Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Nov 14, 2015 12:06 AM

May 2015
So not particularly a fan of Renji x Chihiro story line. Also Kei, Chihiro and Hiro never were in one scene together in present time. That bothed me. That relationship also could've used more backstory; Slow moving story that had melodramatic moments. I really did enjoy Hiro's arc though. 6/10
Dec 23, 2015 2:24 PM
Nov 2014
UWOTM8 ? A good ending ? Haha, I wasn't expecting that. This series managed to stay just about right imo, the beginning was a chore though.
Nov 9, 2016 3:12 PM

Mar 2015
So the moral of the story is, no matter how big you fuck up, someone will always fix it right, even if it means coughing up blood. As long as you're a girl, of course.

Unfortunately, this series repeats the cliches so prevalent in the genre. The guy is a white knight, who's duty is to save the relationship if anything goes wrong, no matter whose fault it is; the girl is a princess, who can demand anything of her knight. In every single story-line, the girl made a great effort to sever ties with the guy completely, not even considering his feelings; naturally, Chihiro went to the greatest extents here and chose the easiest way out (considering that she knew the break-up would only be painful for Renji). It was impossible for me to enjoy such a stereotyped finale. A shame, because the part of the show before the climax was amazing, so I really wanted to give it a high score.
Nov 13, 2016 3:59 AM

Mar 2015
Renji x Chihiro, okay.
Hiro x Miyako, good.
Kyousuke x Kei, what? How come? Kei is so obsessed with Hiro and how come she ended up with Kyousuke? Isnt it kind of forced pairing? There is no way Kei will fall to another man so easily.

Ending was okay. There will be a encounter between couples on sequel, I think.

3.2/5

Overall: 6/10

BUT.....

Thanks to someone noticed this word play "euphoric field", can be found at each episode title which is taken from first letter of the word and connect each letter to form the word "euphoric field". That was awesome and well thought. ef also meant euphoric field too.

So....

Overall: 7/10
Raijin-sama619Nov 13, 2016 4:06 AM
Nov 22, 2016 9:43 AM

Dec 2014
Ending kinda ruined it for me. Too many things are left unexplained. So can Chihiro remember things now? Or does she just remember her time with Renji? Does she still only have the 13 hour cycle?

Also I'm really surprised how how Kei was so okay with Hiro and Miyako being together. Hiro literally confessed to both of them that he loved them in the same episode. That makes no sense. Also Kyousuke's backstory didn't get explained very well.
Nov 26, 2016 8:08 PM

Jul 2014
totally meh to boring, had to use wikipedia to follow what was going on the whole time. Ending pairs made no sense.

5/10.
Dec 12, 2016 2:15 PM

Aug 2008
Melodramatic and absurd, the final episode felt like a copout. Sudden curing of Chihiro? Kei being tossed to the side? Pffft. Don't know if I can end this with a positive rating, bottom really fell out of it.
Jan 3, 2017 5:51 AM

Nov 2016
I'm broken. Dead inside. This was just absolutely beautiful. A masterpiece.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 4, 2017 8:28 PM

Dec 2014
This continues the trend of everything that I start on my birthday I don't like in the end. I've had this on my ptw for a while and have only heard good things about. Since I finished Toradora and didn't like that at all I was hoping to follow it up with a romance I'd enjoy but this was just as bad as Toradora.

Some of things that I didn't like about this were.
The Characters: they were very boring and none of them were unique in anyway that I haven't seen before.
Quality: why was it so dodgy? Close up on faces were fine but when they were drawn 5+ ft away everything just looked like shit. In episode 2 or 3 there was a conversation were it was just 2+ minutes of a still frame with the clouds moving lol.
Story: was I really suppose to give a shit about anything that happened? None of it was sad or happy because I hated all the characters.

The only thing I liked about this was how funny some of the juicy drama bits were, and they were JUICY! Like when Kei came in on them together or when she deleted all the voice messages. JUICY! But I didn't care in an emotional way, more like a reality TV way were these bitches are all conniving and I just want to watch New York and Pumpkin go at each other.

4/10
Aug 27, 2017 6:37 AM

Oct 2015
even if people had had mixed reactions to this anime they have to admit it was well made. It was touching for me than clannad after story, in fact it is way out of its league. The between Renji and Chihiro touched me to the and I felt her pain. I am glad she got over that 13hour memory loss curse. I would recommend it as a must watch.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 9, 2017 4:14 AM

Jul 2008
And she gets her memories back because she has to.

Of course it could not have a bad end, what did you think this was, School Days?
Sep 19, 2018 11:53 AM

Feb 2018
lihle808 said:
even if people had had mixed reactions to this anime they have to admit it was well made. It was touching for me than clannad after story, in fact it is way out of its league. The between Renji and Chihiro touched me to the and I felt her pain. I am glad she got over that 13hour memory loss curse. I would recommend it as a must watch.

I completely agree, it is so much better than clannad, they are even not comparable.

I really enjoyed it overall, first anime from Shaft that i actually liked, well done!
Loved the way it was directed, and the story was touching.
Feb 5, 2019 7:23 AM

Aug 2018
I don't agree with a lot in this anime.. But it also delivered feels, made sense in many moments, made me think.. Overall, I like it better than usual works.. But don't agree with some things as well.. In the end, I guess, I'm still glad I watched it..
Mar 17, 2019 12:12 PM

May 2016
When Renji searched for the pages it really hurt me emotionally over her and when I saw him in his torn clothe my tears couldn't hold up anymore...

I'm so glad it was a good ending after all, everyone seemed happy even Himura san with the mysterious soul Yuko.

really great series looking forward to next season. 8/10
Jul 9, 2019 9:48 AM

Jan 2016
Wow, that OP had me shook with it's changes, and so did the episode. I love how everything was resolved and at the same time everything is back to square one (Renji's novel's first sentences, for example, were in Episode 1).

A good, maybe great 9/10. A few personal irks here and there, such as the blonde guy's lesser development, the chances of a paper plane flying for 13 hours, and the use of sex, but it still holds up to a 9/10 for me.
Nov 3, 2019 11:23 AM

May 2019
To make it clear: Chihiro is not cured

What happened was, from the previous night when she wrote the note to forget him, she just was not able to stop of thinking about him.

- She wrote the note like midnght.
- Went to sleep thinking on him and what they did.
- Wake up in the morning still remembering him and what they did.
- Forgot everything about the previous events except Renji and what they did yesterday.

Because the moment you rescue some memory from your mind and reflect about it, it become "updated" like an actual memory.

Was just that what happened. She is still losing the memories that are not "rescued" in 13 hours.
Nov 3, 2019 11:47 AM

May 2019
Second necessary elucidation:

Chihiro-Renji-Himura are, at the same time, living in a different place from Hiro-Ken-Miyuki.

That is why they are never show togheter.

It is futher explained in the sequel, IF a tale of melodies.

But it is a fact you can catch without even to appeal to the sequel: just pay attention in the climate - in the 1st episode, on christmas, why the weather in that train station where Chihiro/Renji are look so warm?
Jan 5, 2020 5:33 PM

Sep 2017
This was kinda weird because it was basically two completely distinct stories (okay they were marginally related) told in the same anime. I thought the Chihiro story was much more compelling, but shaft did a lot to elevate the simple love triangle story.

The ending was kinda cheesy and I was thinking to myself how could they possibly end this with Chihiro actually remembered Renji. When he started running around collecting pages I irked because that's just too unrealistic. There's no way something like that would work. I'm quite happy it ending up being much more simple. She simply could not force herself to not think of Renji for over 13 hours so she never forgot about him. I like it.

There are things I could complain about in this series like the occasional sketchy pacing or "over dramatic" characters, but strangely I don't find myself too bothered. I think I find myself sympathizing with these characters to the point where I feel their reactions are justified. This hit on enough of my real life experiences I suppose.
Mar 28, 2020 4:14 AM

Aug 2017
Nice show. So Chihiro couldn't forget getting railed on the rooftop.

Miyako best character. She has emotional baggage but she's a winner and the best looking. Actually that blonde girl was better looking, too bad she was a "bro" character.
Oct 15, 2020 6:18 AM

Aug 2020
Man, that las
Raizel said:
When Renji searched for the pages it really hurt me emotionally over her and when I saw him in his torn clothe my tears couldn't hold up anymore...

I'm so glad it was a good ending after all, everyone seemed happy even Himura san with the mysterious soul Yuko.

really great series looking forward to next season. 8/10

I thought I was the only one who cried on that scene lol. My god, I told myself not to cry and my tears came crashing like a waterfall.
Oct 15, 2020 6:41 AM

Aug 2020
This episode though was amazing. Renji x Chihiro last moment on screen where Renji desperately tried to collect all the missing pages that used to be on Chihro's diary made be bawl. He didn't want to give up his love for Chihiro and so did Chihiro. Overall, I thought the Renji x Chihiro storyline did better than Hirano x Miyako's. Because despite Renji being told to give up his feelings because it will only give him suffering, he endures it all the way through despite the consequences. It just goes to show that love is prevailing which makes Renji a really good MC. It really makes you feel all the pain he goes through which ended up me crying at the end.

Overall, I loved Renji x Chihiro's storyline though it has a sad ending. I really didn't really care about Hirano x Miyako's storyline, I thought it was generic. Confused about Kei x Tsutsumi since there is no chemistry at all between them. Also anime did not explain who the hell the 'ghost priestess' was who appeared to the MCs throughout the anime. And the priest as well. Can't say too much about the music since it's just mostly piano. Art however was amazing though. Reminded me of Bakemonogatari and Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. It was really unique. I was originally going to give this anime a 5/10 because of the boring first half. But since it made my eyes bawl out towards the end, I'd give it a 6/10. It was a decent anime.

Also to note that, I was originally was voting for Kei at the start since childhood friends never win. But later on it showed that Kei's love for Hirano was selfish because Kei was forcing Hirano to go to school when in reality, she never really considered Hirano's dream which was to become a shoujo manga artist. Second was Kei taking away Hirano from Chihiro caused her sister's accident which made her sister lose her memories. And lastly, she deleted all of Hirano's chat log to keep Miyako away from Hirano. Man, the curse of the childhood friend sucks.

_Michaelangelo_Oct 15, 2020 6:51 AM
Dec 15, 2020 2:18 PM

Aug 2018
That was a pretty satisfying ending so I wonder what a tale of melodies would be about.
_______I like rocks__
Dec 22, 2020 12:50 AM

Feb 2020
SHE DIDN'T FORGET HIM ! SHE DIDN'T FORGET HIIIIIM !!!!! I'm so glad. I wanted for my children to be happy. At first I was afraid to see their conclusion since I saw peoole being unsatisfied but for me it was the best way to end it, and it made perfect sense.
I loved this arc. It was such a beautiful one for so many reasons, and it felt so genuine, I wouldn't have mind for the entire show to be simply about them, even if I understand why the other arc was necessary.
But as I said before, I'm really not as fond of the other one (aside of course from Miyako's scene in episode 7 that was truly amazing). It is surprising that it received so little screentime considering how Hirono and Miyako are apparently supposed to be the main characters, and said lack of screentime prevented me from feeling truly invested in their relationship. I didn't get to see it being built, the show told me they are in love but why are they in love ? They barely know each other.
And really, while I want to have faith in Miyako, I just don't manage to. If she doesn't get therapy I don't see how this situation can work on the long term.
As for Kei, well I am happy for her to be able to move on, but I don't have much feelings for her character, probably because I'm not fond of characters like her to start with.
But well, this arc wasn't bad at all, it just needed more development.

I give this show a 8/10, it's not a score I give that easily and I'm not sure it truly deserves it but the entire Chihiro's/Renji's arc is such a beautiful one, I don't want to be harsh. This is the kind of show that will remain important to me.
FafetteDec 22, 2020 1:00 AM
May 6, 2021 11:43 AM

Nov 2018
It was extremely generic , Shaft's style didn't make it much better.
I already forgot what all of this was about.
I hate everyone equally
Sep 5, 2022 5:36 AM

May 2018
I really like the ending! Everyone must be boning each other every day by now lol

8/10
Sep 17, 2022 9:18 AM

Jan 2013
Renji's never going to finish that book if he proceeds to write the memories they make together but a very nice touch at the end.

Honestly this show is a lot better than I first gave it credit for watching the first 2 episodes.
The drama was absolutely great and the story never got boring, directing (especially episode 7) was very good, all of this in a romantic drama.
Not to mention the fact that this was only 12 episodes, impressive for sure.

9/10
Nov 21, 2022 7:33 PM

Jul 2022
Look, crying so that later these tears dissipate quickly bothers me a bit, but I still liked the ending.

Obviously I have the doubt if Chihiro will finally remember Renji forever, since we saw the scene where Chihiro's chains broke, but hey, it will be shown in the next season. xd
Feb 23, 2023 6:44 PM

Jan 2010
I began ef: A Tale of Memories in 2021, and it's taken me two winters to finally finish. ef is a difficult anime to watch, as it's harrowingly dramatic, featuring characters with emotional trauma festering to the point of critical mass. They'll constantly hurt each other and themselves in trying to relieve their stress and pain, of which is often brought upon by their memories, or lack thereof. Everyone wants something out of their lives, and their answer typically involves another person filling the hole in their hearts. However, without an understanding of what they wants others to do for them, or what they themselves even want for their own futures, they keep struggling to prolong committing to any life-changing and permanent decisions. They want relationships, but they fear being hurt, so they'd rather have arm's length connections than risk getting too deep. The more they care about someone, the more they'd feel pain if they somehow broke up. So, as a result, they'd treat each other halfheartedly, constantly hurting each other and themselves through their indecision, as at least it wouldn't bring about any particular decisive endings. It would just be an ongoing sense of timelessness, regardless of how miserable they'd be in that spiral of false pretenses.

I cant' say I enjoyed watching ef as a viewer, but I definitely appreciate how it visually expressed its approach to deteriorating love and affection. Every time I try watching ef, I'd feel like stopping due to how heavy each episode felt. It's one of the better dramatic romance anime I've seen, but in that regard, goodness gracious is it hard to watch. Great stuff, but by the looks of it, I won't be able to stomach A Tale of Melodies until next year.
Feb 25, 2023 7:26 PM

Aug 2014
For EF Memories, I was mostly bored with this anime.   But this anime does get points for its atmosphere, mainly thanks to SHAFT doing their thing.  You can really tell that SHAFT made it possible to give it an "artistic" feel to this anime. 

With that said, the mundane scenes started as entertaining, but then they got boring real quick.  Thats the problem ive always had with animes that get adapted from Visual Novels. 

As we all know, there are two stories in this anime. 

1- Regarding the romance between the memory girl and the male MC that likes her = I was mostly bored with the scenes between the memory girl and him.  Too "innocent" for my taste (even with them doing it on the roof). It also came off as a bit over-dramatic many times.   But when it got serious, it had some entertainment, even with it being over-dramatic. 

2- Regarding the love triangle between the Mangaka male MC, basketball girl, and the energetic girl = The energetic girl was mostly boring as well.  The male MC who does manga is fine to follow around.  The basketball girl was an entertaining character mainly since she wasnt bland or boring and she made things happen to create drama and make the anime entertaining. 

This anime gets points when it came to the love triangle between the Manga MC, the basketball girl, and the energetic girl, mainly because the basketball girl made things SPICY with her creating drama. This love triangle was SPICY, especially the memorable spicy scenes with the phone messages and deletion, and the "shower" scene.

But oh gosh, it was so annoying everytime the basketball girl would call the Mangaka guy "Onii-Chan"

Overall, a unique anime that had potential to be a masterpiece if it wasnt so overdramatic at times or mundane boring at other times.  
oooo3333Mar 1, 2023 12:56 AM
May 5, 2023 9:01 PM

Jul 2016
Kinda satisfying how each of the main girls found someone by the end. A feel-good conlusion overall (especially for Chihiro and Renji).

Guess I'll check out Melodies to find out what's up with that nun lady.
Aug 19, 2023 8:29 PM
Dec 2022
worst anime i've ever fucking watched LMAO
lets all love lain.
Sep 13, 2023 2:18 PM

Dec 2009
Notes from 2010:

Nov 10, 2023 1:59 AM
Dec 2018
So does Chihiro regain her ability to remember? Bit confused.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - Nov 21, 2007

279 by mattchoo »»
Feb 3, 4:46 PM

» Popularity of this show?? For people who watched when it came out

kcvthewrld - Sep 8, 2023

6 by flomu »»
Nov 27, 2023 12:52 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

dancu - Dec 12, 2007

196 by AaronPvP »»
Aug 19, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

radiantfire - Dec 17, 2007

195 by FarCritical »»
May 5, 2023 8:08 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Dec 4, 2007

185 by FarCritical »»
May 5, 2023 8:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.