Forum Settings
Forums
The Empty Box and Zeroth Maria (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2013 5:40 AM

Nov 2010
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS VOLUME.
----------------------------------------
Kazuki and Maria turn into gothlolis. This volume, together with Vol. 4 are one of the best arcs, probably next to Vol. 1.
At first glance I thought it was going to be some generic stuck in an RPG scenario, but it turn out to be the best RPG simulations I have ever read. Oh boy, Death Note fans are so gonna love this.
RadiGenSep 3, 2013 5:55 AM
Oct 10, 2013 1:50 PM

Mar 2013
The beginning prior to the start of the box game was kind of weird, but it got really good soon enough. Kind of reminded me of DanganRonpa at first with the weird bear mascot. @Radigen I agree this was one of the best RPG/battle royale scenarios I've ever seen. I haven't read past this vlume yet, but it seems like the next one should be even better.
Oct 30, 2013 1:52 PM

Oct 2011
This volume was just fantastic in every way conceivable. Man, after the first volume, I was convinced that this LN may turn out to be great, due to how well it handles its mysteries, and especially in how well it explains them logically; but, my expectations after completing volume 2 plummeted ever so slightly, as it didn't quite live up to the greatness of the previous volume. Then came volume 3, which not only surpassed everything I've read before it, but the plot has got to be one of the most impressive ones I've read in the LN medium, period.

Really, to keep this brief, I honestly can't wait to fully catch up with this sublime novel!

Nov 6, 2013 11:26 AM

Apr 2010
Yeah, volume 1 was awesome in it's own right, but I guess the way to say this is that I found this volume more entertaining. Can't wait to see how this all ends in the next volume!
Nov 14, 2013 10:17 PM

Aug 2010
This volume was quite entertaining. Really looking forward to see how things will go in the next volume.
Jan 6, 2014 1:47 PM
Jul 2018
Just as great as the first. Also, I've really come to like Yuuri, after Maria she's my favorite now^^
Feb 23, 2014 2:00 AM

Feb 2014
After I read the three game scenarios, they seemed so random with no connections at all. Then I finished the ending of this volume and my jaws dropped! No wonder the hype of this novel is growing so quick. Just when I thought Volume 1's amazing story was going to be my favorite for some time, this volume proved me wrong. I love the rules in this arc and I'm glad volume 4 continues on with it!
AlenciaMar 31, 2014 9:09 PM
Mar 17, 2014 10:26 PM

Nov 2011
Oh wow, the way the games were set up initially had me face palm a little but the execution was done brilliant with each role and the outcomes. What a game.
Mar 31, 2014 9:06 PM

Apr 2012
Stark700 said:
Oh wow, the way the games were set up initially had me face palm a little but the execution was done brilliant with each role and the outcomes. What a game.
I know that I have classes tomorrow, and it is midnight right now. Screw it. I am gonna finish the next volume even at the risk of cutting classes.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
May 11, 2014 11:59 AM

Nov 2012
RadiGen said:
At first glance I thought it was going to be some generic stuck in an RPG scenario, but it turn out to be the best RPG simulations I have ever read.
Originally thought the same thing,and agreed easily the best RPG/battle royale scenario I've ever read.

Next up volume 4,I wonder how Hazuki will manage...
Jun 15, 2014 6:13 AM

Nov 2013
That sure was a fun ride. I somehow had a feeling that Yuuri was planning something, she was too sweet and in stories like this nothing is ever as what meets the eye.. She is a great character.

Brilliant game, tons of trickery. Let the mind games commence! On to the next volume!
Aug 1, 2014 8:43 PM

Mar 2012
So much better than the previous volume. I really like this trapped in a game aspect and how he explained that the people in the game are just merely NPCs was quite interesting. The only thing I really cannot stand at the moment is how easily Maria can sacrifice herself for others. I was cringing quite a bit when the guy with the knife was threatening the rest of them.

I really do hope that Kazu can grow a pair in the following volumes because currently I just see him as an annoying MC incapable of doing anything alone.
ninja88880Aug 1, 2014 9:12 PM
Aug 2, 2014 6:53 AM

Oct 2013
ninja88880 said:
I really do hope that Kazu can grow a pair in the following volumes because currently I just see him as an annoying MC incapable of doing anything alone.
Granted, oh wait...
Aug 2, 2014 1:35 PM

Jun 2013
Holy cow! I nearly lost it with those mind games of daiya & yuuri

now this was a game of " kill or be killed " in a more entertaining way.
Imagine a berserk anime by Yoshiaki kawajiri at Madhouse.

Now take a look at Berserk (2016).

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO CRY.
Oct 21, 2014 3:21 PM

Nov 2013
RadiGen said:
Death Note fans are so gonna love this.
Can confirm.

This volume was incredible. The plot twists just keep coming.
Dec 3, 2014 5:19 PM

Nov 2012
DRINK MY TEARS! Eh, I don't know, personally I didn't like this volume nearly as much as the first one. Feels like this concept has been overdone a bit, basically Liar Game with people who actually die.. except not really.. but then still they kinda do.. lol.
Dec 5, 2014 8:31 AM
Oct 2012
Pedo_Tendencies said:
DRINK MY TEARS! Eh, I don't know, personally I didn't like this volume nearly as much as the first one. Feels like this concept has been overdone a bit, basically Liar Game with people who actually die.. except not really.. but then still they kinda do.. lol.

The third novel was released in early 2010 and while Liar Game has already been made earlier, they are all base don Battle Royal. Now, we see it more often like Hunger Games, DanganRonpa and what not. It makes sense it'll feel used on the concept but for it's time, it executed its path better than the concepts used today that are terrible or very poor in execution.
Dec 5, 2014 10:09 PM

Nov 2012
BRK25 said:
Pedo_Tendencies said:

The third novel was released in early 2010 and while Liar Game has already been made earlier, they are all base don Battle Royal. Now, we see it more often like Hunger Games, DanganRonpa and what not. It makes sense it'll feel used on the concept but for it's time, it executed its path better than the concepts used today that are terrible or very poor in execution.

That's true I guess, but having read Liar Game and watched Danganronpa it does feel a bit.. unoriginal. Definitely has pretty good execution though, and I love the writing style and how characters' thoughts are presented.
Dec 6, 2014 3:55 PM
Oct 2012
Pedo_Tendencies said:
BRK25 said:

That's true I guess, but having read Liar Game and watched Danganronpa it does feel a bit.. unoriginal. Definitely has pretty good execution though, and I love the writing style and how characters' thoughts are presented.

Just a note, Volume three came before DanganRonpa's first game, even the mascot bear and the killing. really makes me wonder which came first Which is why I love the novel more, it inspired something that gets media praise but there's one that's always better.
Dec 6, 2014 9:45 PM

Nov 2012
BRK25 said:
Pedo_Tendencies said:

Just a note, Volume three came before DanganRonpa's first game, even the mascot bear and the killing. really makes me wonder which came first Which is why I love the novel more, it inspired something that gets media praise but there's one that's always better.

Haha, I didn't even realize the bear thing was in both of them too. Now they seem even more similar! In the end though I don't care which one came first as long as I enjoy it.
Jan 3, 2015 8:15 AM

Jun 2013
I cannot help but think that Vol. 3 will just be a fodder for Vol. 4 since Kazuki becomes wholly involved in Vol 4 and probably Maria too gets involved without her being an NPC. One of the least confusing volumes out of the 3 that I read but at the same time we are made to think somewhat deep to arrive at the answer..

All the gurls seem to be falling for Kazuki.. Hope it does not take a harem route in the future.
Jan 5, 2015 2:43 AM

Oct 2013
bleachsai said:
I cannot help but think that Vol. 3 will just be a fodder for Vol. 4 since Kazuki becomes wholly involved in Vol 4 and probably Maria too gets involved without her being an NPC. One of the least confusing volumes out of the 3 that I read but at the same time we are made to think somewhat deep to arrive at the answer..

All the gurls seem to be falling for Kazuki.. Hope it does not take a harem route in the future.
Don't worry it doesn't.
Jan 17, 2015 9:43 PM

Jul 2013
BRK25 said:
Pedo_Tendencies said:

Danganronpa was already in development when Volume 3 was released. I guess you could just say that it was coincidence.

A very convenient coincidence at that.
Jan 18, 2015 5:21 PM
Oct 2012
defan752 said:
BRK25 said:

Danganronpa was already in development when Volume 3 was released. I guess you could just say that it was coincidence.

A very convenient coincidence at that.

It feels too ill time. I mean, if Eiji knew how to plan all this shit out without playing the game, ridiculous.
Feb 1, 2015 4:08 AM
Oct 2013
ninja88880 said:

Seriously, Kazuki as a protagonist is by far the weakest part of this series. He is just so bland, boring and is only able to react (i.e. no initiative). For nearly every action he has to consult Maria and most of his dialogue parts don't even consist of a normal stream of sentences, but many questions, ellipses and stutters. The first book is only that great because of both Maria and the plot's overshadowing presence (they don't leave Kazuki any room to really "shine").

Like others already mention, this book is a step up from the last. Unfortunately, the harem elements (which don't fit these books at all) as well as supernatural conveniences (like Maria's weakening) are still present. Well, at least Daiya is finally getting an actual character.

And isn't the game of this book based on the party game Mafia/Werewolf?
Feb 1, 2015 8:26 AM
Oct 2012
Qonell said:
ninja88880 said:

Seriously, Kazuki as a protagonist is by far the weakest part of this series. He is just so bland, boring and is only able to react (i.e. no initiative). For nearly every action he has to consult Maria and most of his dialogue parts don't even consist of a normal stream of sentences, but many questions, ellipses and stutters. The first book is only that great because of both Maria and the plot's overshadowing presence (they don't leave Kazuki any room to really "shine").

Like others already mention, this book is a step up from the last. Unfortunately, the harem elements (which don't fit these books at all) as well as supernatural conveniences (like Maria's weakening) are still present. Well, at least Daiya is finally getting an actual character.

And isn't the game of this book based on the party game Mafia/Werewolf?

The harem elements won't last, I've read them all so don't worry on it going 'mainstream' in concepts or following trends. Daiya gets fleshed out well here as opposed to the previous volumes.

I got nothing to say about Kazuki in this point of time. Only to keep reading.

Unsure on Mafia and Werewolf but possibly involved in the making. I know it's heavily based off of this novel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale

And the film made in Japan spawning hits and acclaim. Not only that, The Hunger Games took massive inspiration from this novel to add. Either that or they managed to miraculously came up with the same concepts and themes.
Aug 7, 2015 8:28 PM

Jul 2012
The survival game concept has been done a ton, but I'm really glad how this one was set up so uniquely. I expected nothing less from the author!

I thought it was suspicious how Yuuri was warming up so much to Kazuki in the first round, but on the very next page, she died 😳
And then she was all deceptive in round 2, but then we find out that she was forced to deceive everyone if she wanted to survive her turn as a player.

I'm interested to see how Kazuki works out trying to get everyone to die at the very end so he can end this game. I might have gotten a little tired of the concept in the middle of round 2, so hopefully, the author will freshen up round 4 a bit.

Overall, this was better than volume 2, but volume 1 blew my mind with its twists and how the author performed them haha. Looking forward to reading volume 4 and The Game of Idleness' continuation!
Sep 10, 2015 8:30 AM

Jan 2015
I wasn't so sure about this Volume at the start(and even stopped reading it for a week or two), but started reading it again a few days ago and when shit went down I couldn't bring myself to stop reading it. It is indeed on the level of the 1st Volume or at least close to it.

Not really sure how I feel for the next Volume now that I guess that they are gonna continue with the game. I just get the feeling "this one can't just be better than the last one". But, I would not be surprised if it is as good as this one.
But I will find out soon enough, and can't wait to find out what's gonna happen...
Oct 11, 2015 1:10 AM

Oct 2014
wow... that first round was so good!
Mar 2, 2016 6:44 PM

Apr 2015
"Kazu, you are the [Sorcerer], aren't you?"
"......Eh?"
I let out my voice spontaneously.
"H-How d-did---?"
How did he find out? I didn't didn't make any fault that would reveal--- Having thought this far, I noticed something. I made a mistake --- just now.

WTF? Just WTF? How stupid can one be? I mean, it's the most basic provocative question one can ask, and the MC can't even deal with it... It was an instant drop of the series for me. Such a disappointment (-_-)
Aug 4, 2016 5:25 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Much better than the second volume and on par with the first volume. The beginning was fun and all with the whole SOL vibe but once everyone was put into the box, things got fun. At first I was slightly disappointed that the series decided to make “trapped-in-a-game” as its premise, but once each of the class descriptions were explained, I knew it wouldn’t be a typical “trapped-in-a-game” story. In the first round, even I got deceived by Daiya’s words. But the second round was far more enjoyable with Yuuri’s real behavior being revealed and Kamiuchi’s real personality being shown. Kamiuchi’s really messed up though, like really messed up. And the third round was super short, yet really exciting to read. That’s when we get to how Iroha really felt. Oh well, so the owner is Daiya apparently, though that can’t be for certain. After all, there’s also someone else here who hates boredom too (Kamiuchi). But the ending was exciting and I want to see how Kazuki plays during his turn. That being said, it’s hard to believe that what Daiya said was true (about keeping everyone alive for eight days). After all, “Kingdom Royale” is all about deceiving. Also Kazuki pointing at Daiya and betting that he will defeat him felt so shounen-ish. I couldn’t help but laugh at that part.

5/5
Aug 21, 2017 11:54 PM

Aug 2013
Daiya is annoying and how is he not in a mental asylum?
the 'i'm just bored' excuse is retarded
Dec 9, 2017 10:30 PM

Jun 2012
Just pray tell me, how did Kazuki became this stupid, oh well... At least I had fun reading the other 5 players throughout all the dissonance in this volume. Iroha proves to be the best worth of her title as Kaichou, I sure thought she was cool on her round.

I hope the next vol. will let me see Kazuki again in a new light.
Dec 6, 2018 4:46 PM
Jan 2010
Only just started this but honestly not looking forward to it. I loathe Daiya as a character and I've been curious since reading (the subpar) second volume as to why he got away scot-free with beating the shit out of someone in the middle of class.

Edit: Kazuki has never come across as clever so him continuing to be an idiot feels in character. But considering
UthredDec 6, 2018 6:30 PM
May 2, 2019 4:11 PM
Jul 2018
I liked this one more than the first volume, and that's really saying something. There was a constant atmosphere of mystery and fear and trickery. Awesome stuff, 10/10.
Oct 16, 2020 9:02 AM

Jun 2017
The Bad Parts -

That was pretty stupid of Kazuki to reveal to Daiya that he was the revolutionary in the second game. The first time it was by surprise but in the second game Kazuki revealed that info just because Daiya mentioned revolutionary even before Kazuki was asked his class by him.

Kazuki's past about Nana Yanagi was an excruciating read. Licking the tears to soothe someone? That's bullshit and quite creepy. I can't imagine a situation where that is considered normal. Nana is obviously a troubled person and but I can't imagine Kazuki doing that.

I don't buy the argument that you need to stick to normal life to forget about someone. In fact, distractions are the way to go to forget people. Maybe Kazuki has a different reason for his obsession with normal life.
Kazuki hesitates to kill people because he is afraid that takes away his normal life. But he doesn't realise that his normal life is already gone the moment he was involved with the boxes.

Only Yuri planned for a win in the second round. It doesn't seem like Iroha and Oomine even tried. Considering that the time was running out before the first kill happened, I would have expected everyone to be at least scheming some plan.

The Good Parts -

The design of this game was great. The rules looked fairly simple at first but each class had to do more than what was stated in the rules to survive. Both play throughs felt completely different and had me wondering about the outcome. I thought Yuri can be cunning but she being the actual mastermind took me by surprise. The biggest twist at the end was even better. 8/10 for the volume.
(4/10 for 1st volume, 6/10 for the 2nd. So this is the best volume so far for me.)
Oct 21, 2020 1:12 PM

Jan 2017
If I had a nickel for every time Kazuki stupidly reveals his class, then I would have two nickels, which isn't a lot but it's really stupid that it happened twice.

I also cringed everytime Kazuki mentions he drinks tears of his first love in the past like dude...tf?

Still that was one hell of a read. Off to the next volume.
Nov 9, 2020 9:41 PM
Jan 2020
Wait did Maria (and somewhat Yuuri)got raped in this volume??? Can someone please correct me?!
Jan 5, 2021 12:59 AM
Apr 2017
CoRG1god said:
Wait did Maria (and somewhat Yuuri)got raped in this volume??? Can someone please correct me?!

Just my thoughts.
I think nobody got raped here. Kamiuchi said that it was just an act. Apparently, Yuri was the mastermind and she was the one that told him to act dangerously.
For Maria, I think nothing happened to her. It was stated that the reason why Kamiuchi forced Maria to choose him in the private meeting was because it would prevent her and Kazuki from planning a countermeasure.
Nov 13, 2021 3:09 PM
Nov 2018
This box is interesting and another very good book, everyone fell for daiya's plan and yuri really managed to trick me into thinking she is a good person and the president was eh not much did she do really in her replay. It seems like this is a set up for kazu's turn, which is going to be more interesting than whatever happened here. Daiya and his boredom seems to be realistic but yet it seems like kazu didn't really understand daiya, and i wouldn't be surprised if everything he did was just for his crush and not actually 'boredom' .
3zombieNov 13, 2021 3:16 PM
Nov 19, 2021 1:45 PM

Feb 2020
i can't find the official paperback for volume 3 anywhere online, any help.
i am shoebill
Jun 26, 2022 6:49 PM
Aug 2019
Among us the ln volume. Seeing Daiya rickrolling Hazuki in the first round was so great. And the second round kinda had on my nerves in a good way, all really tense scenarios and any action could bring any possible theory to light, yet i didnt expect that everyone's an npc and when you're the impostor if you die you won't reset again. Such a great volume, really curious to see the no hit among us victory royale chicken dinner
Jun 26, 2022 6:52 PM
Aug 2019
ivoza said:
i can't find the official paperback for volume 3 anywhere online, any help.

Yep me neither, been waiting since october 2020 tbh. I had 1-2 and 4-7, but looks like it wont ever get reprinted so I downloaded illegally. Happens
Aug 30, 2022 7:37 AM
Sep 2020
RadiGen said:
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS VOLUME.
----------------------------------------
Kazuki and Maria turn into gothlolis. This volume, together with Vol. 4 are one of the best arcs, probably next to Vol. 1.
At first glance I thought it was going to be some generic stuck in an RPG scenario, but it turn out to be the best RPG simulations I have ever read. Oh boy, Death Note fans are so gonna love this.

This is a light novel though
Oct 18, 2022 9:37 AM

Oct 2021
This volume was really interesting, also kazuki needs to stop remembering that "tears drinking" part,like seriously.......
Nov 1, 2022 4:50 AM

Jan 2020
What a banger. I liked the previous 2 volumes, but this volume destroyed them completely. This shit was stellar. The main reasons being that Daiya is a great antagonist, and that Kazuki was fleshed out pretty well here.

The manipulation and intensity of the second half was truly something else.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Volume 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

TheHollowShrine - Jul 7, 2015

253 by Alvie48xi »»
Feb 26, 3:19 AM

Poll: » Volume 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

RadiGen - Sep 3, 2013

79 by Alvie48xi »»
Feb 24, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Volume 5 Discussion

RadiGen - Sep 3, 2013

37 by Alvie48xi »»
Feb 23, 8:16 AM

» The missing volumes

Perfectrockstar - Jul 4, 2021

4 by EmrysTatari »»
Feb 8, 1:36 PM

» Anime Adaptation possibility?

DarkHumor04 - Jan 11, 2022

14 by Hikool101 »»
Nov 20, 2023 9:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.