Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 30, 2013 8:30 PM

Jul 2013
Before I really got into anime I dressed in my stereotypical tomboy gear of jeans, flannel shirt, and combat boots. Since watching anime my style hasn't completely changed but has become a bit edgier (ie. V-necks, hair down and free, more prone to wear something around my neck, tighter... you get the picture). ;)

So I'm curious how anime has influenced or inspired MAL users' current wardrobe? What characters specifically have opened your eyes or whose's style do you identify with?

For me:

EDIT: You guys surprise me, the majority of you are saying no. With all the discussions on these boards about "sexy," "hot," and "good looking" anime characters, I would think more people would be prone to experimenting with new looks themselves. Hmm... quite intriguing.

EDIT EDIT: A good number of you are stating you aren't inspired at all by anime wardrobes and just wear what is cheap and comfortable, which I see nothing wrong with, but these cheap and comfortable outfits can still have a touch or sense of anime added. Like a t-shirt that has a similar pattern to a character or a shorter toyko skirt. This isn't a topic about cosplay, but how we adopt things we like from anime into the real world.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Some of you are taking this topic as foolish and immature, it is not so. This is simply a topic discussing how anime can translate in real life. Anime is an inspiration, an art, why can't it be respected and reflected in our appearance? Honestly, the lack of creativity is a bit disappointing.
VioletRageJul 31, 2013 6:46 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 30, 2013 8:30 PM

Jul 2013
NO
Jul 30, 2013 8:31 PM

Nov 2008
nope

Jul 30, 2013 8:32 PM

Jul 2012
NO
Jul 30, 2013 8:32 PM

Mar 2012
No. I don't go outside wearing Akatsuki robe.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 30, 2013 8:33 PM

Aug 2012

Jul 2013
NeoAnkara said:
No. I don't go outside wearing Akatsuki robe.

That's to bad! I'm sure you would look great in it ;)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jan 2013
I would hope not. Unless you're cosplaying, most anime characters (the ones that don't dress like normal people) would look very silly in real life.

I miss image BBC Code. May this sig stand as a testament to SSJMaster's power.
Jul 30, 2013 8:34 PM

Aug 2012
Cheap, stylish and useful. My motto in clothing.

And from the type of pics you posted it looks more like you'll have to Cosplay...cuz those clothes aren't that normal. Cosplay fits in none of my criteria.

UNIQLO is the answer
Jul 30, 2013 8:36 PM

Jul 2013
Erenle said:
I would hope not. Unless you're cosplaying, most anime characters (the ones that don't dress like normal people) would look very silly in real life.

LOL, that is quite true. But you don't have to dress exactly like the characters. Is there any aspect of an outfit that you saw and thought," oh, I like that!" and tried to replicate it?
Jul 30, 2013 8:37 PM
Mar 2013
It hasnt changed my style but there are some Characters i wouldnt mind dressing like.
Talk to me! I don't bite!
Jul 30, 2013 8:38 PM

Jan 2013
Erenle said:
Rock Lee dresses in a very casual style, I dun know what da fix u talkin bout.

And chizuru is a woman ahead of her time in current, public, and modern fashion.
PeenusWeenusCaimJul 30, 2013 8:41 PM
Jul 30, 2013 8:39 PM

Mar 2012
Well my friend have a bike using Akatsuki red cloud as a body.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 30, 2013 8:40 PM

Jun 2013
nope

Jul 30, 2013 8:45 PM

Jul 2013
Love the enthusiasm and humor of your responses, but you guys are taking it far to literally. I don't cosplay, and its seems many of you don't either, but that doesn't mean we can't adopt an impressionistic style from a character's appearance or a single item. If you haven't tried it yet, this could be a fun challenge for anyone who wants to try something creative and new in their wardrobe.
Jul 30, 2013 8:48 PM

Jun 2012
Nope
Jul 30, 2013 8:48 PM

Feb 2013
Like any good anime character, I wear the exact same clothes 5/7 days a week, while on those 2 extra days, I will wear something totally random.

However, I have yet to reach a level where I can be like Shaggy and wear the same green shirt and bell bottom trousers for 40 years in a row.
Jul 30, 2013 8:49 PM
Jul 2018
Nope, I still wear the same things I did before I got into anime
Jul 30, 2013 8:55 PM

Jul 2013
Anime hasn't changed my style

...but speaking of cosplay. I would sometimes go out airsofting as Hunk(resident evil), Spiderman, and Rock Lee
Jul 30, 2013 8:56 PM

Jul 2013
Fuck no. Anime has never wanted me to even a get one piece of clothing.

Unlike some film's like Hannibal (fedora) and Bronson/ Leon (glasses)
Jul 30, 2013 8:57 PM

Jul 2013
VioletRage said:
Love the enthusiasm and humor of your responses, but you guys are taking it far to literally. I don't cosplay, and its seems many of you don't either, but that doesn't mean we can't adopt an impressionistic style from a character's appearance or a single item. If you haven't tried it yet, this could be a fun challenge for anyone who wants to try something creative and new in their wardrobe.

Hey, I'll tag along with you and I wear V-necks too lol.

Anime did influence the way I dress but indirectly. I was a bit of a shut-in before and joined some online communities back in the day (07-08, about there). Got to meet some people, guys and girls ... a lot of cute girls. Naturally, as a guy, we'd crush on them but I was (read: was) a shut in so I was a good 100 kg, wearing baggy cargo jeans and a loose shirt. Friends joked that I should shave my head and lose the pimples so I'd look like rapper Fat Joe.

So I thought that was driving them away so I shed some weight (I'm about 82-83 kg now), put on some better clothes (Dark Jeans, Gray V-neck and Black Chucks are my favorites) and got to work. So there :)
Jul 30, 2013 8:58 PM

Aug 2012
Ntad said:
Like any good anime character, I wear the exact same clothes 5/7 days a week, while on those 2 extra days, I will wear something totally random.

I don't get it why most of the Anime characters wear the same clothes every day but they have a closet filled with different clothes. Look at Joshiraku: They only wore the same clothes at work but when they go out, they wore different clothes and hairstyles every episode. Same goes to Paradise Kiss i just saw, but that's about fashion which is obvious. Is laziness the reason?
Jul 30, 2013 8:59 PM

Dec 2011
Ever since I started dressing as a magical girl my self-esteem has gone way up.
Ooo, what a lovely tea party.
Jul 30, 2013 9:00 PM

Feb 2013
MrAwesome2011 said:
Ntad said:

I don't get it why most of the Anime characters wear the same clothes every day but they have a closet filled with different clothes. Look at Joshiraku: They only wore the same clothes at work but when they go out, they wore different clothes and hairstyles every episode. Same goes to Paradise Kiss i just saw, but that's about fashion which is obvious. Is laziness the reason?

Laziness on the part of the characters in question. The character designers are not to blame.
Jul 30, 2013 9:00 PM
Jul 2013
No, not at all.
Everyone in the community is shit taste.
Jul 30, 2013 9:02 PM

Jul 2013
aspampanzer said:
VioletRage said:

Anime did influence the way I dress but indirectly. I was a bit of a shut-in before and joined some online communities back in the day (07-08, about there). Got to meet some people, guys and girls ... a lot of cute girls. Naturally, as a guy, we'd crush on them but I was (read: was) a shut in so I was a good 100 kg, wearing baggy cargo jeans and a loose shirt. Friends joked that I should shave my head and lose the pimples so I'd look like rapper Fat Joe.

So I thought that was driving them away so I shed some weight (I'm about 82-83 kg now), put on some better clothes (Dark Jeans, Gray V-neck and Black Chucks are my favorites) and got to work. So there :)

See this is more of the intention behind the post I was aiming for. I'm not saying I wear a cape everywhere for cryin' out loud, but I do dress to express certain intentions. Anime in general makes me happy and puts me in a good mood, as such I tend to dress a bit better and prouder. A day without anime is a day without sunshine.

I'm glad you're feeling pride in your wardrobe and appearance, aspampanzer! :)

Jan 2013
I do find the school uniforms in some anime pretty fucking cool

Sep 2012
No. But if we are talking about normal clothes that could be possible.
In example I would see myself using a scarf like Kyon

Japanese winter fashion isn't ugly at all.
Jul 30, 2013 9:03 PM

Nov 2008
MrAwesome2011 said:
Ntad said:

Anime has a limited budget, it's the reason why the dolls in Fantasista Doll wear the same clothes as civilians and even when transformed with a few exceptions (Katia's shark costume in ep 3) when Uzume could change them at anytime and then there's the fact that there's a trainload of clothes they could be wearing.

Jul 30, 2013 9:04 PM

Jul 2013
Eckilsax said:
Ever since I started dressing as a magical girl my self-esteem has gone way up.

Good for you! ... though cross dressing wasn't exactly what I had in mind, but whatever makes you happy
Jul 30, 2013 9:11 PM

Jul 2013
Jauregui said:

The scarf is cute! I agree that Japanese winter fashion isn't ugly at all, I may have to consider getting a winter coat from there.
Jul 30, 2013 9:12 PM

Feb 2012
Yes it has a little. It's usually just small thing like a started wearing combat like boots and other small things like that. I'm also not that picky on name brand anymore. I also sometimes wear shirts with characters I like on them.
Jul 30, 2013 9:14 PM

Aug 2012
Jauregui said:

Must... resist... Yuki's... cuteness...
Jul 30, 2013 9:15 PM

Jul 2013
duckuroo said:
Yes it has a little. It's usually just small thing like a started wearing combat like boots and other small things like that. I'm also not that picky on name brand anymore.

I only wear combat boots nowadays. They are the most comfortable and functional. I hadn't thought about it, but I don't really pay attention to name brands now either. I'm always searching for something unique at thrift shops and such.
Jul 30, 2013 9:20 PM

Feb 2012
VioletRage said:
duckuroo said:
Yes it has a little. It's usually just small thing like a started wearing combat like boots and other small things like that. I'm also not that picky on name brand anymore.

I only wear combat boots nowadays. They are the most comfortable and functional. I hadn't thought about it, but I don't really pay attention to name brands now either. I'm always searching for something unique at thrift shops and such.
They extremely comfy and plus mine are waterproof. Last time I was at a thrift shop, Everyone one was like cool American Eagle. I was like OMG those shorts have skulls on them. I'm buying them.
Jul 30, 2013 9:22 PM

Jul 2013
VioletRage said:
duckuroo said:

Speaking of boots...I recently bought a pair of Nike Special Forces Boots at a killer price of $80 (bidded on Ebay, usually runs for $120+) and they're the best!
Jul 30, 2013 9:26 PM

Jul 2013
duckuroo said:
VioletRage said:
duckuroo said:

They extremely comfy and plus mine are waterproof. Last time I was at a thrift shop, Everyone one was like cool American Eagle. I was like OMG those shorts have skulls on them. I'm buying them.

Skulls on shorts?! I love your sense of style! I tend to browse the men's section and the old lady dresses ;) I like things that are ugly, but turn out to look cool when put with other things, like grandpa sweaters and shorts.
Jul 30, 2013 9:28 PM

Jul 2013
zTuazonify said:
VioletRage said:
duckuroo said:

Speaking of boots...I recently bought a pair of Nike Special Forces Boots at a killer price of $80 (bidded on Ebay, usually runs for $120+) and they're the best!

Ebay is a life-saver! My latest pair of Corcoran Military Women's boots I won for $30, which is a steal compared to army surplus stores.
Jul 30, 2013 9:28 PM

Mar 2012
Jauregui said:

Not sure if I'd call that Japanese fashion, but they do look pretty classy.

yukisugoikawaii
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 30, 2013 9:44 PM

Oct 2011
Yup. Walk around in my short skirt Japanese uniform all the time

On a serious note, not really.
_Miyamoto_Jul 30, 2013 9:47 PM
"Do not allow yourself to be blinded by fear or anger. Everything is only as it is."
Jul 30, 2013 9:49 PM

Nov 2010
I don't think so except for the like 3 anime shirts I have.
Jul 30, 2013 9:54 PM

Jul 2013
I use accesories more often to help go with my "image" a lot of smaller things can make a big impression and let a person "know" you before you talk with them
I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jul 30, 2013 10:02 PM

Feb 2013
Not really for me if anything I wear button up collared shirts more often.

Although I wouldn't mind wearing a males kimono around the house.
~ El Psy Congroo~

Jul 30, 2013 10:04 PM

May 2013
No. This question could do with a poll.
Jul 30, 2013 10:04 PM

Dec 2009
Not at all.
Jul 30, 2013 10:05 PM

Jul 2013
VioletRage said:
aspampanzer said:
VioletRage said:

See this is more of the intention behind the post I was aiming for. I'm not saying I wear a cape everywhere for cryin' out loud, but I do dress to express certain intentions. Anime in general makes me happy and puts me in a good mood, as such I tend to dress a bit better and prouder. A day without anime is a day without sunshine.

I'm glad you're feeling pride in your wardrobe and appearance, aspampanzer! :)

You're welcome, and I'll agree with you that any day without anime or manga is indeed dull. Though I find it funny that I'm a guy and I'm sharing how I came to dress like how I am now :))
Jul 30, 2013 10:07 PM

Jun 2008
What?

Yeah, Japanese anime dudes look so cool in those school uniforms and whatnot.
Jul 30, 2013 10:28 PM

Oct 2012
Got so many silk screen Goku shirts you don't even know bro.

Jul 30, 2013 10:33 PM
Jul 2012
nope
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 34 minutes ago

9 by Ex-Aid »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 5 hours ago

20 by luckyrune »»
5 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 2 hours ago

3 by Timeline_man »»
6 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

42 by Kenzolo-folk »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 22

36 by bucciest »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.