Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 14, 2009 9:53 AM
May 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Enjoyed this episode and it followed the manga very faithfully and was paced very excellently in correspondence to it, and covered quite A LOT of material in this episode. I just don't like the color of Itagkai's trunks. Couldn't they just use the colors in the games instead!? Blue and purple just looks fruity on him.

Anyway, I thought they did Ippo and Itagaki's locker room scene also pretty accurately, and I also enjoyed how they did Kimura's match.

And I especially loved this part of the episode
http://www.confusticated.com/ignition-one/series/Hajime_no_Ippo/364/19.jpg

I expect the Takamura/Morris fight to be at least and episode and a half. The ending to the fight is so bad ass.

Apr 16, 2009 10:56 AM

Jan 2008
Wow, those were terrible subtitles. I'm glad I read the manga first so I had a better idea of what everyone was saying.

lol Poor Takamura. He looks like a mummified corpse. The next episode is going to be cool though.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Apr 16, 2009 12:58 PM

Aug 2008
Yeah, I won't be watching aasasubs again. Luckily I was able to translate the translation fast enough in my head.

Anyways, this was easily the most entertaining episode of the whole series. I don't think I've been so amused by any other episode. Who would have know that the determined Manabu was such an arrogant pussy? Kimura was a bit of a joke too. And Takamura was hilarious in the saddest way possible.

I'm actually looking forward to a fighting episode.
Apr 16, 2009 2:35 PM

Aug 2008
Had also a hard time following what was going had due to a bad memory and bad subs, anyway I enjoyed this episode alot but still I get the feeling that they are holding back on the jokes.

Can't wait for Takamuras two fights and the pressconferance.
In nomine Patri. Et Fili. Spiritus Sancti.
Apr 16, 2009 4:55 PM

May 2007
Can we just fast forward to Takamura's world title match? This episode really made me pumped up for it.
Apr 16, 2009 9:45 PM

Jun 2007
I'm loving this. I was a bit skeptical about this season while watching the Nao match, but this pretty much sells me. They really handled Itagaki's locker room scene well, and we're finally going to meet Hawk in the next ep.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Apr 16, 2009 9:56 PM

Feb 2009
HAHAHA. Takamura is the best. can't wait for next episode. yeah, those subs were retarded. does full house really need to be defined? I was getting tired of all the "F@#*"s and was kind of weirded out when they made ippo say "isn't that all bullshit" i mean seriously! this is IPPO here! he'd never say "bullshit".
[url=http://www.squiby.net/level/4135737]
Apr 17, 2009 3:09 AM

Jul 2008
noteDhero said:
Yeah, I won't be watching aasasubs again.

LOL at the drained Takamura. Sucks for Itagaki to get cheated out of a win, but like Ippo said he could have prevented some things and he didn't. Great comedy in the episode.
Apr 17, 2009 5:36 AM
Apr 2008
not a bad episode but i felt the pacing was pretty rushed, i also think that this director omits a lot of humour present in the manga, mainly the fights. Such as when Takamura makes his entrance and the announcer can't bring himself to say anything due to his state. I also think that this director follows the manga way too much in parts and it just doesn't work as well (such as the training montage in this episode), at this rate the next episode will rush all the way through the morris fight and end

overall it wasn't a bad episode but it made me realise how much i miss nishimura.
Apr 17, 2009 6:11 AM

Jun 2008
that really made me laugh,.,.takamura-san,.,.your so funny,.,.,but really the sub suck,,,,,.,
Apr 17, 2009 10:40 PM

Mar 2008
still no non shitty subs out eh?
Apr 18, 2009 2:01 AM

Jul 2007
frostii subs are out, and they are good.
Apr 18, 2009 2:54 AM

Mar 2008
animejnkie said:
frostii subs are out, and they are good.

oh, thank jesus.

*downloads*
Apr 18, 2009 3:19 AM

Jul 2008
good ep it suxs that itagaki loss and was booed damn and takumura.lmao takumura.^^
Apr 18, 2009 3:28 AM

Mar 2008
I felt rly bad for Itagaki when he lost in the manga, and they did a good job translating that into the anime.
Apr 18, 2009 6:05 AM

Jun 2008
Thank god that I've waited for better subs. Anyway That was an extremely enjoyable episode. Also Ippo was kinda mean to Itagaki .
Apr 18, 2009 9:11 AM

Aug 2008
I don't think he was mean at all. Itagaki was unprofessional. When is it ever a good idea to whine to the referee in the middle of a fight? Very immature.
Apr 19, 2009 5:43 AM
May 2007
all that tyson did in the second fight against holyfield for all the headbutts he was doing was by biting his ear. itagaki should do that in a rematch =P.
Apr 19, 2009 6:52 AM

Mar 2008
ParaParaJMo said:
all that tyson did in the second fight against holyfield for all the headbutts he was doing was by biting his ear. itagaki should do that in a rematch =P.

he did it twice, too.
Apr 20, 2009 2:54 AM

Jul 2008
Well, that was fun. I didn't realize subs were out since I usually just pick up Speedstar. Whoops. Good adaptation, fairly faithful, I felt Ippo's speech was done better in the anime than the manga as well, actually. I enjoyed it, hope this fight doesn't take too long. I figure it'll only be one episode with the explosive finish right at the end. Or I can hope.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Apr 20, 2009 4:34 PM

Feb 2009
Cant wait for the next episode.
Takamura is da best.

Apr 21, 2009 5:45 AM

Jun 2008
noteDhero said:
I don't think he was mean at all. Itagaki was unprofessional. When is it ever a good idea to whine to the referee in the middle of a fight? Very immature.

But still, it was his first fight.
Apr 21, 2009 9:56 AM
May 2007
it's not like makino was being professional either
Apr 21, 2009 10:25 AM

Aug 2008
It was his first professional fight, but not his first fight all together. He should no not to cry at the referee like that. I'm not saying Makino was professional either, but Itagaki was so arrogant that he didn't bother to listen to his second, zoned out into another world and kind of did whatever. The after the first round was over he still was kept that ridiculous attitude and let himself get taken by surprise right after the bell rung. He had bad form since is/was used to being the best. Get over it.
Apr 21, 2009 10:38 AM

Aug 2007
Man. Just waiting to see Takamura's fight animated makes me want to add this to my favs.
Apr 22, 2009 12:22 AM

Aug 2007
ParaParaJMo said:

I expect the Takamura/Morris fight to be at least and episode and a half. The ending to the fight is so bad ass.

this should be in spoilers. not all of us have read the manga. i was expecting a quick knockout. thanks for ruining it.
Apr 22, 2009 7:22 AM

Sep 2007
... For me... I want to saw the best fight of the manga : Takamura VS Bryan Hawk...
When you saw Takamura with a new style of hair. :)
For the subs... I prefer do not speak about that. ^^'
(Now, i know i mustn't take Aarasubs. :s)
Apr 22, 2009 10:13 AM

Jun 2008
He was acting unprofessional. Because it was his first professional fight.
So that's why Ippo shouldn't be so harsh about it, also he could be a little kinder to him.
Apr 22, 2009 2:13 PM

Jun 2007
kie_ said:
He was acting unprofessional. Because it was his first professional fight.
So that's why Ippo shouldn't be so harsh about it, also he could be a little kinder to him.

If you want to be a pro at anything, you should at least be prepared for a lecture when you screw up. There's no such thing as giving too harsh a lecture to a sore loser, even in high school level sports.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Apr 22, 2009 4:30 PM

Jun 2007
noteDhero said:

I don't understand all that boxing stuff too well, but I quickly googled for some pro boxing rules. I read the part regarding fouls and thought: wtf

I looked back to this thread and thought: wtf rofl?

Could someone explain this to me? As far as I see it:

- pro boxing is all about money (effectively) like all kinds of professional sports
- there are rules
- if someone breaks the rules trying to gain an advantage over someone else it's only natural for the victim to complain about it ... after all: his income is at stake

imagine: you're at work and someone else breaks your equipment with a baseball bat, watches you being thrown out by your boss and then applies for your job. you'd at the very least sue him! only a fucking dumb piece of shit would let others do something like that with him

Now, as mentioned: Would some knowing person explain to me why everyone (in the show and here on the boards it seems) thinks Itadaki is an unprofessional, immature whining idiot?
Apr 22, 2009 8:49 PM

Aug 2007
noteDhero said:

Yeah. Because it's always right when the other person cheats. Let me guess. You kick somebody in the balls in order to win right?
Apr 22, 2009 9:32 PM

Aug 2008
Wow, I think it's really ridiculous that some of you can't really seem to see the bigger issue and how they are trying to characterize Itagaki. It's never right when someone cheats, but the point is how you recover from it. Especially in something as eminent as a fight where you are on a timer and every hit counts, you don't have time to waste on thinking about a punch that hit you. Legal or not. You have to react quckly and suck it up.

The problem is that Itagaki went in not listening to anyone and in deciding not to listen to his second's advice, was unprepared for what happened. Then he thought that he could stop the fight and make the ref see what he didn't see. That Itagaki got placed in a fight with a cheater was unfortunate, but let's not pretend like we didn't see this happen before. I believe (I don't rememeber, it's been 2 years) it was Miyata v. Mashiba where Mashiba purposefully stepped on Miyata's foot to anchor him in one place. Did Miyata try to stop the fight, loosen his guard and try to argue with the ref? No.

That's what sports, hell, life is about, rebounding from the unfairness that is thrown your way and coming out better for it. Itagaki is too spoiled and in his own world to see that yet.
Apr 22, 2009 10:29 PM

Aug 2007
noteDhero said:
Wow, I think it's really ridiculous that some of you can't really seem to see the bigger issue and how they are trying to characterize Itagaki. It's never right when someone cheats, but the point is how you recover from it. Especially in something as eminent as a fight where you are on a timer and every hit counts, you don't have time to waste on thinking about a punch that hit you. Legal or not. You have to react quckly and suck it up.

The problem is that Itagaki went in not listening to anyone and in deciding not to listen to his second's advice, was unprepared for what happened. Then he thought that he could stop the fight and make the ref see what he didn't see. That Itagaki got placed in a fight with a cheater was unfortunate, but let's not pretend like we didn't see this happen before. I believe (I don't rememeber, it's been 2 years) it was Miyata v. Mashiba where Mashiba purposefully stepped on Miyata's foot to anchor him in one place. Did Miyata try to stop the fight, loosen his guard and try to argue with the ref? No.

That's what sports, hell, life is about, rebounding from the unfairness that is thrown your way and coming out better for it. Itagaki is too spoiled and in his own world to see that yet.

Sure he shouldn't have tried to say anything at that time but calling him an idiot and saying he is unprofessional is going to far.
Apr 22, 2009 10:41 PM

Aug 2008
I'm not calling him an idiot solely because of that. It's also because of his conduct after the fight with Ippo. That's what absolutely makes him an idiot. When you lose, think about why you lost, not why you should have won. And when someone is trying to tell you what happened, someone you respect, don't think that you're so great that then the whole world is against you. That's what is childish and unprofessional. That's what Ippo was trying to say.

Wow it takes this level of lame for me to side with Ippo. I think that's a first.
Apr 23, 2009 6:15 AM

Jun 2008
I think we are arguing about a stupid thing.
Apr 23, 2009 8:59 AM
May 2007
either way in the end

as for estimating a fight's episode length, how is that a spoiler? it's not like i said takamura breaks his arm or something (not like he did). and it turned out my estimation was wrong anyway.
Apr 25, 2009 12:41 AM

Mar 2009
O_O

Complete and utter shock! Everything you'd expect to happen in this ep. doesn't, it's actually the opposite. I would've never imagined that Itagaki would loose his debut match...and then leave the ring accompanied by a rain of boos from the audience. It's just so humiliating!

But what was really the most shocking part for me was what Ippo said to him afterwards. I mean I was thinking just like Itagaki was; that Ippo would take his side...but then he goes and does the complete opposite! I'm just amazed that Ippo's would act so stern and strict towards his junior like that.

And then of course there's Takamura, who shows up in such an unexpected fashion! The toughest guy in Japan shows up looking all frail and weak, it's quite the unexpected twist. Fortunately I love twists...and I'm a sucker for cliffhangers so this episode has actually turned out to be a season favorite for me so far! I can't wait to see what happens with Takamura's fight. I also can't wait to find out more about this World Title match. Heh, isn't it interesting that the guy made out to be the most arrogant jackass in the show just happens to be an American?

5/5
Apr 25, 2009 12:46 AM

Mar 2009
noteDhero said:
I'm not calling him an idiot solely because of that. It's also because of his conduct after the fight with Ippo. That's what absolutely makes him an idiot. When you lose, think about why you lost, not why you should have won. And when someone is trying to tell you what happened, someone you respect, don't think that you're so great that then the whole world is against you. That's what is childish and unprofessional. That's what Ippo was trying to say.

Wow it takes this level of lame for me to side with Ippo. I think that's a first.

Isn't it a little harsh to be calling him an idiot? He just had a disappointing first loss as a pro, and he's not thinking straight. I'm sure he'll understand later, but I certainly don't blame him for the way he reacted towards Ippo.
Apr 26, 2009 11:13 AM
Dec 2007
Haha, great fun episode :)

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 27, 2009 5:07 AM

Jun 2008
noteDhero said:

People who judge others easily like they are perfect. Or is your life that easy?

I find his reaction a huge bonus to the anime because they didn't try to sugarcoat it by making him have some perfect reaction or something. That reaction was very real.
He felt really hurt by the defeat and especially by the way he lost(unfair) and no matter how right Ippo was, there was no way that he would have taking it nicely at that moment. And it's perfectly human. If he didn't react that way then he would be another one of those cool anime characters that we all know that they are as fake as it gets.
I wonder why most react so hostile to any character that shows realistic behavior.
Even what happen in the fight is nothing strange. It was his first fight he didn't knew what pro boxing was all about and he faced a situation that surprised him. It can happen to anyone. When i was still an athlete i fell for something similar my first time also and i still feel like shit and don't want to talk about it.
Jun 9, 2009 2:01 AM

Aug 2007
After finally watching the episode all I can say is the ref is blinder than Stevie Wonder, Terry McAulay, and Helen Keller combined.
Oct 28, 2009 4:03 AM

Nov 2007
lmao what is happening at Korakuen hall ><? Takamura isn't in the best of conditions but will he still somehow take the victory =O? But man Itagaki should have won =/ Ippo came in to give professional advice but I guess that just hurt him more =/
Mar 13, 2010 10:56 PM

Jul 2008
This episode made 14 episodes of so-so episodes worth it. GO TAKAMURA!
Jan 5, 2011 3:33 PM

Aug 2008
Wow. This is turning into a complete f*cking disaster. Despite the dower atmosphere hanging over everything now. I think this was a really good episode. Ippo really laid into Manabu for his immaturity in the ring. I liked that, a lot! These local refs suck ass and he better learn to deal with it fast or else. As for Takamura... oh... oh f*ck.

Jul 18, 2011 2:03 AM

May 2010
Holy crap! Itagaki lost!??! haha and having to lose to a cheater is even worst! :-P As for Kimura's fight.. his fights aren't so enjoying anymore.. I hope he can still improve :-(
Near the end of the episode.. I couldn't stop laughing at Takamura's "odd" situation.. its like what the F* happened after the training camp at the beach LOLs the sea bug really got to him XD I wonder how he'll got outta this one :-)))))
Jul 25, 2012 8:33 PM

Jan 2012
Holy shit Takamura!
Jul 24, 2013 5:08 PM

Sep 2012
Itagaki losing to a cheater...

Also, what the fuck did you do to yourself Takamura?!
Jul 31, 2013 8:13 PM

May 2011
TAKAMURAAA xD the worst day to the club and i feel sorry to itagaki, he couldn't control his anger
Sep 1, 2013 8:25 AM

Jul 2013
That Makino guy was really desperate to win, but I don't blame, that's how the world of boxing is, very unpredictable. I hope that Itagaki is able to recover from that, and Takamura looks like a mess right now, I'm not sure how this match will go.
Sep 16, 2013 4:52 PM

Apr 2012
Oh Takamura looks badly handicaped ó_ò
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ParaParaJMo - Mar 17, 2009

66 by UncleWinkleDink »»
Apr 22, 12:58 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

superjesus - Mar 9, 2009

64 by UncleWinkleDink »»
Apr 21, 7:46 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ParaParaJMo - Apr 21, 2009

75 by Meritas »»
Mar 16, 4:50 AM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ParaParaJMo - Jun 16, 2009

139 by DiomarBrasindo »»
Feb 1, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ParaParaJMo - Mar 10, 2009

55 by Meritas »»
Jan 21, 5:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.