Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 28, 2013 6:27 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Decent episode imo. The OST was okay I guess? Hmm...Geez, that's one big elephant..

I'm also getting this festival like mood from the episode. Mm and there goes the ship. Good fight I guess :3

Stark700Jul 28, 2013 6:32 AM
Jul 28, 2013 7:22 AM

Sep 2012
Gosan-okuribi festival is great !

and

TANUKI NABE !!!!

So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 28, 2013 7:27 AM

Dec 2012
The child in me just died, man.
Jul 28, 2013 8:30 AM

Jan 2012
That was enjoyable, you don't see a fireworks fight in the air every day.
The ending had me laughing; YASABURO, THE FUGUTIVE!! XD
Jul 28, 2013 9:13 AM

Jan 2012
The best one for now. I like this show more with every ep.
Jul 28, 2013 9:31 AM
Oct 2012
What a fun episode, this show just keeps on getting better. Best "coming of age" summer animation in a long long while.
Jul 28, 2013 9:40 AM

Jun 2012
Uh oh, not looking forward to Benten's reaction with the next episode being about the Friday Fellows, the group who ate Yasaburo's dad

A perfect storm of bad with Akadama sensei's pride and Ebisugawa pestering isn't looking good for Yasaburo. Just as expected that something was gonna happen to the parlor but losing the fan was probably even worse given that this has been one of the few acts of kindness Benten has done.
HybridMBLJul 28, 2013 9:51 AM
Jul 28, 2013 9:51 AM

Apr 2013
This show is just... too fucking good. Clearly the hidden gem of the season.

Great episode, epic fireworks.
Jul 28, 2013 10:25 AM

May 2012
Great episode! Love that canon fight and then turning to a fireworks.

And I can't stop laughing when the eldest brother Yaichirou was stopping his mother with that big canon and Yasaburou just kicked him and helped with the canon instead! What a family.

This episode felt too short.
Jul 28, 2013 10:28 AM

May 2013
Shooting fireworks against each other lol.
Jul 28, 2013 10:39 AM
Dec 2012
It was enjoyable. That aerial battle was thrilling thanks to Ghibli-like execution. Also I enjoyed the fabulous atmosphere of Kyoto. The show often makes me explore the city with Google Earth.

Hope he will survive in next episode. Fingers crossed
Jul 28, 2013 10:41 AM

Mar 2013
Probably the best episode out of anything this season
Jul 28, 2013 11:14 AM

Mar 2010
What a way to celebrate a festival by blasting each other's ship with fireworks.
Jul 28, 2013 11:22 AM
Mar 2012
The fact that this show only has a rating of 7.31 amazes me.
Jul 28, 2013 11:25 AM

Oct 2007
Zyrocz said:

You realize that's a really good score right? A hell of a lot higher than I would give it at this point because lets face it not a hell of a lot of has gone on in this show yet.

The problem is MAL is like a video game review site that subscribes to Hate out of Ten philosophy where anything not within the top 20 percentile is somehow considered to be bad which is just utterly ridiculous cause you might as well just make it a scale of 1 to 3 at that rate.
Jul 28, 2013 11:26 AM

Apr 2012
One of the best looking shows this year. Everything about this episode was perfectly executed.
Jul 28, 2013 11:28 AM

Jan 2011
BE INTERESTING
RACCOON DOG
SO GOOD SO GOOD

Nice firework battle! What a great eccentric family! Seriously the mom is so awesome.
VioLinkJul 28, 2013 11:33 AM
[center]
Jul 28, 2013 11:37 AM

Dec 2012
Next episode we get to see more Friday Fellows. Been curious about them since the beginning.
Jul 28, 2013 11:46 AM

Aug 2010
Oh man this series is so much fun hahaha :D

Loved the fireworks fight in the air XDXDXD

And that Rai Jin Fan is EPIC!

Ben ten is such a tease hehehe. Run Yasaburo LOL.

Really love Yasaburo as a MC. He's hilarious and awesome :)

And his Mom is awesome too XD The whole family is so eccentric XD

And the old mans love for sake is face palm inducing XD
Barion-ZaraJul 28, 2013 11:49 AM
Jul 28, 2013 11:54 AM

May 2012
Barion-Zara said:

Exactly! Haha, he rather fall than give the last sake to the teakettle.
Jul 28, 2013 11:58 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
rebelakuma said:
Barion-Zara said:

Exactly! Haha, he rather fall than give the last sake to the teakettle.
We all have our priorities. I would have had trouble giving it up as well.
Jul 28, 2013 11:58 AM

Jul 2012
Another great episode ;D
Jul 28, 2013 12:02 PM
Aug 2011
Can't say i've ever seen an anime with an aerial firework battle until now and it sure was entertaining.
Visual treat.

eminagnam said:
It was enjoyable. That aerial battle was thrilling thanks to Ghibli-like execution.

To me it was the forest scenes with the father that felt Ghibliesque.
Not really similar but the scale of it all reminded me of the Nightwalker in Princess Mononoke.
Jul 28, 2013 12:32 PM

Feb 2009
Their father was really badass! How in the world he ended up being eaten?!

That fight was funny, poor MC I sure hope he doesn't ended up like his father.
Jul 28, 2013 1:13 PM

Apr 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Zyrocz said:

You realize that's a really good score right? A hell of a lot higher than I would give it at this point because lets face it not a hell of a lot of has gone on in this show yet.

The problem is MAL is like a video game review site that subscribes to Hate out of Ten philosophy where anything not within the top 20 percentile is somehow considered to be bad which is just utterly ridiculous cause you might as well just make it a scale of 1 to 3 at that rate.

It's not a really good score, we need to stop pretending 1-5 even exists. There are only about 30 or so anime on this site rated less than a 5 out of 6357. Any rating at this point is speculative and based on our expectations on what the later episodes will deliver. I'm not sure why anyone would be rating based on how much substance we've already been given because we're not even half-way through. I'm sure some people disagree with the current score because they are much more optimistic towards this series.
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
Jul 28, 2013 1:30 PM

Jan 2011
Ineptia said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Zyrocz said:

It's not a really good score, we need to stop pretending 1-5 even exists. There are only about 30 or so anime on this site rated less than a 5 out of 6357. Any rating at this point is speculative and based on our expectations on what the later episodes will deliver. I'm not sure why anyone would be rating based on how much substance we've already been given because we're not even half-way through. I'm sure some people disagree with the current score because they are much more optimistic towards this series.

Just to point out that extracting a mean (average) score from the ratings is inappropriate because at best the MAL rating scale is ordinal and what you really want is ratio data in order to generate a true and meaningful Mean. I think looking at the stats tab to note what the Median or Mode scores are, might be the best way to approach this and is statistically more valid. That doesn't address two of the other main problems with MAL ratings:

1. The subjective scoring: at best we can say that an individuals ranking of anime A as a 6 and anime B as a 7 only indicates that they thought B was better than A. Since there is no standard interval between 6 and 7 we can't go beyond that to say that the difference is the same as between B and anime C rated an 8, nor can we say that the difference between C and A is twice the difference between C and B. It gets worse when we add in other people's scores, since Tom's 6 may be entirely different from what Ahmed's 6 or Yuki's 6 means in their minds.

2. Self-selection and bias among raters: A hint of yaoi will make Tom drop a show, give it a rating of 1 or 2 and head for the hills. Yuki prefers BL but will watch a wider range of shows, however any ecchi or fan service will usually drop her ratings by a point or two. Ahmed tries to rate scientifically around a centre point of 5.5 (since he took one of my grad courses), but because he doesn't watch shoujo or josei shows he missed Chihayafuru, Madoka, and Kimi ni Todoke and hence any score he generates is invalid....

You get the picture...
rodacJul 28, 2013 2:29 PM
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jul 28, 2013 1:38 PM
Aug 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:
You realize that's a really good score right?

It's definitely not a "really good score".

Though any talks about score should be left until the end of the series.
It's unlikely that Uchouten Kazoku will do the same but I have seen some shows skyrocket up the ratings.
One recent example is Shinsekai Yori which used to be around the ~#1,400 mark (possibly lower) midway through and now it's at #123.

Oh and most importantly are you even still watching this?
Jul 28, 2013 2:07 PM

Jan 2011
parfaited said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
You realize that's a really good score right?

It's definitely not a "really good score".

Though any talks about score should be left until the end of the series.
It's unlikely that Uchouten Kazoku will do the same but I have seen some shows skyrocket up the ratings.
One recent example is Shinsekai Yori which used to be around the ~#1,400 mark (possibly lower) midway through and now it's at #123.

Oh and most importantly are you even still watching this?

Shinseki Yori is actually a great example of selection bias, the early ratings were strongly influenced by the same sex relationships among some of the characters during the early episodes. That caused a shitstorm of abusive comments (which even infected other show's threads) and had a bunch of people dropping the show after dumping a low score. Those who stuck with the show after it (and the characters themselves) moved out of that stage thought very highly of it. There seems to be a tendency for those people who stick with a show until the end before rating it, to give higher scores. (My observation, I haven't done a formal tally or run an analysis on it, but it seems to be the case.) The late scorers (and possibly an influx of word-of-mouth late viewers who had been warned about the early episodes and were prepared for them) created a massive jump.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jul 28, 2013 2:35 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
rodac said:
2. Self-selection and bias among raters: A hint of Yaoi will make Tom drop a show, give it a rating of 1 or 2 and head for the hills. Yuki prefers BL but will watch a wider range of shows, however any ecchi or fan service will usually drop her ratings by a point or two. Ahmed tries to rate scientifically around a centre point of 5.5 (since he took one of my grad courses), but because he doesn't watch shoujo or josei shows he missed Chihayafuru, Madoka, and Kimi ni Todoke and hence any score he generates is invalid....
This. I simply don't watch shows I think I won't like. I don't want to waste my time. So, there are a LOT of shows out there that would get a 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 from me but since I will never watch them, they won't. Shows are mostly watched by people who think they will like them, and thus mostly get 'good' scores because, usually, that's what happens.

I only use the scores of individual MAL users I know as a gauge as to what I might like, since I know and understand what their interests are like.
CratexJul 28, 2013 2:39 PM
Jul 28, 2013 3:24 PM

Jul 2013
Man, who would've thought that they would fighting with fireworks lol, that takes fighting fire with fire to a literal level. I really enjoyed this episode, and it looks like Yasaburo is now a fugitive xD. Also, the old man really wanted that sake, although the tear room was falling, man, I can't wait for next week's episode.
Jul 28, 2013 4:10 PM

Jan 2008
Yasaburo is the ultimate badass. Dat speech before blowing the Ebisugawas out of the sky.
Jul 28, 2013 4:54 PM

Dec 2009
I LOVED this episode.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Jul 28, 2013 5:11 PM

Oct 2012
That was a fun episode
Jul 28, 2013 5:19 PM

Aug 2012
Another great one, the aerial firework battle is insta-classic.

MaxCrazy7 said:
Their father was really badass! How in the world he ended up being eaten?!
That's what I'm wondering, he must've been betrayed by someone, or maybe age dissipated his transformation skills.
Jul 28, 2013 5:24 PM

Oct 2012
Oh man, that was a great episode. Really loving this series and every episode is just so fun and enjoyable to watch. I actually felt really sorry for the Yasaburo at the end of this episode. Well, I'll be looking forward to the next week to find out what happens to him.
Jul 28, 2013 5:28 PM

Jan 2013
45Ravager said:
Man, who would've thought that they would fighting with fireworks lol, that takes fighting fire with fire to a literal level. I really enjoyed this episode, and it looks like Yasaburo is now a fugitive xD. Also, the old man really wanted that sake, although the tear room was falling, man, I can't wait for next week's episode.
This.

Best episode yet, imo.
Overall, really enjoyable.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jul 28, 2013 6:05 PM

May 2013
trampler8324 said:
The best one for now. I like this show more with every ep.

agree

looking forward to the next ep, i want to see more of Benten <3
Jul 28, 2013 6:29 PM

Jun 2013
oh man that ending lol
Jul 28, 2013 6:57 PM

Jan 2013
That was great.
The animation was beautiful, maybe the best this season.
Jul 28, 2013 7:12 PM

Oct 2009
This series continually reminds me of studio Ghibli ... consistently entertaining thus far ^_^
Jul 28, 2013 9:13 PM

Sep 2011
that was a lot of laugh.
agreed with ppl who mentioned Ghibli. such a fantasy..
fugitive and Friday Fellows time. chow chow.
Jul 28, 2013 11:11 PM
Jan 2013
this anime always makes me want to watch more of it, but sadly it seems like episodes end as quickly as i start watching it

animation, art, story, characters are all superb; I couldn't ask for anymore eye-candy

of course, I was hoping for sensei to give up that last bit of sake but I guess luck wasn't on their side...again.... also I'm gonna miss that tearoom full of memories; you take what you can get.

*baby yasaburou was so cute as a fluffball

also it's still bothering me about yajirou's story and why he's a frog in the first place
Jul 29, 2013 5:01 AM

Jul 2010
What a stubborn old man! He'd rather drop than give his last bit of alcohol.

Seems like Yasaburou is a fugitive now. He lost the fan after all. xD

Jul 29, 2013 5:29 AM

Jun 2010
Lololol nice ep!

Seems like next ep will have a lot of Benten. I can't wait.
Jul 29, 2013 6:22 AM

Nov 2012
New aerial firework battle.Found it funny how stubborn the old man was and didn't share his sake.Yasaburo "The fugitive" lol.And next episode the Friday Fellows?
Jul 29, 2013 8:38 AM

Mar 2009
The animation in this series is simply precious! Also, I love the Mother.
I don't want to imagine how Benten will actually punish Yasaburo..
Jul 29, 2013 9:53 AM

Apr 2011
Great episode, this is probably my favorite show this show this season. It's hard to say that against HxH and Bakemonogatari, but it's certainly up there with them. Can't wait to see more explained about Benten and the tanuki's dad. I have a feeling it wasn't as simple as just him getting eaten by the friday fellows, and I'm very curious to see what really happened. I also think they would hold far more resentment towards Benten if she was the cause of it.

I honestly thought the professor was going to manage to somehow use a bit of his tengu power and keep the teahouse afloat after that big speech, but no lol.

loved it.
Jul 29, 2013 10:04 AM

Aug 2012
darn, amazing episode T_T i love this series more and more by each episode. personally, one of the best anime this season, along with Monogatari Series.

now i'm really curious, why Benten was on Ebisugawa family's boat? what's the connection between her and them? and the most important question is, where's Kaisei?? i thought she would appear since she's also an Ebisugawa.

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Jul 29, 2013 10:09 AM

Apr 2011
Choroshi said:
darn, amazing episode T_T i love this series more and more by each episode. personally, one of the best anime this season, along with Monogatari Series.

now i'm really curious, why Benten was on Ebisugawa family's boat? what's the connection between her and them? and the most important question is, where's Kaisei?? i thought she would appear since she's also an Ebisugawa.

There's certainly a lot of unanswered questions. I think a lot of it has to do with what happened to the tanukis dad, and some major event that happened in the past that they don't like to openly talk about.
Jul 29, 2013 10:35 AM

Aug 2012
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:

There's certainly a lot of unanswered questions. I think a lot of it has to do with what happened to the tanukis dad, and some major event that happened in the past that they don't like to openly talk about.

i guess so. Since the next episode will be about the friday fellows (and more appearances of Benten, aw yeahhh), i hope there will also be some explanations about the incident.

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2013

83 by blinddig »»
Mar 8, 1:54 AM

Poll: » Do you think the series will get a s3?

Vamp_Lord - Oct 28, 2023

4 by InNeedOfAName »»
Oct 30, 2023 6:30 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2013

95 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 10, 2023 6:26 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2013

105 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 9, 2023 4:27 PM

» How can someone willingly eat someone they know??

Gilsaber - Jul 15, 2021

14 by JKKH »»
Jul 27, 2023 8:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.