Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 7, 2009 8:59 AM
Oct 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
No Nakiami in this episode. But it wasn't bad.
KinetaSep 13, 2012 11:40 AM
Jan 9, 2009 6:41 PM

Aug 2007
It's funny, not a lot really happened, yet there was still a lot of drama. >___ > at the baby being dropped into the... liquid
shadowrazeJan 9, 2009 6:48 PM
Jan 9, 2009 9:59 PM

Jun 2007
that was sad with the baby :(. Didn't really understand that part of the episode. Are those people purposely putting them selves in harms way and then joining up at the quickening chamber just to die by a Xam'd or are they all born with some kind of physical disability that causes their body's to slowly die?

I'm under the impression that we've learned about several different religions in this series that all somehow link to the quickening chamber, am I right?
1) Northerners have their own separate religion (ie. The weird kids follow the religion and the old women). They also seem to rely heavily on human forms and plan to meet at the quickening chamber.
2) Nakiami's people have a similar religion to the north's but they seem to have a stronger attachment to nature and those little spirits. Xam'd also seem to be something sacred to them.
3) The weird people in the quickening chamber that wish to die.
4) Southerners seem to be a mix but they look down on the northerners and any type of human forms.
5) The Emperor that's in the glass that people we're reviving.

I'm sure we'll find out what's going on soon....at least I hope.
Jan 9, 2009 10:23 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
this series is one of the most confusing I've ever watched. I've watched every episode so far and yet I think I know what's going on/understand what's happening like 50% of the time.

This episode too, I enjoyed it very much; there was a lot of drama, but I don't really understand what all the drama was for.

Thanks DeathfireD for what you posted above me. That helps a lot :)

Hopefully by the end of the series I'll fully understand this amazing anime.
p r o f i l e 👀
Jan 10, 2009 10:25 AM

Aug 2008
DeathfireD said:
that was sad with the baby :(. Didn't really understand that part of the episode. Are those people purposely putting them selves in harms way and then joining up at the quickening chamber just to die by a Xam'd or are they all born with some kind of physical disability that causes their body's to slowly die?

I'm under the impression that we've learned about several different religions in this series that all somehow link to the quickening chamber, am I right?
1) Northerners have their own separate religion (ie. The weird kids follow the religion and the old women). They also seem to rely heavily on human forms and plan to meet at the quickening chamber.
2) Nakiami's people have a similar religion to the north's but they seem to have a stronger attachment to nature and those little spirits. Xam'd also seem to be something sacred to them.
4) Southerners seem to be a mix but they look down on the northerners and any type of human forms.

I was just about to post about how I have no clue as to what is actually happening in this show. What seemed really great and well-thought out in the beginning has become a super nebulous enigma to me. Tojiro dies and I still have no clue about what tormented him this whole time, nor do I know what he was even there for. Ryuzo killed him after saying he wouldn't for slashing his eye and walking away? None of this made any sense at all. I'm really disappointed. I feel like my bubble has been burst.
Jan 10, 2009 5:24 PM
Jun 2008
I don't understand this episode and any other episode since Akiyuki and Nakiami split. After that, it just became some weird spiritual journey of complex warfare. Tojiro dies. What the hell? I'm also disappointed with the direction of this series. It used to be so much better. Oh yeah, Midori is still a moron.
Jan 10, 2009 5:48 PM

May 2008
Interesting that Kakisu dies 4 episodes before the end, i think they should had at least had one episode about the past war with Sentan Island, The Northern continent and the Far East Autonomy so there wouldn't be any confusion.
Jan 10, 2009 8:18 PM

Nov 2007
So the Commander is finally taken out, not much else really happening D: not much Akiyuki and not even a glimpse of Nakiami =/
Jan 11, 2009 2:08 AM

Jun 2007
noteDhero said:
DeathfireD said:

I was just about to post about how I have no clue as to what is actually happening in this show. What seemed really great and well-thought out in the beginning has become a super nebulous enigma to me. Tojiro dies and I still have no clue about what tormented him this whole time, nor do I know what he was even there for. Ryuzo killed him after saying he wouldn't for slashing his eye and walking away? None of this made any sense at all. I'm really disappointed. I feel like my bubble has been burst.

I think we will learn about Tojiro's past in the coming episodes. But ya they need a good episode to explain what happen in the past.

Here's what I came up with about why he wanted to die. The kid in the quickening chamber talks about the weird people wanting to die due to inner pains and sadness they've experienced in the world and be reborn. Haru then says "how could they do that to a baby" and the kid says some things about the people and then looks at Haru and says "you should know, you too are a (insert whatever race he called her). They are people who went on the great pilgrimage bla bla bla". So that explains why Haru may have the power to hear Xams and communicate with them. I'm guessing Tojiro is the same and was having the same inner pains that the weird people in the quickening chamber have thus wanted to die and be reborn. Ryuzo Killed the current Tojiro knowing that it was the only thing he could do to make Tojiro happy. If he had just sat there he himself would have been killed anyway. I still suspect Tojiro to be someone special though. He may come back as a human form in a future ep.

Also I hate seeing the captain of the ship randomly on the battle field in the north trying to reach something we have no idea about.
Jan 11, 2009 9:46 AM

Aug 2008
I thought something along those lines, too, but I don't think that Tojiro and Haru are the same. Haru never has had any suicidal tendencies during the whole show. She's never seemed nearly as conflicted as Tojiro. There is something special about Haru, and something special about Tojiro, but I'm starting to think that there won't be flashback episode. We're getting way too close to the end, so now it's feeling more obligatory than dramatically possible. It would have worked really well in this episode where there was so much introspection. Now it seems like the time for action.
Jan 11, 2009 6:03 PM

Jun 2007
noteDhero said:
I thought something along those lines, too, but I don't think that Tojiro and Haru are the same. Haru never has had any suicidal tendencies during the whole show. She's never seemed nearly as conflicted as Tojiro. There is something special about Haru, and something special about Tojiro, but I'm starting to think that there won't be flashback episode. We're getting way too close to the end, so now it's feeling more obligatory than dramatically possible. It would have worked really well in this episode where there was so much introspection. Now it seems like the time for action.

Ya, I agree on both the things you said. Haru is indeed different.

I wouldnt say that, they may show a flash back at the beginning of an episode just to explain some things to us. Either that or one of the characters will talk about what happened in the past briefly.
Jan 11, 2009 6:57 PM

Aug 2007
Just made me even more confused.
Jan 11, 2009 9:11 PM

Aug 2008
DeathfireD said:
Also I hate seeing the captain of the ship randomly on the battle field in the north trying to reach something we have no idea about.
They're trying to storm the Hiruken Emperor's palace. It would be considerably epic if they spent a little more time showing it.
noteDhero said:
We're getting way too close to the end, so now it's feeling more obligatory than dramatically possible.
Yeah, right. I for one expect 50 episodes.
脱ぎません!_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Jan 11, 2009 9:38 PM

May 2008
JadeMatrix said:
DeathfireD said:
They're trying to storm the Hiruken Emperor's palace. It would be considerably epic if they spent a little more time showing it.
noteDhero said:
We're getting way too close to the end, so now it's feeling more obligatory than dramatically possible.
Yeah, right. I for one expect 50 episodes.
yea its supposed to be 50eps they split it up to 2 seasons. from what i heard. thats why the pace is so slow
Jan 11, 2009 9:51 PM

Aug 2008
ohhhh, i was totally unaware of this. What could possibly happen for another 20 something episodes? This show didn't feel slow until a few episodes back. It had a really great pace before then. I don't know how I feel abut a whole second season. Maybe once this is finished they will have found somewhere to go...besides a timeskip
Jan 12, 2009 2:05 AM

Oct 2007
I have never heard this, from what I've heard 26 episodes is two seasons in Japan, just not the way Americans are use to this. This show has been absolutely horrible at explaining things as they just throw out terms and names and expect you to pick it up, which is fine in small to medium doses but this whole anime has not explained any past events which is amazingly annoying, which is why I think it needs another 26 episodes. The whole show is just misleading, when you expect it to develop one way, they just totally change direction like with the amnesia. This anime should really be expanded otherwise the rest of the episodes have to be absolutely amazing at explaining crap. The Dr. was pretty hardcore, after you have your eye slashed out with a sword and you shoot the Commander in the head, you finish eating that bento off the ground.

"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees." By Emiliano Zapata
Jan 12, 2009 4:23 AM

Aug 2007
All I can say is "I'm confused" So many things going on. And I thought that there were only 26 episodes too. Another season, really. Wow, well so much can be done in this anime anyways. Nice episode.
Jan 12, 2009 5:04 AM

Aug 2008
@kenny35, noteDhero, Jarmel, SHInoSHIkamaru

Two words: Eureka Seven.

@Jarmel

Yes, it's made in Japan. It first aired on the US PSN, though (wait, doesn't that make it an ONA?). So they could very well have meant US seasons. At this rate, they probably did.
脱ぎません!_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Jan 12, 2009 5:55 AM

Sep 2008
i'm suprised people are so confused....

Personally i thought this was one of the best episodes of an anime i've ever seen. Was some great conflict, they killed of the commander, and there was some brilliant animation to ad to that. Also if this series is going to end up being 50 episodes i will be suprised but also very happy. To me it seems like its getting close to a conclusion.
Jan 12, 2009 6:55 AM

Aug 2008
So then can you explain all these factions, what the war is over, and what Tojiro's whole motivation was? Because I would really appreciate that.

P.S. I'm serious, not trying to be a d-bag.
Jan 12, 2009 7:55 AM

Oct 2007
@ JadeMatrix

Eureka Seven had a much clearer plot progression (although there were one or two holes but eh) and characters were much better defined.

Also it is 26 episodes, they have the titles up to 26 and someone translated it and the 26th has the word Finale in the translation. Look it up on the Animesuki forum for this.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=64315&page=64

"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees." By Emiliano Zapata
Jan 12, 2009 5:51 PM

Jun 2007
noteDhero said:
So then can you explain all these factions, what the war is over, and what Tojiro's whole motivation was? Because I would really appreciate that.

P.S. I'm serious, not trying to be a d-bag.

It's over religion and race, whats new? lol

I'm not 100% sure how the war started though.
Jan 12, 2009 6:41 PM

Sep 2008
yea the war will be over power, religion, discrimination, race etc like any war usually is. If theres some other reason then obviously it will be revealed but i really don't think there is.

Other things will also obviously be explained in the last few episodes, but i don't see how the series is confusing because of not knowing these things. I think whats happening in the plot is clear.
Jan 13, 2009 6:12 AM

Aug 2008
What's happening in the plot is clear, but a lot of the character motivations are not, so knowing about the war and a lot of the background fills in the blanks. As I said before, Tojiro seemed to be evil only because he had to be for the script. I'd like t know what happened so that his character isn't merely a plot device. The series is weakened because of that. Now there are like 3 different religions when I thought they were all different denominations of the same religion, there is just a lot of context missing on that front. The Akiyuki and Nakiyami front is fine, but the Midori and Haru one is very occluded.
Jan 14, 2009 7:46 PM

Sep 2007
I have no idea what the war is about, how many countries there are, or how long they've been fighting.

As for Tojiro:
- He says was fighting to "take back" Sentan Island for his mother. So his mother was probably exiled from Sentan Island by the Northern Government (or whichever one was in power previously, I forget)

- He obviously did not get along with his stepfather, which explains why he left his mother to join the military.

- He was saved by Dr. Ryuzo, and seems to feel like that was a mistake (probably because he realizes that the experiments he has been overseeing are evil)

- He is in love with Sukakki, but their relationship cannot continue, probably because of their positions. Either that, or Sukakki is unwilling to start one for reasons of her own. We'll have to see her reaction to his death (if he is dead).

You can sort of piece together his motivation from there.
Jan 15, 2009 12:23 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Crazy episode. Sucks to see that Midori already mutated though, I don't want her to die. D:

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 15, 2009 12:25 PM

Feb 2008
cyruz said:
Sucks to see that Midori already mutated though

Yeah >.<
Akiyuki's father was great in this episode. :D
Jan 15, 2009 8:08 PM

Feb 2008
Im hoping for an all out war with main characters falling like dominoes...... :)
Jan 21, 2009 11:51 AM
Mar 2008
He should have shot Toujiro while he was talking all big before he lost his eye lol.
Feb 5, 2009 12:18 PM
Dec 2007
Great direction and great execution in this episode but I'm confused as well about the script. Half of the characters have been under-exploited in this show, like the crew of the ship which doesn't have a role anymore in the plot or this seemingly evil commander who died without any motive or didn't do anything significative in the plot either. Even the Nakiam/Akiyuki relationship has been under-exploited, they just forgot about each other and do totally different things now, it's like there is no dramatization and coherence whatsoever. Really strange.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Feb 9, 2009 6:48 AM

Jul 2008
woah now one of those evil died, and the end was great as always. with all the talk about how happy she would be if he said its good, but in the end he always said it. showed me again how well the relationship is, even when they always parted.

Feb 12, 2009 9:24 PM

Jan 2008
Great episode though the baby bit was....
Feb 13, 2009 4:50 AM
Feb 2009
Plot and characters aside Xam'd probably has one of the most believable fantasy world in any anime. I'd really like to see it used in an MMO or RPG.
Apr 8, 2009 10:25 AM

Dec 2007
Best episode yet! Some great dialogue in this one.
May 18, 2009 7:51 AM

Aug 2008
De-JaY said:
cyruz said:
Sucks to see that Midori already mutated though

Yeah >.<
Akiyuki's father was great in this episode. :D

Midori, I felt so sad seeing her ;__;

And hell yeh to Ryuzo. It was interesting hearing the story of how he saved Tojiro (though I don't think he should have grrrr). As Deadpool above me said some great dialogue.

Man, the fight between them though. It was kind of sad to see Tojiro look toward the sunset as he thought of his mama. I felt sad, but then I felt bad for feeling that way cos he was such a bastard! xD

A great episode. I look forward to more.
Aug 26, 2010 9:21 PM

Sep 2009
this episode was messed up i am even more confused on what is going on :/

Sep 12, 2010 3:45 PM

Jan 2010
This series is headed towards a trainwreck. I don't know what else to say. Hopefully the next few episodes can save something.
Dec 17, 2010 5:44 AM

Oct 2009
Now I can finally understand what's going on, lots of explainning in this episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 13, 2011 3:12 PM

Aug 2010
I don't get what's going on at all. It's been the same ever since this show started. So many things to be revealed and explained and yet they do nothing about it. It's like they think the viewers know everything about the world this anime takes place in. I'm only watching this because of a few characters that I like and that's it, because the plot really is going nowhere.
Dec 29, 2011 5:32 AM

Sep 2010
That is right, from the start of the show, they didn't explain how and why the war started. But it is already episode 22, so I guess now it is time for some action.
Feb 26, 2012 10:42 PM

Sep 2008
So Akiyuki's father didn't fire no matter what. But then his eye gets slashed and he is more than willing to shoot. Stupid. Waste of an eye over something retarded.

Also, I was really hoping that commander would die a better death. Maybe one where he tries to repent. Guess that didn't happen.

Currently it feels like this anime is trying to do too many things and many of them just aren't linking up in the larger picture.
Jul 15, 2012 4:11 PM

Nov 2007
when Kakisu died I proclaimed YES!

seriously hated that douchebag. good riddance.Akiyuki's dad got stabbed, but is alive at least.

it really has been weird since the split. there's just too much going on. I have no idea what Ragio is doing.
Apr 9, 2013 3:41 PM

May 2012
Good that that fucker has been shot... still taking Akiyuki father's eye and fucking up poor Midori! That separated way of living sure was a bit extreme but gives an interesting look on those people!

Really interesting development so far, lets see what's next!
May 17, 2013 4:03 PM

May 2010
Lol I am so glad I am not the only one not understanding what the heck is going on in this show.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jul 12, 2013 5:15 PM
Feb 2008
Its kind of funny that the Dr went out of his way to save Tojiro but kills him anyway. Shouldn't he take his wife and leave won't the government come after him?

The voices they've been using sound worst as well.
Oct 16, 2013 2:54 PM

Jun 2012
This is a pretty shitty show but Tojiro was a pretty likable villain, if he is the villain, I honestly have no clue whats going on.
Feb 24, 2014 3:43 AM

Aug 2013
Kakisu getting shot point blank was so satisfying.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Aug 5, 2015 11:27 AM

Nov 2011
great

another death no one really cares about

jesus fucking christ the adults feel like the real main characters now and it's a shame they WEREN'T the main characters to boot with

i swear to fuck this show just doesn't know what the fuck it wants to achieve in life

Confucius said:
Lol I am so glad I am not the only one not understanding what the heck is going on in this show.

doesn't matter if you are or not
what matters is you know the show makes no fucking sense

Shuhan said:
This is a pretty shitty show but Tojiro was a pretty likable villain, if he is the villain, I honestly have no clue whats going on.

haha and that's coming from a tokyo ghoul pleb like you
well said, little nipple!
Aug 31, 2020 7:28 PM

Nov 2019
Rip the docs eye : c
I honestly did not expect him to kill that guy and I don think mid is gonna survive :((
Jan 20, 2022 10:41 AM

Jun 2017
Tojiro dead? Good riddance. Never liked him or understood him. He acted like he had two personalities.
This show suffers from narrative issues. All the lore (or the lack of it) should make me curious but it is only making me annoyed.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bounen no Xamdou Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TechnicsMKII - Feb 3, 2009

243 by Erdgeist »»
Oct 30, 2023 3:47 AM

Poll: » Bounen no Xamdou Episode 25 Discussion

Esquire - Jan 28, 2009

47 by MFDOOMED »»
Jul 13, 2023 7:22 AM

Poll: » Bounen no Xamdou Episode 24 Discussion

cyruz - Jan 21, 2009

48 by MFDOOMED »»
Jul 13, 2023 6:23 AM

Poll: » Bounen no Xamdou Episode 23 Discussion

daveid9001 - Jan 14, 2009

45 by MFDOOMED »»
Jul 13, 2023 5:47 AM

Poll: » Bounen no Xamdou Episode 21 Discussion

windy - Dec 31, 2008

46 by MFDOOMED »»
Jul 12, 2023 9:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.