Forum Settings
Forums

Agnostics of MAL, what is your favorite religion, and have you considered converting to that religion?

New
Aug 16, 2017 4:15 PM

May 2016
Not really much of an explanation here. Just curiosity.

I suppose I should go first as the OP. Im not agnostic, so i'll just give my favorite religions that i dont believe in: Wicca and Taoism. havent thought about conversion, but i have incorporated some of their beliefs and practices regarding spirituality into my own beliefs and practices.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 16, 2017 4:25 PM

Feb 2010
I am Christian i study things from religion to Folklore (mostly folklore and mythology)
i respect
Taoism
Buddhism
Hinduism
Catholicism
Shintoism
Native american Beleifs
Greek/Romen Mythology
Egypt Mythology
Norse Mythology
Celtic Mythology
Wicca
i respect but disagree with some policies from
Islam
i disagree with but respect
atheism
i dislike
Scientology (what do super advanced aliens need human currency for?)

does that answer your question?
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Aug 16, 2017 4:28 PM
Mar 2011
hazerddex said:
Scientology (what do super advanced aliens need human currency for?)

this made me giggle .................................
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 16, 2017 4:34 PM

Jun 2016
Never been an agnostic but I'm a former atheist who's on the path to becoming a Germanic pagan. I've been reading and researching it quite a bit lately. I also like Slavic paganism, I have both Germanic and Slavic ancestry but seeing as Germanic makes up the most I lean in that direction.
Lost_VikingAug 16, 2017 4:37 PM
Aug 16, 2017 4:35 PM

Jun 2011
I'm a weeb, so obviously Shintoism.
Aug 16, 2017 4:39 PM

Oct 2014

...or Flying Spaghetti Monster. Both'll work for me.
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Aug 16, 2017 4:40 PM

Jul 2017
Taoism would be one of my favorites, and I have considered converting. I thought about it and ended up not converting for various reasons I won't bother explaining.

I can't wait till this thread becomes a Madoka or Haruhi discussion...

Edit: I did not see the post above mine, it already started it seems.
Aug 16, 2017 4:42 PM

Feb 2010
Narmy said:

Shinto is not the only religion practices in japan Taoism or Buddhism were also practice in history and modern times.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Aug 16, 2017 4:43 PM

Jun 2016
8oomer said:

...or Flying Spaghetti Monster. Both'll work for me.

MangoYuri said:
Taoism would be one of my favorites, and I have considered converting. I thought about it and ended up not converting for various reasons I won't bother explaining.

I can't wait till this thread becomes a Madoka or Haruhi discussion...

Edit: I did not see the post above mine, it already started it seems.

Do you have time to talk about our lord and savior Kaname Madoka?

Aug 16, 2017 4:44 PM
Mar 2011
hazerddex said:
Narmy said:

Shinto is not the only religion practices in japan Taoism or Buddhism were also practice in history and modern times.

taoism is not reealy a realgion its Phiopahpy over all
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Aug 16, 2017 4:44 PM

Feb 2008
Paganism or Hellenic polytheists
but i honestly just find it funner to study them
Aug 16, 2017 4:49 PM

Jan 2009
as an agnostic and a fan of science i like the religion buddhism since they do not worship god/s but just teach their followers discipline of the mind through mindfulness meditation that is scientifically proven to be therapeutic

and also pantheism the belief that all things in the universe/omniverse is god itself
Aug 17, 2017 4:55 AM

May 2014
I like Buddhism because it encourages you to find power within yourself rather than rely on a God who may or may not exist. Its a much healthier type of religion.
I'd love to be a Jainist too because it revolves around looking after all living things and respecting one another.
Aug 17, 2017 6:09 AM

Aug 2013
Not an agnostic, but I like taoism. Being a Norwegian I also grew up with norse mythology, so I'm quite well-versed with that sort of stuff, and I think it's fun to read about. I have no reason to actually believe in it, though.
Aug 17, 2017 6:17 AM
Jul 2018
im agnostic and i dont plant to convert to anything lol

funny thread, everyone here studies some religion but their school grades tell otherwise
Aug 17, 2017 6:17 AM

May 2010
Not a popular opinion, but I honestly love Christianity. Orthodox, protestant, Bible-believing Christianity especially. The idea of a sacred text really resonates with me. Not to mention, Christians are a great bulwark (never failing?) against leftism.

But I find most religions interesting, including Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Judaism, Shinto, paganism...
"My only agenda is to eviscerate any who might try to rule over and control me"- Sousuke Aizen

"Maybe, just maybe, there is no purpose in life... but if you linger a while longer in this world, you might discover something of value in it"- Orochimaru

"All men are not created equal... both in birth and in upbringing, in sheer scope of ability, every human is inherently different"- Charles zi Britannia

We are the Contra Mundi. We serve the great inimical Goddess who in her own time will destroy the world. Tremble, reprobates, in fear of her pitiless gaze.
Aug 17, 2017 6:57 AM

Mar 2008
i believe in aliens. You know, many people have seen UFOs, so there must be some interference. Obama is one of em.
Also: the concept of flat earth is actually true and i believe in the interference of the mother earth in our lives. Just that.
Aug 17, 2017 7:09 AM

Apr 2016
It depends on political and cultural discussion on the internet.
Aug 17, 2017 7:39 AM
Jul 2018
I don't have a favourite religion, even though I used to be quite into mythology, therefore no.

I was raised by a catholic family, even went to a Catholic school, but there's no way I can believe in something that can't be seen.
I believe in Humans, and that we have great potential to do great things. Unfortunately, we are still way too emotional to achieve them.
Aug 17, 2017 8:03 AM

Mar 2014
let me just take this opportunity to invite ya'll brothers and sisters to join my religion of islam. ALLAHUAKBAR ASTAGHFIRULLAH!!!!!!!!! we have bombs, a cool shemagh for your hair, القرآن الكريم and white people will immediatey go away once they see u (thus more room space for u) in subways trains buses and the sorts.
Aug 17, 2017 9:06 AM

Jan 2016
As an Italian guy my chosen religion would obviously be Pastafarianism.
All hail the great Flying Spaghetti Monster! 🙌🙌
Aug 17, 2017 9:16 AM

Aug 2017
I'm an atheist, but I don't really like that label. Just believe what ever you want. The only "religion" I would ever consider joining is something along the lines of Religious Humanism. I'm currently interested in Judaism, mostly because my kids go to daycare/pre-school at a Jewish Community Center. A lot of neat culture there.
Aug 17, 2017 9:32 AM

Dec 2015
I thought I might be interested in becoming a Jedi so I joined the order. But then I found out that Jedi aren't allowed to love and I couldn't bang my girlfriend. So I ignored all that nonsense, impregnated my girlfriend anyway, and then went on a rampage and murdered all the kids at Jedi camp. My best friend/mentor cut off one off my arms and both my legs but I just came back as an awesome robot and blew up a planet with my moon sized spaceship. Then we had a laser sword fight and then he disappeared into a pile of clothes?...being a Jedi is confusing.
Aug 17, 2017 10:10 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
y'all need Satan.

(that also includes the person who invented the 30 character bullshit)
Aug 17, 2017 1:05 PM

Mar 2008
I don't think I will ever wind up in a religion. I just take what I can from different ones. I might want to join a cult some day for fun.

Catholicism - Mostly from aesthetics about it and demonology
Gnosticism - Different way to look at the Judeo-Christian world view
Native American religions - I liked this since I was a id. Odd I dont know much still.
Australian Aboriginal religion - the dream time is just cool
Shamanism - do drugs see spirits sounds fun lol
Shinto - lots of interesting spirits
Buddhism - Just the original form the others like Tibetan ads unnecessary things . I dont really agree with the goal of Buddhism as it's not quite what I would want.
Hinduism - I do various Hindu mantras. It's amusing all the different forms of Hinduism.
Jainism - I respect Jains for being so hard core pacifists to the point some wont eat meat or vegetables and sweep a path with a feather broom to not step on insects. It's cool how you can become god level in it.
Taoism - I read the tao te ching. I'm a bit unclear where that has Taoists way into sexual stuff.
Thelema - I read the Book of the Law by Aleister Crowley. I find it interesting but I don't take it too seriously.
Hermeticism - I read the Kybalion. This stuff is pretty interesting but hard to understand too sometimes.
Theosophy - They basically think all religion have part of the truth
Wicca - Not all dogmatic and it's nice it's got a nature affinity to it but some aspects I see as silly.
Asatru - Nordic mythology is nice
Hellenism - Greek mythology is neat
Kemetism - Advanced civilization of ancient Egypt must have had something right.
Sufism - is pretty cool with their affinity for music and dancing as a type of mystical experience and I think Rumi's poetry is great. They are mostly pretty chill despite being super religious. Looks like it would be fun to be part of one of their circles. Only problem with them is I don't think I agree how they think Muhammad is a perfect example of an ideal human despite that there are some non Muslims Sufis.

traedAug 17, 2017 1:17 PM
Aug 17, 2017 1:43 PM

Aug 2012
traed said:

Sufism - is pretty cool with their affinity for music and dancing as a type of mystical experience and I think Rumi's poetry is great. They are mostly pretty chill despite being super religious. Looks like it would be fun to be part of one of their circles. Only problem with them is I don't think I agree how they think Muhammad is a perfect example of an ideal human despite that there are some non Muslims Sufis.

Sufism isn't even a religion. It was and will always be part of Islam. They're basically Islamic Mystics.
Aug 17, 2017 1:49 PM

Mar 2008
Yarub said:
traed said:

Sufism isn't even a religion. It was and will always be part of Islam. They're basically Islamic Mystics.

It's technically it's own religion because they accept non-Muslims into their group. There is a small number of non-Islamic Sufis as far as Im aware. It's both a part of Islam and a branch off of it's own. Isn't it fair to say it has those two sides to it?
Aug 17, 2017 1:51 PM

Aug 2012
traed said:
Yarub said:

It's technically it's own religion because they accept non-Muslims into their group. There is a small number of non-Islamic Sufis.

Then these 'members' aren't real Sufis. They can join their circles, not actually be one of them. Sufism is all about feeling God influencing you. How can an atheist even believe that?
Aug 17, 2017 1:53 PM

Mar 2008
Yarub said:
traed said:

It's technically it's own religion because they accept non-Muslims into their group. There is a small number of non-Islamic Sufis.

Then these 'members' aren't real Sufis. They can join their circles, not actually be one of them. Sufism is all about feeling God influencing you. How can an atheist even believe that?

I didn't say they were atheists. Obviously im talking about theists. I did't imply that Sufis arent Muslims but that Sufism is a complimentary to Islam.
traedAug 17, 2017 1:56 PM
Aug 17, 2017 1:57 PM
Mar 2011
traed said:
I don't think I will ever wind up in a religion. I just take what I can from different ones. I might want to join a cult some day for fun.

Buddhism - Just the original form the others like Tibetan ads unnecessary things . I dont really agree with the goal of Buddhism

what unnecessary things and what goal

Aug 17, 2017 2:00 PM

Dec 2012
I'd say Orthodox, they're interesting guys
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Aug 17, 2017 2:03 PM

Aug 2012
traed said:
Yarub said:

I didn't say they were atheists. Obviously im talking about theists. I did't imply that Sufis arent Muslims but that Sufism is a complimentary to Islam.
Ofcourse you didn't imply that. Since this is going ways, here the premise:
Sufism IS Islamic Mysticism.
Start from this.
Aug 17, 2017 2:23 PM

Mar 2008
DateYutaka said:
traed said:

Buddhism - Just the original form the others like Tibetan ads unnecessary things . I dont really agree with the goal of Buddhism

what unnecessary things and what goal

For example Tibetan Buddhism has gods from the religion Bon added to it. I personally do not like the idea of nirvana. I don't think it's a bad goal just not for me.
Aug 17, 2017 2:36 PM

Mar 2008
Yarub said:
traed said:

Ofcourse you didn't imply that. Since this is going ways, here the premise:
Sufism IS Islamic Mysticism.
Start from this.

Mysticism is usually the outsider of any religion because it's quite personal and thus can diverge from the religions of it's origin whether it's Christian Mysticism, Jewish Mysticism, or Islamic Mysticism. Mysticism is a method and feeling and interpretation. So it's kind of just about semantics on how you define each religion. Would you consider Nation of Islam to be Islam? Would you consider Bahai Faith to be Islam? What about Druze?
Aug 17, 2017 2:44 PM

Apr 2014
Buddhism. Achieving state of absolute chill seems irrefutably appealing to me. I wouldn't call myself an agnostic though.
Aug 17, 2017 2:46 PM

May 2012
Favorite religion, lol
That's as bad as having a favorite number or a favorite zodiac sign
Aug 17, 2017 2:48 PM

Apr 2014
Interrrrrpetgyu said:
Favorite religion, lol
That's as bad as having a favorite number or a favorite zodiac sign

What about having a favorite pokemon?
Aug 18, 2017 12:23 PM
Aug 2016
I was a christian when I was a kid,than slowly become an agnostic, and become an atheist like 2-3 years ago, and now I believe in reincarnation and also in the soul existence, so I don't actually know what I am. I even tried to do some astral projection a few times and failed everytime, and I know that astral projection is somehow connected with religion and soul, so I don't know what I am. But to be clearly, I don't believe in God, Satan, Heaven, Hell, angels, demons, etc.
Aug 18, 2017 1:36 PM

Jan 2014
I don't know about "religion," but I admire spirituality, the perspective of Native Americans, and even the concept of karma.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Aug 19, 2017 1:41 PM

May 2016
byakugami said:
Not a popular opinion, but I honestly love Christianity. Orthodox, protestant, Bible-believing Christianity especially. The idea of a sacred text really resonates with me. Not to mention, Christians are a great bulwark (never failing?) against leftism.

But I find most religions interesting, including Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Judaism, Shinto, paganism...

I think a lot of the negative opinions about christianity come from the fact that a lotta people have really fucked it up. A lot of people also misunderstand the bible as well. This deserves an entire article, but, in short, Christianity is not as dogmatic and oppressive as a lot of people think.

I was raised Protestant, but decided that didnt work for me anymore. Im a Christian but not Protestant, Catholic, or Eastern Orthodox. I also incorporate spiritual teachings and knowledge from Taoism and Wicca.
Aug 19, 2017 2:04 PM
Jul 2018
Agnostic atheist here.

All religions are boring and unbelievable as fuck so I don't have a favourite religion and I have never considered converting to any religion.
Aug 19, 2017 2:07 PM

Mar 2016
Scientology, I heard you can scam money out of stupid suckers, which I would approve of if I'm on the winning side of the spectrum.
Aug 19, 2017 2:40 PM
Jul 2018
I'm more of an atheist than an agnostic, but basically the same thing I guess...

Finnish paganism, the faith of my ancestors. Sadly there isn't much information left about it. Structures and such were mostly destroyed in the Northern crusades. There are some records left written down by priests back in the day, but the church is real stingy about sharing. Some aspects persist as pieces of our culture, like we don't have a word for ''bear'' only nicknames, and as tales passed down

I've thought about it, but like I said not much of the traditions left. Besides, I don't have the personality for religious practices.
Aug 20, 2017 2:17 PM

Feb 2015
There's only one being who you ahould devote your life. And, that is your waifu.
Aug 20, 2017 2:23 PM

Jul 2015
I'm not agnostic, so I'll give you my favorite religion I don't believe in: none. They're all cancer, tho monotheistic ones have a special place in my heart for being, by essence, the less tolerant and most efficient ones at brainwashing people.
Aug 20, 2017 2:26 PM

Dec 2016
YatoKirigaya said:

I think a lot of the negative opinions about christianity come from the fact that a lotta people have really fucked it up. A lot of people also misunderstand the bible as well. This deserves an entire article, but, in short, Christianity is not as dogmatic and oppressive as a lot of people think.

I was raised Protestant, but decided that didnt work for me anymore. Im a Christian but not Protestant, Catholic, or Eastern Orthodox. I also incorporate spiritual teachings and knowledge from Taoism and Wicca.

Hushhhhhhh. This thread is essentially for bashing religion and showing how edgy and cool people are. Don't try to bring any sort of balance here.
Aug 20, 2017 2:51 PM

Mar 2016
I'm not really agnostic, but should I say I have leanings towards it? To be honest, whenever I think of how I should tag myself, the most accurate description would be "confused".

Nevertheless, I was born and raised as a Muslim so I obviously lean strongly towards Islam. I somewhat like Catholicism too. It's very well structured, and their theology is great to study. Now if only they didn't threaten me with hell for not receiving God's blessings. Protestantism...not so much to be honest. I feel like many Protestants don't even know what they're protesting against.

Pietru said:
I'd say Orthodox, they're interesting guys

They do seem interesting. I love the beards.
Aug 20, 2017 3:14 PM

Oct 2015
You caught me, im an Agnostic. But the Norse Religion is pretty dope, especially Odin. To me, the Norse religion is all about being a strong person, not being a slave, encouraging you to live life to the fullest, and pretty much be Ubermensch-esque. Plus, going to Valhalla sounds fun, its the best afterlife out of all the ones i read about. All the food and drink you could want, hang out with warriors from different ages and cultures, and fight each without fear of permanent death. Id legit cry out of joy if i died and woke up to a Valkyrie taking me to Valhalla.
Also Odin is my favorite god, id gladly accept him as my deity if he existed.

Bobby2Hands said:
I thought I might be interested in becoming a Jedi so I joined the order. But then I found out that Jedi aren't allowed to love and I couldn't bang my girlfriend. So I ignored all that nonsense, impregnated my girlfriend anyway, and then went on a rampage and murdered all the kids at Jedi camp. My best friend/mentor cut off one off my arms and both my legs but I just came back as an awesome robot and blew up a planet with my moon sized spaceship. Then we had a laser sword fight and then he disappeared into a pile of clothes?...being a Jedi is confusing.

Sith > Jedi anyday.
The peasant is bound by the king. The king is bound by the peasants and their kingdom. But the Viking is bound to nothing but themselves.

Aug 20, 2017 4:11 PM

Dec 2016
I was raised in Catholicism, and I respect people who are religious and firm to their faith. But i'm pretty much against any kind of organized religion for myself and sometimes I'm more of an atheist than an agnostic. So if I had to choose, then Buddhism since they don't really worship any actual supreme god or whatever, and I like how strongly they believe in karma.

Anime was the catalyst of my life's downward spiral.
Joining MAL was the nail in my coffin.

Every day I keep screaming into the void,
but god just tells me to shut up.
Aug 21, 2017 2:45 AM

Mar 2012
Officially my current religion is supposed to be Christianity but I hate it, I'd rather classify myself as an atheist.

Religions that interest me:
Buddhism
Shintoism
I like the concepts both are based on, Buddhism preaches about respecting all life and not harming anyone while Shintoism is largely based on nature. I had watched a documentary on TV regarding Shintoism way back when I wasn't even into anime all that much and it really impressed me. Anime was another factor that made me interested even more.

A third religion that possibly interests me is Jainism, although I don't really know much about it.

As for converting I'd rather not. The actual practices and beliefs exist only for name sake or are only followed by priests/monks or maybe others who actually live in the temples/shrines. Most people these days don't really care about anything and only do what seems profitable or suitable to them.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Have you ever given up on major passions in your life?

RobertBobert - Today

30 by Serafos »»
7 minutes ago

» I am trying to get over 10,000 posts on this site by the end of this year....

DesuMaiden - 9 hours ago

21 by Serafos »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » do you believe in near term human extinction or NTHE?

deg - Today

37 by Serafos »»
9 minutes ago

» I used to use Facebook, until I got permabanned on it

DesuMaiden - 11 hours ago

19 by Serafos »»
12 minutes ago

» why are the nordic countries so happy?

deg - Mar 29

49 by traed »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.