Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (24) « First ... « 14 15 [16] 17 18 » ... Last »
Mar 18, 2011 3:49 PM

Jan 2011
MaedhrostheTall said:
I am SOOOO confused with this alternate reality/universe bull. SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED. so did little Ushio die? or what? is her dying the last shot of Clannad's story?

Ushio dies in Ep21.
In Ep22 Tomoya is given a second chance at meeting Nagisa, since she died he has convinced himself that if she had only never met him, she would still be alive.
So he has to decide whether the times they experienced with all of their friends are worth the grief of losing her, twice.
In the end he finally decides that being with her, even if only for that short amount of time, is worth all the suffering he had to endure. And because of that the lightorbs grant him his wish and save Nagisa and they all survive.

The ending sequence is Ushio sleeping in the forest, meeting Fuko and Nagisa calling out to all of them.
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Mar 18, 2011 4:39 PM
Feb 2011
Vinter said:
MaedhrostheTall said:
I am SOOOO confused with this alternate reality/universe bull. SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED. so did little Ushio die? or what? is her dying the last shot of Clannad's story?

Ushio dies in Ep21.
In Ep22 Tomoya is given a second chance at meeting Nagisa, since she died he has convinced himself that if she had only never met him, she would still be alive.
So he has to decide whether the times they experienced with all of their friends are worth the grief of losing her, twice.
In the end he finally decides that being with her, even if only for that short amount of time, is worth all the suffering he had to endure. And because of that the lightorbs grant him his wish and save Nagisa and they all survive.

The ending sequence is Ushio sleeping in the forest, meeting Fuko and Nagisa calling out to all of them.

Ok, so is there then any relation between that blonde boy that was talking about one wish for the dorm lady and this incident of granting a wish for Tomoya?

also can you explain Fuko to me? was she a ghost in the original clannad?? if so then how could they touch her anytime they wanted to? what was so bad about her disappearing in the fuko arc of the original clannad?
Mar 18, 2011 10:11 PM

Jan 2011

The blonde boy was the cat. Because of the wish of his previous owner he took human form in order to grant a wish of the dorm lady.
She wished for him to always be with her, which he was, as a cat. Sort of really sadface.
The relation to Tomoya is that the glowing spheres that grant wishes are from the other world.

Fuko was not a ghost since she wasn't dead. She was more of a astral projection, or spiritual manifestation of her wish for her sister to be happy.
Well the bad thing about her disappearing was that they would forget about her, it would be like she never existed. Thats naturally sad because when someone isn't around all you have are your memories.
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Apr 20, 2011 9:22 AM

Feb 2009
I am kinda disappointed with this episode... it was like a reset, restart, restore... Anyway it was still a fantastic ride, and one of the most real and felt anime I've seen.
Apr 25, 2011 2:30 PM
May 2009
This ending sort of spoiled it for me. I feel like they should have omitted the "other-world" fantasy aspect of it. It undid all the accomplishments witnessed in 17 and 18 and just cheapened the overall experience. Seriously, this was a terrific anime, but it really should have ended on episode 18. Just my opinion, though.
Apr 26, 2011 2:26 AM

Sep 2008
Well, at least the Big Dango Family song was not as atrocious with everyone singing the same first phrase. The series was still great even in dub, well there are a few more episodes, but I know the overall feel will not be diminished.

Now to wait for 1080p for a another run through.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 3, 2011 2:01 PM

Aug 2009
Jesus tittyfucking cracksmoking Christ Fuko is annoying.
It took me half an hour to go through her part at the end. Bitch needs to shut the fuck up once in a while.

Series should've ended at episode 20.
May 4, 2011 1:35 PM

May 2007
andrew_v17 said:

I was especially pleased with the girl and the robot part because I have always been so curious about what all that was about. And the whole alternate world thing was foreshadowed from the very beginning, I don't know why some people seem disappointed, it was hinted at from the girl and robot, and also from Ichinose's parent's research.

Because those people wanted a nihilistic and tragic ending and are repulsed to the intended message of miracles and hope. You can't even call that a deus ex machina since as you said, it was hinted from the very beginning of the series and brought about very often. I believe that the main problem here is that those claiming that this episode ruined the whole series consider anything supernatural (what others here called pejoratively "fantasy") in real life as anything more than imagination or inventions and thus there is no surprise that they are also offended by it when they watched the series. As I have seen many times in anime, most Japanese people don't have that nihilistic and existentialist attitude, so this is another example of a culture difference where Westerners had a whole different way of seeing the world and got offended by the "ridiculous display of fantasy" in such a "realist" anime.
Others that got angry with this episode are simply elitists and pretentious people who have the unrealistic expectation that all anime series in existence must be some kind of works of art and thus must conform with high-brow culture delineations and requirements. If you follow this line of thought, you'll notice that in the mainstay of canon literature tragedy is highly regarded and "happy endings" are heavily looked down upon thus it's no surprise that people wanting to have a "critical" taste would express their repulsion at the thought of this (mostly) tragic series having a "happy" closure.
May 5, 2011 3:16 PM

Mar 2010
Ok, I read through some of the posts so that I understood why Nagisa was alive and things ended happily

My problem isn't that the anime ended on a Cinderalla note...no, this is not my issue at all, their are threads and foreshadowing clues that can make the supernatural in this series acceptable...

My issue is that all the character development of Tomoya went down the drain and invalidated everything from when Nagisa dies to ep 21. The man was broken and bitter and had to pick himself up, and honestly, it was beautifully written, cartoon or not.

Tomoya accepting Nagisa's death, forgiving his father and cherishing his daughter were massive character developments and were simply erased. It made all these feelings go right down the drain, and Tomoya, while happier with his second chance, is now a shallower, less fleshed out character in a world where Nagisa lived.

Honestly, the wish should have been that Ushio lives and doesn't have to live with the illness, instead, they really messed up and made all his struggles for nothing

After story was still great, a 9 from me. Clannad 1 was pretty garbage, but necessary in order to be impacted so deeply by After Story. After Story was pretty awful until they stopped focusing on the highschool bullshit

The only anime climax more touching than this series was Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Arcade_fire87May 5, 2011 3:28 PM
May 5, 2011 3:26 PM

Jun 2009
I may be wrong, but it seems as though Tomoya never forgot anything what so ever. My evidence for that conclusion is that he, in the next episode I believe, recounts the events throughout the story. So, no, I don't think his development is lost in any way.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 5, 2011 3:31 PM

Mar 2010
insan3soldiern said:
I may be wrong, but it seems as though Tomoya never forgot anything what so ever. My evidence for that conclusion is that he, in the next episode I believe, recounts the events throughout the story. So, no, I don't think his development is lost in any way.

What, like when he goes to hug her? I didn't get that impression, it seemed like a fantasy setting where he was being tested, because it goes straight back to the scene of where Nagisa dies and picks up from there
May 5, 2011 3:34 PM

Mar 2010
And actually,he wished for Nagisa to live through the birth...

But doesn't this mean that Ushio has an even more severe illness than Nagisa?

Honestly, the ending was pretty awful, it would have been far more effective to have Ushio saved as Tomoya is begging for his daughter to live as she's dying in his arms.
May 5, 2011 4:29 PM

Jun 2009
When I said next episode, I meant the recap episode right after this. I can only imagine not many people watched it, but he gives a very accurate description of the events throughout the series.

But, I'm not going to argue the ending for this series as I've frankly grown sick and tired of it.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 11, 2011 3:49 PM

Nov 2009
WOAH! this episode explained alot!!! so Tomoya was the robot and Ushio was the girl?! WOW!!! and YAY Nagisa's ALIVE!!! that made me really happy! it was cool 2 see the other world become completely destroyed have Tomoya remember everything and then see lights outside! it's cool 2 see how every1 has a great life... it would have been cool 2 have Ryou deliver Ushio cuz she looked like a nurse... but the home birth thing was still pretty awesome... that bath looked really hot! lol Fuko is so funny! i love everything about her! and it's amazing how she saw Ushio that far... and i loved that it showed the other world girl b4 Ushio was shown... haha i love how she made her "saying I" sound didnt X'D and how she made her sister start over with the conversation alot... anyway this was a great episode! it explained alot!
Jun 3, 2011 11:09 AM

Mar 2011
Ah! That was a bit like the writers/producers saying 'thank you for your hard work in watching this emotional roller coaster, here is a scene of the family together'

Tomoya got his wish because he'd done the right thing and seen it through. Nagisa and Ushio were resurrected and (presumably) the other world was destroyed!
Jun 10, 2011 1:26 AM
Jul 2010
I was left with mixed feelings about the ending. And I feel like I need to write a bit about it so I can organize my own ideas.

Simple things first, the execution of the episode was amazing in the first half, and the scene where Tomoya meets Nagisa "for the first time" once again and decides that after all, meeting her was worth all the suffering made me tear up. As for the second half, I was a bit disappointed to seeing a lot of Fuko because while she's a funny character, so much screen time was unnecessary when it could have been used to show more of Tomoya, Nagisa and Ushio as a happy family. But that's nothing more than a minor complaint.

Now, about the ending itself... I never thought I'd need to reflect this much to actually understand it. Or at least some of it. Tomoya and Ushio were the robot and the girl of the illusionary world. My take on it is that that Ushio (who states she "is" that world, created it to be able to give a "happy ending" to her dad). The lights of the IL are the same type of lights from the city legend Yukine told Tomoya about, the embodiment of people's happiness which can grant wishes. While helping people, Tomoya collected the lights and that allowed him to save Nagisa. What I don't completely get is whether he had been collecting the lights all that time and only realized that once in the illusionary world as a robot (since he seemed to die along with Ushio in the end of episode 21?), which allowed him to make the wish that Nagisa had never died, "reloading" things from the point of Ushio's birth or if he never had the required lights in the first place, and he ended up pushing a full reset button, which restarted things from the day he met Nagisa. If it's the later option, it would have explained the deja-vu he got from Nagisa'a play in the first season. The one about the IL. On the other end, it would mean the anime had been jumping between timelines/parallel worlds the whole time, starting in the first season. That makes me a whole lot confused and no matter how much thought I give it, I feel like I'm missing some pieces. (Note that this is just a random mumbling from a anime-only viewer, thus this bunch of speculation could be entirely wrong as I haven't read the VN which could probably provide me the "missing pieces" I referred earlier.)

Anyway, even though everything about the connections with illusionary world and even the reset was properly foreshadowed throughout both seasons, the ending felt a bit "cheap" for me. Not because of the supernatural aspects though, which have been present in the entire show (though in lesser doses than in this episode), nor because it was a happy one (since I was truly wishing for a happy ending after all Tomoya had been through), but because I felt like all the development Tomoya went through went down the drain since everything from episode 16 onwards was simply erased. Even if Tomoya remembers (which he does, as shown in episode 24), those memories will eventually seem surreal and will be overshadowed by the happy alternate turn of events. Besides, even if he remembers, nobody else does. I don't know but I can't conform myself with that. I'd rather the wish had been just to save Ushio and cure her of her disease, not implying a time reset and letting Tomoya have a happy life as a single father after accepting the sad things that had happened and moving on. He did accept those as shown in the hill scene, but he ended up having a second chance. It's not that he doesn't deserve it - he totally does! But I just don't like the way things turned out. Even though I loved to see those three together as a family.

The moral ended up being something along the lines of "Making other happy will give you the greatest happiness." but I would have preferred the one they had been building up for so long: "Despite all the sad things that may happen, you can still find your happiness if you try." I didn't dislike the ending, I thought it was beautiful actually, but I didn't love it either.

As for After Story as a whole, it's one of the best and most emotionally gripping stories I've watched. Seeing Tomoya go from a delinquent, good for nothing student into a caring person, a fine and hardworking man and a dedicated father was something that flew beyond my expectations. Despite the ending, I still award this series a 10/10. It has earned a place in my heart and in my favorites.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jun 20, 2011 8:38 PM
Jun 2011
I really disliked how they decided to end the series. For the few episodes after we see Nagisa die we are thrown into an emotional roller coaster, and then finally once the the final loop hits and their daughter dies it’s like the director lost his balls and said “no, lets not do that to them lets give it a cheesy fantasy it was a dream ending.” I was pretty disappointed in how they took the easy way out and made the viewer feel like you wasted your time watching the last 4-5 episodes. I can’t stand those “illusion” endings. They make the story get to a point where it’s so bad that there’s no way out and they conveniently end it with one of those “it never happened” scenario’s.

I had a lot of respect for the Clannad being that it was a more serious anime taking up on some serious subject matter and then going for the wish upon a star ending. Really was a slap in the face to people that have to deal with those issues and can’t wish upon some glowing orbs. If they wanted to make the anime realistic they should of kept it as Oshui (spelling) dying and have Toyoma either become stronger from it all and taking the chance to start a new life for himself away from “That” town that he hated so much or have him fall into a deep depression that Kyou rescues him out of and he gets to restart his life again and moving on by eventually falling in love with and later having a family with her (after all he took things rather fast with Nagisa them both being kids)., or a dark ending where Tomoya losses himself after seeing his daughter die and he commits suicide to join them both together in the after life (most realistic).

The truth stands that from the events that occurred any realistic ending would not be pretty but the rainbow and sunshine ending completely train wrecks the series and seems so out of place for such a serious anime.

I also never got the robot and the girl story. How does Oshuio (spelling) exist there? Is that world set far in the future? How can Nagisa know the story about her daughter that hasn't even been born yet? Is the story of Nagisa and Tomoya in the future? I'm sorry I'm just not biting the alternate world BS. Too many plot holes and too much fantasy. The story of the "Ended World" was fantastic until they tried to make sense of it. If it's a world made out of hope and dreams and Oshuio is the world itself than that means the world exist because it was Nagisa's hope for a child but, how can she dream about a child she had with a boy she didn't even know? She knew the story before she knew Toyoma apparantly. Sheesh this story really had a terribly bad ending.
Jul 5, 2011 3:12 AM

Feb 2011
I'm pretty sure I have commented here before, but its worth saying twice. Friggin' most epic pieces of work I have ever encountered in ma whole life. This makes me glad I'm into anime in the first place. Just wow.

Anyhow, I am in desperate need of that song that plays when the robot and the girl disappears and Tomoya gives Nagisa the biggest hug of all time.

Please help, that song almost made those scenes possible, the name? I'm pretty sure its just a different version of Nagisa's theme song but can't find it. Any suggestions?
Jul 12, 2011 5:55 AM

Sep 2008
Wtf, I didn't really know what to expect from the ending, but it sure as hell wasn't this. I have not played the VN so this made absolutely no sense at all when I first watched it. Magical light orbs that were impossible to notice unless you've played the VN magically fixes everything. Seriously?

I think After Story would have been much better if after Nagisa died they focused on Tomoya and Ushio, dealing with the sorrow of losing Nagisa and finally overcoming it in the end and realize that they can still be happy together, or something like that. Kinda like they did, but ending it there. That would still be a happy ending, but it would feel less pointless. Or at least explain the current ending better, like at least show the significance of the light orbs more in the show or something. This just felt way too random and pointless.

The way I understand it, the light orbs are given to Tomoya whenever he makes someone else happy, and as a reward for that he is himself granted happiness when he has collected a certain number of them? I'm sure that makes sense in the VN where there are many different routes and endings, and where the option to scream out to Nagisa instead of ignoring her unlocks when you have the orbs. But since I haven't played the VN I didn't even notice any orbs, and if I hadn't read about the VN I would probably never had understood that there actually were any magic orbs at all and what they signified. Also wasn't too fond of the illusionary world.

Still, the show had its great moments and as a whole it was ok, but unfortunately for every awesome episode there was a crappy one as well, and the ending was a bit of a disappointment. I loved the music and art in it though.
Jul 17, 2011 3:11 PM

Dec 2008
metalheart said:
This ending sort of spoiled it for me. I feel like they should have omitted the "other-world" fantasy aspect of it. It undid all the accomplishments witnessed in 17 and 18 and just cheapened the overall experience. Seriously, this was a terrific anime, but it really should have ended on episode 18. Just my opinion, though.

THIS

epi 18 is the true ending..
Jul 19, 2011 10:09 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'm a bit underwhelmed. I don't like the whole 'restart' angle, specially since it negates the character development that Tomoya had after living with his daughter. Particularly the understanding of his father's difficult life.

And I really don't get the point of giving so much screen time to Fuu at the end. What's the point? I'd much rather have a more in depth look at the lives of the others.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 22, 2011 7:44 PM

Jul 2011
Anyone know what KEY is working on now? I loved Clannad and Kanon and Air was good too.I heard of other stuff by them,but anything like these 3? I liked and hated the ending it should have ended either at 18 or like this with an older ushio OVA just my opinion. this is still my favorite anime and I will cherish it forever. dango...daikazoku...

Changed my sig without knowing bbcode was down. Wahhh D:
Jul 22, 2011 10:39 PM
Dec 2007
FlipWhatTheZip said:
Anyone know what KEY is working on now? I loved Clannad and Kanon and Air was good too.I heard of other stuff by them,but anything like these 3? I liked and hated the ending it should have ended either at 18 or like this with an older ushio OVA just my opinion. this is still my favorite anime and I will cherish it forever. dango...daikazoku...
Key made Tomoyo After, Little Busters! and Kud Wafter after Clannad (they made a cellphone novel too but I forget the name). The last game they released about a month ago was Rewrite. That said, Maeda Jun officially stepped down from writing game scenarios after Little Busters/Kud Wafter and the last game's story was a collaboration between Key's Yūto Tonokawa (Little Busters!), Ryukishi07 (When They Cry) and Romeo Tanaka (Cross Channel). So you can expect a difference in the feel of the story.

If you want to see Maeda's last scenario work it's actually the Angel Beats! anime.

Jul 26, 2011 9:10 PM

Jul 2011
Marzan said:
I'm a bit underwhelmed. I don't like the whole 'restart' angle, specially since it negates the character development that Tomoya had after living with his daughter. Particularly the understanding of his father's difficult life.

And I really don't get the point of giving so much screen time to Fuu at the end. What's the point? I'd much rather have a more in depth look at the lives of the others.
I totally agree with the character development for Ushio but i still like how he got to see nagisa survive, it would be cool if once ushio reaches the age when time turned back her memories would return while nagisa was alive and then she would realize how important it is that she survived.
Jul 31, 2011 5:42 PM

Jan 2011
A lot of people are dissapointed by the ending - as if it is some DEUS-EX plot device.

The fantasy element has been fed to you from S1, a lot of arcs reference this to you (e.g. Kotomis arc, arc where he forgives his dad, arc regarding those gangs and they talk about light, the constant mysterious girl in another world).

I think it did it beautifully, having it end with 2 of them dead - then him being forever alone - would have been VERY out of place - the way the anime went. It had to have an ending like this, or the whole anime would make no sense.

Anyone watched AnoHana? If Menma suddenly came back to life - now that would be equal to what would be a really out of place ending.
Aug 3, 2011 12:11 AM
Mar 2011
Check out this link for a possible explanation for whatever happened.

http://tstorm.bwys.org/2009/03/clannad-after-story-17-22/
Aug 11, 2011 5:58 PM
Jul 2010
Saralonde said:
Check out this link for a possible explanation for whatever happened.

http://tstorm.bwys.org/2009/03/clannad-after-story-17-22/

Thanks for the link, that's very interesting (especially this comment). Clannad is a masterpiece, I can't say anything else.
KrayzelAug 11, 2011 7:01 PM
Aug 11, 2011 6:13 PM

Aug 2011
Marzan said:

the thing is tomoya still went through those events, this wasnt a reset button he went to a different world, so on the depressing side theres a nagis adn ushio that will never see tomoya in heaven now,
Aug 16, 2011 7:14 AM

Sep 2008
Finished rewatching the series.

Opinion unchanged.
Sep 25, 2011 4:34 PM

Jan 2008
Sigh. Where to start?

First of all : I can't believe they pulled a "Phew, All a dream!"/ Time Travel / Alternate Universe, so it didn't technically happen (or not happen) / Deus Ex Machina / Chekhov's Gun - Ending...
(Yeah, and whichever of these you deem the "accurate" description only depends on what flow chart you want to believe in. Yay. =D) All of these devices are pretty weak themselves in most (!) cases.

I can say that I'm not against happy endings. If they're pulled off decently, there's nothing to complain about. However, Clannad didn't do this properly - in my opinion.

No, dear defenders of the ending, I did not find it fun to see Nagisa die, and even less to see Ushio pass away. Still : if you let people die - let them stay dead! Or else we're talking DragonBalls here, aren't we?

As to the light orbs...
Yes, I understand they were in the novel. But this was an anime!! I (personally) do not expect from the anime to play out like a VN, where you got a save game and collect some coins/points/light bulbs on the way and start all over...I fail to see the merit in including this. I believe, you have to settle on one way to depict things and then deal with it.
But no, Clannad apparently wanted to go down two roads at the same time : tragic end and happy end - two things which each, I believe, exclude the use of the respective other are mashed together. Why? So we can have some of both? I don't know. I could have well lived with a happy end - but please just one.

Yes, I understand the whole purpose of collecting them, and that they "turned the tables" in the end. This doesn't make the device good for me though.
I agree that they have been alluded to throughout the series, but that was neither very clear nor was it for any other reason than magically turning the bad into a good ending. And I can only remember 2-3 light balls actually appearing somewhere around Tomoyo after he had brought someone happiness. I do not deny that this might have been my lack of attention, who knows.

Whatever other posters (and apparently mainly the VN-Readers) say, After Story has been so appealing to me because of its realistic parts. Now some say "there have been talking robots, so why expect realism?" but this is not the impression I got. (I was matchingly surprised about the reincarnated cat arc, believe me.)
The scenes that touched me were all (as) realistic (as anime standards allow) - and most of all, that was the part of Tomoya struggling over Nagisa's death and pulling himself together to be a good father for Ushio. This was pretty much negated when we did the time travel / universe swap / whatever. I came to like how Tomoya dealt with a heavy blow of life, got over it because he learned there are other things that are worth living for and recognising his responsibility for Ushio. He learned from his mistakes, understood the feelings of other people and grew into a fleshed out and likeable character.
And then - bam! - magical lights grant a new playthrou-- I mean, rewind time or what you'd like to call it and everything's not even fine. No, it's super duper great, with everyone living happily.
Yes, "he collected that light ball from his father, which only made the whole thing possible", I know I know, but whether he remembers or not what he went through and made him a stronger person, is very much open for debate. Saying that he remembers actually even sounds like a way to dodge the "negation of character development" argument - and only that - because the reasoning for that would have to be pretty solid to explain why he remembers certain things but others (Fuko) not.
(I still think time travel is the weirdest explanation and creating more problems than it actually solves, but that's just my take on it.)

I myself felt utterly betrayed, dead people coming back to life is just...never right and it's basically toying with emotions which I don't like.

I was absolutely content with the way After Story was working before that - it was tear-jerking and emotional and did almost everything right (in my view). I saw the Other World mostly as a metaphor, that's the way it appeared to me, so for me, AS was dealing with realistic problems and struggles (at least as far as Tomoya concerns - human cats and gang fights not included). So the magic ending did not only negate the dramatic climax that had been built up before that, but it also presented itself as quite random - too random - for my taste. It's just...TOO much fantasy in the end of a show that was not that fantastical most of the time.

This episode just seemed to practically force the happy ending in because--- you know, they deserve it and the viewers want it. Hum. For me, a satisfying ending would have involved saving Ushio and her and Tomoya living together, with and for each other, appreciating the strength they have gained from everything.
Apart from the ending, AS has emotionally touched me a lot – and even more than I had expected.

On a side note, Fuko was absolutely destroying the pacing of the episode. It's also utterly ridiculous people are called "elitists and pretentious" because they criticize the ending. Get a grip, and that fast!
SaorinSep 25, 2011 4:47 PM

Sep 26, 2011 6:00 AM

Nov 2010
I just got finished Clannad and After Story in just two days, So that makes it 24 episodes per day ^_^.

Oh man i wished that i should have watch this amazing anime a long time ago, damn it i wasted 2 years of not watching it! For the reason i dont watch it back then is because i saw my little sister cried on this anime i thought that it was just her being a little sissy.
Oct 14, 2011 9:34 AM
Sep 2011
i think the saddest part of clannad would be for Aki and sanae after tomoya and ushio died....i mean, they have NOTHING left, and to find tomoya and ushio dead on the street wouldve absolutely crushed them....

if tomoyas consciousness merely jumped to an alternate universe where nagisa didnt die, then that would be so sad for akio and sanae stuck in the other universe.....
Nov 22, 2011 8:52 PM

Oct 2011
This (22nd) episode was the one where it should've ended. No more Fuko, no recaps. I know the reference, but that 23rd episode kinda ruined my feeling for this anime.
Nov 26, 2011 6:13 PM

Dec 2008
Ok I was honestly confused at the whole ending but after reading some sources I think I have an outline.

-Ushio and Tomoya 'died'
-They were Reincarnated as girl and robot in the other world.
-Girl sends Tomoya back in time as that world ends
-Tomoya is back where her first met Nagisa and reunites with her.
-Because he granted so much good deeds, the wish orbs grant his wish by having Nagisa survive the pregnancy.
-Tomoya and family have Happily ever after.

Though the final act with Fuko stumps me. What was Ushio doing by herself near the hospital?
Nov 28, 2011 4:52 AM

Sep 2011
This series was so funny, emotional, dramatic and simply epic that I can't give it anything lower than a 10. It means a lot because I only gave 10 to my most favorite anime so far, I don't like to just throw 10s at animes even if they are very well made. Only the ones I really loved, want to rewatch again sometime and can't stop thinking about it. Again, I never cried over any anime/film/book, but the those two scenes (their deaths) made me shed a tear, which is a really big thing for me. This doesn't mean however that I didn't feel sad throughout the anime. Oh boy I did, a lot.
My only disappointment was that they never show them kiss. I really like that they can show their pure love without it, but they should have at least show it at the end when Tomoya ran after Nagisa. Sure those fantasy things (time travel/dream, other world, light orbs, Fuko's "ghost") were a bit weird at first but I think they actually fit that story very well. Hell it wouldn't have been this good without them.

So yeah, a 10/10 from me and it makes it my 2nd favorite anime after Code Geass. I hardly think anything can get above this. This was so fucking beautiful ;_;
RazielZeroOct 6, 2012 5:42 PM
Dec 2, 2011 3:51 AM

Dec 2008
Dask said:

The Orbs represent the hopes and dreams of everybody in their town. Using enough of them in the IW can grant you any one wish you desire. So as she collapsed that world it was used to send Tomoya back into time to when Nagisa was giving birth, but she lived this time. He recalls all this as some distant, blurred dream now. All that matters is that they're all alive and happy though :p

Actually, before going back to Ushio's birth, Tomoya was sent to the moment he first met nagisa (or at least an alternate version of the event). Apparently sources say it was back in time but Nagisa apparently was aware of what happened in the other world (making me think its symblozing some sort of purgatory that Tomoya had to drag Nagisa out of to fullfill Ushio's and/or Tomoya's wish). Still a little puzzled what purpose that scene was supposed to do. Why send Tomoya back to this moment? Maybe its to make sure he ends up with Nagisa again so Ushio can be born but yeah...*shrugs*
autisticanimeDec 2, 2011 3:54 AM
Dec 19, 2011 8:56 AM

Dec 2011
I-- I have no words. It was all wonderful.
Never did I cry watching anime, this was the first time. Telling a story about Nagisa to Ushio in the train on their way home really touched me, the same when he was making up with his father. And then Ushio died.. I hoped for an alternate ending, glad there was one. It made me love this anime even more.

Just one thing is bothering me: He did make up with his father, right? Tomoya went to his grandmother, does this mean that his father was there?
Dec 20, 2011 12:46 AM

Nov 2008
Marzan said:

I agree totally with you. It's like episode 18 and all Tomoya's character development have gone to waste and/or it didn't even happened before. Really, why are there even 2 endings? If the producer had wanted this anime to be a tear-jearking and depressing one, why even make a "true ending" at the last episode. Lol.

As much as i miss Nagisa, i would prefer she stay dead cos i truly enjoyed watching the time spent between Tomoya and Ushio. Harsh comment, but that's it. Still, the whole animation is beautiful.
Dec 24, 2011 12:44 PM

Dec 2011
patient_senses said:
I don't think there has been confirmation that there's even going to be an episode 24 and there's no air date announced for it yet. So if there is an episode 24 than it'll be an OVA.
Ep. 24? -----( http://www.animefushigi.com/clannad-after-story-episode-024 ) ---->
uhh...
Jan 5, 2012 11:48 PM

Jun 2011
...mixed feelings.

Fuko is also annoying.
Rydia69Jan 6, 2012 12:32 AM
Jan 6, 2012 12:49 AM
Jan 2012
I do not mean to offend anyone, first off. But I do not understand why some people dislike the ending. I wont even try to give my own explanation as to what happened because we may never know the true extent of it all as it is all speculation. But why does it even matter? Why ever question or complain about a happy ending?

The story is beautifully written and few people can argue that. And while the character detail and depth is impressive I believe we all soon forget the stars of the show are the town and the light orbs themselves. They are the theme from the beginning to the end. They are present throughout and their powers are known more and more as time goes on. Honestly how could we not expect an ending like this? They did not mention the folklore of the light orbs for no reason so many different times. As time went on I actually expected one of two things:

1: Nagisa would use the orbs to save Ushio so she and Tomoya could be together (an acceptable ending)
2: The family would somehow reunite (also acceptable but concerned how they would pull it off)

Why do the people think the ending was something the authors just came up with as an "oops we'll fix it" type of scenario. Clannad never had that "don't worry when Goku gets his ass kicked we can just use the dragon balls to revive him!" type of thing going for it. It is a story of human compassion and overcoming the pains the real world has to offer. No episode was pointless no matter how it turned out.

It is why we watch or read stories to begin with. Stories are a place were no matter how things were going you always have to hold your breath until the very end because anything is possible. I a firm believer that all stories should begin with a “once upon a time” and end with a “and they lived happily ever after." That is exactly what Clannad delivers. So again, why complain about it?

If you want reality, go outside. :)
Apok23Jan 6, 2012 1:11 AM
Jan 6, 2012 4:00 AM

May 2011
^ You above.

Ending ruined the theme behind CAS and undo former character development. I.e. everything that made it worth of watching was ruined by forced happy ending.

I don't understand why you wouldn't complain. It's not about reality, but script writing and execution.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Jan 6, 2012 9:52 AM

Sep 2011
Don't mind what Karhu says. He has these symptoms for quite a while and it looks like an incurable case. He just can't accept that someone may have a different opinion than him on CAS ending, different perception, expectations, way of rating and what's worse he tries to impose his way to others.
He can't say: "I didn't like the way the story ended"; instead he goes: "Ending ruined everything, I don't understand why you wouldn't complain".

I liked the episode and although I am not a fan of Fuko I didn't mind her too much.
Jan 6, 2012 10:07 AM

May 2011
Linaeris said:
Don't mind what Karhu says. He has these symptoms for quite a while and it looks like an incurable case. He just can't accept that someone may have a different opinion than him on CAS ending, different perception, expectations, way of rating and what's worse he tries to impose his way to others.
He can't say: "I didn't like the way the story ended"; instead he goes: "Ending ruined everything, I don't understand why you wouldn't complain".

I liked the episode and although I am not a fan of Fuko I didn't mind her too much.

Gosh, could you be more hypocrite.

My way of saying my view to it is wrong but when Apok23 says:
Apok23 said:
But why does it even matter? Why ever question or complain about a happy ending? So again, why complain about it?

If you want reality, go outside.
It's perfect cuz them view of point agrees to yours.

They asked shitz and I answered and told where them "logic" fails.

I accept that people like CAS and ignore the last episode when ratings, but I do not accept when someone thinks there is no reasons to hate CAS' ending.
KarhuJan 6, 2012 10:11 AM
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Jan 6, 2012 11:01 AM
Jan 2012
Karhu said:
^ You above.

Ending ruined the theme behind CAS and undo former character development. I.e. everything that made it worth of watching was ruined by forced happy ending.

I don't understand why you wouldn't complain. It's not about reality, but script writing and execution.

It was never really a losing of character development though. We know Tomoya still has his memories of Nagisa dying. In the summary episode he mentions he remembers everything that happened after she died and he says be believes it all might have actually happened. The montage at the end of episode 22 even shows the family meeting Tomoya's grandmother. So no development of characters were lost and nothing he had learned before was unkown to him at the end of the series.

I think it adds to everything really. He can remember what it is like to lose everything he cares about which makes it more important to him now.

That adds to character develpment, don't you think?
Jan 6, 2012 1:30 PM

Sep 2011
If someone liked the ending then he/she most likely doesn't have a reason to dislike it.
If someone didn't like the ending then he/she most likely has a reason to dislike it.
I don't see a problem with accepting it.

If the story would have ended at 18 I think we would have a feeling of something missing; if ended at 21 even more; if Tomoya would end up with Ushio and remarry Kyou like some people suggested - that in my opninion would be something strange looking at his previous behaviour and his relationship with Nagisa.

I have written that you are incurable case about how the story ended cause I wanted to spare Apok the potential argue with you Karhu. Argue that would most likely be pointless.

I don't have a problem if someone complains about/questions or not happy ending or sad ending or whatever the ending would be. I appreciate if a person is consistent even stubborn with own beliefs.
However if someone starts questioning others perception, beliefs, expectations with a general statement (which doesn't have to be true) created in his own mind and a demanding tone then it is a little different issue.
Jan 7, 2012 12:05 PM
Jan 2012
Linaeris said:

I have written that you are incurable case about how the story ended cause I wanted to spare Apok the potential argue with you Karhu. Argue that would most likely be pointless.

I don't have a problem if someone complains about/questions or not happy ending or sad ending or whatever the ending would be. I appreciate if a person is consistent even stubborn with own beliefs.
However if someone starts questioning others perception, beliefs, expectations with a general statement (which doesn't have to be true) created in his own mind and a demanding tone then it is a little different issue.

I wasn't trying to argue at all. I just wanted someone who didn't like the ending to answer my questions so I could understand their opinion more.

I wanted to know why some people liked the series but disliked the ending all while the entire series seemed to be building up to the miracle type ending that actually happened. And disliked the series based on the lose of value in episodes 17-21. Yet he openly says he admits to remembering it all and learning from it. Never made sense to me how you could dislike the lose of character development... that wasn't actually lost.

But then again I didn't expect to run into someone like Karhu when I got here lol :D His mind is appearantly set. Which I do not mind I respect any opinion and do not expect everyone here to all like one thing. Especially with a series as popular as Clannad, there are always haters. I can see how people that do not like the ending think the way they do in some aspects. I would have found it acceptable to end the series before episode 22 but like i said I think the entire series of clannad worked its way up to episode 22 so I find this ending most acceptable. Yet again however, I would also like to have seen it executed more properly.

Either way Karhu keeps coming back here to argue about it. Whereas others may leave it alone, he sticks around. The series must have left some kind of impression on him. :p
Apok23Jan 7, 2012 12:33 PM
Jan 7, 2012 1:37 PM

Jan 2012
just finished this episode yesterday (ya, I'm kinda late) and i absolutely loved it. This was such a deep series with incredibly realistic characters, excellent music that matches the mood accordingly, and a straightforward plot that worked really well. this is not a genre that I would usually watch, but I am glad that i did. This anime will always have a place in my heart.

I don't get all this hate for the producers. All they did was follow the plot of the VN. If you didnt like the ending, doesn't that mean that you have a problem with the makers of the VN, not the anime producers? The ending of the show was the TRUE ending of the VN and I feel that it was implemented really well. besides, why would anybody want a sad ending to this series? it's not like the series lacked in emotional moments, I for one am glad that we got a happy ending as I dont think I could have taken another sad ending but to each his own.

the ending, while deviating away from the fairly realistic aspect of the show, should not come as a shock to anyone imo as there were many aspects of the show throughout both seasons that hinted at such a ending. whenever tomoya would help someone with a problem, a light ball would be shown at the resolution. It was a pretty subtle showing but they were always there, probably something that would be better caught during a re-watch. Furthermore, there were times that the light balls and other world were somewhat explained by the gang leader's sister (sorry, forgot her name) and kotomi. the fact that these supernatural aspects were often presented throughout the show should have hinted that they would come into play. did you think that they just stuck those parts in for no reason?

if someone would like a further explanation of the ending, I'd be happy to provide you with it though it may just end up similar to previous posts. sorry for the long post, but i greatly loved this series.
Jan 7, 2012 1:47 PM

Jan 2012
Karhu said:
^ You above.

sorry for the double post, but I do not feel that it ruined any character development. Tomoya still remembered his past experiences as shown by his fear of Nagisa dying after giving birth. The fact that he was shocked to see her alive pretty much proves that he still has memories of the other timeline. Furthermore, Tomoya making peace with his father was not forgotten as well since he knew about his grandma and the trip his father took with him as a child. He may not be able to write a detailed autobiography about his experiences but I highly doubt he forgot about everything. but i agree, if he had forgotten everything it would definitely have ruined the ending.
Jan 7, 2012 1:52 PM

Sep 2011
Well, I had my argue with Karhu before. It was fun to some extend but like you said his mind is set. It's ok that he has his own opinion. Although he could work a little on a way he expresses his thoughts here.

Clannad is not a detective story where every single aspect should be cleared in the end, some is left for a spectator's imagination and interpretation while main points are explained. Some fantasy elements were here from the beginning so it shouldn't surprise anyone that they were used. And in my opinion used well, also didn't ruin character development or theme behind Clannad as some suggested. Why? Mainly because Clannad's theme is family and dealing with hardships.
Pages (24) « First ... « 14 15 [16] 17 18 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

mflatischler - Jan 22, 2009

255 by tamildhool111 »»
May 12, 3:57 AM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

OurSocialStatus - Mar 26, 2009

324 by wibugar »»
May 9, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

slayer545-sama - Nov 20, 2008

245 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 8, 1:57 AM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

id - Feb 12, 2009

727 by -45- »»
May 4, 9:12 PM

» Hopefully this isn't annoying

Ricdumb - Apr 10

5 by lycan_ »»
Apr 30, 11:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.