Forum Settings
Forums

Favourite Character Developments from any anime/manga

New
Aug 29, 2013 6:05 PM

Aug 2013
What are your favourite character developments from any anime or manga? And how did they develop?
One of my personal favourites is Simon from Gurren Lagann. He starts out like any other wimpish and shy 14 year old (see Shinji Ikari from Evangelion or Renton Thurston from Eureka 7), and after
, he falls into a depression. However, he soon finds resolve to keep on fighting, and grows into the hero he was meant to be. He's a character that I was so compelled to root for. Bottom line: he matures with the series, and that's why I love him so much.
So what developments shine out to you?
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 29, 2013 6:08 PM

Jun 2013
My favorites would have to include: Kimi no Iru Machi, The World God Only Knows, Onanie Master Kurosawa, and Akame ga Kill...

They just did so much for me in terms of developing the characters realistically. Also, the characters don't stay the same age for about a millennium and a half like in most manga/anime.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Aug 29, 2013 6:09 PM

Apr 2012
Erin from Kemono no Souja Erin
Never seen a better character ever.
Aug 29, 2013 6:10 PM

Aug 2013
YandereTheEmo said:
Akame ga Kill

I'm a fan of that manga too. I assume you're referring to Tatsumi?
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga

Aug 29, 2013 6:10 PM

Jun 2013
StillSwingin007 said:
YandereTheEmo said:
Akame ga Kill

I'm a fan of that manga too. I'm assume you're referring to Tatsumi?

Correct.

I love the "gritty/dark" effect that it brings.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Aug 29, 2013 6:11 PM

Apr 2013
Okabe from Steins Gate!
Allen Walker from D. Gray Man!
Aug 29, 2013 6:12 PM

Jun 2012
(It's a manga but whatever)Utsumi Seiji from GE: Good Ending went from being a shit character to a really good character.....of course it was thanks to Kurokawa, but still I loved the way his character developed and changed over time.
Aug 29, 2013 6:13 PM
Aug 2011
Mclovinballs said:
Erin from Kemono no Souja Erin
Never seen a better character ever.

Really now?
Well damn. I've had this on hold for a while now, this gives me motivation to keep watching.
Aug 29, 2013 6:14 PM

Aug 2013
YandereTheEmo said:
StillSwingin007 said:
YandereTheEmo said:
Akame ga Kill

I'm a fan of that manga too. I'm assume you're referring to Tatsumi?

Correct.

I love the "gritty/dark" effect that it brings.

Well, it IS darker than a lot of other shonen manga out there. But it's still hilarious as hell at times.
And I agree with Tatsumi. He changed a lot after
, yet he doesn't give up any resolve. He handled it maturely, and becomes more mature himself. That's how I felt, anyway.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga

Mar 2012
Due to the recent event in manga, Keima come to my mind.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.

Feb 2012
Akari from the Aria series without a doubt for me, but Erin form Kemono no Souja Erin is a close second.
Aug 29, 2013 6:15 PM

Jun 2013
MEanimaniac1 said:
(It's a manga but whatever)Utsumi Seiji from GE: Good Ending went from being a shit character to a really good character.....of course it was thanks to Kurokawa, but still I loved the way his character developed and changed over time.

May I just say that I've spent extended periods of time just watching your signature... It's quite wondrous.

OT: Good Ending is one of those manga that just killed me halfway through. However, it is truly just worth the read.
YandereTheEmo said:
Aug 29, 2013 6:16 PM

Mar 2012
I also like Sayaka developement from Madoka. Sadly not many share my sentiment.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Aug 29, 2013 6:17 PM

Jun 2012
YandereTheEmo said:
MEanimaniac1 said:

May I just say that I've spent extended periods of time just watching your signature... It's quite wondrous.

OT: Good Ending is one of those manga that just killed me halfway through. However, it is truly just worth the read.

Lol nice.

Yeah, it does have a huge decline when

, but it recovers quite well and I really enjoyed it.
Aug 29, 2013 6:22 PM

Aug 2013
MEanimaniac1 said:
YandereTheEmo said:
MEanimaniac1 said:

Lol nice.

I don't read much manga, but it's on my PTR list. I don't believe I've even read a romance manga before LOL.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga

Aug 29, 2013 6:24 PM

Jun 2013
StillSwingin007 said:
MEanimaniac1 said:
YandereTheEmo said:
MEanimaniac1 said:

Lol nice.

I don't read much manga, but it's on my PTR list. I don't believe I've even read a romance manga before LOL.

You should go totally cliche and read something like Orange Marmalade.

Either that, or go read something like The World God Only Knows or Kangoku Gakuen.
YandereTheEmo said:

Jan 2013
Pretty much any character from Evangelion

Jun 2012
StillSwingin007 said:
MEanimaniac1 said:
YandereTheEmo said:
MEanimaniac1 said:

Lol nice.

It's a really good starter for romance.
Aug 29, 2013 7:16 PM

Jul 2013
My favorites have to be any of the character developments in Kokoro Connect, considering that the anime was all about the relationships built among the members of the club, it really was nice to see payoff for all the stuff they had to go through.
"There stood a high school boy, who for selfish reasons had twice beaten an elementary school girl unconscious, and had gotten all nihilistically worked up about it. Actually that's still me."
Aug 29, 2013 7:28 PM

Jun 2009
Oskar von Reuenthal and Yang Wenli from Legend of the Galactic Heroes immediately come to mind.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 29, 2013 7:36 PM

Jan 2010
Madoka comes to mind, specifically episode 10.
Aug 29, 2013 7:38 PM

Nov 2012
For manga I'd have to Hoshi no Samidare, every character pretty much gets development and it's done so damn well.
Aug 29, 2013 10:03 PM

Jan 2011
Julian Minci from Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Aug 29, 2013 10:13 PM

Feb 2013
For a recent one that I've come to love, I'd choose Albert de Morcerf from the animated adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo: Gankutsuou. His development over the course of the series is stellar.

He starts off as your naive teenager, and many even compare him to static cowardly characters like Shinji Ikari. However, Albert is no coward, and he is one of the best-written dynamic teenage characters I've seen in an anime. Through his ordeals with the Count, the drama with his friends, and the events with the three main families, the guy goes through major development. He's betrayed, he's fooled, then he becomes self-aware of his naivety... Albert is just awesome as a character.
Aug 29, 2013 10:55 PM

Aug 2013
or anything that's similar.
"One does not simply say no to a loli with animal ears and tail."

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/iAmEcchi
Aug 29, 2013 11:10 PM

Dec 2012
Love D-Boy's growth in Tekkaman Blade. While he does pull a Shinji at least once, D-Boy goes from an untrusting lone wolf to a true hero with great support.
Aug 30, 2013 12:06 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Madoka has a lot of it for several of its characters.
Okarin, Taiga and Holo also come to mind.
Aug 30, 2013 2:21 PM
Jul 2012
Tetsuro(Galaxy Express 999)
Shinji Ikari(Neon Genesis Evangelion)
Yasuri Shichika(Katanagatari)
Sora Naegino(Kaleido Star)

Just to name a few, really heard to pick just one or two, so many great ones to choose from
Aug 30, 2013 2:28 PM

Jun 2012
For a manga, Berserk has some of the best character development, specifically in the Golden Age arc.

Texhnolyze also does a great job with it's characters, never really ignoring any of them. It has some of the better character development in anime.

Oh! Also the development in Oyasumi Punpun. There is a small cast of characters and all of them are given such great depth. This goes for pretty much any manga by Asano Inio.
nasliwnblAug 30, 2013 2:34 PM
получить деньги моего друга
Aug 30, 2013 2:31 PM

Sep 2012
Kurosawa, from OMK
Shu from Guilty Crown
Zwei from Phantom
Tomoya from Clannad

Just a few.
Aug 30, 2013 3:22 PM

Aug 2013
Red_Keys said:

Tomoya from Clannad

Just a few.

I. LOVE. YOU.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga

Aug 30, 2013 3:27 PM

Aug 2013
Theodoricos said:
Oh, this is an easy one.

Ash Ketchum, Pokemon.

..you were joking..? ARE YOU MAD. Ash Ketchum is the DEFINITION of a well paced character development. A model most characters in anime try to achieve, and above all, from the most thought provoking and engaging anime in existence.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga

Aug 30, 2013 3:37 PM

Nov 2012
Okabe - Steins;Gate
Simon - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Aug 30, 2013 3:43 PM

Sep 2011
there was an anime but it was a pretty poor adaptation of the game, but luke fon fabre from tales of the abyss takes this spot for me. He starts off as this kind of despicable selfish brat, but after some events i cant mention due to spoilers he really develops into one hell of a character

TOA is a rare case where the emo phase was actually handled really well, he has a very valid reason to act down but the thing that made this so well handled was that he didnt sit around and mope, he carries the sadness and regrets of a past decision with him throughout the entire game not letting it slow him down but never letting him forget the actions hes made. It makes for some truly emotional moments and it honestly stands in my mind as the best redemption story iv seen in a story. Especially comparing him in the final parts of the story to the start and seeing how radically different he is in every way

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Aug 30, 2013 5:13 PM

Jan 2013
Guts from Berserk
Oscar from Rose of Versailles
Punpun from Oyasumi Punpun
Alpha from Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Akari from Aria
Aug 30, 2013 5:16 PM

Dec 2007
Kurosawa from Onanie Master Kurosawa.
Aug 30, 2013 5:26 PM

Nov 2009
My favorite character development (That I can think of right now, anyway) is Kenichi from HSDK. His development is gradual, but I like that. He doesnt just go from wimp to insta-badass like Simon from TTGL, instead, he trains hard and builds confidence while getting stronger and upholding his principles. If you look at the first and latest couple of characters, you see, that he still has that wimpy side, but he doesn't let it dominate his character anymore, that's realistic development.
Aug 30, 2013 5:27 PM

Jan 2012
My favorite would be Ayumu Narumi's reveal
Aug 30, 2013 7:35 PM

Mar 2012
Kyon from Haruhi didn't develop much at all in the show, but his development in the movie was fantastic. Same with Yuki Nagato.

I also can't go without mentioning Renton from Eureka Seven. Wimpy characters tend to have poor character development (See Shinji, Yuki and Shoe) but Renton is the exception.
Aug 30, 2013 7:53 PM

Nov 2012
Okabe from Steins;Gate
Akane from Psycho-Pass

SaberKurisu said:
Kyon from Haruhi didn't develop much at all in the show, but his development in the movie was fantastic.

Totally agree, I didn't like Kyon in the series that much, but his character in the movie was spectacular
Hoshino_MariaAug 30, 2013 7:56 PM
Aug 30, 2013 9:37 PM
Aug 2013
Vegeta in Dragon Ball Z. That's the only character that comes to mind right now.
Aug 30, 2013 11:03 PM

Apr 2009
Agree on the others about Simon from TTGL, for the same reason. Literal 'zero to hero then zero but soon turns into a hero'.
"If you feed me, Seymour, I can grow up big and strong!"
Aug 31, 2013 12:21 AM

Sep 2011
I don't know about favorite, but Yuuhei Azuma from Cross Game comes to mind. That character development man.
Aug 31, 2013 12:33 AM

Jul 2012
Minene Uryuu from Mirai Nikki is my favorite. I love watching cold hearted bitches go tsundere.
Aug 31, 2013 12:43 AM

Aug 2013
Tomoya's character development.
"Canaan. You're a victim whose past was taken away by war. And she's a defeated person who lost her past in a power struggle. Soldiers who are born within destruction take hatred as their weapon. Even though you and her became soldiers for the same reason, you both live differently. Listen Canaan, you cannot counter hatred with hatred... ever." -Siam, Canaan
Aug 31, 2013 12:45 PM

Oct 2012
Yagami Light's. For a protagonist in a shounen series, his development was something really unique and interesting, the ending conclusion in Death Note made his development perfect.

Other honorable mentions:

Wolfgang Grimmer
Reinhard von Lohengramm
Hei
Makunouchi Ippo

oh and manga..

Guts
Kurosawa
Molester Man
Gaara
Aug 31, 2013 1:01 PM

Jul 2011
The guy who faps in toilets....Kurosawa? Man that manga gave me so much inspiration while I was in high school...;)
Aug 31, 2013 1:10 PM

Aug 2012
I'd say Guts (Berserk) and Yoshii (Texhnolyze).
You best be joking, nigger.
Aug 31, 2013 3:59 PM

May 2010
I would say my favorites in character development are...

Garrod Ran & Tiffa Adill-After War Gundam X
Ami Nonomura-Cream Lemon
Waver Velvet-Fate/Zero
Eriko Tamura-Idol Densetsu Eriko
Ruri Hoshino-Martian Successor Nadesico
Parn-Record of Lodoss War OVA
Oscar Francois de Jarjayes-Rose of Versailles
Sakura Shinguji-Sakura Taisen
Jinto Lynn & Lafiel Abriel-Seikai no Monsho/Senki
Noriko Takaya-Top Wo Nerae! Gunbuster
kanon-chanSep 1, 2013 3:45 AM
Sep 1, 2013 2:49 AM

Aug 2012
Kyon (The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya)
Ami Kawashima (Toradora!)
Taiga Aisaka (Toradora!)
Kiritsugu Emiya (The Fate franchise)
---------
Kurosawa (Masterbation Master Kurosawa)
That guy in Molester Man
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you see there being another Ecchi Anime as critically acclaimed as Mushoku Tensei in the future?

Dragevard - Yesterday

23 by Dragevard »»
49 seconds ago

» What makes Anime different from Cartoons ?

tchitchouan - 2 hours ago

16 by elgatosaika »»
4 minutes ago

» Try describing a lawful, neutral, or chaotic good protagonist or two who would totally be troublesome should he/she/they turn into a villain, without telling us who or which anime or manga, or any other fictional works.

IAmOdie - 4 hours ago

3 by TsutanaiFuun »»
12 minutes ago

» Ever stopped watching an anime bc you like it so much ?

Yonahim_Zz - 10 hours ago

22 by TsutanaiFuun »»
18 minutes ago

» Check-in for the Spring 2024 season (for those watching a bunch of seasonals)

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

31 by perseii »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.