Forum Settings
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 26, 2013 3:28 AM
Jul 2018
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Finally, the long-awaited confrontation. Thorfinn starts by throwing Canute off by apologizing for scarring him and addressing himself with "watashi" instead of "ore". He then tells Canute that he now has the face of a true ruler, and Canute responds with that sounds like something Askeladd would say.

After Thorfinn asks Canute to leave, we get Yukimura's version of Canute and the waves. However, instead of praising God like in the original version, Canute discusses his plans to build a paradise on earth and decalres himself as the vikings'emperor. Einar then points out the flaws in his logic and how in hell the killing that was carried out under his orders had ended up saving anyone. The chapter ends with Canute beckoning Thorfinn to kill him, because that's the only way he could stop him.

At first, I thought Ulf's joke about Canute and Ketil settling it off with a game of chess could be some foreshadowing, but I have no idea where this is going. We also got Thorfinn's vow to never kill again, so I wonder how he's going to take back Ketil's farm, if he's going to take it back. Maybe Thorgil will appear and save the day :p
Sep 26, 2013 11:39 PM
Oct 2011
Canute's faces in this chapter were priceless.
Sep 26, 2013 11:49 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
How they both have changed since the start of this manga. Impressive.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 27, 2013 4:58 AM

Apr 2009
Time for a little history lesson:
[W]hen at the summit of his power, he ordered a seat to be placed for him on the sea-shore when the tide was coming in. Then, before a large group of his flattering courtiers, he spoke to the rising sea, saying, "Thou, too, art subject to my command, for the land on which I am seated is mine, and no one has ever resisted my commands with impunity. I command you, then, o waters, not to flow over my land, nor presume to wet the feet and the robe of your lord."

The tide, however, continued to rise as usual, dashing over his feet and legs without respect to his royal person.

Then the King leaped backwards, saying: "Let all men know how empty and worthless is the power of kings, for there is none worthy of the name, but He whom heaven, earth, and sea obey by eternal laws."

Thenceforth King Canute never wore his crown of gold, but placed it for a lasting memorial on a statue of Our Lord nailed to the Cross, to the honor of God the Almighty King, through whose mercy may the soul of Canute, the King, enjoy everlasting rest.

Source: http://www.traditioninaction.org/religious/h061rp.Canute.html

I like how they integrated this into the arc.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Sep 27, 2013 5:45 AM

Oct 2008
They finally meet! I can't wait for the next chapter.
Sep 27, 2013 6:41 AM

Apr 2012
Wow, what a great chapter this is. The characterization of Canute in this chapter is simply top notch and so as Einar but this made me want more. This chapter is too damn short for me and another month of waiting for us oh goodness gracious.
Sep 28, 2013 5:14 AM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
This chapter made me like Canute more, mostly due to his way of expressing his words. I wonder what Thorfinn will do next, he better not try to ambush him immediately.

Also Einar showed quite the confidence.
Oct 16, 2013 11:56 AM

Jan 2013
Canute is one big bitch. I didn't like him when he was a pussy but I don't like him now that he has grown balls. Though Thorfinn said he won't kill, he should kill that faggot.
Oct 25, 2013 3:01 PM
Dec 2012
RedgraverSoul said:
Wow, what a great chapter this is. The characterization of Canute in this chapter is simply top notch and so as Einar but this made me want more. This chapter is too damn short for me and another month of waiting for us oh goodness gracious.
canute is starting to remind me ever more of Griffith, with his ambiguous dreams and ambitions that may cause harm to people. He's a fantastic character in his own right though.
Oct 28, 2013 11:26 AM

Sep 2008
wow...that was a really tension-filled conversation. Both Canute and Thorfinn have changed completely from what they were 4 years ago. you can almost say that they are going in the exact opposite direction of what they set out to do in the beginning.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jul 21, 2014 9:57 AM

Jun 2013
Rance-sama said:
Canute is one big bitch. I didn't like him when he was a pussy but I don't like him now that he has grown balls. Though Thorfinn said he won't kill, he should kill that faggot.

Canute could have be a great villain if his transformation was believable.

Good chapter nontheless.
Oct 21, 2015 11:41 PM

Apr 2014
koreye said:
wow...that was a really tension-filled conversation. Both Canute and Thorfinn have changed completely from what they were 4 years ago. you can almost say that they are going in the exact opposite direction of what they set out to do in the beginning.

Yeah, no kidding. I hope Thorfinn can make Chanute wake up a bit.
Feb 17, 2016 11:30 PM

Dec 2013
Really liked Canute in this chapter.
Jan 1, 2018 11:55 AM

Jul 2017
Man do I love King Canute. He would undoubtedly be my fav character if his development wasn't so unrealistic and had more gradual progression.
Nov 27, 2018 3:05 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
If Canute had stopped the waves, the manga had ended!!!! kekeke
Oct 25, 2022 1:43 PM

Aug 2021
canute got a haircut and grew a stubble and thinks he's the reincarnation of god now
Dec 3, 2022 8:10 PM
Aug 2020
One of my favorites cant wait for season 2 of the anime
Jan 13, 2023 12:38 PM

Sep 2014
Canute...what a man you are...

More topics from this board

» vinland saga manga is ending soon

deg - Apr 13

7 by deg »»
Apr 24, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 191 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BigPPFumiya - Feb 25, 2022

74 by jgreene »»
Apr 18, 9:12 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 209 Discussion

ryzxgum - Feb 23

22 by TheMangaManiac »»
Apr 15, 4:41 PM

» Some great music to listen to while reading?

Ghoultulhu - Aug 26, 2015

8 by enigmasauce »»
Apr 5, 8:10 AM

» vinland saga 210 release date?

CRG - Apr 2

1 by deg »»
Apr 2, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.