Forum Settings
Forums

People who make electronic music aren't musicians.

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Aug 4, 2017 8:02 AM

Oct 2011
Didgeridrongo said:
unless you're performing.
no.
but they're still musicians if they perform.
so.
are they musicians?

I dont think he'd be interested in continuing this conversation 4 years later.

Still, I wonder what he would have thought of the electronic pioneers known as a Kraftwerk.
Jan 12, 2018 1:11 AM
Jan 2018
Define Musician. To me, a musician is anyone that composes music, whether it be with an actual instrument or virtual. After all, the desired composition begins with one's mind. So, in essence, the outcome is the same and therefore irrevellent as to how it is produced.
Jan 12, 2018 11:12 PM

Mar 2016
I don't understand this. How is someone creating new music electronically less of a musician than someone covering old songs with a physical instrument?
BULLY!
Jan 13, 2018 2:35 AM

Jan 2010
Say this to the fathers of the eletronic music, the Kraftwerk.
Jan 13, 2018 2:44 AM

Apr 2014
u dont know much about music do you
Jan 13, 2018 3:04 AM

Jan 2015
come on guys, 2018 already we shouldnt wasted tsukomi on this outdated pattern of thought

la critique de l'intention pure
Jan 13, 2018 3:08 AM

Apr 2013
smh people be reviving this thread, OP if you're still alive I hope you realized how dumb you were after realizing Brian Eno exists (heck I can name-drop more but I'm still a pleb with the Electronic genre)

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Jan 13, 2018 3:46 AM

Apr 2015
I make electronic music and I purely disagree with this dude. Computer turns into a musical instrument once you start composing.
Jan 13, 2018 9:28 AM

Jun 2016
Hollywood celebrities who get paid millions to mumble gibberish into a microphone and autotune it are even less of musicians than people who make electronic music, at least some electronic music is good.
Jan 19, 2018 12:38 PM

Jan 2018
What type of ignorant comment is this? So, the people who are musicians and make music on a computer are not musicians? So technology advancement instead of traditional are not musicians? You seriously have it wrong on this topic!
Jan 19, 2018 1:09 PM
Nov 2017
Out of all things to revive, with the knowledge of the future to extrapolate on, this is what was chosen.

Your new prison is shame.
Jan 19, 2018 1:54 PM

Jun 2014
As someone who hates all electronic music, I wholeheartedly agree with OP.

I know that a lot of people here will disagree with that statement, but not everyone is into the same thing.

Jan 21, 2018 11:34 PM

Mar 2009
A perfect example of 'no true Scotsman' logical fallacy.

Also, OP seems to act like 'musician' is some sort of a noble title that automatically signifies skill, knowledge and virtues of its owner.
Jan 22, 2018 2:13 AM

Jul 2015
Seiya said:

I know that a lot of people here will disagree with that statement, but not everyone is into the same thing.

It's not a matter of agreeing or not, it's just that OP's statement is flat out wrong. He's grossly mistaking musician and instrumentalist. You can very well be a musician without playing any physical instrument.
Jan 22, 2018 2:32 AM
Feb 2014
borninthewronggeneration.jpg

Lost_Viking said:
Hollywood celebrities who get paid millions to mumble gibberish into a microphone and autotune it are even less of musicians than people who make electronic music, at least some electronic music is good.

Jan 22, 2018 4:47 AM
Jul 2018
Sometimes, ignorance isn't a bless.
Jan 22, 2018 5:31 AM
Mar 2016
so if us producers arent musicians then what are we supposed to be? programmers?

obviously making music makes you a musician regardless of what instrument you play, hell i'd even consider DAWs to be instruments
WeabooFuccboiJan 22, 2018 5:34 AM
Jan 22, 2018 5:36 AM

Sep 2012
who bumped this thread?
electronic music still has a composing element to it, so no ur wrong.
now trap music, that's really stretching the definition of "musician"

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Jan 22, 2018 7:10 AM

Mar 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIyE3EDCigE

"YOU HAVE TECHNICIANS HERE MAKING NOISE, NO ONE IS A MUSICIAN!"

"THEY ARE NOT ARTISTS BECAUSE NOBODY CAN PLAY THE GUITAR!"

> this thread's supporters rn

【=◈︿◈=】 “Even a fool can make the impossible possible if he doesn’t give up." 【=◈︿◈=】
Jan 22, 2018 3:16 PM

Oct 2017
John-Wayne said:
Musicians play real musical instruments, not computers.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen. This is an actual sentence, screenshot this masterpiece if you want.
I bet your ass $1000 that this kid hasn't even touched a DAW in his life, or simply doesn't have enough talent, time or skill to do so.

As much as I hate to even be replying to Mr. Einstein here; I still would wanna ask you: What if the producer does play actual instruments, alongside of composing?
Still not a musician? Because I know a lot of people who can do that... Skrillex, Charlie Puth, KSHMR,. And many other big producers out there who can play.

Just to add, I'd rather listen to songs with piano notes, heavy bass, guitar strings, unique drum percussions, etc. all playing the same time, with mastered quality than to listen to a Mozart's piano collection. [/u]
SarymJan 23, 2018 2:11 AM
Jan 22, 2018 7:01 PM

Aug 2012
People who make electronic music aren't musicians.

make ... music

...musicians.

hmmm, hot take much?
Jan 22, 2018 7:04 PM

Jun 2011
Seiya said:

Do you even hate the song Heart of Glass?

The anime community in a nutshell.
Jan 22, 2018 7:11 PM

Aug 2013
By extension, composers that don't actively perform their own compositions aren't musicians either, because they're just making other people from an orchestra play the music for them, much in the same way that MIDI is just sheet music for the computer.
Jan 22, 2018 7:14 PM

Jun 2014
Energetic-Nova said:
Seiya said:

That's not the same thing. There were real musicians on that recording. The Roland CR-78 isn't the same as using a computer, because it works in a similar principle as someone playing a synthesizer.

Jan 22, 2018 7:22 PM

Jun 2011
Seiya said:
Energetic-Nova said:

That's not the same thing. There were real musicians on that recording. The Roland CR-78 isn't the same as using a computer, because it works in a similar principle as someone playing a synthesizer.

Sorry, too busy listening to easy to make music to care. (yes they were a techno band)

Wondering why you think synthesizers are any less computer music.... You still have to know notes on your computer.

*Dancing*
Energetic-NovaJan 22, 2018 7:27 PM
Jan 22, 2018 7:26 PM

Jun 2014
Energetic-Nova said:
Seiya said:

Sorry, too busy listening to easy to make music to care. (yes they were a techno band)

Wondering if you think synthesizers are any less computer music....

That type of music is not my cup of tea. It's way too modern for my tastes.

Jan 22, 2018 7:31 PM

Jun 2011

Jan 22, 2018 7:31 PM

Jun 2011
Seiya said:
Energetic-Nova said:

Wondering if you think synthesizers are any less computer music....

Made in the year 1999-2000. lol Almost 20 years old.
Jan 22, 2018 7:33 PM

Jun 2011
Classic, and used computers.
Jan 22, 2018 7:44 PM

Jun 2014
Energetic-Nova said:
Seiya said:

I don't listen to music recorded from 1990 to present. I didn't grow up with it.

I grew up playing my Grandparents old LPs and 45s that were laying around the house, and I ignored all modern music. While I listened to a little bit of 70s & 80s, the majority of the music I listened to was from the 50s and 60s.

Jan 23, 2018 2:12 AM

Oct 2017
Seiya said:
Energetic-Nova said:

I don't listen to music recorded from 1990 to present. I didn't grow up with it.

I grew up playing my Grandparents old LPs and 45s that were laying around the house, and I ignored all modern music. While I listened to a little bit of 70s & 80s, the majority of the music I listened to was from the 50s and 60s.

lmao kpop must be your worst nightmare
Jan 23, 2018 3:17 AM

Mar 2017
Nice troll post lul
Jan 23, 2018 7:06 AM

Jun 2014
Sarim-kun said:
Seiya said:

lmao kpop must be your worst nightmare

I've never listened to k-pop before, but I certainly don't have any plans to.

Jan 23, 2018 12:24 PM

Jul 2014
I'm sorry but that's flat out wrong. Music is still technically being produced, albeit using software as opposed to tangible instruments. And creating good electronic music does require effort btw. Just listen to the layered soundscapes of Trent Reznor's work for example.
Take care of yourself

Jan 30, 2018 8:42 AM

Mar 2016
Trent Reznor is amazing
【=◈︿◈=】 “Even a fool can make the impossible possible if he doesn’t give up." 【=◈︿◈=】
Feb 23, 2018 6:47 PM

Feb 2018
This man made a bait thread in 2013 and he's still triggering retards 4 years later. 10/10 bait
Feb 23, 2018 7:07 PM

Feb 2010
that's as bull *** as saying people who use Illustration programs can't be artist which is BS because i would like to see you try to make what they make.

this song was originally made on the computer but has a variant that used real instruments.

so by your logic these are both music and not music.
GrimAtramentFeb 23, 2018 7:12 PM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Feb 24, 2018 10:50 AM
Jan 2018
Music is something that people can enjoy, no matter how much effort is put into it its still appreciated by people. As for someone who loves house music, i can see the similarities of the music being produced with instruments and computers.

Troll or not, my opinion is out there :)

edit: realized this post is old af lol
Feb 24, 2018 10:59 AM

Jan 2017
I produce music using a voicebank on my computer, and I create the instrumental using real instruments. I can not sing myself so I use the voicebank of people like Kagamine Len, Hatsune Miku which is made using the voices of different people.
Mar 1, 2018 4:06 AM

Jan 2013
People make this stupid assertions only to stir up hate, attract attention, and sound edgy.

They don't really don't care or understand that much about music.

It's more of a hormonal thing.

Sorry 4 necro tho.
ConfusionHazeMar 1, 2018 4:29 AM
Mar 8, 2018 3:11 AM

Jun 2017
It doesn't matter if you're using a MIDI and your laptop to make beats, or conducting an orchestra, making any kind of music requires both talent and knowledge related to music theory. It may look easy, but it's a lot harder than s*itposting on a forum.

And John Wayne was a racist & a hack.
Mar 13, 2018 5:52 AM

Feb 2018
I am personally not against electronic music, i have some songs that i like from this genre
BUT BUT
I am totally against electronic music "Concerts". Like, the purpose of a concert is that of seeing your favourite artist playing LIVE. I don't get how a electronic music artist can play live their most popular songs or whatever.
Mar 13, 2018 7:49 AM

Aug 2013
Dorian20 said:
I am personally not against electronic music, i have some songs that i like from this genre
BUT BUT
I am totally against electronic music "Concerts". Like, the purpose of a concert is that of seeing your favourite artist playing LIVE. I don't get how a electronic music artist can play live their most popular songs or whatever.

I can agree with this to some extent. I mean, a lot of popular EDM artists just pump their fists in the air or whatever while trying to look busy, but they're not really doing anything too important. In the same vein, a lot of DJs are essentially just a bunch of glorified radios; however, especially in stuff like the techno scene, the artist engages a lot more with their tracks, and arranges and improvises things on the spot, much like a conductor who directs a musical composition. Some DJs are also pretty good at making their playlist go on forever without stop, while aligning beats, making smooth seamless transitions between the tracks, manipulating the volume, crossfaders, etc. I think electronic music artists can be worth going to when they're very active and engaged in the tracks they're playing, and I also think some DJs deserve respect, but I wouldn't really be too interested in seeing people like Kygo or Aviici "perform" live...
Mar 13, 2018 8:16 AM

Feb 2018
Yes, i totally agree with you.
It's just funny how tens of thousands of people just gather around to jump together to some playback music :D
If you want to do that you would be better off doing some kangoo jump at the gym :D
If that music in the link is really yours, then i must say it sounds good. It feels like some avantgarde jazz, i guess
Dorian20Mar 13, 2018 8:23 AM
Mar 13, 2018 9:57 AM

Jan 2018
i forgot that you just have to press a couple buttons on a computer and the computer makes the song on it's own. good bait tho
oh dear it seems i've been Owned on myanimelist.com by a user who rated oreimo 10 stars
Mar 13, 2018 10:17 AM

Feb 2018
GiantTurtle0 said:
i forgot that you just have to press a couple buttons on a computer and the computer makes the song on it's own. good bait tho

Who are you talking about?
Mar 13, 2018 10:58 AM

Aug 2013
Dorian20 said:
Yes, i totally agree with you.
It's just funny how tens of thousands of people just gather around to jump together to some playback music :D
If you want to do that you would be better off doing some kangoo jump at the gym :D

Yeah, I definitely agree with you there. :P

If that music in the link is really yours, then i must say it sounds good. It feels like some avantgarde jazz, i guess

It's my music yeah, and thanks a lot!!
Apr 12, 2018 12:17 AM

Aug 2014
Thread locked

This old and obvious bait thread doesn't need to be posted in anymore.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7582 by Maumuu »»
5 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3383 by 3miL »»
6 hours ago

» Discuss the last movie you watched ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GloriousHawk - Dec 29, 2012

4817 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
11 hours ago

» Anime songs in your playlist

bevarnow - Mar 11

2 by Pengawas »»
Today, 6:00 AM

» Mal spotify collaborative playlist ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Jan 6

60 by tsukareru »»
Yesterday, 12:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.