Forum Settings
Forums

Discuss books you are currently reading now? (MANGA EXCLUDED)

New
Pages (114) « First ... « 100 101 [102] 103 104 » ... Last »
Jun 23, 2017 4:09 AM

Jun 2016
Re-reading my very 1st novel I finished: A Christmas Carol. It's still amazing.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jun 27, 2017 12:12 AM

Aug 2012
Currently reading Flatland: A Romance Of Many Dimensions.
Jul 9, 2017 9:01 AM

Mar 2016
Finished Oedipus the King. I'd be interested in some analysis like what was the cause of Oedipus's tragic fall ? I think it was excessive pride and over-confidence in his incessant efforts to find the truth.
Jul 9, 2017 9:05 AM
Feb 2016
I've finished God and the State, The Man in the High Castle, Mercenaries: Putting the World to Rights with Hired Guns and On a Pale Horse. At the moment I'm reading Harmony by Project Itoh.

Jul 9, 2017 9:05 AM

Aug 2012
The Count of Monte Cristo. Pretty good, half way through.
Jul 9, 2017 9:36 AM

Aug 2016
Rereading Neuromancer by William Gibson.

The sky over the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Great stuff.

InsomnaicEntity said:

Oh man, as revenge tales go, it is awesome.

DragonSlayer_19 said:
Finished Oedipus the King. I'd be interested in some analysis like what was the cause of Oedipus's tragic fall ? I think it was excessive pride and over-confidence in his incessant efforts to find the truth.

His desire and drive to find the truth is probably more important than his pride. I don't recall him succumbing to hubris, though.

Tragic falls and tragic flaws for ancient Greek drama aren't entirely the point, unlike Shakespearean drama. It is more about the fall itself than having a flaw that causes it. Aristotle sheds some light on this in his Poetics where he explains how a tragic hero should have attained a high position in life and society before they hit rock bottom.
Jul 9, 2017 10:14 AM

Mar 2016
Fvlminatvs said:
Rereading Neuromancer by William Gibson.

The sky over the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Great stuff.

InsomnaicEntity said:

Oh man, as revenge tales go, it is awesome.

DragonSlayer_19 said:

His desire and drive to find the truth is probably more important than his pride. I don't recall him succumbing to hubris, though.

Tragic falls and tragic flaws for ancient Greek drama aren't entirely the point, unlike Shakespearean drama. It is more about the fall itself than having a flaw that causes it. Aristotle sheds some light on this in his Poetics where he explains how a tragic hero should have attained a high position in life and society before they hit rock bottom.

I'd argue he did have excessive pride. He was boastful infront of Tiresias saying that he is the one who rid Thebes of the Sphinx at a time when the prophet didn't bother helping the people of Thebes. He was so bent on finding the criminal and cursing him when he didn't take into account into account he might be part of it despite how far fetched it would sound for a hero like him to be a criminal. It's because of that pride and responsibilty he attained, he felt a drive to solve the riddle for his people and as a champion of the people. He said that Tiresias mocking him would only show how great he is. There os a chorus part that says "pride breeds the tyrant". You might argue that it was Oedipus's cognitive defensive mechanism that drove him to lose any sense of reasoning his way through the conversation with Tiresias because accusing him of such a deed is really hard to take in, and there was little information to support such an accusation, but he was blinded enough to accuse Creon though he of all people should know Creon well enough to not blame him and thinking he can seek the truth without the help of any cosmic entity that transcend the existence of normal men in hopes the truth would turn out different than what oracles stated. Blindness is an integral theme to this story. Now i agree also over his obsession to find the truth also. There were points in the story where Jocasta told him to stop pursuing the truth since it may hold pains for him, but he couldn't not stay resltless about it.
Shishou_23Jul 9, 2017 10:19 AM
Jul 9, 2017 11:59 AM

Oct 2014
AtaraxiaM said:
Roma by Steven Saylor
The Beautiful World by Keiichi Sigsawa
1984 by George Orwell (this one's for school, and I pretty much despise it even though I liked Orwell's Animal Farm D:)

1984 is not that bad, sure the characters have not much in terms of personality, but the theming and striking representation of totalitarism are really this book greatest strenghts
Jul 9, 2017 8:26 PM

Aug 2016
DragonSlayer_19 said:
I'd argue he did have excessive pride.

It has been over a decade since I read Sophocles so like I said, I don't remember him having overweening pride. Considering all the evidence you throw out there, it sounds like he does but I'd have to read it again.

Blindness is an integral theme to this story.

Absolutely. He's blind to the truth about himself until... well... he realizes the truth and once he can "see" it he blinds himself literally. Pretty textbook irony and symbolism and stuff.

Anyway, like I said, tragic flaws are more a Shakespeare thing. They weren't necessary in Greek drama, although hubris was a great excuse for a fall. Euripides' Heracles really didn't attribute a tragic flaw to the titular hero--he just went nuts and murdered everyone dear to him because the gods afflicted him with madness. It was the fall itself that was important. Circumstances needed a logical cause but that cause didn't need to really be a personal flaw but instead could have been caused by a jealous rival that underhandedly backstabs the hero and that causes the fall.

Like I said, Aristotle talks all about this in his Poetics. Go check it out. It is only a dozen or two dozen pages long--at least, the part that survives, anyway.
Jul 10, 2017 1:56 AM

Jun 2015
I am reading Lilac Girls right now. Based on some stuff that happened in WWII. I am a huge sucker for historical fiction.
:)
Jul 16, 2017 6:15 AM

Jan 2015
The alchemist by you know who..
A random comment from 2013 quiet describe my feeling, lol
"Paulo Coelho says incredibly superficial, obvious things and behaves like he’s some kind of sage. People like that deserve to be slapped until they shut up."

la critique de l'intention pure
Jul 16, 2017 6:26 AM

Aug 2012
karambia said:
The alchemist by you know who..
A random comment from 2013 quiet describe my feeling, lol
"Paulo Coelho says incredibly superficial, obvious things and behaves like he’s some kind of sage. People like that deserve to be slapped until they shut up."
The book was fine, imo. But Paulo ruined it with his super bullcrap that only a 9 year old would believe. The novel barely has any development. It's just "Here I am, I want to do this" type of theme. Surprisingly overrated.
Jul 18, 2017 3:15 AM

Nov 2014
A Higher Call by Adam Makos. A great book about honor in WWII.

Jul 18, 2017 3:25 AM

Aug 2012
Just finished The Count of Monte Cristo, was pretty overrated imo. I don't see why it is considered a 'legendary' novel by alot of people.

Starting Story of The Eye
Jul 18, 2017 3:43 AM

Mar 2014
Reading Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. The plot is very interesting though the characters not so much.
Jul 18, 2017 3:58 AM
Jul 2018
Withcer Time of contempt-Andrzej Sapkowski

This series has less magic stuff than I expected. Lot of dry wit to keep you entertained through even the dullest conversations and scenes.
Jul 20, 2017 12:09 AM

Aug 2012
Started Story of The Eye yesterday. It's....something alright.
Jul 22, 2017 9:06 PM
Jul 2018
Did you experienced the same feeling, when you finally read the Cursed Child and god damn yes, it's actually written like a Harry Potter badfic. I mean plotwise. ;_; In relation to who the characters are... or were, they are OOC af and that Mary Sue...
Please give me the strength to finish it. Pls kill me.
Jul 22, 2017 10:20 PM

Jun 2013
Wind/Pinball by Haruki Murakami.

Kafka on the Shore, also by HK.

If you haven't read Murakami, please give it a try. His style flows like a dream.
Jul 22, 2017 10:35 PM

Dec 2016
I recently read Fyodor Dostoevsky Crime and Punishment. It's a great book that examines notions of morality and law.

I'm about to start Ayn Rand, objectively acclaimed magnum opus Atlas Shrugged. I hope it lives up to it's expectations.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 15, 2017 3:37 AM

Aug 2012
The Metamorphosis and Other Stories by Franz Kafka
Aug 15, 2017 6:48 AM

Aug 2016
"Semiconductor Device Fundamentals" by Robert F. Pierret

Holy shit the way he explains the topic is good but I'm still trash.

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

Aug 17, 2017 1:56 PM

Aug 2012
A Hunger Artist by Franz Kafka
Aug 17, 2017 3:04 PM

Jun 2017
Disgrace by J. M. Coetzee

Really interesting read, I believe it's written in first-person omniscient and my golly, the main character is...

Well, you gotta read it to get it! :P

-Ken R
ATATATATATATATATA! Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru.
Shout-out to @SpectralPoison (2017 Secret Santa) for creating this wonderful gift [signature/profile/avatar pics]!
Aug 17, 2017 3:44 PM

Jan 2017
Reading the Sword Art Online LN up to volume 2.
Also starting the Kono Suba LN love the anime so why not.
Aug 22, 2017 11:56 PM

Sep 2011
Just finished Skyborn by David Dalglish -- First book I've read in a while that didn't completely pull me in. It kind of reminded me of a slice-of-life story in that I was completely unaware of the plot for the majority of the book, which didn't really work for me 'cause I didn't really like the main characters. The world was pretty cool though, so reading was often enjoyable. The plot basically setup the following novels, which I'll probably read.

About half way through Mort(e) by Robert Repino. Unsure what to make of this at the moment.

Also started reading The Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson. He's currently my fav fantasy writer. I don't think I've read a book from Sanderson that I didn't thoroughly enjoy.
Sep 3, 2017 6:27 AM
Jul 2018
So, I'm currently reading the third Harry Potter book now (FINALLY) and I really love to watch the story, writing and characterization develop through the books. I know it will get even better, so no surprise here, but I love all the little extra informations from the books. I. Love. It.
Sep 3, 2017 6:57 AM

May 2014
About to finish the count of monte cristo and I gotta say the unabridged version is long af. I haven't read the abridged version but I imagine its better just because of how some backstories and subplots could be a lot shorter than they are.
Also

I've been here way too long...
Sep 3, 2017 7:00 AM

Aug 2017
Just finished Red queen, enjoyable, but a bit predictable. It's not an outstanding book, but it's world is interesting enough for me to want to pick up the sequel sometime. I hope they explore the backstory of the world some more, and why things came to be the way they were.

Going to read ''a darker shade of magic'' next, since I've heard a lot of good things about it.
Sep 3, 2017 11:54 AM

Aug 2012
TheConquerer said:

Sep 3, 2017 12:08 PM

May 2014
Yarub said:
TheConquerer said:

idk if its just the unabridged one but the doctor tells him so many times its happening as well.
I've been here way too long...
Sep 4, 2017 7:00 PM
Jul 2018
I'm reading ''The name of the wind'' by Patrick Rothfuss

Interesting book, Very mysterious. Each time I pick it up I can visualize the characters. I'm not done yet btw I'm only a couple hundred pages in

I've also heard they're thinking of making the kingkiller series into a tv series which would be terrible.

It's about a story about a man telling a story and in that story someone is telling another story.

removed-userSep 5, 2017 10:21 AM
Sep 7, 2017 1:31 PM

Mar 2012
Anyone read the Lies of Locke Lamora?

Veneficia said:

Interesting book, Very mysterious. Each time I pick it up I can visualize the characters. I'm not done yet btw I'm only a couple hundred pages in

I've also heard they're thinking of making the kingkiller series into a tv series which would be terrible.

It's about a story about a man telling a story and in that story someone is telling another story.

It's an amazing book where the journey keeps heading off in unexpected directions outside of the reader's expectations.

End Zionazism
Sep 8, 2017 1:05 AM

Jun 2012
Veneficia said:

Have you read any other fantasy novels, such as A Song of Ice and Fire? I've had my eye on Rothfuss' work for a while now, but I'm still not too sure if I'd like it.

Right now I'm reading Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson. Been a fan since I started reading the sublime Stormlight Archives series and I'm enjoying Warbreaker a lot as well. Sanderson is really, really good at building fictional worlds, coming up with magic systems that seem over-the-top weird yet work incredibly well and creating fascinating and likeable characters.
Sep 8, 2017 7:41 PM

Jul 2016
Right now I'm reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I'm only ~60 pages in and I already love it.
Sep 8, 2017 9:11 PM

Jan 2010
is novel length fanfictions count

The last book I read is City of the Dead (Resident Evil Novel)
Sep 9, 2017 5:18 AM

Apr 2014
Game of Thrones.

I can easily read through this it's so hard to put down.
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
Sep 17, 2017 7:27 PM
Jul 2018
Well, I'm done with "Name of the wind" and I gotta say pretty damn good. There are a lot of memorable quotes and the mc is very likable. Though there's no real danger for him. I still enjoy the journey that kvothe had gone through his youth. He's still at the university and hopefully by the end of the trilogy the loose ends will be mostly tied up. I have many things I enjoy from this but I wish not to spoil anything.

8/10

Now to start "The Wise Man's Fear"

I also bought the mistborn trilogy
Sep 17, 2017 8:11 PM

Jan 2014
OK so I have to read a book for my philosophy class and another called "Deaf Like Me" for my Sign Language class. Wish me luck.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Sep 18, 2017 5:49 PM

Sep 2017
I am currently reading Homers Odyssey, i am more used to reading dystopian and more adventure style books so this one has been a challenge!
Sep 27, 2017 10:31 AM

Jul 2013
Presently reading His Majesty's Dragon as a followup to Uprooted which had me surprisingly gripped. A slowish start, but I'm always a bit of a sucker for the whole dragon-human bond thing and the Napoleonic war setting shows promise.
Sep 27, 2017 11:18 AM

Nov 2015
From my school library, I'm reading the books The Alchemist's Dream by John Wilson, and the classic Diary of Anne Frank.

I just bought a book called Pantomime by Laura Lam, it's about a circus. Only read the first chapter but looks promising.

I also just bought the first volume of Baccano so I'll be reading that soon.

And I recently finished the Grisha series by Leigh Bardugo. It's a pretty good series.
Sep 27, 2017 6:17 PM
Mar 2014
I'm reading "For A New Liberty: The Libertarian Manifesto"
a lot of interesting facts about economy and actually deepens much my hatred against governments.

Also reading "Mein Kampf"
It looks promising too.
Sep 28, 2017 12:48 AM

Jan 2017
Not reading anything atm (too busy withs school works) but I'm planning to continue and finish Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Quite interesting and mysterious. And the pictures are kind of creepy in away.
Sep 28, 2017 12:52 AM

Jul 2016
Well my own book, as I'm currently writing it.
I'm think of calling it "Internal Struggle". To reflect the Isolationist nature that plays a prominent role within the story and world.
Sep 30, 2017 2:12 AM

Sep 2015
I just finished 'The Humans' by Matt Haig, which was amazing. He's quickly becoming one of my favourite authors.

Now I'm reading The Shining by Stephen King.
Oct 3, 2017 8:04 AM

Nov 2016
iQ84-trilogy by Haruki Murakami. It's absolutely amazing.
"In this world, evil can arise from the best of intentions. And there is good which can come from evil intentions"
Oct 3, 2017 8:22 AM

Jul 2015
pumping ions - tom wujec
Oct 3, 2017 8:25 AM

May 2015
life of pi is pretty not bad
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Nov 18, 2017 2:21 AM

Sep 2011
About ~450 pages into In the Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I bought the book a while ago, but only decided to start reading it after seeing some of the comments in this thread about it.

Was on a plane recently and the guy next to me happened to have read it and thought it was a slow starter. I can see what he means, but I find it much more engaging and I really lose track of time as I read it. Honestly the best fantasy novel I've read in a while.

Also about a quarter of the way through Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! by Richard Feynman. It's amusing. So far it reads the same way that I'd imagine an old grandpa tells stories of his past. "Back in my day", "One time when I was young", etc... (it doesn't say that outright, but the almost conversational/casual writing can make it feel that way-- I also think it makes the book really approachable). I like it none the less.

Finally, picked up Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. Haven't started yet, but it's probably what I'll move onto next. I've read good things about it.
EeyoreNov 18, 2017 2:31 AM
Pages (114) « First ... « 100 101 [102] 103 104 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What Is Your Favorite Genre Of Music?

TheAnimeLogician - Yesterday

11 by KayKimii »»
59 minutes ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

8648 by KitsuFrost »»
5 hours ago

» New devil may cry animated series

Old_School_Akira - Sep 19

4 by Yuno »»
10 hours ago

» Discuss the last movie you watched ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GloriousHawk - Dec 29, 2012

4904 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
12 hours ago

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Apr 26

272 by luffysenchou »»
Today, 2:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.