Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 26, 2013 1:36 PM

Nov 2012
bonifide said:
Episode wasnt sad it tried to be sad. All they really want to do is to control my boy if he didnt have that mech they could gives a rats ass if he left. Ridgett probably the biggest hypocrite in the show. So far this probably the worst episode. She knew him for 6 months and crying. Yet she aint fucking crying aobut one of her bestfriends leaving give me a break.

I know right? Melty didn't even tell them she was going and when they found out they just run up and go "oh, too bad". I thought they'd cry or hug at the very least or watch her go but nope. It's all about staring at Ledo from some balcony area and being all melancholy.
May 26, 2013 1:42 PM

Oct 2010
Spirai said:

I know right? Melty didn't even tell them she was going and when they found out they just run up and go "oh, too bad". I thought they'd cry or hug at the very least or watch her go but nope. It's all about staring at Ledo from some balcony area and being all melancholy.

Yeah and i agree with your earlier post. I dont care about most of the characters. I dont even care about Amy. It's just puppy love and thats it. Thinking she can change somebody lifestyle in 6 months. So far the show is getting worse and worse. I guess Valvrave will feel my mecha needs.

Your probably right about all the writers. I dont even see why it got romance in the genre when its not even that good. I do see some cheesy ass kiss scene in the end or i love you or w/e. lol
May 26, 2013 1:44 PM

Dec 2009
Nicely executed episode, but certain parts keeps annoying me, such as the thing about Amy not caring about her friend leaving. Or how no-one actually tries to understand Ledo or try to explain things to him. Or this sudden shift in mood that really clashes with the earlier episodes (why did Pinion become such a jerk?).
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

May 26, 2013 2:00 PM

Jul 2007
Gargantia continues to be the best serious show this season. Brilliant send off for fleet commander and character development for pretty much every character in the cast.

Again LOL at people who were expecting generic mecha action from this show. Urobuchi does not do "generic" and while he loves killing characters, most of his best material is filled with character introspection first and action latter(ex: 85% of Madoka being character interactions and only 15% being actual fighting). People had to have learned it by now.

Marow said:
Nicely executed episode, but certain parts keeps annoying me, such as the thing about Amy not caring about her friend leaving. Or how no-one actually tries to understand Ledo or try to explain things to him. Or this sudden shift in mood that really clashes with the earlier episodes (why did Pinion become such a jerk?).

The show already explained that its a person vendetta for him.
May 26, 2013 2:01 PM

Feb 2013
This was a quiet episode, and quite sad despite the fact that we hardly knew the Commander Fairlock. I have to say that of all the episodes, this was the only one where I have to say that everyone, in some capacity, was in the right.

Ridget is placed in command and she's not ready for it, but she matures through the episode and learns to rely on others in order to lead. Despite the fact that Amy and Bellows call the people who are leaving idiots and fools, I don't see what's wrong with them trying to do what they want to be happy? They have the right to pursue their own happiness elsewhere, they are not prisoners and therefore don't have to stay with Gargantia. Flange and the others don't seem in particular to be greedy or anything, they just either don't accept Ridget as the new leader, or they believe there is a future for them in finding Earth's lost technology. They are nothing wrong with that, they are allowed to chose their own path as human beings.

Yet, also, I can see why Gargantians also feel the way they do since they feel that they people leaving are foolhardy for wanting what is forbidden. They see it as suicide and are feeling abandoned, that's natural and all a part of change.

As for Amy and Bevel, both of them are sad to see Red leave. Amy I think is being a little immature as she doesn't even want to understand nor accept that despite the fact that Red can enjoy himself, he's a soldier. And like all soldiers, he is willing to put himself in harm's way in order to protect her and the humans of Earth. However, it's okay for her to be immature because she's only a teenager and this is her first love. I think Bevel understands a bit more, but he's a kid and is not mature enough to understand that Red's been through.

And lastly there's Red who has found out that his SOS will never reach the Alliance and Chamber can't get there without help. He is stuck on Earth, maybe never to go home, and there is no one who in Gargantia who can understand or care about his plight. (I wanted to strangle Pinion this entire episode! Especially when he made light of the fact that Red can never go home. I hope a whalesquid Hideauze eats him!)
Nevertheless, like a good soldier, he is still willing to carry out his duty to take out the Earth Hideauze even if he knows that it will most likely be suicide. He is the only one who understands the Hideauze and he will not allow them to do to the people of Earth, what they did to the Galactic Alliance. He will fight them until the end.

I think this was a good episode and served to express the fact that change is on the horizon for everyone and that you can either accept it or get run over by it. Change will come whether you want it or not, whether you are ready for it or not.

I give this episode a 8/10.
IreneshardaMay 26, 2013 2:10 PM
May 26, 2013 2:06 PM

Dec 2009
Fai said:

Marow said:

I'm talking about between the characters in the series. They all go "woo woo Ledo stop it" despite him saying it's the enemy of humanity. It's like they don't care.

May 26, 2013 2:10 PM

Apr 2009
Awwww noooooo what'll happen to my Amy/Ledo? D:
May 26, 2013 2:20 PM

Jul 2007
Marow said:
Fai said:

Marow said:

I'm talking about between the characters in the series. They all go "woo woo Ledo stop it" despite him saying it's the enemy of humanity. It's like they don't care.

I was talking about Pinion. Its a personal vendetta for him. The implications have been that his brother ventured to whalesquid territory and died soon after returning.

AS for crew. well, Because FOR THEM its not the enemy of humanity.

They did not live the life Ledo lived(and most likely most of it was fake propaganda hiding a pointless genocide of otherwise harmless creatures humanity themselves created) and for them whalesquids is normal; part of life.

How would you react if some weirdo came into your room and started shouting that your goldfishes will eradicate humanity?
May 26, 2013 2:23 PM

Jun 2008
So sad :(. Excellent, excellent episode though. Really emotional, lot of stuff going on with a number of the characters.

Look forward to Ledo killing all sorts of whalesquids next episode, intriguing what will happen from there on out.
May 26, 2013 2:24 PM

Jul 2012
booooooooriiiiiiiing
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
May 26, 2013 2:26 PM

Aug 2011
So...... what happened?
May 26, 2013 2:26 PM

Apr 2013
Meh I don't know.. I can't seem to get sad or attached to any character of a 1-cour anime.. Even tho the events might be sad, I haven't felt affected at all while watching them. That doesn't make this episode bad, but my emotions were pretty neutral through out the 20 minutes.
May 26, 2013 2:27 PM

Dec 2009
Fai said:

How would you react if some weirdo came into your room and started shouting that your goldfishes will eradicate humanity?

I'd try to listen and understand.

May 26, 2013 2:34 PM
Aug 2011
Marow said:
They all go "woo woo Ledo stop it" despite him saying it's the enemy of humanity. It's like they don't care.

I didn't want anyone to die, now I'm hoping the Hideauze do actually kill the lot of them.
That's what they get for not listening.
Granted that life on Gargantia moves differently from what Ledo is used to but they aren't even taking an ounce of precaution.

Fai said:

If my goldfish were the size of a whale i'd be inclined to listen.
standMay 26, 2013 2:38 PM
May 26, 2013 2:43 PM

Nov 2012
parfaited said:
Marow said:
They all go "woo woo Ledo stop it" despite him saying it's the enemy of humanity. It's like they don't care.

I didn't want anyone to die, now I'm hoping the Hideauze do actually kill the lot of them.
Granted that life on Gargantia moves differently from what Ledo is used to but they aren't even taking an ounce of precaution.

Fai said:

And blackmailing you. I'd be pretty concerned by then.
May 26, 2013 2:51 PM
May 2013
Marow said:
Fai said:

Yeah right, now you`re talking. Sorry if its sounds rude and my grammar sounds bad, but its not working like that. In fact every normal person would react WTF man? How can my fishes be threat to anyone, I live with them in symbiosis and they didn`t try hurt me or anybody so far. Disbelive goes first. I knew that people will start complainin about characters. From last episode there was Ridget, now is Amy cause she cry for Ledo, who is all alone there and not for Melty, who seem to be rather enjoyed about it, plus she will be there with her grandpa, so not so lonely. Of course Amy was sad, but Melty lightened the mood, trying to change the subject on handsome boys. Also I think the pain from losing person, who you loved is greater than losing a friend (well , at least in my experience. I`ve always had feeling that we may see eachother someday with my friends, although to be separate from love I rather feel that we will never meet again and every moment whitout that person was like an years :'D). Sorry about my bad grammar, but I hope u will understand :').
May 26, 2013 2:55 PM

Apr 2008
Colascka said:
Marow said:
Fai said:

Yeah right, now you`re talking. Sorry if its sounds rude and my grammar sounds bad, but its not working like that. In fact every normal person would react WTF man? How can my fishes be threat to anyone, I live with them in symbiosis and they didn`t try hurt me or anybody so far. Disbelive goes first. I knew that people will start complainin about characters. From last episode there was Ridget, now is Amy cause she cry for Ledo, who is all alone there and not for Melty, who seem to be rather enjoyed about it, plus she will be there with her grandpa, so not so lonely. Of course Amy was sad, but Melty lightened the mood, trying to change the subject on handsome boys. Also I think the pain from losing person, who you loved is greater than losing a friend (well , at least in my experience. I`ve always had feeling that we may see eachother someday with my friends, although to be separate from love I rather feel that we will never meet again and every moment whitout that person was like an years :'D). Sorry about my bad grammar, but I hope u will understand :').

If they didn't try to hurt them ever then why do the people FEAR harming them. There had to have been an incident when they tried to harm or accidentally killed one and the rebuttal had to have been terrible if they became a sacred beast.
May 26, 2013 2:55 PM

Jul 2007
parfaited said:
Marow said:

Fai said:

So what you are saying is...

we should hunt down all elephants, whales, dolphins, squids, hippos and other animals of that size then?

Because despite co-habituating for gods know how long, some weirdo's from outer space words hold far more value than our entire history?

Darklight0303 said:
Colascka said:
Marow said:
Fai said:

If they didn't try to hurt them ever then why do the people FEAR harming them. There had to have been an incident when they tried to harm or accidentally killed one and the rebuttal had to have been terrible if they became a sacred beast.

In hinduism, cows are holy. Go figure.

Also yes, every life form in the world has a defensive mechanism.

And there are tribes and societies who worship various animals for various reasons. Why? because human rationalisation, that's why.

For everything and anything, whalesquids are no more dangerous than sharks, bears, wolves...or humans.
May 26, 2013 3:00 PM

Apr 2013
such a sad episode.. still really good i hope things turn out to be happier next episode
May 26, 2013 3:01 PM

Jan 2012
Ah finally the fated death, even though UroButcher isn't writing much of this I'm not surprised, it was really sad too. The fracturing of the fleet followed and the drama was rather well done. I know what they will find under sea as I saw the art from the official site, I wonder what it all means though, is it an ancient civilization like Atlantis from myths?

Looking forward to the next episode anyway and Amy was so cute as always 4/5
May 26, 2013 3:02 PM
May 2013
Darklight0303 said:
Colascka said:
Marow said:
Fai said:

Well in fact we don`t know the history of it. Maybe it killed someone in self defence, maybe someone tried to get to it nest and it reacted and people learned by this tried to not make it angry, while they do not own technology to kill it. The next episode will be about squid fight, so we will see who is right :') (maybe).
May 26, 2013 3:04 PM

Mar 2013
AlexGK said:
It fails at storytelling, that's my point. Its nothing even near plausible.
Here is the example from this episode. Ridget to be the new captain, what a joke. 22 years old, and so far acting like absolute moron. Sorry, not buying it.

What does 22 have to do with this. There has been many generals who are younger than 22.
May 26, 2013 3:08 PM

Jan 2012
civilization said:
AlexGK said:
It fails at storytelling, that's my point. Its nothing even near plausible.
Here is the example from this episode. Ridget to be the new captain, what a joke. 22 years old, and so far acting like absolute moron. Sorry, not buying it.

What does 22 have to do with this. There has been many generals who are younger than 22.

To be fair he pretty much raised her as his daughter a lot of her life as well and had her working beside him every day. The general was driven solely by protecting the fleet as a whole and believed she was the best one to carry on his judgment. I agree 22 is young though and it's obviously caused friction between the young and the old. Whoever was chosen though it would have probably been a similar outcome.
May 26, 2013 3:18 PM

Feb 2009
Now that all the slice of life part is done, we can move to the more serious part which

are more informations about the hideauze and maybe Ledo might fine a way to go

back to the alliance at the hideauze territories.
May 26, 2013 3:22 PM
Aug 2011
Fai said:

we should hunt down all elephants, whales, dolphins, squids, hippos and other animals of that size then?

No. Now you're reaching.

Fai said:
Because despite co-habituating for gods know how long, some weirdo's from outer space words hold far more value than our entire history?

If a pod causes a level of intimidation to a point where they have to power down their entire fleet just to keep them calm...then that's starting to go a little over what I would call co-habituating.

Yes because expressing at least a tiny bit of precaution means that they've chosen to completely devalue their entire history.

I really would like to think that at this point Ledo is not just "some wierdo".
If you're saying that then you might reconsider your thoughts on this being the best serious show of the season.
May 26, 2013 3:28 PM
Feb 2009
now must wait another week for some action ...
May 26, 2013 3:37 PM
May 2013
parfaited said:
Fai said:

No. Now you're reaching.

Fai said:

If a pod causes a level of intimidation to a point where they have to power down their entire fleet just to keep them calm...then that's starting to go a little over what I would call co-habituating.

Yes because expressing at least a tiny bit of precaution means that they've chosen to completely devalue their entire history.

I really would like to think that at this point Ledo is not just "some wierdo".
If you're saying that then you might reconsider your thoughts on this being the best serious show of the season.

Yes, but how does it started? Because Ledo kill one of this. It may imply that even when they would be killed, the new one would appeared and revenge the killed one. For instance I think that the co existing idea is good. Gargantians lives like this for many years and sguids seem to not making harm until they get attacked. Yet Gargantia doesn`t have a weapons, which would kill it and I don`t think that even Chamber could wipe them all at instance. But I can assume that everything will be twisted and in the end Ledo was right :'D.
May 26, 2013 3:44 PM

May 2010
Very sad episode.

Commander dies and Ledo leaves Amy. ; A ;

Ledo said he was going it for Amy too. <3
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
May 26, 2013 3:55 PM
May 2009
Fai said:

Difference is that we know we could easily destroy those animals if we really wanted to, humans have already driven some to extinction or close to it.

If some guy with super advanced tech, seemingly from a space faring civilisation came to tell me that hideauze would one day become a threat, I'd at least consider what he's saying. Even if they decide not to go to war straight away they should at least try and improve their fighting capabilities.
May 26, 2013 3:58 PM

Sep 2012
This anime really fails to grab my attention. Mediocre slice of life, uninteresting characters. Fortunately it's a short one.
May 26, 2013 5:12 PM

Aug 2012
If Ledo wasn't dumb as bricks, then maybe he could of convinced Ridget and others that the whale squids are a threat. All he does is ramble on about how they are bad and need to be killed, nothing beyond that. Chamber could probably give better arguements.

However I don't expect Ledo to be very capable... he was bred just to push buttons inside chamber and nothing else.

Funny how writers didn't make Bevel ask him some more questions about civilization in space and war with Hideaze. It would of been good for backstory.
May 26, 2013 5:15 PM
Oct 2010
00Bubbles00 said:
If Ledo wasn't dumb as bricks, then maybe he could of convinced Ridget and others that the whale squids are a threat. All he does is ramble on about how they are bad and need to be killed, nothing beyond that. Chamber could probably give better arguements.

However I don't expect Ledo to be very capable... he was bred just to push buttons inside chamber and nothing else.

Funny how writers didn't make Bevel ask him some more questions about civilization in space and war with Hideaze. It would of been good for backstory.

He probably doesn't know anything beyond that. I mean, judging from his conversations about them, what does he know about the hideauze other than they are a threat?
May 26, 2013 5:19 PM

Oct 2012
What a sad episode. Must say I shed a tear or two when the commander was rolled off into the ocean.
May 26, 2013 5:27 PM

Jun 2012
edevcimot said:
It's been really sad. I almost started crying when seeing Ridget's tears,

Ahhh same here the whole episode was done very well if it was able to move people enough that they felt really sad about the commander's death. Great episode it's also pretty sad that Ledo is leaving. Hopefully this plan to make money dosnt wind up being their downfall.

5/5
Very sad but well done.
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

May 26, 2013 5:31 PM

Aug 2012
skudoops said:
00Bubbles00 said:

He probably doesn't know anything beyond that. I mean, judging from his conversations about them, what does he know about the hideauze other than they are a threat?

Yes very likely. An ignorant hero is almost as bad as an amnesiac hero. It would be nice if Chamber gave a history lesson... like how long have they been fighting the hideaze and what the death toll on humanity has been.
May 26, 2013 5:41 PM
May 2011
PoeticJustice said:
Phenomenal episode. The funeral was really well done, props to Production I.G. It was a very sad episode though, but I love how the drama was not overdone and the emotion felt organic. I feel bad for Ledo though, he can never return to the alliance.

except if the treasute in whalesquide nest is a teleportation gate :p
May 26, 2013 6:01 PM

Jan 2009
so much drama this episode has
May 26, 2013 6:03 PM
Apr 2013
Interesting. What will happen now? Another very good episode. And I liked how tight knit the gargantian fleet is.
May 26, 2013 6:49 PM

Dec 2009
Colascka said:
Marow said:
Fai said:

I understand what you mean.

But I'd still listen. I mean, the guy has this huge robot, foreign language or something that makes it clear he isn't from our world, right?

Of course I would first answer with disbelief since it's not something I would be able to comprehend. And most likely argue too. But that's part of understanding and learning. And that's what I would do. I wouldn't completely ignore it.

May 26, 2013 7:40 PM

Mar 2012
This series actually works pretty well with a more series tone. It wasn't exactly emotionally moving for me (not sure what they were going for anyways, since I don't think most people are emotionally invested enough in the commander and Ridget for the whole thing to be tear-inducingly sad), but I like that we're getting a tone shift now, because it was getting kind of dry and substance-less about two to three episodes ago. Now we're at least getting the chance to reincorporate some elements introduced earlier in the show and tie it all together.
May 26, 2013 8:35 PM

Mar 2012
Good episode, really sux how Leto can no longer go home, and the fleets been split up heres to hoping nothing bad happens
May 26, 2013 8:36 PM

Jan 2011
This was a very sad and quite dramatic episode. The commodore died from his heart attack and made Ridget the commodore instead. Ledo can't go back to his home/space since it'll take thousands of years to send the beacon message across. The scenes with Amy wanting to see Ledo and her thinking about him made my heart ache. :S Amy and Ledo are now separated. Ledo is so fixated on killing every single Hideauze which reminds me of Eren from Attack on Titan being so fixated on killing every single titan. xD Overall, I really enjoyed this episode despite having no action.
5/5
May 26, 2013 9:16 PM

Jun 2012
Great episode, even without any action. Saddening, how things move on.

May 26, 2013 9:49 PM

Nov 2011
that execution...great! I don't care about the one who died but due to the flow you'll get sad. Plus it's not overdone like other shows.
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
May 26, 2013 9:55 PM

Jul 2009
damn does that mean only ledo for the next episode and NO AMY AND BELLOWS? NOOOOOOO!!!!!
May 26, 2013 10:01 PM

Apr 2012
Really sad ep that the cptn died. Almost really cried at one point, most be because of the atmosphere and the tone that was present in this ep.
Looks like their finally going into combat next ep.
Also sad that ledo can't go back. Maybe a planetary carrier will come get him in the future?
The Art of Shipping is no mere game. It can be small skirmishes to huge nation size wars.
Of course some will claim their ship is the BATTLESHIP but they all do. This is why battles occur because of factions fighting each other to justify their favourite ship.
And thus SHIP to SHIP combat occurs almost anytime even now.
Beware, Threading into the Shipping battlefield will be bloody.... What are you waiting for?
May 26, 2013 10:03 PM

Jul 2012
Damn Pinion royally fucked this up with his "city of gold treasure hunt" idea splitting the fleet. Interesting to see if they merge back together at the end after maybe a huge battle and loss vs the Whalesquids/Hidiaazu(sp?).

Great episode aside from the Captains death being so quick... as in he wakes up hands over the key then dies with in seconds...

Loved the faces Amy displayed while she was cooking over the conversation about Ledo.

Haha the comments in this series threads still have yet to disappoint...
Some of you need to read a bit more and expanding your thinking... or just keep posting highly comical post ^_^
lanfireMay 26, 2013 10:06 PM
May 26, 2013 10:42 PM

Feb 2012
Welp nothing much happened this week that we didn't expect, so there's not much to talk about theorywise. The exception would be the twist that the empire is far out of reach. Although it's a very realistic outcome if you presume he was just randomly flung into space, and he happened to be thrown to Earth, it still wasn't something which I was expecting (which is kinda funny).

I can see two ways for this to develop: 1) it'll stay as a story isolated from the empire 2) they will find some kinda ancient FTL drive, or a machine capable of sending high speed transmissions.

Unfortunately, for me the death scene held close to no emotional impact. We barely knew the guy, so I feel dedicating an entire episode to it was a bit too much. I also think the anime-cliche of going "I am weak and I can't do everything alone, so please help me everyone" is a bit silly. Personally I'd walk out on such a leader on the spot. Yeah, it's nice to be able to trust in others and delegate jobs properly, but at least present a solid plan for the future and show that you are a capable leader after putting yourself down.

Personally I'd have preferred if we were shown more interaction between the cast before they split off, instead of watching this much of the funeral procession.
Kellhus said:

GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
May 26, 2013 11:04 PM

Sep 2012
So Red isn't just brainwashed. He cares about Amy and that's why he wants to fight.
May 26, 2013 11:11 PM

May 2011
This was such a nicely done episode despite there being nothing much really happening. Amy and Ledo sure have gotten close with each other. =/ Those tears.

I just get a bad feeling about him fighting all of those hideauze.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

499 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jun 23, 2013

340 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2013

261 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

344 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

667 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.