Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 9, 2009 2:40 PM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
MAL was down yesterday, so I forgot to post it. Anyways, episode 22 wasn't very impressive. We seemed to have some minor plot advancement in the beginning between Tsugumi and Yuzuki. The rest of the episode was just blah. Something about twins hating each other (didn't we already have one of this in season one?). Good twin gets abused by bad twin; ultimately, good twin turns bad. One of the twins was sent to hell. End of episode.

What's depressing is that from the preview, the next episode is still another random episode... the series is almost ending! When will we get to the climax? :<

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Mar 9, 2009 3:50 PM
Feb 2009
Oh well, as long as Tsugumi keeps appearing and stays alive, I'll be happy.
Apr 2, 2009 5:43 PM

Sep 2008
I was confused who was sent to Hell at first. @_@

By that dress, it was the fake that was sent... but I'm worried how nobody would even care that her mark was so visible...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 3, 2009 2:05 PM

Feb 2009
I guess a shadow should stay a shadow, but really how can you send your sister and your twin to boot to hell like that? That's so stupid!
Apr 4, 2009 12:41 PM
Dec 2007
HawthorneKitty said:

By that dress, it was the fake that was sent... but I'm worried how nobody would even care that her mark was so visible...

Hum, I think that the point of the episode was precisely to prove that sending people to Hell is absurd either way since everyone has a grudge against someone and it's an absolutely ridiculous way to deal with problems. If no one does anything against Jigoku Tsushin, it may as well be the end of humanity (that's why rules exist in most societies and people can't just kill someone even if one has good reasons to do so). That's why the twin sisters were almost identical on everything, the death of either of them means the death of the other at the same time (symbolically speaking, as in a suicide I mean). And I don't think the mystery has been resolved in the ending scene since the candle doesn't indicate which of the sisters was sent to Hell and the woman at the ceremony had her arm at the precise place where the mark was supposed to be visible so we have no mean to know which of the two it actually is.
JacutApr 4, 2009 12:45 PM

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 4, 2009 1:59 PM
Nov 2008
The plot in this ep. make me think of one short-story I read 2-3 years ago. But in that story the shadowy one actually succeeded in impersonating another one. Twin Motif (Just don't mention green-haired in Higurashi) is too overused so that JSM tried to make the ep. end with the mystery unveiled...to make it fresh new...but DO NOT WORK!

Apr 22, 2009 9:19 AM

Jan 2009
Anyone think that mark looked like a Satanic Star? The twins, well all started because one of them decided to get what the other had. Ended up that Tamano or whatever caused to have sex with the other. Other was probably virgin so he chose her as responsible. Other got jealous so me think is Sumika who went to hell.

Another good proof that money + fame = jealousy in family sometimes.
May 8, 2009 9:37 PM

Jun 2008
I liked this episode. Lately the episodes are better. It was interesting seeing those twins and making even us confused on who is who and showing the last of people for success and recognition.
I also liked the fact that they show slowly the strangle of Yuzuki.

Am still confused on who is the one that was sent to hell. But i think it has to be the more wild sister.
May 28, 2009 2:07 AM

Mar 2009
Jacut said:
HawthorneKitty said:

Hum, I think that the point of the episode was precisely to prove that sending people to Hell is absurd either way since everyone has a grudge against someone and it's an absolutely ridiculous way to deal with problems. If no one does anything against Jigoku Tsushin, it may as well be the end of humanity (that's why rules exist in most societies and people can't just kill someone even if one has good reasons to do so). That's why the twin sisters were almost identical on everything, the death of either of them means the death of the other at the same time (symbolically speaking, as in a suicide I mean). And I don't think the mystery has been resolved in the ending scene since the candle doesn't indicate which of the sisters was sent to Hell and the woman at the ceremony had her arm at the precise place where the mark was supposed to be visible so we have no mean to know which of the two it actually is.

Ooo...that makes sense! o.O smartness! lol. Well I hope it was the 'real' one since the 'fake' one was nicer =P
May 31, 2009 1:54 PM

Dec 2008
I think the ending of this episode is left for interpretation, for you to decide how it ended. That's why we weren't reveiled the identity of the sender and the victim.
Jun 13, 2009 11:26 AM
Nov 2008
Monad said:
I liked this episode. Lately the episodes are better. It was interesting seeing those twins and making even us confused on who is who and showing the last of people for success and recognition.
I also liked the fact that they show slowly the strangle of Yuzuki.

Am still confused on who is the one that was sent to hell. But i think it has to be the more wild sister.

"more wild sister"? lol which
Jul 25, 2009 2:23 PM

Nov 2008
i want yuika to be send to hell rather than sumika.Bitch should be sent to hell
Sep 28, 2009 6:49 PM

Aug 2009
I can't tell which one is who. I don't even know who got sent to hell.

But, in the ending, I didn't see the mark so probably the real actress was the one who pulled the string and the fake one was the one who got sent to hell.
Jan 6, 2010 9:13 PM

Jun 2009
They didn't tell us. The mark was on the side of the body they DIDN'T show in the the final scene with the dress, and we only saw the last name being typed in on the comp, but they have the same last name. This is VERY frustrating.
Jan 27, 2010 2:48 PM

Nov 2009
wow she wen a little 2 far with doin it with her sis bf!!! XP i thought she was a good person... eh well after seein her do that... i think she deserved 2 go 2 hell... (crap... was that the 1 who got sent...???... XD)
Oct 31, 2010 12:51 AM
Sep 2009
To solve the Candle Problem:
It only shows their last name, implying that it doesn't matter which was sent, they're both going to Hell. One just went faster than the other, is all.
But IMO it was the studious twin that was sent. No mark was shown, and the one going to Hell cried about only wanting to live out her dreams- Since the one was already a model/actress, that left the other unfulfilled, miserable at having to live in her sister's shadow without a chance to shine for herself. She was given a taste of that, and then (literally) everything was ripped away from her. Sad, really.
Ah well. Such is the way with this show. D:
Just my two cents.
Feb 20, 2011 6:45 AM

Oct 2008
If you want to look different, then just cut your hair and dye it or something. >_>
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jul 10, 2011 10:42 AM
Jun 2009
So Sumika got sent to hell. I think both deserved it actually. I was hoping that Sumika would send Yuika, and Masato would send Sumika in revenge for tricking him into sleeping with her. Yuika was stuck up and poisoned by her fame, and Sumika got too carried away in her role of being a shadow.
Aug 29, 2011 5:23 PM

Dec 2010
Jacut said:

Hum, I think that the point of the episode was precisely to prove that sending people to Hell is absurd either way since everyone has a grudge against someone and it's an absolutely ridiculous way to deal with problems.

True much even I didn't think of that at first. In the end it didn't really matter who was the real one, the scene before Yuzuki showed us this. I think that Yuika was actually the one who got sent to hell because of Mitsuganae's theme - most of the time we see how people send to hell others to hell because they prefer to keep living a lie instead of reality. We can't be really sure, because this was the point of the ending - you can never say who got sent to hell(it's one of my favorite type of endings - it reminds me of Samurai Deeper Kyo's ending - it is you who's left with the decision how the story ends), but if Yuika was sent to hell it would be really unfair - Sumika stole everything from her(including her boyfriend - this was unforgivable I say, even if Yuika was a bitch) and it's totally unfair to send her sister to hell after making her suffer so much. If Yuika has end up sending Sumika to hell then the situation is unfair again - you must go to hell just to get back what was yours to start with?
You can look at it from different angle - probably Yuika wouldn't get this fame(and possibility to become such a bitch) if Sumika haven't helped her back in time. It doesn't really matter who sent who to hell. If we think like this, then Sumika deserves to get this fame too.
Either way, even if we say that the image of Yuika was created by both of the twins, the result is really the same - both go to hell, but one of them will live up her dreams before entering a world full of suffering and loneliness. The feeling I get after watching this episode is just... deep. With no doubts about it I put this episode "good as Season 1 episode" because I really liked it this much!

By the way, Yuzuki I haven't forgot about you! You were brilliant in this one. I wonder if what we see to happen with her is actually how she becomes Jigoku Shoujo - it's almost like her past and is getting erased and the future is blank as hell =\

p.s. I'm so relived to see that one of the oldest commentators is back on line(guyklc). I thought none of the first commentators will be back on the last episodes. Although, number of comments on this episode are less than one page - it really looks bad =\
Jan 28, 2012 8:18 PM

Aug 2009
Both of them were bitches, but neither of them deserved to go to hell...
Feb 4, 2012 8:31 PM

Dec 2008
I liked the ambiguousness of this episode! I wish more episodes were kind of like this (as in, "Is it really right to send that person to hell? Do they deserve it? Who sent who to hell?"), but then again, I like the idea of twins anyway. I thought it would have been even more ambiguous if they had both girls whip out one of the dolls during one of their moments in the hallway. But it was kind of creepy how they were both dressed exactly alike and went their separate ways without saying one word to each other, and even down to the boyfriend where we're not sure who he was saying he'd be with. So awesome.

Given how this series is, I would say that Sumika was sent to hell rather than Yuika because it doesn't seem like the one who is "truly in the wrong" or "deserves to go to hell" (at least, from my point of view in most episodes) has been the one who actually gets sent. This season has kind of flipped that idea on its head, meaning it's all fair game for anyone to send anyone to hell, no matter how ridiculous their grudge may be - even if it's created through hypnotism (like in the last episode) or just wanting your life to remain the same even if it's a living hell. So I agree with what an earlier commentator said, in that this...

Jacut said:
Hum, I think that the point of the episode was precisely to prove that sending people to Hell is absurd either way since everyone has a grudge against someone and it's an absolutely ridiculous way to deal with problems. If no one does anything against Jigoku Tsushin, it may as well be the end of humanity (that's why rules exist in most societies and people can't just kill someone even if one has good reasons to do so).

I think that (bolded) sentence hits the nail on the head.

But for the record, I would have liked if it was Sumika that sent Yuika to hell since Sumika seemed much nicer in standing in so much for her sister in her time of need, be it in school or her modeling job. That would have a more "season one" kind of feel to it and, for me, would have been much more satisfying. Yuika seemed to be really nasty and controlling and ungrateful - making Sumika take the entrance exam for her and having a great boyfriend/manager who was looking out for her all the time. She gave Sumika a taste of the good life, which was her own damn fault, and when Yuika wanted to take it back and let Sumika be her shadow again, Sumika knew she didn't want to feel like that again; that would have definitely felt more satisfying to me.

But, like I said, given how the majority of these episodes played out, I doubt it. Yuika probably accessed the site to get rid of her sister who was stealing her boyfriend and trying to take over her life despite all the stupid, careless things she'd done to Sumika all this time, without even considering her as another person and only as her shadow.

But, the brilliant part of this episode is... it's all ambiguous! HA HA! And we'll never know for certain. Yay, speculation!
Jun 13, 2012 2:35 AM

Jan 2011
I can't help but LOL so much in the beginning of this episode when they were talking about their future plans for high school.

Sora Egami: I'm joining the drama club!
Tamayo Shiina: I'll be working part-time at a pastry shop!
Nozomi Bitou: Something.. related to mass communications.

Yuzuki Mikage: I'll be a tour guide for people to HELL! :D

After all at this point of the story Yuzuki is already aware that she might end up being the next Jigoku Shoujo. Furthermore, she doesn't seem to have any goals at the moment except for meddling onto Hell Corespondence's operations so I figured that might be one of her interest.

The University of Jigoku (Seigawara Branch) might even grant her a scholarship.. maybe.. Bachelors degree in Tourism and Travel Services to Hell.. O_O
AnimeMangaGamer-Jun 13, 2012 2:46 AM
Jul 17, 2012 1:57 AM

Jul 2011
wow mindfucked again.... which twin got sent to hell.. the candle didnt say
Aug 11, 2012 6:55 AM

May 2012
Was a nice episode but yea with twins or siblings hate and love is always present there are good and bad periods and if you've got the power to do something in a bad period bad things will happen and you'll only regret it after wards!

The story was quite sad but yea these things happen in other ways as well!

Nice episode up to the next one!
Sep 20, 2012 7:59 PM

Apr 2011
Both of them are equally evil/good. I love the twist with the candle in the end.
Sep 25, 2012 6:59 PM

Jan 2012
women logic at work again...

kudos to the writer as always.. (no sarcasm)
Dec 28, 2012 12:53 PM

Jun 2011
Haha, pretty interesting ^^ I really couldn't guess which one's going to be sent to hell until the end :P
But just like the two seasons before, this is way too slooow =( There's just something very wrong when you have 20 episodes out of 26 dedicated completely to something other than plot development...
Mar 6, 2013 4:34 AM

Jun 2012
It was sooo predictable... Good sister gets treated like crap by bad one, then she decides to send her to hell and take her place instead.

I think that bad sister (the one without mark) was sent to hell. Good one took her place.

I know that they are both bad, but I still look at the other one like she was "good"one xD
Aug 24, 2013 8:25 PM
Aug 2012
i know that people are debating a lot about who it was that was sent to hell; and there is also the deliberate vagueness in the candle, plus some ambiguity with the masato meeting and the words the victim said on the boat to hell. but i think that the puller of the string was yuika and it was sumika that was sent to hell for one reason. first, we know that yuika is a drinker. we saw it when she went to the bar and got smashed that one time. one of the girls was at a bar having a drink when she accessed the website. it would make sense if it was yuika knowing that shes a drinker. and since there was no other scenes of another access to the site, im forced to believe that that straw doll was the only one in play.
Dec 8, 2013 3:26 AM

Jun 2012
well this was a rather interesting episode but to me its clear that Youka sent Sumika to hell cause in the end she didn't had a mark above her dress like Sumika has + what the person above me said is even more convincing me to believe Yuika pulled the thread.

the only argument that could be said that Sumika pulled the thread was that she said at the end i have discovered a new me in the interview then again this could go for both.
RobertovkDec 8, 2013 3:29 AM
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Jan 22, 2014 5:36 PM

Oct 2009
They clearly obscured the given name when the Jigoku Shoujo website was used, then obscured where the mark would be on the back, and obscured the given name on the candle with some candle wax right at the end, there is no way to determine who it was based on just your eyes, don't know why people are trying to judge based on that when they deliberately made it impossible.

At the end the surviving Misono sister was acting more like Sumika, but the "new me" part of the speech means this might just be Yuika emulating her sister since she could see that she was doing better than her.

It's completely ambiguous, nicely executed.
Jul 12, 2014 9:09 AM

Sep 2013
So the good twin got sent to hell. I was kinda hoping the good twin to end up with the guy and the bad twin to get sent to hell and they live happily ever after.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Dec 14, 2014 12:54 AM

Nov 2013
This episode was one giant mindscrew.

Sumika was a good person at first until she started thriving off the fame of Yuika and had sex with Yuika's boyfriend. Then she became a bitch just like Yuika.

5/10 boring and unimpressive

Oct 16, 2015 4:25 AM

Aug 2014
Meh.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Dec 14, 2015 1:20 AM

Jun 2015
I was so confused in this episode... who was sent to hell, who was the star or who became the star....oh my...its all mixed up
Oct 25, 2016 5:53 PM

May 2010
That we don't know who got sent to hell is really this episode's brilliant stroke. They purposefully let us know they were hiding the information by focusing the camera on her elbow covering up the spot where the scar would be. It's a clever little trick to get us to think of the two possibilities and realize that they're fundamentally the same. Either way, they're both going to hell, and one got sent because of the other taking advantage of her.
“Money can't buy dere”
May 13, 2017 12:19 PM

Apr 2009
Never mind. Both of them will go to hell anyways,
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 24, 2017 8:55 PM
Oct 2014
Well, it's an open end, we never really get to know which one of the sisters got banished because the candle's first surname kanji is covered in wax and thus unreadable, could mean both yuika and sumika. (with the name on the candle beeing the one who pulled the string)

Really like stuff like this.
Oct 31, 2017 8:25 AM

May 2015
What a fucked up sisters.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Feb 21, 2018 11:43 AM

Oct 2015
Yuika got sent to hell. Sumika probably hid her scar/birthmark through a surgery as a measure to fool the boyfriend who chose stick with Yuika, because she loved him also. Another interpretation is that their souls (mentality) intermingled afterwards.

I liked Sumika. It's sad that she had to bitch-up in order to find her likely temporary happiness. Yuika on the other hand is terrible through and through. It was none other than Yuika that influenced Suimika to lose her light :c
TogameCheerioFeb 21, 2018 11:46 AM
Jun 12, 2019 6:56 AM

Jun 2017
Hmmm... the candle in the end didn't say which of the two got sent to hell... but I hope the one who got sent was the "real" sister, the one without the birthmark.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Jun 17, 2019 8:02 AM

Sep 2012
Moonfrost said:
I can't tell which one is who. I don't even know who got sent to hell.

But, in the ending, I didn't see the mark so probably the real actress was the one who pulled the string and the fake one was the one who got sent to hell.

i think she wised up and removed her mark, i think its the actress twin who took her place new
Sugram22Jun 17, 2019 8:07 AM
Oct 23, 2019 10:08 AM
Jun 2019
For me is sumika sent yuika to hell cuz yuika is mean and sumika getting splitted up by masato
Oct 23, 2019 10:09 AM
Jun 2019
Idk sumika has a mark with a star
Feb 1, 2021 11:29 AM

Mar 2019
Apart from the first part with Tsugumi everything was bad. Hated how the good twin turned bad and ngl I still don't know who was sent to hell. I don't see the birth mark so I guess the shadow was the one sent to hell? which would make sense given that she literally tried to steal her sister's life.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Sep 27, 2022 10:22 AM
Feb 2021
Just finished the episode & it's satisfying. Many stated this season is "boring" but to me it's the other way around. Yes, major similarities to the last season's episode but think about it, each ep is actually the same and just a cycle as well as each season the only difference is whose character's history will be told.

The fact that I get to predict the twist, or more likely there's no other plot twist that'll be superior to the iconic ippen shinde miru in this anime is the mere reason I think each episode and season get more interesting and engaging.

I can't wait for Mikage's story to unfold.
Nov 12, 2022 7:45 PM
Dec 2017
another aighty episode

Aug 12, 2023 1:45 PM

Sep 2017
Meh episode. Pretty sure it was the faker sister who got sent to hell, considering that she kept talking about wanting to achieve her dreams. Well, she deserved it.
خ

More topics from this board

» do you really believe that all thee victims deserved to go to hell

geekfreak17a - May 17, 2014

5 by redpanda_42 »»
Nov 19, 2023 8:37 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae Episode 18 Discussion

guyklc - Feb 7, 2009

35 by redpanda_42 »»
Nov 19, 2023 6:58 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 27, 2008

72 by redpanda_42 »»
Nov 18, 2023 11:30 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae Episode 23 Discussion

guyklc - Mar 14, 2009

47 by patkarunungan »»
Nov 11, 2023 3:21 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beave - Mar 20, 2009

52 by Phobossus »»
Aug 26, 2023 3:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.