Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 1, 2016 5:23 PM

Aug 2016
I've watched quite a few that I consider to be intellectually and artistically stimulating. Mostly, I like to think and theorize and seclude myself in the confines of my psyche when watching anime. It's always exciting to be exposed to new ideas and recently, I've fallen short on new series to embark on so I need a little help. Here are some series, I would categorize as "intellectually and artistically" stimulating, so use these as a pedestal when answering.

Serial Experiments Lain
Evangellion
Steins Gate
Madoka Magica
Paranoia Agent
Shinsekai Yori
Psycho Pass
Mononoke

Mostly though, I want something just as thrilling and thought provoking as Lain. Though, I must admit that I'm vaguely concerned there isn't anything similar.
"I saw a rabbit as swift as a knife and as pale as a candlestick. And I had thought it'd be harder to do, but I caught her and skinned her quick. Held her there, kicking and mewling, upending, unspooling, unsung and blue; told her, "wherever you go, little runaway bunny, I will find you", and then she ran as they're liable to do."
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 1, 2016 5:26 PM

Mar 2012
Hunter x Hunter is usually up there. Sometimes people rage-quit because it's too much :P

It's more like SSY out of the stuff you've listed.
End Zionazism
Sep 1, 2016 5:31 PM

Aug 2016
Mikasa said:
Hunter x Hunter is usually up there. Sometimes people rage-quit because it's too much :P

Oh my goodness, thank you. I've played around with the idea of watching it, but was initially put off by the style of animation. If it's as good as you say, I'll definitely start a download tonight.
"I saw a rabbit as swift as a knife and as pale as a candlestick. And I had thought it'd be harder to do, but I caught her and skinned her quick. Held her there, kicking and mewling, upending, unspooling, unsung and blue; told her, "wherever you go, little runaway bunny, I will find you", and then she ran as they're liable to do."
Sep 1, 2016 5:31 PM

Feb 2013
i sugest some anime that make you think about the psychology of the producer and artist, like mayoiga and pupa

otherwise you still have some psychological(tM) series..
i particularly suggest revolutionary girl utena, kino no tabi and mayb haibane renmei and animatrix

you can also give boogiepop phantom, ghost hound and un-go a try ?_? havent seen but seems nice
Sep 1, 2016 5:37 PM

Jun 2016
This is the show for geniuses. You may have trouble following the plot, it's pretty advanced.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/7791/K-On?q=K-O

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Sep 1, 2016 5:38 PM

Nov 2013
didn't think i woul see anyone ever recommending mayoiga lol

i would recommend no game no life, akuma no riddle, maybe Relife but thats kinda SoL
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Sep 1, 2016 5:38 PM

Mar 2012
impertinenthawk said:
Mikasa said:

Oh my goodness, thank you. I've played around with the idea of watching it, but was initially put off by the style of animation. If it's as good as you say, I'll definitely start a download tonight.

Yeah the animation looks shitty at first, and sadly, even when they give their best and give us that awesome Sakuga animation, it's just not as charming as those hand drawn animations from the 90s, and they look "2d" due to lack of shading and detail, but that's the curse of almost all newer animes.

The anime presents itself as a shonen at first, but reveals itself to be something much more. The 5th arc, the Chimera Ants, is to me quite reminiscent of SSY's plot, but everything before has an amazing variety of story lines, with very good threads connecting them to one another.
End Zionazism
Sep 1, 2016 5:39 PM

Mar 2010
This may sound like trolling but I honestly can't recommend Gurren Lagann enough. Behind the "mindless nonsensical turn-your-brain-off-and-enjoy-the-action" nonsense sticker that everyone slaps on this show lies a deep and amazing narrative. Yes, there are massive scale action battles that break any common sense, but if you actually use your brain you can experience a masterpiece that is not only intellectually stimulating but very rewarding.
nullSep 1, 2016 5:42 PM

Sep 1, 2016 5:41 PM

Aug 2016
Selenium_Thorium said:
This is the show for geniuses. You may have trouble following the plot, it's pretty advanced.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. What's so difficult to follow about it?
Sep 1, 2016 5:42 PM

Jun 2016
impertinenthawk said:
Selenium_Thorium said:

Yea mate, it requires an IQ of over 180 to watch

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."

Mar 2016
Bakemonogatari - Alot of dialogue with some psychological themes.

FLCL - A story about adolescence, hidden under a layer of Sci-fi mecha action.

Fate/Zero - A battle royale between 7 masters and their heroic spirits. Each with their own twisted view of the world

Aug 2016
null said:
This may sound like trolling but I honestly can't recommend Gurren Lagann more. Behind the "mindless nonsensical turn-your-brain-off-and-enjoy-the-action" nonsense sticker that everyone slaps on this show lies a deep and amazing narrative. Yes, there are massive scale action battles that break any common sense, but if you actually use your brain you can experience a masterpiece that is not only intellectually stimulating but very rewarding.

Sounds wonderful. I enjoy action enough. Less so than more psychedelic, trippy shows, but I do enjoy it. Thank you for the recommendation.
Sep 1, 2016 5:47 PM

Aug 2016
Selenium_Thorium said:
impertinenthawk said:

Brilliant, mate. I'll have to give it a fuckin' go then, eh?
Sep 1, 2016 5:48 PM

Apr 2015
Berserk. It actively questions your beliefs on free will vs. determinism, nihilism vs. existentialism, the role of religion in society, and the depravity of human nature when faced with adversity.

Also, it doesn't beat you over the head with its ideas like many of the anime that you mentioned. It explores those ideas as opposed to preaching them to the viewer. You can watch it as a simple fantasy medieval action-drama.

Either watch the 1997 anime

https://myanimelist.net/anime/33/Berserk

or read the manga

https://myanimelist.net/manga/2/Berserk
Sep 1, 2016 5:49 PM

Aug 2013
I'm sure you'll love Ghost in the Shell, the movies and the Stand Alonce Complex series. Though in my opinion the Arise ones suck.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 1, 2016 5:50 PM

Aug 2016
InducedPhobia said:
Berserk. It actively questions your beliefs on free will vs. determinism, nihilism vs. existentialism, the role of religion in society, and the depravity of human nature when faced with adversity.

Also, it doesn't beat you over the head with its ideas like many of the anime that you mentioned. It explores those ideas as opposed to preaching them to the viewer. You can watch it as a simple fantasy medieval action-drama.

Either watch the 1997 anime

https://myanimelist.net/anime/33/Berserk

or read the manga

https://myanimelist.net/manga/2/Berserk

In regards to Berserk, I've already experienced it all, my friend. The 90's anime, the manga, the first shitty episode of the remake and the movies.
Sep 1, 2016 5:51 PM

Aug 2016
FuzzyMcFluffens said:
Bakemonogatari - Alot of dialogue with some psychological themes.

FLCL - A story about adolescence, hidden under a layer of Sci-fi mecha action.

Fate/Zero - A battle royale between 7 masters and their heroic spirits. Each with their own twisted view of the world

I've already seen all three, but I salute your good taste.
Sep 1, 2016 5:53 PM

Feb 2010
Kino's Journey is a must watch then. In terms of providing new concepts it's one of the best anime out there.

I also recommend Texhnolyze. Some of the names behind Lain are also behind this. It's very much open to interpretation and has a lot of room for speculation and personal thoughts. very good show in general.

Mushishi too is very creative and provides a very unique perspective. I think you'd like it.

Ghost in the Shell is like the better, more complex, more realistic version of Psycho-Pass. I didn't like PP very much but even if you enjoy it the similarities in terms of the future setting, the police main characters, and a more or less philosophical approach on many of the topics presented warrants a comparison. In my opinion GITS does a much better job at worldbuilding and everything but you can decide for yourself which one you prefer.

Tatami Galaxy has a great concept and definitely represents a certain perspective on the world. I'll just go out on a limp and say you should watch it because almost everyone I know who values what you call 'intellectual stimulation' in anime, is a big fan of that show. It's one of my absolute favorites as well.

I'll list some more shows I think would appeal to you just based on experience/intuition. You can look them up yourself if you're interested and see if they sound like something you'd like to watch:

Kuchuu Buranko / Trapeze
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Monster
Welcome to the NHK
Aku no Hana
Wolf's Rain
Haibane Renmei
King of the Pigs (movie)
Zipang
Rahxephon (often compared to NGE)
Twelve Kingdoms
Crest of the Stars franchise
Princess Tutu
Angel's Egg (movie)
Kanashimi no Belladonna (movie)
The movies from Satoshi Kon (who directed Paranoia Agent) - Millennium Actress and Paprika in particular)
Memories
Spring and Chaos (Movie)
Terra e... (TV Series)
Gosenzosama Banbanzai
One Outs
Akagi
The House of Five Leaves
Spice and Wolf
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 1, 2016 5:58 PM

Feb 2013
impertinenthawk said:
Selenium_Thorium said:

Brilliant, mate. I'll have to give it a fuckin' go then, eh?
not k-on in particular, but understanding the raison d'etre for cute girls seinen is part of true enlightenment, and k-on is just the best example of that
Sep 1, 2016 6:00 PM

Jun 2009
Mawaru Penguindrum is also a good choice. I think the thought process and the about of symbolism and detail that went into it makes it shine.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Sep 1, 2016 6:02 PM

Mar 2010
All the mongatari series I guess
Ghost in the shell (movies)
Psycho-pass (without the second season)
Monster (I think)
Sep 1, 2016 6:07 PM

Mar 2015
Mikasa said:
impertinenthawk said:

Yeah the animation looks shitty at first, and sadly, even when they give their best and give us that awesome Sakuga animation, it's just not as charming as those hand drawn animations from the 90s, and they look "2d" due to lack of shading and detail, but that's the curse of almost all newer animes.

The anime presents itself as a shonen at first, but reveals itself to be something much more. The 5th arc, the Chimera Ants, is to me quite reminiscent of SSY's plot, but everything before has an amazing variety of story lines, with very good threads connecting them to one another.

LOLWUT.

H x H is as thought-provoking as the shows OP listed ? Is this real life ?

Something like Ergo Proxy would fit the OP's description. I know you H x H die-hard fans want to pretend it's the best thing that ever happened in the whole universe but wow, that's a new one. Just wow.

OP, Hunter x Hunter is as thought-provoking as Naruto or One Piece. Literally.

That doesn't mean it's bad, but yeah, it's NOWHERE near the kind of shows you're looking for.
RVDASep 1, 2016 6:11 PM
Je trempe mes cookies dans tes larmes.
Sep 1, 2016 6:09 PM

Nov 2013
I recommend you the first half of Uchuu Kyoudai. It's kinda SoL, but it contains a lot of human psycology. It's an anime you can easily see yourself trying to think along with the protag. And there's a lot of time where you can see how people react and act and enjoy how well fleshed out the situations are.

I found the second half lacking, out of focus, rushed and a bit predictable. But hey, you still get the first 50+ episodes which were great.
Sep 1, 2016 6:11 PM

Dec 2015
Haibane Renmei, same creators as Lain, but completely different style.
Sep 1, 2016 6:11 PM

Mar 2012
RedaJaNai said:
Mikasa said:

LOLWUT.

Something like Ergo Proxy would fit the OP's description. I know you H x H die-hard fans want to pretend it's the best thing that ever happened in the whole universe but wow, that's a new one. Just wow.

That doesn't mean isn't bad, but yeah, it's NOWHERE near the kind of shows you're looking for.

You seem a bit... insecure about it. If it was a serious question, yes, it is.
It spawned year long arguments about the motivation of characters and the philosophy behind basically everything.
End Zionazism
Sep 1, 2016 6:12 PM

Aug 2016
RedaJaNai said:
Mikasa said:

LOLWUT.

That doesn't mean isn't bad, but yeah, it's NOWHERE near the kind of shows you're looking for.

Seems like you kinda hit it on the head here. Yeah. I hesitated because of the animation and because I heard it was about as equivalent as Naruto, but the score on this website's list would suggest otherwise? Just searched Ego Proxy and it definitely is geared more towards what I'm looking for. Put it on my list of series to watch, so thank you.
Sep 1, 2016 6:15 PM

Jul 2015
Death Parade is philosophically thought provocing at a very basic level.

Ghost in the Shell and Kara no Kyoukai are two more conceptually complex film series.

Then stuff like Hyouka and Garden of Words will give nice perspectives on life.
Sep 1, 2016 6:15 PM

Mar 2015
Mikasa said:
RedaJaNai said:

LOLWUT.

You seem a bit... insecure about it. If it was a serious question, yes, it is.
It spawned year long arguments about the motivation of characters and the philosophy behind basically everything.

Alright I'll go ahead and actually discuss with a H x H die-hard fan.

I don't see how my post sounded 'insecure' but alrighttt....

People arguing about a specific show doesn't mean it's thought-provoking. Whether you want it or not H x H is more similar to shows like One Piece and Naruto. It's not the 'unconventional, codes-breaker' shonen that H x H fans make it out to be. Have a close look again at the shows OP listed. Go ahead and do it.

Anyone with more than a few brain cells would tell the OP to check out Ergo Proxy, or Mushishi, or maybe even Monster. Not Hunter x Hunter of all shows......................
Sep 1, 2016 6:21 PM

Oct 2010
Well, Azumanga Daioh is very intellectually stimulating. It has puns and wordplays... and a tongue twister... and in one episode they must find a key... okay I'm leaving.

@Pullman already mentioned almost anything I could ever consider for this thread, but well, some more Yuasa with Mind Game and Kaiba is always fine.

Some Ghiblies may fit this as well, Spirited away in special from Miyazaki as it offers an intricate fantasy with multiple layers to interpret. Takahata in general is a good choice for this due to his plots dealing with aspects of daily life.

Also, I remember A wind named Amnesia being something like this. If not intellectually, quite emotionally stimulating in ways that at the very least were unique.
Sep 1, 2016 6:22 PM

Mar 2015
impertinenthawk said:
RedaJaNai said:

LOLWUT.

Seems like you kinda hit it on the head here. Yeah. I hesitated because of the animation and because I heard it was about as equivalent as Naruto, but the score on this website's list would suggest otherwise? Just searched Ego Proxy and it definitely is geared more towards what I'm looking for. Put it on my list of series to watch, so thank you.

You're welcome but hey Hunter x Hunter is a fantastic show too ! It has flaws like every other shows but it's filled with epic moments. It just doesn't fit what you're looking for. At all.

As for its score... welllll lol see an overwhelming majority of the Hunter x Hunter hardcore fanbase truly, legitimately, honestly belive it's LITERALLY the best thing ever and that is has zero flaws. So they hype up the show. Again it's overall great but at the opposite of what you're looking for ^^
Sep 1, 2016 6:24 PM

Aug 2016
jal90 said:
Well, Azumanga Daioh is very intellectually stimulating. It has puns and wordplays... and a tongue twister... and in one episode they must find a key... okay I'm leaving.

@Pullman already mentioned almost anything I could ever consider for this thread, but well, some more Yuasa with Mind Game and Kaiba is always fine.

Some Ghiblies may fit this as well, Spirited away in special from Miyazaki as it offers an intricate fantasy with multiple layers to interpret. Takahata in general is a good choice for this due to his plots dealing with aspects of daily life.

Also, I remember A wind named Amnesia being something like this. If not intellectually, quite emotionally stimulating in ways that at the very least were unique.

Azumanga Daioh is one of my favorite comedies, but I've watched it over at least three times. And also, I've seen every Ghibli film there is.
Sep 1, 2016 6:25 PM

Nov 2013
oh shit, if you want to be genius, try to solve some mathematics problem, and stop watching anime.
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Sep 1, 2016 6:26 PM

Aug 2016
RedaJaNai said:
impertinenthawk said:

You're welcome but hey Hunter x Hunter is a fantastic show too ! It has flaws like every other shows but it's filled with epic moments. It just doesn't fit what you're looking for. At all.

As for its score... welllll lol see an overwhelming majority of the Hunter x Hunter hardcore fanbase truly, legitimately, honestly belive it's LITERALLY the best thing ever and that is has zero flaws. So they hype up the show. Again it's overall great but at the opposite of what you're looking for ^^

Yeah, I don't know if it's exactly what I'm looking for. I was just so wowed by Lain's concepts and animation style... I'd like to experience something like it again. Same with Shinsekai Yori, but since that's an adaptation from a pretty lengthy novel, I doubt there's much similar.
Sep 1, 2016 6:31 PM

Mar 2012
impertinenthawk said:
RedaJaNai said:

LOLWUT.

Yes, HxH's highscore is due to its intellectual value. Like SSY it's about existential problems, morality, and the whole "us vs them" issue with the Queerats, if you've seen that yet. Ergo Proxy is, from what I've seen, less in-depth and more about simply asking questions.
End Zionazism
Sep 1, 2016 6:33 PM

Nov 2014
Pullman said:

Spice and Wolf

Sadly, many didn't get the economics behind it. :(

C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control
It presents an interesting concept and philosophy about todays working economy, stock markets, liquidity, assets, liabilities and so forth.
Look it as a complementary show to Spice and Wolf, where one is using economic model based on the medieval era and the other is using modern economic model.
Sep 1, 2016 6:36 PM

Mar 2015
@impertinenthawk Another show you might want to check out (I can't believe I forgot to mention that one) is Subete ga F ni Naru.

On the surface it's a 'whodunit' show but it's actually way more than that. The 3 main protagonists are very smart (one of them is a genius actually) and the show often presents thought-provoking (some people called it 'pretentious', but I wouldn't agree) dialogues.

As far as whodunit shows go, I'd compare it to the TV series True Detective (idk if you seen that one). What I mean is that albeit a detective show it's not Columbo or CSI lol

The show mostly touches on existentialism and nihilism, and it's definitely one of the most thought-provokign shows I've watched. I'd recommend it.
Sep 1, 2016 6:39 PM
Mar 2016
Laughing at some of these recommendations. I'm not trying to disrespect any of these shows, but they are not what you're looking for. K-On is a series about high school girls doing things that are cute. It might be a clever show, with a little more depth than initially visible, but it is not an intellectual anime. HunterXHunter is great, but it's Shounen. It's by the creator of Yu Yu Hakusho. Sure, it's smart and enjoyable, but it's a battle manga/anime.

I agree with Tatami Galaxy for being rather abstract, artistic, and intellectually stimulating. I agree with Monster because it's a really smart drama series, but it's not abstract or experimental. Ghost in the Shell (the film) is sci-fi, intellectual and fairly artsy. The show is less experimental, but it's still fairly smart, and deals with some interesting topics about AI and the blurred lines with humanity.

And finally, if you liked Paranoia Agent, watch Satoshi Kon's entire filmography. Some are more "trippy" than others, but they're all very well made. I think Perfect Blue is the one most similar to your list. Hope this helps.
Sep 1, 2016 6:40 PM

Feb 2010
jal90 said:

Yeah I wanted to include Mind Game and more Yuasa stuff but then forgot about it. Shame on me. I do second it and the Amnesia movie too. And Azumanga of course.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 1, 2016 6:40 PM

Mar 2015
Mikasa said:
impertinenthawk said:

Yes, HxH's highscore is due to its intellectual value. Like SSY it's about existential problems, morality, and the whole "us vs them" issue with the Queerats, if you've seen that yet. Ergo Proxy is, from what I've seen, less in-depth and more about simply asking questions.

looooool if I hadn't had the displeasure of arguing before with some members of the hardcore H x H fanbase I'd think you're shitposting. Actually, you'd look better if you were shitposting.

Again, H x H is as thought-provoking as Naruto. Case in point? All the things you mentioned I've seen them tackled in a relatively similar way in Naruto.

So, Ergo Proxy is less 'in-depth' that Hunter X freaking Hunter, huh? LOL

One line of dialogue from Ergo Proxy would probably make Togashi's head explode.
Sep 1, 2016 6:43 PM

Nov 2013
@impertinenthawk just watch until yorknew city arc, and then you can justify if it's equivalent or not with naruto. HxH like to hide things, including its potential. Shinsekai Yori is closest anime to HxH in terms of morally questionable characters. There is no predetermined value of right and wrong in both of them.
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Sep 1, 2016 6:44 PM

Mar 2012
Look I get that you spend most of your forum time hating on the show, but you need to get over it.

The show deals exclusively with the aforementioned issues, and that's why certain publishers had to bump up the rating from PG-13 of WSJ to an R17. But that's just an indicator, not an argument in itself. Though I'm sure you know where you can find plenty of that.
End Zionazism
Sep 1, 2016 6:45 PM

Oct 2014
It has been scientifically proven that exposure to Legend of the Galactic Heroes improves your SAT scores.

On topic: Utena is what I've seen that I consider most artistic so far, due to various layers: surface (wacky nonsense and formulaic battles), blatant symbolism (adolescence, sex and gender roles part 1), underlying symbolism (gender roles part 2, feminism) and meta (framing almost like theater, shadow plays, playing with fairy tales). It hit all the right notes for social and meta themes which I appreciated.
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Sep 1, 2016 6:46 PM

Jun 2015
Ergo Proxy is definitely what you're looking for. I'm honestly surprised it doesn't have more mentions here.

Also, +1 Kino's Journey and Ghost in the Shell.
Sep 1, 2016 6:47 PM

Dec 2013
No mention of Revolutionary Girl Utena? Plenty of meat in that series by anime standards.

Edit: Toa's reference, nevermind.
Sep 1, 2016 6:50 PM

Aug 2016
Pef
terrorsaurusRex said:
Laughing at some of these recommendations. I'm not trying to disrespect any of these shows, but they are not what you're looking for. K-On is a series about high school girls doing things that are cute. It might be a clever show, with a little more depth than initially visible, but it is not an intellectual anime. HunterXHunter is great, but it's Shounen. It's by the creator of Yu Yu Hakusho. Sure, it's smart and enjoyable, but it's a battle manga/anime.

I agree with Tatami Galaxy for being rather abstract, artistic, and intellectually stimulating. I agree with Monster because it's a really smart drama series, but it's not abstract or experimental. Ghost in the Shell (the film) is sci-fi, intellectual and fairly artsy. The show is less experimental, but it's still fairly smart, and deals with some interesting topics about AI and the blurred lines with humanity.

And finally, if you liked Paranoia Agent, watch Satoshi Kon's entire filmography. Some are more "trippy" than others, but they're all very well made. I think Perfect Blue is the one most similar to your list. Hope this helps.

Perfect Blue is stunning and I'll have to dig into the fimography a bit more. Honestly, the work reminds me of David Lynch's, which tickles my fancy, so. And I've already seen Monster and Ghost in the Shell. (Still working on updating my list.)
Sep 1, 2016 6:52 PM

Aug 2016
Toa_of_Gallifrey said:
It has been scientifically proven that exposure to Legend of the Galactic Heroes improves your SAT scores.

On topic: Utena is what I've seen that I consider most artistic so far, due to various layers: surface (wacky nonsense and formulaic battles), blatant symbolism (adolescence, sex and gender roles part 1), underlying symbolism (gender roles part 2, feminism) and meta (framing almost like theater, shadow plays, playing with fairy tales). It hit all the right notes for social and meta themes which I appreciated.

Just added the Galactic Hero's suggestion to my list. I'm very, very excited to watch.
Sep 1, 2016 6:57 PM

Mar 2016
Some title i would suggest to you have been mentioned. . .

I would suggest yo to watch some dementia such as Inaka Isha (it's just a short anime -around 6 minutes). . . I would also recommend texhnolyze, it's not really intelligent i would say, it's more thrilling, but it has many similarities as lain, minimalistic dialogue or monologue, dark atmosphere, slow pacing, . . .
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Sep 1, 2016 7:02 PM

Mar 2015
ouriel said:
Pullman said:

Spice and Wolf

Sadly, many didn't get the economics behind it. :(

C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control
It presents an interesting concept and philosophy about todays working economy, stock markets, liquidity, assets, liabilities and so forth.
Look it as a complementary show to Spice and Wolf, where one is using economic model based on the medieval era and the other is using modern economic model.

As a former Economics student, this is relevant to my interests.
Sep 1, 2016 7:14 PM

Nov 2013
Saying that Hunter x Hunter is just a shounen is the same as saying that Madoka Magica is just Magical Girl anime. Both are deconstructing their own genre.
Sep 1, 2016 7:15 PM

Mar 2012
KyouKaiTen said:
Saying that Hunter x Hunter is just a shounen is the same as saying that Madoka Magica is just Magical Girl anime. Both are deconstructing their own genre.

HxH doesn't deconstruct shonen, but rather neo-constructs a whole other genre.
End Zionazism
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - 7 hours ago

3 by vasipi4946 »»
1 minute ago

» Looking for Solo Leveling kind of anime

RiasuSama - Apr 16

9 by AnimeDownUnder »»
3 hours ago

» Anime male character not abused by female characters

EleganteX - Aug 15, 2015

22 by thorin001 »»
4 hours ago

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

6 by thorin001 »»
4 hours ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

19 by WillGuabs »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.