Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kill la Kill
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Feb 6, 2014 10:13 PM

Feb 2012
Saw this coming. It was just a matter of when and boy was it perfect timing.

Judging from the preview the mom isn't dead yet which is no surprise. Killing off the main villain that easily would be in poor taste, unless of course Mui was somehow working for someone else that was the true villain. Either way, it's good to see she wont go down without a fight.
Feb 6, 2014 10:23 PM
Apr 2013
All these reactions to what happened at the end of the episode...

Even with the foreshadowing it still didn't have impact and Satsuki declaring what she was doing made it even less dramatic.

We've known Ragyo for what, a few scenes, and suddenly we're supposed to feel shocked when she's betrayed by Satsuki?

Meh.

I reacted exactly as I should have, not how the writer intended me to - feeling next to nothing besides "ooh, pretty cinematography."

And now the preview for episode 18 shows that Ragyo is all fine and dandy so it just seems like wasted emotion or worse - as forced as the developments in this show...

Also regarding speculation about Tsumugu being Ryuuko's Uncle, Kinagase being Ryuuko's mum, Satsuki and Ryuuko being sisters and Ragyo being Ryuuko's mum:

In the end it won't mean a goddamn thing where emotional weight is concerned. That's just how the show's writer treats these things. He can't handle emotion in his stories at all. It'll just be another piece of trivia, a mildly interesting piece of information and at most nothing more than a plot device:

Mikisugi Sensei: "Your mummy was a lab scientist, Ryuuko-kun, and now you have a tolerance to life fibres - go save the world!"

Ryuuko: "Mm! Wakatta!"

Cue big explosions, long speeches and pointlessly over the top fights where no one sustains serious injury and nakama power saves the day.

Core of the series or not, I can't take this show seriously anymore. It falls short in the comedy department, it falls short in the action department, it falls short in the character department it falls short period.

And the whole "core of the series" line was just a marketing ploy. The show started out wanting to parody stuff but somewhere down the line, the series director and writer probably realized that wouldn't cut it for 24 episodes straight. So they decided to tack on a story involving aliens of all things.

That's the subtext you can get from that initial interview before the show had aired where the writer goes it started out as a battle anime but became a character drama.

GTFO, Usotsuki!

I remember seeing that whole "Gamagoori Kills a Student Spy From Kobe Scene" in the very first episode and thinking "WOOOOOOOW! This show is going to be in-fucking-sane". And then a few scenes later I see the boxing captain drool over Ryuuko and Mako about to be fried alive and I thought "Um...okay? Huge grating tonal-shift there but whatever."

The show hasn't recovered since.

Feb 6, 2014 10:41 PM

Mar 2012
Satsuki going HAM. And what the fuck, preview? How is she still alive?
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Feb 6, 2014 11:01 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
That was very predictable since there SO many foreshadowing. Maybe I watched too much anime.... It's probably a time to take a break...
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Feb 6, 2014 11:08 PM

Jul 2013
Man, stop boasting about your prediction. So many people already saw the betrayal since long time ago. To begin with it was already strange that Satsuki kept saving Ryuuko from being killed. So once again STOP boasting!

Soon there would be people who boast they predicted that Ragyo was controlled by the life fiber even though it was already made clear that she made a contract with them in ep 16 *smh
Feb 6, 2014 11:13 PM
Jul 2018
Satsuki betrayed her own mother, I did not expect that.
Feb 7, 2014 12:03 AM

Dec 2013
Whoa!! Somebody on an episode discussion predicted this but I still didn't see it coming! I definitely didn't expect Satsuki to impale her mother right then! But wtf is going on?! Ragyo doesn't seem dead, especially considering the preview. Aw man, what direction is the series gonna take now?! 9 episodes left!

ya know, I don't see why life fibers and humans can't coexist. I bet thats how things will end.
DaydreamHeroFeb 7, 2014 12:25 AM
Love and Peace!!!
Feb 7, 2014 12:35 AM

Jul 2008
What is Ragyou's end game? If she wants Life Fibers to rule over humanity or something, where does that leave her? Do the Kiryuuins just get to stay rich and powerful because they help the Life Fibers get back on top or something?

Thund3r1 said:
Whoa!! Somebody on an episode discussion predicted this but I still didn't see it coming! I definitely didn't expect Satsuki to impale her mother right then! But wtf is going on?! Ragyo doesn't seem dead, especially considering the preview. Aw man, what direction is the series gonna take now?! 9 episodes left!

Only seven~.
Feb 7, 2014 12:36 AM

Jan 2014
I think we all can agree that the foreshadowing for the betrayal was clear but not how she decides to do it....

Great ep as always
Don't attribute maliciousness when stupidity is enough to explain what happens
Feb 7, 2014 12:41 AM

Feb 2011
Yeah i have a feeling a while ago that Satsuki will try to kill her mother as she already knew Ragyo is no longer human since the way she speaks it's like she is already have been consumed by the Life Fiber itself.

Oh dear this getting more intense now! i can't wait what will happen next! :)
Feb 7, 2014 12:44 AM

Apr 2012
Mako has overstayed her welcome far too long and is getting tedious and annoying. She's just an overused joke at this point and just kills the mood of scenes with her constant interruption.
Feb 7, 2014 1:20 AM

Nov 2010
Durbikins said:
Mako has overstayed her welcome far too long and is getting tedious and annoying. She's just an overused joke at this point and just kills the mood of scenes with her constant interruption.

I agree a little bit. She follows along too much when she shouldn't.
This episode will make for an interesting next couple of episodes can't wait.
It was not written in the stars that we be together.
Feb 7, 2014 1:56 AM

Jan 2014
Durbikins said:

I disagree. Mako has been the life of the party pretty much all the way through, and her tirades still keep me laughing. It's also obvious she's going to play a bigger part in the rest of the series.

As for the episode, fantastic as always. It was clear that Satsuki was going to betray Ragyo, but people are missing the point of why it's such a good twist, which is the manner in which it happened and the timing.

I also want to see more of Hououmaru. Her indifference to Satsuki's attack shows that Ragyo isn't going down that easily.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 7, 2014 2:01 AM

Jan 2014
jiraiya_sensei said:
Man, stop boasting about your prediction. So many people already saw the betrayal since long time ago. To begin with it was already strange that Satsuki kept saving Ryuuko from being killed. So once again STOP boasting!

Soon there would be people who boast they predicted that Ragyo was controlled by the life fiber even though it was already made clear that she made a contract with them in ep 16 *smh

I agree. Predicting that is nothing. It's as pointless as predicting that the good guy is going to win at the end of the series. That much is obvious, but the manner in which it is pulled off is what is important, and so far the show has done that splendidly.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 7, 2014 2:33 AM

Sep 2013
That plot twist! I didn't expect that :O.
2DGirlsFeb 7, 2014 2:38 AM
"As you can see, being in a group brings no advantages to the individual. Thus, I choose to be the bear, a beast that refuses to form groups with others. It’s an animal of isolation that’s not at all worried about its solitary lifestyle. Let’s not forget that bears get to hibernate as well. Oh, what a wonderful existence. If I’m ever reincarnated, I most certainly would like to be reborn as a bear."
Feb 7, 2014 3:01 AM
Feb 2012
Ooh? Talk about an expected turn of events.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Feb 7, 2014 3:08 AM

Nov 2011
Ragyo is like Anime Lady Gaga, always dress so weird and strange.

Feb 7, 2014 3:28 AM

Oct 2008
animeoppai said:
I expected Satsuki to back stab her mother but not actually BACK STAB HER MOTHER.

When there's blood rain in KLK, shit hits the fan.
Feb 7, 2014 3:38 AM

Aug 2013
animeoppai said:
I expected Satsuki to back stab her mother but not actually BACK STAB HER MOTHER.

Haha that's what I was thinking. A backstab, literally. Satsuki betraying her mother isn't what surprised me. It's how she did it.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 7, 2014 3:39 AM

Jul 2013
This episode gave me Evangelion vibes, especially during the scene with the failed experiment
Feb 7, 2014 4:46 AM

Feb 2009
Woah, talk about unexpected plot twists.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Feb 7, 2014 6:19 AM

Jan 2014
The preview spoiled that Ragyou's still not dead, though. Rest of the episode was awesome, as always.
Feb 7, 2014 6:23 AM

Apr 2013
I am practically overdosing from the awesomeness of KLK!! Great show!! Can't wait to see what happens next!!

Feb 7, 2014 6:43 AM

Oct 2009
Satsuki and Ryuuko vs Ragyou? Interesting ^^
Feb 7, 2014 6:45 AM

Jul 2013
Couldn't Mikisugi be Ryuko's dad? Instead of her uncle? They really do look alike.
"Komugi, are you there?"

Feb 7, 2014 6:48 AM

Feb 2013
KaiserNazrin said:
Ragyo is like Anime Lady Gaga, always dress so weird and strange.

She's a slave to the fashion man.

Durbikins said:

Ah, that sucks, Mako is one of my favorite parts of the show. She's so pure, I mean everyone is 'pure' on their convictions in this show, but the way she approaches life is both hilarious and adorable. And she's Ryuko's rock.
Feb 7, 2014 7:25 AM

Oct 2008
Durbikins said:

https://24.media.tumblr.com/f5bbf1445b067c26d88cbe589d846fd9/tumblr_n0lx24k5Za1s2hq72o1_500.gif

Feb 7, 2014 7:29 AM

Sep 2012
ataxia_ said:

Ah, that sucks, Mako is one of my favorite parts of the show. She's so pure, I mean everyone is 'pure' on their convictions in this show, but the way she approaches life is both hilarious and adorable. And she's Ryuko's rock.
I kinda agree but at the same time she's very inappropriate and mood killing a LOT of the time.

She's the comic relief character that does her job at the wrong times.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Feb 7, 2014 7:31 AM

Jan 2008
BatStark said:
WOW

I didn't expect this.

Dat final twist

That's funny I expected this the first time it showed mother and daughter together. Didn't except the betrayal to be that damn brutal though.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
Feb 7, 2014 7:33 AM

Jul 2013
Now thats what we call perfect execution right there... I tottaly saw the rebellion coming but the way it was executed still made it awesome.

I was thinking before this episode how I liked satsuki more each new episode, and that I might even like her more than I like Ryuko.. Well now I have not a single doubt... Satsuki FTW
Feb 7, 2014 8:04 AM

Dec 2012
Yvese said:

Judging from the preview the mom isn't dead yet which is no surprise. Killing off the main villain that easily would be in poor taste, unless of course Mui was somehow working for someone else that was the true villain. Either way, it's good to see she wont go down without a fight.

There's nothing stating that Ragyo had to be the main villain. Killing her off and discovering that someone else had been pulling the strings would've been an OK direction to take
Feb 7, 2014 8:32 AM

May 2013
Awesome ep.
Feb 7, 2014 8:35 AM
Jul 2011
Satsuki rebellion was foreshadowed, just didn't expect the execution to be like that. Slinging your mom around on a sword is pretty brutal. I love how mindfuck Ryuko was when she saw that.

I wonder if Satsuki's father will be brought up again, besides the servant/butler (and Elite Four to a degree), he seems to be the only one she thinks of fondly.
Feb 7, 2014 9:10 AM

Feb 2011
Satsuki just pulled a Sith on her mother. I like it : )
Feb 7, 2014 9:25 AM

Sep 2013
The butler's apology was cute :)

The director's outfit was weird to say the least, her normal one looks better in my opinion.

:O Damn Satsuki just stabbed her mom.

So Satsuki is going to use life fibers to over throw life fibers and her mom?
Feb 7, 2014 10:09 AM

Jan 2013
Well now the ending of this ep surprised me. That doesn't often happen. Didn't see that one coming. I suspected she would rebel at some point but not like that so soon.
Feb 7, 2014 10:26 AM
Apr 2013
please tell me that im not the only one who didnt see the betrayal coming?!?!?!?!?
Feb 7, 2014 11:20 AM

Jul 2013
Da f*** at the ending scene, I didn't expect that to happen. Probably later episode would be epic.

Feb 7, 2014 11:29 AM

Dec 2012
Backstab was not something I expected to see though there were a lot of cues to this. I mean why else would Satsuki spare Ryuko so many times? Only realized it after the fact
Feb 7, 2014 11:41 AM

Feb 2011
Can't wait for next week's episode.
This one was so awesome, loved the mortal kombat style fatality there.

11/10

Feb 7, 2014 12:29 PM

Oct 2013
Brilliant.
Feb 7, 2014 12:41 PM

May 2012
I just saw stabbing someone behind the back in a whole new level! Damn, I have a feeling that Satsuki will betray her mother but that stab was really surprising. And omg, I think I just saw that little brother's "little" you-know-what!!! Haha.
Feb 7, 2014 1:31 PM
Sep 2013
DarkCyclone said:
Yvese said:

There's nothing stating that Ragyo had to be the main villain. Killing her off and discovering that someone else had been pulling the strings would've been an OK direction to take

would've been? that's still a path they can take and one I would prefer.

Even though this plot-twist isn't that difficult to see coming what made it good was how it was executed.
If this series really wants to do something unpredictable for me it would have to be something like Jakuzure backstabbing Satsuki and turning out to be the big bad with Nui as her second in command (Her animal is the Snake afterall).
Feb 7, 2014 1:39 PM

Jul 2013
THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL. Dem plot twists.. Holy shit that backstab was so brutal Ragyo was gurgling blood.

Was I the only one who thought "Kefka??!!" When Ragyo first appeared during the festival?
Feb 7, 2014 2:02 PM
Oct 2013
I'm the most interested in the roles that Ryuuko, Hououmaru, Nui, and Mataro will play in all this. I hope that Nui will end up being the final boss; we still don't really have any understanding of who or what she is.

What's with the spools of thread Ragyou has in the preview? Three yellow, one blue, one indigo, one violet. It's not a full rainbow, and it wouldn't correspond to any particular group of people.
Feb 7, 2014 2:03 PM

Dec 2011
Guys, I think Satsuki just made an extremely terrible mistake.

http://i62.tinypic.com/1zlcbjk.png
Feb 7, 2014 2:05 PM
Jul 2018
DEM PLOT TWISTS... alright i didn't expect that at ALL.
Can't wait for next episode. 4.3/5
Feb 7, 2014 2:11 PM

Nov 2010
Mako snoozing through most of it says enough about the dialogues
Her brother selling off his suite and coming to the stadium with body paint was genius and saved his life as well

Didn't expect Satsuki backstabbing her own mother for real
Feb 7, 2014 2:18 PM
Dec 2013
This is moment I've been waiting for since episode three, and it's going to keep getting better and better!

Feb 7, 2014 2:38 PM

Nov 2011
2 Trolls so Far trollface.jpg
Pages (10) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2013

368 by Nopillows25 »»
Apr 22, 7:39 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2013

447 by Nopillows25 »»
Apr 22, 7:17 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2013

392 by Nopillows25 »»
Apr 22, 7:17 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2013

878 by Nopillows25 »»
Apr 22, 7:16 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

BRSxIgnition - Mar 27, 2014

955 by NullZweiChan »»
Apr 14, 10:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.