Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Hokuto no Ken 2 Episode 43 Discussion

Jan 26, 2009 9:00 PM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
My predictions for this episode after seeing the title:
- Kenshiro kills Kaioh (who, before dying, finally accepts that he is wrong about love. He cries a river and begs forgiveness for all his wrongdoings.)
- Lynn/Rin opens her eyes and sees Bart
- Bart is actually the son of Kenshiro and Julia/Yuria
- The fucking pet dog from the first series miraculously appears and brings all seven Dragon Balls, everybody is resurrected and either
a) The whole crap starts again, or
b) Everybody sings the Dango Daikazoku song and lives happily everafter.

---

It's over.

Well, poo. No begging from Kaioh, Bart is still some little orphan bastard, and neither Dragon Balls nor dango. But Kaioh cried! I knew it.
How stupid of me to expect an ending. Of course there are new fights that await Kenshiro.

Anyway, it's over. I don't really know why, but I liked HnK 1 better - maybe it was the ridiculous villains or maybe it was the fact that it was exactly the same thing as HnK 1, just a little shorter. And with ridiculous villains.
I don't know karate, but I know karazy

Jul 22, 2009 11:15 PM
I liked HnK1 better, the Shura setting didn't really do much for me at all. I almost miss Kenshiro beating the living crap out of fodder enemies.

Jan 25, 2010 5:24 AM

Okay, that was... ridiculously anticlimatic.

Also, I love how they don't give a flying fuck about Lynn's feelings. The poor thing spends two freaking series adoring Ken and in the end she gets paired up with the sidekick. That's what she gets for being a woman in an anime from the 80's, I guess.

And, of course, Hokuto no Ken 1 is much better than this sequel. I'm not exactly sure why, but the whole "Shura arc" was painfully boring.
Modified by Threepwood, Jan 25, 2010 6:41 AM
"I know about people who talk about suffering for the common good. It's never bloody them! When you hear a man shouting "Forward, brave comrades!" you'll see he's the one behind the bloody big rock and the one wearing the only really arrow-proof helmet!"

-- Rincewind gives a speech on politics. (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)

Mar 31, 2010 9:34 AM

Overall, it was a fair bit worse than season one mostly because of the rubbish enemies, endless retcon and re-hashing of elements from HnK1. Although the awesome way Kaioh and Hyo died went some way to making the ending decent. I'll give it 7.5/10

Nov 18, 2010 1:41 AM

Wow Kaioh... thats one badass grave you got yourself there...

All in all this series was weak though and way worse than the first HnK... but I still liked the vibe on this final episode... well except Lynn and that memory thingie... that was such a pathetic way out I just couldn't stomach it no matter how I tried... and due to me liking HnK so much I really tried...

Nov 18, 2010 8:58 AM

After watching the final episode I have forgiven everything I did not like about Part 2.

YOU WA SHOCK!

Aug 2, 2011 7:28 AM

I just realized that Sayaka, or whatever her name is, is also the sister of Raoh and Toki as well. Where the hell was she in all those damn flashbacks. This second series I feel was written by a 10 year old.

Dec 7, 2012 4:16 PM

Wow, that was awful.

The first series made up things at it went along, sometimes contradicting earlier stuff and sometimes not properly finishing things up, but that seems to be all this second series does, constantly throwing new things out only to discard them almost immediately. It's impossible to care about anything after a little while.

It really makes me appreciate the degree of success that the first series achieved. It was silly and unplanned and melodramatic but a lot of the sentiment and tension works. Every attempt at the same in the second series falls flat.

Apr 13, 2013 1:00 AM

I didn't like HnK 2 as much as HnK1.

In HnK 2, the fights are don't by hand lasers like in Dragon Ball Z/GT. This alone is an enough reason makes the season boring.

However, this last episode was so emotional and epic that it made me forget all the boring episodes in this season.

Episode: 10/10
Season: 9/10

May 17, 2013 5:02 PM

Hnk 1 was a lot better, the characters in this season look like they are carbon copies of another characters on season one. Especially Kaioh - Souther. Still, It was pretty badass the way kaoh died, but raoh's death was a lot more epic. I give a 8/10 for the series, and a 10/10 for this episode.
EL PSY KONGROO!!!

Sep 2, 2014 8:09 AM

Zewerr said:
I just realized that Sayaka, or whatever her name is, is also the sister of Raoh and Toki as well. Where the hell was she in all those damn flashbacks. This second series I feel was written by a 10 year old.

Lol I hadn't even thought of that (thinking about the "backstory" would just infuriate me as it's so atrocious), that makes it even more pathetic than i thought.

This episode was quite strong I must admit, and the death scene was quite epic.

That being said S2 was a colossal failure relative to HnK1.

Feb 25, 2015 6:11 AM

Yeah no this second season was just modest at best and bad at worst,the series should have really ended after the first season and it would have been really great.
Literally turning Lynn into the second Yuria,recycling Raoh oh I'm sorry Kaioh and doing the exact same thing again,same with Shachi who was supposed to be Rei no 2,characters nowhere near as memorable compared to the first season and those who were (Ein and Falco) were very quickly disposed off,very bad pacing that really dragged on for just a 43 episodes season....
Only the numerous death scenes were memorable throughout the season,although it got to a point where they really abused this.

Aug 10, 2015 12:36 PM

This was a desperately needed great final episode. The second season is very flawed with lots of ideas thrown into the plot without really much focus. Also the fight scenes evolving into something more akin to DBZ was disappointing.

I was very pleased with how the lin situation finished up though, I was fist pumping when Bat returned as I had been quietly fuming about his absence for so long.

So yeah a Great end to a not so great season. 7/10 but only barely

Dec 9, 2015 3:51 PM

Don't think it was as bad as everyone else said it was here, I mean I never even cared about the writing in the first place because the first seasons writing was horrible too. HnK was only about manly men fighting for me and this delivered on that front. Not saying it's great by any means but then again I never thought so in the first place.

6/10.

Aug 19, 2016 4:13 PM

I didn't really care for this series compared to the first series, but Kenshiro riding off on horseback to the sunrise was a pretty cool way to end it... B)

Jan 6, 2017 12:19 PM
I'm happy that Lin will marry bard instead of Ken

Feb 28, 2018 8:14 PM

Tenth said:
Don't think it was as bad as everyone else said it was here, I mean I never even cared about the writing in the first place because the first seasons writing was horrible too. HnK was only about manly men fighting for me and this delivered on that front. Not saying it's great by any means but then again I never thought so in the first place.

6/10.

Pretty much this. Tho season one had more redeeming qualities,it was still a very entertaining watch.
Kokoro did nothing wrong.

Mar 3, 2018 2:48 PM

I give it an 8 for the soundtrack and the characters. This season had better fighters. Falco, Han, The Harn Bros, Hyoh and Kaioh. Cant beat that. Raoh was the only cool fighter from the first season, the rest were just stepping stones for Ken.

Jul 2, 12:53 AM
The way Kaioh died, perfection.
Very emotional last episode, with the bad guys in the background and all, nostalgia. Bat can be happy now hahaha. Hokuto no Ken 4ever!