Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think anime movies are on average better than series?

New
Feb 11, 2014 12:28 AM

Apr 2012
Its just something Ive noticedas Ive started watching anime movies more lately for some reason, and they are all pretty damn good. I know I havent really watched many to form a rocksolid opinion, but still I have watched shows like Jin-Roh, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, The Princess and the Pilot, The valley of the wind and I found them all great and even gave Mononoke and Valley of the Wind 10/10s which I dont do often. Sure it might just be coincidence, but at the same time I rated on average the series this year with a 6.7, I would say I am judging quite harshly compared to other years before, so its not just me growing weak.

Well enough with the blabbering what are you guys thoughts. Do you like movies on average more, or series? Do you know why one would be better than the other (if you think so)?
Feb 11, 2014 12:34 AM
Nov 2008
Higher budgets, higher profit.
Feb 11, 2014 12:36 AM

Apr 2012
Heredity said:

I dont mean just in terms of art and sound tough, even in terms of story and characters.
Feb 11, 2014 12:37 AM

Mar 2008
baki502 said:
Heredity said:

I dont mean just in terms of art and sound tough, even in terms of story and characters.
A comedy series doesn't need a story, for example.

By what stick do you measure? If it's a gold stick, do you make your measurements in sticky gold? How much sticky does it take to be better? Is better really better, or is better something else? If better is something else, then something else must be better. But how can I know what something else is? I can't tell what's better anymore.
Feb 11, 2014 12:38 AM

Dec 2012
I've started watching anime movies recently and although their production qualities are leagues better (usually), I feel like there isn't enough time to make a huge connection to it. Not to say every story needs 12-26 episodes to deliver, but I have a hard time getting invested into characters that I only know for 1-2 hours.

I watched Hotarubi no Mori e last weekend and although I thought it was beautiful, I just couldn't feel for characters the same way I would have if they were fleshed out more in a full length series. So overall I do still prefer tv series anime, but I've warmed up to movies and no longer write them off as being too short.
Feb 11, 2014 12:39 AM

Jul 2013
Hmmm... about equal to me. To me it may seem like in comparison there are more good movies out of total than good series out of total, but I haven't seen enough movies to judge that I think.
And with that I mean original movies here so not the countless movies based on series like all these naruto movies etc.
Though I also like a lot of the series I've seen. (I'm not that hard to please)
So when it comes to which one I like better on average I'd say equal. At least for how much I can say about it with the amount I've seen
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Feb 11, 2014 12:41 AM

Oct 2010
I prefer movies, usually due to length because they are simply easier to watch, but also because I think it's easier to spot the style of an author in them, due to their characteristics they depend less on having to pander/attract the attention of the viewer; instead the series have to catch their audience in a weekly basis, this is a limiting factor for the development of their ideas.
Feb 11, 2014 12:42 AM

Jan 2014
Without a doubt Ghibli movies are masterpieces, and they aren't based on any other manga or anime, they're 'unique' stories and don't have to stay true to an existing medium. I enjoy those type of movies more than movie remakes of a arc of *given anime* Studios tend to put too much of a arc's storyline into a 90 min movie and end up creating something with insufficient proper storytelling, only giving tiny bits of a HUGE amount of events that happened in that particular arc. The viewer will only end up even more confused when he's actually trying to get a nice recap of a longer story.

An example of a failed attempt at movie adaptation are pretty much all One Piece Arc movies. The Alabasta movie had so many jump cuts that I gave up on it.
YhuuroFeb 11, 2014 12:47 AM
Feb 11, 2014 12:44 AM

Nov 2013
Never. With a series you have a lot more time to get to know the characters, there's more time for a story to progress and so on. Basically the length is what makes series' better. Most of the time anyway.
Feb 11, 2014 12:45 AM

Mar 2008
Yhuuro said:
Without a doubt Ghibli movies are masterpieces, and they aren't based on any other manga or anime, they're 'unique' stories and don't have to stay true to an existing medium.
Well at the least, Nausicaa was based off the manga. I'm sure a bunch of others were 'based' off books, but those probably weren't strict adaptations.
Feb 11, 2014 12:48 AM

Jan 2009
4 of my top 5 favorite anime are movies, i find movies more enjoyable because they are straight to the point of the stories and of course better animation
Feb 11, 2014 12:54 AM

Jan 2014
It really depends:

My rules:

Rule 1: If the studio is primarily making movies, then they would make a better movie than the average animated series. The best example would be Studio Ghibli, in which it created some memorable and greatest anime movies in the medium.

Rule 2: If the anime series, have a subsequent/sequel anime movie adaptation, the series would be definitely better, with a very few exceptions. The best example would be the movie adaptation of Hunter X Hunter (Phantom Rogue, Last Mission), Naruto ( Road to Ninja), Dragon Balls Z ( Battle of the Gods). In these case, the anime series is better because of the greater plot and character development. The movies in my opinion was just made for some cash-in and nostalgia.

Rule 3: There are some anime that was made to create a continuity on the main storyline. In these case, the anime was generally on par or better than the series. I think the movie, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzimaya and Cowboy' Bebop : Knockin on Heaven's Door, would fall into this.
F0XFIRE said:
OP 4 most butthurt bitch on MAL.

Feb 11, 2014 12:56 AM

Jan 2014
They both have their ups and downs, but a movie doesn't always means high budget, there are a lot of productions made terribly having a high budget and made better with a lower budget!

But it depends, in my mind they are on the same level, anime movies and series.
Maybe I can put series one step forward, because for example I always found movies of an anime series weak.
Feb 11, 2014 12:57 AM

Oct 2012
no not really
RRRRRRRRRR
Feb 11, 2014 1:06 AM
Dec 2012
Zelgadis94 said:
They both have their ups and downs, but a movie doesn't always means high budget, there are a lot of productions made terribly having a high budget and made better with a lower budget!

But it depends, in my mind they are on the same level, anime movies and series.
Maybe I can put series one step forward, because for example I always found movies of an anime series weak.

This, most anime movies of a series are just bad one piece especially except for a few. Something original usually turns out pretty good though, at least above average and unique/original
Feb 11, 2014 1:07 AM

Jan 2014
Ckan said:
Yhuuro said:
Without a doubt Ghibli movies are masterpieces, and they aren't based on any other manga or anime, they're 'unique' stories and don't have to stay true to an existing medium.
Well at the least, Nausicaa was based off the manga. I'm sure a bunch of others were 'based' off books, but those probably weren't strict adaptations.

Ah yeah you have a point there, some were based off books, but I was just saying that Ghibli movies didn't have to depend on already existing manga panels or anime scenes. ;)
Feb 11, 2014 1:17 AM

Apr 2012
Hmm I think Yhurro made a point I remember watching some One Piece movies long time ago, and thoose really werent that great. It might really just be that because movies often are original they are better. Also I havent seen too many movies to say this for sure, but due to the limited time of movies they dont pander much or have filler, maybe that also helps making them subjectively better for me?
Or maybe its because I havent seen the newer movies but mostly some older ones?

I probably have to watch a lot mroe movies before I can judge that for sure, but I gotta say I am in a pretty big series drought right now, I dont feel like watching anime series at all anymore, movies on the other hand have me pretty fascinated ^^.
Feb 11, 2014 1:23 AM
Nov 2008
Kallifer said:
Never. With a series you have a lot more time to get to know the characters, there's more time for a story to progress and so on. Basically the length is what makes series' better. Most of the time anyway.
Plenty of Ghibli films are based upon manga and novels.

baki502 said:

More money nets you time to employ better thinkers for conceptualising, scouting, storyboaring, and scripting.
Feb 11, 2014 1:33 AM

May 2010
i dont know..there is a bunch of shitty movies..usually from long running battle shounen anime. but the majority of the movies i saw were actually really good (110 atm)
Feb 11, 2014 1:41 AM

Dec 2012
Ckan said:
Yhuuro said:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6294.Howl_s_Moving_Castle
Anime List

↳ click profile for recommendations

✨☆✨

Feb 11, 2014 4:16 AM

Oct 2013
The animation is the one thing in movies that stands out the most I mean seriously it's always so nice looking. The story though can sometimes be overdone like FMA Star of Milos lol that movie's story was a trainwreck.

Think I still prefer anime series because they're longer
Feb 11, 2014 5:31 AM

May 2013
A series is better than films for me. Its more commitment and enjoyment although an honourable mention goes to Ghibli of course.
Feb 11, 2014 9:47 AM

Jul 2012
I'm kinda in the same situation.

although i've been watching Magi Kingdom (just finished Labyrinth) i'm always trying to fit in a little more if i have extra time. which for me equates to more OVAs and films.

i feel kind of hooked as well. but i know its probably just an anime phase and i'm pressed for time. but, i may have started out watching films b/c of time issues,and i'm sort of just really into it now

for me its been a lot of OVAs really, mostly from the 90s. I just enjoy them a lot!

like i said... anime phase. lol.

Edit: I never answered the question at all. IMO? who cares as long as you are enjoying yourself ^^
Kewpie_dollFeb 11, 2014 10:03 AM
Feb 11, 2014 10:20 AM
Dec 2013
I prefer movies.
Feb 11, 2014 10:25 AM

Jun 2013
I think length is also important you can't put that much story and character development 1,5h-2h movies i agree sometimes in that short time movies can make better story then 12 episodes long series.For me after more then a year of almost watching only anime series and normal tv series that 1,5 h feels like 1-2 episodes.
Feb 11, 2014 10:33 AM
Oct 2010
I'd have flat out said yes if Ghibili didn't exist, they hurt the case for movies being better. Aside from them I prefer movies/ovas to most series.
Feb 11, 2014 10:35 AM

Apr 2012
on average of the ones that I have seen yes.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Feb 11, 2014 10:39 AM
Jul 2018
If the movie is based on an ongoing series, then it usually stands to be a bit better then that series in my experience. Still, stand alone movies that aren't a part of any established series have been some of my favorite viewing experiences thus far. Metropolis and the Girl Who Leapt Through Time are good examples of this in my opinion.
Feb 11, 2014 10:40 AM

Apr 2011
I'd say that series have more potential with story and characters, though will be at an obvious disadvantage when it comes to visuals and sounds.
Feb 11, 2014 10:40 AM

Jun 2013
Yeah I have found that stand-alone (not related to a series) movies are better on average than anime series.

More topics from this board

» Do you want anime in 4k(or in 8k)

Makoto_Yuri - Jan 25, 2022

38 by traed »»
2 minutes ago

» If there a Cute Guys doing cute thing would you watch it?

RedTea33 - May 9

28 by ColourWheel »»
2 minutes ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 3 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 2

132 by pludel2 »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you feel just not excited for anime these days? ( 1 2 )

anizawa89 - May 10

64 by SuperAdventure »»
15 minutes ago

» What do you wish to see ??

Lion_Sin - Today

25 by TRC_Randy »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.