Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 26, 2009 10:19 AM
May 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A good start. I like how they captured Hawk's weird style. This is one of those moments where I want to hear Joe Rogan's commentary
May 26, 2009 5:32 PM
Apr 2008
it wasn't bad but some things could have been done better. The music direction really took me out of it and when takamura goes fast it looks fucking stupid, it was like something out of naruto, i can understand why it was done like that in the manga but they should have did a better job of intergrating it into the anime, same goes for the 'what if hawk was faster? scene' it just looked weird and didn't work in anime form IMO.

Overall it's not a bad start but could have been done better, 3/5.
May 27, 2009 12:07 PM

Mar 2007
callmeagnew said:
it wasn't bad but some things could have been done better. The music direction really took me out of it and when takamura goes fast it looks fucking stupid, it was like something out of naruto, i can understand why it was done like that in the manga but they should have did a better job of intergrating it into the anime, same goes for the 'what if hawk was faster? scene' it just looked weird and didn't work in anime form IMO.

Overall it's not a bad start but could have been done better, 3/5.

yeah i agree, only looks stupid when he goes that fast, could have come up with something better imo.
May 27, 2009 12:34 PM

Feb 2008
anyone knows which chapter is this episode on the manga?
i want to know ahead of time and then watch the anime :P
May 27, 2009 12:37 PM
Apr 2008
the fight starts from around cha;pter 370 if i remember right, may be in the 380 region though not sure sorry. But i say definitely read the manga as this new season has cut a lot of stuff out.
May 27, 2009 12:40 PM

Feb 2008
Thanks man,
yea I just notice that today, be reading the manga soon~
May 27, 2009 11:23 PM

Jan 2009
Well, I quite liked the episode, Takamura is at a disadvantage, but I hope he wins \o/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 28, 2009 1:52 PM

Sep 2007
Just perfect...
And i need the futur episodes. :)
May 28, 2009 4:22 PM

Aug 2007
May 28, 2009 5:44 PM

Dec 2006
Hawks fighting style reminds me of Tekken's Steve Fox. The weird bending and awkward punching style is very similiar, wonder if there was an inspiration from one to another.

Very cool ep, though I gotta agree on the speed exaggeration being out of place heh.

リスト 。。

May 28, 2009 8:17 PM

Apr 2008
I can't stand Hawk..he's so...nasty. Kinda irritating.
But anyway, decent episode. The whole speed thing kinda annoyed me...way too exaggerated...
May 28, 2009 8:51 PM

Aug 2007
I loved it. The hawk's fighting style is so unnatural you have to give him props. If I fought a guy who could punch me with a flexed blow I don't know what I'd do.
May 28, 2009 9:55 PM

Nov 2007
i enjoyed the entire thing until the speed thing like everyone said. honestly, before i even saw the preview, i don't know why it wasn't suggested that takamura fight like he used to on the street. street v. street. makes sense.....
May 28, 2009 10:44 PM
May 2007
just wait and you will see

but anyway, hawk's semi-origin story is coming soon
May 28, 2009 10:49 PM

Jun 2008
i dont see why everyone is annoyed by the speed, it may have been exagerated but its not like they were doing it during the entire fight so far, anyways i loved every part of this episode it was intense cant wait for the next one to come out.
May 29, 2009 3:25 AM

Sep 2007
For the speed...
If you look on the manga, you can see it's the same think.
Here
So... :)
May 29, 2009 5:00 AM

Jan 2008
ShiroiRyu said:
For the speed...
If you look on the manga, you can see it's the same think.
Here
So... :)

403 Forbidden Error

With only four episodes left, I don't see this season finishing with Takamura's fight. I've read the manga, and unless they do like 3-4 chapters an episode, there's just no way.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
May 29, 2009 5:41 AM

Sep 2007
Sorry : Here
Normally, it's better.
May 29, 2009 6:27 AM

Jun 2008
Hawk is just too strong. I don't see how Takumura would win.
May 29, 2009 9:51 AM
May 2007
if you think things are exaggerated, then you haven't seen ringu ni kakero
May 29, 2009 12:38 PM

Apr 2009
This is what I've been waiting for.
Nothing else to add other than: can't wait for next week!

- Lith.
May 29, 2009 3:39 PM

May 2007
The speed thing was stretched too far...almost a shounen-esque degree, but regardless, I still found myself enthralled in the episode.
May 29, 2009 4:31 PM

Aug 2008
Great episode, loved it. Some of you are funny, "speed things is exaggerated"... We are in an anime. Anime aren't reality.
May 29, 2009 8:10 PM

Aug 2008
But when you top it off with a lot of the things that they stretch with Takamura (including his weight debacle) it gets a little ridiculous.

Regardless, it was an ok episode. I feel like the lack of animation is really hurting the fights. I remember in the last show where there was a clear budgetary difference in the fights; especially regarding animation. This time, I feel like it all looks the same. I'm really annoyed by the way that they present Hawk though. It's just so "over the top villain" that I can't really stand it. There's no depth there at all, so I just can't get into the fight.
May 30, 2009 5:05 AM

Jul 2008
Glad that the fight is here, and it was pretty good. The speed may have been exaggerated like everybody is saying, but the rest of the fight so far was quite good. LOL at Hawk speeding up and looking like he had summoned demons from the abyss.
May 30, 2009 11:48 AM

Oct 2008
awesome episode fcking awesome im speechless.
May 30, 2009 12:53 PM

May 2009
I hope takamura will kick brains ass!! he deserves it O.o
May 31, 2009 12:55 AM

Mar 2008
vindemon64 said:
The speed thing was stretched too far...almost a shounen-esque degree

Hajime No Ippo is a shounen.
May 31, 2009 7:38 AM

Dec 2006
It's a shounen but not one that this kinda crap should be in. Ah well, I'm just guessing they couldn't have portrayed the "insane" speed mode any other way. As long as we are not seeing this

It's all gravy.
リスト 。。

Jun 1, 2009 10:02 PM

Apr 2008
This second season is really deceiving me...
Jun 2, 2009 2:07 AM

Jun 2009
noteDhero said:
But when you top it off with a lot of the things that they stretch with Takamura (including his weight debacle) it gets a little ridiculous.

Regardless, it was an ok episode. I feel like the lack of animation is really hurting the fights. I remember in the last show where there was a clear budgetary difference in the fights; especially regarding animation. This time, I feel like it all looks the same. I'm really annoyed by the way that they present Hawk though. It's just so "over the top villain" that I can't really stand it. There's no depth there at all, so I just can't get into the fight.

wait, what weight debacle? i thought it was clear that takamura did not go all the way back to his natural weight because of the short interval. No one can gain and lose 45 lbs in like two months or so.

also, i don't think 'depth' was ever a requirement for enjoying fights. besides, it's not just hawk is 'over-the-top villain', he's 'over-the-top-like-takamura-only-better villian'
Jun 2, 2009 7:47 AM

Feb 2008
WHAT LACK OF ANIMATION? Jesus christ, we're boxing, it's not like you're going to see well animated punches all around, it just happens TOO FAST.

GIVE ME EPISODE 22 ALREADYYYY

Also, for the haters, this new season of Ippo is by far the greatest thing that happened in '09.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Jun 2, 2009 8:36 AM

Nov 2007
sick!
Jun 2, 2009 10:41 AM
May 2007
wait, what weight debacle? i thought it was clear that takamura did not go all the way back to his natural weight because of the short interval. No one can gain and lose 45 lbs in like two months or so.

UFC fighter Diego Sanchez cut 50 pounds in a month and a half
Jun 2, 2009 10:56 AM

Aug 2008
fisher_88 said:

also, i don't think 'depth' was ever a requirement for enjoying fights. besides, it's not just hawk is 'over-the-top villain', he's 'over-the-top-like-takamura-only-better villian'

They said in previous episodes that Takamura had to lose the weight. He gained back a certain amount of weight just drinking water, and then they just mentioned he had to drop the 45 with extra focus on the last 10 kilos in that specific episode. That's why I called it a debacle.

The precedent with the series so far is that every major opponent has had some sort of story to set as an emotional backdrop to the fight. Maybe all of them aren't successful, but it's there. It's pretty missing here, but I think it's just because he's supposed to show the viewer what Takamura is/could be like. I just don't really care for the match and the super speed and instant transmissions add to my dislike.

zeroj said:
WHAT LACK OF ANIMATION? Jesus christ, we're boxing, it's not like you're going to see well animated punches all around, it just happens TOO FAST.

If I remember correctly we saw well animated fights in the first series, and even maybe the first fight of this series. The show takes liberties with time all over the place, so "it just happens too fast" isn't an excuse.
Jun 2, 2009 12:08 PM

Jun 2007
I agree with noteDhero. The lack of animation during the fight (zooming into the faces to not have to show punches being thrown, lines used to show movement instead of animation, etc) has kinda ruined it for me. It's supposed to be the biggest fight yet for any main character, yet it's being treated like an average, run of the mill scrap. The Miyata fight at the start was far more pleasing visually and, so far, a better fight in general.

I didn't like the 'speed' insanity. It struck me as yet another animation copout. Why not simply show Takamura circling Hawk quickly? Because that would've cost money. It looked cheap and, quite frankly, dumb.

At one point I was thinking about rating this series 10/10 and putting it in my top five. But after episode 20 and the average to start to this much uilt up fight, I'm now thinking about downgrading its rating to 8/10. Unless this fight and the animation improve, it's going to end disappointingly for me.
Jun 2, 2009 3:03 PM
Dec 2007
Good start but I expected better. I hope the following episodes will be as epic as I want them to be, or else the fantastic build up will be wasted and I don't even want to think about it.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jun 2, 2009 5:57 PM

Jun 2008
You are suppose to just watch something and enjoy it if it's the kind of thing you like. Not analyze every fucking frame so you can find were the animation isn't exactly what you like. Even a scene isn't made from 120 different images and it's made by 5 if they did it in a good way and it looks good then it's just fine. Stop bitching.
And has any of you thought that some face close ups and some lines to show tension is the way they wanted to do it even if they had a bigger budget. For example there is this scene where they show the crowd shouting. It just a static picture with some lines around and the picture in a shake mode. Now they could have done it with animation with the spectators jumping up and down and things flying in the air but really it would just have been a waste of money. Because that picture delivered nicely the atmosphere and the tension they wanted with out really being annoying from being static, saving them from using a lot of worthless animation. Personally i call that talent. For me bad animation is when you show the movement and the movement really sucks. That's what i call bad animation. Not a face close up and all that.
Really for so much action with so match animation needed for every scene they didn't to a bad job. You can't compare that to some anime with slow scenes.

Now i found the fight to be quite good. It showed that Takamura really is an amazing talent.(Until now we haven't really seen any of his skills) and it also show that Hawk is a monster himself with some secret weapon technique in his armory as a bonus. The speed thing did look a little over the top at moments but it was the same in the manga so it's not there fault.
I can't wait for the rest of the fight since they both seem to be great fighters.
Now if Hawk really isn't very trained maybe Takamura can take advantage of the stamina factor although i don't think it will happen.
I just want to see what other tricks they have in the bag.
MonadJun 2, 2009 6:01 PM
Jun 2, 2009 6:44 PM

Aug 2008
It amazes me when people who are in love with something get so irrationally defensive when people discuss an episode and go to the default of "if you don't like it, don't watch it."

Notice that no one has said that they have disliked the episode, Monad. People are expressing their disappointment with how things are being executed. That's what discussion is for. It would be impossible to analyze a frame to talk about animation since it's a series of frames that results in animation.

Just because a show is executed in the manner that they wanted without budget issues (which is practically nonexistent given the medium and the economy), doesn't mean that all the choices are right, nor does it mean that people can't feel one way or another about it and disscuss it in a discussion forum.

Also, the phrase used by me and others was a "lack of animation."

All of your other points are fine with me. I personally don't think that this fight is showing Takamura to be an amazing talent because even with the work he's put into training, he is loosing right now (even though I'm pretty sure he'll win in the end).
Jun 2, 2009 7:21 PM

Jun 2008
noteDhero said:
It amazes me when people who are in love with something get so irrationally defensive when people discuss an episode and go to the default of "if you don't like it, don't watch it."

Notice that no one has said that they have disliked the episode, Monad. People are expressing their disappointment with how things are being executed. That's what discussion is for. It would be impossible to analyze a frame to talk about animation since it's a series of frames that results in animation.

Just because a show is executed in the manner that they wanted without budget issues (which is practically nonexistent given the medium and the economy), doesn't mean that all the choices are right, nor does it mean that people can't feel one way or another about it and disscuss it in a discussion forum.

Also, the phrase used by me and others was a "lack of animation."

All of your other points are fine with me. I personally don't think that this fight is showing Takamura to be an amazing talent because even with the work he's put into training, he is loosing right now (even though I'm pretty sure he'll win in the end).

For the first part of what you wrote, after reading my own post i edited it because i wasn't pleased. Although you answered almost an hour later after my edit your post still answers to my unedited post so am not gone a discuss it until you have the chance to edit your answer accordingly.

Now about Takamuras talent. I believe it was obvious since he is fighting the best in the world and he managed to give some good blows he showed amazing speed that usually few athletes in his category have and the power of his blows was also obvious from moments like the one that his punched wasn't stopping despite the champion using his clove to stop it.
Also his coolness of using every book rule in boxing under such an immerse pressure while fighting someone very powerful with a complete unorthodox style show how good of an athlete he is.
Let's not forget that we only saw the start of the fight and anyone would be surprised at start by Hawks style.
Usually someone with not many skills facing a world class champion could go down in 2 minutes. I believe this episode showed more that Hawk is very talented and powerful rather than showing Takamura being weak.
Jun 2, 2009 7:43 PM

Aug 2008
I had written my response after your revision, so it all stands.

I wasn't saying that Takamura is weak, just that he isn't as strong as Bryan. Because of everything that has gone on in this episode, I'll have a hard time believing that Takamura would win any other way besides out enduring him. As far as talent goes, he's only really shown the basics of boxing since he hasn't met anyone to bring this side of him out yet. But yeah, it's showing Hawk to be superpowerful more than anything else.
Jun 3, 2009 6:58 PM

Mar 2008
noteDhero said:
I had written my response after your revision, so it all stands.

I wasn't saying that Takamura is weak, just that he isn't as strong as Bryan. Because of everything that has gone on in this episode, I'll have a hard time believing that Takamura would win any other way besides out enduring him. As far as talent goes, he's only really shown the basics of boxing since he hasn't met anyone to bring this side of him out yet. But yeah, it's showing Hawk to be superpowerful more than anything else.

Well, if one has experienced a few shonen shows, every time a main character gets "owned" in the beginning, it's almost a necessity to expect a miraculous comeback. Logical? No. But that's what tends to happen for some reason.

As far as the lack of animation issue, i personally don't care. People who do are obviously free to point out such things, since everyone has different experctations and tastes concerning what is important in a show.
Jun 6, 2009 1:09 PM

Jul 2008
wow takamura got dropped damn hawk a beast!!!!!
Jun 29, 2009 12:19 AM
Jun 2009
lol@ this, i just got one question.. whats the name of that theme that comes on when takamura does the sonic the hedgehog around Brian Hawk and started with the left jabs.. its towrds the end of the episodes..
Oct 31, 2009 4:29 AM

Nov 2007
At this rate Takamura will have to return to his brawling roots =/
Jan 5, 2011 10:53 PM

Aug 2008
Was it just me who thought it weird to see Takamura utilizing such perfect boxing techniques. Usually he's swinging for the fences, but that was some good stuff... Well until the knockdowns. Hell of a time to learn to deal with damage. Great episode, I'm looking forward to seeing how this heats up.

Jul 19, 2011 10:35 AM

May 2010
Well without doubt, Hawk is strong.. his fighting style is certainly strange.. I wonder how Takamura will be able to overcome all the obstacles.. Bryan Hawk deserves to lose as he isn't fit to be a champion :-P
Sep 2, 2013 7:51 AM

Jul 2013
Hawk is really a freak of nature, being able to do all that with no training and just raw talent, that's really scary. I don't know how this match will go, but I hope there's still a chance of Takamura winning.
Sep 18, 2013 7:11 PM

Apr 2012
I hope it takes a good end for Takamura. Hawk seems to be too strong :o
Nov 27, 2013 8:07 PM

Nov 2011
Wow, Takamura...he's down. Now that got me curious, what is Hawk's secret? How the hell did he just move out of nowhere like that...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ParaParaJMo - Mar 17, 2009

66 by UncleWinkleDink »»
Yesterday, 12:58 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

superjesus - Mar 9, 2009

64 by UncleWinkleDink »»
Apr 21, 7:46 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ParaParaJMo - Apr 21, 2009

75 by Meritas »»
Mar 16, 4:50 AM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ParaParaJMo - Jun 16, 2009

139 by DiomarBrasindo »»
Feb 1, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ParaParaJMo - Mar 10, 2009

55 by Meritas »»
Jan 21, 5:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.