Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 1, 2014 9:57 PM

Jan 2014
I'm a tomboy, I've done this. It was bliss to be treated like a man, to play rough and have a friendship with guys without them drolling over my breasts and stupid shit.

But I saw a lot of guys using female avatars, and as sexist as it sound (sorry about that) it really surprises me... Doesn't it hurt your male ego to wear a dress? (Never mind if you're gay or into cross dressing, I respect and even understand that, I mean hetero) Yes you get to see a cute picture of a girl, but that's what you show to the world, that's how you get treated!!! If you have the chance to be in that male gender, dominating the world and looking down on female as tools or things... born without having to endure the hardship of a freaking period and sexism... why would you want to use a female avatar... and be treated like glass or a air head by guys... well, maybe you'd enjoy being treated like a princess... It's hard to be a guy, a rock for everyone and stuff...

Well, my mind is open, teach me better.

It,s just that I want to be male so bad... even though I'm kinda both... and I met guys who looked down on girls so bad... It just surprise me.

Well, people into anime aren't typical... which is why I like it. But my brain refuses to compute XD
Lisa of Shades uploaded torrents as WolfPack at nyaa
Demotivational posters: Attack on Titan (SPOILERS, blood, sort of nudity)
*Insert wolf image here*
=°.°=
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 1, 2014 9:58 PM

Nov 2011
Its just an avatar.... :v
The Art of Eight
Feb 1, 2014 10:00 PM

Jan 2014
I have seen this quite often as well. But my thought process pretty much leans to: people are just getting more views by having a cute avatar/picture.
Feb 1, 2014 10:03 PM

Apr 2013
It's just a forum avatar.
BadLuckBeckyFeb 1, 2014 10:18 PM
an egomaniac and a fool

Feb 1, 2014 10:04 PM

Aug 2012
Hello 2014 users!

I see you're pointing out something people noticed since 2005!

In the meantime, go check out my profile and see how many people used my avatar for Melloween 2013!
Feb 1, 2014 10:05 PM
Jan 2013
Um... it's only an avatar. I'm still a 'manly man' in real life.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 1, 2014 10:06 PM

Aug 2012
Hulmy said:
A manly man that blushes in a panda pajama suit~
Feb 1, 2014 10:09 PM
I Hate My Son

Dec 2011
LisaOfShades said:

It,s just that I want to be male so bad...

It sounds to me like you have a lot more to be thinking about than forum avatars
Feb 1, 2014 10:09 PM

Dec 2012
LisaOfShades said:

But I saw a lot of guys using female avatars, and as sexist as it sound (sorry about that) it really surprises me...

You don't seem to get anime culture. Men show cute female avatars to show their fandom / attraction to them. It's like, instead of a picture to represent them self, they posted a poster of a swimsuit model. It's usually the objectification of women, as a sex object... So it's usually not a good thing. That said, not all female avatars by men are like that, but you can tell when it's very fan service.
How do people get to 2000 hours when I'm already this bored?
Feb 1, 2014 10:10 PM

Jul 2008
Daconator said:
I'm a guy, I like girls. I find them more attractive. I want a beautiful avatar. Hence, I use a female avatar.

I agree with this guy.
Cute things are cute. I'm a man who loves cute things.
Welcome to the internet.

dankickyou said:
Its just an avatar.... :v
Feb 1, 2014 10:10 PM
Jan 2013
MellowJello said:
Hulmy said:
A manly man that blushes in a panda pajama suit~

Isn't that what being a man is? Damn, I've been doing it wrong for months.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 1, 2014 10:11 PM

Jun 2012
i jst us e tha most kawaii-est avatar evr.
Feb 1, 2014 10:16 PM
May 2012
Yes it's just a avatar. i don't really care about the gender, this character just looks pretty good.
Feb 1, 2014 10:24 PM

Jan 2014
Daconator said:
I'm a guy, I like girls. I find them more attractive. I want a beautiful avatar. Hence, I use a female avatar.

And it's just an avatar, and this is just the internet. Not a big deal in my opinion.
"Find the twinkle in your smile, chase it on til' morning."
Feb 1, 2014 10:26 PM

Apr 2012
Have you ever heard of the concept of "role player"? This is similar to that.
bunny1ov3rFeb 1, 2014 10:36 PM
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Feb 1, 2014 10:27 PM

Jan 2014
Im a bear, so Thats IT
Feb 1, 2014 10:28 PM

Dec 2012
Tisks said:
Im a bear, so Thats IT

Wouldn't you be a stuffed lion..?
How do people get to 2000 hours when I'm already this bored?
Feb 1, 2014 10:39 PM

Sep 2012
I have both genders in my avatar, so I'm good.
Feb 1, 2014 10:41 PM

Jan 2014
Crimefridge said:
Wouldn't you be a stuffed lion..?

I want to be a lion, shhhh
Is a secret
Feb 1, 2014 10:54 PM

Jan 2011
How about people with no avatar? Should we treat them as nothing?
Feb 1, 2014 10:57 PM

Oct 2012
LisaOfShades said:
I'm a tomboy, I've done this. It was bliss to be treated like a man, to play rough and have a friendship with guys without them drolling over my breasts and stupid shit.

But I saw a lot of guys using female avatars, and as sexist as it sound (sorry about that) it really surprises me... Doesn't it hurt your male ego to wear a dress? (Never mind if you're gay or into cross dressing, I respect and even understand that, I mean hetero) Yes you get to see a cute picture of a girl, but that's what you show to the world, that's how you get treated!!! If you have the chance to be in that male gender, dominating the world and looking down on female as tools or things... born without having to endure the hardship of a freaking period and sexism... why would you want to use a female avatar... and be treated like glass or a air head by guys... well, maybe you'd enjoy being treated like a princess... It's hard to be a guy, a rock for everyone and stuff...

Well, my mind is open, teach me better.

It,s just that I want to be male so bad... even though I'm kinda both... and I met guys who looked down on girls so bad... It just surprise me.

Well, people into anime aren't typical... which is why I like it. But my brain refuses to compute XD
It sounds to me like guys whom you met don't necessarily look down on girls, but since you look down on yourself you probably felt that way.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 1, 2014 10:57 PM
Jul 2018
Daconator said:

Your avatar is beautiful.

I'm of the mindset that it's simply a picture & nothing more though. Just me, though!
Feb 1, 2014 11:00 PM

Oct 2012
would my avatar be considered a female also what difference does it make if the avatar is the opposite gender
RRRRRRRRRR
Feb 1, 2014 11:01 PM

Dec 2012
Just once. Just once I want to be a magical loli princess. Let me enjoy this bliss (well, if MAL ever updates my avatar, 4 months later).

If masochists want me to step on them and go full out himedere on them on that basis, that's their own game.
Feb 1, 2014 11:01 PM

Nov 2010
Ratohnhaketon said:
Just once. Just once I want to be a magical loli princess. Let me enjoy this bliss (well, if MAL ever updates my avatar, 4 months later).

If masochists want me to step on them and go full out himedere on them on that basis, that's their own game.
You change the extension?
Feb 1, 2014 11:03 PM

Dec 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

I'm not savvy on the terminology, what do you mean?
Feb 1, 2014 11:05 PM

May 2012
Just admit that you all want to be the little girl.
Feb 1, 2014 11:09 PM

Nov 2010
Ratohnhaketon said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

I'm not savvy on the terminology, what do you mean?
jpg, gif, png, whichever one the pic you're trying to upload is, upload it as one of the others and it should go through. But make sure the pic you're going to upload is the one you want to use for a while.

It's kind of like the site saves one extension for a while, so you can't just keep on switching pics that are the same extension as it will just revert to the one it has saved.
Feb 1, 2014 11:09 PM

Feb 2012
beavis2323 said:
would my avatar be considered a female also what difference does it make if the avatar is the opposite gender

So you're not a Daria fan?
Feb 1, 2014 11:25 PM

Feb 2010
Does the profile pic or avatar look like it's appealing to the opposite sex?
Yes-->Gender of character in the picture is opposite to that of the user
No--->Gender of character in the picture is the same as that of the user.

Thefollowingisintendedasajokeandnotmeanttobeusedseriously
Feb 1, 2014 11:37 PM

Sep 2013
In most cases, an avatar does not actually reflect anything about the user himself/herself. As blatantly stated before, it's really just a picture.

Not that I'd mind being a cute neko girl.
Feb 1, 2014 11:39 PM

Jan 2014
(It's too long, just search for your name)

No it's not just an avatar it's your virtual body!

Maybe guys change sex because there's not enough girls *ponders*

Wow MellowJello, there's a popularity contest and you won? It's my first time seeing you. I wasn't here in 2005.I was a guy myself then XD Oh yeah... I've seen some of those avatars but they looked different to me. Is Mellow avatars a genre, like gore avatars, or Mellow is the character? Did you invent her? I stopped watching new anime for a couple of years.

Thank you Daconator for this eloquent logic... but if you want a girl, you might want to use an effeminate guy instead or she'll think you're not into her, maybe?

Oh yeah Hulmy you look like a true demon lord with that panda XD

Yeah, MellowJello, right! *pokes you with her elbow laughing*

Well, everyone has an anima/animus. The opposite gender... since we all have a primal, rational and emotional brain... I guess I'm surprised that people are more open minded embracing more than just the narrow stereotype.

Yes, Okazaki93, if you saw my own website you'd faint at the length of my pages. I need a break with silly stuff now that I know how to be immortal, the meaning of life, and what the existence truly looks like.

Crimefridge, I adore your mushishi avatar! I couldn't think of anything more pathetic than someone obsessing over highly objectified fake women... but you pushed the limit of my mind: using one to represent who they are... misogynistic and no dignity... pathetic... Well, the people here use cuteness... at least.

-Kazu, whoa, that's a nice avatar in your profile... but how am I supposed to find a demon lord and worship him. Well, I already found one :P

Hulmy, you're hilarious. I'm open to petting friendship if you want to.

Daconator. Racist against the bunny guy? Why, because he use an american avatar in a japaneese themed site? It actually crossed my mind... but I saw worst. Or you meant he's black? XD Everytime I hear an opening with hip hop, I want to punch a black kitten XD I like rock!!! Gimme J-rock!!! I get my interests on the other site of the planet so they wouldn't be full of hip hop stuff... and it still... urg... I hate chocolate ice cream too. Meh, black people who like anime are alright!

MEanimaniac1, my ideal man is dark shneider from bastard, a terminator, the monster in attack of titan, or some tentacle monster demon... "tha most kawaii-est avatar evr" is just not doing it for me. But in all fairness, if half my soul is male, you have the right to be as girly as you want. Just try to keep your l33t talk away from my eyes because it claws them out.

Aerostar, I'm starting to think that men with men avatar are going to be hard to find XD

mallow45, wow a guy... nope female in the profile. Wow, no one wants to be a guy? I'LL BE! XD Come in my harem, bitches, I have a lot for you to worship!

bunny_lover... I know about RP... I'm a wolf *wags tail*

Tisks! I like you... comrade! Whatever you are! I actually like Kon in Ichigo's body. Freaking awesome.

Crimefridge, good point! Something felt odd, I was too tired to figure it out XD

Reverb_Shock, MWAHAHA! Both gender, I never thought of that! Awesome!

2 pages already? wow... this place is alive!

Tisks, I want to be a wolf... I think I'd actually want to have pups if I was a wolf...

ReaperCreeper, good point~ I'm a misanthrope... so thisis appealing to me XD Fantastic signature... what is the venom looking guy from... and Deathpool on a vespa (well, that thing, motocycle for stuck up people who want to sit as if it was a wheelchair... pussies... ride it like a horse!)... are you trying to kill my soul?

elite-sama, so people really do worship her enough to wear her avatar... wow... I wish someone could PLAY ROUGH WITH ME! PUNCH ME IN THE FACE AND DISEMBOWEL ME! and then strangle me with them and stuff~ Ah~~~~ yeah~~~~ I don't look down on myself. I've been assaulted 4 times in the same day, from grabbing my thigh with both hands to dragging me by the hairs... so don't try cheap psychology on me. I know what's up there and it's scary XD

Aylaine, it doesn't seem to be just you. I do like dark shneider, but... erm... maybe I should wear him. But that wolf represents me so damn well. It,s like "hello world, I have hypoglycemia, so expect me to jump at your face and eat it like a savage beast if I get hungry and you happen to pass by"

beavis2323, yeah yours confuse me *tilts head* well, I treated my friend like a delicate flower until I saw that he's a guy and then I started to rough him up. Was nicer to no longer need to hold back. Hm... I should ask him what he prefers...

Ratohnhaketon, I see the appeal... but I'd feel traumatized to go in the profile of a sweet girl to find a team of basketball guys... don't you people mate with online companions or something?

Objurgo, to reply your sig, yeah people have different opinion than my own, that's why I ask... and by the way, that's also why they are wrong XD Well, when it's about facts not preferences.

Nihilfist, finally a real evil man! And your profile says you're gay XD Hilarious irony. I think my issue with guys in frilly dresses... is that I'm kind of a psychopath and I'm affraid that cute lil thing can't possibly handle being friend with me... so I can't relate... and I feel lonely.

IntroverTurtle, that's a weird bug. Thankfully I got my avatar up just fine... I think I edited it... or maybe not here...

DoctorDoom, finally another demon person ^_^ Hm... I guess it may not be the lack of manliness but the lack of psycho-ness.

That's great, there's evil people here after all :D I crave evil~~~

Akito_Kinomoto, that's funny!It,s true, girls probably won't use sexy girls. I guess it takes a real fucked up guy to use a demon guy... Nye~ *blushes*<3

Forgetfulness, maybe I'm th only female here O_o Or maybe I should turn into a guy. Or maybe not I'm more aggressive that way...

FrostbyteDOT, nothing is ever "just" anything. Everything has meaning. And I could learn a lot about you, what you like, your beliefs, personality... by knowing about the character you choose among countless ones.
LisaOfShadesFeb 1, 2014 11:44 PM
*Insert wolf image here*
=°.°=
Feb 1, 2014 11:44 PM

Oct 2012
LisaOfShades said:

beavis2323, yeah yours confuse me *tilts head* well, I treated my friend like a delicate flower until I saw that he's a guy and then I started to rough him up. Was nicer to no longer need to hold back. Hm... I should ask him what he prefers...

uh why are you no longer nice to your friend

DoctorDoom said:

i am a fan of Daria
RRRRRRRRRR
Feb 1, 2014 11:49 PM

Jan 2011
LisaOfShades said:

ReaperCreeper, good point~ I'm a misanthrope... so thisis appealing to me XD Fantastic signature... what is the venom looking guy from... and Deadpool on a vespa (well, that thing, motocycle for stuck up people who want to sit as if it was a wheelchair... pussies... ride it like a horse!)... are you trying to kill my soul?

It's Todd Ingram from Scott Pilgrim.
Feb 1, 2014 11:51 PM

Jan 2014
beavis2323 said:
uh why are you no longer nice to your friend

I'm nice in a different way. Before I looked up to her as the sweet mother that I wish I had, then when he told me about being a guy, and having so much darkness inside, I unleashed my dark male side and stopped being so polite. But yeah... maybe he liked it better before.

It's nice how we can become who we want to be online. But I don't think an avatar is a place to hang a poster that you like (and I covered my kitchen floor and bathroom's ceiling with them)... it's your face! It becomes you... It's the first impression. If you had to resume yourself in one word, that would be the avatar... Maybe people don't view it as important... but it still tell a lot about them, about what they love and wish to be. I guess I was surprised that I'm not the only one who don't want to be bound by my own gender stereotype... but I didn't expect so many people... and especially not guys. Maybe it was just a too powerful desire to see women even in the mirror... (I bet many would like to switch like Ranma to play with themselves...) but still... It's breaking stereotypes.

I still wish to meet evil people! Where can I find one?
*Insert wolf image here*
=°.°=
Feb 1, 2014 11:53 PM

Oct 2012
LisaOfShades said:
elite-sama, so people really do worship her enough to wear her avatar... wow... I wish someone could PLAY ROUGH WITH ME! PUNCH ME IN THE FACE AND DISEMBOWEL ME! and then strangle me with them and stuff~ Ah~~~~ yeah~~~~ I don't look down on myself. I've been assaulted 4 times in the same day, from grabbing my thigh with both hands to dragging me by the hairs... so don't try cheap psychology on me. I know what's up there and it's scary XD
Yeah, thanks for proving my point. Ugh. So many pity-fiends on MAL these days.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 1, 2014 11:53 PM

Feb 2012
LisaOfShades said:

DoctorDoom, finally another demon person ^_^ Hm... I guess it may not be the lack of manliness but the lack of psycho-ness.

That's no demon ma'am, it's Batman.

beavis2323 said:

DoctorDoom said:

i am a fan of Daria

Okay good, I thought you just found that avatar and had no idea what gender the character in it was.
Feb 1, 2014 11:54 PM

Jul 2012
I typically avoid having a female as an avatar (at least if its an avatar of a human anyways. I don't care so much if its some other creature), however I feel like an avatar could represent someone in some other manner. Admittedly avatars play a part in what gender I assume someone is, which is silly I know, however who's in the avatar could help give an idea of what someone's personality is like. Its more than just gender. At the same time, avatars are just, in the end, avatars. Most people aren't going to treat someone worse because of their avatar.
LisaOfShades said:

If you have the chance to be in that male gender, dominating the world and looking down on female as tools or things... born without having to endure the hardship of a freaking period and sexism... why would you want to use a female avatar... and be treated like glass or a air head by guys... well, maybe you'd enjoy being treated like a princess...
Umm.....People can (and sometimes are) sexist towards guys too....And guys don't really dominate the world all that much, and I seriously doubt most guys look down on women, so I don't think that's really an issue....
In any case, as I said, I believe in most cases people don't treat each other worse because of avatars, so no worries. An avatar is just a picture, after all. It can be more, but in the end that's all it is.
Feb 1, 2014 11:57 PM

Dec 2012
@ Introvert - thanks for that, will try it out when I can think of a good replacement pic.

LisaOfShades said:

Ratohnhaketon, I see the appeal... but I'd feel traumatized to go in the profile of a sweet girl to find a team of basketball guys... don't you people mate with online companions or something?

Well damn, you went to town with the replies. What's not to love about the contrast between a fair maiden tainted only by the captivity of the image she's in and five manly man, alpha male basketball studs from the 90s?

I think you're just trying to avoid the real problem here - your avatar is a subtle and subliminal awakening to your inner urges for bestiality. I understand it's a fairly popular idea these days, what with so many girls fawning over the half naked beast children from Twilight, but I must implore you to resist temptation and maintain humanity.
Feb 2, 2014 12:09 AM

Jan 2014
It's a picture.

LuckyKotori said:
He even rated Bible Black higher than Fate/Zero.
Feb 2, 2014 12:10 AM

Mar 2009
Y'all thinkin' a little too much about the meaning of avatars.

Might aswell post your real picture if you want to have an avatar that "represents yourself".
Feb 2, 2014 12:10 AM

Nov 2013
I've yet to seen a male character who has captured my interest (to a level where I would use them as an avatar). Of course there's been many male characters I've liked such as the all the male casts of Beck, Okabe from Steins;Gate and Hideki from Chobits(off the top of my head). I've never really felt attached to the characters, maybe because of the lack of uniqueness in each character (which includes character design and personality).

As for the dominance thing, I don't care how I portray and represent myself on the internet. If people want to construct my character (appearance, personality) through my liking of cute anime (Hagimura Suzu, K-on!, Teekyuu etc) then go ahead.
BurenaiFeb 2, 2014 12:16 AM
Feb 2, 2014 12:11 AM
Jul 2018
LisaOfShades said:
(It's too long, just search for your name)

I see. Isn't your avatar Blue from Wolf's Rain? It has been sometime since I visited that adventure, but the resemblance is uncanny. If so, are you similar to Blue at all?
Feb 2, 2014 12:18 AM

Apr 2011
Over the last 4 months, I changed my avatar around 6 times and all of those were to female characters. That was mostly so that it will go with my username, which is the combination of the names of two female characters. My current one is of Jordan Henderson of Liverpool FC, one of the rising stars of the team that I support. At the end of the day, all that remains is a simple picture. Nothing more, nothing less.

LisaOfShades said:

"Her"?
Feb 2, 2014 12:21 AM

Nov 2012
I think the Mr in my username neutralizes the effect
of people thinking im a Girl cause of my Avatar.

Im a Devil's advocate. Its just too fun.
Running on borrowed time.

Feb 2, 2014 12:24 AM

Jan 2014
Well this is awkward. Um...what does a guy having a demon for an avatar say about him then?
We are the Keepers of the Chair. Within each of us flows his blood but more importantly his soul!
Feb 2, 2014 12:24 AM

Sep 2012
I just put characters I like as my avatars and profile pics. I think that Ikaros looks hilarious in this pic so I put it as my avatar and have been too lazy to change it.
A match made in heaven set the fires in hell
Feb 2, 2014 12:38 AM

Feb 2013
I've never been more confused in my entire life. An avatar is an avatar. I'm a girl, but my avatar is a boy (a trap, to be specific). You're overthinking the point of avatars.

Also, you mentioned you want to be a boy... this seems like a little more than just avatars, tbh.
Feb 2, 2014 12:56 AM

May 2010
I generally just pick avatars of characters I like the most.

Sometimes that's Phoenix Wright. A good and honest man with a talent for the ridiculous.
Sometimes that's Valvatorez. A ridiculous tyrannical demon who won't ever break a promise.
Sometimes that's Noel Kreiss. An intellectual and emotional hero who would rewrite history to save a friend, yet refuse to take a life.

Sometimes it's Konata. A perverted gamer who only has a job to buy video games and otherwise sits on her ass all day playing said games or watching anime.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you believe that scientific theory are just a theory and scientific consensus are just opinions?

deg - May 3

18 by Eleben »»
17 minutes ago

» Are you aware of these Japanese memes?

Kiryotsu - 5 hours ago

2 by Eleben »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » How will things look in 40 - 50 years?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 7

42 by Eleben »»
19 minutes ago

» Favorite MAL thread maker?

barababas - 4 hours ago

8 by Eleben »»
21 minutes ago

» Do you use old technology? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RobertBobert - Aug 23, 2022

246 by D_D_DJ »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.