Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 13, 2014 10:59 PM

Feb 2012
Have you ever thought that others are able to think in different languages? (Well people who can speak more than 1 language)
Chill_Feb 13, 2014 11:03 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 13, 2014 11:18 PM

Jan 2014
I'd assume so, since they know the language.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svpejQ1I7Z0
^^^This is all of you people t(^-^t)
Feb 13, 2014 11:22 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I tend to think more in English than my own native language when I'm home alone tbh
Feb 13, 2014 11:27 PM

Aug 2012
I thought anthropology has told us this is true. Different languages create widely different thought patterns. Among other things.

And then I remember people don't take anthropology.

My university general education classes weren't for naught!
Feb 13, 2014 11:42 PM

Feb 2012
MellowJello said:
I thought anthropology has told us this is true. Different languages create widely different thought patterns. Among other things.

And then I remember people don't take anthropology.

My university general education classes weren't for naught!

What do you study in university?
Feb 13, 2014 11:44 PM

Jan 2014
I always wondered something about those who speak different languages:

How do they comprehend what they are saying? In their native language? Or by the actual meaning of the phrase?

Deep shit man.
"Kyousuke backed away wordlessly. Then the Bob Sapp-lookalike, christened Bob henceforth, apparently trying to close the distance between her and Kyousuke, moved her stout, elephant-like leg."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a dick.
Feb 13, 2014 11:46 PM

Dec 2011
HaXXspetten said:
I tend to think more in English than my own native language when I'm home alone tbh
Pretty much this. Also, I think a lot in Japanese too.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 13, 2014 11:47 PM

Sep 2013
My native language is English, and I am not fluent in any other. However, I have studied French, and I know it well enough to watch anime with French subtitles. At some point while studying French, I began to think in French on occasion. It is not radically different from English, but it is different enough that it affects my thought patterns.

The basic structure of a language and the precision of its vocabulary can certainly affect the way we think. Anyone who spends enough time studying a second language becomes acutely aware of this.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Feb 13, 2014 11:50 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
_Snow said:

How do they comprehend what they are saying? In their native language? Or by the actual meaning of the phrase?

Deep shit man.
If you understand both languages fluently then it doesn't really matter which way you do it

Which language you actually learned first doesn't decide which one you use to 'comprehend' what you hear/read

If someone talks to me in Swedish, I'll 'comprehend' it in Swedish
If someone talks to me in English, I'll 'comprehend' it in English
There's no need for any translation process in my head in between, either works just fine whereas some of the languages I only know somewhat (Spanish, German, Japanese etc) it is more likely that I will first translate it to one of the two languages I know by heart and then comprehend it from there. That is what really decides when you can honestly say you *know* a language; when that extra step can be skipped at all times.
Feb 13, 2014 11:54 PM

Sep 2013
My native language is German and I'm mostly thinking in English and then wonder how to express things in German when I have to communicate it. Sometimes I'm also thinking in Japanese, but since I'm not fluent, that's usually for topics related to manga or anime.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Feb 13, 2014 11:55 PM

Jul 2013
My native language would be Dutch. Other then that I can also speak German and English. Of course I'm trying to get better at Japanese, but that's not going all too well. Who knew that time was necessary to learn a language? O_o

I too tend to think a lot in english rather than my native language but it isn't different enough to the point of affecting my thought patterns. At least not to my own realisation.
Trying to think in japanese however clearly is very different
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Feb 13, 2014 11:59 PM

Jan 2014
HaXXspetten said:
_Snow said:

Deep shit man.
If you understand both languages fluently then it doesn't really matter which way you do it

Which language you actually learned first doesn't decide which one you use to 'comprehend' what you hear/read

If someone talks to me in Swedish, I'll 'comprehend' it in Swedish
If someone talks to me in English, I'll 'comprehend' it in English
There's no need for any translation process in my head in between, either works just fine whereas some of the languages I only know somewhat (Spanish, German, Japanese etc) it is more likely that I will first translate it to one of the two languages I know by heart and then comprehend it from there. That is what really decides when you can honestly say you *know* a language; when that extra step can be skipped at all times.

Ah. Languages are difficult.
"Kyousuke backed away wordlessly. Then the Bob Sapp-lookalike, christened Bob henceforth, apparently trying to close the distance between her and Kyousuke, moved her stout, elephant-like leg."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a dick.
Feb 14, 2014 12:14 AM

Mar 2013
xJapaliicious said:
HaXXspetten said:

That makes three of us, excluding the Japanese language part.
Feb 14, 2014 12:25 AM

Mar 2008
Subpyro said:
xJapaliicious said:
HaXXspetten said:

4, again excluding the Japanese part:p
Feb 14, 2014 12:26 AM
Dec 2011
I always think in English so i can advance it.
Feb 14, 2014 12:31 AM

Nov 2013
HaXXspetten said:

My first language is French, but virtually all of what goes in my head is in English... I actually find it easier to daydream (or dream period) in English... Which is strange.
/人 ‿‿ 人\
Feb 14, 2014 12:35 AM

Apr 2011
precious said:
Subpyro said:
xJapaliicious said:
HaXXspetten said:

Make it 5 :) The thing is, my english isn't really good and I think that hinders my thinking process. So I'm actually trying to break the habit of thinking in English when I'm thinking to myself.

Also no thinking in japanese for me neither.

Edit: 6?
Feb 14, 2014 12:40 AM

Nov 2013
Yeap, that makes 6, LOL
/人 ‿‿ 人\
Feb 14, 2014 12:50 AM

Aug 2008
Ja. Manchmal, kann ich auf Deutsch denken.

:p

Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Feb 14, 2014 12:58 AM

Sep 2013
Depending on how difficult the grammar and whatnot of a language is like, you probably could, but it'd definitely be easier to think in your native tongue.

That being said, I cannot accurately have thoughts in french, but can have simple tidbits in Japanese and hopefully German when this year of school is over so I can study it for the rest of the remaining years.
peeyaj said:
Fueille is a deconstruction of a decent human being.
Feb 14, 2014 1:34 AM

Aug 2008
おっぱい!!
おっぱい!!
おっぱい!!
おっぱい!!
おっぱい!!
おっぱい!!
おっぱい!!
おっぱい!!
おっぱい!!
おっぱい!!
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Feb 14, 2014 1:51 AM

Aug 2012
I know 4 languages and as far as I'm consciously aware of it, I think in those 4 languages. It depends on the situation on what language I use though.

In cases that I swear, I think in English.
When analyzing a mystery or a problem, most of the time in Filipino which is my native language.
When I'm flustered or excited, I think in Spanish.
And when it comes to anime/manga, of course Japanese.
Feb 14, 2014 2:10 AM

Jan 2014
Well, most of the time I find myself speaking in English, subconsciously without thinking about it, until reading this thread. At home, or with other Filipino friends, I barely think in Filipino, even though I'm fluent at it.
Feb 14, 2014 3:06 AM
Feb 2013
Noldorin said:
precious said:
Subpyro said:
xJapaliicious said:
HaXXspetten said:

Make it 5 :) The thing is, my english isn't really good and I think that hinders my thinking process. So I'm actually trying to break the habit of thinking in English when I'm thinking to myself.

Also no thinking in japanese for me neither.

Edit: 6?
WillyL said:
Yeap, that makes 6, LOL

Please, make it seven. Me too mate, me too
Feb 14, 2014 3:54 AM

Feb 2012
I speak Russian and English, but English is my first language so I think in English unless I'm talking to someone who speaks Russian.

Feb 14, 2014 5:01 AM

Aug 2013
My native language is Greek.
Most of the time I think in English, I guess it's because I generally use English more than Greek in my life
Feb 14, 2014 5:17 AM

Jun 2012
depends on mood yeah sometimes think in spanish and japanese

holy shoot a lot of people here speak a lot of languages
so jelly

also at mister think of boobs
get a doctor
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Feb 14, 2014 8:10 AM
Dec 2013
HaXXspetten said:

Same.
Feb 14, 2014 8:14 AM

Aug 2013
I speak spanish fluently, but I only think in english when I don't find myself using my spanish a lot. When I lived abroad I still thought more in english, but I did sometimes think in spanish and dream in it.

My husband uses english (his 2nd language) far more than I use spanish, and he thinks in both he said... he stopped and thought for a minute and said most of the time he doesn't realize what language he's thinking in because they're pretty much interchangeable for him now.
Feb 14, 2014 8:20 AM

Nov 2012
English isn't my native language, I never talked in english in my life (here I'm typing not talking) and I think in english 70% of the time.

What intrigues me is in what language do people who don't know any language think?
The concept of thinking without using a language sounds pretty hard for me to grasp. How would that work?
Feb 14, 2014 8:20 AM

Feb 2013
You frame your perception off memory and sensation, all of which are tied with communication, so yes, the way you communicate is a huge factor in how you think.

Oh, wait, I read your sentence wrong. Yes...duh... They can think and dream in different languages.
Feb 14, 2014 8:30 AM

Feb 2012
tiro_finale said:
English isn't my native language, I never talked in english in my life (here I'm typing not talking) and I think in english 70% of the time.

What intrigues me is in what language do people who don't know any language think?
The concept of thinking without using a language sounds pretty hard for me to grasp. How would that work?

Well with sign language and with pictures.. But I don't know how deaf/blind people think.

Anyways you can try yourself thinking by just using pictures.
Edit: Try for lolz how long you can think without using any language.
Chill_Feb 14, 2014 8:33 AM
Feb 14, 2014 8:34 AM

Nov 2012
Kyonyo said:
tiro_finale said:

Well with sing language and with pictures.. But I don't know how deaf/blind people think.

Yeah, but that could be called a language to some extent?
Deaf & blind people wouldn't be able to think properly if that's the only other way.
A quick google and they apparently use the senses of touch to think, which sounds pretty difficult.
Feb 14, 2014 8:36 AM

Feb 2012
tiro_finale said:
Kyonyo said:
tiro_finale said:

Well with sing language and with pictures.. But I don't know how deaf/blind people think.

Yeah, but that could be called a language to some extent?
Deaf & blind people wouldn't be able to think properly if that's the only other way.
A quick google and they apparently use the senses of touch to think, which sounds pretty difficult.

That sounds damn weird.
Feb 14, 2014 8:38 AM

Aug 2013
Kyonyo said:
tiro_finale said:

Well with sign language and with pictures.. But I don't know how deaf/blind people think.

Edit: Try for lolz how long you can think without using any language.

I think everyone thinks with what they are familiar with. Animals I'm sure have their own way of thinking, even when their language is limited, they still have one of sorts. They may think in barks and meows for all we know. I think someone who was born deaf & blind thinks with what they know. Emotions, smell, taste, feel, and other senses that don't involve speech if they never learned it. If they learned the concept of speech, or sign language, they may still think with broken speech or with concepts from sign language. It's just a guess, but I'm sure they still think plenty, just not something you are I may be familiar with.
Feb 14, 2014 8:51 AM

Jan 2011
X means x, y means y, it's not that hard. Thought patterns are affected and may be fractions of seconds faster or slower but the end result is basically the same.
Feb 14, 2014 9:10 AM
Jul 2018
I have, people I asked say they do
Feb 14, 2014 10:37 AM

Aug 2013
I guess they do

I don't see your point?
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Feb 14, 2014 10:59 AM
Mar 2013
Welsh is my native language but I mostly think in English

I sometimes think in French and Japanese as well

I know a bit of Greek and Italian but I don't think in that
Feb 14, 2014 11:04 AM

Jan 2014
HaXXspetten said:

same, especially when i get heated in conversations, my language switch to english automatically :P

Funny thing is, due to anime influence, i tend to use japanese expressions more often (Eh? Nani? Kora! Shimatta!). Seriously they just come out... Once, I even responded to my teacher in japanese back in high school, ahaha :D
"Though we strike at you from the shadows, do NOT think that we lack the courage to stand in the light." - Zeratul
Feb 14, 2014 11:30 AM

Jun 2008
Obviously i can both speak and think in the languages i know.

OP, what makes you think that's a weird thing?
Feb 14, 2014 11:39 AM
Feb 2013
That definitely me
Feb 14, 2014 11:41 AM

Nov 2012
I think in both English and Dutch so yes.
Feb 14, 2014 11:47 AM

Mar 2013
Everyone in my family talks in Greeklish and I know I think in Greeklish so I assume they do too.

Its jus mixing up the languages up, or saying some phrases in English or Greek because why not?
Feb 14, 2014 9:17 PM

Nov 2013
If you speak two languages you're called Bi-Lingual.
If you speak three languages you're called Tri-Lingual.
If you speak one language you're called an American.
Feb 14, 2014 9:48 PM

Apr 2013
TheDarkLordOtaku said:
If you speak two languages you're called Bi-Lingual.
If you speak three languages you're called Tri-Lingual.
If you speak one language you're called an American.
lol'd
Feb 14, 2014 9:52 PM

Dec 2013
HaXXspetten said:

same goes here ._./
Feb 14, 2014 10:01 PM

Oct 2013
Sometimes i find myself not being able to remember some words in spanish but I do in english, also, sometimes I mix both languages, weird shit
UnoPuntoCincoFeb 14, 2014 10:04 PM
Feb 14, 2014 10:05 PM

Oct 2012
despite being asian i can only speak english so when i am in my spanish class i try to translate the words to english im not sure about people who cant speak english though
RRRRRRRRRR
Feb 15, 2014 1:15 AM

Nov 2011
I guess weeaboos think in japanese...

OT: Sometimes I think in english, when I'm creating some cool story for my novel, because some expressions sounds cooler in a different language, english in this case.
I luv u
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you record your thoughts down in a journal?

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

24 by Sad »»
2 minutes ago

» Why do Americans work

vasipi4946 - May 6

45 by Freshell »»
31 minutes ago

» Have you ever been falsely accused of anything? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - May 1

74 by Noboru »»
32 minutes ago

Poll: » does height matter? ( 1 2 3 )

deg - Jan 2, 2022

101 by Zedlin »»
44 minutes ago

» Favorite MAL thread maker?

barababas - May 4

36 by Starchaser »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.