Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 7, 2016 7:56 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty much a recap of the first series. However, they did include one of the most memorable parts which is the Kumiko and Reina mountain hiking scene with Reina in her gorgeous white dress.

They also had the end of the series performance too. The music is fairly decent. I think the movie had slightly better quality than the original series, can't wait for season 2 to start in Fall!

Sep 19, 2016 2:46 PM

Oct 2014
The visual is very beautiful, and this film, in one word, is simply EPIC

10/10

Umaku naritai, Umaku naritai...
Reina with that dress in the mountain...
is a confession of love...

Wahhhhhh, ∞/10
Oct 5, 2016 10:15 PM

Jun 2012
Nice refresher to watch before the second season.
Oct 6, 2016 12:58 AM

Aug 2011
They cut out Asuka's antics, no point watching this.
The closer you come to the light, the greater your shadow.
Oct 6, 2016 10:54 PM

Apr 2014
Great movie, even if it was just a recap

The final performance was pretty good

Oct 7, 2016 6:20 AM

Jul 2012
Pretty good recap and nice timing to refresh even not as a full picture. I'll most likely rewatch the whole thing later. The SunFes part was the most interesting, probably because it was new. Like the "remix" of the opening song in the end, now need to download it =/

Ethikx said:
They cut out Asuka's antics, no point watching this.

Yep that was the most dissapointing thing, so many great moments with her and they put only 1 ...
Oct 7, 2016 8:06 AM

Feb 2013
The orchestral remix of season 1 OP was something else haha.
Oct 7, 2016 1:05 PM

Jul 2014
SO AWESOME that they extended the Rydeen march scene! That was my favourite moment of the season.
Oct 8, 2016 8:08 AM

Oct 2012
A complete recap
But with those musics... I think I can enjoy watching this again and again xD
"Signature removed"
Oct 10, 2016 4:14 PM

Nov 2015
Just like everyone says they left out a lot of best scenes from the BEST GIRL Asuka. From the perspective of someone who watched the original series movie feels very rushed. Longer SunFest and re-record voice acting for some scenes was good. At least they didn't skip much Kumiko&Reina scenes and we could see our ship.

In any case, nicely done but I think those who watch this and not the whole season will miss out a lot because it is an amazing series.
GurushOct 13, 2016 6:51 PM
Nov 8, 2016 1:17 PM

May 2014
I dunno why people are so surprised about that the movie was a recap. I mean if you stay update with anime news it were told that this were only gonna be a recap and all new material movie. We all knew it, so I dunno why people are that disappointed.

Personally, I loved the movie. I think even if it were a recap they did a great job. The most important scenes from the first season were included. Amazing scenes with our favorite yuri couple, Reina x Kumiko, was shown. I see that a lot of people are pissed about that Asuka didn't get a lot screen time, but come on people. We all know this show is shown from Kumiko's point of view, so it's obvious Reina is the one who will get most of the scenes. I believe even in the main series Asuka is only a supporting character so it obviously she won't be shown so much in a short movie like this.

It's not like I hate Asuka. She is a great and funny character. But if you were the one to make a short movie out of 13 ep. series, ofc you would focus more on Kumiko and her closest friend, Reina. It's obvious you wouldn't use too much time on a side character.

Overall I think they did a good job with this movie. Maybe it's only me that enjoyed this movie more than I should. LOL
Jan 13, 2017 9:37 AM
Mar 2012
As a recap it's useful & little extras were wonderful. As a standalone film that condenses lots of sol some shots seem random or boring.
Some skipped: Asuka stuff. Gotou ship & tuba talk with Hazuki. Natsuki & most 2nd year issues backstory, which relates to Fumiko backstory & Reina. Teacher harping on Sensei & futon issue (a lot of Taki characterization). Tenor sax player & others who quit. With how long tv spent on 2nd yr issues surprising that's all cut.

Extras: Many shots of nameless oboe player (Mizore), added to Ribbon trumpeter's self doubt in that awkward silence shot (the interrupted segments mirror the band's state, & Ribbon's uncertainty, nice directing here).
Full SunFes. New shots were nice, lots more Hazuki, giant xylophone looks real heavy.
Fumiko still hilarious, but her narrations add quite a bit thoughtfulness & clarifies the story.
Maybe I'm using better headphones now, Mikazuki no Mai full sounds great, each part is more clear. More closeups of oboe/flute players & percussion animation look amazing.

Mountain farewell music with Hazuki rejected scenes still wonderful, simultaneous ship sailing & sinking felt ironic as hell.
Dream Solister full sounds cleaner & somehow really fits the ending.
Jan 25, 2017 3:50 AM

Sep 2013
The Art <3 <3
The change in voices though, sometimes they're good but sometimes meeeeh..

And Kousaka Reina, best girl <3
Mar 7, 2018 6:35 AM
Aug 2015
I know this is a recap movie but:
- it's too rushed
- they cut a lot of good scenes from the beginning of the series (the interactions between the characters, Aoi's story...) but they kept all of the Kumiko x Reina stupid scenes and the audition part

Although the musical scenes were longer, I disliked this movie which focused to much on the parts I didn't enjoy in the anime. The movie just reminds me that:
- girls in this show are annoying (just want to slap them except for Asuka, Hazuki, Sapphire, Natsuki and Riko)
- poor boys they don't get much screetime (Shuuichi and Goto)
- too much drama for nothing
- Reina is one of the worst characters I have ever seen
Mar 2, 2020 11:37 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Amazing movie, albeit being a recap in its entirety.

Season 1 was my favourite of the two and this movie nailed the emotional moments, so it's a great watch from my records! Reina's proposal of "love", SunFest, the auditions, Kumiko's realization and awakening, and the brilliant performance to end it off with, what a re-journey this has been for me.

Of course it's only "very good" as far as recap movies go, that is. Certainly a lot cut out at the start and some priceless Sapphire & Asuka's antics too so that's undoubtedly my biggest let-down like many others but I kind of expected this in advance so not too bothered by it.

God, as if the Animation Quality wasn't breathtaking enough in the tv series alone! Fantastic, that's Movie Quality greatness right there! Absolutely awed by some of the incredible shots throughout the course of the movie, hats off to KyoAni!

Going to watch the 2nd recap movie (more of Natsuki-senpai I'm sure, so hyped for that) and then jump into the 3rd so there's going to be good times ahead for me, that's for sure! ;)
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 7, 2020 12:46 PM

Jul 2015
I can see from other comments that Asuka didn't had a lot of screentime but I guess she gets her spotlight in the second movie. Well I have to say nice recap of the first season to watch before the newer seasons. Even though some good scenes were cut (which is expected from a recap), still great to see some beautiful scenes here

Sep 7, 2020 5:06 PM
Jun 2017
Kitauji band's initial presentational performance, compare the Kumiko's despair with the other 3 girls' bliss, 4:47.
The irony of Kumiko shallowly avoiding her middle school bandmates by going to a new school for a "new start" but still getting roped into band -- she was in denial.
The band senpai must've been really complacent &/or discouraged by previous poor band structure to be surprised how serious Noboru Taki was. Band competitions start since elementary school in Japan so the students should already know how packed the practice schedule is to play well (same for every other competitive discipline).
Kitauji really did shock the crowd at SunFes, especially considering how inadequate they used to be.
Sep 7, 2020 5:24 PM
Jun 2017
Kirie-san said:

Very late but I wonder why you dislike Reina. & this series is full of melodrama (my qualms are with the melodrama in later iterations that too many love).
Reina seems hubristic but if she really was, she would've never made connections with Kumiko for mutual support.
Yuuko seemed annoying at 1st but she was just desperate to help Kaori. I reevaluated her after her interactions with Natsuki & seeing antagonists with similar motives in Valkyrie Mermaid Drive & AoKana.
Sep 12, 2020 5:10 AM
Aug 2015
Purpumice said:
Kirie-san said:

Very late but I wonder why you dislike Reina. & this series is full of melodrama (my qualms are with the melodrama in later iterations that too many love).
Reina seems hubristic but if she really was, she would've never made connections with Kumiko for mutual support.
Yuuko seemed annoying at 1st but she was just desperate to help Kaori. I reevaluated her after her interactions with Natsuki & seeing antagonists with similar motives in Valkyrie Mermaid Drive & AoKana.

I don't like Reina because she's the typical "girl that thinks she's mature" while she's not. I don't like the way she acts. From my point of view she haughty and arrogant. I think it's good to aim higher but she seems to look down upon others while they are teenagers. I've seen a lot of people who watch the show saying that Reina is mature, cool... She's not. If she was mature, she would have realized that having feelings for her teacher is not good and that nothing would happened. A mature person would think that Taki is an adulte, he had a wife. So unless he's a weirdo, he wouldn't be interested in her (or he was in love with her he would wait until she gets older but that's another matter). But we never saw Reina asking herself that kind of questions. She just blushes or gets angry when someone (Shuuichi for example) talk bad about Taki. And I usually don't like characters that act mature while their just childish and know nothing of the world.
Moreover, she constantly talk bad about Shuuichi (and in the third movie she even throw a bottle at him because he was with a girl and Kumiko was a bit annoyed by that). It wasn't funny at all. She acts like Shuuichi is the bad guy while Kumiko is the one who doesn't speak clearly about her feelings.

A least, Yuuko has evolved since the start. But Reina, except the fact she became friends with Kumiko, didn't evolve at all. There's nothing I like about her. ^^'
Jan 21, 2021 5:16 AM

Feb 2019
Quite good as far as recap movies go, but of course it doesn't even get close to the actual series in terms of content and depth. Things like more exposition of what actually happened with the third-years and how Kaori-senpai and the others went through so much are of course only barely covered. But quite a nice recap, overall. It was refreshing to hear the music of this series again. 7/10!
Mar 24, 2022 10:42 PM
Jun 2021
Don't watch this movie if you've already watched S1. This movie is good for those who want to recollect their memories about the story. I would suggest this movie to those who haven't watched S1 yet.
Mar 18, 11:49 PM

May 2021
I went into this movie knowing it was a recap of season 1 and wanted to get a refresher on the series before the 3rd season of Hibike! Eupho released. I was pleasantly surprised by how well made this recap was. It truly felt like a grand movie experience regardless of it being a recap. I'm very happy I watched it, and now have even more ambition to watch the second recap movie. Love this series and the emotion it can get out of me through music, super excited for season 3 in April!

More topics from this board

» Is April 23 the bd release date already?

nowa_ - Apr 14, 2016

11 by Hadal »»
Sep 17, 2016 11:41 AM

» Aproved

EvenJellyOn - Oct 31, 2015

6 by EvenJellyOn »»
Mar 30, 2016 4:53 AM

» Key visual

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2015

1 by goodshitgoOdshit »»
Dec 1, 2015 11:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.