way to go back. When she meets a man who has crossed time and says, "I will live for you," a love story between the two blossoms.

Is the MC a "heroine" that's yet to be seen and the first episode is just some kind of background story, or is the synopsis just fucked up?

It seems like the background story of the original source material, which was an otome game, but this is classiified as a sci-fi/action so I don't even know if it's following the story or just using the general plot and take away the girl.

Will have to see for now.

❝ falling sick on a journey
my dream wanders around
fields of dry grass. ❞
()
Oct 6, 2018 9:47 AM

Jun 2013
that was so boring
Oct 7, 2018 5:32 AM

May 2015
It's average but the time travel premise seems more interesting than in the other time travel Derrida anime. I'll give it a chance for now.
Oct 8, 2018 8:07 AM
May 2009
Bakumatsu is not what I expected, and I don't like it. The production isn't that bad, and the writing is mixed some parts are decent other parts are absurd. If you are in for some fanservice, it might be an okay series. The dialogues are overall atrocious though.
Oct 8, 2018 1:43 PM

Jan 2014
Oh wow,.. after the first few minutes, I thought it was just a lower budget version of Intrigue in the Bakumatsu: Irohanihoheto (and, though decent, that show wasn't entirely without its flaws either), catered to a younger audience, but I was wrong. It is actually much worse than that!

The plot is bad, the art is bad (quite surpring to find Japanese animators who apparently have never even seen a picture of a katana), the characters are bad, and it's dropped.

3/10

P.S. what's with all the bare chested dudes in the alternate timeline?
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Oct 9, 2018 2:52 AM

Aug 2017
What the fuck did I just watch.

I'm glad I read the synopsis before I've even started the episode. It's interesting that the show is so bad that it's good. It have some unintentionally comedy like when the MC dropped a lot of bombs or the girl stole the artifact while they were doing nothing LMAO. Also, the ship exploded and they just flew away LOL. The characters have an unpleasant personality.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 17, 2018 5:50 PM
Jan 2017
Nurguburu said:
What the fuck did I just watch.

I'm glad I read the synopsis before I've even started the episode. It's interesting that the show is so bad that it's good. It have some unintentionally comedy like when the MC dropped a lot of bombs or the girl stole the artifact while they were doing nothing LMAO. Also, the ship exploded and they just flew away LOL. The characters have an unpleasant personality.

Yeah I'm with you. To be honest I dropped this about five minutes in. Okay I get it's samurai action nonsense; I'll let you board a ship that's riding at anchor on high waves by just boating up alongside it and somehow not being smashed to pieces; I'll let you get away with there being no watch at all topside, whatever, fine.

But then the ship isn't even a ship inside. It's a series of vaguely ship-themed corridors with bright, even lighting, random steam pipes everywhere, little bits of machinery that aren't actual steamship machinery and aren't connected or doing anything, and most of all, what is all of this empty space with no crew or anything?

Like you can go and see actual old steam-and-sail warships and certainly lots of drawings of them. I promise you the mid-19th century isn't lost to the mists of time. They were dark, cramped places crammed with guns, stores, and huge numbers of crew to manually load and fire the guns and most of all to shift the huge sailing rigs. Only the captain and maybe two or three other guys would have even a shared cabin, most of the crew just crammed in wherever. The boiler and engine were down in the hold and they weren't random collections of steampunk nonsense, they were big bulky impressive and very simple machines that you could immediately understand by looking at. And the steam went from the boiler into the engine out through a condenser and back to the boiler! It did not go randomly all throughout the ship in little pipes that you can break with your hands, and if you did break them you would be horribly burned because even on an 1840s, single-expansion, saturated-steam powerplant it's still at like 30 psi and 135 C and it's not a damn tea kettle!

Nothing about this show is thought through or researched, its just pureed reconstituted tropes from previous equally silly samurai action nonsense. It's not deliberately anachronistic and jokey like Katanagatari its just poorly written. Why do they have all these artists and voice actors and animation directors working away when the basic source material is nonsensical garbage, why don't they take writing seriously
Oct 28, 2018 5:50 PM

Jun 2014
This seems quite exciting, and there's lots of hot guys in it!

Jul 7, 2019 9:54 AM

Jul 2015
Interesting concept but the execution seemed a bit average

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bakumatsu Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2018

8 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 7, 2019 1:43 PM

Poll: » Bakumatsu Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 13, 2018

4 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 7, 2019 1:27 PM

Poll: » Bakumatsu Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2018

3 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 7, 2019 1:10 PM

Poll: » Bakumatsu Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 29, 2018

4 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 7, 2019 12:54 PM

Poll: » Bakumatsu Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 22, 2018

3 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 7, 2019 12:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.